Ultra Simple Diet

Bluestar said:
Gertrudes, if I may ask...? How is your pancreas? Can not remember where I read about it, but I believe the pancreas is where the body processes fats. There may be something to look into here.

Sorry for having taken so long to reply back Bluestar. I've been having very difficult access to the internet because I'm just getting settled in a new home at the moment.

Well, I really have no idea of the condition of my pancreas. And from my experience with the NHS here in UK, I won't be able to get any type of tests (assuming there's any) from them. Even to get my thyroid tested was difficult. Their motto seems to be, if you're not falling apart, then you don't need to test anything. It is partly understandable, considering the overwhelming number of patients for which the NHS does not seems to be capable to provide.
Thank you for the suggestion though, I will definitely keep that in mind, and once I get settled and have more time in my hands, will research the role of pancreas in one's overall health.

Mrs Tigesoap said:
Well, my skin glowed a bit and Tigersoap was trying to be very encouraging, I think Smiley. I see that yours is doing better (congrats!) and if I remember correctly, you were not eating any rice. I think i'm gonna try without rice for a while and see what happens.

You're right Mrs Tigersoap. I have not only cut out rice, but during the first 2 weeks also all grains. I've recently tested quinoa and buckwheat,which seem to be ok, but not yet rice. I did notice an incredible need to eat grains, and particularly rice, on that first week. And I also found strange to have had noticeable detox symptoms even though my previous diet excluded gluten (well, that was before the recent findings on gluten and rice), dairy, sugar, coffee and any processed food. So for now, I'm putting the detox effects down to rice, and a possible susceptibility to the gluten present in rice and lectins also found in legumes. I haven't yet tested either.

I think excluding rice is a good idea Mrs Tigersoap. If I recall correctly, several members have reported problems with it after having started the USD, this seems to be one of those grains that really is worth to test. In fact, it is perhaps better to test every grain, quite a few of us have reported some sort of intolerance to one or another grain, as your experience with quinoa and buckwheat also seems to indicate.

Mrs Tigersoap said:
I see that Laura pointed you in the direction of oestrogen dominance and decreasing fat intake, and since I think I might be concerned by that as well as since I tend to have tiny whiteheads appear at the slightest thing I eat wrong, I was thinking that maybe I should moderate my intake of fat as well. I have been eating a lot of it (at every meal, plus the fish oil supplements).

So far, whiteheads seem to be for me also the sign of having eaten something wrong. If you don't mind, I would be curious to know of whether any further changes in your diet has helped you. And good luck wit that!

Mrs Tigersoap said:
I will keep you posted in the oestrogen dominance thread.

Thank you Mrs Tigersoap!
Over the last coupe of days I have not yet had the time to read further on the subject or even order the cream. But once I have more time in my hands, I will order the cream first thing and report any changes here.

Angela said:
Endymion said:
Laura said:
Yes, the cessation of cravings for sweets and carbs in general is one of the benefits of adding more fats and meat and starting the day with them.

I hadn't considered carb craving to be linked to fat consumption, but, yes, I am also finding that I want to eat less carbs and more veggies. I have easily and naturally cut down on the amount of rice I eat. Very interesting!

This is so true! Before starting the Ultra Simple Diet I couldn't imagine ever being able to give up bread, coffee, alcohol or sugar. Having been on the diet for around a month now, I don't crave anything and rarely feel hungry. I feel really satisfied all the time and quite peaceful inside if that makes any sense.

I've also been experiencing this. After having cut out carbs, my need for meat or fish has increased immensely. I find myself also eating it in the morning, and doubling my doses of vegetables. I'm eating a lot more but have lost weight. However, I do feel more satisfied, and similar to you Angela, somehow my body feels more at peace. Lately, 2 different persons have asked me if I have been to the beach because I look tanned. I've been spending more time indoors then ever, my skin has just gained more colour!

Gertrudes said:
After having cut out carbs, my need for meat or fish has increased immensely. I find myself also eating it in the morning, and doubling my doses of vegetables. I'm eating a lot more but have lost weight. However, I do feel more satisfied, and similar to you Angela, somehow my body feels more at peace.

Yeah, I've found the same thing. I still can hardly believe it, but I've been eating meat in the morning almost every day. Once you get used to it, it actually feels really natural to do so, and it does seem to increase energy. I know what you mean about that feeling of peace, it sounds odd, but it feels like my body is satisfied or content, maybe for the first time in my life. Not surprising considering I ate mostly carbs all my life.

Mrs T said:
We have introduced plenty of animal fats (ghee, duck/goose fat, fat from bacon I cook), I take 10 to 15 g of fish oil a day (and digestive enzymes).

Mrs T, where do you get ghee and duck fat from?! I've been looking all over but only saw fancy duckfat in a tin which basically means that it needs to be eaten soon after opening.

manitoban said:
Yeah, I've found the same thing. I still can hardly believe it, but I've been eating meat in the morning almost every day. Once you get used to it, it actually feels really natural to do so, and it does seem to increase energy. I know what you mean about that feeling of peace, it sounds odd, but it feels like my body is satisfied or content, maybe for the first time in my life. Not surprising considering I ate mostly carbs all my life.

Back in the day, I used to do the Atkins diet, which was based mostly on meat and no carbs. I always felt draggy, and constipated eating just meat. Probably wasn't eating enough vegetables though. Still, as a type A, I do have problems eating large quantites of any type of meat, but especially red meat. Even having chicken or turkey every day is too much, I need to have fish or something else in the middle. Now that we're supposed to be off the rice, beans and lugumes, it's gonna be harder to find protein sources other than meat, since tofu is also a no-no. :huh:

Smoked fish is nice in the mornings. Salmon, herring, mackerel. I bet when you were eating meat before, you weren't getting enough fats in addition to not enough veggies. And don't leave off supplements like plenty of magnesium to keep things moving.

Mrs Peel said:
Back in the day, I used to do the Atkins diet, which was based mostly on meat and no carbs. I always felt draggy, and constipated eating just meat. Probably wasn't eating enough vegetables though. Still, as a type A, I do have problems eating large quantites of any type of meat, but especially red meat. Even having chicken or turkey every day is too much, I need to have fish or something else in the middle. Now that we're supposed to be off the rice, beans and lugumes, it's gonna be harder to find protein sources other than meat, since tofu is also a no-no.

Laura said:
I bet when you were eating meat before, you weren't getting enough fats in addition to not enough veggies. And don't leave off supplements like plenty of magnesium to keep things moving.

Laura's got a point. I'm a type A, too, and for a long time I wouldn't eat red meat, only fish once a week or so and occasionally chicken. Having recently started eating various meats and plenty of fats, I see now that fats were the problem, not the meat. Which basically blows D'Adamo and his four types out of the water. The only animal fat he mentions for type A is cod liver oil, and that's in the 'neutral' section – no mention of lard or ghee or beef dripping. He says that type A should avoid bacon, pork, lamb and others and that there are no meats that are beneficial for us. And yet, here I am regularly eating the meats that D'Adamo tells me to avoid, and what I would previously have considered to be huge quantities of animal fats, and I feel great.

It's interesting that fats are such a huge blind spot in our society, even for people who are open-minded about other things. The low- or no-fat message is pushed relentlessly by the media, in supermarkets, by the medical establishment, so it's no wonder people believe it. I had a huge fats blind-spot and because of that I was looking for the solution in the wrong places, always feeling a subtle tension in my body and a hankering for something unknown, which manifested as carb and sweet craving.

manitoban said:
Gertrudes said:
After having cut out carbs, my need for meat or fish has increased immensely. I find myself also eating it in the morning, and doubling my doses of vegetables. I'm eating a lot more but have lost weight. However, I do feel more satisfied, and similar to you Angela, somehow my body feels more at peace.

Meat in the morning, and PLENTY of fats, really sets me up for the day. I take digestive enzymes to help digestion, otherwise my stomach feels, well, 'fatty', but the enzymes clear that up in no time. I too have the feeling that my body is at peace and satisfied, and like others, this is for the first time in my adult life. I like bacon in the mornings. I cut it into smallish pieces, and cook it in plenty of lard and ghee, with a chopped onion, slowly on a low heat for about 20 – 30 minutes. All the fat keeps the bacon tender and after that length of time the onions get really delicious. This morning I'm having lamb instead of bacon, but cooked the same way. Lovely!

Taking enzymes like Ox Bile when you start eating good saturated fats is important. Eating fats wakes up your liver and many people have very sluggish livers and that's one reason we are so toxic. Not only are we getting toxins from our environment, food, water, etc, we are not stimulating the liver to regularly and copiously dump bile to digest fats. So everything is "constipated" there and you will need to take bile salts for a period until you clear out.

It will also take months for the fatty surfaces of all the cells in your body to be restored with good fats, replacing the plastic coatings that pass as cell membranes in most people. This will begin to re-activate the cell communications in your body that have been stymied and shut down for years. You will begin to make normal hormones in normal amounts too, once this intra-cellular communication is restored.

But it is a process and you'll go through some detoxing to get to the end. Your body wasn't built in a day and you didn't get toxic overnight. Giving the body the high-quality materials it needs to build itself is only the first step!

Kniall said:
Mrs T, where do you get ghee and duck fat from?! I've been looking all over but only saw fancy duckfat in a tin which basically means that it needs to be eaten soon after opening.

Hi Kniall,

There is a pond near our house with a few peacefull ducks but they weren't really agreeing on to get a liposuction so we finally found some in Uccle at a Sequoia superstore, it's in small glass jar.
We make our own ghi but you can buy some at Shanti ;)

Tigersoap said:
Kniall said:

Hi Kniall,

There is a pond near our house with a few peacefull ducks but they weren't really agreeing on to get a liposuction so we finally found some in Uccle at a Sequoia superstore, it's in small glass jar.
We make our own ghi but you can buy some at Shanti ;)

Thanks, I'll check out the pond. Don't worry, I'll bring the ducks round to the idea ;D

Laura said:
Smoked fish is nice in the mornings. Salmon, herring, mackerel. I bet when you were eating meat before, you weren't getting enough fats in addition to not enough veggies. And don't leave off supplements like plenty of magnesium to keep things moving.

Well, I had organic chicken sausage with fried onions for dinner last night, along with a bit of quinoa and sweet potato, and made buckwheat pancakes this morning with a little of the left-over chicken sausage. Drinking ultrabroth also. Bleh, I have absolutely no energy now. so I don't know if it's the buckwheat or chicken sausage. Or if it just takes a while to clean out and get one's energy level up.

Mrs. Peel said:
Laura said:

Well, I had organic chicken sausage with fried onions for dinner last night, along with a bit of quinoa and sweet potato, and made buckwheat pancakes this morning with a little of the left-over chicken sausage. Drinking ultrabroth also. Bleh, I have absolutely no energy now. so I don't know if it's the buckwheat or chicken sausage. Or if it just takes a while to clean out and get one's energy level up.

I have to say, the first few times I took enzymes with extra ox bile, it made me feel pretty bad. I learned then that I need the ox bile when I eat something cooked in lard like chicken fried chicken (gluten free, made with buckwheat pancake batter). Its taken me several weeks to even get to this point. Before starting the diet (almost 5 months ago) eating anything cooked in lard would have doubled me over in pain. Then I couldn't even look at eating lamb or pork ribs. Now they can be eaten in moderation, as long as its also served with plenty of veggies.

Its a long process to clear the liver out gently, but an approach that is well worth it. You might try taking L-glutamine in the mornings to help your intestines, and only add in the extra enzymes on a meal by meal basis. If you have problems with diarrhea, try a fiber product called Konjac Root, or Glucomannan. I've had good results with it during days I forget to eat a meal. I think if you take it a meal at a time and watch your vitamin B levels, you'll find things improving. :)

Another way to get the liver going is to do coffee enemas. Once you get over the squeamish factor, they're actually pretty amazing and you'll even look forward to them! It really makes your entire body feel clean and clear. I've noticed doing two rounds, if you have the time, is a bit more effective than just doing one. Probably because it picks up all the toxins that released during the first round.

I haven't tried ox bile yet. I'll have to try it out.

I completed the first week of restarting the Ultra Simple diet yesterday. So far, progress is good. I was a little concerned that being on the last round of the DMSA detox would mask any possible toxic symptoms – after almost three months of detoxing mercury it is difficult to know what is a normal reaction any more. :) To help sort this out I used the pulse Cocoa pulse test suggested by Murphree/Wilson in their books and a version I got from the Candida thread. Wilson does give a warning that this test is less than effective for those who have moderate to severe adrenal fatigue, that’s OK for me as the last time I tested it was mild. So far, on this basis, no reactions to turkey, chicken, salmon, sardines or mackerel, and OK with the suggested steamed vegetables and using ghee to sauté the turkey and chicken, and to smother the vegetables with. And, I’ve lost 3.5 pounds. :)

The only reactions during the week were excess flatulence building up to Saturday evening with slight stomach-ache, and light headedness, and a lot more energy too – all of which I put down to the DMSA detox. I started using hemp protein powder on Sunday, and boy does it make a really thick shake with two scoops! I experienced extreme flatulence that morning which made me wonder about hemp, but the pulse tests said it was OK. Today there is no reaction at all after breakfast.

I did wonder about using one scoop only, until I checked the properties of the Hemp and Brown Rice protein powders per 30 gms: Energy 110Kcal (H) – 106Kcal (R); Protein 14g (H) – 22.5g (R); Carbs 9g – 5.7g; Fibre 8g – 205g; Fat 2.5g – 0.6g, and the added bonus of omega-3 0.2, omega-6 1.4, and omega-9 0.4 for the hemp protein powder. So, I’ll stick to two scoops to get the protein in (38g per scoop – rice was 37g).

This week, I’ll start introducing olive oil, and buckwheat :), and see how that goes.

That's great to hear, Trevrizent. Was the flatulence and stomach ache a reaction from a bad food or just a general reaction? I was suffering from similar symptoms until my weekly coffee enema got rid of it.

I've been on the Ultra Simple Diet for a few weeks now and I'm enjoying the food so much that I've only gotten around to testing a few foods so far, such as red meat, buckwheat and garlic. Nonetheless, deep fried sweet potato fries go down a treat with a sprinkling of buckwheat flour, salt and pepper. This diet has inspired me so much that I'm going to grow my own veggies.

I ate chicken and an hour later I ended up with a headache, only to discover the chicken contained traces of chilli from previous cooking! I used to be able to eat chilli with no issue, you know, back when my body was non-functional.

My hemp protein powder just arrived today and I put it straight in the fridge. It's supposed to be kept cool to preserve the nutrients, apparently. Has anyone else read this?

Back
Top Bottom