Ultra Simple Diet

Mrs. Peel said:
Hi,

What is the bare minimum of supplements one can take while doing the sauna? A vit C and multimineral? It seems the more supplements I take, the worse I feel in terms of hot flashes and feeling draggy. I think my body can't handle a lot of supplements at once, even when I try and spread them throughout the day. I quit using the FIR blanket I felt so weird afterwards for days, lightheaded and feeling like I was floating out of my body. That was the one time I called an ambulance cause I thought I was having a heart attack!

Now I have just got the freestanding sauna put together, I don't want to start gobbling supplements and feeling weird again after using it.

I'm no expert in the health realm, but it seems to me that you need to pay close attention to your body. If something is making you feel bad, then stop exposure to it, or stop taking it. I'm at the point where if I take anything before the sauna, it is only water and magnesium - BUT - I've been doing the sauna for well over a year now, so just because that seems to work for me doesn't mean it would work for you. I'm sure Psyche will have better advice! :)

Mrs. Peel said:
Hi,

What is the bare minimum of supplements one can take while doing the sauna? A vit C and multimineral?

That is good enough. :)

Mrs. Peel said:
It seems the more supplements I take, the worse I feel in terms of hot flashes and feeling draggy. I think my body can't handle a lot of supplements at once, even when I try and spread them throughout the day. I quit using the FIR blanket I felt so weird afterwards for days, lightheaded and feeling like I was floating out of my body. That was the one time I called an ambulance cause I thought I was having a heart attack!

Now I have just got the freestanding sauna put together, I don't want to start gobbling supplements and feeling weird again after using it.

Another possibility might be yeast overgrowth, as it can ferment the foods you eat into alcohol or other toxins that can make you feel this way. If there is yeast overgrowth, it can ferment supplements as well and that is why some have very negative reactions to supplements that are supposed to make them feel good.

Doing the diet should help you with this issue though. The elimination diet is already low in sugar and it helps you treat food sensibilities. I would then give a candida treatment a try (either natural or conventional), but the diet is still the first line of treatment.

Psyche said:
If there is yeast overgrowth, it can ferment supplements as well and that is why some have very negative reactions to supplements that are supposed to make them feel good.

Another thing to consider for those who find that they are not getting good results with their supplements is low stomach acidity.

If you have low stomach acid, you can not digest your food properly and that can manifest as a malnutrition or degenerative disease. You can't get the raw materials and building blocks needed to make enzymes, proteins, to have energy, to detox properly, etc.

For example, Dr. John Wright says that women in their twenties and thirties who are losing a lot of their hair often have too little stomach acid and pepsin. So they don't digest protein, and hair is made of protein. Macular degeneration is also tied to low stomach acid. It seems that blood type A people tend to have lower stomach acidity as well and O types have higher stomach acidity which is why they can digest meat so effectively.

This is another reason why it is recommended to not have magnesium supplements after eating (or alkalinizing supplements), as it can lower stomach acidity needed for digestion.

We have discussed acid reflux in the forum before, and notice that an effective treatment is actually hydrochloric acid and not what conventional medicine will make us believe: antacids. The later actually has made the malnutrition conditions and degenerative diseases worse as they lower even further stomach acidity.

50% of people over 60 years old has less stomach acid produced in their stomachs than is necessary to completely digest their food. If they don't have the raw nutrients for healing, then they can get stuck in a vicious cycle. If they are low in hydrochloric acid (stomach acid), they can't get their nutrients from healthy foods and even supplements.

Other than the digestive enzymes, their is also supplements with hydrochloric acid (HCl). I grabbed this protocol for GERD, reflux and heartburn from Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and CFS, where HCL is recommended if the digestive enzymes didn't worked:

Supplementing with hydrochloric acid (HCl)

Adequate protein intake, digestive enzyme supplementation, and
a relaxed emotional state can help increase stomach acidity, but
supplementation might also be necessary. Follow the guidelines
below.

Don’t take HCl if you’ve been diagnosed with a peptic ulcer. And
since HCl can irritate sensitive tissue and corrode teeth, take it
in capsule form only, and don’t empty capsules into food or bever-
ages. I recommend that you take pancreatic enzymes along with
the HCl.

1. Take one “betaine HCl with pepsin” capsule, containing
600–650 mg. of hydrochloric acid and 100–200 mg. of pepsin,
at the beginning of your meal. Continue taking one capsule with
each meal for the next five days.
2. After five days, increase your dose to two capsules with each
meal. Continue this dose for five days.
3. If you are experiencing no side effects (such as warmth, full-
ness, or other odd sensation in your stomach), increase your
dose by one capsule each day until you do. Ten reduce your
dose by one capsule at your next meal.
4. Establish a comfortable per-meal dose (five capsules or fewer),
and continue at that level. As your stomach regains the ability
to produce an adequate concentration of HCl, you will prob-
ably require fewer capsules. Listen to your body, and reduce
your dose as necessary. You may wish to reduce your number of
capsules at smaller
meals.
5. Be consistent. Individuals with low HCl and pepsin typically don’t
respond as well to botanicals and supplements, so to
maximize the benefits, keep up the supplementation as
directed.

More info on the topic in this post: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=488.msg71591#msg71591

Digestive Enzymes: Poor adrenal function is often associated with poor digestion and low gastric acidity. It is probably best to use digestive enzymes that contain hydrochloric acid (usually found as Betaine Hydrochloride). Typically one would take 1-2 capsules during each meal (amount depends of the size of the meal). Getting heartburn or acid reflux may not mean that you make too much acid. Often, not enough acid is present and the reason for the burning is insufficient protection of the stomach lining. This can be improved by:

* Water: Drinking adequate amounts of water daily, 8-10 glasses or more.
* DGL: Sucking or chewing on DGL (deglycerrhyzenized licorice) 5-30 minutes prior to eating. This stimulates the production of protective gastric (stomach) mucous secretions.
* Slippery Elm: taken 5-30 minutes before a meal also helps produce protective gastric secretions.

Rarely, burning can be due to excessive acid production. This can be established by performing a Heidelberg test for gastric acidity or by doing the ‘poor man's test’ of taking the digestive acid after several days of building up the mucous lining of the stomach. If there is a burning sensation with the added acid, and there is a good chance the acid is not needed. A half teaspoon of bicarbonate in a half glass of water or some over-the-counter antacid should relieve the burning immediately. In such a case, one should not take the additional hydrochloric acid with the digestive enzymes. Instead, one may only need plain digestive enzymes without acid or not need the digestive enzymes at all. Do not try taking the acid if you have a history of bleeding ulcers. Consult with your physician.

Mercola also wrote about it in this article:

Antacids Pose Unique Dangers for Seniors

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/01/antacids-pose-unique-dangers-for-seniors.aspx

[...] Heartburn, acid reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcer disease and other acid-related conditions are extremely common, and as a result acid-reducing drugs like Zantac, Pepcid, Prevacid and Nexium are among the most widely prescribed medications in the world.

Unfortunately, the drugs are so common that they’re handed out for countless cases of mild indigestion, heartburn and even for “preventive” measures. But these drugs are not only vastly overused … they’re very dangerous as well and in many cases will only make the underlying problem worse.

Acid-Reducers Common Among Seniors

If you have seen a conventional physician for any of the above complaints, there’s a strong likelihood that you’ve been offered an acid-reducing drug as a solution. Likewise, if you’ve been in the hospital recently, you may have even been given the drugs as a solely “preventive” measure.

In one study of 213 patients admitted to the University of Michigan Hospital, only 29 percent were taking acid-reducing drugs before they entered the hospital, but this rose to 70 percent upon admission. Further, half continued taking the drugs unnecessarily after they went home.

This is a serious problem, especially for seniors who are not only at an increased risk of the drugs’ side effects, but who may take the drugs for far longer than they should.

One Canadian study even found that use of the acid-reducing proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) rose 60 percent among seniors from 2001 to 2008, while also showing that an increasing number of the elderly were using the drugs for longer periods of time.

It’s not uncommon for seniors to remain on acid-reducing drugs for up to 15 years at a time, which could have devastating health consequences.

Why are Acid-Reducing Drugs Dangerous, Especially for Seniors?

It’s a two-fold problem beginning with the fact that proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are drugs that VERY effectively block your stomach’s ability to produce acid.

While that may sound like a good thing, in most cases it is the absolute worst approach possible for problems like heartburn and acid reflux, as typically with these conditions your stomach is producing too little stomach acid.

So taking these drugs will only WORSEN your condition.

According to Mitchell Katz, director of the San Francisco Department of Public Health who wrote an editorial on this topic, PPIs are only warranted for the treatment of:

* Bleeding ulcers
* Infection with the ulcer-causing bacteria Helicobacter pylori
* Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (a rare condition that causes your stomach to produce excess acid)
* Severe acid reflux, where an endoscopy has confirmed that your esophagus is damaged

PPIs were never intended for people with heartburn, and according to Katz, "about 60 to 70 percent of people taking these drugs have mild heartburn and shouldn't be on them."

However, I believe the number may be even higher than that, because there are over 16,000 articles supporting the fact that suppressing stomach acid does NOT treat Helicobacter pylori infection, which Katz included above.

One of the explanations for this is that when you suppress the amount of acid in your stomach, you decrease your body’s ability to kill the helicobacter bacteria. So it actually makes your condition worse and perpetuates the problem.

Did Your Doctor Tell You About These Serious Side Effects?

PPIs are also touted as being completely safe, when in reality they carry steep risks. One of the primary concerns is that reducing acid in your stomach diminishes your primary defense mechanism for food-borne infections, which will increase your risk of food poisoning and also your risk of infection with Clostridium difficile, a harmful intestinal bacteria that is common in the elderly.

PPIs also increase the risk of other ailments that seniors are already at an increased risk for, making their risks exponentially higher:

* Pneumonia
* Bone loss
* Hip fractures

The risk of a bone fracture has been estimated to be over 40 percent higher in patients who use these drugs long-term, which again applies to many seniors.

Additionally, if you fail to digest and absorb your food properly, which can occur if you suppress your stomach acid, you will not only increase your risk of stomach atrophy but also nearly every other chronic degenerative disease.

The drugs also lead to both tolerance and dependence on them, so unfortunately you can't stop taking them without suffering repercussions, which may be even worse than your original symptoms.

If you’re already taking a PPI, you'll want to get on a lower dose than you're on now, and then gradually decrease your dose even further. Once you get down to the lowest dose of the proton pump inhibitor, you can start substituting with an over-the-counter H2 blocker like Tagamet, Cimetidine, Zantac, or Raniditine.

Then gradually wean off the H2 blocker over the next several weeks while implementing the lifestyle strategies addressed below.[...]

He mentions the hydrochloric acid supplements as well.

Psyche said:
This is another reason why it is recommended to not have magnesium supplements after eating (or alkalinizing supplements), as it can lower stomach acidity needed for digestion.

Oh-oh. I've always taken magnesium with meals and other supplements. So I should be taking in by itself on an empty stomach then?

I do think I have low stomach acid, even though I've never had acid reflux. I think the Blood Type diet recommended coffee as beneficial for Type A because of the low acid problem, but then you get the caffeine.

Lately I've tried this "ox bile factors" stuff with meals in addition to probiotics in the morning on an empty stomach. I may be taking too many or too often cause I've gotten terrible gaseous cramps and the runs from it. But at least it cleans me out! ;) I'm going to cut down on the dosage and see what happens.

You can try taking the magnesium 20' before eating or a couple of hours after eating. I eat and take the magnesium with me and put them in front of my desk so I won't forget to take them when my stomach doesn't feel full.

Looking over this vast board of diet and health it seems that anything that is mass produced is bad...pure and simple!

I see the big four are Gluten, Dairy, Sugar and Soy. I'm wondering if eliminating all in one go would be too difficult and thinking of doing one at a time.

I don't consume much Soy, in fact, if I do consume it, it would be simply because it is already in some food I bought and would be consuming it unaware.

I was wondering out of the four which would be the best one to eliminate first from a health point of view?

Dingo said:
Looking over this vast board of diet and health it seems that anything that is mass produced is bad...pure and simple!

I see the big four are Gluten, Dairy, Sugar and Soy. I'm wondering if eliminating all in one go would be too difficult and thinking of doing one at a time.

I don't consume much Soy, in fact, if I do consume it, it would be simply because it is already in some food I bought and would be consuming it unaware.

I was wondering out of the four which would be the best one to eliminate first from a health point of view?

I would say sugar but I am not an expert.

However if you are planning to eliminate them one at a time, why not beginning by the easiest one for you up to the most difficult as the last one. Doing that will help you self confidence to achieve that goal.

FWIW

Gandalf said:
However if you are planning to eliminate them one at a time, why not beginning by the easiest one for you up to the most difficult as the last one. Doing that will help you self confidence to achieve that goal.

I'm no expert either, but I think dairy (milk, cheese) would be easiest to avoid. Then following that would be sugar, using the replacements suggested on this forum. In my opinion, gluten would be the most difficult. Soy would be reasonably hard too, mostly as a hidden ingredient.

Also, don't forget coffee. I found this the hardest to give up. Maybe leave that one to last? :P

For me, it was easiest in this order: soy, gluten, dairy, sugar.

Just wanted to post my recent experience on the ultra simple diet.....
I'd tried onions a few weeks back (thanks to the onion rings recipe) and seemed to do fine...although did notice that they stung my mouth a little, so kept an eye on them.
The last few weeks my soup has had onions in, and yesterday I did a chicken pie with a very large onion in......well after eating my evening meal (soup followed by pie) I had really bad gas and bloating....went to bed early (woke up a few times but felt quite refreshed)...only to wake up feeling like a truck had hit me.
Called in sick to work and spent the day snoozing on the sofa.

Looked up sulphur containing foods and it seem that's sulphur in the form of thiols can (after they reach a certain threshold) mobilise mercury in the body......posted what I found here, if anyone is having trouble with these foods it may be worth considering.

I don't have fillings, but my mum does and I ate tuna for a few years quite regularly at university....so am thinking (along with all the other data) I may need to do a mercury detox sooner rather than later......
Could have been just an immune reaction, but my stomach felt fine (beyond the gas).....my body felt like it had the flu and I just wanted to sleep...is this what you feel like doing mercury detox?? Have taken loads of vitamin C and magnesium today.

Gandalf said:
I would say sugar but I am not an expert.

Nathan said:
Gandalf said:

I'm no expert either, but I think dairy (milk, cheese) would be easiest to avoid. Then following that would be sugar, using the replacements suggested on this forum. In my opinion, gluten would be the most difficult. Soy would be reasonably hard too, mostly as a hidden ingredient.

Also, don't forget coffee. I found this the hardest to give up. Maybe leave that one to last? :P
Laura said:
For me, it was easiest in this order: soy, gluten, dairy, sugar.

Thanks guys. I actually decided gluten first. Seeing from the responses it is obvious they are all as bad as each other, so I decided to go with the one that I consume the most.

I did my first gluten free baking last night - gluten free scones, using gluten free flour and gluten free baking powder (didn't even know that the baking powder I had in the cupboard was gluten free, that was a relief!).

I made them after making a bean, lentil and vegetable soup. Not bad!

Cheers

Dingo said:
I did my first gluten free baking last night - gluten free scones, using gluten free flour and gluten free baking powder (didn't even know that the baking powder I had in the cupboard was gluten free, that was a relief!).

Was the gluten free flour actually called "gluten free flour"? The reason I ask is because all the gluten free flour packets I've encountered tend to include soy and rice flour (which is brown rice -- with it's troublesome lectins). Same goes for gluten free pasta, they usually incorporate rice and soy flour. Why not try buckwheat flour next time? Or quinoa.

In Australian supermarkets, you can find buckwheat in the health food aisle for about $6 per 500g. Much like xylitol, it's substantially cheaper if you order online and buy in bulk, despite the cost of postage. I managed to get 10kg buckwheat flour for $86, which works out to $8.60 per kg. And also managed to get 25kg xylitol (2 years supply? lol) for $217, also about $8.60 per kg. Health food stores will charge you $25 per kg!

Nathan said:
Dingo said:

Was the gluten free flour actually called "gluten free flour"? The reason I ask is because all the gluten free flour packets I've encountered tend to include soy and rice flour (which is brown rice -- with it's troublesome lectins). Same goes for gluten free pasta, they usually incorporate rice and soy flour. Why not try buckwheat flour next time? Or quinoa.

Hi Nathan,
The flour is Orgrans all purpose Gluten Free plain flour. I notice the ingredients say Maize Starch, Tapioca Flour, Rice Flour, Vegetable Gums: Guar

So is brown rice no longer part of this ultra simple diet? :scared:

In my elimination testing of Gluten Free flours and starches, I've thrown an awful lot away this last two weeks (Tapioca, Chestnut, Potato, Corn, Maize, Rice, and Gram)! Just down to buckwheat and Quinoa (have yet to get amaranth to test).

This means a major revision of much of my past baking practice with G-F flours. :( However, it does mean falling in line with the new Paleo cookbook. :) All singing from the same song sheet.

Dingo said:
Hi Nathan,
The flour is Orgrans all purpose Gluten Free plain flour. I notice the ingredients say Maize Starch, Tapioca Flour, Rice Flour, Vegetable Gums: Guar

So is brown rice no longer part of this ultra simple diet? Scared

Hi Dingo,

Brown rice seems to be problematic due to its lectin content. You can find out more about it here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=18702.msg178207#msg178207

Recently it has also been found that rice has a particular type of gluten. You can check it out on the Rice Milk thread in the recipe section, starting from Laura's post: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=15332.msg187119#msg187119
So it is advisable to cut out rice and then test it to see how it goes.

Not wanting to overwhelm you with more food restrictions, but I noticed that the flour you mentioned has Maize starch. It seems that corn can also be an inflammatory food for many of us. Once you start cutting out foods, this would be one that's worth to cut out eventually, just in case. You can then test it back and see how it goes.

An update on the diet:
So far I haven't had any other reactions apart from my skin reacting to certain foods. It seems that I can't have any fat apart from olive oil, which is very restricting. The other day I ate chicken thighs which had reminiscences of tiny bits of fat, they were so microscopic that I didn't trouble myself to clean them. Well, that was enough to cause a visible reaction, an egg shaped bump on my forehead again.

I have already ordered the progesterone cream, it is coming from the USA, so it is taking a while to get here.
While reading further on progesterone deficiency, it did sound like something that I could very well be suffering from, and thank you Laura for pointing that out, it wouldn't have crossed my mind. This would explain my apparent intolerance to fats.
I'll report here after I've tried it.

Back
Top Bottom