Ultra Simple Diet

Having made my first batch of ultra broth this weekend, I then pureed the left over 'vegetables' as a base for soups. However, I was wondering how much nutrition is left in the vegetables after simmering for two hours.

Okay, thanks Psyche.

Trevrizent said:
However, I was wondering how much nutrition is left in the vegetables after simmering for two hours.

Yes, there's a lot of veg there at the end and I did think it a shame to throw it away; maybe that's a 'don't waste food' program, maybe it's not.

For anyone thinking of making the broth and hasn't got round to it yet, I'd say go for it. The one I made yesterday was absolutely delicious. I'd never made broth/soup before and I think I had the heat too high because I was left with very little after two hours :lol:

So my advice would be use your biggest pan, fill it as full as you dare and don't have the heat too fierce. Oh, keep the lid on from the beginning, too.

Incognito said:
Thanks so much Laura, I just started reading the book, took the tests and my brain is barely working. I knew it was bad, but didn't realize the extent of vitamin and mineral depletion. :O Almost zero protein in my diet as well. Soooo....... off to the store to get what I don't have for the shake.

FYI for anyone looking for rice protein. (US)
Since I'm always trying to save money, I found a less expensive Brown rice protein source(non-gmo) from Jarrow for $7.29 a pound. (less expensive than the health food stores around here anyway)

Hi, I am just embarking on the programme as well. Does anyone in Europe/UK have a recommendation for a good supplier of Rice protein? I'm finding an affordable one hard to find. I looked for the Jarrow one above but can't find it here in the UK.

slowone

The only rice protein I could find in the UK was from aggressivehealthshop.co.uk, a one Kg tub of Raw Vegan SunWarrior Protein for GBP40. I don't know if this expensive, OK, or not. I have nothing to compare with from the UK. This may or may not help you.

Great subject.

Could I kindly ask for some assistance regarding diet?

Is it fine to use some other sweetener in Laura's shake in stead of xylitol, like honey for example?
Is it 3 to 4 weeks enough of time to provide natural balance in our bodies with this kind of diet and than gradually to extend menu with other possibilities?
Should we repeat this kind of diet often and if yes in what intervals?

Thanks in advance and greetings to whole group.

jubazo said:
Great subject.

Is it fine to use some other sweetener in Laura's shake in stead of xylitol, like honey for example?

To my understanding, honey is not recommended due to it feeding the candida. Xylitol or stevia is recommended.

jubazo said:
Is it 3 to 4 weeks enough of time to provide natural balance in our bodies with this kind of diet and than gradually to extend menu with other possibilities?
Should we repeat this kind of diet often and if yes in what intervals?

It depends. If you are battling candida than a few months on the strict diet is probably best, followed by slowly introducing other foods and watching for reactions - but the base diet is more of a long term lifestyle change. Also, the general diet is not just something to be done for a short time or periodically. I'm fairly certain this has all been covered in the threads on diet and health, though.

Laura,

I just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion/reminder to use some protein in the shake. I've been meaning to add some protein as I often feel tired (I'm basically vegan- occasional fresh butter in cooking; I have been taking fish oil supplements though. Blood type A here). I found some rice protein powder that wasn't too expensive and I feel it gave me an extra burst of energy throughout the afternoon. I have been doing my shakes later in the day rather than breakfast- been having oatmeal/quinoa/other hot GF cereal for breakfast with berries as of late, and am too full to have the shake then. I always have had problems with the afternoon- I get pretty stupid from 1-5pm or so. Luckily this works out okay with my work schedule- I'm a musician and often have gigs that run into the wee hours, but I'd like to not be confined to this, y'know? Anyway, this has been a big help to me the last few days. I am hoping to try hemp protein the next time (they were out)- it is actually cheaper at $10/lb locally (probably even less online) and it's supposed to be a big source of magnesium among other things.

My wife and I both started the diet today but ran into a bump. To both of us the shakes are really bad (have bad undertones of taste, and consistency) and we pretty much both gagged trying to drink our first one. Everything else has been fine.

I'm going to try blending longer, etc. but has anyone found an alternative to the shakes? For reference, our shakes were made with rice powder, flax seed, borage oil, water, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

anart said:
jubazo said:
Great subject.

To my understanding, honey is not recommended due to it feeding the candida. Xylitol or stevia is recommended.
In the Ultra Simple Diet book it explicitly mentions Xylitol in a list of sugar alcohol sweeteners and other sweeteners that should be avoided. It didn't single Xylitol out, but it was in the list.

On the page Artificial Sweeteners Could Be Sabotaging Your Diet Dr. Hyman lays out his argument. Here are some excerpts:

[quote author=Dr. Hyman]
Any sweet taste will signal your body that calories are on the way and trigger a whole set of hormonal and metabolic responses to get ready for those calories.

When you trick your body and feed it non-nutritive or non-caloric sweeteners, like aspartame, acesulfame, saccharin, sucralose, or even natural sweeteners like stevia, it gets confused.

My bottom line?

Avoid artificial sweeteners, including aspartame, acesulfame, sucralose, sugar alcohols such as malitol and xylitol (pretty much anything that ends in “ol”), as well as natural artificial sweeteners like stevia.

Stop confusing your body. If you have a desire for something sweet, have a little sugar, but stay away from “fake” foods.

Eating a whole-foods diet that has a low glycemic load and is rich in phytonutrients and indulging in a few real sweet treats once in a while is a better alternative than tricking your body with artificial sweeteners -- which leads to wide scale metabolic rebellion and obesity.
[/quote]

The page is a good read. He mentions research done on rats, but that was with saccharin and yogurt, not stevia or xylitol. It seems to me the reasoning he is focused on for avoiding all artificial sweeteners is this statement:

[quote author=Dr. Hyman]
Any sweet taste will signal your body that calories are on the way and trigger a whole set of hormonal and metabolic responses to get ready for those calories.
[/quote]

The above information was posted April 1st, 2008. There is some good discussion down the page, with several people questioning and/or objecting to the inclusion of stevia and/or xylitol:

Dr. Hyman was not saying that stevia was bad due to being toxic or unhealthy, but due to the PSYCHOLOGICAL affect it has on fooling the body as it EXPECTS a CALORIC sweetener but then receives a NON-caloric sweetener. However, I'm not sure I can agree 100% with it being lumped with artificial sweeteners (including HFCS) that are physically toxic and drastically affect body chemistry. Before stevia is lumped into a conclusion related to artificial sweeteners based soley on a psyhological point, I'd like to see an actual study regarding stevia...one with the whole stevia leaf and one with the extracted rabaudioside (bad spelling?)...

Hi Doc,

A friend forwarded me this post after reading a similar post on my own blog about the same study you cited.

I did, however, at the end of the post, offer xylitol as a possible alternative sweetener, as to my understanding, it does have caloric value, and the body does produce an oxidase, kinase and phosphatase specific for xylitol.

I'm just curious to know more of your thoughts and experience with this particular agent.

Matthew Marturano, ND

And here is his response from The UltraSimple Diet FAQ: Part 2

[quote author=Dr. Hyman]
==> Q. Are there any problems with using stevia as a natural sweetener?

A. Stevia is plant-based sweetener.

It can be used in moderation; however, I recommend avoiding any type of sweetener (artificial or otherwise) that can stimulate your cravings for sweets.

Give yourself this opportunity for one week and watch your cravings disappear!
[/quote]

I'm just pointing out here some possibly useful options. Based on all the research available here and abroad on stevia and xylitol, I don't think they are bad for you. But there is something to be said for Dr. Hyman's take on sweeteners in general, too methinks. So, in the interest of cutting out as much as possible that could be bad for oneself, it might be useful to leave out the sweeteners and then add them back later as well to determine effects.

My two cents as an Ultra Simple Diet newbie (just started today).

Laura said:
I always put it in my shake. Nowadays this is the shake recipe:

1 cup rice milk
2 scoops rice protein powder
1 scoop vitamin c powder
1 scoop L-Tyrosine
1 scoop L-Arginine
1 scoop MSM
1 scoop L-Glutamine
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup flax seed oil
1 banana
3/4 cup of frozen blueberries or blackberries
Couple spoons of xylitol

Blend and drink for breakfast or lunch

Does this mixture make you feel too 'zoomy' to sleep at night?

I figure I'll have a go with what I do have and add on as it can be found. :)

Hubby did get me a juicer and that's been a wonderful way to get some good nutrition without the risk of burning myself. :halo:

He wants to make a press out of a car jack and some pans, I'll have to let you know how that goes. :rolleyes: (engineers, they never stop fiddling with things)

gaman said:
My wife and I both started the diet today but ran into a bump. To both of us the shakes are really bad (have bad undertones of taste, and consistency) and we pretty much both gagged trying to drink our first one. Everything else has been fine.

I'm going to try blending longer, etc. but has anyone found an alternative to the shakes? For reference, our shakes were made with rice powder, flax seed, borage oil, water, banana, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

Maybe try it without the borage oil for now? It's pretty strong as I understand it. Everything else on the list is a natural sweet which should make the shake easy to swallow. Do you need to make it more "runny"? My first shakes were like sludge :cry:. bleah! I believe so long as the supplements are in there, you can play with the amount of liquid. Maybe the flax oil is too strong-tasting also. There are varieties that are milder in flavour just like olive oils. I tried to add oregano oil to my shake (for candida) and couldn't handle the taste. I started with way too much. After being on it for a while now, I plan to try again, but only one or two drops!

What was your reason for adding borage oil to the shake?

Herondancer

gaman said:
I'm just pointing out here some possibly useful options. Based on all the research available here and abroad on stevia and xylitol, I don't think they are bad for you. But there is something to be said for Dr. Hyman's take on sweeteners in general, too methinks. So, in the interest of cutting out as much as possible that could be bad for oneself, it might be useful to leave out the sweeteners and then add them back later as well to determine effects.

My two cents as an Ultra Simple Diet newbie (just started today).
That has been my experience as well. They are good sweeteners, but they tend to awake all kinds of cravings in people and at an early stage, it will be better to leave them out and sweeten your shake only with fruits. Unless you really can control yourself, then it is okay. But for the early stage of the Ultra Simple diet, no sweeteners are recommended. Candida recurrences after the anti-candida diet often began with some xylitol here and there, that later lead to another craving and another one, etc.

Psyche, or anyone else who could help me, can I ask you a question, I hope I'm not bothering you with this.

I think that I am underweight and I don't really know how to gain some weight naturally. I do try out some things, for example, when I ate mackerel I poured some olive oil over it. Maybe I should take more portions of everything that Laura posted? I was wondering if you have any tips for me, I would really appreciate that.

Oxajil said:
I think that I am underweight and I don't really know how to gain some weight naturally. I do try out some things, for example, when I ate mackerel I poured some olive oil over it. Maybe I should take more portions of everything that Laura posted? I was wondering if you have any tips for me, I would really appreciate that.

I've sometimes had a similar problem. I found that the best way to gravitate towards my natural weight is to pay attention to living more healthily in whatever ways I can think of: eg, making sure I keep a better balance between intellectual and physical work - in my case, and perhaps for you, this means regularly doing more physical work.

Physical exercise is good for the brain, it oxygenates the body, restores a natural brain-chemical balance (releases various hormones), helps to build muscle, kick starts all sorts of systems around the body that contribute to its general smooth running. It also makes you hungry!

Back
Top Bottom