Vaccination of Dogs and Cats - Very Important Information

It seems you are doing everything right.

I would say more then two flights within 24h is always very taxing on any organism due to atmospheric pressure changes. So yes if you can spare 5h its better to minimize number of flights. Perhaps you could leave earlier and get a good night sleep before flying begins.
The sedatives are not allowed anymore by airline guidelines and generally I dont like prescribing them unless the dog is really jittery and easily scared - anyways the flight is too long in your case, I am guessing he is a big dog and he will have to go in the hold not in the cabin with you?

Perhaps you could put some rescue remedy in his water for the duration of the trip.
Also I normally advise not to feed the dog before the trip and only provide water. I am guessing you will have the chance to take him out for a pee and walk him a bit before 10h flight?

Good luck to you all and bon voayage :hug2: for everyone

The idea to put Rescue Remedy in the water is very good, I have not think about it. Myself I have a long trip to do in December, 2 days 2 nights in boat. The dogs and cats are in a special section on the boat, I read that maybe I will be able to go for a walk with them. It is good if they eat during the trip? apart the Rescue, and because it is a long trip, can I give them some homeopathic medication to calm them? I know that Blacky will be extremely nervous, this is the dog I adopted in April, with some psychological problems. And the cats? The cats are special... we know that. Anyway, the Rescue in the water I will do.

I read also that there will be a vet in the boat for emergencies. I hope I will not need him. My worried it is if they don't pee, because they will be afraid. It is the first time I travel with animals in a boat. When I came to Spain, 13 years ago, I came from Canada, the trip was almost 18-24 hours long and I travel with a dog, a cat and a bird. No problem at all with them. I travel with Air France.

Thanks to listen. And if you have ideas for my animals I will be very happy to listen to your counsels.

For Blacky you can give Aconite 30c one granule in the mouth just before you start the trip and on top of this rescue remedy both for him and the cat.
I am sure they will let you walk him on the deck and that will surely help him to relax. As for the cat I wouldn't take her out of the carrier, I would just pet her in the carrier and talk to her every now and then. Cats usually take days to adjust to new surroundings and even in new house they will spend a lot of time hiding in one place. Or perhaps they will provide a bigger cage with the litter tray, if its 2 nights and days that would make sense.
Have a safe journey and if you get stressed too much dont forget to breathe, perhaps doing EE next to your pets is not a bad idea.

Herr Eisenheim said:
For Blacky you can give Aconite 30c one granule in the mouth just before you start the trip and on top of this rescue remedy both for him and the cat.
I am sure they will let you walk him on the deck and that will surely help him to relax. As for the cat I wouldn't take her out of the carrier, I would just pet her in the carrier and talk to her every now and then. Cats usually take days to adjust to new surroundings and even in new house they will spend a lot of time hiding in one place. Or perhaps they will provide a bigger cage with the litter tray, if its 2 nights and days that would make sense.
Have a safe journey and if you get stressed too much dont forget to breathe, perhaps doing EE next to your pets is not a bad idea.

Thank you very much Herr Eisenheim. I am asking: is Aconite also good for me? I am a little nervous, not having panic attacks, yet. :) But I know myself, I don't know if I will not have some before taking the car and going. :scared: I will ask my homeopath. I need to be calm if I wanted my dogs and cats to be calm also. Thank again for your counsels. I appreciate it very much.

Herr Eisenheim said:
It seems you are doing everything right.

I would say more then two flights within 24h is always very taxing on any organism due to atmospheric pressure changes. So yes if you can spare 5h its better to minimize number of flights. Perhaps you could leave earlier and get a good night sleep before flying begins.

Yeah, it would take careful planning, but it's doable I think.

HE said:
The sedatives are not allowed anymore by airline guidelines and generally I dont like prescribing them unless the dog is really jittery and easily scared - anyways the flight is too long in your case, I am guessing he is a big dog and he will have to go in the hold not in the cabin with you?

Yes, he is big enough to not be able to be in the cabin with us. I got the same info about the sedatives from our vet too.

HE said:
Perhaps you could put some rescue remedy in his water for the duration of the trip.

Great idea!

HE said:
Also I normally advise not to feed the dog before the trip and only provide water. I am guessing you will have the chance to take him out for a pee and walk him a bit before 10h flight?

Yes to the latter. He will see that we are there waiting for him and that we will take him for a walk after he comes out. I am worried though that if he doesn't like the experience during the 5hr flight, he might not want to go back to his kennel for the long flight.

HE said:
Good luck to you all and bon voayage :hug2: for everyone

Thank you very much. We are not leaving for over a month yet though, I am just trying to be prepared for whatever might happen.

loreta said:
I am a little nervous, not having panic attacks, yet. :) But I know myself, I don't know if I will not have some before taking the car and going. :scared: I will ask my homeopath. I need to be calm if I wanted my dogs and cats to be calm also.

I feel you, loreta :hug2: I'll be doing EE every single night religiously and a few times during the day before the departure, because there's so many things to do and to consider during this time. I wish you good luck with your trip and that your move goes smoothly :flowers: :wizard:

Alana said:
I feel you, loreta :hug2: I'll be doing EE every single night religiously and a few times during the day before the departure, because there's so many things to do and to consider during this time. I wish you good luck with your trip and that your move goes smoothly :flowers: :wizard:

Thank you. I wish you the best for you. Traveling with animals is always a big stress. But if you travel with a god company they take good care of them. What I did in my trip with my dog and cat the last time, I put a big picture of them on the kennel, the cage, with the name of the animal, my phone number and words like: I am a good dog, I am a good cat. Also a big arrow drawing showing the top of the cage.

Good luck! :flowers: :hug2:

Hi Z:

I have a couple of questions regarding vaccinating my kitty. Your advice will be very appreciated.

My kitty Yuki is 7 months old. We got her when she was 3 months old and at the time she had been vaccinated for a few things including, Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia. I was told by the lady I adopted her from that she's going to need a "booster" in a few months. But I neglected to go to the vet for the booster until last week.

Anyway the vet ended up giving her an annual checkup and an FCR Annual Booster shot, but I was told that because too much time had past, they'd need to do another booster in a few weeks. I didn't like the sound of that...

When I brought her home after the vaccine I could tell she was in pain and barely ate any food. I had to hand feed her because she wouldn't eat out of her bowl (very unlike her). It was painful to see that. Anyway I don't think I want to get this new booster after reading all this stuff. Is that the right decision?

Additionally, the vet wanted to give her a rabies shot at the same time, but I refused it at the time (good thing I did). Because she's an indoor cat and I just don't see how she'll ever get rabies. I decided I'd get her a rabies shot if we ever were going to move to somewhere that required it or if we go somewhere that is more in the middle of woods or something where getting rabies, might actually be an issue. We live in the city right now and I don't' think it is... even though the vet tried to tell me that bats can get into apartment and that could be a problem. But I live in the basement of a house right now and I don't think it will be.. the vet actually agreed with me when I explained that.

Also, very soon I'll have to get her spayed which is going to be painful again since she's such a sweet kitty and I HATE having to do that to her and wish I could at least bread her once, but I'm not a breeder and have never done that so I think it's probably best to spay her. Do you have any advice about spaying?

She's on the raw food diet. She's healthy and awesome and apparently had no problems in the annual check up, except "red gums". The vet told me I gotta start brushing her teeth.

Here's a couple of pics of her :)

D said:
When I brought her home after the vaccine I could tell she was in pain and barely ate any food. I had to hand feed her because she wouldn't eat out of her bowl (very unlike her). It was painful to see that. Anyway I don't think I want to get this new booster after reading all this stuff. Is that the right decision?

Hi, D, I am still a vet student and not a doctor, but hopefully the following will be useful for you.

First of all, by your description it sounds like your kitty had to endure a lot of needless vaccination and "boosting". To be honest, have no idea what "FCR Annual Booster shot" is, but it surely sounds unnecessary!

I asked our practicing doctor at the clinic, and his vaccination protocol for cats is complex vaccine (Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia) at the age of three months and then annual revaccination of the same vaccine only. Rabies is necessary only if your kitty goes outside. But that's mainstream veterinary medicine for you!

In the past Z said the following about annual revaccination:

Z said:
Well I certainly wouldn't want to throw out baby with the bath water. I do think that certain vaccines work, for example we haven't had outbreak of Canine Distemper in this sea locked country for at least 15 years which coincides with introduction of import vaccination rules and increased vaccination of dogs by their owners. Its the annual re vaccination that is the problem.

I would also recommend reading the following article by Dr. Becker:
_http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/07/03/new-pet-vaccination-protocol.aspx

She also talks about a test you can ask your vet about, in order to check your pet's immunity:

If your veterinarian is still recommending yearly core vaccinations, ask him (or her) instead to do titers to measure your pet’s current immunity. Chances are excellent, if your pet was vaccinated properly as a puppy or kitten, that he’s protected for life. It’s important to remember the only vaccine required by law is rabies.

If your vet is no longer pushing yearly core vaccines, but instead is recommending items off a menu of non-core vaccines, you should have a frank discussion with him about the actual risk your pet runs from whatever diseases he wants to vaccinate against. I also recommend you do your own research on the risks and benefits of all non-core vaccines, which are generally not as safe or effective as core vaccines.

So, the bottom line is, you probably don't need to revaccinate, but if possible, do titers in order to show your vet how wrong he/she is. Who knows, they may learn something!

Also watch the following video by Dr. Becker for more explanation:

https://youtu.be/w3P7FnSTcC8

D said:
Also, very soon I'll have to get her spayed which is going to be painful again since she's such a sweet kitty and I HATE having to do that to her and wish I could at least bread her once, but I'm not a breeder and have never done that so I think it's probably best to spay her. Do you have any advice about spaying?

Regarding spaying, there is this excellent video, again by Dr. Becker.

https://youtu.be/enPCZA1WFKY

Even our clinic doctor says, that if the kitty lives at home and doesn't disturb the peace too much with her mews when in heat, there is no medical reason to ever spay her. There are sometimes medical reasons for a surgery, and if there is something wrong with the reproductive organs, but you may notice it by her behavior, and if for example her heat periods are unusually long or strong.

As for breeding, there are opinions regarding female dogs, that they may get piometra in older age if they never gave birth, but the vet at the clinic says that it doesn't extend to female cats. Don't know how it is from a natural veterinary science point of view, but will try to look for relevant info.

Hope it helps!

Thank you so much Keit!!

Boy do I feel bad for taking her for that vaccine last week! No more vaccines for her! I will take her for this titer thing though... just to see for myself.

And regarding spaying... I've decided to not spay her!

My decision mainly comes from my experience with Luna. Luna was spayed when she was a kitten and when she grew up she still exhibited signs of going into heat. Which was always very puzzling to me, because I thought when you spay them, they kind of lose their sex drive. Shows how much I knew...

Luna ended up dying from hyperthyroidism, which I have a feeling was a direct result of spaying her.

I think of myself as a responsible pet owner, so I don't think her over populating our city with kittens is going to be an issue and I think I can deal with mewing and the other signs that I've read about. At least I'm willing to at least see what happens, instead of jumping into spaying.

Those videos were very helpful, though most of the stuff Dr. Becker was talking about regarding spaying/neutering was about dogs. I wonder how different cats are in this regard.

Anyway thanks Keit!

Another very important article from Dr. Becker, about the dangers of vaccination. She is talking about pets, particularly small breed dogs suddenly developing Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis.

The traditional veterinary community considers GME to be idiopathic, which means we don't know why it happens. However, there is also suspicion that the disease may be caused by an abnormal immune response to an infectious agent. While most conventional vets don't acknowledge a link between autoimmune diseases and vaccines – especially Lyme, rabies, and leptospirosis vaccines – holistic vets have long voiced concern about what certainly seems to be a cause-and-effect relationship between certain vaccines and the subsequent development of autoimmune disorders in pets.

Watch the video and also read the article. She also gives a lot of good advice regarding natural remedies, that may also apply to humans, when it comes to the vaccine detox.

At the same time, I recommend digging for an underlying trigger that may have prompted the immune system meltdown. With the GME patient I discussed earlier – the young female Boston Terrier – I suspected her recent Lyme vaccine was the trigger. I first treated her with a homeopathic vaccine detox agent and a natural supplement that helped her body rid itself of the heavy metals, including mercury and aluminum that are often included in vaccine formulations.

Next, I slowly replaced the prednisone she was taking with a custom-compounded plant sterol. I also added several supplements, including B vitamins. I added alpha-lipoic acid, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), inositol, and l-glutamine, which helped support her peripheral and central nervous system. Over an eight-week period, I tapered her off all powerful drugs and monitored her progress by rechecking her biologic reflexes and bloodwork every few weeks. That's a very important step, because recurrence of the immune-mediated response could have happened at any point, requiring further aggressive treatment.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/Mc2MrhIhsNA

Hi,
I have four raw fed non-vaccinated dogs one is a wolf hybrid, for four years. They develop a natural immunity if you feed their natural diet, which since they are domesticated Wolves, nearly genetically the same as wolves, is raw meat will keep all sickness away. Diotemaceous earth for intestinal worms, which I take my self. Fish oil eggs for omegas and their good to go. Raw honey and raw milk for extra protection. I'd never inject animals or any children again. I don't trust what pharm puts out, and there is Mercury and other nonsense in those vaccines that could cause major harm. Also apart of a yahoo group that that's all about raw meat and no vaccines for wonderful health of k9s and cats. Some are breeders who've specialized in this for 30+. California is currently trying to force all kids and teachers entering public school to be vaccinated, needless to say a LOT of people are speaking out against it.

Merci à tous pour vos édifiants messages...
Jusqu'à maintenant mes deux petits Yorks, Hella, Fille de 3 ans et Ugo, Gaçon de 12 ans ainsi que mes chatonnes, Gaby et Granie, jumelles de 4 ans, Isatis, siamoise de 2 ans et Duchesse de 4 ans, la chatonne de ma Maman que j'ai récupérée quand Maman nous a quittés le 7 mars dernier, sont tous vaccinés avec rappel chaque année...
Je dois faire le rappel d 'Hella fin juin mais suite à la lecture de vos écrits, je me demande si je vais le faire car mes chatonnes ne sortent que sur ma terrasse au 4ème étage avec filet de protection, mes petits Yorks sortent pour leur promenade dans la rue...
Etant handicapée, je ne voyage plus...
Que me conseillez vous ?...

Thank you all for your edifying messages ...
So far my two little Yorks, Hella, Daughter 3 years and Ugo Gacon 12 years and my chatonnes, Gaby and Granie, 4 years of binoculars, Isatis, Siamese 2 years and Duchess of 4 years, the kitten my Mom that I recovered when Mom passed away on March 7, are all vaccinated with return every year ...
I have to make the recall of Hella late June but after reading your writings, I wonder if I'll do it because my chatonnes only go out on my terrace on the 4th floor with a safety net, my grandchildren out for their Yorks walk down the street ...
Being disabled, I can not travel ...
What do you recommend? ...

PERLOU said:
What do you recommend? ...

Well, each case is different, but the general rule of thumb, that instead of doing annual revaccination it is best to ask your veterinarian to do a titre test.
You can find more information in this article.
http://www.sott.net/article/295263-SOTT-Exclusive-Natural-Pet-Health-Should-you-vaccinate-your-pet

Merci Keit pour votre réponse... Keit thank you for your reply ...
Eh bien, chaque cas est différent, mais la règle générale, qu'au lieu de faire un rappel annuel, il est préférable de demander à votre vétérinaire pour faire un test de titre. Vous pouvez trouver plus d'informations dans cet article.

D'après votre lien, il faudrait quand même vacciner les chiens contre le PARVOVIRUS et les chatonnes contre le panleukopenia... Merci Keit
Je vais donc réfléchir encore un peu, peut-être un autre membre pourrait donner son avis...

Based on your link, it would still vaccinate dogs against the PARVOVIRUS and chatonnes against the panleukopenia ... Thank Keit
I'll still think a little, maybe another member could advise ...

PERLOU said:
Based on your link, it would still vaccinate dogs against the PARVOVIRUS and chatonnes against the panleukopenia

Well, yes, because even if your pets never leave the house, you can still bring bacteria or viruses to your house by shoes and other stuff. But there are also those who say that even those vaccinations are unnecessary. On the other hand, I personally saw cases of puppies and kittens dying very quickly from parvovirus or panleukopenia because they weren't vaccinated. This stuff happens. It's the revaccination issue that is a total sham.

Back
Top Bottom