Volcanoes Erupting All Over

This morning we shared an image of the plume generating gravity waves in the atmosphere. Enjoy this hypnotic video now / This morning we shared a picture of the plume generating gravity waves in the atmosphere. Enjoy now this hypnotic video (images of @INGVvulcani )

Well, the lava seems to be almost there (Atlantic sea) , webcam from Tazacorte

Wednesday, Sep. 29, 2021
A CME MISSES EARTH: A CME may have passed close to our planet on Sept. 27th. Ripples in the solar wind suggest either a weak collision or, more likely, a near miss. The close encounter did not spark a geomagnetic storm. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

THE NEXT CME MIGHT ACTUALLY HIT (UPDATED): Decaying sunspot AR2871 erupted on Sept 28th (0634 UT) producing a slow C2-class solar flare. This movie from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory shows a shadowy shock wave billowing away from the blast site:

The shock wave propelled a CME into space. Update: New data from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) shows a partial-halo CME almost certain to sideswipe Earth. ETA: Oct. 1st. Minor G1-class geomagnetic storms are likely when the CME arrives. Aurora alerts: SMS Text.

Video: Iceland Volcano Update - Strong Earthquakes Raise Questions
This morning there was an unexpected quake of 2.5. Apparently a bigger quake can mark the end according to previous cases, but it could also be something different. The narrator in the video then takes on a well photographed tour showing us some other locations and formations to watch including the Atlantic ridge. Near the end, he tells us that:
1800 round hills on Iceland allegedly not fully explained
Iceland - round hills allegedly unexplained.png

A picture of the Island of La Palma from the Wiki on Cumbre Vieja with explanation of where the volcanoes are located:
La_palma_volcano_2.jpg

Satellite photo of La Palma, Canary Islands (north is in the lower right). The crater in the centre is the Caldera de Taburiente. The Cumbre Vieja is the ridge to the south (upper left) of the caldera and between them is the Cumbre Nueva.
The same Wiki mentions the possibility of a megatsunami. A fuller treatment of the subject can be found in Cumbra Vieja tsunami hazard. Fortunately the probability is 1 in 100,000 years:
Humanity has never witnessed enormous collapses on La Palma[56] and there is evidence that the western flank of La Palma is currently stable[62] and a collapse in the near future unlikely.[121] A worst-case scenario giant landslide like the one modelled by Ward and Day 2001 is a very low probability event, probably much less common than once per 100,000 years[112] which is the probable occurrence rate of large landslides in the Canary Islands.[6][122] A smaller landslide scenario, which Tehranirad et al. 2015 defined as "extreme credible worst case scenario", has a recurrence rate of about once every 100,000 years.[80] Because of their low incidence probability, the hazard from large flank collapses at La Palma is considered to be low.[120] Return periods are not the only factor involved in estimating risk, as the amount of damage done by an extreme event has to be considered.[122] Globally, the return period of giant landslide-induced tsunamis may exceed one per 10,000 years.[123]
A list of others that could cause such events.
Looking up "volcano megatsunami" on Youtube, the first was from a clip from British documentary. The title of the video is Megatsunami Scenario - La Palma Landslide and explains some of the principles in general, even if it might be exaggerated with regard to this particular volcano, compared to what is a more likely possibility.

Video: Iceland Volcano Update - Strong Earthquakes Raise Questions
This morning there was an unexpected quake of 2.5. Apparently a bigger quake can mark the end according to previous cases, but it could also be something different. The narrator in the video then takes on a well photographed tour showing us some other locations and formations to watch including the Atlantic ridge. Near the end, he tells us that:
1800 round hills on Iceland allegedly not fully explained
View attachment 49868

Those round hills are very curious. I'm trying to imagine what could cause such a thing.

Kilauea, Hawai'i, USA
30 Sep 2021

Yes, Kilauea Volcano is indeed erupting. This is how it looked like hours ago at night

243835201_4855698814458641_1478802420983582929_small.jpg

USGS writes:

The Sun has set on the new eruption within Halemaʻumaʻu crater at Kīlauea’s summit. We’ll be back in the morning with more posts, but in the meantime, new images and other info will be posted throughout the night at https://www.usgs.gov/volc.../kilauea/k-lauea-summit-eruption.

Photo is from approximately 7:20 p.m. HST. The lava fountain in the central portion of the lava lake remains active (center of image), as do vents on the west wall of the crater (lower left in image). The dominant lava fountain is in the south portion of the nascent lava lake (upper right portion of the image). Hawaiian Volcano Observatory geologists will remain in the field overnight to monitor the eruption, which is occurring within a closed area of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. USGS image.

Reference map depicts the ongoing Kīlauea summit eruption as of approximately 6:00 PM HST on September 29, 2021. Several new fissures (orange lines) within Halema‘uma‘u have erupted enough lava (red) to cover nearly all of the December 2020 - May 2021 lava lake by more than 36 ft (11 m). From that lava lake, only the peaks of the two largest islands and the west vent (shaded purple) remain exposed at this time. Note that this map depicts contour elevations in feet, with the surface of the new lava lake now at approximately 2474 ft (754 m) above sea level.

1-format1007-1small.jpg

Vulcano Cabeza

part of Cumbre Vieja Volcano
LaPalma, Spain
30 Sep 2021

from La Palma News, Manfred Betzwieser writes every day on his blog on lapalma1.net (since many years) in german language. He lives there and is part time pensioner (if I understood that correctly ?). Today (30 Sep 2021) he writes following translated via DeepL (I insert a couple other, in my opinion photographically more interesting images, which other photographers have taken from the event. Except in cases where Manfred Betzwieser refers directly to a relevant image in his blog)

1-format1007 small.jpg

Volcanic Lava creates new Land
"Curse and Blessing of a Volcano"

Since the volcanic lava reached the coast of Tazacorte, a new delta-shaped island has emerged in the Atlantic. With every day that the Cabeza volcano delivers more lava, the structure grows in height and width. Already, the measured width is around 500 metres. In a week, the 90-metre higher cliff edge could be reached.

In the cover photo [above is a different photo then in his blog], the eruption site of the Cabeza volcano and the course of the lava flow up to the mouth are clearly visible at the top.

615700416_210238620_1024x576-701x360-1.jpg

The water mass around this platform has warmed up and reached 26 degrees yesterday, while the normal temperature in the area at this time of year is 22 or 23 degrees. The seawater has taken on a turquoise hue around the entry point and the acidity has increased due to the presence of gases.

The water itself - the researchers clarify - is not toxic, but the pH of the sea fluctuates. "Those who are mobile will have fled when they perceived the danger, but corals or lobsters may be seriously affected. We haven't assessed it yet, but it may have dire consequences due to the loss of species, considering that it is also a special protection area near the Fuencaliente nature reserve," the expert said.

Volcanic lava is the guarantee of survival for the future

With every volcanic eruption on La Palma so far, the island has expanded. In height and also in width or length. The Teneguia in 1971 created 2 square kilometres of new land and the San Juan in 1949 around 8 square kilometres. Of course, it takes many centuries for this mineral-rich lava to become fertile soil. If the volcanic eruptions stop, erosion wears away the surface and a "furteventura" is created. A flat and barren island.

A new cone seems to be forming at the Cabeza volcano

Vulkankegel - Vulkanlava

The formation of the new cone can already be seen in the second mouth of the volcano, from which the lava flows more fluidly and which has directed the flow into the sea. The main crater is continuously ejecting black ash, which is drifting west and south thanks to the wind direction.

The lava is expected to continue in this line as long as there are no new eruption points.

NASA photographs the volcano from space

Astronaut Thomas Pesquet, one of the crew members of the International Space Station (ISS), recently snapped a photo of La Palma (from 22 September).

"La Palma volcano in eruption. Even more impressive is the orange glow of the lava in contrast to the blackness of the Atlantic. The glow of the lava seems very close to the glow of the city lights ", tweeted the French astronaut. The lights of El Paso can be seen on the left and Los Llanos below.

lapalma_iss_2021_lrg_SMALL.jpg
(i made the original photo brighter)

30 September 2021 • Timeline

10:30
Also last night there was a series of earthquakes with ML2.4 - ML2.9 from 10 to 15 km depth on the municipal areas of Mazo and Fuencaliente. New supply of magma for the volcano.

11:50
Aerial view of the new lava island in front of Tazacorte by Cabildo La Palma

cda08633-feb1-4233-8a8f-7aefff3d14a7_16-9-discover-aspect-ratio_default_0-777x437.jpg

12:00
Increased activity of Cabeza is expected for the next hours. More droning and roaring already announce an increased lava output. Earthquakes in the area of the magma chamber of up to ML3.3 from a depth of 9 - 11 km and further deformation of the earth's surface give some indication.

13:10
The tourism market on La Palma is collapsing. Only 15 percent of the hotels are still occupied, according to the tourism association CIT Tedote. Well, you have to ask yourself who would want to go on holiday on an island with an active volcano eruption at the moment. Volcano enthusiasts, volcanologists and a few intrepid ones. La Palma is currently not a destination for a pleasurable holiday experience. Moreover, there are no flight connections from northern Europe either.

It will all recover quickly once the volcano has ceased its operations. However, this may still take a few weeks.

14:00
Fred. Olsen Express is expanding services between La Palma and Tenerife with new connections.
These additional routes will be added to the usual ones, giving the shipping company six daily sailings, three from each island. So, Fred. Olsen Express will operate from this Friday to next Saturday at the following times:

- From La Palma to Tenerife: 06.30 11.00 and 17:00
- From Los Cristianos to Isla Bonita: 08.30, 14:00 and 19:00

These new connections will serve the emergency personnel of the UME, Fire Brigade, Police, Guardia Civil and other units deployed on La Palma, in order to make the appropriate staffing changes and enable the necessary equipment for the work they need on the island, such as ash sweepers and snow ploughs.

15:50
Elevated gas concentration in Tazacorte and Los Llanos de Aridane. The valley smells of "rotten eggs". Sulphur dioxide (SO2) with elevated levels were registered. Gas masks (Corona masks are not sufficient) are recommended when outdoors. :umm: (See later remark from Mark Szeglat below)

Other Images I have found

FAd7_7bX0AAP8No-small.jpg

243147191_4903875319631492_671144040480792447_small.jpg

243146152_4903875699631454_2502507439340495354_small.jpg

243049283_1250967242031568_5048923563958310667_n-1.jpg
243055032_10226433529693537_5139884632715156175_n.jpg Foto -princess- Rincón - saving the banana harvest.jpg

The last image is made by Kicke Rincón", showing workers trying to save the Banana harvest on LaPalma.

Mark Szeglat via Vulkanet.net

He is a volcanologist, who has now arrived on LaPalma - writes following on his homepage today, 30 Sep 2021

cumbrevieja01.jpg
assuming that he took the image ?

"In the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, the lava flow reached the coast and plunged over the up to 90 m high cliffs into the sea. A lava delta quickly formed in the ocean, from which relatively little steam rises. The area is widely cordoned off. Since a person suffocated in the steam cloud of an ocean entry during one of the last eruptions on La Palma, special care is taken here.

My flat on La Palma is about 3 km away from the active of Cumbre Vieja and while thunder and rumbling fills the air. About 1 hour ago I could feel an earthquake. To see the eruption, I only need to look out of the window: exactly the right atmosphere to report on volcanic eruptions. However, some colleagues overdo it and stir up panic.

Gas mask Sensationalism ?

Yesterday, for example, I observed a reporter moderating with a gas mask at a distance of about 4 km from the Ocean Entry. A completely unnecessary action, which was only meant to get ratings and may have caused further concern among the residents. I could already see several residents walking around with gas masks, although the strong wind blew all the gases away from them. This outbreak is certainly not harmless, but if it happened in an uninhabited area, it would hardly get any media attention.

Suggesting magma rises from greater depths

Current seismicity and ground deformation data suggest that magma continues to rise from greater depths and collect in the magma body beneath the volcano. More magma is rising than is being erupted and ground uplift is back to 25 cm. When this level was last reached, the volcano's activity increased significantly. The earthquakes shifted more below the summit area of Cumbre Vieja and it cannot be ruled out that another eruption centre could form there. The situation reminds me of the Etna eruption of 2001, which also started on the flank and days later more fissures opened towards the summit. At lunch yesterday I met the well-known British volcanologist Clive Oppenheimer. He wisely did not want to give a prognosis on the further course, but also felt reminded of the Etna eruption of 2001"

Gas mask Sensationalism ?

Yesterday, for example, I observed a reporter moderating with a gas mask at a distance of about 4 km from the Ocean Entry. A completely unnecessary action, which was only meant to get ratings and may have caused further concern among the residents. I could already see several residents walking around with gas masks, although the strong wind blew all the gases away from them. This outbreak is certainly not harmless, but if it happened in an uninhabited area, it would hardly get any media attention.
I saw a reporter yesterday in the video of Bushcraft Bear that was wearing a gas mask as if he was at Chernobyl. How shame! But we know that now news are the majority of them fake, sensationalist just to produce fear and also sadness and stress. They are the same reporters that talk about Covid. So I am not surprised at all.

Back
Top Bottom