Was Julius Caesar the real Jesus Christ?

Laura said:
I should add that, what I think, in relation to Gaul, is that a very different type of Christianity grew there that was directly related to Caesar - AND HIS DESCENDANTS there. I suspect there were a few. However, when the collapse came, and most of the Western Empire was destroyed by comets and plague, much of this was lost, except in pockets. And then, the German Reich arose because they survived the plague better due to their diet of mostly meat, and they hooked up with the remains of the Empire in Constantinople and decided to "resurrect Rome" and crown themselves emperors. A deal was struck with some church prelates, monasteries, whatever, to gain their support because, by now, they had pretty good control over the people. So this new Frankish Christianity was created and they re-wrote a lot of history, and created some history out of whole cloth, to substantiate their claims, genealogies, and a whole lot of other nonsense. It was, as you can guess, a total psychopathic take-over.

It is the "pockets of survival" of the knowledge of Caesar/Christ and his offspring in Gaul that was then transformed by the Church as some of what we now know as "Holy Grail/Bloodline" stories. These were grafted onto the Franks as in the "Merovingians" which is pretty much a crock of baloney.
Thank you, Laura. It is really amazing to know all this.

Laura said:
Well, the Koran is based partly on Judaism's "Old Testament" and partly on Christianity's "New Testament". As I wrote about the probable date of the composition of the OT in HoM, I think it is safe to say that both of them were composed more or less together - very closely - in a narrow time-frame. And the same processes were at work including some deliberate fraud. So, since the Koran is based on two serious frauds and twisted mis-representations of reality, what does that make it?

As the the religion behind Judaism and Islam, I think there is pretty good evidence that I presented in HoM that both were originally one and the same, and it was worship of Saturn, a giant comet.
Yes, comets and religions seem to have indestructible connections, but then distorted and hidden by psychopats. I also wonder if for the Zionism dominated by mutants say that Christ was a Roman would be something dangerous, or they would say "anti-Semitic". Because their "superiority" moral authoritarian, would be compromised. If the center of gravity foundation of western goes back to Europe from Middle East, would cease to be valid many narratives as "the holy city", the "chosen people" (and the same would happen with Christian prerogatives) as regards to the West. Thus the elite that dominates Israel would lose religious rights over Palestine and would be what they are doing there as simply criminal based on lies?

BUT, the senate itself, as an institution, continued in a certain way and this is what became, later, the model for the Church. And, in fact, many of the later senatorial families (though they were parvenu in Republican terms) BECAME prelates of the church. And the old title of the chief priest of the colleges of priesthoods, the Pontifex Maximus, became the title of the pope.

Wow. This is fast becoming one of the most intriguing subjects ever!

I can`t even imagine how any one could keep this all straight, there are so many twists and turns surrounding it, and the conspiracy`s one might think are there, just suddenly go poof and morph into an even stranger one! This is just one truly amazing subject.

Thank you so much for exposing all of this Laura. It`s just mind blowing.

Yes, it is a fascinating topic and it holds the key to a LOT of things. I've had to read hundreds of books, most of them rather dry, and thousands of scholars' papers that some forum members with access to uni libraries get for me, plus books that are totally unavailable except if you get them from said library and copy them. In several cases, I've had translation help because some things exist only in other languages. Each one adds another bit to the puzzle.

Thing is, in academia, there is a lot of arguing back and forth and most of this arguing is due to the fact that there is a whole range of personalities there as there is in any population, including pathological types. There are true believers with agendas to prove what they believe no matter what. So, what I look for mainly are pieces of HARD data.

I remember reading one of those "alternative history" books put out by a popular author of the "new age ilk" some years ago about his whole quest to find Moses and he found him thus and so place because he stumbled on some academic work about this site. (Jebel Musa). Well, I got interested and started pulling all the academic archaeology stuff and found out that there was a lot more known about the site than our alternative author let on - or that he bothered to find out. And most of this contradicted his whole idea. That is, the FACTS did not support it.

The WORST thing I see is people using the Bible as history, assuming that there are ANY facts in there at all that relate to the Hebrews, specifically. You see, I've found things in the OT that ARE matched by info found on far more ancient clay tablets that belong to other cultures. Of course, you can't be sure of the facts of the event itself, unless you find a corresponding account somewhere else, but when you find a story, details, etc, on a 4K year old baked clay tablet that later shows up in the OT, and in the tablet, the older document, it happened to this person, and in the OT, it happened to that person, but is identical in every other detail, you begin to smell a rat.

The whole Temple of Solomon business is a case in point. I'll be developing that and bringing in the data from the ancient sources in an upcoming book, but the short version is this: according to ancient chroniclers writing BEFORE the collapse/destruction of the Roman Empire in the 6th century (beginning around the 530s), the great temple at Baalbek was commonly known to EVERYONE in the ancient world as the "Temple of Solomon." So it is obvious that only AFTER the total imposition of Christianity and its adoption of Judaism as its "parent" (and that's a whole other story) did it become an assumption that there was any Solomon who was king of Jews, or that there was any Solomonic temple in Jerusalem.

Before that, Rome was THE CITY and the Romans were "The Chosen People", chosen to rule the world by their god, Jupiter, the greatest of the gods. As you read Roman history, you become uncomfortably aware that all the characteristics of the Jews belonged much earlier to the Romans. It's damned uncanny, I say!

So, what does that do to all the esoteric groups that claim their "knowledge" goes back to Solomon, king of the Jews? And his temple in Jerusalem which never existed? (Oh, there was a temple, but nothing much to speak of and it was only AFTER the alleged "return from Babylon" that a better building was constructed and even that was destroyed and replaced by Herod.

So the Masons and all the occultist spinoffs from "Solomon" are loading nonsense.

Then, there's the alleged "Egyptian magic" angle. That, too, is a load of bull. The Egyptians were a superstitious bunch, terrified of comets, and they sat up all night watching the skies and recording that watching, and chanting prayers every hour to keep comets away. That's the extent of their so-called "magic". They didn't even have what we call astrology until after Alexander the Great and the Greek Ptolemys took over Egypt. The famous "Zodiac of Dendera" was a Greek phenomenon and rather late.

Judaism is, basically, a conglomeration of Babylonian, Assyrian, Greek, Roman and Egyptian stuff, crafted into a faked history utilizing the traditions of others and made-up genealogies going right back to god, for one-upmanship. It was the done thing at the time and the Jews just did everyone one better. If Caesar could trace his genealogy back to Venus so as to one-up the Greeks who traced their genealogy back to Hercules, then the Jews traced their genealogy right back to God almighty, creator of the universe! It's actually hilarious when you think about it.

And on it went.

I have to thank you Laura, still schooling 'em :grad: As you continue to :rockon:

Laura said:
[…]The whole Temple of Solomon business is a case in point. I'll be developing that and bringing in the data from the ancient sources in an upcoming book, but the short version is this: according to ancient chroniclers writing BEFORE the collapse/destruction of the Roman Empire in the 6th century (beginning around the 530s), the great temple at Baalbek was commonly known to EVERYONE in the ancient world as the "Temple of Solomon." So it is obvious that only AFTER the total imposition of Christianity and its adoption of Judaism as its "parent" (and that's a whole other story) did it become an assumption that there was any Solomon who was king of Jews, or that there was any Solomonic temple in Jerusalem.

Before that, Rome was THE CITY and the Romans were "The Chosen People", chosen to rule the world by their god, Jupiter, the greatest of the gods. As you read Roman history, you become uncomfortably aware that all the characteristics of the Jews belonged much earlier to the Romans. It's damned uncanny, I say!

So, what does that do to all the esoteric groups that claim their "knowledge" goes back to Solomon, king of the Jews? And his temple in Jerusalem which never existed? (Oh, there was a temple, but nothing much to speak of and it was only AFTER the alleged "return from Babylon" that a better building was constructed and even that was destroyed and replaced by Herod.

So the Masons and all the occultist spinoffs from "Solomon" are loading nonsense.

Then, there's the alleged "Egyptian magic" angle. That, too, is a load of bull. The Egyptians were a superstitious bunch, terrified of comets, and they sat up all night watching the skies and recording that watching, and chanting prayers every hour to keep comets away. That's the extent of their so-called "magic". They didn't even have what we call astrology until after Alexander the Great and the Greek Ptolemys took over Egypt. The famous "Zodiac of Dendera" was a Greek phenomenon and rather late.

Judaism is, basically, a conglomeration of Babylonian, Assyrian, Greek, Roman and Egyptian stuff, crafted into a faked history utilizing the traditions of others and made-up genealogies going right back to god, for one-upmanship. It was the done thing at the time and the Jews just did everyone one better. If Caesar could trace his genealogy back to Venus so as to one-up the Greeks who traced their genealogy back to Hercules, then the Jews traced their genealogy right back to God almighty, creator of the universe! It's actually hilarious when you think about it.

And on it went.

:lol2: there should be a smiley (or two) for "shakes head in disbelief" or "hangs head in shame" where so many fraudsters claiming special rights over others by a "higher power" is concerned. Of course a "shame" smiley would be wasted on psychopaths...

Hope this doesn't come as too much of a digression from the original thread.
While searching and digging about Caesarean origin of Christianity, I came across the following article by F. Carotta about Fulvia's potential role in the events that transpired after Caesar's funeral: Fulvia: The Mother of Christianity? _http://www.carotta.de/subseite/texte/articula/Fulvia_en.pdf
Usage of the Search on entire forum gave only two results regarding Fulvia, both related to Clodius, and not related to the article in question, i.e. her supposed role in Antonius' (Fulvia's third husband) and Octavian's conflict.
However, if the topic has already been covered, I apologize for unintentional noise production.

Although I haven't read the suggested literature, only pieces and videos of Carotta's work that are available on the internet and listened the two sott radio shows, I see the article providing interesting additional info on Carotta's hypotheses and found parallels between the two JCs, and especially concerning the two stated aspects of Christianity, Dionysian and Apollonian one, or as Carotta put it at the end of his article
[...]
Especially since a return to the sources would help to distinguish between the two souls of Christianity, the Fulvian and the Augustan one, which like Siamese twins always appear together, which are, however, constantly bashing each other and whom would be helped, if they were surgically separated — if they could survive that. Because their respective ethics are fundamentally different: clemency, forgiveness, love, liberation on the one hand, and, on the other hand, merciless vengeance, legacy-hunting, the inability to love and oppression.

Here is the first page, with corresponding notes, of 35pp long Carotta's article.
_http://www.carotta.de/subseite/texte/articula/Fulvia_en.pdf said:
Francesco Carotta
Fulvia: The Mother of Christianity?

This question may be surprising. For today, Fulvia, the first woman, to have her portrait imprinted on Roman coins1 — as a comparison the first man to have this honor was no one less than Caesar, her contemporary and ally — has been at best forgotten, or vilified to the point of demonization. Plutarch wrote, not without irony, that after her death Antonius and Octavian agreed she alone was responsible for the war with Octavian over the allotment of farmland to veterans,2 while Drumann, the same great scholar who concealed the date of Caesar’s funeral3 — blatantly accused her of starting the war.4 He indiscriminately and without any form of critique follows those remaining, one-sided sources5 which simply describe her as a greedy and lustful, if not overbearing and murderous woman.6 Those who have tried to diminish this devastating verdict have only succeeded in trivializing her, taking away together with the blame unfortunately also her power.7 She was, however, much greater than hoped
and much worse than feared.8 Indeed, the surprising result of our investigation is that Christianity exists due to her.

We were not aware of this when War Jesus Caesar? was first published as a monograph in 1999. For a seemingly insignificant reason: At that time Caesar’s funeral date was listed inaccurately and differently in reference books and relevant literature. Although according to ancient historiographers it was supposed to be the 17th of March, most modern historians assumed it to be the 20th or even later, and because of this widespread ambiguity, we were forced, until now to abstain from drawing any conclusions.

In the interim, after thoroughly researching this subject,9 it can be stated with certainty that the ancient historiographers were correct. Caesar’s funeral took place on the Liberalia — the feast day of Liber Pater, the Roman Dionysus-Bacchus.

That may appear irrelevant, but it has consequences—quite significant ones.

First of all, we now understand why Christianity is a Mystery Religion,10 and a distinctly Dionysian one, with wine and bread on the altar:11 The historical event that gave new meaning to the original rites, was the rebellion of the people against Caesar’s murderers at his funeral, on the feast day of the wine god Dionysus-Bacchus, who was connected to the Ceres cult — a true reoccurrence of the Dionysian proto-tragedy, with the death and resurrection of the Twice-Born.

NOTES

1 For a coin with Fulvia’s portrait, cf. article «Liberalia Tu Accusas!» Ill. 4.

2 The Perusine war, arisen from the conflict between Fulvia and Lucius Antonius on one side, with Octavianus on the other side, about the dispossession of Italic towns for the allotment of farmland to the veterans of Octavianus and Antonius after the war against Caesar’s murderers. Cf. Plut. Ant. 30.6: [...] καὶ Καῖσαρ ἦν φανερὸς ἐκείνῳ μὲν οὐθὲν ἐγκαλῶν, αὐτὸς δ' ὧν ἐνεκαλεῖτο τὰς αἰτίας τῇ Φουλβίᾳ προστριβόμενος, οὐκ εἴων [δ'] ἐξελέγχειν οἱ φίλοι τὴν πρόφασιν, ἀλλὰ διέλυον ἀμφοτέρους καὶ διῄρουν τὴν ἡγεμονίαν [...] – «[...] and when it turned out that Caesar [= Octavianus] did not at all reproach Antonius and put the blame for what he was accused of on Fulvia, the friends of the two men did not permit any examination of the real reason, but reconciled them [...]».

3 Cf. «Liberalia Tu Accusas!». Drumann was a professed Prussian monarchist — cf. Drumann2 1, p. VI, closing words of the preface: ἡ μουναρχίη κράτιστον — and the question is, whether his always positive characterization of Octavian Augustus, accompanied by an always negative one of the latter’s opponents, has something to do with it.

4 Cf. Drumann2 1, p. 288sqq; p. 293: «Peace was incompatible with Fulvia’s plans»; p. 294: «Thus a new civil war was ignited by the ambition of a woman [...]».

Cf. DRUMANN2 2, p. 310sqq. Cf. GUNDEL , H. G. in: Der Kleine Pauly, s. v. «Fulvius 32», II 634: «The unfavorable assessment by DRUMANN2 1,288 ff. 2,310 ff is hardly maintainable».

6 E. g. Velleius, 2.74: Ex altera parte, uxor Antonii, Fulvia, nihil muliebre praeter corpus gerens, omnia armis tumultuque miscebat. – «On the other side Fulvia, the wife of Antony, who had nothing feminine about her, except her body, was creating general confusion by armed violence»; Cass. Dio HR 48.10.4 describes her in Praeneste as a commandant issuing instructions to senators and knights, usually girt with a sword, giving out watchwords to the soldiers and addressing them in speeches.

7 Rehabilitation of Fulvia with SYME (1939) p. 208 n. 3, referring to M ÜNZER , RE VII 283sqq. The leitmotif is the attempt to present the worst deeds ascribed to her as «unlikely», e. g. the defilement of dead Cicero’s head, cf. GUNDEL, loc. cit., or the claim that Cassius Dio (HR 48.4, 48.10.3) exaggerates, when he reports that Fulvia, as the wife of one triumvir (Marcus Antonius), mother-in-law of a second (Octavianus), and sister-in-law of a consul (Lucius Antonius), had seized complete power in Rome (cf. also Orosius, hist. 6.18.17sq).

8 This is not the place to write a biography of Fulvia. We shall only list the points that should be taken into account in a possible rewriting of her biography. In any case, when it is written about her that she was the first wife of a ruler in Rome who felt and behaved as such (MÜNZER , RE VII 284) that is still an understatement. Because she was not only the wife of Antonius, but earlier also of Clodius and of Curio, and Fulvia helped them to achieve, more than her husbands helped her. Since women were excluded from public offices in Rome, they could only make politics through the men of their families, which meant their fathers, their brothers or their children — like Cornelia, the mother of the Gracchi — some also through their husbands — like Porcia, the wife of Brutus, who is said to have encouraged him to the murder. With Fulvia, however, we observe something very special. Belonging to the highest nobility of the Populares, the people’s party — on her father’s side she originated from the Fulvii, of which two had lost their lives together with the Gracchi in the struggles for a more just distribution of the farmland; on the side of her mother Sempronia she even originated from the Gracchi themselves — she was predestined to become the Pasionaria of the Populares. Rich (Cicero in Phil. 3.16: locupletis, «propertied»), unprejudiced and self-confident, already with her first husband, Clodius, she chose the most audacious bearer of hope of the counter-party, the Optimates, paid his debts — in those times, in order to make one’s career an ambitioned prospective Roman politician had to borrow enormous amounts of money — reconciled him with Caesar, and brought him to become the spearhead of the Populares, as tribune of the people. When Clodius was murdered, she instigated a people’s revolt by exposing his defiled body — before repeating the same with the next one, Curio, who also was a bearer of hope of the counter-party, whose even greater debts Caesar paid (whom she probably indemnified with the plot of the old basilica Sempronia he used for his larger new basilica Iulia at the Forum), and helped also him to the office of people’s tribune. He wasn’t murdered, this time, only because he fled early enough, together with Antonius, to Caesar at the Rubicon; instead, he then died in the campaign in Africa. Now Fulvia married Antonius, who already sticked by Caesar but had gotten off the straight and narrow, and brought him back on track so that he became the right-hand man of Caesar. (How she managed it, has not been handed down explicitly, but it is easy to imagine. She would have paid Antonius’ debts. Antonius, namely had bought up Pompeius’ palace in Rome which had been put up for auction after his defeat. However, he was, to his great amazement, required by an angry Caesar to pay the full purchase price, as was everyone else, Plut. Ant. 10. He did, even if reluctantly. Suddenly he could. Which funds could he have used, when not the dowry Fulvia brought to the marriage they contracted at that time?) When Caesar, as once Clodius, was murdered, Fulvia repeated what she had accomplished with Clodius, and even more successfully by exposing his martyred body: She not only achieved a people’s revolt, but also the expulsion of the murderers from the city. With her politics of amnesty she had saved the essential part of Caesar’s legacy: the agricultural laws, the distribution of the latifundia to the veterans and proletarians, the new sowing of that small peasantry that had made Rome great and which was to sustain it for a few more centuries. When Antonius then joined the triumvirate, she tried to repeat with Octavianus what she had succeeded to do three times, by giving him her daughter Clodia as wife. This failed due to Octavianus’ rejection of Fulvia’s token of love. He repudiated her and sent the young girl back to her mother, untouched, in order to unimpededly wage war against the mother-in-law, to distribute the land only to his own veterans, in the process expropriating many blameless peasants, sometimes just to create new latifundia. Instead of standing by Fulvia, Antonius, who meanwhile stayed with Cleopatra in Egypt, let her down. Solely supported by Lucius, the brother of Antonius, she finally lost the war, fell ill and died soon thereafter. Antonius and Octavianus blamed her for the war, her memory was dammed, her offspring gradually liquidated by Octavianus. End of the passed down, known story.
But we now want to follow the blurred, yet not completely erased, traces and show that her behavior is only understandable within the Dionysian mystery religion and that therefore her legacy is nevertheless preserved—even if in a different, unexpected form: that of Christianity, which, against any expectation, we no doubt essentially owe to her.

9 Cf. the article «Liberalia Tu Accusas!» in this anthology.

10 Cf. Loisy (21930).

11 Wine and bread, appropriate for the Son of Venus because, as was said: sine Cerere et Libero friget Venus – «without Ceres and Liber Venus feels cold», i. e. «without bread and wine love cools off» (Ter. Eun. 732). Libera, to whom the Liberalia were dedicated together with Liber, was at times also equated with Venus.

Superficial search through internet, based mostly on wikipedia stuff whose reliability is questionable, revealed more correlations between Dionysian cults/mysteries, Orphism, Thracian god Sabazios, gnostic and Christian notions... I don't know if that has any relation to Mithraism which was mentioned during discussion on radio shows though, anyway it seems that the apple didn't fall far away from the three regarding the Judeo-Christian connections with respect to being a conglomeration of stuff of different origin.

Yes, the Fulvia/Clodius/Curio/Antonius connection is very interesting. It is even more interesting when you consider that Fulvia's aunt, Sempronia, was named by Sallust as the woman who was the mother of Decimus Brutus, and one of the Catiline Conspirators.

It was Cicero who was consul at the time of the alleged conspiracy of Catiline. If you read his Catilinarian orations, you get the distinct impression that it was a 9-11 type set-up. Sallust presents Caesar's defense of Catiline in the senate. Obviously, he wrote the speech Caesar was said to have delivered, but it is said to have accurately captured the points that he made against Cicero and others.

I've written a whole lot about this business of Fulvia, Sempronia, Catiline, Cicero, and the rest of the gang. Maybe instead of trying to explain anything anew, I'll just copy that text and paste it here.

Bottom line is: not to worry, I've got that Fulvia connection already and more besides.

First, the intro:

As many of my readers know, the second volume of my “Secret History of the World” series was released in February of 2013 just three days before the Chelyabinsk meteor explosion. It was certainly a curious coincidence that a book that focused on just this type of event and how frequent it has been throughout history, and how it has influenced history, should be “reviewed” in this way by the cosmos itself; sort of a cosmic exclamation point. Naturally, that was a significant impetus to complete the project. So, at present, I’m eyebrow-deep in research for the next volume of the Secret History series, the working title of which is “Bull Slaying from Romulus to Caesar”. You can easily guess from this title that it’s about the Roman Empire. The plan is to condense Roman history more or less, and to highlight those periods when it seems that cosmic or climatic influences were one of the main drivers of events. That is still the plan, though I’ve hit a bit of a snag that has caused me to back up and take a deeper look at some particular periods and issues, and that deeper look has led to this “side volume” which managed to write itself (in first draft) in less than a week.

Let me tell you about the “snag”. I was going along, putting the data from many different sources in my timeline tables as I do when I begin to sort out historical threads, and, in keeping with the information presented in the previous volume about myths and their relation to cometary/cataclysmic events, wanted to write an accurate – but short! – few paragraphs about the Mysteries of Mithras; short enough to fit in tabular format. One of the points of accuracy that I wanted was to know when, where and how these mysteries that were the big competition with emergent Christianity got started because, obviously, when you are making a timeline, you need to know where to enter the data. And so, I made a pause in the writing to quickly review what was known about the Mysteries of Mithras.

I obtained a good selection of books, both early and modern, copies of the most frequently cited scholarly papers (including archaeological), conference collections, and copies of the ancient texts to which all of these often refer, such as Origen’s “Contra Celsus”, Plutarch’s “Lives”, the Corpus Inscriptionum et Monumentorum Religionis Mithriacae (or CIMRM) and so on, and began to pore through them. It was the earliest reference to the Mysteries of Mithras that snagged me: the historian Plutarch says that in 67 BC the pirates of Cilicia (a province on the southeastern coast of Asia Minor) were practicing "secret rites of Mithras.”

Pirates?! That puzzled me; what could pirates have to do with starting a major cult in the Roman Empire? That was just bizarre. Where did the pirates get it from? When? Why? So I started tracking this pirate clue. Plutarch – whose credibility is iffy, I should tell you in advance - writes in his Life of Pompey:

The power of the pirates had its seat in Cilicia at first, and at the outset it was venturesome and elusive; but it took on confidence and boldness during the Mithridatic war because it lent itself to the king's service. … the Romans were embroiled in civil wars at the gates of Rome, the sea was left unguarded, and gradually drew and enticed them on until they no longer attacked navigators only, but also laid waste islands and maritime cities. And presently men whose wealth gave them power, and those whose lineage was illustrious, and those who laid claim to superior intelligence, began to embark on piratical craft and share their enterprises, feeling that the occupation brought them a certain reputation and distinction.

There were also fortified roadsteads and signal-stations for piratical craft in many places, and fleets put in here which were not merely furnished for their peculiar work with sturdy crews, skilful pilots, and light and speedy ships; nay, more annoying than the fear which they inspired was the odious extravagance of their equipment, with their gilded sails, and purple awnings, and silvered oars, as if they rioted in their iniquity and plumed themselves upon it.

Their flutes and stringed instruments and drinking bouts along every coast, their seizures of persons in high command, and their ransomings of captured cities, were a disgrace to the Roman supremacy. …

They also offered strange sacrifices of their own at Olympus, and celebrated there certain secret rites, among which those of Mithras continue to the present time, having been first instituted by them.

Now, compare the elements above with the following extracts from Plutarch’s Life of Anthony:

...[Cleopatra] came sailing up the river Cydnus in a barge with gilded stern and outspread sails of purple, while oars of silver beat time to the music of flutes and fifes and harps. She herself lay all along, under a canopy of cloth of gold, dressed as Venus in a picture

Note: the “river Cydnus” is also called the Tarsus River because it runs by the historical city of Tarsus, i.e. in Cilicia, and Mark Anthony was famous for his “drinking bouts.” Well, of course, Plutarch could have just been using similar terms for in his descriptions, but what struck me was his deliberate description of pirates in the same terms used to describe Cleopatra and Anthony, and that much of their time together was spent in Cilicia, the alleged place of origin of the Mysteries of Mithras (Cilician Pirates). So I wondered if there was a connection? Was Anthony an initiate? It’s not an idle question because maps of the spread of the Mysteries reveal that they were probably spread by the Roman army. In fact, such a map concentrates the Mysteries around Rome, spreading outward from there, rather than spreading from Cilicia or other points East. All of this presents some difficulties for the Mithraic specialists and the various solutions they have been trying on for years are creative, if nothing else.

In any event, the connection (in my view) of the Mysteries of Mithras with Mark Anthony, though Plutarch put it back in 67 BC, led me to reconsider the period of Julius Caesar. Despite the testimony of Plutarch that the origin of the mysteries began with the pirates at that time, this is hotly debated by the specialist scholars with no agreement probably due to Plutarch’s frequent confabulations. According to one, these mysteries were not practiced until the latter part of the 1st century AD, and according to another, they began in the middle of the 1st century BC exactly as Plutarch has suggested, and Caesar himself had some experience with pirates, another very strange story that I’ll discuss later.

I wanted to nail this down, and so the period of history in which Julius Caesar was active became my focus. I didn’t know anymore about Julius Caesar than most people. He was described in the history I was taught as a power-mad conqueror of Gaul who wanted to become king of Rome and was assassinated by a conspiracy of noble patriots acting in the name of freedom. Works for me! But, since I was searching for possibly tiny clues, that meant I had to really read everything I could get my hands on about that time, including the original source materials and various exigeses of that source material, and the archaeology so as to have a better handle on whether or not the historians and exigetes were on track. I didn’t trust later historians to selectively interpret the material for me because, as I have noted in Comets and the Horns of Moses, they often do a bad job of it because they exclude awareness of very significant environmental and cosmic factors. In the course of combing through the ancient texts, I found many curious things; for example, in the History of Orosius it appears that “pirates” was often a term used for those who simply rebelled against Rome. And, of course, the arch rebel was Mithridates VI, King of Pontus, north of Cilicia, who was said to have been allied with the pirates of Cilicia. I kept reading taking notes of all kinds of strange things including:

In the six hundred and fifty-ninth year of the City [91 BC] and during the consulship of Sextus Julius Caesar and L. Marcius Philippus, all Italy was in the throes of the war against allies. This war was caused by domestic quarrels. For Livius Drusus, a tribune of the plebs, was unable to appease the Latins by a decree after they had been deceived in their hope of gaining liberty and thus he roused them all to arms. Things came to such a pass that awful prodigies terrified the saddened city. At sunrise a ball of fire, accompanied by a tremendous clap of thunder, shone forth from the northern region. While the inhabitants of Arretium were breaking bread at banquets, blood flowed from the center of the loaves as if from bodily wounds. Moreover, a shower of stones, intermingled with pieces of brick, lashed the earth far and wide for seven continuous days. Among the Samnites, a flame broke forth from a vast fissure in the ground and seemed to shoot upwards into the sky. Furthermore, several Romans on a journey saw a golden globe falling headlong from the sky to the earth; when it had become large in appearance, they saw it again carried aloft from the earth toward the rising sun, where its huge bulk hid the sun itself from view. Drusus, who was worried by these ill-boding portents, was killed by an unidentified assassin in his own house.

The Picentes, Vestini, Marsi, Paeligni, Marrucini, Samnites, and Lucani, who had long since been planning a secret rebellion, put to death at Asculum the praetor C. Servius, who had been sent to them as an ambassador. The inhabitants immediately closed the city, proclaimed a slaughter, and cut the throats of all Roman citizens. Notorious prodigies directly preceded this frightful massacre. Animals of all kinds, which were accustomed to accept caresses from the hands of men and to live among men, left their stables and pastures; even the dogs, whose nature is such that they must live among men, wandered about, howling mournfully and loping in the manner of wolves. (Italics, mine.)

Julius Caesar would have been 9 years old at the time of this amazing rain of rocks that fell for seven days amongst all the other prodigies; no doubt it made an impression on him. Obviously, the Cilician Pirates became just one of the issues at this point.

In any event, over weeks and months, I continued to read and take notes, little by little, I came to realize that yet another truly horrible cover-up of history had been perpetrated on humanity in respect of Julius Caesar himself. But here, I have to say that it was knowledge of psychopathology that enabled me to “see” what I was seeing. I began to wonder at the lack of perspicacity of historians that was revealed in the numerous volumes and papers about historiography and historical criticism through which I was wading at the time. I’m going to address that in this volume again, even though I have covered it in Comets atHoM; it is a topic that bears repeating again and again.

The central element of this present volume is something that has been exercising me to no end: the famous Roman orator of Caesar’s time, Marcus Tullius Cicero who, along with his elitist backers in the Roman Senate, pulled off something rather like a Roman 9-11 false flag attack and, as a consequence, the oligarchy was able to suppress a growing tendency to rebellion within the empire and instituted a period of surveillance and terror that was very similar to the tactics employed nowadays (sans technology). The issue around which this activity revolved was whether or not the consul or the senate had the right to execute those whom they called “terrorists” without a trial; whether a person could be declared a terrorist and deprived of their natural and/or constitutional rights simply because they were accused, with no real evidence being presented to the people.

Cicero argued that, his rather iffy evidence that they were plotting terror attacks – which amounted to very little, if anything - was sufficient to deprive them of their rights as citizens. What was glaringly obvious was that the “evidence” was not just flimsy, it was most likely manufactured by Cicero and his criminal spy-network. Cicero very much needed to execute his “terrorists” right away because, if brought to trial according to the rule of law, they would have been entitled to question his evidence and bring forth their own witnesses and the progress of the situation made it abundantly clear that this was what Cicero feared most of all. Cicero also implicitly – and probably at the behest of his elite handlers – set a precedent for the senate itself, i.e. the oligarchy, to pass and carry out sentences even though it was not an authorized court.

Now, interestingly, in reading Cicero’s orations juxtaposed against his letters which revealed what he really thought about things, and his actions which were revelatory in other ways, I kept thinking that if Julius Caesar had lived and saved the Republic as he apparently intended, Cicero would have been seen and described in the same light as Hitler’s Joseph Goebbels: a demagogue herding the populace into a totalitarian trap via threats of terror. More than that, what is horrifying to realize is that our history of Rome, our view of the much vaunted “democratic Roman Republic” is filtered to us through the mind and words of one of the most repellant and disgusting characters history has ever produced: Cicero. It’s as if the Third Reich won the war and all we know about history is slanted toward the Nazi propaganda. And, in a certain sense, when you consider Operation Paperclip , that is rather what has happened.

Skip a bunch and then:

After reading numerous studies of the life of Julius Caesar, Caesar’s own writings, the ancient historians, recent historians, books and papers about historiography and who we can trust and not trust among the ancients and why and on and on and on, there was still this gigantic problem that was defined in a very short statement at the end of historian and philologist, Luciano Canfora’s “JULIUS CAESAR: THE PEOPLE’S DICTATOR”:

When they killed him his assassins did not realize that they had eliminated the best and most far-sighted mind of their class.

This was the problem. All the history we are taught says that Caesar was a power-mad wannabe-king who destroyed Gaul, and then destroyed the Roman Republic and his heirs fought over who would succeed him, Octavian won and became Augustus, but that was cool because he was a great guy and treated the senate well, and a later emperor, Constantine, saved Christianity, so aren’t we glad they murdered Caesar? Whew! Sorry for the run-on sentence, but that is how the thing is sold to us. But a careful reading of the sources revealed something quite different. Classicist Arthur Kahn, who devoted 12 years to an in-depth study of Caesar, writes:

Caesar recognized and warned that civil war would ravage the empire if he was killed, but the self-proclaimed champions of liberty and defenders of the constitution, the subversive-hunters, the praters of piety, of patriotism and of the ancestral virtues were prepared to pull down the world if their outmoded privileges were not restored. …

The difference between Caesar and the Ciceros and the Catos of his day and of all subsequent times is that unlike them Caesar saw society as an integrity in motion; he was not confused by the apparent disconnection among social, economic, political and cultural developments. Thus he did not vacillate from week to week or even day to day in his judgments, and he was able both to evolve grandiose plans and to effect them. …
No one of his day sensed the future as he did or explored as many aspects of life experience, testing the limits of human capacities and seeking, in effect, to compel the world to adapt itself to his personal vision and aspirations. … he sought to accomplish in his [lifetime] what, in fact, was to require generations. …

Ever conscious of the corruption that threatens men commanding absolute power, he disdained to enforce conformity through repression, rejected terror as a political weapon, refused to be alarmed by rumors, scorned the use of informers and despised the hunting of “subversives.” Though harried into short temper [on occasion] and badgered by fools, he remained Caesar to the moment of his death. A man of extraordinary complexity, he possessed a penetrating intelligence coupled with a universal curiosity, an unyielding will and inexhaustible energy as well as an exuberance about the dynamic variety in life. As a foe he proved fierce and cunning, yet with an irresistible charm and a trenchant wit he captivated (and still captivates) even his enemies. …

Caesar is the greatest personality of the thousand years of Roman history. Rightfully do we continue to commemorate him in the seventh month of the year.”

How could it be that Caesar, the “greatest mind of Rome”, the greatest personality of possibly the last three thousand years, who had done so much for so many, as was patently clear even via the hostile evidence of his opponents, mainly Cicero, could be assassinated by so-called “advocates of freedom”? And after that assassination, years of war went on and on followed by the acceptance of exactly what they claimed to be rejecting in Caesar: a monarchy (in all but name) which institution Caesar probably didn’t even want? And worse, how could it be that we have sustained this view for over 700 years since the rediscovery of the historical texts about ancient Rome?

The reason is: Cicero.

All honest men killed Caesar… some lacked design, some courage, some opportunity: none lacked the will. ~ Cicero, Philippics

No bigger lie has ever been propagated.

Skip more and then:

Just how revolting and repellant a creature Cicero actually was, has been dissected with clinical precision by the eminent French historian, Jérôme Carcopino in his two volume tour-de-force, CICERO: THE SECRETS OF HIS CORRESPONDENCE, published in 1951. Carcopino’s thesis is that Cicero’s letters were published in 34-32 BC as propaganda by the man who proscribed Cicero: Octavian, the future emperor Augustus. Carcopino identifies the individuals who would have had access to the collections of letters: Cicero’s friend, Atticus and his son, Marcus, both of whom had been pardoned and welcomed into the fold of Octavian. More than that, Atticus’ daughter was married to Octavian’s general and minister, Marcus Agrippa which gives added weight to Carcopino’s theory.
Despite Carcopino’s valiant efforts to remain objective, I think that the essential nature of Cicero got to him and his revulsion emerges from time to time. Can’t say I blame him; same thing happened to me.

Without this evidence [the correspondence] we might indeed believe in [Cicero’s] virtues… Without it, we might preserve the right, if not to pay quite so much admiration to his political genius as his speeches seek to inspire in us, at least to look on him as a great statesman whom Fate ultimately betrayed, a man whose actions were guided by those moral principles and political maxims immortalized in his orations and his writings, a man who deserved a better fate than the sorrows and sufferings which befell him.

The Correspondence, however, throws the ugly side of Cicero’s character into sharp relief; it displays the inconsistencies and treacheries of his conduct, which was neither straightforward nor courageous nor disinterested. As we turn these pages whose outspokenness borders on cynicism, our enthusiasm is quenched, our illusions take flight. The politician revealed in them is so odious that his misfortunes appear as the due punishment of unpardonable faults, into which he was plunged by the miscalculations of a mind too self-centered to be clear-sighted, and by the misguided manoeuvres of a will too infirm to rise above the crises amid which his generation were engaged in strife. As regards his private life Cicero’s correspondence strips him of every rag of respectability, sparing him no vice or eccentricity; it covers him with ridicule where it does not cover him with infamy.

It will never be possible to honour Cicero for courage, modesty or far-sighted vision; these qualities he never possessed. Compared with his opponents’, however, his wiles and stratagems were often no more than childishnesses…. The fairest literary legacy which Roman Antiquity has bequeathed us is not sincere. It will henceforth require rigorous scrutiny, both pragmatic and psychological, such as no one has yet applied to it, since no one before has penetrated the ulterior motives of those who prepared it for our consumption.

Skip:

Even one of Cicero’s biographers, D. R. Shackleton Bailey, who otherwise treated him sympathetically, wrote:

At the climax of his history of Catiline’s conspiracy Sallust introduces two contrasted personalities as preeminent above all contemporaries in virtus (virtue, courage, manliness): Caesar and Cato. Both were masters of their circumstances, Caesar bending them to his will, Cato… defying them.

Clearly, Cicero was not that sort of man. In his various phases he became what circumstances made him, sometimes paltry, sometimes almost heroic. His ambition was rooted in insufficiency. Carrying all his life a set of traditional ideas which he never consciously questioned, he seldom ignored his code, but was easily swayed and perplexed by side issues and more or less unacknowledged personal inducements. His agile mind moved on the surface of things, victim of their complexity….

He failed to realize that self-praise can defeat its end. Alongside the image of the wise and dauntless patriot which he tried to project into posterity has arisen the counter-image of a windbag, a wiseacre, a humbug, a spiteful, vainglorious egotist. And that is not because, as some of his admirers have urged, the survival of his private correspondence has placed him at a disadvantage. His published speeches betray him to a generation intolerant of his kind of cliché. The flabbiness, pomposity, and essential fatuity of Ciceronian rhetoric at its too frequent worst does him more damage than any epistolary ‘secrets’. No other antique personality has inspired such venomous dislike. His modern enemies both hate and despise him – from titanic Mommsen … to Kingsley Amis. The living Cicero was hated by some, but not despised. His gifts, matching the times, were too conspicuous. And many opponents were disarmed…

There it is: though he was “a spiteful and vainglorious egotist” he had “gifts” that enabled him to “disarm” many. That was key not only to what Cicero did during his life, but also the hold that his writings had on the minds of later readers so that our entire understanding of what was going on in Rome during those times was totally upside down. We also notice that “Shack” could have definitely used psychopathological knowledge to good advantage. He attempted to analyze Cicero with standard humanistic psychology suggesting that Cicero was just driven by overcompensation of a feeling a lack of self-esteem due to mother problems. That was his first mistake: critical correction and projecting his own psychological landscape onto Cicero to fill in the blanks or explain away the obvious pathology. So many other scholars do the same thing. After reading dozens of papers analyzing this or that person or puzzle of those times, I began to wonder if classical scholars, with a few exceptions, are able to dress themselves. Most of the papers proposing solutions for why this or that character in ancient times must have done what he did, made it glaringly obvious that many academics wouldn’t know a real psychological insight if it smacked them in the face. They were obviously not paying attention to the reality around them in any way, from the personal scale to the macro-social sphere. That, of course, raises questions about the psychopathology of academia.

Skip discussion of ponerology and quotes from Lobaczewski. A few comments along the way:

This is the stage where we are going to encounter Cicero who – as a spellbinder terrified that external controls were loosening - contributed greatly to the hysterization of Rome. And when people are in such a state, they are like maddened cattle and can be driven this way or that way, and even over a cliff. ...

Cicero’s solution to fix Rome’s problems was, essentially, “change nothing, the elites must remain in charge because they are the only ones qualified to rule!” And he desperately needed the state to continue to rule because he identified himself with the state; he considered himself to be a unique individual with mythical importance and his survival was dependent on the survival of the oligarchical republic . That is, he, himself, was without any core of virtue. ...

In the ponerogenic process of the pathocratic phenomenon, characteropathic individuals adopt ideologies created by doctrinaire, often schizoidal people, recast them into an active propaganda form, and disseminate it with pathological egotism and paranoid intolerance for any philosophies which may differ from their own. They also inspire further transformation of this ideology into its pathological counterpart. Something which had a doctrinaire character and circulated in numerically limited groups is now activated at societal level, thanks to their spellbinding possibilities.

This is precisely what happened as a result of Cicero’s little 9-11, the Catilinarian Conspiracy and then, later, describes his influence on the assassins of Julius Caesar.

Skip more:

The influence of the ideals of the imagined Roman Republic on our own society are manifold and disturbing. Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington reveals how he has been taken in by Ciceronian propaganda:

I invited them to dine with me, and after dinner, sitting at our wine, having settled our question, other conversation came on, in which a collision of opinion arose between Mr. [John Quincy] Adams and Colonel [Alexander] Hamilton, on the merits of the British Constitution, Mr. Adams giving it as his opinion, that, if some of its defects and abuses were corrected, it would be the most perfect constitution of government ever devised by man. Hamilton, on the contrary, asserted, that with its existing vices, it was the most perfect model of government that could be formed; and that the correction of its vices would render it an impracticable government. And this you May be assured was the real line of difference between the political principles of these two gentlemen.

Another incident took place on the same occasion, which will further delineate Mr. Hamilton's political principles. The room being hung around with a collection of the portraits of remarkable men, among them were those of Bacon, Newton and Locke. Hamilton asked me who they were. I told him they were my trinity of the three greatest men the world had ever produced, naming them. He paused for some time: “The greatest man,” said he, “that ever lived, was Julius Caesar.” Mr. Adams was honest as a politician as well as a man; Hamilton honest as a man, but, as a politician, believing in the necessity of either force or corruption to govern men.

Thomas Jefferson and his pals were all about democracy, right? And Hamilton was a Federalist, right? Didn’t Jefferson write the Declaration of Independence saying “all men are created equal”? Isn’t Jefferson then better than Hamilton (speaking loosely)? ...

So Jefferson was wrong and lacking in perceptiveness due probably to his socialization. Cognitive science studies reveal that people perceive reality – past and present - according to the position they occupy in the social order. Jefferson was born to a well-to-do planter and had a somewhat privileged life as he was growing up. Hamilton, on the other hand, was an illegitimate child, soon abandoned by his father and then orphaned by the death of his mother. At a young age, he was forced to work as a clerk. He was later adopted by a merchant. He was self-educated and a collection was taken up by the community where he lived to send him to school. So, undoubtedly, Hamilton had a very different perception of reality than Jefferson did: one more congruent with the vast majority of human beings on this planet who actually have to work for a living and suffer under the repressions of hypocritical and often conscienceless ruling elites. He understood the needs of the vast majority of the common people.

To be continued...

Skip lots... then:

Michael Parenti writes his history from the point of view of the masses of humanity, the working people who are oppressed and used as the playing pieces in the game of power and plunder. He points out that, whenever, in reading ancient history either by the ancient writers or modern redactors/historians, we must keep in mind that references to the “mob” nearly always mean the “working class.” Also keep in mind that the modern day elites think this way: you, the working class, in your aspirations for a decent life, are just a member of their despised “mob” even if you are an Authoritarian Follower who will support them to your death and even give them your children to kill with and be killed.

Cicero made his identification with the ruling elite quite plain when he denounced "the artisans and shopkeepers and all that kind of scum". You will find the same attitude in the historians who use Cicero as a source or are simply writing about their own times: historians such as Cassius Dio, Tacitus, Plutarch, Suetonius, etc. In general, they all condemn the general population as a mindless mob, scum of the earth, something less than human. At the same time, because they are somewhat committed to recording “what happened” even if they have to “fill in the details”, they manage to report specific instances where history shows that the “brainless mob” were not, in fact, so brainless and were certainly not without conscience. For example, the crowd booed Pompeius Magnus in the Arena for killing Elephants; that was extraordinary taken in the context of the times when prisoners of conquered peoples were regularly used in “killing games” for the entertainment of the people; and they didn’t think it was appropriate for Caesar to celebrate his victory in the Civil War which was Romans against Romans. It seems that the people understood that the deaths of their fellows were due to the fact that they had been used as the tools by the two warring factions and that victory of one, over the other, simply meant losses to Rome.
Rome’s Civil Wars were just the natural outcome of the conflicts that will always arise when a small clique – less than 1% - of the population are convinced that they have the right to oppress the other 99%. But these wars, fought by Julius Caesar – an Amazing Apostate if ever there was one - against the entrenched oligarchy, were only the culmination of resistance against the aristocrats which had begun even hundreds of years earlier when the plebeians demanded representation and withdrew from Rome leaving the patricians to fend for themselves. From 495 to 287 BC, there were several such actions which resulted in some token rights being granted by the Senate of Rome, but it was always done in such a way that the patricians continued to hold the reins and to control what actually did or did not get done. In that sense, it was rather like the US Constitution which was not accepted or ratified until the Bill of Rights was added (and was criticized by Hamilton).

In Rome, this begrudging of any consideration of the plebeians - shopkeepers, crafts people, and skilled or unskilled workers, many of whom became quite successful and wealthy – was the source of constant conflict and it intensified after the Punic Wars during which time the plebeians were replaced, for all intents and purposes, by captured slaves. In a sense, that system was rather like the current US corporate practice of outsourcing jobs overseas. The Roman plebs were deprived of any ability to make a living, there were no jobs because slaves did all the work, and the situation became quite dire for vast numbers of Italians who, in order to even be citizens, had to own a certain amount of land and have a certain amount of money! As you might guess, the numbers of voting citizens declined drastically, so the much vaunted Roman democracy didn’t actually exist in practice. These conditions were deplored by men of conscience such as the brothers Gracchi and the plebeian general Marius. Other leaders of the populares arose and all were assassinated or massacred by the Senators and their henchmen, including Gaius Julius Caesar. We have seen the same pattern in our own history. And of course, after they are killed, their memory is smeared with filth and their characters assassinated on top of it.

To state the argument for this thesis in full it seems proper to go back to the original point at which the chain of causation begins, that is to say to the dual nature of the Roman constitution and the political revolution of the Gracchi-no revolution in theory but a revolution in fact. This established a precedent; the people, that is the plebs, had at length exercised their theoretical sovereignty and the way was open through tribunician action for the career of Marius. The precedent of violence in Roman politics had also unfortunately been set. The aristocracy began it; Marius, Sulla, Pompeius, Caesar, and Octavian, inevitably in the circumstances, continued it in varying degrees. … The power of the tribunate was demonstrated again and again on either side, as was the new power of the individual military leader. There followed the upheaval of the Social War, and the yet more fatally disrupting Civil War that really began in 88. Sulla, the greatest of Roman opportunists excepting Caesar, departing for the Mithridatic War, conducting it, and returning from it, took terrible risks. Neither their success, nor the fact that they were risks, to be avoided in future as far as possible, were lost upon the younger generation of political leaders. No more precedent-conscious community can ever have existed; it is that factor which gives Roman history its delectable cohesion, as long as it continued truly Roman.

In the end, the oligarchs and their gentlemen-historians prevailed, at least in interpretation of the events though there is certainly enough data in those ancient accounts that the astute reader and analyst can suss out the truth as former OSS intel officer Arthur D. Kahn did in his extraordinary book The Education of Julius Caesar. If you only ever read one book about Caesar, it should be Kahn’s.

Skip stuff:

I’ve said that Cicero was something of a Goebbels for the Senate during the final decades of the Roman Republic. That’s a pretty strong statement, for sure. You don’t know what a “demagogue” is and why it is sort of a dirty word? Let Wikipedia enlighten you:

A demagogue or rabble-rouser is a political leader in a democracy who appeals to the emotions, prejudices, and ignorance of the less-educated citizens in order to gain power and promote political motives. Demagogues usually oppose deliberation and advocate immediate, violent action to address a national crisis; they accuse moderate and thoughtful opponents of weakness. Demagogues have appeared in democracies since ancient Athens. They exploit a fundamental weakness in democracy: because ultimate power is held by the people, nothing stops the people from giving that power to someone who appeals to the lowest common denominator of a large segment of the population.

While you are perusing the topic there, you’ll notice that there is a list of famous historical demagogues that includes Cleon, Alcibiades, Gaius Flaminius, Father Coughlin, Adolf Hitler, Joe McCarthy. One you do not see there is Cicero. Plus, there are serious doubts about Cleon being a demagogue because he was a low-born tanner who hated the aristocrats and the only record we have of his activity is by two aristocrats: Thucydides and Aristophanes. Alcibiades, on the other hand, was worse than a demagogue, as is effectively shown by Hervey Cleckley in his seminal work on psychopathy: “The Mask of Sanity” which I quoted in extenso in “Comets and the Horns of Moses.” I can note that Gaius Flaminius might be on the list because: “During his aedileship he distributed large quantities of low priced grain amongst the people.” That will get you black-listed by the PTB right quick!

On the other hand, Cicero would be in very good company with Joe McCarthy.

Beginning in 1950, McCarthy became the most visible public face of a period in which Cold War tensions fueled fears of widespread Communist subversion. He was noted for making claims that there were large numbers of Communists and Soviet spies and sympathizers inside the United States federal government and elsewhere. Ultimately, his tactics and inability to substantiate his claims led him to be censured by the United States Senate. The term McCarthyism, coined in 1950 in reference to McCarthy's practices, was soon applied to similar anti-communist activities. Today the term is used more generally in reference to demagogic, reckless, and unsubstantiated accusations, as well as public attacks on the character or patriotism of political opponents. … McCarthy died at the age of 48. The official cause of death was acute hepatitis; it is widely accepted that this was caused, or at least exacerbated, by alcoholism.

Cicero wrote the book on McCarthyism:

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of disloyalty, subversion, or treason without proper regard for evidence. It also means "the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism."

The big event that exposes Cicero as a truly slimy demagogue – or worse – was what has come to be known in Historical Infamy as the Catilinarian Conspiracy. If you read the account of this alleged plot to overthrow the Republic on Wikipedia, you will learn that the general “facts of the case” as presented by Cicero and Sallust are taken pretty much at face value. But when you read Kahn’s account, with the real background of the Republic and historical events of the previous few generations, and then apply the analysis of an intel officer who searches the texts for the various bits of evidence and shines the light on them, asking the right questions, applying psychological analysis, an altogether different picture emerges. What becomes abundantly clear is Cicero’s psychopathology and the very, very high probability that he manufactured the entire conspiracy and, using agents and his own demagogic rhetoric; he literally hystericized Rome and created what amounts to a 9-11 event of the time. The conflicts that this event engendered led to Rome’s Civil War, one of the most important wars of European history and the subsequent Western Civilizations that arose from the ashes. As L. G. Pocock writes:

It was certainly the most unnecessary of wars. It involved the whole of Western civilization, and yet no really deep-seated emotions or animosities, racial, national, social, or even individual, caused the conflagration. It was, in fact, nothing but a trial of strength, with no constructive objective in view, between two men, highly educated, humane, related by marriage, not unfriendly to one another, members of the same society and the same clubs, as it were, whose interests, even, need not have been incompatible. It is generally agreed that the great majority of the senatorial aristocracy very definitely did not want the war; and it seems quite clear that the small minority, of some twenty-two, who did were powerless to commence it or wage it without the will and leadership of Pompeius. It is also agreed that Caesar, while prepared to fight for his skin and his dignitas, and to that extent responsible, did not want war and made sincere efforts both to avoid it and to stop it. It cannot be shown that the optimate minority, though they might certainly bring influence to bear upon Pompeius, were ever in a position to force his hand. They were to blame, of course, and so was Caesar; but above everything else it was Pompeius' private war. He alone without grave detriment could have averted it, postponed it, or stopped it. It is therefore in his circumstances and his 'psychology' that the cause of it is to be found. …

There is much good argument to show that it was self- preservation rather than rivalry that led [Caesar] to cross the Rubicon. There is nothing to prove that he would not have been happy to remain on friendly terms with Pompeius and grant him at any rate the nominal primacy as he had done before in 56. Of Pompeius, however, it is, we fear, the sad truth; it is the real summary and simplification of the many and complicated causes of the war. …By the end of the fifties he had prepared his 'Operation Overlord', was confident it could not fail, and, egged on by natural jealousy and professional pride was glad, in his heart of hearts, to put it into action against his only rival and a foeman whom he knew to be entirely worthy of his steel.

Pompey couldn’t have done it without Cicero and Cicero started the chain reaction with Catiline. But it is true, to some extent, that these people cannot be judged without considering the light of the times and circumstances in which they lived. Indeed, the cognitive machinery of human beings is basically the same within range of statistical variations, but that machinery, people’s brains and personalities, are conditioned by their socio-cultural environment, so I think we want to understand that at the outset. I’m going to condense a lot in the next few short sections so we can get to the meat of the matter. Don’t worry! This won’t hurt a bit!

to be continued...

Skip:

In respect of Cicero and his war against change, a particular type of prodigy comes to the fore as significant: incestum of the Vestal Virgins; that is, breaking of the vows of chastity by any of the virgins put in charge of tending the sacred fire of the temple of Vesta. Such a “prodigy” consists in a violation of sacred law by human beings: incorrect behavior that could anger the gods towards the entire populace. This would constitute a tangible violation threatening the welfare of Roman society and the security of the state militarily and politically.
There were a number of such episodes of incestum on the part of the Vestal virgins, though not so many as might be expected over the very long life of the institution. One of the earlier events was in 216 BC when the Vestal Virgins Opimia and Florionia were accused. Livy then notes that a very un-Roman expiation was undertaken, to wit, a Gallic man and woman, and a Greek man and woman, were buried alive at the Forum Boarium . Then, one of the virgins involved committed suicide and the other was buried alive while at least one of the men involved, a scriba pontificius named L. Cantilius, was flogged to death – a very usual Roman procedure. We can also note that 216 BC was the year in which Hannibal defeated Roman forces at the Battle of Cannae. In numbers of Romans killed, this was the second greatest defeat of Rome, after the Battle of Arausio.

In short, in addition to celestial phenomena, meteorological phenomena, the birth of deformed infants, talking cows, rains of blood and milk, fertile mules, incorrect human behavior could be adjudged as prodigies by the senate, and therefore requiring public expiation. At the same time, some prodigies could be interpreted as favorable.

According to the tradition, auspicial were originally a patrician prerogative whereas plebeian magistrates, assemblies, and plebiscite were usually appointed or approved without any prior taking of auspices. The traditional patrician monopoly on auspices raises a number of questions, especially about how plebeians accessing patrician offices were handled with respect to the patrician auspices. The sources indicate considerable social, political, and religious changes in the relationship between patricians and plebeians from around 500 BC until the passing of the Licini-Sextic laws in 367 BC granting plebeians access to the consulate, and the lex Ogulnia in 300 BC which gave them access to the college of augurs and the college of pontifices.

Skip:

In the beginning, the priests were selected, then the Lex Domitia de sacerdotiis in 104 BC abolished this co-optive election and replaced it with elections in 17 tribes chosen by lot. This law was repealed by Sulla in 81 BC, but restored in 63 BC through the Lex Labiena. This was important to the election of Julius Caesar as Pontifex Maximus. Members of the colleges of pontifices and were elected for life. However, they could forfeit their offices if sentenced in court, though augurs appear to have been immune to this.

In Rome, the struggle for political power was not in any way a fight to “control the gods” because in Rome, augury and auspicial was not at all about “gaining control over the gods or forces of life”. On the contrary, in the Roman view of things, human beings were subject to the will of the gods and the religio-political desire was, above all, to be in harmony with the gods while one’s opponents could be accused of being in disharmony. To the Roman mind, the wish to exercise control over the gods would, itself, constitute a violation of the pax deorum. Neglecting the auspices could be fatal, as the ancient sources exampled time and time again.

In short, the function of auspices and augury was to examine and confirm that Roman society was in good relationship to the gods in respect of planned political, religious and military undertakings, offices, and individuals, were concerned. If such confirmation was not forthcoming, the reason or error had to be determined using the augural science and expiation undertaken which could reestablish the balance.

Cicero tells us that the idea of interpreting and then performing rituals to expiate prodigies and portents came from the Etruscans. A public prodigy or portent was one that was reported to the senate and approved by that body as a prodigium publicum, a portent relevant to the society as a whole and which would require the entire society to contribute to the ritual expiation. Whatever it was, it was an indicator that the pax deorum had been disturbed. There was a distinction between private and public prodigies though private prodigies that occurred in respect of public individuals could be adjudged as public portents. But the procedure that had to be followed for the declaration to be made and the expiation performed, demonstrates that it was solely the purview of the senate to approve the prodigy as public. Further, it seems clear that what was or was not determined to be a public prodigy does not indicate any sort of religious development on the part of the Romans. They were singularly rigid and conservative right up to the end of the republic at which point, Cicero, in a desperate bid to “save the republic”, fought viciously against those who would set aside the strict powers of the senate to declare prodigies and expiations.
Despite the senate’s status as the ultimate decision-making authority in public portent matters, there is no doubt that the official augurs did wield considerable power being the only religious specialists authorized to advise on the interpretation of auspices relevant to the welfare of the Roman state. According to the rules of the ideal state, Cicero tells us in De legibus, that those leading negotiations must observe the auspices and obey the public augur. Furthermore, in the event of a conflict between the magistrates and the official priesthoods’ observations and expertise in matters of public portents, the regard for religio is always identified with the regard for the welfare of the res publica. This places the response from the official priesthoods over and above the individual magistrate’s actions, opinions and schemes.

It is fairly clear that these offices were held by men from the most wealthy and powerful families meaning noble patrician families and ennobled and wealthy plebeian families: the political elite of Rome. The same group of people combined the roles of handling religious affairs as well as making political decisions in the interests of the state. As we can see from Cicero’s writings, he saw absolutely nothing wrong with this and from his perspective, an ideal social and religio-political establishment featuring the same people was not only acceptable, but highly desirable. This, of course, leads to the consideration that the formal distinction between priesthoods and magistracies was only a technical detail that meant nothing in practice. Not all priests were magistrates, nor all magistrates priests, to be sure; Cicero did not become an augur until ten years after his consulship. Further, the pontifex maximus could order a person who was simultaneously serving as priest and magistrate to pay a fine for putting his magisterial duties above his religious duties. This highlights the fact that, at some point in time, it must have been seen as needful to put measures in place to ensure that politics yielded to religion because the latter was seen as the preeminent concern of the political state. Nevertheless, it is clear that certain individuals did hold multiple offices and would have discussed religio-political affairs among themselves.

Rasmussen describes the fixed procedure for determining prodigies based on the sources. Anyone could report an observation of an unusual event to the senate. The consuls would normally present the reports along with eyewitnesses who corroborated the event. Some reports were submitted in writing. The senate then had to decide if the event was a prodigium publicum. There were three options available to them at this point:

1) Refusal to approve the event as a prodigy. This could be justified on the grounds that there were too few witnesses or the witnesses were of dubious reliability.
2) Approve the event as a prodigy, but not relevant to the public welfare. It would be declared to be a “private portent.”
3) Approve the event as important to the public welfare and then undertake to find out from specialists what form the expiation must take.

For the latter part of the process, the three groups of experts used were: the decemviri sacris faciundis, the pontifices, and the haruspices. The determination of the priests were given in the form of responsa and decreta which the senate could then choose to comply with or not. They could also decide whether or not to report the prodigy and responses to the public. At that point, the senate could authorize the recommended actions which was the formal responsibility of the consuls who frequently were the ones required to perform the expiatory sacrifices themselves. This will be important further on, so keep it in mind. For the moment, notice that Livy reports several cases where prodigies were reported and had to be expiated after new consuls had been elected and before the old consuls had left to take up governorships in their assigned provinces as was the general order of things.
Apparently, prodigies could be collected up and expiated all at once, but some of them were so serious that expiation was required as quickly as possible. The timing and swiftness could ensure a good beginning for the next year. The delays imposed on consuls due to prodigies reveals quite clearly that the manner of dealing with public portents certainly exerted a powerful influence on the political establishment itself, and was not necessarily a tool for mass manipulation. The sources are very clear on the fact that prodigies were high priority items on the senatorial agenda. Issues relating to the gods were always dealt with before matters relating to human affairs. Rasmussen writes:

The Roman Senate is commonly characterized by its primarily moral power, auctoritas, its advisory function, and its lack of any real powers. Yet in connection with matters relating to public portents and religio-political disputes involving portents, the sources and the religio-political procedure demonstrate that in practice, the Senate was the decision-making body….

There can be no doubt about the mutual interaction between the prodigies on the one hand and political and military actions on the other. What is more, the possibility of achieving a religious legitimization of political matters is incorporated into the procedure itself….

Another bit of evidence of the importance of prodigies was the fact that, in 208 BC, the pontifices raised an objection to the consecration of a temple to two deities: Honos and Virtus, on the grounds that it would be impossible to know which deity to appeal to in expiation in the event the temple was struck by lightning!

It seems that, in the year 193 BC, according to Livy, the Senate made a decision to stop accepting prodigy reports because they were too numerous. Rasmussen speculates that this was not so much evidence of political manipulation but that the high incidence of earthquakes and other prodigies of the time obstructed political life entirely. The prodigies prevented the departure of the consuls, prevented the convening of the senate, the transaction of any public business, etc. The Sibylline Books were consulted and the necessary rituals performed, after which the senate said “that’s enough.” The fact that the senate had to take this extreme measure is evidence of the essential role of prodigies in the political life of Rome. Once a prodigy had been reported, the senate was obliged to deal with it according to traditional, fixed, procedure. If, as some scholars would like to think, portents held no real significance at the political level, the senate could easily have chosen to ignore or reject them. Instead, they pursued the policy of a singular expiation as advised by the priests and the Sibylline books, and were assured thereby that they could stop accepting further reports and being required thereby to deal with them.

On another occasion that Livy reports, a violent wind knocked over a pillar and statue in front of the temple of Jupiter in 152 BC. The haruspices interpreted the prodigy to mean death among the magistrates and priests upon which announcement, ever single one of them resigned!

The point of this brief survey is that environmental factors, human behaviors, and unusual phenomena had decisive, even controlling, influences on social, political, and military affairs in the Roman Republic right down to the time of, and including the actions of, Cicero, as I will show further on. Indeed, we will see that political manipulation of this tradition took place, but the tradition, the system, had to exist first – and in a significant way – for such manipulation to be implemented – as it was by Cicero.

The modern mind is shocked when considering all this Roman business of killing critters and splattering blood everywhere every time they turned around, along with all the other apparently silly rituals, one begins to think that these people were simply nuts. You ask yourself: how could anybody believe that nonsense?! And when you consider that our own civilization is considered to be modeled on that one, that great thinkers of the Renaissance attributed to such as Cicero enormous powers of intellect and rationality, how the heck do we deal with the fact that these people – including Cicero – were regularly peering at the guts of freshly dead animals in order to decide whether or not they should take a trip, make a speech, pass a law, make war, or execute prisoners?

Obviously, we cannot judge them by the standards of our own time. Perhaps they would be more justifiably appalled at our nebulous astralized belief systems that don’t seem to have anything at all to do with reality. Obviously, rationality is a culture-bound and context-related concept. As Rasmussen says:

Roman divination represents a series of assumptions and institutionalized behavioral patterns that attribute rational qualities (in the modern sense) to that which is irrational (in the modern sense). This is done by establishing causal contexts based on the systematic observation of signs/portents that are interpreted according to specific rules and patterns. … based on the sources dealing with public portents in Roman religion, it is possible to regard divination as a scientific discipline that is first and foremost characterized by its reliance on the systematic organization of actual observations. I define the term “scientific discipline” as an institutionalized body of knowledge that builds on systematic, empirical examinations of connections that seek and understanding of the world and include the establishment of profane and sacred contexts. …

Cicero’s DE DIVINATION emphasizes that as far as scientific divination is concerned, the many years of continued observation have allowed the experts to amass large amounts of knowledge concerning the connections between the occurrence of certain signs and subsequent events. Cicero declares that although mortals cannot explain why each individual thing happens, it is sufficient to establish that the things do happen. He makes the comparison that if one were to claim a magnet is a stone that attracts iron without being able to explain why, it is not the same as denying the existence of the phenomenon….
Roman public portents are concerned with the registration, systematization, interpretation, and potential expiation of present phenomena relating to future events, based on past experience.

The Vestal Virgins play a significant role in the plot of Cicero and subsequently, in the life and death of Publius Clodius Pulcher who was commemorated by his wife, Fulvia, who later became the wife of Antonius, and it was probably Fulvia who gave Antony the idea of what he did at Caesar's funeral. So, let's look at my section on the Vestals (chunk of it, anyway, not the whole thing).

In Rome, the embodiment of the fire was Vesta, the symbol of moral order. Ovid says of her that she occupied the first place in the religious practices of men. The Vestal Virgins were very important in the Roman religious scheme of things. They were priestesses of the goddess Vesta, the personification of the communal hearth which symbolized the collective hearths of the citizens. The tradition told that the Vestals were instituted by King Numa Pompilius, the legendary second king of Rome. There were six of them, they were appointed while young children between the ages of six and ten years old, and had to be daughters of respectable citizens, born in wedlock, in Italy, preferably Rome. In practice, since the earliest “citizens” (those who had ancestors and a family altar) turned into the oligarchy, that meant only daughters of such families were usually selected. The position was one of great honor and certain advantages. After inauguration, a Vestal virgin passed from the control (tutela) of her father to that of the pontifex maximus. She served for a minimum of 30 years which meant she might retire as early as the age of 36, but she could stay on voluntarily for life. If she chose to retire, she could marry, (but 36 was a bit old for having children).

The Vestal virgins had a pretty easy job: they just kept the fire going in the temple, made daily sacrifices, kept the temple clean, and presided over a number of religious ceremonies throughout the year. The persons of the Vestal virgins were sacred and anyone who raised a hand against them was executed. This meant that their presence was a guarantee against violence and they could appeal on behalf of an accused person; a chance encounter with a Vestal could save a condemned man from execution. Finally, they were permitted to own property and could will it to whom they chose, a quite advantageous legal privilege.
Obviously, it can be seen that their position was one which invited potential corruption.

These women had a pretty decent life but there was one thing they could not ever, ever do: lose their virginity. A non-virgin polluted the sacred rites and called down the anger of the goddess and probably other gods. If they had sexual intercourse with anyone, the crime was considered to be incest, not just adultery or wantonness. The penalty was death for both the Vestal and the paramour. The Vestal would be forced into a pit with a few days food and water, and the pit closed with stones or bricks and a mound of earth. The man would be flogged to death with rods. This punishment was actually carried out on at least 11 occasions up to 113 BC. Plutarch writes:

[The Pontifex Maximus] was also the overseer of the holy virgins who are called Vestals. For they ascribe to Numa also the dedication of the Vestal Virgins and generally the care and worship of the inextinguishable fire which they guard, either because he considered the nature of fire to be pure and uncorrupted and so entrusted it to uncontaminated and undefiled bodies or else because he compared its fruitlessness and sterility to virginity. In fact, in all of Greece wherever there is an inextinguishable fire, as at Delph and Athens, virgins do not have the care of it but women who are beyond the age of marriage.

Plutarch was obviously a bit nonplussed that in Rome, the tenders of the fire had to be virgins. We can note that the unique legal status of the Vestals freed them from usual family ties which made it possible for them to incarnate the collective spirit of the state. The virginity of the Vestals probably represented the purity of this collective; the absence of any evil spiritual influence. In ancient times, feminine virtue was the yardstick of the moral health of a society, and for the Romans, this was a historical reality. Throughout the history of Rome, there are numerous occasions where charges of sexual impurity in women (violation of their vows by the Vestals, or adultery in wives) were declared to be responsible for danger to the state.

This series of strange incidents, spanning a thousand years of Roman history, reveals a world-view deeply rooted in sympathetic magic, where women in their strictly limited societal roels emboedied the state, and the inviolability and control of women was objectified as the iviolability and control of the community.

The virginity of the Vestals wasn’t just the symbol of the state’s safety, it was the guarantee; virginity symbolized the intact state of boundaries and the unity of all families within those collective boundaries. The Vestals, by preserving their virginity, were magically preserving the state. Her unique legal status was less a privilege than a magical function. She was taken away from her family, legal ties dissolved, but she did not become a member of any other family. She did not stop being a woman, but she ceased being like “other women.”

The exchange of women to seal interfamilial bonds and political ties was a marked feature of Roman society. Thus, if the Vestal Virgin was to represent the society as a whole, she must be exterior to all families. Since a basic principle of Roman law was that a woman always belonged to someone, the procedure to free the Vestals from ownership was both complex and comprehensive. … prevented her from being an orphan [which would have damaged her perfect nature] while still guaranteeing that legally and religiously she had no family. … Her masculine rights and privileges were side effects of the act of freeing her from all masculine ownership. … The Vestal was thus the totem of Rome… Her virginity is a type of binding spell familiar from ritual observances in many cultures. … Thus, as long as the Vestal remained intact, so did Rome.

If, and when, a Vestal strayed from the path, she was ritually sacrificed as mentioned above. This was basic scape-goating: deflecting onto the victim the danger of violence. In the historical record, there is a total lack of any protest – even from the Vestals themselves – against the sacrifice of a Vestal Virgin. The Vestal Aemilia, when the sacred fire had been allowed to go out, prayed to Vesta “If anything unholy has been done by me, let the pollution of the city be expiated by my punishment.” In the time of Domitian, Pliny witnessed the execution of the Vestal, Cornelia who was reported to have said on her way to be buried alive: Does Caesar think that I have been unchaste, when he has conquered and triumphed while I have been performing the rites?” Pliny hated Domitian and suspected him of ulterior motives in this case and wrote “I don’t know wheter she was innocent, but she certainly acted as if she were innocent. The murder of the Vestal was clearly a form of human sacrifice that was intended to unite the society in a unanimous act of violence that would not result in reciprocal vengeance. And, interestingly, anthropological studies indicate that such a victim should be fundamentally innocent for the sacrifice to be efficacious.
However, ritual measures had to be taken to overlay an aura of guilt on the victim in order to engage the unanimity of the society toward the sacrifice. The victim would be charged with grave crimes – generally the more hideous the better – which actually amounted to unloading the collective crimes of the society onto the innocent victim. In short, Rome maintained at all times, in the institution of the Vestal Virgins, both perfect priestesses who, if needed, were at-the-ready perfect victims for the ultimate sacrifice. An example from Livy writing about ancient Rome in 483 BC:

War with the Veii then broke out and the Volsci resumed hostilities. Roman resources were almost more than sufficient for war against an external enemy, but they were squandered by the Romans fighting amon themselves. Adding to everyon’e mental anxiety were heavenly prodigies, occurring in Rome and the countryside, which showed the anger of the gods almost daily. The prophets, after consulting first the entrails and then the birds about both the public and the private omens, announced that there was no other reason for the gods being so moved, except that the sacred rites were not being performed correctly. These terrors finally resulted in the Vestal Virgin Oppia being condemned for incestum and executed.

The Vestal accused of incestum was not just a sinner, but a criminal also. A trial guaranteed the guilt of the surrogate victim and increased the sacrificially necessary guilt. She was made responsible for all the evils that occurred in a time of crisis. However, the death must be left to a natural force so that the polluting presence will be removed without committing a polluting act.: thus, being buried alive. No one is personally responsible for the death and thus, no one else is tainted. The Vestals were buried alive with a few days supply of food which Plutarch explicitly says was done so that the death of a sacred person could not be attributed to anyone but herself. Paradoxically, after her death, the executed Vestal Virgin was thought to guard the city she had betrayed. This is further evidence of the practice being a kind of holy sacrifice following strict ritual norms. The Vestal Virgin was devoted, sacrificed, on behalf of the people, to expiate the anger of the gods.

The Vestals were not the only women in Roman society who were sacrificed. Controlling women and their sexuality was equivalent to controlling the state. Dangers made manifest toward the state, either outside or inside, could only be dealt with by the punishment of women. In 331, there was a plague and 20 patrician wives were charged with a poisoning conspiracy. They were forced to drink drugs – a trial by ordeal – and died. A further 170 married women were executed after an investigation. In 296, the cult of Plebeian Chastity was founded and the following year an unknown number of Roman matrons were found guilty of adultery and fined. In 215, following the disaster at Cannae, the Oppian law was passed and the Vestal Virgins Floronia and Opimia were executed together with additional human sacrifices. In 213, an unspecified number of citizens wives were exiled for adultery. In 204, there was a trial by ordeal of Claudia Quinta who was charged with adultery.In 186, the Bacchanalia scandal erupted when thousands of women were executed by their family courts or the state itself. In 184, further trials of those accused of poisonings (men and women). In 180, Hostilia Quarta was condemned for poisoning her husband and three thousand other people were found guilty of poisoning. In 154, Publilia and Licinia were strangled after being tried in family tribunals after being accused of poisoning their husbands. In 113, there was the above mentioned trial and execution (buried alive) of Vestal Virgins.
These eruptions of rage against women reveal a prodound fear at the core of Roman society. …the very interchangeability and exchangeability on which Rome was based necessitated that a woman still be attached to, and be a member of, her father’s family for her to have value as an exchange. As a result, she was still a stranger in her marriage family and feared as a stranger… a potential traitoress… This fear, though best known to folklore as centering on the figure of the step-mother, was not confined to her. Rather, since for Rome the children were the husband’s both legally and biologically, all mothers were stepmothers, fostering another’s children. … According to Plutarch the laws of Romulus specified that a husband may divorce his wwife only for poisoning his children, counterfeiting his keys, or adultery. This very marginality of women makes them the perfect victims. In times of panic, the society can easily be restored to health by the sacrifice, exile, or punishment of wives, who are central to the family yet not fully members of it; who are necessary to produce children yet expendable… the charge of adultery was the betrayal of all her male relatives, both by birth and by marriage. … We hear not of individual women put on trial but masses. We are told not of monstrous women acting alone but in consort… they formed an anti-society… a witch-world wose values were distorted parodies of the values of patriarchal society… The unpenetrated virgin and the well-regulated wife both embodied the city in the symbolic universes of sympathetic magic.

Obviously, something happened during the formation of the Roman state, and throughout its existence, that made what they were doing entirely rational. My suggestions as to the conditions suffered by peoples around the world in the ancient, formative, Dark Ages are, of course, described in some detail in my previous book, “COMET AND THE HORNS OF MOSES” so I won’t go into that in any detail here. However, I can note here that the cosmic threats were responded to by various peoples according to either their inherent natures or instructions given them by someone.

It was claimed that the Roman religious institutions were established by the legendary king Numa. Plutarch thought he detected a Laconian influence, attributing the connection to the Sabine culture of Numa, for "Numa was descended of the Sabines, who declare themselves to be a colony of the Lacedaemonians." Dionysius of Halicarnassus devotes a much longer space to Numa's religious reforms. In his account the institution of eight priesthoods is attributed to him: curiones, flamines, celeres, augurs, vestals, salii, fetials, pontiffs. Minute prescriptions about the ceremonies and sacrifices were certainly written down in order to perform them correctly and Plutarch records some of these. Plutarch, in like manner, tells of the early religion of the Romans, that it was imageless and spiritual. He says Numa "forbade the Romans to represent the deity in the form either of man or of beast. Nor was there among them formerly any image or statue of the Divine Being; during the first one hundred and seventy years they built temples, indeed, and other sacred domes, but placed in them no figure of any kind; persuaded that it is impious to represent things Divine by what is perishable, and that we can have no conception of God but by the understanding". This last bit seems rather Pythagorean, but the suggested link with the Lacedaemonians (Spartans) made me think of Traveling Salvation Shows.

If you think that itinerant revival preachers, tent evangelists, or faith-healing meetings are a Christian phenomenon, think again: such activities have their roots in the ancient Orientalizing influences on Greece. They were, it seems, a very special kind of traveling skilled artisans whose importance and influence suggests to us the seriousness of the environment in which such could develop and prosper. Seers and doctors were mentioned by Homer as “migrant craftsmen”, individuals which communities were anxious to attract and keep, as the two activities appear to have been closely connected. The fact that these individuals were seen as specialists of a particular craft – partly hereditary, partly acquired by learning and intitiation, reveals the important place that religious therapies for individuals, groups, cities and nations held.

The Derveni papyrus, written in about 340 BC by the circle of philosophers that included the ill-fated Anaxagoras who we met in the previous volume, describes individuals who specialize in initiations as “He who make the sacred his craft”. Strabo, too, refers to the “Dionsiac and Orphic crafts”. Even Hippocrates, who was at pains to differentiate between medicine as a science, and psychological catharsis, admitted that migrant seers and healers presented themselves as bearers of special knowledge.

It seems that in those times, as today, charismatic technicians of other-worldly interactions could become widely sought-after personalities. In fact, it appears that they represented the intellectual elite of that time. We get a hint of this in the regard that even Heraclitus had for Pythagoras who was certainly just such a technician. Their special status gave them the ability to freely cross borders and thereby transfer cultural knowledge from one place to another. In the Amarna correspondence from the time of Akhenaten, the kings of Ugarit and Hatti request physicians and seers from the Egyptians. Obviously, they were not yet aware of the fact that Egypt, itself, was falling into dire straits and none of its psychic specialists seem to have been able to counter the deleterious effects of the regime of the last members of the 18th dynasty.

In 670 BC, it is said that Thaletas of Gortyn (Crete), a charismatic musician, delivered Sparta from a plague. Apparently, the presence of an epidemic (epidemia: temporary sojourn), could attract migrant seers as well as physicians. Before him, there was the legendary Karmanor, the priest who purified Apollo after the god had slain the Delphic dragon. Karmanor himself was later killed by Zeus with a thunderbolt. Walter Burkert notes that the name does not appear to be Greek.

I will be going into this in much more detail in the next volume of Secret History, for now, suffice it to say, that it seems to me that there must have been one of these Traveling Salvation Shows at some point back in the mists of time, who gave the Romans their cultic solutions to environmental carnage. And whoever it was, I think we can safely say that we detect schizoidal psychopathy in the implied schizoidal declaration: “Human nature is so bad that order in human society can only be maintained by a strong power created by highly qualified individuals in the name of some higher idea.”

Obviously, the Greek influence can’t be the whole thing. Theodor Mommsen points out that Greece was permeated by cultural influences from the East while Etruria, Latium and Campania “faced West”. So, although the Greeks and the Romans may have had distant ancestors in common, their historical development was dependent on other factors once they had established themselves on the Greek and Italian peninsulas, respectively.
Now that we have a broad overview of the religious underpinnings of Roman society, let’s quickly cover some historical background that will help us to contextualize the Catilinarian Conspiracy.

I am skipping the early legendary history of Rome because I will cover that in another volume. I will note here briefly that, certain reforms were said to have been effected during the period of the monarchy by king Servius Tullius, to wit: most of the reforms credited to Servius extended voting rights to certain groups — in particular to Rome's citizen-commoners (known in the Republican era as plebs), minor landholders hitherto disqualified from voting by ancestry, status or ethnicity. The same reforms simultaneously defined the fiscal and military obligations of all Roman citizens.

Until the Servian reforms, the passing of laws and judgment was the prerogative of the comitia curiata (curiate assembly), made up from thirty curiae; Roman sources describe ten curiae for each of three aristocratic tribes or clans, each supposedly based on one of Rome's central hills, and claiming patrician status by virtue of their descent from Rome's founding families. These tribes comprised approximately 200 gentes (clans), each of which contributed one senator ("elder") to the Senate. The senate advised the king, devised laws in his name, and was held to represent the entire populus Romanus (Roman people); but it could only debate and discuss. Its decisions had no force unless approved by the comitia curiata. By the time of Servius, if not long before, the tribes of the comitia were a minority of the population, ruling a multitude with no effective voice in their own government. Roman tradition held that Servius formed a comitia centuriata of commoners to displace the comitia curiata as Rome's central legislative body. This required his development of the first Roman census, making Servius the first Roman censor. The institution of the census and the comitia centuriata are speculated as Servius' attempt to erode the civil and military power of the Roman aristocracy, and seek the direct support of his newly enfranchised citizenry in civil matters; if necessary, under arms.

The census grouped Rome's male citizen population in classes, according to status, wealth and age. Each class was subdivided into groups called centuriae (centuries), nominally of 100 men (Latin centum = 100) but in practice of variable number, further divided as seniores (men aged 46 – 60, of a suitable age to serve as "home guards" or city police) and iuniores (men aged 17 – 45, to serve as front-line troops when required). Adult male citizens were obliged, when called upon, to fulfill military service according to their means. A citizen's wealth and class would therefore have defined their position in the civil hierarchies, and up to a point, within the military; but despite its apparent military character, and its possible origins as the mustering of the citizenry-at-arms, the system would have primarily served to determine the voting qualifications and wealth of individual citizens for taxation purposes, and the weight of their vote — wars were occasional but taxation was a constant necessity.Though each century had voting rights, the wealthiest had the most centuries, and voted first. Those beneath them were convened only in the event of deadlock or indecision; the lowest class was unlikely to vote at all.

His servile birth-mythos, his populist leanings and his reorganisation of the vici appear to justify the Roman belief that he founded or reformed the Compitalia festivals (held to celebrate the Lares that watched over each local community), or allowed for the first time their attendance and service by non-citizens and slaves. Once in existence, the comitia centuriata could not be unmade, or its powers reduced: as Republican Rome's highest court of appeal, it had the capacity to overturn court decisions, and the Republican senate was constitutionally obliged to seek its approval. In time, the comitia centuriata legitimized the rise to power of a plebeian nobility, and plebeian consuls. Plutarch admires the Servian reforms for their imposition of good order in government, the military and public morality, and Servius himself as the wisest, most fortunate and best of all Rome's kings.

Just 15 years after the alleged exiling of the last king and the formation of the republic under senatorial/consular rule, in 494 BC, the city was at war, but the plebeian soldiers refused to fight, and instead went on strike. The patricians were desperate and thus they quickly agreed to the demands of the plebeians, that they be given the right to elect their own officials. These new officials, plebeian tribunes (tribuni plebis), and their two assistants, the plebeian aediles (aediles plebi), were elected by the plebeians (non-aristocrats that owned land) rather than by all of the People of Rome (plebeians, the patrician nobility, and the capite censi, landless commoners).

Obviously, the plebs were not going to accept an empty title and powerless official, but it was the peculiar nature of Roman beliefs that obliged them to come up with a rather unique manner of giving these new tribunes a form of real power. So the powers they gave to the tribunate were unique and unprecedented. The tribunes were sacrosanct, made sacred by virtue of their office; no one was allowed to touch them (without their permission, of course). Their sacrosanctity was enforced by a pledge, taken by the plebeians, to kill any person who interfered with a tribune during his term of office. No other powers were given to the tribune, so everything was derived from their sacrosanctity.

One obvious consequence of this sacrosanctity was the fact that it was considered a capital offense to harm a tribune, to disregard his veto, or to interfere with him in any way. If a magistrate, an assembly or the senate did not comply with the orders of a tribune, the tribune could “interpose the sacrosanctity of his person” (intercessio) to physically stop that particular action. Any resistance against the tribune was tantamount to a violation of his sacrosanctity, and thus was considered a capital offense.

Their lack of magisterial powers made them independent of all other magistrates, which also meant that no magistrate could veto a tribune. Tribunes, the only true representatives of the people, had the authority to enforce the right of provocatio ad populum, which was a theoretical guarantee of due process, and a precursor to the common law concept of habeas corpus. If a magistrate was threatening to take action against a citizen, that citizen could yell "ego te provoco!", which would appeal against the magistrate's decision to a tribune.

Time went by and more and more wars were fought, more and more territory acquired, but still Rome was “The City” and operated its government of an ever-expanding empire as if it were still, and only a city-state. And when the plebeians began to be severely reduced in numbers and financial security because of the endless wars, all the better for the oligarchy! The growing number of slaves and the influx of the poor swelled the population that was “outside” the political world, but very much affected by what the patricians did.

As wealth increased thanks to wars and plunder, nearly all of it going to the patricians, the main activity became vying for political position in order to acquire more and more wealth. The magistracy of the empire and the spoils of victory went to the senators, the consuls, the praetors, the quaestors, the censors and their wives. Only one standard decided the merit of a candidate or the innocence of a defendant in the courts: gold.

The government was in the hands of a few opulent families of the world of finance, supported by the military junta. These families knew how to protect their interests: they disguised them as national necessities. The preservation of Rome was identified with that of the ruling families. "The Roman people consisted of a small oligarchy of landowners, bankers, speculators, merchants, artisans, adventurers, and tatterdemalions, avid for pleasure, excitement, and sudden gain, proud, turbulent, corrupted by the life of the city, and placing their own interests ahead of even the most salutary reform . . ."

When you read Roman history carefully, read about the debates in the Senate, the laws passed, overturned, passed again, and on and on, you come to realize that the so-called “national honor of Rome was little more than the caprices or the indignation of the rulers of the moment, its political institutions no more than the cupidity of its dignitaries and the indolence of its masses, its history nothing more than a series of petty larcenies and more important crimes.

NEW MEN

Novus homo was the term in ancient Rome for a man who was the first in his family to serve in the Roman Senate or, more specifically, to be elected as consul. In the Early Republic, both Senate membership and the consulship were restricted to patricians. When plebeians gained the right to this office during the Conflict of the Orders, all newly elected plebeians were naturally novi homines. With time, novi homines became progressively rarer as some plebeian families became as entrenched in the Senate as their patrician colleagues. By the time of the First Punic War, it was already a sensation that novi homines were elected in two consecutive years (Gaius Fundanius Fundulus in 243 BC and Gaius Lutatius Catulus in 242 BC). In 63 BC, Cicero became the first novus homo in more than thirty years. The Roman figure most often cited as an exemplum is Gaius Marius, whose speech of self-justification was included in Sallust's Bellum Iugurthinum.

THE GRACCHI

And then the Gracchus brothers, grandsons of Scipio Africanus, the great hero who defeated Hannibal, appeared on the scene. The elder brother, Tiberius (162 BC-133 BC)was a veteran of the Spanish campaign before he was elected a tribune. His fortitude, his temperance, his humanity, his passion for justice drove him to work for Italy, for the people, and for liberty. He would not be stopped by intimidation or threats.

On Rogation Day, he addressed the people. A fragment of this speech, in which he evoked the misery and the helplessness of the people, the depopulation of Italy and the rapacity of the wealthy, has been preserved:

The wild beasts that roam over Italy have every one of them a cave or lair to lurk in; but the men who fight and die for Italy enjoy the common air and light, indeed, but nothing else; houseless and homeless they wander about with their wives and children. And it is with lying lips that their imperators exhort the soldiers in their battles to defend sepulchers and shrines from the enemy; for not a man of them as an hereditary altar, not one of all these many Romans an ancestral tomb, but they fight and die to support others in wealth and luxury and though they are styled masters of the world, they have not a single clod of earth that is their own.

Notice the mention of the thing that made the “rabble” rabble: they had no ancestors and that was the peculiar Roman religion I mentioned above, that prevented those who did not have an “ancestry” that could genealogically connect them to “the gods” from being Roman citizens.

The reaction of the optimates to Tiberius was typical of oligarchies in all times and places:

"The landowners in mourning dress appeared on the Forum in the most wretched and humble condition in order to move the people whom they despoiled so mercilessly to pity. But they had little confidence in this demonstration, and they hired assassins to kill Tiberius . . ."

Tiberius, nevertheless, proceeded with his reforms. One of his laws authorized the people to circulate freely on the roads and highways. Another stipulated that the treasure of Attala, who had made the Roman people his heir, would be distributed among the citizens. Other laws distributed lands, subsidized the cost of the first planting, decreased the length of military service, and reorganized the judiciary. Henceforth, no Roman citizen could own more than 750 acres of public land for himself and 375 for each of his sons. This law threatened the owners of the largest estates which was about all of the patricians.

In his speeches Tiberius declared that the will of the people was the supreme authority of the state. This was too much. On the day of his re-election to the tribunate, which would have enabled Tiberius to complete his reforms, Scipio Nasica, one of the richest of the landowners, pontifex maximus, and cousin to Tiberius assembled all of the wealthy Romans. Followed by an army of slaves and clients, they climbed to the Capitol. One of Tiberius' colleagues, a tribune, dealt him the first blow. Other assassins finished the job. His body was profaned and thrown into the Tiber.

Scipio Nasica had gathered the senators to Gracchus’ bloody death claiming that the tribune desired to become king of Rome. To commit the assassination Scipio Nasica covered his head with the hood of his pontifex maximus robe which possibly denoted the killing as a ritualized sacrifice for the good of Rome. After his assassination, Scipio would lead a witch hunt to eradicate any surviving members of Gracchus’ supporters.

After centuries of law and order (alleged in the histories, but not proven necessarily), in 133 BC, the Empire watched with stupefaction as the violence of a faction that had taken the law into its own hands not only went unpunished, but was admired – at least by all the other wealthy elite and they were, in fact, the ones in charge of writing and preserving history, so we have highly biased accounts.

Gaius Gracchus (152-121 BC), eight years younger than his brother, appeared to accept his death and to be unaware of the identities of his assassins. He was appointed quaestor of Sardinia and, against the wishes of the Senate, he did not disappear from view. He lived the life of his soldiers and looked after their interests. He liked long marches and took long, lonely swims in the sea, and he remained chaste.

He gave great pains to the study of eloquence, as wings upon which he might aspire to public business; and it was very apparent that he did not intend to pass his days in obscurity. When Vettius, a friend of his, was on his trial, he defended his cause, and the people were in an ecstasy, and transported with joy, finding him master of such eloquence that the other orators seemed like children in comparison, and jealousies and fears on the other hand began to be felt by the powerful citizens; and it was generally spoken of amongst them that they must hinder Caius from being made tribune.

…yet it is certain that he was borne rather by a sort of necessity than by any purpose of his own into public business. And Cicero, the orator, relates, that when he declined all such concerns, and would have lived privately, his brother appeared to him in a dream, and calling him by his name, said, "Why do you tarry, Caius? There is no escape; one life and one death is appointed for us both, to spend the one and to meet the other in the service of the people." …

he now at once came forward to ask for the tribuneship; in which, though he was universally opposed by all persons of distinction, yet there came such infinite numbers of people from all parts of Italy to vote for Caius, that lodgings for them could not be supplied in the city; and the Field being not large enough to contain the assembly, there were numbers who climbed upon the roofs and the tilings of the houses to use their voices in his favour. However, the nobility so far forced the people to their pleasure and disappointed Caius's hope, that he was not returned the first, as was expected, but the fourth tribune. But when he came to the execution of his office, it was seen presently who was really first tribune, as he was a better orator than any of his contemporaries, and the passion with which he still lamented his brother's death made him the bolder in speaking. He used on all occasions to remind the people of what had happened in that tumult, and laid before them the examples of their ancestors, how they declared war against the Faliscans, only for giving scurrilous language to one Genucius, a tribune of the people; and sentenced Caius Veturius to death, for refusing to give way in the forum to a tribune; "Whereas," said he, "these men did, in the presence of you all, murder Tiberius with clubs, and dragged the slaughtered body through the middle of the city, to be cast into the river. Even his friends, as many as could be taken, were put to death immediately, without any trial, notwithstanding that just and ancient custom, which has always been observed in our city, that whenever any one is accused of a capital crime, and does not make his personal appearance in court, a trumpeter is sent in the morning to his lodging, to summon him by sound of trumpet to appear; and before this ceremony is performed, the judges do not proceed to the vote; so cautious and reserved were our ancestors about business of life and death."

Of the laws which he now proposed, with the object of gratifying the people and abridging the power of the senate, the first was concerning the public lands, which were to be divided amongst the poor citizens; another was concerning the common soldiers, that they should be clothed at the public charge, without any diminution of their pay, and that none should be obliged to serve in the army who was not full seventeen years old; another gave the same right to all the Italians in general, of voting at elections, as was enjoyed by the citizens of Rome; a fourth related to the price of corn, which was to be sold at a lower rate than formerly to the poor; and a fifth regulated the courts of justice, greatly reducing the power of the senators. For hitherto, in all causes, senators only sat as judges, and were therefore much dreaded by the Roman knights and the people. But Caius joined three hundred ordinary citizens of equestrian rank with the senators, who were three hundred likewise in number, and ordained that the judicial authority should be equally invested in the six hundred. While he was arguing for the ratification of this law, his behaviour was observed to show in many respects unusual earnestness, and whereas other popular leaders had always hitherto, when speaking, turned their faces towards the senate-house, and the place called the comitium, he, on the contrary, was the first man that in his harangue to the people turned himself the other way, towards them, and continued after that time to do so. An insignificant movement and change of posture, yet it marked no small revolution in state affairs, the conversion, in a manner, of the whole government from an aristocracy to a democracy, his action intimating that public speakers should address themselves to the people, not the senate.

When the commonalty ratified this law, and gave him power to select those of the knights whom he approved of, to be judges, he was invested with a sort of a kingly power, and the senate itself submitted to receive his advice in matters of difficulty; nor did he advise anything that might derogate from the honour of that body. As, for example, his resolution about the corn which Fabius the propraetor sent from Spain, was very just and honourable; for he persuaded the senate to sell the corn, and return the money to the same provinces which had furnished them with it; and also that Fabius should be censured for rendering the Roman government odious and insupportable. This got him extraordinary respect and favour among the provinces. Besides all this, he proposed measures for the colonization of several cities, for making roads, and for building public granaries; of all which works he himself undertook the management and superintendence, and was never wanting to give necessary orders for the despatch of all these different and great undertakings; and that with such wonderful expedition and diligence, as if he had been but engaged upon one of them; insomuch that all persons, even those who hated or feared him, stood amazed to see what a capacity he had for effecting and completing all he undertook.

Rome would be the capital of a vast Italic nation. No longer would the Empire be founded on a municipal oligarchy allied with the corrupt merchants, but on rival classes working in partnership. The former centers of civilization and commerce, now destroyed or declined, would be restored, and the wealth and the multitudes that poured into Rome, threatening to choke the nerve-center of the Empire, would be distributed evenly throughout the different lands.

It was the historic task of Rome that Gaius had in mind, but he thought he could accomplish alone what it was to take generations to achieve. His grandiose ideas were too premature. His plan to accord the rights of a Roman citizen to all Italians pleased neither the nobility nor the little people.

The Senate decided that things had gone far enough. They brought out their biggest weapon: The SCU – Senatus consultum ultimum more properly senatus consultum de re publica defendenda ("Decree of the Senate on defending the Republic"). The form was usually consules darent operam ne quid detrimenti res publica caperet or videant consules ne res publica detrimenti capiat ("let the consuls see to it that the state suffer no harm"). It was first passed against Gaius Gracchus in 121 BC. The SCU effectively replaced the disused dictatorship, by removing limitations on the magistrates' powers to preserve the State. This act was loaded with implicit controversy since, due to its brevity, it did make its parameters clear: just how far-reaching were the powers given to the consul? Did those powers override normal protections and liberties of citizenship. These are the issues that came to a head during the Catilinarian Conspiracy, as we will see further on.

The senators, after some time, withdrew, and presently ordered that Opimius, the consul, should be invested with extraordinary power to protect the commonwealth and suppress all tyrants. This being decreed, he presently commanded the senators to arm themselves, and the Roman knights to be in readiness very early the next morning, and every one of them to be attended with two servants well armed Fulvius, on the other side, made his preparations and collected the populace. Caius at that time returning from the market-place, made a stop just before his father's statue, and fixing his eyes for some time upon it, remained in a deep contemplation; at length he sighed, shed tears, and departed. This made no small impression upon those who saw it, and they began to upbraid themselves that they should desert and betray so worthy a man as Caius. They therefore went directly to his house, remaining there as a guard about it all night…

Caius could not be persuaded to arm himself, but put on his gown, as if he had been going to the assembly of the people, only with this difference, that under it he had then a short dagger by his side. As he was going out, his wife came running to him at the gate, holding him with one hand, and with the other a young child of his. She bespoke him: "Alas, Caius, I do not now part with you to let you address the people either as a tribune or a lawgiver, nor as if you were going to some honourable war, when, though you might perhaps have encountered that fate which all must some time or other submit to, yet you had left me this mitigation of my sorrow, that my mourning was respected and honoured. You go now to expose your person to the murderers of Tiberius, unarmed indeed, and rightly so, choosing rather to suffer the worst of injuries than do the least yourself. But even your very death at this time will not be serviceable to the public good. Faction prevails; power and arms are now the only measures of justice. Had your brother fallen before Numantia, the enemy would have given back what then had remained of Tiberius; but such is my hard fate, that I probably must be an humble suppliant to the floods or the waves, that they would somewhere restore to me your relics; for since Tiberius was not spared, what trust can we place either on the laws, or in the Gods?" Licinia, thus bewailing, Caius, by degrees getting loose from her embraces, silently withdrew himself, being accompanied by his friends; she, endeavouring to catch him by the gown, fell prostrate upon the earth, lying there for some time speechless. Her servants took her up for dead, and conveyed her to her brother Crassus.

Fulvius, when the people were gathered together in a full body, by the advice of Caius sent his youngest son into the market-place, with a herald's rod in his hand. He, being a very handsome youth, and modestly addressing himself, with tears in his eyes and a becoming bashfulness, offered proposals of agreement to the consul and the whole senate.
The greatest part of the assembly were inclinable to accept of the proposals; but Opimius said, that it did not become them to send messengers and capitulate with the senate, but to surrender at discretion to the laws, like loyal citizens, and endeavour to merit their pardon by submission. He commanded the youth not to return, unless they would comply with these conditions.

Caius, as it is reported, was very forward to go and clear himself before the senate; but none of his friends consenting to it, Fulvius sent his son a second time to intercede for them, as before. But Opimius, who was resolved that a battle should ensue, caused the youth to be apprehended and committed into custody; and then with a company of his foot-soldiers and some Cretan archers set upon the party under Fulvius. These archers did such execution, and inflicted so many wounds, that a rout and flight quickly ensued. Fulvius fled into an obscure bathing-house; but shortly after being discovered, he and his eldest son were slain together.

Caius was not observed to use any violence against any one; but extremely disliking all these outrages, retired to Diana's temple. There he attempted to kill himself, but was hindered by his faithful friends, Pomponius and Licinius; they took his sword away from him, and were very urgent that he would endeavour to make his escape. It is reported that, falling upon his knee and lifting up his hands, he prayed the goddess that the Roman people, as a punishment for their ingratitude and treachery, might always remain in slavery. For as soon as a proclamation was made of a pardon, the greater part openly deserted him.

Caius, therefore, endeavoured now to make his escape, but was pursued so close by his enemies, as far as the wooden bridge, that from thence he narrowly escaped. There his two trusty friends begged of him to preserve his own person by flight, whilst they in the meantime would keep their post, and maintain the passage; neither could their enemies, until they were both slain, pass the bridge. Caius had no other companion in his flight but one Philocrates, a servant of his. As he ran along, everybody encouraged him, and wished him success, as standers-by may do to those who are engaged in a race, but nobody either lent him any assistance, or would furnish him with a horse, though he asked for one; for his enemies had gained ground, and got very near him. However, he had still time enough to hide himself in a little grove, consecrated to the Furies. In that place, his servant Philocrates having first slain him, presently afterwards killed himself also, and fell dead upon his master. Though some affirm it for a truth, that they were both taken alive by their enemies, and that Philocrates embraced his master so close, that they could not wound Caius until his servant was slain.

They say that when Caius's head was cut off, and carried away by one of his murderers, Septimuleius, Opimius's friend, met him, and forced it from him; because, before the battle began, they had made proclamation, that whoever should bring the head either of Caius or Fulvius, should, as a reward, receive its weight in gold. Septimuleius, therefore, having fixed Caius's head upon the top of his spear, came and presented it to Opimius. They presently brought the scales, and it was found to weigh above seventeen pounds. But in this affair, Septimuleius gave as great signs of his knavery as he had done before of his cruelty; for having taken out the brains, he had filled the skull with lead. There were others who brought the head of Fulvius, too, but, being mean, inconsiderable persons, were turned away without the promised reward. The bodies of these two persons, as well as of the rest who were slain, to the number of three thousand men, were all thrown into the river; their goods were confiscated, and their widows forbidden to put themselves into mourning. They dealt even more severely with Licinia, Caius's wife, and deprived her even of her jointure; and as in addition still to all their inhumanity, they barbarously murdered Fulvius's youngest son; his only crime being, not that he took up arms against them, or that he was present in the battle, but merely that he had come with articles of agreement; for this he was first imprisoned, then slain.

But that which angered the common people most was, that at this time, in memory of his success, Opimius built the Temple of Concord, as if he gloried and triumphed in the slaughter of so many citizens. Somebody in the night time, under the inscription of the temple added this verse:-

"Folly and Discord Concord's temple built."

Yet this Opimius, the first who, being consul, presumed to usurp the power of a dictator, condemning, without any trial, with three thousand other citizens, Caius Gracchus and Fulvius Flaccus, one of whom had triumphed and been consul, the other far excelled all his contemporaries in virtue and honour … the people; who, though humble, and affrighted at the time, did not fail before long to let everybody see what respect and veneration they had for the memory of the Gracchi. They ordered their statues to be made and set up in public view; they consecrated the places where they were slain, and thither brought the first-fruits of everything, according to the season of the year, to make their offerings. Many came likewise thither to their devotions, and daily worshipped there, as at the temple of the gods.

Sixteen centuries later, Machiavelli wrote that "men forget the death of their father more easily than the loss of their patrimony, and they hesitate less to harm a man who is loved than another who is feared."

The Gracchus brothers were not forgotten by the Roman people. Statues were erected in their memory, and a cult was founded in their honor.

All of the Gracchian agrarian reforms had been premised on the traditional Roman levy, which excluded from service those whose property qualification fell below the minimum property qualification for the fifth census class. The Gracchi had tried to restore the smallholders who would constitute the majority of those qualified to serve.

The end of the Gracchian land legislation did nothing to change the military crisis that gave rise to that legislation. It seems that the minimum qualification for the fifth census class was lowered from 11,000 to 3000 sesterces of property, and by109 BC the consuls sought suspension of Gaius Gracchus' restrictions on the levy.

GAIUS MARIUS

Gaius Marius was a Roman general and statesman who rose from the ranks in the army due his extraordinary abilities which, prior to the time when Rome had killed off most of their citizens in endless wars, would not have been possible. He held the office of consul an unprecedented seven times during his career and married Julia, the aunt of Julius Caesar. The Julii Caesares were an ancient patrician family, but at this period had not produced any members that advanced beyond praetor since 157 BC. Obviously, Marius had achieved political and financial influence and/or the Julii Caesares had a changing perspective on things.

Marius was particularly noted for his important reforms of Roman armies. He saw the dire need for an increase in troop numbers. Until this time, the standard requirements to become a Roman soldier were very strict. To be considered a soldier in the service of the republic, an individual was required to be a citizen, own a certain amount of land, have a certain amount of money in the “bank” and provide his own arms and uniform for combat. In 107 BC, Marius relaxed the recruitment policies by removing the necessity to own land, and allowed all Roman residents entry, regardless of social class. The benefits to the army were numerous, with the unemployed masses enlisting for military service alongside the more fortunate citizens. Poorer citizens were drawn to lifelong service, as they were rewarded with the prospect of settlement in conquered land that had been divested of its citizens, most of whom were taken to the slave markets. This served to “Romanize” the population in new provinces. From now on Rome's legions would largely consist of poor citizens whose future after service could only be assured if their general could somehow bring about a land distribution on their behalf. Thus the soldiers had a very strong personal interest in supporting their general against the Senate and the "public interest" that was often equated with the Senate. Marius did not avail himself of this potential source of support. Marius was probably unaware of the implications of his reforms and how they would destroy the Republic and how they would, in the wrong hands, create an Empire. In less than two decades Marius' ex-quaestor Sulla would use it against the Senate and Marius.

SATURNINUS

Saturninus was a political ally of Marius. At one point, Marius entered into a compact with Saturninus and his ally Gaius Servillius Glaucia, forming a sort of triumvirate with the backing of Marius’ veterans and the masses of common people. They wanted to pass an agrarian law giving land to army veterans and the poor as well as extending the citizenship franchise to other Italians. Gaius Memmius, a candidate for the consulship, was beaten to death by the hired agents of Saturninus and Glaucia, while the voting was actually going on.

The Senate met on the following day, declared Saturninus and Glaucia public enemies, and called upon Marius to defend the State. Saturninus, defeated in a pitched battle in the Roman Forum, took refuge with his followers in the Capitol, where, the water supply having been cut off, they were forced to capitulate. Marius assured them that their lives would be spared and placed them in the Curia Hostilia, intending to proceed against them according to law. But members of the aristocratic party (i.e. senators) climbed onto the roof, stripped off the tiles, and stoned Saturninus and many others to death. Glaucia, who had escaped into a house, was dragged out and killed. This caused a great deal of political embarrassment for Marius, who absented himself from public life until he returned to take up a command in the Social War of 91 to 88 BC.

DRUSUS AND THE SOCIAL WAR

Roman victory in the Samnite wars resulted in effective Roman dominance of the Italian peninsula. This dominance was expressed in a collection of alliances between Rome and the cities and communities of Italy, on more or less favorable terms depending on whether a given city had voluntarily allied with Rome or been defeated in war. These cities were theoretically independent, but in practice Rome had the right to demand from them tribute money and a certain number of soldiers: by the 2nd century BC the Italian allies contributed between one half and two-thirds of the soldiers in Roman armies. Rome also had virtual control over the allies' foreign policy, including their interaction with one another.

The Romans' policy of land distribution had led to great inequality of land-ownership and wealth. This led to the "Italic people declining little by little into pauperism and paucity of numbers without any hope of remedy."

A number of political proposals had attempted to address the growing discrepancy whereby Italians made a significant contribution to Roman's military force, while receiving disproportionately small shares of land and citizenship rights.

In 91 BC Marcus Livius Drusus was elected tribune and proposed a greater division of state lands, the enlargement of the Senate, and a conferral of Roman citizenship upon all freemen of Italy. His program was presented as a plan to strengthen senatorial domination but that seems to have been a ruse. To gain support of the plebeians, he set up a commission to grant them more land, both around Rome and in new colonies (which was one of only two that was approved by the Senate during the late republic) and reduced the price of grain which he proposed to pay for by using devaluation of the currency. Everything was fine and good up to this point. However, when he wanted to grant citizenship to the Italian allies, he lost the support of the senate, the equestrians, and all others who held Roman citizenship. Citizenship was only for those who had “ancestors” (specifically, Roman). When it was revealed that the whole of non Roman Italy had sworn an oath to enter into his clientele if he managed to enfranchise them which would have given Drusus enormous power, things went rapidly South. He was soon assassinated and the Italian allies revolted starting what was called the Social War 91–88 BC. Marius took command (following the deaths of the consul, Publius Rutilius Lupus, and the praetor Quintus Servilius Caepio) and fought along with Sulla against the rebel cities, but retired from the war in its early stages – probably due to poor health (it has been suggested that he suffered a stroke.)

The Social War was bloody and destructive over all of Italy. The Romans actually almost lost. Their hides were saved by Lucius Julius Caesar who proposed the Lex Julia during his consulship which he carried before his office ended. The law offered full citizenship to all Latin and Italian communities who had not revolted. The law offered the option of citizenship to whole communities and not to individuals. This meant that each individual community had to pass the law, most likely by a vote in assembly, before it could take effect. It was also possible under the Lex Julia for citizenship to be granted as a reward for distinguished military service in the field.

It is assumed that the Lex Julia was closely followed by a supplementary statute, the Lex Plautia Papiria, which stated that a registered male of an allied state could obtain Roman citizenship by presenting himself to a Roman praetor within 60 days of the passing of the law. This statute enabled inhabitants of towns disqualified by the Lex Julia to apply for citizenship if they desired.

Roman citizenship and the right to vote was limited, as always in the ancient world, by the requirement of physical appearance on voting day. After 8 BC, candidates regularly paid the expenses (at least partially) for their supporters to travel to Rome in order to vote.

THE MITHRIDATIC WAR

After the Social War, King Mithridates of Pontus began his bid to collect allies in the Eastern provinces in a large scale rebellion against Rome. In 88 BC, Lucius Cornelius Sulla was elected consul. The choice before the Senate was to put either Marius or Sulla in command of an army which would aid Rome's Greek allies and defeat Mithridates. The Senate chose Sulla, but soon the Assembly appointed Marius. In this unsavory episode of low politics, he was helped by the unscrupulous actions of Publius Sulpicius Rufus, whose debts Marius had promised to erase. Sulla refused to acknowledge the validity of the Assembly's action.

Sulla left Rome and traveled to the army waiting in Nola, the army that the Senate had asked him to lead against Mithridates. Sulla urged his legions to defy the Assembly's orders and accept him as their rightful leader. Sulla was successful and the legions stoned the representatives from the Assembly. Sulla then commanded six legions to march with him to Rome and institute a civil war. This was a momentous event, and was unforeseen by Marius, as no Roman army had ever marched upon Rome—it was forbidden by law and ancient tradition.

Once it became obvious that Sulla was going to defy the law and seize Rome by force, Marius attempted to organize a defense of the city using gladiators. Unsurprisingly Marius' ad-hoc force was no match for Sulla's legions. Marius was defeated and fled Rome. Marius narrowly escaped capture and death on several occasions and eventually found safety in Africa. Sulla and his supporters in the Senate passed a death sentence on Marius, Sulpicius and a few other allies of Marius. A few men were executed but (according to Plutarch), many Romans disapproved of Sulla's actions; some who opposed Sulla were actually elected to office in 87 BC. (Gnaeus Octavius, a supporter of Sulla, and Lucius Cornelius Cinna, a supporter of Marius, were elected consul). Regardless, Sulla was confirmed again as the commander of the campaign against Mithridates, so he took his legions out of Rome and marched east to the war.

While Sulla was on campaign in Greece, fighting broke out between the conservative supporters of Sulla, led by Octavius, and the popular supporters of Cinna. Marius along with his son then returned from exile in Africa with an army he had raised there and combined with Cinna to oust Octavius. This time it was the army of Marius that entered Rome.

Some of the soldiers went through Rome killing the leading supporters of Sulla, including Octavius. Their heads were exhibited in the Forum. All told some dozen Roman nobles had been murdered. The Senate passed a law exiling Sulla, and Marius was appointed the new commander in the eastern war. Cinna was chosen for his third consulship and Marius to his seventh consulship. After five days, Cinna and the populares general Quintus Sertorius ordered their more disciplined troops to kill the rampaging soldiers. Marius died just seventeen days into his seventh consulship.

SULLA

The Marian reforms to the legions, recruiting among un-propertied urban citizens, was a pivotal step leading in short order to the collapse of the Republic. Marius set the precedent of recruiting among the poor and then granting these veterans land upon the conclusion of the campaign. Thus the legions became more loyal to their generals than to the state. The loyalty of such legions is what allowed Marius himself, Sulla, and about 40 years later Marius' nephew Julius Caesar to march on Rome itself.

In addition to their political aims, the optimates opposed the extension of Roman citizenship, and sought the preservation of the mos maiorum, the ways of their forefathers – meaning, specifically, their own families, not the “forefathers of all people in general.” They opposed Marius' plan to enlist impoverished Romans, too poor to provide their own arms and supplies in the legions, and the generals' attempts to settle these veterans on state-owned land. The optimates' cause reached its peak under the dictatorship of Lucius Cornelius Sulla. During his reign, the Assemblies were stripped of nearly all power, the Senate membership was raised from 300 to 600, an equally large number of populares were executed via proscription lists and thousands of soldiers were settled in northern Italy.

Sulla, a Patrician, had personally experienced the power of the tribunes when Marius' Tribune had revoked Sulla's authorization to take command of the war against Mithridates. Sulla decided to deprive the Tribunate of power and prestige. From the patrician point of view, the Tribunate was especially dangerous, which was increasingly in evidence. The reforms of the Gracchi Tribunes were one example of its radicalization, but by no means were they the only such examples. Over the past three-hundred years, the Tribunes had been the officers most responsible for the loss of power by the aristocracy. Since the Tribunate was the principal means through which the democracy of Rome had always asserted itself against the aristocracy, it was of paramount importance to Sulla that he cripple the office. As a result of his “constitutional reforms” to the Plebeian Council, Tribunes lost the power to initiate legislation. Sulla then prohibited ex-Tribunes from ever holding any other office, so ambitious individuals would no longer seek election to the Tribunate, since such an election would end their political career. Lastly, Sulla revoked the power of the Tribunes to veto acts of the senate. This reform was of dubious constitutionality at best, and was outright sacrilegious at worst considering the long history of the sanctity of the Tribunes. And so it was, at this particular point in time, the Tribunes, and thus the People of Rome, were effectively powerless.

SERTORIUS

Quintus Sertorius (c. 126 BC – 73 BC) acquired some fame in Rome as a jurist and an orator. He then went on to a military career. He served under Quintus Servilius Caepio at the Battle of Arausio, that terrible event when the Cimbri and the Teuton destroyed two Roman armies almost to a man. The losses were said to be 80,000 troops, 40,000 auxiliary troops (allies) and all their servants and camp followers which could amount to another 40,000 individuals. The catastrophic scale of the loss induced the Romans to set aside the legal constraints, that no man could be consul a second time until ten years had passed since his first consulship: Gaius Marius was immediately proposed (in his absence) and elected as consul, only three years after his first consulship, and then for a further four successive years after that.

In any event, apparently Sertorius was one of the handful of men who escaped and survived. He next served under Marius in 102 BC, spying on the wandering German tribes that had defeated Caepio. After this success, he fought at the great Battle of Aquae Sextiae (now Aix-en-Provence, France) in which the Teutones were decisively defeated. In 97 BC, he served in Hispania as a military tribune

In 91 he was quaestor in Cisalpine Gaul, where he was in charge of recruiting and training legions for the Social War. (He supposedly lost an eye at this time.) He returned to Rome and ran for tribune, but Sulla thwarted his efforts, causing Sertorius to oppose him.

After Sulla forced Marius into exile, and Sulla left Rome to fight Mithridates, violence erupted between the Optimates, led by the consul Gnaeus Octavius, and the Populares, led by the consul Lucius Cornelius Cinna. Sertorius now declared for Cinna and the Populares. Sertorius abstained from the proscriptions his fellow commanders engaged in. Sertorius went so far as to rebuke Marius, and persuade Cinna to moderation, while annihilating Marius' slave army that had participated in his atrocities.

On Sulla's return from the East in 83, and following the subsequent collapse of the Populares power, Sertorius retreated to Hispania as proconsul, representing the Populares. The Roman officials in Hispania did not recognize his authority, but Sertorius – with an army at his back - assumed control anyway. There was some battling and to-ing and fro-ing and Sertorius withdrew to North Africa where more battles went on in Mauretania; he defeated one of Sulla's generals and captured Tingis (Tangier).

Sertorius’ North Africa success made him famous in Spain and Lusitania (now Portugal) which had been seriously oppressed and plundered by the Roman generals and proconsuls of Sulla's party. The Lusitanians invited Sertorius to be their general, and from there he began conquering the neighbouring territories of Hispania (modern Spain). His skill as a general was extraordinary; he repeatedly defeated forces many times his own size. Many Roman refugees and deserters joined him, and with these and his Hispanian volunteers he regularly defeated Sulla's generals.

Sertorius owed some of his success to his abilities as a statesman. He was brave, noble, and gifted with eloquence. His goal was to build a stable government in Hispania with the consent and co-operation of the people.. He established a senate of 300 members and provided a school for the children of the chief native families where they received a Roman education and even adopted the dress and education of Roman youths.

Although he was strict and severe with his soldiers, he was particularly considerate to the people in general, and made their burdens as light as possible. It seems clear that he had a peculiar gift for evoking the enthusiasm of the native tribes; he used a famous white fawn, a present from one of the natives, that was supposed to communicate to him the advice of the goddess Diana.

For six years he held sway over Hispania being joined by many Roman nobles and even entire Roman armies. Pompey was sent to help Metellus conquer Hispania and finish Sertorius off. Contemptuously calling Pompey Sulla's pupil, Sertorius proved himself more than a match for his adversaries: at one point, he almost captured the great Pompey. Pompey wrote to Rome for reinforcements, without which, he said, he and Metellus Pius would be driven out of Hispania. After that, he began to gradually gain the upper hand and Sertorius, getting old and tired, began to lose his grip on things.

According to Plutarch, who has to be taken with a lot of salt, Sertorius was in league with the Cilician pirates and was negotiating with the formidable Mithridates VI of Pontus, and was in communication with the insurgent slaves in Italy! A veritable Axis of Evil! He was assassinated by Marcus Perpenna Vento at a banquet in 72 BC who then took over. At the time of Sertorius’ death, he was on the verge of successfully establishing an independent Roman republic in Hispania, which was destroyed by Pompey and Metellus.

SLAVE REBELLION

With all these wars going on, killing Romans by the tens of thousands, it is not surprising that tens if not hundreds of thousands of slaves at a time were imported into the Roman economy from various European and Mediterranean conflicts. While there was limited use for slaves as servants, craftsmen, and personal attendants, vast numbers of slaves were put to work in mines and on the agricultural lands.

Under Republican law, a slave was not considered a person, but property. Owners could abuse, injure or even kill their own slaves without legal consequence. This high concentration and oppressive treatment of the slave population led to rebellions. In 135 BC and 104 BC, the First and Second Servile Wars, respectively, erupted in Sicily, where small bands of rebels found tens of thousands of willing followers wishing to escape the oppressive life of a Roman slave. While these were considered serious civil disturbances by the Roman Senate, taking years and direct military intervention to quell, they were never considered a serious threat to the Republic. The Roman heartland of Italy had never seen a slave uprising, nor had slaves ever been seen as a potential threat to the city of Rome. This would all change with the Third Servile War.

A veritable horde of escaped slaves - originally a small band of about 78 primarily Thracian, Gallic and Germanic escaped gladiators which grew into a host of over 120,000 men, women and children—wandered throughout and raided Italy with relative impunity under the guidance of several leaders, including the famous gladiator-general Spartacus. The able-bodied adults of this band were a surprisingly effective armed force that repeatedly showed they could withstand the Roman military.

Rome finally fielded an army of eight legions under the harsh but effective leadership of Marcus Licinius Crassus which ended the war in 71 BC when the armies of Spartacus, after long and bitter fighting, retreating before the legions of Crassus, and realizing that the legions of Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (returning to Italy, having put down the rebellion of Quintus Sertorius in Hispania) and Marcus Terentius Varro Lucullus were moving in to entrap them, launched their full strength against Crassus' legions and were utterly destroyed.

Pompey and Crassus. The two generals used their success in putting down the rebellion to further their political careers, using their public acclaim and the implied threat of their legions to sway the consular elections of 70 BC in their favor.

Plutarch described the action as an attempt by Roman slaves to escape their masters and flee through Cisalpine Gaul, while Appian and Florus depicted the revolt as a civil war in which the slaves waged a campaign to capture the city of Rome itself.

OPTIMATES AND POPULARES

Just as there is today, in ancient Rome there was enormous disparity in wealth distribution and power which developed into a class war that brought about the end of the Republic despite Julius Caesar’s efforts to reform and save it. The two classes then were called Optimates, or boni (good men) and populares though, as we will see, there were significant aristocrats who had conscience and vision who took up the cause of the populares.

The optimates – the wealthy elite families - wished to limit the power of the popular assemblies and the Tribunes of the Plebs, and to extend the power of the Senate, which was viewed as more dedicated to the interests of the aristocrats who held the reins of power. The optimates favored the nobiles and opposed the ascension of novi homines into Roman politics.

A historian of the Late Republic cautions against understanding the terms populares and optimates as solid factions or as ideological groupings:

“Our chief contemporary witnesses to the political life of the late Republic, Cicero and Sallust, are fond of analyzing the political struggles of the period in terms of a distinction between optimates and populares, often appearing with slight variations in terminology, such as Senate, nobility, or boni versus People or plebs. But what precisely is denoted and connoted by this polarity? Clear enough, one who is designated in these sources as popularis was at least at that moment acting as 'the People's man,' that is a politician — for all practical purposes, a senator — advocating the rights and privileges of the People, implicitly in contrast to the leadership of the Senate; an 'optimate' (optimas), by contrast, was one upholding the special custodial and leadership role of the Senate, implicitly against the efforts of some popularis or other.

The polarity obviously corresponds with the dual sources of institutional power in the Republic — Senate and People — and was realized in practice through contrasting political methods … and distinctive types of rhetorico-ideological appeals suited to tapping those alternative sources of power … . It is important to realize that references to populares in the plural do not imply a co-ordinated 'party' with a distinctive ideological character, a kind of political grouping for which there is no evidence in Rome, but simply allude to a recognizable, if statistically quite rare, type of senator whose activities are scattered sporadically across late-Republic history … The 'life-long' popularis … was a new and worrying phenomenon at the time of Julius Caesar's consulship of 59: an underlying reason why the man inspired such profound fears.

Besides Sulla, notable optimates included Lucullus, Cato, Milo, Bibulus and Brutus. The populares included the Gracchi, Saturninus, Drusus, Sulpicius, Marius and a series of radical tribunes leading to Catiline, Clodius, and Caesar just to name a few.

So it was that, in the senate, the political battles were essentially between two types of oligarchs. One type recognized clearly that a society that is based on blatant inequities in wealth, privilege and power, breed conflict and trouble of all sorts. The other type believed, despite all experiences to the contrary, that the masters of power must stay the masters of power and any changes to that situation must be repressed at all costs. {There is actually more to it than that, but I get into that elsewhere; here I'm just trying to set the stage for Catiline.}

As noted above: in the early days of the Republic, the only men who could be members of the army were citizens who had a certain amount of money. This was because there was no real organized army and each soldier had to provide his own kit and you didn’t get paid, though you did get a share of booty if there was any. You had to have money to do that. It was said, in defense of this way of doing things, that only those who owned property could be trusted in the army to defend the state. The more money and property you had, the higher your rank in the army, more or less. In some cases, the smaller land holders borrowed from the rich aristocrats or moneylenders to get their kit for war together.

After a lot of wars, most of the citizens of the lower ranks in the army – the small land-holding foot soldiers – were dead, and the Republic was in a dire situation and needed soldiers, so it was decided to lower the standards and to admit freedmen and landless individuals. Obviously, that meant that somebody had to pay to kit them out in addition to giving them a share of booty. These new soldiers felt that, since they fought the wars for everyone else, they should also have a plot of land to come home to which proposal the aristocrats rejected entirely out of hand. At the same time, many of the small land holders had lost their farms to the aristocrats because, while fighting the wars, they were unable to pay off their loans. The aristocrats kept grabbing the land, and then putting slaves to work on it, so the increasing numbers of poor and landless individuals was literally created by the greed of the aristocrats. This is, ultimately, the central fulcrum point on which the collapse of the Republic teetered.

As to why the Roman Republic fought so many wars, it was purely and simply for plunder. Oh, of course, they created the ideology that Rome was a city ordained by the gods to bring peace and prosperity to all mankind (like exporting democracy). By the time of Caesar, there had been over two decades of internal massacres and upheaval in Italy and Rome itself.

The constant agitation for change to judicial and electoral fairness and equal distribution of land and wealth was perceived by the oligarchy as a constant conspiracy of the common people who were just “ungrateful” for the crumbs they received. They blamed the recurring uprisings and conspiracies and rebellions and “demagoguery” on “individuals” such as the “power-hungry” Pompey, the “greedy” Crassus , and the “unruly and demagogic” Caesar.

The aristocrats had a monopoly on patriotism – “you are either with us or against us” – and held the highest religious positions giving them direct communication with the gods; with their wealth, their political and military traditions enshrined in laws they made to further their own interests, their mafia-like relationships with their client-dependents, they maintained an uncompromising commitment to the status-quo: “me senator, you lowly serf.”

Another outstanding demagogue of the time who has been lionized by our culture was Cato, who prided himself on his fine Stoic sentiments of refusal to ever compromise or change his mind once it was made up. (I don’t know about you, but that really doesn’t sound very Stoic to me. Somebody has slipped a different definition in under that type of philosophy while we weren’t looking.) Cato rejected peremptorily any opinions that differed from his and confidently proclaimed over and over again how incorruptible he was. Now, that’s a demagogue for you! (Cato was the scion of a family of “new men”, by the way.)

CATILINA AND CICERO

What the aristocrats of the Senate were really afraid of was that someone would come along and attempt to redress the problems they refused to acknowledge or deal with and, sure enough, along came Lucius Sergius Catilina. Catilina was a member of an ancient, patrician family that had fallen into decline and he was determined to restore their wealth and influence. To do that, he needed to be elected to an annual consulship. Because, after you serve as consul, you are rewarded with the governorship of a province where you can go and steal all the stuff, tax the natives into oblivion, and basically just make like a pirate. So everyone was after a consulship followed by a governorship. A man could make such a fortune as governor that he could retire for the rest of his life and a few generations of his descendants as well, if they weren’t too wasteful. But there were only two consuls every year and the position was pretty much reserved to the aristocracy because you had to have a LOT of money to buy the votes. If there were some rich people who were not aristocrats who wanted some legislation that served a particular agenda of theirs, you might be financed in your vote buying in exchange for passing bills on their behalf (geeze, really does sound like politics in the US, doesn’t it?)

Catilina was apparently a magnetic and charismatic kind of guy who had attracted a lot of followers among the legions of commoners that were in debt and also including a large collection of other financially ruined aristocrats. The multi-millionaire, Crassus, decided to back Catilina’s bid for the consulship. For the entrenched aristocrats that ruled over the senate, this was a disaster because they had no candidate who had one tenth of the appeal of Catilina. The only person available who had anything like a following was the plebian Cicero. He was from a wealthy family and had been given a good education, but he was what the aristocrats called a “new man”. In over 300 years, no more than fifteen “new men” had ever been elected to the consulship – they were lucky if they advanced a single step in the hierarchy. Cicero was keenly aware of this and, six years earlier had written:

There is hardly one member of the old families who looks kindly on our activity; by no services that we render them can we capture their goodwill; they withhold from us their interest and sympathy as completely as if we and they were different breeds of men.

Cicero was no dummy. He saw the situation for what it was. He had spent three decades laboring through various political apprenticeships with members of the inner circle of the senate thanks to a family connection to the former consul and dictator, Marius, uncle to Julius Caesar. Thanks to his education and he was able to compete successfully with leading orators and had won the title of the “best orator in Rome”. It was clear that, in the beginning, he didn’t know which side his bread was going to be buttered on. He had alternated between maneuvering among elements of the commons and kissing backsides of influential oligarchs and, in this way, had managed to proceed through a series of magistracies to the point where, if he had any support at all, he would be eligible for the consulship and he saw that he was the only possible candidate that could beat Catilina – as did the senate oligarchs. So, Cicero had to do two things: rally his own support among those he had defended in the courts, his apprentice orators which included some young aristocrats, men of property whose backsides he had been kissing for years, AND the approval of that tiny clique within the senate who ran things.

In the six years that had passed since Cicero had been complaining about the attitudes of the nobles toward men of his class, the circumstances had turned in his favor. Sallust noted that:

Most of the nobles were consumed with jealousy and thought the office [of consul] in a way prostituted if a ‘new man’, however excellent, should obtain it. But when danger came, jealously and pride fell into the background.

As Kahn notes, oligarchies are always prepared to recruit leaders from outside their ranks to protect them from threats, whether external or from below.

But, oh dear! Cicero had a bit of a past that might make him look undesirable to them because he had shown some support for the commons at one point. Back in 65, Cicero had been desperate for allies and had offered to defend Catilina against charges of extortion. Cicero wrote in a letter at the time:

“We have the jury we want, with full cooperation from the prosecution. If he is acquitted, I hope he will be more inclined to work with me in the campaign [as a] loyal citizen, eager for the acquaintance of all the best men, and for a true and faithful friend.”

Nice, high sounding words, eh? Even in spite of the allusion to having bribed the prosecution. But Catilina was very proud; he wanted nothing to do with Cicero as a friend or as a campaign partner. So, Cicero forgot his characterization of Catilina as a magnetic person with “great vigor of mind and body” and only remembered his rejection.

IV: CONSUL

CICERO’S CAMPAIGN

Cicero called on his friend, Atticus (Titus Pomponius). Atticus was one of the wealthiest members of the equestrian class who was so disinterested in political life that he had acquired a reputation for fairness and generosity and was sought out for his advice on political matters by various men of influence.

Quintus Cicero, Cicero’s brother, quickly drafted a manual on “How to Win an Election” which summarized their private discussions about strategies about overcoming the “new man” handicap. Cicero would be mobilizing all his acquaintances and even his slaves to obtain endorsements of illustrious individuals. No potential vote could be ignored. He impressed the electorate by being constantly surrounded by a fawning crowd and he was to attend to all kinds of ingratiating details such as remembering names, occupations, displaying pleasing manners, being generous, probably kissing babies too. In short, it was all about image. Another angle was to send his friends to important people to lobby on his behalf, to persuade them that his political sympathies had grown up and had always been with the optimate senators. They were to explain that if he had ever displayed any “popular sympathies”, it was only a maneuver to attach Pompey to himself so as to have influence with him on behalf of the “good men” of the senate. Quintus emphasized that the senate must see Cicero as and upholder of its authority 100%, in short, dedicated to law and order. (Sound familiar?)

It was Atticus’ job to convince the aristocrats that Cicero’s true political tendencies were toward the optimates and their goals. If they brought up any of his lapses into popularism, he was to point out his other doings. For example, he was to quote that in the same year that Cicero had supported Pompey (who was always agitating for land reform to reward his soldiers), he had also said the following:

Never, I maintain, has a state offered so much as does ours, wherein if a man of humble birth shows in his life a character such as to support the high standing which rank confers, his advancement is dependent only on hard work and a blameless record.”

Obviously, the follow-up to this is that if a man fails to advance to wealth and power, he has only himself to blame. Contrast the above with what Cicero had written in a private letter about the hard-heartedness of the aristocrats. We see that Cicero has two distinct faces here.

In the campaign manual, Quintus concentrated on how to attack the other candidates, Catilina and Antonius. He was to denounce them as “two assassins from boyhood, both libertines, both paupers.” Antonius was “afraid of his own shadow” and unable to remember people’s names without a hired prompter. Catilina was a more serious threat so Quintus proposed that Cicero should play on the fears of the optimates by using Catilina’s indebtedness, willfulness and propensity to violence. He was to repeat as often as possible that Catilina was “born in his father’s beggary, bred in his sister’s debauchery, grown up in civil slaughter, his first entry into public life was a massacre of Roman knights [during the Sullan terror].”

The campaign did not proceed according to the wishes of the optimate senators or Cicero. Things must have been really bad for the masses of people to flock to Catilina in spite of Cicero’s demagoguery. The former was surrounded by crowds of followers whenever he entered the Forum and this scared the optimates. They recalled how radical tribunes had mounted demonstrations in previous years with packed assemblies of unhappy commoners as well as calling on collegia, organizations (club-type) of freedmen, slaves and the poor. These tribunes had proposed things like land redistribution, grain distribution to the starving, and, of all things, enfranchising others besides the wealthy elite or their wealthy clients!

So, the senate did what it did on many occasions: passed a reactionary bill. This is a funny thing about this much vaunted “democratic Roman Republic”. It didn’t have a written constitution and everything was done by “reaction”. They would claim constitutionality of this or that, but the instant it suited them, they changed the rules. It sounds absolutely crazy for a governing body to behave this way, to just willy-nilly make laws up on the spot, but that’s what they did. In this particular case, they passed a decree that all but a few “trustworthy” collegia were illegal and must be dissolved and never meet again. Then they passed a bill that limited the number of attendants a candidate could have in his entourage at any give time. I kid you not! They did dumb stuff like that! And is it any different from many of the laws that get passed today thanks to the fear of the PTB that the masses just might decide that they want a bigger piece of the economic pie?

Against these laws, Catilina and his sponsors, Crassus and Caesar, could do little. But, they had a tribune in office who vetoed a bill that was aimed at Catilina. As the tribune did so, he sneeringly told Cicero that he was unworthy of being consul. At this point, Cicero revealed his desperation to be accepted into the optimate club and more or less burned his populist bridge behind him. He denounced the tribune as an agent of a dark conspiracy and accusations of conspiracies became, at that moment, his stock-in-trade. It’s not known if this tactic was approved by his optimate advisors, but it is clear that, in Cicero’s mind, it was the solution. Having adopted the optimates as his new “home”, their thinking became his thinking with a voice. Anyone who threatened their hegemony, their security in their possessions and authority, literally threatened the state. And obviously, any such threat appearing in place after place, time after time, must be the product of a conspiracy. They couldn’t look at the reality and adduce that something really did need to be done or their entire system would collapse; they pulled on the blinders and refused to acknowledge that changes were needed.

Hmmm... Cicero was a lot like Obama, eh?

CICERO: CONSPIRACY THEORIST

So, having begun his campaign with outlandish innuendo and character defamation that developed into dark conspiracy, Cicero pushed this theme for his entire year as a consul and that is what led to the Catilinarian Conspiracy which should be renamed: the Ciceronian Conspiracy. In the atmosphere that prevailed in the senate at the time, the stubborn resistance to changes demanded by the discontented masses combined with the awareness that those masses could be dangerous to the health of the optimates, if someone yells “subversion!” or “conspiracy!” it’s going to anchor in their minds as the answer to problems. Such individuals cannot bear to acknowledge that there may be something wrong with the way they think or see things; they believe their own propaganda about the state being the greatest thing since time began and the overwhelming evidence of their vulnerability cannot be because the filthy rabble, the disgusting mob, has any legitimate complaint or even power; all the blame must go on individuals who are rabble rousers, demagogues, trouble-makers, jealous of their power and desiring to take it away from them.

At this point, Cicero was so taken by this idea that he decided to make immediate use of it. He made a speech in which he reported that the two other candidates had met the night before at the home of a distinguished, but unnamed nobleman, to pay huge sums for vote bribery agents. No one challenged him to reveal his sources. He then went the next step and “recalled” that this same candidate, i.e. Catiline, had been accused two years earlier of being involved in a conspiracy to murder the consuls elect. None of his listeners brought up the fact that one of the intended victims of the previous alleged plot, had been totally contemptuous of the charge and even offered to defend Catilina in a subsequent trial.

The suggestion was quite clear: Cicero was implying that Catilina was now involved in a new conspiracy along with powerful, unnamed nobles. This was the platform that Cicero used to mock, smear, and defame Caesar, Crassus, Antonius, and Catilina. He referred to the “New Marius” which everyone knew was Caesar, the “Sullan murderer” (Catiline), the victor over Spartacus (Crassus) supporting a bankrupt nobleman (Antonius) who had been heard to say that he would advocate a slave rebellion if he was ruined by his creditors. On he went: what about the threat to men of property from two bankrupts like Antonius and Catilina? Would they promote a cancellation of debts? What then? Land reform? New proscriptions and massacres? Civil War?

Against such a barrage of insinuation, speculation, ad-hominem demagoguery, there wasn’t much that Catiline or his backers could say or do. What good did it do for Catiline to point out that Cicero, the impassioned defender of the State, was a “new man”? Caesar couldn’t say much; an oligarch who derived most of his support from anti-senate elements could hardly prevail against the hysteria that was aroused by Cicero’s campaign against subversion and conspiracy.

Thanks to this last ditch assault on the popular cause that left no one in any doubt where Cicero’s sympathies lay, the optimate clique came to his support and with the maneuvers of Atticus, Cicero won. Antonius came in second, and Catilina was the loser by only a few votes.

During Cicero’s consulship, the conflict between the aristocrats who sought to organize the state fairly on behalf of all, and those who wanted the tiny clique at the top to have everything and nobody else to have anything, sharpened. It could even be said that Cicero hastened, or even caused, the death of the Republic. His consulship and what he did then was certainly the turning point when everything began to go downhill. He could have used his not inconsiderable powers of oratorical persuasion to help the popular cause to pass legislation that was fair and just. He could have used his skills to persuade not only those of his own class, but those of the senatorial class, of the value of changes that accommodate growth. Rome was no longer just a city-state, it had acquired an empire. It was time to see that this empire was run properly and fairly, to actually fulfill the claimed function of Rome, to bring justice and peace to the world.

But that’s not what Cicero did. He finally decided whose butter he wanted on his bread and which side he wanted it on. Meanwhile, this forced Caesar and the other supporters of popular changes to resort to other strategies to expose the actual goals of Cicero’s anti-subversive campaign and to provoke real debate about the real issues, not the false-flag issues run up by Cicero.

Back
Top Bottom