What's for Dinner?

Laura said:
Gertrudes said:
anart said:
Soooo - I suppose a zombie joke would be out of place...

:halo:

Well, you sort of did it ;D

Save me from having to...

I've tasted them but just can't get into it yet.

Yeah, me neither. Though to the South of where we live, brain sandwiches are considered a delicacy. I think in a soup i could do it. The one food I can't face to this day is liver.

I'm convinced now that my parents didn't know how to cook it without turning it into metallic tasting, dry, nastiness. The search for a decent liver recipe continues....

Gimpy said:
... Though to the South of where we live, brain sandwiches are considered a delicacy. I think in a soup i could do it. The one food I can't face to this day is liver.
I have tried eating liver, thought it smelled good, but I just can't get past the texture. Pate is tolerable and duck liver wasn't so bad, but I've always drawn the line at brain. In the Middle East, lamb brain sandwiches are quite easy to find...but I was too stubborn to even try it. I always thought of Hannibal Lecter, feeding that man his own brain in one of those Silence of the Lamb movies. Maybe one day I'll get past it and try it....

Lilou said:
I always thought of Hannibal Lecter, feeding that man his own brain in one of those Silence of the Lamb movies. Maybe one day I'll get past it and try it....

To be fair, Ray Liotta really seemed to enjoy eating sauteed brain in Hannibal... ;)

Lilou said:
Gimpy said:
... Though to the South of where we live, brain sandwiches are considered a delicacy. I think in a soup i could do it. The one food I can't face to this day is liver.
I have tried eating liver, thought it smelled good, but I just can't get past the texture. Pate is tolerable and duck liver wasn't so bad, but I've always drawn the line at brain. In the Middle East, lamb brain sandwiches are quite easy to find...but I was too stubborn to even try it. I always thought of Hannibal Lecter, feeding that man his own brain in one of those Silence of the Lamb movies. Maybe one day I'll get past it and try it....

We are managing to have liver every week or two. My housemate actually likes it, and I am starting to. It's a nice ritual -- we sit down to eat with one of our cats, Cassie, who likes it too. A little bizarre to watch, perhaps, but it works for us.

"Brains" are more than I can deal with at the moment, although I am not going to rule it out. But in a place where the only good liver we can find is frozen and shipped in, brains are not to be found anywhere.

Gimpy said:
The one food I can't face to this day is liver.

I'm convinced now that my parents didn't know how to cook it without turning it into metallic tasting, dry, nastiness. The search for a decent liver recipe continues....

If it's dry, you can try frying in a pan with some water in it so that it can soak up moisture - and also, add a whole lot of fat!

The way I did it the one time with a whole pig liver was to first bake it as-is in the oven - all of it - then cut it up, then freeze the pieces - and from time to time bring out a chunk to further cut up and fry per the above.

Was pretty good when had with some sea salt and combined with other meat.

A composite salad

I made my habitual salad and I weighed ingredients to see its capacity in carbohydrates.

Ingredients (in grammes): Cabbages red 180, orange pepper 82, stoned olive 37, raisins (dry) 15, beetroot 253, carrots 117, white onions 52, hazelnuts 26, brazilnuts 13, garlic 11, ginger 25, flax 10, sesame 10, salt 2, olive oil 64, vinegar of cider 86, turmeric in powder 4, cinnamon in powder 4, oils coconut 41.

Total: 888 g / total carbohydrates: 126,8 g about

I ate 306 g this evening with a box of sardines in the olive oil.

Re: A composite salad

Goemon_ said:
I made my habitual salad and I weighed ingredients to see its capacity in carbohydrates.

Ingredients (in grammes): Cabbages red 180, orange pepper 82, stoned olive 37, raisins (dry) 15, beetroot 253, carrots 117, white onions 52, hazelnuts 26, brazilnuts 13, garlic 11, ginger 25, flax 10, sesame 10, salt 2, olive oil 64, vinegar of cider 86, turmeric in powder 4, cinnamon in powder 4, oils coconut 41.

That's a lot of carbs! Most days I'm at 20 carbs or less - some days I'm under 40 carbs, but that's it. I feel better than I have my entire adult life.

To me it looks like his/her calculations must include the dietary fiber in the vegetables, at least from a quick glance it looks like the numbers are too high.

Re: A composite salad

anart said:
Goemon_ said:

That's a lot of carbs! Most days I'm at 20 carbs or less - some days I'm under 40 carbs, but that's it. I feel better than I have my entire adult life.

I think it's enough to shut down lipolysis (fat burning) in many people.

Goemon_: Many people here are trying to minimize carbs. Doing so tends to minimize exposure to the anti-nutrients that so many plants contain. Individual sensitivity varies widely, but trying to identify exactly what you are sensitive to can be challenging, to say the least.

If you want to work out your personal tolerance level for carbs, The New Atkins for a New You describes how to go about it. It also contains advice, as I recall, about identifying food sensitivities as you increase your carbs (if only it were so simple for everyone). If you take that approach, though, "good luck."

liffy said:
To me it looks like his/her calculations must include the dietary fiber in the vegetables, at least from a quick glance it looks like the numbers are too high.

"dietary fiber" those words make my tummy hurt!

Well, I begin where I am. I didn't eat gluten (as far as I know) or dairy since about a month.

I was heading for vegetarianism for some time: meat only when invited and at home eggs and goat's milk cheese. I began again eating some fish in box and some meat.

My energy and my muscular mass went back up sharp these last days. I took some body fat also.

liffy said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Calculations for carbs come from here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Safe for the raisin which I estimated at 100 %.

details (g / 100g):

cabbage red 9,21
pepper 7,71
grapes 100
beetroot 14,28
carrot 10,73
onion 10,42
hazelnut 40,46
brazilnut 25,46
garlic 39,09
ginger 19,2
flax 28,9
sesame 23,5
vinegar cider 0,93
tumeric in powder 65
cinnamon in powder 80,5

For tomorrow I have zucchini. that will allow me to diminish the portion of salad.

Bacon-Skin Amish Chicken

We get Amish farm-raised chickens from a local store, and combine them with uncured bacon, here's how:

1.) Thaw the chicken, set on cooking pan back-down. Slice two slits in the skin on either side near the base of the breasts, away from the breast cartilage towards the legs. Do the same on each leg, slicing a slit in the skin on each leg at the wide part on top of the leg.

2.) Insert your fingers under the skin and push back, separating the skin from the muscle as much as you can.

3.) stuff one slice of uncured bacon into each opening and try to spread it out evenly under the skin.

4.) Spice the whole outside of the chicken with marjoram, powdered garlic, salt and black pepper (add other things like ginger, clove, oregano etc... to suit your fancy...)

5.) Bake at at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 Celcius) for 25 minutes per pound of chicken. Usually (depending on size) rounds to about 1.5 hours.

6.) When done baking, slice chicken as normal and enjoy. The bacon fat saturates the meat under the skin while leaving a crispy, spiced skin on the outside and juicy meat on the inside, with leftover bacon! If you want to get fancy, take a baster and shoot the melted fat from the pan back onto the chicken meat after you slice it, and then give one more shot of salt and pepper... mmm...

:D

Back
Top Bottom