What's for Dinner?

Goemon_ said:
liffy said:
To me it looks like his/her calculations must include the dietary fiber in the vegetables, at least from a quick glance it looks like the numbers are too high.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Calculations for carbs come from here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

If you look closer at the charts provided at the site you linked; you'll see that the carbohydrate content is divided between sugars and dietary fiber, whereas what's left in the equation will be complex carbs (di- and poly-saccarides, which also are forms of sugar, to be frank).

The dietary fiber is the part of the carbohydrates that your body is unable to assimilate as nutrients, and function more as a filler. They therefore do not contribute to switching someone out of ketosis; if one's body is in such a state.

Great for a lighter lunch if breakfast has been large or great for an upset tummy because of all of the ginger, this is one of my new favorites shown to me by a friend from the Philippines: Also quite affordable if you live somewhere other than south East Asia where 1 can cost you 8 bucks :shock:

Fish Head Soup (riding on the brain theme :))

1 fish head from a nice tasting fish you trust cut in half lengthwise and again crosswise to make 4 pieces if it is large
about 3-4 inches of ginger peeled and sliced into medallions
2 tomatoes sliced into quarters
1 onion sliced into quarters
water to cover by a few inches

simmer all ingredients for about 30 min, season with S&P and enjoy

Raised in typical western style, I would never have previously eaten anything to do with fish heads. But since living here in Singapore and being so far out of my comfort zone that I'm not sure I would recognize it anymore, I've become much more adventurous. The soup has a lovely quality that for me rivals the old standby Chicken soup. The ginger and tomato cut the fishiness and there is a surprising amount of meat on the sides of the fish head.
When in Rome...

So many great dinner suggestions here! I get really tired of mine....
yesterday was the soup(last post), today we had eggs:

1 bunch of enoki mushrooms minced and sauteed in a few generous tablespoons of ghee. We mixed this with 4 eggs, S&P and poured into a pan and fried like an omelet. Delicious if you tolerate eggs.

We had this with Kailan fried with minced garlic and ghee also.

Goemon_ said:
liffy said:
To me it looks like his/her calculations must include the dietary fiber in the vegetables, at least from a quick glance it looks like the numbers are too high.

You should be counting net carbs -- total grams of carbohydrate minus total grams of fiber. Humans lack much of the digestive machinery needed to break down fiber. It's an estimate, I believe, but the carbs in the fiber tend to pass through undigested.

liffy said:
Goemon_ said:
liffy said:

Calculations for carbs come from here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

If you look closer at the charts provided at the site you linked; you'll see that the carbohydrate content is divided between sugars and dietary fiber, whereas what's left in the equation will be complex carbs (di- and poly-saccarides, which also are forms of sugar, to be frank).

The dietary fiber is the part of the carbohydrates that your body is unable to assimilate as nutrients, and function more as a filler. They therefore do not contribute to switching someone out of ketosis; if one's body is in such a state.

Megan said:
Goemon_ said:
liffy said:

You should be counting net carbs -- total grams of carbohydrate minus total grams of fiber. Humans lack much of the digestive machinery needed to break down fiber. It's an estimate, I believe, but the carbs in the fiber tend to pass through undigested.

OK, then by taking fibres away one get 89.1g. Therefore, I assume that I am not far from the max 72g.

Good night, Forgiveness, Thank you

Goemon_ said:
OK, then by taking fibres away one get 89.1g. Therefore, I assume that I am not far from the max 72g...

It is a level that is more likely to sustain lipolysis, depending on your individual carb tolerance. 72g is an average used as a suggested target in Life Without Bread. You would be better off measuring your individual tolerance (ACE -- Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium) as described in TNAFANY. If you are interested in weight loss, it is likely to be too high a level for that (another level described in the book, "CLL" for Carbohydrate Level for Losing).

Personally, I keep my carb intake as low a practical, which makes it unnecessary to determine either CLL or ACE. I eat a few veggies to support my gut, which has "fiber damage" from 15 years of trying to "eat enough fiber" as recommended by health authorities. Speaking of which, it sounds like there is a LOT of fiber in that salad.

Thank you, Megan. I have health's books in order coming from the list of the forum. I added TNAFANY, and I am more seriously going to be interested in the subject

For the moment I'm trying to get down the carbs, but slowly, and I think of diminishing fibres since some time too.

For liver - and people who claim to hate liver, LOVE my liver (but not all) - here's how to do it.

Get CALVES liver, NOT beef liver. Fry up some bacon until it is just crisp. Remove and set aside. Put the liver into the hot bacon fat (add some lard if needed so you have plenty of fat.) Salt, pepper and - if tolerated - a sprinkle of garlic powder. If you are eating onions, put a few circle slices in with the liver to fry. You need to cook this about medium high. When the liver is lightly browned on one side, turn it over. Lightly browned on the other side, and it is done. Put on the plate with the bacon slices and onions on top. A bit of bacon, onion, and liver in each bite, and you'll think you have died and gone to heaven.

I cooked a beautiful meal the other day in about 20mins,

I started with 2 nice fatty Pork Chops, on a bed of Sweet Potato Mash and lightly steamed Spinache drizzled in a Mushroom Glutien Free Gravy.

Simple, Quick and delicious.

Fabric and I do not eat "dinner" anymore as we usually snack on (and no cooking) if we are hungry before going to bed.
2 days ago, I cooked chicken fingers for Fabric's B-day/evening snack with almond mill and coconut flour, it was delicious!

Thanks for the tip.
My wife absolutely LOVES liver. I absolutely hate liver, BUT... I am open. Would be nice for my wife if I actually like this recipe. Heck, she'd throw a party if I ate liver with her. I'm going to suggest this to her. She'll think me crazy and I might have to pick her up off the floor.!.!.! This is going to be fun...
:) :) :)

Laura said:
For liver - and people who claim to hate liver, LOVE my liver (but not all) - here's how to do it.

Get CALVES liver, NOT beef liver. Fry up some bacon until it is just crisp. Remove and set aside. Put the liver into the hot bacon fat (add some lard if needed so you have plenty of fat.) Salt, pepper and - if tolerated - a sprinkle of garlic powder. If you are eating onions, put a few circle slices in with the liver to fry. You need to cook this about medium high. When the liver is lightly browned on one side, turn it over. Lightly browned on the other side, and it is done. Put on the plate with the bacon slices and onions on top. A bit of bacon, onion, and liver in each bite, and you'll think you have died and gone to heaven.

It must be CALVES liver makes all the difference. I do like the smell of it, so I will give Laura's recipe a go. Anything with bacon has to be better! :D

Lilou said:
It must be CALVES liver makes all the difference. I do like the smell of it, so I will give Laura's recipe a go. Anything with bacon has to be better! :D

Yup, It's the BACON ingredient that's got me excited. I really shouldn't like food so much...
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

We had pork roast tonight, and since there was very little fat on the meat, I put slices of butter on it. It was absolutely gorgeous. We used to do this with boiled potatoes, but this is so much better :)

Calves liver is next on the list... I didn't have liver for a while, since I wasn't sure if it would come out right without dusting it first... But now I'm definitely going to try this recipe, should also be nice with chicken liver I suppose :)

We get here thick slabs of bacon with lots of fat. I fried it once, but didn't like the bacon that way. Then I cooked it in some broth and it came out brilliant. The fat tasted good. Never thought I would like eating fat. :P
I have also cooked liver in the same kind of broth and that is what I am having for breakfast/lunch/dinner together with some broth. Not highly creative, but as my kids and partner are still eating rice and potatoes that will have to do for now. :D

Back
Top Bottom