What's for Dinner?

stellar said:
parallel said:
Pork chop (neck slice) with cracklings

After a fat rendering I've got a bag full of pork fat shavings with some meat attached 80% fat 20 % meat (didn't want to possibly spoil the rendering with meat in the pot), does anyone have an idea how to use (a dish)?
Waste not want not. :P Chop the shavings as small as you can and put them into a buckwheat bread mix; savory instead of sweet. Two cups full of shavings per 500g of buckwheat should do the trick.

Thanks for your tip Stellar. I've stopped making bread as I haven't been able to make a good one, besides I'm liking the simplicity of only meat and fat. Just rendered another batch of lard, and ended up with yet another big amount of shavings with fat. This time I threw the shavings in a pan on low heat for 45 min, then threw in diced onion, tumeric, garlic powder, and some extra slicings of porc neck chops to add a bit of protein. After an hour I had a strange but tasty meal made of mainly fat (75%). Recommended.

Since I'm only cooking for myself, I tend to keep things simple. Tonight I'm cooking a nice fatty steak in plenty of lard and beef dripping, with a small chopped onion, slowly cooked covered on a low heat, about 10-15mins each side for the steak. When it's all done I'll add some coriander, salt and coconut cream, simmer a little, then leave to stand for 10 mins. Delicious!

Laura said:
For liver - and people who claim to hate liver, LOVE my liver (but not all) - here's how to do it.

Get CALVES liver, NOT beef liver. Fry up some bacon until it is just crisp. Remove and set aside. Put the liver into the hot bacon fat (add some lard if needed so you have plenty of fat.) Salt, pepper and - if tolerated - a sprinkle of garlic powder. If you are eating onions, put a few circle slices in with the liver to fry. You need to cook this about medium high. When the liver is lightly browned on one side, turn it over. Lightly browned on the other side, and it is done. Put on the plate with the bacon slices and onions on top. A bit of bacon, onion, and liver in each bite, and you'll think you have died and gone to heaven.

Thanks for this! I tried some beef liver with onions last week and really had some difficulty eating it. But this sounds great. I'll try it.

parallel said:
stellar said:
parallel said:

After a fat rendering I've got a bag full of pork fat shavings with some meat attached 80% fat 20 % meat (didn't want to possibly spoil the rendering with meat in the pot), does anyone have an idea how to use (a dish)?
Waste not want not. :P Chop the shavings as small as you can and put them into a buckwheat bread mix; savory instead of sweet. Two cups full of shavings per 500g of buckwheat should do the trick.

Thanks for your tip Stellar. I've stopped making bread as I haven't been able to make a good one, besides I'm liking the simplicity of only meat and fat. Just rendered another batch of lard, and ended up with yet another big amount of shavings with fat. This time I threw the shavings in a pan on low heat for 45 min, then threw in diced onion, tumeric, garlic powder, and some extra slicings of porc neck chops to add a bit of protein. After an hour I had a strange but tasty meal made of mainly fat (75%). Recommended.

You may like to consider using the pork shavings in a stew, or any slow cooking, with other meat to improve the flavouring of the other meat - use in a ratio of 250g per 1kg of other meat. You may well be surprised by the difference in taste that it makes.

Last Nights dinner....

Fresh Spotted Travali- Oven Roasted

500Grams of Spotted Travali Fillets
1 Fresh Lemon
2 Teaspoons Dried Dill- Or Fresh if you can get it
2 Teaspoons of Fennel Seeds
3 Tbl Spoons of Olive Oil
2 Heaped Tsp Butter (I know its bad but nothing else works properly)
3 Large Cloves of garlic

Pre heat the oven to 160 celcius (Fan Forced) Place the Spotted Travali on foil, drench in olive oil, sprinkle dill & fennel seeds. Crush the garlic cloves place in a small bowl with the butter and microwave for 40 seconds, (alternatively in a small pot on the stove untill the butter is boiling slightly and the garlic aroma is really strong. Then pour the garlic over the fish sprinkle some salt and pepper. wrap in foil place on an oven tray and into the oven for 15-20 minutes, be careful to check at 15minute mark to make sure you dont dry out the fish- depending on thickness of the fillets.

whilst its in the oven grate the lemon rind, then squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl add the rind, a dollop of butter and into the microwave 30secs.

serve with any side dish you like, I serve it with a sweet potato mash and some steamed salt and peppered spinache. its was amazing.

Regards,

I bought some nice grass fed bones with a lot of meat on them and decided to do a beef bone stew instead of the usual bone broth.

Soup-Bone Stew

Put the bones in the crock pot, add butter, olive oil, basil, sea salt, garlic, mushrooms, an onion and about a cup of water. Cook on high for about 4 hrs, and turn down to low for another hour or two, remove meat from bone, give bones to dog(s). :) I would have thrown in a tomato, but there's no fresh garden tomatoes here right now.

The soup bones gave this a really nice flavor.

Hi Incognito, I could be mistaken, but I think that cooked bones are dangerous for dogs because they tend to splinter - raw bones are safe for dogs, though. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Herr Eisenheim will correct me.

Home made Pho: Leftover beef soup with added glass noodles (yam based) and strips of organic roast beef. Delicious!

anart said:
Hi Incognito, I could be mistaken, but I think that cooked bones are dangerous for dogs because they tend to splinter - raw bones are safe for dogs, though. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Herr Eisenheim will correct me.

Thanks for the information, Anart. I thought cooked beef bones were okay, but not cooked pork or chicken. I won't do it again until I get more info.

Trevrizent said:
parallel said:
stellar said:
parallel said:

You may like to consider using the pork shavings in a stew, or any slow cooking, with other meat to improve the flavouring of the other meat - use in a ratio of 250g per 1kg of other meat. You may well be surprised by the difference in taste that it makes.

I actually threw that ratio of fried porc fat in the pressure cooker with 75% chewy beef, it turned out very mush and fatty in a not so nice way. At first I thought the mix of beef meat with porc fat was a mistake, now I reconsider that the not so good result was due to too high heat and a bit too long cooking (100 minutes on medium to high)

parallel said:
I actually threw that ratio of fried porc fat in the pressure cooker with 75% chewy beef, it turned out very mush and fatty in a not so nice way. At first I thought the mix of beef meat with porc fat was a mistake, now I reconsider that the not so good result was due to too high heat and a bit too long cooking (100 minutes on medium to high)

Low, to very low, heat, combined with long, slow cooking is the answer.

Trevrizent said:
parallel said:

Low, to very low, heat, combined with long, slow cooking is the answer.

It makes sense now- the idea of pressure over meltdown. How long / slow would you estimate for such a combination?

For me, stewing (just a little extra water on top of the fat) for three to four hours, in a casserole dish lightly simmering (just - light bubbles in middle of pot on the oven top before transferring it to the oven) in the oven at approx 120C, 250F, Gas Mk 1/2, or the temperature to maintain that low level of simmering.

Roast pork tacos with corn tortillas (corn shells) and black tea.I can't quit completely corn, the taste of grease pork with corn tortillas is really delicious. I used to eat ten corn tortillas every day, now I am progressing, only eat five or six.I quit flour(wheat) tortillas.

parallel said:

I use the pressure cooker for mostly lamb with bone, but for chewy beef with fat, 30 minutes with 10lbs pressure should be plenty. 35-40 minutes if the beef is particularly tough or still partially frozen. Once the weight on top of the cooker starts to jiggle, turn down the heat, so instead of a constant jiggle, it only jiggles every 10 seconds or so. Once the pressure is built up in the cooker, you don't need more than medium to medium-low heat to get the right jiggle!

I love the pressure cooker for meat, it tenderizes even the toughest cuts of meat in a short time.

Today's dinner was beef patty and butternut squash soup made with chicken broth.

The soup turned out to be creamy orange with natural sweetness and it's very delicious.
It probably contains high in carbs (10-16 in one cup) so I really have to watch out the servings.

Back
Top Bottom