What's for Dinner?

Cow Tongue soup.

A whole cow tongue put in a pressure cooker with water, beef fat, sliced almonds, onions, carrots, salt, thyme and bay leaves. Afterwards I remove the skin from the tongue, chop it up into smaller pieces and put it back in. If you add a good scoop of butter after you have bowled your portion, it's amazing.

For safe measure I would cook it for 25 minutes, check the water amount, add more as needed then cook for another 20-25 minutes.

Due to my allergic reactions to onions, I wont be using them again and replacing it with lettuce or sweet potatoes next time around.

=GoemonI would be interested to know more about your recipe.

I never did the recipe myself, but I have some family in North of France. The last time I went over there, they of course find a day to do their "Carbonnades flamandes". At the time I was not on the paleo diet, neither on a gluten free diet, but I was avoiding the french fries. And this time I did a big exception. The next time that will not be possible, Neither for the french fries, nor for the beer.

I'm sure you didn't serve it with french fries.
Did you put some gluten free beer ?

I cook onions, shallots and garlic in a very generous serving of lard (saindoux) for a few minutes, add the carbonnades cut in square chunks, brown them a bit, add spices (salt, pepper, herbes de provence - or thyme and bay leaves - curcuma) and then add vegetable stock, chunks of butter and if I have any, organic, unsweetened pomegranate juice. Carbonnades flamandes is normally a bitter-sweet dish (because of the beer) but I usually don't like food which is too acid. The pomegranate juice is a bit tangy and sweet and it replaces the beer perfectly imo. I just put a glass for a big pot of carbonnades. Recently we had a friend over and since I did not know how many carbs he could have, I replaced the juice with xylitol. It was different but really nice as well.
I let it cook for about 45 minutes in the pressure cooker, then check how it looks and let it cook really slowly (mijoter) with no lid on to thicken the sauce a bit.

So, no, no beer and no fries (I served the carbonnades with green beans with butter)! Belgian people would find this sacrilegious but I don't mind :)

Thank you

This morning, boiled pork belly again and, as yesterday evening I get cravings and went for 60g of almond (after a little 4th meal), I add some more fat (meat/fat ratio : 65g/55g.)

Goemon_ said:
This morning, boiled pork belly again and, as yesterday evening I get cravings and went for 60g of almond (after a little 4th meal), I add some more fat (meat/fat ratio : 65g/55g.)

I recommend slow baking pork belly in the oven at around 200F (93C-ish) for several hours.
The meat gets all tender and the fat will melt in your mouth. Oh, and brine the meat first.

I will think about it next time. This time I had no recipe, and I boil the meat to much. I will have to eat the same for another three days

Mainly just spareribs (my favorite!), bacon (sometimes with eggs), pork chops or steak in the morning and then some more in the evening if I'm hungry. And fruit? Forgetaboutit! Whenever I eat fruit now it makes me feel terrible. Mango or papaya is OK but not much.

Gimpy said:
Tonight: curried beef tongue. (An experiment)
You may know this already, but if it's your first time having it, you may want to remove the skin before eating it. I made a lamb broth with tongues last week and wasn't crazy about the skin. The rest was good though.

What do you think about pork liver? Is it good to eat? I read that beef liver is not good. But pork? The other day I made pork liver with onions and a jest of vinegar.

Loreta

truth seeker said:
Gimpy said:
Tonight: curried beef tongue. (An experiment)
You may know this already, but if it's your first time having it, you may want to remove the skin before eating it. I made a lamb broth with tongues last week and wasn't crazy about the skin. The rest was good though.

Oh yes, you definitely have to remove the skin from tongue, it isn't edible. The way we do it is cook it for an hour or so in the pressure cooker (very handy little tool!), peel the skin off, and then cook it again for another hour. If you want to add anything to the tongue, as in any vegetables for example, you should only add them after having peeled the skin off.
Some people even prefer to cook the tongue until being able to remove the skin, then freeze it so that it is ready to properly cook it when needed.

I've always been crazy about tongue since I was a child. I love it! The consistency, the flavour, everything. After years without having seen it anywhere, I found it last year at a local butcher, and just last week, I found it online from grass fed cows :D

Last two days we've been having stewed beef brisket from grass fed cows, which is then roasted until brown. Then we add left over fat from the Christmas goose, coupled with a few brussel sprouts.
Having eaten supermarket meat for my entire life, I am amazed at how flavoursome the free range, properly fed meat I've been buying lately is. This grass fed beef is just so delicious!

Gertrudes said:
Having eaten supermarket meat for my entire life, I am amazed at how flavoursome the free range, properly fed meat I've been buying lately is. This grass fed beef is just so delicious!

Good on you Gertrudes! Nice that you found a source that sells grass fed meat! The comments about tongue made me curious, I'll definitely will be trying it soon, though I don't have a stainless steel pressure cooker yet, so I'll try to fry it instead, adding some water to it, so hopefully it'll cook through.

Back
Top Bottom