What's the weather where you are?

Shades of "The Day After Tomorrow"!!!

Summer appears to have finally arrived here in Southern France, but I don't trust it. It'll probably turn into storms again in a day or two.

In south east Queensland, Australia, it is just the start of the winter but there's already a string of 5C nights for all of this week. It is as cold as it gets for this area and is quite unusual to last this long. I finally could do some real cold adaptation...

Laura said:
Shades of "The Day After Tomorrow"!!!

Summer appears to have finally arrived here in Southern France, but I don't trust it. It'll probably turn into storms again in a day or two.
Same here in North of Italy, the weather is beautiful the temperatures during the day are reaching 30° C in the next couple of days will reach even 35°(good news for many i think, but not for me i can't stand the heat). Anyway i read an article on a meteo site and it said basically that this summer will be a hot one for western Europe especially Spain,France,Belgium,Italy and other Southern European Countries and maybe even for central and eastern Europe, the article says that according to their calculations this summer could be one of the hottest summers, off course this info must be taking with a good dose of salt because as the weather it gets crazier with each passing day you may never know how the weather will turn in a week, not speaking of this kind of predictions for the whole summer(i hope they are wrong ;D ).

Croatia
Sunny, very warm and hot weather, daytime temperatures in some cities exceed 30 degrees Celsius, the Adriatic Sea (20 degrees).
Nights have become "difficult" for sleep and rest

Fairly normal after a very abnormal spring. Normally, here in central Alberta, the snow leaves around April first, and it returns around November first, very generally-speaking. This means we can expect to have snow on the ground for about half the year.

This year, it became much warmer than normal starting around February, then basically warmed very slowly after that, until by May, the spring-thaw was actually behind schedule. On average, we expect to see most of the leaves on the trees by Mid-May, but this year it was happening slower than normal. Until this week, the temps seemed to be below normal, and even now many of the leaves are still quite small.

Same here Emma--cold and rainy in Maryland too, 50 F at night and only 62 F during the day. First week of June and I've had the heat on all week--WEIRD!

Finally some relief from heat wave in Split. Dalmatia. A neat thunderstorm has paid us a visit with some refreshing showers and fabulous lightning show. I enjoyed watching all kind of bolts from single ones (sow a couple of fat ones) to some almost forming a curtain in front of me balcony. YEEEAH :-[

There was some space battle over Split tonight, and aside from great visual spectacle, there was also an interesting variety of sound effects - on few occasions almost sounded like guys up there were using katyusha...

Attachments

• Katyusha.jpg
    Katyusha.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 191
Croatia
In the afternoon: cloudburst, thunder and wind.
Unstable weather is expected tomorrow, and in the afternoon they are almost all over the country possible showers and thunderstorms. Temperatures will fall slightly.

Record amounts of snow in the mountains forces closure of roads between the West and East of Norway this summer:

"Snowy winter has given records in closed mountain roads

- It is Vikafjellet and Hardangervidda with isolated out clearly in the negative direction, confirms the NPRA.

Mountain transition over Vikafjellet has Vore Stengd in over 2,000 hours so far this year.

- We got a sudden start with much snowfall early in the season. Quite demanding conditions quite early in the season, says Daniel Holte who drives snowplough on Hardangervidda.

He was one of many who noticed that it early got difficult to maintain open roads over the mountains this spring. There are several records for closed mountain highways this winter.

- Closed 84 days

Worst of all is the road over Vikafjellet, who have been completely closed in 84 days, or 2,000 hours, but also Hardangervidda has been closed many times this winter

CRITICAL: Tour manager at Geilo, Pål Medhus, is critical of the shortest traveling road between the east and west are so much closed.

The road has been closed over 400 hours this winter, and lie in second place in the small popular competition for having the most closed.

- If we must choose between the five mountains highways in southern Norway, we have said that we do not want only to select to maintain Highway 7, says Jan Ove Halsøy in Truck Owner Created.

- Critical to close the Inga
Tourist commander in the mountain village, Pål Medhus is critical that the shortest journey road between the east and west are so much closed.

- It's pretty brutal enjoy to experience how Bergen and the people from the West of Norway cannot go across the mountains on the quickest road between Bergen and Geilo, which is Highway 7, victory Medhus.

- What would you say to them at Geilo uroa that skiers from Bergen is not going over Hardangervidda?

- Yes, the only parts they can do is to fold hands and pray. Because for us as it is the weather, which determines when we can have opent and when we need to introduce driving in columns".

_http://www.nrk.no/hordaland/snorik-vinter-har-gitt-rekordar-i-stengde-fjellovergangar-1.12405224

Two days ago - driving home from a short road trip - the mid-day was sunny with a few clouds (puffy white) overhead. I happened to notice a very brief flash (in direct sunlight) that coincided with a very slight glitch in the podcast (not radio) audio that I was listening to (no thunder). This was not normal lightening but I think it was some kind of electrical discharge.

A few summers back, a local HAM friend of mine suffered a very similar discharge. He has a tall antenna tower with large HF antenna at the top, and, at the time, he had the connector disconnected from his radio and lying on his desk. The discharge occurred (no thunder) and exited his connector, burned a traveling path across his wood floor, and destroyed a computer and other electronics. The day was sunny and no clouds overhead. His tower is properly grounded so it is very strange that the discharge took the path of the antenna/coax. It is fortunate the he was not in the room at the time.

I suggested that he place any open connectors inside a mason jar (glass) to hinder any path to ground (as I now do).

This is a pretty strange electrical phenomena.

Turkey, Ankara

Two injured, dozens of cars swept away in Ankara flood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzJdcypVIU

http://www.dha.com.tr/two-injured-dozens-of-cars-swept-away-in-ankara-flood_956793.html

In Hong Kong, and its a hot and steamy 31 degrees C with intermittent patches of rain and thunderstorms.

Interestingly when i checked the HK Observatory monthly weather report, they had this to say to about the weather in May :

May 2015 was the fourth hottest May since records began in 1884. Its monthly mean temperature of 27.5 degrees was 1.6 degrees higher than the normal figure of 25.9 degrees. Affected by active troughs of low pressure in the second half of the month, May 2015 was actually cloudier than usual and rather rainy as well. Bright sunshine during the month amounted to 93.5 hours only, about 33 percent below the normal figure of 140.4 hours, the seventh lowest for May on record. The monthly total rainfall was 513.0 millimetres, a surplus of 68 percent against the normal figure of 304.7 millimetres. The accumulated rainfall of 679.6 millimetres since 1 January was about 6 percent above the normal figure of 640.8 millimetres for the same period.

Croatia
Meteoalarm is for Sunday in Zagreb and northern Croatia issued a red alert,
very, very warm, morning temperatures are 24 degrees Celsius, the highest daily temperature mostly between 28 and 34 ° C measured in the shade. In the sun, the temperature may be more than 40 degrees.
Heat, for chronic patients is very difficult.

Yesterday here in Poland the weather was hot and sunny, but last night there was a weird storm...I've never seen something like that before...

I was waken up by it in the middle of the night. Every few seconds appeared a massed quantity of lightings (not one or two as usual) and then just a wave of thunders...and again and again and again. It lasted at least 30 minutes. It was raining of course, as well. It must have been a serious fighting up there....

Now it's sunny and about 22 C.

Just saw reports of a hailstorm in Alice Springs, Central Australia.
The whole town is covered in a white canopy of ice!
Awesome. The local publican had been there 17 years and not seen anything like it.

Back
Top Bottom