What's the weather where you are?

Eastern NC: After several days of hard rain, it is sunny and very warm. Beach weather. Had to turn on the AC last night.

Christmas was soggy
Even a little foggy,
Made me a little groggy
Nice for a polly-woggy,
Sorry- felt a little froggy.

I am in Marion N.C., been looking at the radar all day, the state of Tennessee has gotten pounded with heavy rains all day.
This is the forecast for the next few days:

http://www.weather.com/forecast/national/news/winter-storm-goliath-forecast-snow-blizzard

Everyone please stay safe, this is going to affect a lot of people!

Even in our neck of the woods if I read the forecast map correctly, it calls for 3 more inches of rain.

Here on the east coast of the US it has been record warm weather - http://fox6now.com/2015/12/25/warm-weather-in-december-sets-east-coast-records/

I was staying at my parents for X-mas and a titmouse bird was attacking the window waking me up each day starting at sunrise and lasting all day. Poor bird thought it was nesting season due to the weather and was seeing his reflection in the window thinking it was a rival bird. Also lots of birds out singing thinking it is Spring.

http://erie.wbu.com/content/show/8216

The first call comes to the store in late February and it usually goes something like this: "There's a cardinal and he seems to be trying to get into my house. He keeps flying at the window and pecking it over and over." The number of these calls increase in March and April, and reports include other species engaging in this behavior.

So, what's going on?

This behavior coincides with the start of nesting season. Testosterone levels are rising as winter flocks begin to break up and individual birds start to establish their territories. These territories are defined and defended through the use of song, displays, and sometimes aggressive chases and attacks.

Often, a bird may see its reflection in a window and mistake it for a rival bird. When sound and posturing does not drive this 'invading bird' away, the resident bird ends up attacking his reflection. Typically, the interloper would be chased off by the resident. Since this is a reflection, however, it does not go away. The continued presence of the 'interloper' (reflection in this case) triggers repeated attacks.

It has been warmer reching feeling hot thanks to the sunlights, and is usual this days, I heard that had been warmer also at places that are usually cold this time of the year, like Monterrey. I wonder if later we wont regrate it, I mean, we should be experiencing cold days ... but weather had changed, is one/me that thinks that weather would have the same pattern ... _http://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/monterrey/244681/december-weather/244681

Mexico's weather is crazy.. it always seems as we have the four seasons in one day.. it's cold in the mornings and in the afternoons the sun almost burns but with some cold winds too, and at nights crazy cold again..

I'm reading about severe flooding in northern England, and some countries in South America, like Paraguay, Urugay, Argentina and Brazil. Forum members in those areas I hope you're all ok. Are you??

Towards the end of this week past, Northwest Alabama got hit pretty hard with rain, thunderstorms, flooding, hail and tornados and the whole mess was heading my way. The area of the state I'm in saw strong wind gusts, lots of rain and some flooding in low areas, but nothing really threatening. Didn't even have power fluctuations, so we did pretty good here.

Currently, highs are in the mid 70's and lows in the mid to upper 60's. A meme currently circulating among us U.S. southerners asks the question...soooooo, no winter this year, huh?

Just read about the tornadoes in the US, hailstones in Arkansas, flooding in the UK, bush fires in South Australia, and massive flood in South America. The world has gone crazy and the weather crazier still. Hoping that people & any forum members in the affected areas are holding up OK. :shock:

We have had very hot days (about 30- 35 degrees C) and then a 'cool' change (by our standards :rolleyes:) came through with heavy rain and winds, thunderstorms. It is now sitting at a mellow 21 degrees C.

Lower Austria and Vienna:

although we had a little snow in November the temperatures are still very high.
Since two weeks we have about 10-15° C which is definitely "too warm" for this time of the year and neither rain nor snow. It is supposed to have around 0°C and should be snow . . .

Might be one of the warmest years . . . .

The Netherlands continues to break records and the weather is inducing some rather freaky developments, i.e. asparagus plants ready for harvest at least three months before season and very early sightings of some butterflies, including very rare ones.

_http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/12/dutch-christmas-weather-is-warmest-on-record/
_http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/12/asparagus-season-comes-early-as-warm-winter-continues/
_http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/12/28/sunshine-mild-weather-bring-dozens-of-butterflies-to-netherlands-on-boxing-day/

naorma said:
Lower Austria and Vienna:

although we had a little snow in November the temperatures are still very high.
Since two weeks we have about 10-15° C which is definitely "too warm" for this time of the year and neither rain nor snow. It is supposed to have around 0°C and should be snow . . .

Might be one of the warmest years . . . .

The same weather here in Southern Bavaria - it is more like Easter than Christmas time. Some narcissus already grew a bit out of the earth.

Montréal - We have -10 (minus) Celsius today, with snow!

A big storm is coming this way, with 30cm of snow at least. After a freak heatwave for the season, now the snow is going to pile in big time! Feels like the Ice Age is on it's way...

Another record: the first time ever December stays completely frost-free.
Source: _http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/12/29/first-frost-free-december-on-record-in-netherlands/

First frost-free December on record in Netherlands

Posted on Dec 29, 2015 by Janene Pieters

This is the first frost-free December in the Netherlands since temperature measurements started in De Bilt in 1901, Weeronline announced on Tuesday based on their expectations for the rest of the week.

The lowest measured temperature measured this month was 3.3 degrees, well above freezing. The average temperature for this month amounts to 9.7 degrees Celsius, another record. The previous heat record for December was 7.3 degrees from 1974. The usual average December temperature is 3.7 degrees, a massive 6 degrees below this year’s average.

On December 17th it was 15.3 degrees in De Bilt, the highest December temperature ever measured in De Bilt. It was also the warmest Christmas time ever measured, with 14 degrees on Christmas day and 14.4 degrees on Boxing Day.

This December was hotter than the average April temperatures of 9.2 degrees and the Average March temperatures of 8.8 degrees.

Next week the temperatures will approach freezing.

On the NW coast of England and further inland - including the north east coast - there was extensive flooding due to Storm Eva. The land was saturated and the rainfall so heavy that the streams became rivers and the rivers and lakes burst their banks. Even higher up in the hills the rain collected in any dips in the land.

Many bridges were damaged due to the height of the water and the debris it carried. A 200 year old pub on a bridge partly collapsed; another bridge nearer Manchester got dragged away by the water blowing up a power station. It seems evident by the reaction of the residents and comparing the age of the buildings, that many of these floods haven't happened in the last hundred years; obviously new builds, many on flood plains, understandably were swamped but there were houses built around 1920 near once quaint and quiet streams that were flooded.

There were also many reports of roads 'collapsing' some will be sink holes, others may be just due to poor maintenance. But there is and was a definite upsurge in reports.

A friend who has an apartment over one of these brooks, her neighbours on the with a balcony over looking the water on the ground floor suffered flooding and have decided to sell up.

What followed was a beautifully clear and fresh day, a very mild 10-13C, followed by another crisp and clear morning the next day that around Lunchtime clouded over in preparation for the coming storm: Frank - bright and clear days are a rarity this past months or so.

Frank hit about 8pm last night and the winds were probably around 15-20mph - relatively light in comparison to previous weeks as well as short lived. It's still a bit windy today (predicted to end around 3pm - it's now 3:40) but it seems Ireland is suffering the brunt of it, as well as far south England where the swells around the coast seem to be problematic.

Some of the locations that suffered most under Eva - Cumbria, Yorkshire, Croston (?) - are still taking a battering because of the accumulated water though by comparison it isn't as bad. I have to say though, having known this area for much of my life and speaking to others, the waters have never been so high. Thankfully, i believe there were no fatalities.

Sott posted this from Eva which is a detailed summary with some good video: http://www.sott.net/article/309211-Met-Office-issues-2-red-alerts-on-the-same-day-for-the-first-time-ever-as-5-inches-of-rain-is-forecast-300-flood-warnings-are-issued-across-Britain

As per Laura's comments regarding the following: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/storm-frank-freak-weather-uk-north-pole-40-50-degrees-hotter-than-normal-a6789916.html
Because of the hot weather in Arctic in the short term, the climate is likely to flip and so will become colder — bringing to an end the unseasonably warm temperatures in the UK for much of the winter.

And with forecasts for the coming week showing temps around 7C and showing only rain, it seems the rain will continue to fall and the temps will going with them.

It could possibly mean a worsening of flooding but for now, the forecasters aren't making any definite predictions, from what i've read.

I saw a comment stating that were temps to be what we normally experience 3-4C, sometimes freezing, it could have been quite a snowy, white Saturnalia, but instead we had very weird warm weather and thus rain. For people not really paying attention i have heard surprise that "kids couldn't play with their new christmas toys outside in this weather" or "we've yet to have frost".

What was pointed out to me in a conversation about flooding, is that my street is actually named after one of the main rivers in the area...

Back
Top Bottom