What's the weather where you are?

Nothing much to update; the weather has been very unsettled, windy but not gales, raining on and off all day, mornings are the clearest ~ 15 mph max. Temps 5-8C.

We have another named storm: Imogen and it's expected to batter the South (this time) with high winds, there's already a bit of flooding and warnings on the south coast.

Storm Imogen set to lash south-west England and south Wales

Parts of Britain will be lashed by high winds and heavy rain on Monday as Storm Imogen moves in, forecasters say.

South-west England and south Wales are expected to face the brunt of gales.

The Met Office has issued an amber, be prepared, warning for wind in Devon and Cornwall and says coastal areas could see big waves and localised flooding.

Some ferries between the UK and France have been cancelled, rail travel may be disrupted and drivers have been warned that conditions could be difficult.

Gusts may reach 80mph, with high winds sweeping across the Bristol Channel area to Cardiff and Bristol from the early hours. Severe gales are also likely along the south coast.

And a current wave map:
Waves up to 15m or locally even higher expected in places along the SW coasts of Ireland and UK tomorrow under the influence of the ongoing windstorm. Stay safe!

12651206_1770490006507426_5833468096128276933_n.jpg

Unusual warmth and absence of real winter weather here in Zagreb, Croatia. We had lousy 2-3 weeks of winter like weather back in January, but ever since temperatures are very mild.
Although I can't say that it's only from warm winter, it seems that vegetation started a whole month earlier then usual.
Common hazel for example, blossomed a whole month before, with such abundance that I'm having a real trouble with rhinitis and itchy eyes and few days ago after spending whole day outdoor I've got hives on my face, which I didn't have for years now. One strange thing that I've heard today is the very low tide down on mid Adriatic coast in spite of strong southerly winds which usually, push sea towards coast and have effect of rising tides. So from my observation point I can say that things with weather and nature here are very strange indeed.

Durango, Colorado in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. BURRR! This has been the coldest winter since I moved here in 1996. 18/25 degrees during the day and minus 0 (somewhere) at nights. We've had a few big snow storms that have lasted for 3 days. Now my road is covered with thick ice and heavy, snow boulders block my parking space I need to navigate over to get to my car. Thankfully its suppose to be in the 50's this week sometime and melting will occur. I dont care for winter weather much. We've had exceptionally mild winters since I've lived here, little snow and temperatures in the 30's most days, drought conditions its said. The next ice age ahs been on my mind lately. I'd gladly move south if I could.

Don't think I'll be taking a Royal Caribbean Cruise to the Bahamas..... any time soon ......

Incredible photos, videos from Royal Caribbean ship during storm; damage, injuries reported
http://wgntv.com/2016/02/08/incredible-photos-videos-from-royal-caribbean-ship-during-storm-damage-injuries-reported/

The Anthem of the Seas has turned around and headed back to its original port after a severe storm injured four people and forced passengers into their staterooms for safety reasons, Royal Caribbean International said Monday.

Royal Caribbean said Anthem of the Seas encountered rough seas off Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, while sailing Sunday to Port Canaveral, Florida, in what was intended originally to be a seven-day voyage to the Bahamas. It said the ship suffered damage to some public areas and cabins but “remains seaworthy.” None of the injuries was serious, the cruise line said.

Royal Caribbean decided Monday afternoon the ship would return to Cape Liberty, New Jersey.

“We appreciate our guests’ patience and cooperation. We know that it was tough day on Sunday apologize for their discomfort,” the company said on Twitter.

Passengers shared photos and video on social media of the harrowing ride, showing scenes of disarray on the ship.

A National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration buoy off the Carolina coast recorded a gust of 76 mph, above hurricane-force winds, and waves of 30 feet high, CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen said.

Some passengers said on Twitter that in-house TV reports in their staterooms indicated winds of 120 mph to 150 mph.

Cribbs said the ship “leaned way over as the captain fought the winds.”

A Royal Caribbean statement said, “In an abundance of caution, the Captain asked all guests to stay in their stateroom until the weather improved.”

Passengers will receive a full refund for their trouble plus half off a future cruise fare, the company tweeted.

publié le 09/02/2016 | 17:04
IMAGES. Weather: when the waves unleashed by the sea
http://www.francetvinfo.fr/en-image/en-images-intemperies-quand-les-vagues-se-dechainent-en-bord-de-mer_1306842.html
Winds up to 140 km / h sweep since Monday north and west of France, but also the south coast of Britain. Which generated impressive waves.

Squalls and giant waves. Ruzica the storm hits northern Europe. In France, at least seven people were injured, two seriously in Paris, Monday, 8 and Tuesday, February 9, following these weather.

Gusts to 140 km / h were recorded in the Pas-de-Calais, Finistère and Calvados. Waves reached up to 11.5 m high in Belle-Ile (Morbihan) and off Saint-Jean-de-Luz (Pyrénées-Atlantiques). Twenty coastal departments, but also within the country, are always placed Tuesday in orange alert for wind or wave-submersion.

The spectacle offered by the waves and wind on the shore is impressive, even if we avoid to observe too closely. The proof in pictures.

7841318.jpg

Dès le dimanche 7 février 2016, les bourrasques ont atteint 100 km/h à Boulogne-sur-Mer (Pas-de-Calais). PASCAL ROSSIGNOL / REUTERS
7840966.jpg

Outre-Manche aussi. Cet homme tente de marcher sur la plage de Newhaven (Grande-Bretagne). PETER NICHOLLS / REUTERS
2/18 pictures

https://youtu.be/cSgSMZsMh4A

Storm Imogen - Gusts up to 96 mph
Published on Feb 8, 2016
Satellite imagery showing Storm Imogen as it approaches the UK bringing wind gusts up to 96 mph on the Isle of Wight.
Storm Imogen was named by the Met Office as the ninth storm of the season impacting the UK on 8th February 201
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhIUItKENC8

South-central France: wind and rain for past week, same for coming week. Incessantly gray skies with only a patch of blue now and then.

Temps aren't too bad, though. Cool, but not freezing.

Here in central Alberta winter has been unreasonably warm. Generally it is usually around or above freezing. It has felt like spring since October

The sun is starting to break through more often on the west coast of Canada. Down to only 2 layers of clothing in the morning. :cool2:

Queanbeyan New South Wales was lashed by a freak summer storm this afternoon.
Our car now exhibits thousands of dimples after large hailstones battered it.
The hailstones would be about an inch across but flattened like discs.
The trees were being stripped, and fruit was knocked off them, leaves and twigs everywhere.

The old lady next door had a window cracked and another broken, as well as a tap knocked off her hot water service, resulting in a fountain of high pressure water from it.

I have a clean-up job, the hail shredded the corrugated alcinite roof on my back verandah. It was old and due for replacement anyway.

My neighbour on the other side had his caravan damaged, garden lights broken and skylights broken.

Still, even though this was the most severe storm I have seen here in over twenty years, it's nothing compared to what's happening elsewhere.

In Montréal this morning it is munis - 20 degrees celsius, and it feels like minus - 35 with the wind factor...

romochar said:
In Montréal this morning it is munis - 20 degrees celsius, and it feels like minus - 35 with the wind factor...

Very cold here in the New York City area as the same Arctic front has now passed through here. Temperature falling from what is now about 19 degrees F to around zero tonight. Wind chill will be well below zero. The cold is expected to let up by Tuesday when temperatures in the 40s are forecast with some snow to start then changing to rain as a warm front moves in.

Northeastern Pennsylvania - Last week this time - it was 47F during the day and 23F at night. Today, we have a high of 6F with a nasty wind chill. The wind is blowing side ways with light snow. Reports of water main breaks through out the area. Like Richard S stated, by the end of the week - a warm up.

Bundle up Northeast: Record lows expected this weekend
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/12/us/winter-weather/index.html

An Arctic surge will bring bitter cold air to the Northeast this weekend, with record low temperatures expected.

More than a dozen states are under wind chill advisories or warnings, according to CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen. The wind chill in parts of New England is expected to be 40 F to 50 F below zero, he said.

Weather maps show a cold air mass across the Great Lakes triggering heavy lake-effect snow that is pushing inland, especially near Buffalo, New York.

Near zero temperatures are expected in New York's Central Park, while it will dip below zero in Boston.

"If it hits zero in Central Park this weekend, it will be the first time since January of 1993," Hennen said.

Forecasters predict as many as 15 cities in the East could see record lows on Sunday, which is Valentine's Day.

This bone-chilling weather comes a little more than two weeks after a massive winter storm pummeled New York and the Washington region with a few feet of snow.

Elsewhere, storms are expected to develop Monday in the Southeast and then move to the Northeast by Tuesday. The heaviest snow will likely fall from Tennessee to the interior Northeast, meteorologists say, especially near the eastern Great Lakes.

Montréal is experiencing fierce cld conditions due to the Artic front covering the northeast coast of North America...

It is 3:16 am, on Sunday morning Valentine's day, Febuary 14th and the temperature outside in Motréal reads - 26 Minus Celsius, and the wind chill factor reads as minus - 38 Celsius which is ludicrous. And if my memory serves me right, it is at -40 (Minus forty degrees) that Celsius and Farenheit become equal. Yesterday, when outside, our hands would freeze nearly instantly if the skin was uncovered for a mere few seconds. It is a burning type of cold, quite uncomfortable.

romochar said:
Montréal is experiencing fierce cld conditions due to the Artic front covering the northeast coast of North America...

It is 3:16 am, on Sunday morning Valentine's day, Febuary 14th and the temperature outside in Motréal reads - 26 Minus Celsius, and the wind chill factor reads as minus - 38 Celsius which is ludicrous. And if my memory serves me right, it is at -40 (Minus forty degrees) that Celsius and Farenheit become equal. Yesterday, when outside, our hands would freeze nearly instantly if the skin was uncovered for a mere few seconds. It is a burning type of cold, quite uncomfortable.

Just as you describe, Romochar - a burning type of cold - like it sucks the moisture out of your skin. At the moment, it's Valentine's morning and minus 5F. just before noon.

A huge vehicle pile up on the Interstate near Philadelphia, Pa. Saturday morning due to a blinding snow scrawl.

Police: 3 killed, scores to hospitals after huge I-78 pileup
http://news.yahoo.com/police-more-50-cars-involved-big-78-pileup-155253359.html

FREDERICKSBURG, Pa. (AP) — A pileup involving dozens of vehicles on a Pennsylvania interstate that killed three people and sent dozens to hospitals appears to have been related to a passing snow squall, authorities said Saturday.

Trooper Justin Summa said three fatalities had been confirmed following the 9:45 a.m. Saturday crash which involved at least 50 commercial and private vehicles. Police said more than 40 people were transported to several hospitals following the crash in Interstate 78 in Bethel Township.

The pileup left tractor-trailers, box trucks and cars tangled together across three traffic lanes and into the snow-covered median about 75 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

Megan Manlove of Penn State Hershey Medical Center said 10 patients had been brought in from the crash, three in critical condition, three with moderate to severe injuries and four with minor injuries.

Trooper Adam Reed said investigators believe that "passing snow squalls played a role in causing the crash."

PennLive.com reported that some witnesses reported sudden whiteout conditions on the interstate before the crash.

"It just turned real white," Raul Jardine of Allentown said, adding that all he could see were the brake lights of the car in front of him, so he slowed down and was hit from behind.

Nearby resident James Steffy told WHP-TV that the crash "sounded like two bombs went off."

"We thought it was thunderclouds, and my wife ran up over the hill and saw the accident," he said.

Police said more than 40 people were taken to a warming shelter operated by the American Red Cross at a firehouse in the area.

"We're keeping them warm, keeping them fed and hopefully going to provide them with some rental cars," Summa said.

The Penn State-Lehigh Valley men's basketball team was heading to a game in New Kensington when the team's chartered bus was hit by a tractor-trailer, the university said. Officials said there were no serious injuries to anyone and the students were "on a warm, dry bus" but were being taken to a hospital as a precaution.

Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency spokesman Cory Angell said an emergency operation center was activated and a special response team was at Fort Indiantown Gap to deliver stockpiled supplies such as food and water if they are needed.

Angell said drivers were being urged to use caution due to extremely cold temperatures and blowing snow making roads hazardous even though they have been plowed.

"You could be driving down the interstate and all of a sudden conditions change because the winds are drifting the snow," he said.

Minnesota - Temperatures fall into 20s, 30s below zero in Northland
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/3947483-temperatures-fall-20s-30s-below-zero-northland

Temperatures dropped into the 30s below zero in parts of the Northland on Saturday morning, but a warmup is on the horizon.

The National Weather Service relayed reports of 36 below zero at Embarrass and 34 below zero near Cotton. Spotters in Brimson, Makinen, Cook, Orr, Crane Lake and Bigfork reported 29 below on Saturday morning.

Other low temperature reports included:
•28 below zero - International Falls, Littlefork
•27 below zero - Ely, Floodwood, Kabetogama
•26 below zero - Hibbing
•24 below zero - Grand Rapids, Hill City, Minong
•23 below zero - Wright, Seagull Lake
•22 below zero - Eveleth, Aitkin, Isabella, Namekagon
•21 below zero - Hayward, Clam Lake, Brule, Togo

•20 below zero - Lake Winnibigoshish
•19 below zero - Saginaw, Hawthorne, Grantsburg
•18 below zero - Moose Lake, Grand Marais airport
•17 below zero - Cloquet, Silver Bay, Esko, McGregor
•16 below zero - Duluth airport
•15 below zero - Grand Portage, Grand Marais harbor, Maple, Hinckley
•14 below zero - Superior, Scanlon
•13 below zero - Two Harbors, Ashland
•9 below zero - Duluth harbor

Wind chills dropped to as low as 44 below zero at Hibbing, 43 below at the Grand Marais airport and 36 below at the Duluth airport.

Highs are forecast to reach the teens to near 20 degrees on Sunday, and temperatures may reach 30 degrees on Monday.

The normal high for Duluth at this time of year is about 23 degrees, with the normal low about 5 above zero.

Back
Top Bottom