What's the weather where you are?

We're in the midst of a heat wave in Sydney & here on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales.Temperatures ranged from tops of 42 to 45 degrees Celsius in parts of Sydney yesterday. Opening my front door was like opening an oven door, so I kept all the doors and windows closed, blinds drawn and the fan on. On the plus side, my washing dried in no time at all :D

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-heatwave-another-scorching-night-but-theres-relief-in-sight/news-story/d046c845f817d9e345baf5d8597c08c8

Today was much better a mere 24 degrees C, but it's forecast to get back to high 30s again in a few days.

It was -12 degrees Celsius yesterday in Northern Central Spain. The highest temperature was -1 C. Locals are used to this temperature from past records, but this time there was a humid wind that chilled us all to the bone!

Today it was better, -4 C and no wind. So it felt like a normal day.

It was minus 8 here in south central France this morning. Right now, I think we've reached our high for the day: plus 3.5. But, it is generally clear and sunny. The clear skies means it gets even colder at night.

This morning the lowest temperature in this area (south east germany) was -10.5 °C at night. During the day it reached around -2°C. They say, that it will get even colder until mid next week.

Many places in europe seem to be in a similar freezing mode right now.

Very cold weather still persisting in Dalmazzia too. Luckily no snow in Split, but nearby areas including some islands were not spared of it - like popular beach destination Zlatni rat (aka Golden Cape) got covered. Also Modro jezero (aka Blue lake), part and parcel of karst phenomenon Red&Blue Lakes had its surface solid frozen so even few local loonies seized an opportunity for showing off. Also winter coupled with leaking flower watering pipes has created some interesting frozen artworks in nearby town of Imotski...

Attachments

• Bol.jpg
    Bol.jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Modro.jpg
    Modro.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Modro1.JPG
    Modro1.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Jezera.jpg
    Jezera.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Imotski.JPG
    Imotski.JPG
    778.4 KB · Views: 152
In Northern Central Spain, I was woken up by the sound of thunder, yet there was no rain. I just checked outside and it is snowing heavily, so this is thundersnow!

Thundersnow, also known as a winter thunderstorm or a thunder snowstorm, is an unusual kind of thunderstorm with snow falling as the primary precipitation instead of rain. It typically falls in regions of strong upward motion within the cold sector of an extratropical cyclone.

_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

It was like 4 or 5 thundersnows five minutes apart. Exciting times!

The European continent is cold, but still warm in parts of Northern Europe, see attachment. Source https://www.gismeteo.ru/maps/eur/temp/

Attachments

• Jan 20 at 1900CET .PNG
    Jan 20 at 1900CET .PNG
    322.7 KB · Views: 44
In the Canadian South/Western mountains it has been a chilly few months - range from the minus teens Celsius into the -30's. It broke yesterday with South winds and a rapid rise in temps to +5 Celsius. Snow avalanches will now be a factor in the alpine and treeline.

Yesterday, along the border of the Pyrenees mountain range we saw clear sky's with temps fluctuating at around -2 degrees c.

Still wearing and working in relatively light clothing as the body, acclimates to the cooler temps.

Clear this morning, with lots of crystalline (sparkly), frost covering everything.

Snow over the last week, is consistent of Carbon dioxide dust, {1} with very little moisture.

Added: Night time temps drop to low of around -7 degrees c or lower.

{1}
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV1j4xFvAoQ

Littoral Dalmazzia has had sunshine in abundance past seven days - daily temp has risen almost 20 °C - hinterland on the other hand is still bearing low temperatures. Chilly a bit over nights with weak Boorah blowing, and making way for clear skies.... .

Après quelques jours très froids, il a gelé sur mon balcon 2/3 jours et de la pluie pendant ces deux derniers jours, ce matin ciel bleu, soleil et douceur sur la Côte d'Azur en France...

After a few very cold days, it froze on my balcony 2/3 days and rain during the last two days, this morning blue sky, sun and softness on the Côte d'Azur in France...

Arwenn said:
We're in the midst of a heat wave in Sydney & here on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales.Temperatures ranged from tops of 42 to 45 degrees Celsius in parts of Sydney yesterday. Opening my front door was like opening an oven door, so I kept all the doors and windows closed, blinds drawn and the fan on. On the plus side, my washing dried in no time at all :D

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-heatwave-another-scorching-night-but-theres-relief-in-sight/news-story/d046c845f817d9e345baf5d8597c08c8

Today was much better a mere 24 degrees C, but it's forecast to get back to high 30s again in a few days.

Just browsing this thread, an I noticed that the weather where I am in Canberra is very similar to yours from last week. Today it got up to 37C, and yes, I closed all the windows and curtains etc, and the air-con has been working overtime.
And you reminded me that I have washing on the line to bring in!

unusually cold and wet conditions for Western Australia (Perth). It has been a fairly mild summer so far, although we did get up to 43 the other day, then suddenly down to 18 today and it has been raining all day. It is supposed to be back up to the low 30's in a few days time.

The whole January was very, very cold in Gostivar, Western Macedonia. Temperatures were way bellow average.Few days even with temperature of -20, -25C.
Then few days little higher temperatures but still bellow freezing and the last week again temperatures of -10C , -15C. No signs that it will change very soon.

987baz said:
unusually cold and wet conditions for Western Australia (Perth). It has been a fairly mild summer so far, although we did get up to 43 the other day, then suddenly down to 18 today and it has been raining all day. It is supposed to be back up to the low 30's in a few days time.

That's a big swing in temps. We used to have summers like that here on the Mid North Coast of NSW , but this summer the heat has been fairly relentless with no cool change, and very humid to boot. Today got up to 30 degrees C, but there was a beautiful sea breeze, so it was bearable. Can't imagine what it must be like further inland past the Great Dividing Range!

MusicMan said:
And you reminded me that I have washing on the line to bring in!

That's one thing that I can't complain about, it dries literally in an hour :)

Back
Top Bottom