What's the weather where you are?

Some videos about the Sirocco and what the winds did. Remind that all the airports are closed so we are cut from the rest of the planet. :cool2:
There is sand everywhere, inside the apartments also. My books are cover with sand poor them. Impossible to go outside, too dangerous without a mask.

I hope it's over now for you Loreta !

Here, North-East of France, the weather is totally mad lately (nearly a month now !). Windstorm almost every night, snow, then rain, then hail, then sun, with the temperatures which go up and down constantly :nuts:

In the fall had checked the Old Farmers Almanac - predicting (in BC) sort of an up and down season depending on where one lives.

The reality was that, yes, there was snow (130% of normal in some of the mountains) and some valleys, like at home (Purcell/Rockies) were pretty causal overall.

As for being cold, there was just enough pacific inflow to keep the northern airflow East of the Rockies (except for up North). For instance last year November had a streak of - 25c and February another run for a few weeks of near the same. In December/January another blast that kept East. This year there was perhaps a couple of days near -25 and the rest ranged from +3c to -15c, and instead of burning 3 cords of wood it has not reached the end of 2 cords. March is just here, so the weather will go up and down, yet cool overall it says.

So, it seems the Old Farmers Almanac was pretty accurate overall, even in East Canada which was close in most predicted regions (some areas got much more snow).

This year had a look and for BC it states:

DatesWeather Conditions
Mar 1-13Rainy periods south, snow showers north; cold
Mar 14-17Showers, cool
Mar 18-22Sunny south, snow showers north; cold
Mar 23-31Showers, then sunny, cool
Marchtemperature 2°C (2°C below avg.)
precipitation 100mm (20mm below avg.)

and

April 2020 Long Range Weather Forecast for Southern British Columbia
DatesWeather Conditions
Apr 1-7Sunny, cool
Apr 8-21Rainy periods, mild
Apr 22-25Sunny, cool
Apr 26-30Showers, cool
Apriltemperature 8°C (avg.)
precipitation 90mm (10mm above avg. east, 30mm below west)

with (including the past months, which was not accurate in all areas):

Annual Weather Summary
November 2019 to October 2020
Winter will be colder than normal, with above-normal precipitation and below-normal snowfall. The coldest periods will be in mid-December and early January, from late January into early February, and in mid- and late February, with the snowiest periods in late December, early to mid-January, and early February. April and May will be slightly warmer than normal, with precipitation above normal in the north and below normal in the south. Summer will be hotter than normal, with the hottest periods in late June and mid-July. Precipitation will be above normal. September and October will be warmer than normal, with near-normal precipitation in the east and above-normal precipitation elsewhere.

So, cold and cool for a few months (possibly warm in May) - which could mean wildfires by late July if not for precipitation, yet that is what was called for last year and it did not really materialize in any great way.

I've been meaning to post these for ages, I have a thing for skywarching. Experienced this occurance last year. An incandescent cloud which I personally have never scene before neither has anyone else Ive shown so im thinking its rare.

Took the photo's in late march so first month of autumn where is usually still quite warm. Not sure if I have attached them correctly.... fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 20190328_184347.jpg
    20190328_184347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190328_184730.jpg
    20190328_184730.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190328_184630.jpg
    20190328_184630.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190328_184646.jpg
    20190328_184646.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190328_184340.jpg
    20190328_184340.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
В Москве третий день подряд установлен температурный рекорд
9 марта 2020

Translation

Moscow has set a temperature record for the third day in a row

March 9, 2020
On Monday, the temperature in Moscow rose to plus 11.3 degrees, a record for March 9 in the history of weather observations, the weather Bureau of Moscow and the Moscow region reported.
This is 1.3 degrees higher than the previous record set in 2017, Interfax reports.

Temperature records are set in Moscow for the third day in a row. On March 7, the air warmed up to 12 degrees, on March 8-to 8.6 degrees. On March 6, the temperature record was repeated, plus 6.5 degrees.

The day before it was reported that in the regions of the southern Federal district, almost summer weather was established – up to 21 degrees of heat.
В Москве третий день подряд установлен температурный рекорд

The earth shook early this morning, here, in the Adirondack Mountains of northern NY. An earthquake of 3.1 has been reported. There are fault lines in the region but it is quite rare to experience a quake. We heard a loud rumbling sound for about 6 seconds but no damage or severe shaking.

My weather thoughts

There is a lot of weather events going on, and I'm sitting where I am and everything seems normal; seasonal. So, I think it isn't so extreme where I live because it is - for the duration of the season - already extreme. Extreme cold. And nothing can upset the prevailing dominance of the cold. So there are no warm fronts clashing with cold fronts. It's just cold. Not record breaking, or out of the ordinary... it is stable weather-wise.

And so the extreme weather is happening mostly in the temperate regions. And most people live in that region. And so - though we have been having extremes where I live, it is with less frequency. Because our weather goes from to extreme to extreme. And so weather fronts have little time to battle before warm or cold become dominant, depending on the season.

So, temperate regions are like battlegrounds for weather, and that's why we are seeing it happening there, and why some don't see much change at all.

Winter came back in Macedonia this morning. A temperature of -3C at 8:00 am Snow and cold north wind that make it feels even colder.
According to forecasts, this kind of cold-weather will stay at least in the next few days.
Yep, same here in eastern Croatia, a couple of days ago it was nice, warm and sunny Spring weather, and now strong and cold wind brought thick snowflakes for a few minutes. Crazy!

Chilly chilling news! The C's were right again!

CHILL is here in Hungary, West of Ukraine! Cold winds arrived by Monday [today] - after a very beautiful jogging-weather developing last Tuesday, which got warmer last Wednesday, so I could go out and do an amazing 120+ minutes commando-exercise in the countryside in the sun. Last Thursday was still warm, then it started to cool down with cool winds. Today, one inch of snow fell, which of course is melting, but now constant cold winds and light rainy-snow brought the chill!!!

Back
Top Bottom