Iodine and Potassium Iodide

People, just keep in mind that too much enthusiastic use of iodine might lead to a bad experience, so take it easy. Some of you/us may have a heavy load of metals or fluorides or bromides to unload and that can mandate a pulsing method: five days on, two days off while drinking salt water and taking cofactors to detox, including plenty of Vitamin C. As the Cs mentioned, it can take months or years for some people to sort themselves out.

Have been taking Lugol's 2% (6-8 dropsX2,5mg 3 times a day) for four days followed with niacin and Vit C in between. Yesterday after evening intake 3 "flashe" in a hour occured. Don't know how to describe it in English, but it's something between feeling you feel after sharp getting up and blur in the head. One "flash" took 3-6 seconds approximately and no further consequences, all the rest is good.

I think it might be caused by the lack of salt and absence of cofactors (riboflavin\selen). Don't know if it was exactly Herx reaction or wrong approach, but it seems I should wait for acquiring all the stuff I need for protocol. Awaiting them learn Brownstein further.

s-kur said:
Have been taking Lugol's 2% (6-8 dropsX2,5mg 3 times a day) for four days followed with niacin and Vit C in between. Yesterday after evening intake 3 "flashe" in a hour occured. Don't know how to describe it in English, but it's something between feeling you feel after sharp getting up and blur in the head. One "flash" took 3-6 seconds approximately and no further consequences, all the rest is good.

I think it might be caused by the lack of salt and absence of cofactors (riboflavin\selen). Don't know if it was exactly Herx reaction or wrong approach, but it seems I should wait for acquiring all the stuff I need for protocol. Awaiting them learn Brownstein further.

I keep warning people to approach these things with full knowledge and there's always somebody who goes off half cocked! I do not want anyone to hurt themselves! Start slow and pay attention!

Laura said:
s-kur said:

I keep warning people to approach these things with full knowledge and there's always somebody who goes off half cocked! I do not want anyone to hurt themselves! Start slow and pay attention!

Sure, Laura. Don't worry please, I do realize and pay attention, and decided to dive deeper before jumping too far.

Merci pour tous vos partages plus intéressants les uns que les autres..
Le livre de Brownstein IODINE n'existe pas en Français, malheureusement...
Ma cure de Magnésium se termine dans 10 jours.
J'ai reçu Lugol 12% ce matin, Laura préconisait 5 gouttes par jour, je commencerai donc demain matin avec le sel de Guérande 1/2 cuillère à café diluée dans un verre d'eau le matin, en attendant ma prochaine livraison de Glycine et Vitamines B complexe...

Thank you for all your interesting shares as each other ..
IODINE Brownstein's book does not exist in French, unfortunately ...
My cure Magnesium ends in 10 days.
I received 12% Lugol this morning, Laura recommended 5 drops per day, I'll start tomorrow morning with the sea salt 1/2 teaspoon coffee diluted in a glass of water in the morning, waiting for my next delivery Glycine and Vitamins B complex ...

Laura said:
s-kur said:

In the 1970s, when I was experimenting with supplements, I took a double dose of niacin and experienced what might be called a "flash" experience. It was much like an electric charge was pulsing through my body. It took a few hours to wear off. That was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Niacin is something that needs to be approached incrementally, starting with very small doses.

Like Laura says, "Start slow and pay attention!"

nicklebleu said:
I was wondering, if iodine or Lugol could be applied intravenously, if you happen to have someone (or yourself) being very sick and unable to swallow or absorb the iodine. Apparently it is quite safe:

I was wondering the same thing! :) Good to know.

nicklebleu said:
Dr. David Derry said, “Lugol's solution is an iodine-in-water solution used by the medical profession for 200 years. One drop (6.5 mg per drop) of Lugol's daily in water, orange juice or milk will gradually eliminate the first phase of the cancer development namely fibrocystic disease of the breast so no new cancers can start. It also will kill abnormal cells floating around in the body at remote sites from the original cancer. Of course this approach appears to work for prostate cancer as prostate cancer is similar to breast cancer in many respects. Indeed, it likely will help with most cancers. Also higher doses of iodine are required for inflammatory breast cancer. As well we know that large doses of intravenous iodine are harmless which makes one wonder what effect this would have on cancer growth.

The website can be found here.

The title of the article "IODINE: Bring Back the Universal Nutrient Medicine", "International Medical Veritas Association" is from Mark Sircus' website. It seems the article comes from Sircus book:

Survival Medicine E-Book: For the 21st Century, Written by Mark Sircus, AC., OMD, section 2.8 - Iodine: Bring Back the Universal Nutrient Medicine.

Sircus compiles research from around everywhere. He got focused on nascent iodine (marketing?), but the research that he collected was very good.

Rabelais said:
Laura said:
s-kur said:

In the 1970s, when I was experimenting with supplements, I took a double dose of niacin and experienced what might be called a "flash" experience. It was much like an electric charge was pulsing through my body. It took a few hours to wear off. That was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. Niacin is something that needs to be approached incrementally, starting with very small doses.

Like Laura says, "Start slow and pay attention!"

I meant "flash" as short period of a state as I described as "something between feeling you feel after sharp getting up and blur in the head" though, not niacin's flush. Besides that the days I took lugol I felt higher energy and had no fatigue and yawning by the evening as I previously had. The only proved symptom I had as lugol intake consequence is a short term running nose.

Gaby said:
The title of the article "IODINE: Bring Back the Universal Nutrient Medicine", "International Medical Veritas Association" is from Mark Sircus' website. It seems the article comes from Sircus book:

FWIW, I dropped Mark Sircus a line asking for more information and he replied saying that he never heard of anyone using iodine intravenously.

Perhaps it was already mentioned elsewhere, but I just wanted to make sure if it's ok to use Lugol's 10% solution with glycerin (in one gram of solution 0.01 gram of iodine and 0.02 gram of iodide, and the rest is distilled water and glycerin)? This is the only one we have here in stores.

Also, got B3, but no separate B2, just as part of the complex. Which is ok too, I guess.

Lilou said:
LQB said:
Real Salt will do. Here is a 25lb bag on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KWCXEI?keywords=real%20salt&qid=1448230918&ref_=sr_1_9&s=grocery&sr=1-9

Thanks for the link, LQB. That is a much better deal to buy in bulk. They also sell a 10 pounder for $50 that is in a bucket instead of a bag. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9I0UH6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1EAUT57GO6X6U

Yes, the 25 lb'er is a much better deal and a good buy from a preparedness standpoint. I (and probably others) dump more salt on keto - in fact even a teaspoon in the morning is not enough so I'm doing several teaspoons a day (along with the iodine). As Ajay mentioned for himself, I also add 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon of potassium citrate in the morning.

Laura said:
Probably best for peeps to just start on the normal maintenance dose and stay there unless something unusual happens, like the activation of a critter/microbe/virus, which you then want to nuke, but only for a few days and then go back to the normal dosing schedule.

The point is to not be afraid to nuke stuff if necessary, but to take a moderate approach in general.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I used the "nuking" method to combat a virus. Today was going to be my 10th day, and I was going to start taking a much lower dose. But it seems that I've done one day too many. SO, WARNING!! Detox reactions can be strong!!

Yesterday evening I noticed a small lump behind my ears. They were itchy and gave me a bit of a burning sensation, but nothing else. Before going to bed, I noticed a tiny lump on both my eyelids. Well, this morning I woke up with very swollen eyelids, and they've gotten worse as the day goes by. I also got bumps in my legs, lower back and forearms. Nothing hurts, but it's itchy and "burning".

It seems to be a case of having a too strong detox reaction. I had no idea that I may have so much bromine in my body, but that's what it looks like. So, be careful, and go slowly.

Here is what I found. There are different kinds of "bumps" or skin symptoms you can get when your body is struggling to flush bromine/fluoride/chlorine/heavy metals out. If you get any of these, you want to skip the iodine, take some liver support supplements (milk thistle, NAC, vit C.), increase the salted water intake, and restart after the symptoms have subsided, with lower doses than before. BUT, hopefully, you don't need to get to this point if you take smaller doses every time.

And this tells me that for a virus, perhaps it's better to "nuke" it for just about a week only.

Bromide & Salt Loading

The iodine doctors have found in treating over 4000 patients that what is commonly thought to be a bad reaction to iodine is most likely bromide toxicity. Iodine, Bromide, Fluoride and Chlorine are all halides. When we are low in iodine and are exposed these other halides they will take a place on the iodine receptors. If we have been exposed to many of these halides over a long time period we may be considered bromide toxic. In the lab tests for iodine sufficiency the docs are seeing high levels of bromide excreted as the dose of iodine increases. Moving bromide out of the body can cause symptoms (listed below) in people who are highly bromide toxic, as the iodine pushes the bromide off the iodine receptors. There are several strategies for dealing with bromide symptoms if you get them.

Dr. Brownstein has said that less than 5% of his patients had any kind of detox symptoms from the iodine protocol.

https://www.drbrownstein.com/homePage.php

When detoxing the most common solution is Salt Loading (see details below).

Many have had success stopping iodine for a couple days, then continuing. Doing this on a regular basis is pulse dosing (days off and days on). This is a common solution for any healing supplement that causes a detox or herxheimer reaction. I have used this method for antifungal supplements as well when the die off detox gets overwhelming.

Sometimes just lowering the dose for a week or two, even a month or two depending on how long term you plan to use the supplement and allowing your body time to adjust before raising it up again is the easiest solution. Some people use large amounts of Vitamin C. The Vitamin C never worked for me though, it just added bowel irritability so if you have low bowel tolerance with Vitamin C keep that in mind. I used all of the above methods. At the bottom of the page I have included my iodine usage chart from 2009-2011 and you can see how I pulsed, took breaks and changed doses. I didn’t keep track of my salt loading but I was taking a fair amount of salt daily and usually upped my salt when I attempted to raise my iodine dose.

Far less is known about the effect of Fluoride as it is pushed out of the body. It often can take high doses of iodine over a period of time for the body to start to move the other halides out of the body. Iodine used to be added to breads and baked good when that was stopped many manufactures started to use bromide instead. Bromide is also a common fire retardant it is found in most new plastics, carpets, household goods, & new cars. Bromated oil is in Mt.Dew and some Gatorade, although Gatorade has chosen to remove this as of sometime in 2013. Bromide is commonly used in hot tubs and spas and of course chlorine is used in swimming pools and drinking water systems. Fluoride is added to many water supplies and is in toothpaste and in many foods manufactured with fluorinated water. Avoiding these halides is very difficult in our current culture.

Iodine is our only protection, After we have reached iodine sufficiency (which for some of us will take some time due to our currently high halide load) how much iodine we need to maintain that sufficiency in this toxic world is a matter of debate. The iodine Doctors originally thought 25 mg and since have raised that and believe 50 mg is required. We all have to take into account our body weight and exposure. Some on the iodine list on yahoo who are in pools often take a high dose to counteract the chorine and bromide they are exposed to.

More and more doctors are becoming aware of the importance of iodine again but still it is too few. Many if not most of us are using the iodine protocol on our own and taking responsibility for out own bodies. As always nothing on this site is medical advice just a culmination of my experience and experiences of others on the protocol through observation of our own bodies. Please seek out the assistance of an iodine knowledgeable physician. I am accustomed to using myself as a guinea pig but that doesn’t mean I recommend it to those who have no experience in self treatment.

Bromide toxicity symptoms I had were:

Body: diarrhea or constipation, hormone changes, leg and hip ache, frequent urination (mimicking urinary infection)

Mood: Anxiety, dream changes, irritability, lethargy

Head: brain fog, headache, sinus ache, runny nose, hair loss

Mouth: dry mouth, increased salivation, mouth and tongue sores, odd swallowing sensation

Skin: Acne, skin rash (bromaderma) look in the archives for the pics of the rash I had on my chest

Twitching & Jerking: eye lid twitching, foot twitching, tingling in hands or feet, leg jerking

Bromide Overdose

Many of these extreme symptoms of bromide toxicity are not likely to happen on a iodine protocol but it is interesting none the less.

Drowsiness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, acne, skin rash, blurred vision, dizziness, mania, hallucinations, increased thirst, hunger and urination, pancreatitis, muscle weakness, hypothyroidism, poor memory, psychosis, coma, possible attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD) in children.

Then there is halogenoderma (ignore the references to iodine being the culprit, since it's the bromide, fluoride, etc. who are the culprits)

Halogenoderma

Halogenodermas are skin eruptions that result after exposure to halogen-containing drugs or substances. The terms iododerma, bromoderma, and fluoroderma are used to describe skin lesions that occur after an individual consumes iodide-, bromide-, or fluoride-containing preparations.

Bromoderma is a cutaneous reaction caused by the use of products containing bromide. The administration of a syrup that contains sodium bromide is one cause.[1] When cardiac catheterization is performed with iodinated contrast material, vegetating cutaneous nodules can occur.[2]

Halogenoderma may represent a delayed hypersensitivity allergic response. In some studies, the results of lymphocyte transformation tests with iodinated human serum albumin have been positive, suggesting that iodine may act as a hapten.

Iodides can increase the movement of polymorphonuclear leukocytes into the areas of inflammation. Inflammatory mediators released from neutrophils might be responsible for the hyperproliferative and vegetative aspects of the skin lesions.[3] Perhaps, in some cases, these mediators may account for the histopathologic changes of leukocytoclastic vasculitis that are sometimes evident.

Papulonodular eruptions, having an acneiform appearance, may occur after the ingestion of certain bromide and iodide preparations. The eruptions are less common with fluoride ingestion.

Fluoride gel preparations for the prophylaxis of postirradiation dental caries may cause fluorodermas when they are applied to the teeth.[5]
[4]

Bromoderma tends to be evident as pustules or vegetating plaques; sometimes, plaques with a periphery of pustules appear. In bromoderma, the pustules usually appear on the lower extremities. In iododerma, the pustules are more likely to occur on the face, they appear less papillomatous, and they may become ulcerated.

Iododerma is characterized by vesicular, pustular, hemorrhagic, suppurative, and/or ulcerative lesions that occur on the areas of the skin with the highest concentration of sebaceous glands, such as the face; however, the mucous membranes, the extremities, and the trunk can also be affected.[6] Vegetating iododerma has also been reported to be associated with pulmonary infiltrates.[7] Some patients have had swelling of salivary glands (iodide mumps).[8] Localized pustulosis had been reported after povidone-iodine sitz baths.[9]

Bromoderma is characterized by multiple, vegetative, ulcerating, and pustular lesions with elevated papillomatous borders, especially on the legs. Bromoderma can appear as a follicular eruption on any hair-bearing body surface and can also occur in the butterfly area of the face.

Fluoroderma that develops after the skin is exposed to fluoride-containing preparations resembles iododerma; the papulonodular lesions are numerous and scattered.

Here's an interesting forum discussion about people with detox symptoms.

Other people can get "cherry Angiomas":
Cherry angiomas are caused by bromine poisoning. Research conducted by Drs. A. D. Cohena, E. Cagnanob, and D. A. Vardya, shows the correlation between bromine poisoning and cherry angiomas.

Mysterious red moles appeared on researchers' bodies after working for extended periods of time with brominated compounds.

Bromine poisoning, stored in the fat tissues, is a halogen. It is a known disruptor which prevents the absorption of iodine in the body.

The body attempts to move the toxin away from vital body organs storing it in fat tissues and in the skin where it resides as "red dots."

Bromine poisoning symptoms may be any or all of the following:

Twitching - eyelid or feet with tingling in hands or feet
Emotions may include gloom, depression, overly emotional, anxiety for no reason, irritability
Tongue or mouth sores, broken corner of mouth, odd swallowing sensation, or dry mouth
Body odor or foul urine smell
Brain fog and lethargy
Headache, sinus problems
Metallic taste in mouth or dry mouth
Aching hips or legs
Uretheral spasm causing frequent urination not related to an infection, kidney pain
Changes in vision
Constipation or diarrhea

[...]

found found some websites the other day that explained that cherry angiomas are a sign of bromide poisoning. In fact, it can be a sign that bromide is detoxing from the body.

Check this out:

Cherry angiomas are caused by bromine poisoning. Research conducted by Drs. A. D. Cohena, E. Cagnanob, and D. A. Vardya, shows the correlation between bromine poisoning and cherry angiomas.

Mysterious red moles appeared on researchers’ bodies after working for extended periods of time with brominated compounds.

Bromine poisoning, stored in the fat tissues, is a halogen. It is a known disruptor which prevents the absorption of iodine in the body.

The body attempts to move the toxin away from vital body organs storing it in fat tissues and in the skin where it resides as “red dots.” (Source)

Now this makes a lot of sense to me. Because I started taking iodine back in 2007. And iodine detoxes bromide.

I took about 50 mg of Iodoral per day for about a year. It was after that that the cherry angiomas started showing up.

Found a video too, but haven't watched much of it. It sounds like a good overview of the benefits of taking iodine:

https://youtu.be/oDRd40VK5PY

Keit said:
Perhaps it was already mentioned elsewhere, but I just wanted to make sure if it's ok to use Lugol's 10% solution with glycerin (in one gram of solution 0.01 gram of iodine and 0.02 gram of iodide, and the rest is distilled water and glycerin)? This is the only one we have here in stores.

Lugol usually has only distilled water as an "added" ingredient. It seems glycerin or alcohol are used for the nascent iodine, which is for oral consumption. There is info on iodine with glycerin vs iodine with alcohol here:

_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/nascent-iodine-in-vegetable-glycerin-vs-nascent-iodine-in-alcohol/

Chu said:
As I wrote earlier in this thread, I used the "nuking" method to combat a virus. Today was going to be my 10th day, and I was going to start taking a much lower dose. But it seems that I've done one day too many. SO, WARNING!! Detox reactions can be strong!!

Some folk highly recommend FIR saunas throughout this detox stage. Might be worth a try.

Speedy recovery!

Chu said:
Found a video too, but haven't watched much of it. It sounds like a good overview of the benefits of taking iodine:

https://youtu.be/oDRd40VK5PY

I just stumbled upon the transcript of this video!

_http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/free-iodine-webinar/

:flowers:

I received my lugols and some of the coofactors yesterday, and rereading the thread i wanted to check the dosing because this states 12% but in the Amazon comments they admit it maybe (in their calculation) 11% and a research commenter is saying it's a standard 5%.

High Strength 12% Solution
Original Dr Hulda Clark recipe
Per metric drop: 2.2mg of iodine and 3.3mg of iodide
Includes glass pipette dropper for easy & accurate dispensing
5.54mg per drop of elemental iodine

Health Leads makes Lugols Iodine and iodide solution according to the Dr Hulda Clark recipe. Lugols contains iodine and iodide. This iodine in solution consists of 44g Iodine & 88g Iodide added to distilled water to form 1000ml. This equals a 12% solution.

What's in our Original Lugols?

Per metric drop: 3.3mg of Iodide and 2.2mg of Iodine. Physicians wanting an exact measure should plan on a deviation factor of + / - 2%

The History of Iodine and Lugol's Jean Francois Coindet (1774-1834) was the first to use Iodine for medicinal use. Lugol's was first made by French physician J G A Lugol in 1829. Dr. Lugol researched substances that could help treat infections and found that Iodine could be used and showed promise in this field. How the original Lugol's Iodine Solution was made by Dr. Lugol. His Lugols Iodine consists of 5g of Iodine & 10g of Iodide in 85ml of distilled water.

Lugols Iodine Solution 12% 100ml

from Health Leads UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A25GCLO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=AR5M4EJ5HWXDK

So to get to ~50mg it's ~ 10 drops? But the advice for 12% is 3-5 drops but that's working on 15mg per drop?

This morning i took 1/4 tsp of salt mixed with water and lemon juice with my B's and selenium, then i jumped in the FIR sauna, following by a boiled egg with lots of salt (i like the taste) and some pate, a butter coffee then i took 5 drops in water, some more water, and now i'm having a fat bomb.

In an hour or so i'll take my vitamin C

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/vitamin-c-with-bioflavonoids-rosehip/10575249.html?autocomplete=productsuggestion
Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids & Rosehip £11.99 for 180
Per Serving *RI
Vitamin C 1g 1250%
Per Serving
Bioflavonoids 20 mg
Rosehip 20 mg

I also picked up the Iodide pills - because initially i was thinking this would help with saturation but i'll probably keep these on stand by for any nuking or boosting:
Source Naturals, Potassium Iodide, 32.5 mg, 120 Tablets £16.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0014H1KNY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Then what i'll be using as coofactors:
Grey Salt of Guerande, 1kg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grey-Salt-Guerande-Le-Paludier/dp/B00GY2GPPM/ref=pd_sim_21_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41dr%2Bzf0jGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR112%2C160_&refRID=1SPAZ993DBNDGPRTV8KB
Nature's Way Selenium 200mcg 100 caps £6.49
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000F4ZVKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
seems the B's i have aren't ideal

B Vits
NOW:Co-Enzyme B-Complex

60 Tablets £11.70
Serving Size2Tablets
Servings Per Container30
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin C (From Magnesium Ascorbate) 60mg 100%
Vitamin B-1 (From Thiamine HCl And Cocarboxylase) 50mg 3330%
Riboflavin (As Riboflavin And From Riboflavin-5-Phosphate Sodium) 50mg 2940%
Vitamin B-3 (From Inositol Hesanicotinate And NAD) 50mg 250%
Vitamin B-6 (From Pyridoxine HCl And P-5-P Monohydrate 50mg 2500%
Folate (As Folic Acid) 400mcg 100%
Vitamin B-12 (As Methylcobalamin And Dibencoside) 250mcg 4170%
Biotin 300mcg 100%
Vitamin B-5 (From Calcium D-Pantothenate And Pantethine) 50mg 500%
Betaine 50mg †
Alpha Lipoic Acid 50mg †
Choline (From Choline Bitartrate) 25mg †
PABA (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid) 25mg †
Inositol (From Inositol Hexanicotinate And Hesaphosphate) 15mg †
CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10) 500mcg

Any help with the dosing calculation would be appreciated :)

added: in the evening i take a variation of Mag citrate and glycinate.

Back
Top Bottom