The Situation In Germany

Olaf Scholz condemns Covid ‘truth denial’ in inaugural speech​

German chancellor promises to defeat pandemic, tackle extremists and speed up switch to renewable energy

Olaf Scholz delivers his first keynote speech as a chancellor at the Bundestag in Berlin.

Olaf Scholz delivers his first keynote speech as Germany’s chancellor at the Bundestag in Berlin. Photograph: Tobias Schwarz/AFP/Getty

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Wed 15 Dec 2021 14.27 GMT

The German chancellor, Olaf Scholz, has used his inaugural address to parliament to promise to defeat the pandemic and to tackle a “minority of hate-filled extremists” trying to overturn the government’s coronavirus measures.

In a wide-ranging speech in which he said there was “a lot to do” and “no time to lose”, Scholz also acknowledged the huge challenges Germany faced in tackling the climate emergency, including the fears many had about the impact a transition to climate neutrality might have on their lives.

He promised a “fair distribution of the costs and said everyone would benefit from the “safety and security” of switching to renewable energy. But he said a wide majority of the population would have to support the government’s promise to bring forward by seven years the withdrawal from fossil fuels – on which 250 years of German prosperity was based – for the transition to be able to work. Private investment supported by government subsidies would also be at the heart of encouraging climate neutrality innovations, he said.

Scholz, whose three-party coalition government of his Social Democrats, the Greens and the pro-business FDP took office a week ago, also paid tribute to his predecessor, Angela Merkel. He thanked her for enabling a smooth transition of power from her government to his, due to her “calm manner”, and praised her for her “modesty and lack of affectation”. He said the civility of the transition had been “admired worldwide and earned the respect of many around the world”.

Scholz opened his 90-minute address by urging Germans to get vaccinated so that the country could “return to normal”, and stressed the joint effort that was needed to defeat the virus.
So far just under 70% of Germans have been double-jabbed, while 26% have received a booster dose.

He spent the first 10 minutes of his speech condemning the “truth denial, absurd conspiracy theories, wanton disinformation and primed-for-violence extremists” that had contributed to Germany’s low vaccine rate, in a tone markedly sharper than that ever used by Merkel during the pandemic. Scholz said he lacked understanding as to why it was that despite every adult in Germany having access to two jabs, and those most vulnerable having access to a booster jab, so many had yet to take up the offer.

“If they had we would have the pandemic under control by now,” he said. “Then we could experience a meaningful Christmas with our old freedoms.”

He attacked in particular protesters who have attempted to derail the government’s measures to curb Covid-19 just as focus on Wednesday was on the emergence of reports of a plot by coronavirus deniers to murder the leader of the state of Saxony, which led to police raids on Monday. There have also been recent torch-lit parades outside the home of Saxony’s health minister as well as a stream of death threats sent to mayors and other public figures across Germany.

Scholz said he would not allow a “small minority of extremists to try to impose their will on our entire society”, stressing that “our democracy is ready to defend itself and knows how to do it”.

Scholz stressed his government’s determination to look beyond the pandemic, laying out his transport plans including an increase in the number of trains, bringing disused railway stations back to life, and encouraging the use of electric cars.

More affordable housing is also high on his agenda, including an increase in new builds and introducing a cap on rent increases.

He called Germany a nation of immigration and said in future it would be easier for people to become German citizens and to be able to vote, and multiple citizenship would also be made a possibility, to reflect “the reality of many people”.

A minimum wage of €12 an hour was due to be introduced from next year, he said, stressing how the pandemic had increased awareness of the importance of every type of worker.

He also announced an increase in the effort to tackle organised crime, political extremism and tax evasion, but said the biggest threat to German democracy came from rightwing extremism.

Among an array of foreign policy issues, including China and Nato, in line with his predecessors he said the success of the European project remained Germany’s “most important national concern”. European unity he said was vital to act against the “highly concerning” gathering of troops on the Ukraine-Russian border.

#############

About those police raids mentioned above:

German police raids target ‘anti-vaxxer murder plot’ against state leader​

Searches carried out in Dresden after plans for the killing discussed on Telegram messaging group

Michael Kretschmer, Saxony’s prime minister

Michael Kretschmer, Saxony’s prime minister. A report revealed members of the Telegram group spoke about killing representatives of the state government at meetings in Dresden. Photograph: Ina Fassbender/AFP/Getty

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Wed 15 Dec 2021 10.45 GMT

German police have carried out armed raids on several locations in the eastern state of Saxony in connection with a plot by anti-vaccination activists to murder the state’s prime minister, Michael Kretschmer.
The searches at five addresses in the city of Dresden and one in the nearby town of Heidenau targeted members of a group on the messaging service Telegram where plans for the killing were discussed in connection with the state government’s coronavirus curbs, police said. According to reports, the members included a 34-year-old woman and four men aged between 32 and 64.

Germany’s new chancellor, Olaf Scholz, used an address in parliament on Wednesday morning to condemn what he called a “tiny minority of disinhibited extremists” who were “trying to impose their will on our entire society”, in response to a rise in recent weeks in protests opposing coronavirus measures.

The group Dresden Offlinevernetzung, or Dresden offline networking, came to the attention of authorities after an investigation released last week by the broadcaster ZDF. The report revealed that members of the Telegram group spoke about killing Kretschmer as well as other representatives of the Saxony state government at meetings in the city.

Special forces took part in the dawn raids on Monday after statements by group members suggested they might be in possession of weapons capable of firing live rounds, Saxony police said on Twitter. Two crossbows were reportedly seized in the raids.
Kretschmer said “all judicial means” would be used to tackle the threats. “People in public office should not have to be scared of expressing their opinion or doing their jobs,” he told German media.

In recent weeks there have been protests by opponents of Covid restrictions in Saxony, which has the second highest rate of new coronavirus cases in Germany and the country’s lowest vaccination rate.

Last month a group of protesters held a torchlit gathering outside the home of Saxony’s interior minister, in what was widely seen as an implicit threat of violence against her.

Mayors, police chiefs and media representatives across Germany have also expressed concern over their safety after about a dozen of them received threatening letters containing pieces of raw steak, stated to be infected with Covid-19 and the deadly gas Zyklon B. The letters warned that a “bloody and unappetising resistance” would be launched against any attempts to impose a vaccine mandate.
Scholz told parliament in his first address to the nation since being inaugurated as chancellor a week ago that the government had respect for “considered doubts” people might hold but would not tolerate threats or violence.

“We want debate. We are open for contrary arguments,” he said. “But we will confront with all the democratic means at our disposal as a constitutional state the tiny minority who deploy torches, who try to intimidate people with violence and death threats.”

###############

Geeez, germans really took it to the next level of scamming those "anti-vaxxers"/"flat-earthers"; in Croatia, they arrested a few people because of a "threat to bring down a government". But Germany, this trashing of the protestors went even further - here is actually a murdering threat involved. WOW!!!

Oh boy....

German's new chancellor seems to excel in Orwellian doublethink.

"Extremists are trying to impose their will on our society", while it is an increasingly authoritarian regime that is imposing its will on society.

Scholz said he lacked understanding as to why it was that despite every adult in Germany having access to two jabs just under 70% of Germans have been double-vaccinated.

That's why Germans "could not have a meaningful Christmas with their old freedoms."
Many Germans might actually have a more meaningful Christmas with their freedoms threatened, thankful for gathering their families even with regulations prohibiting it.

ourworldindata.org is showing the vaccination status as of Dec 14, 2021.

The statistics show that the number of people in Germany fully vaccinated got stuck at 69.2% despite the propaganda and talk of introducing a vaccination mandate.

Comparing the figures with Portugal (88,9%) and Spain (80,7%) explains why Mr. Scholz may be getting increasingly stern advice from behind the curtain.

Makes me wonder whether the Germans are really as 'authoritarian' as they are often rumored to be.

Deducting a presumed 50-60% of OP's and authoritarian followers would leave us with around 10% of people who have taken the injections for the sake of satisfying employers, partners or their families.

That leaves a pretty high percentage of people being disgruntled, disenchanted and adverse to the authorities.

"Extremists are trying to impose their will on our society", while it is an increasingly authoritarian regime that is imposing its will on society.

Scholz said he lacked understanding as to why it was that despite every adult in Germany having access to two jabs just under 70% of Germans have been double-vaccinated.
The guy is playing dumb (pretending that he doesn't understand). At those levels of Power they know exactly with what they are dealing with, more and more people know.
has done its job and people are aware of the issues.

It's just a maneuver to "nudge" people to "Do The Right Thing".

A psychopath just like Merkel.

By the way, the nightmare has become reality. Karl Lauterbach is the new health minister of Germany:

Germany has some bizarre politician that might be the next health minister.
The guy knows exactly what words he is using if he's that high up in the political pyramid.

Living in germany I can tell you that that guy is totally off the hooks. Since the Corona hysteria started he became well know for his radical ideas for "combating" the Virus. To this day he is pushing the most extreme ideas and is now seriously considered a good candidate to become the next health minister of germany "because of his good deeds" during Corona. It's about the worst thing that could happen to germany, actually:

By the way, the nightmare has become reality. Karl Lauterbach is the new health minister of Germany.

FOCUS magazine portraits Lauterbachs relation to his former wife, an epidemiologist...

Between 1996 and 2010, Lauterbach was married to the scientist and physician Angela Spelsberg. The couple had four children. The two do not seem to have parted on good terms. In 2013, for example, she demanded in "BUNTE":
"I hope he doesn't become minister!"

"I would consider it better if Mr. Lauterbach did not get the office. He would not do justice to the great responsibility," Spelsberg said at the time. Between the 2004 separation and divorce, the couple had fought in court over child support, she said. For the children, the head of the Aachen Tumor Center said. "In court, I had the impression that money and career were the most important things for him," she further stated.

In 2020, the former spouses clashed again. Because Spelsberg claimed in September last year that the pandemic was over and Corona had only effects like a mild flu anyway.

That's why Germans "could not have a meaningful Christmas with their old freedoms."
Many Germans might actually have a more meaningful Christmas with their freedoms threatened, thankful for gathering their families even with regulations prohibiting it.

ourworldindata.org is showing the vaccination status as of Dec 14, 2021.

The statistics show that the number of people in Germany fully vaccinated got stuck at 69.2% despite the propaganda and talk of introducing a vaccination mandate.

Comparing the figures with Portugal (88,9%) and Spain (80,7%) explains why Mr. Scholz may be getting increasingly stern advice from behind the curtain.

Makes me wonder whether the Germans are really as 'authoritarian' as they are often rumored to be.

Deducting a presumed 50-60% of OP's and authoritarian followers would leave us with around 10% of people who have taken the injections for the sake of satisfying employers, partners or their families.

That leaves a pretty high percentage of people being disgruntled, disenchanted and adverse to the authorities.
Here, the bolded part, he is not at all lying, there actually IS a small group of extremists "trying to impose their will on our society".. it is THEM! THEY are the extremists.

I feel vicarious embarrassment every day. Not very helpful.

Today my mother planned to come for a christmas visit with her husband. On Friday she told me that they would like to wear a mask while at my house.
I just couldn't do it. Sad times!
I know.
it is hard.
My mom died a little more than 3 years ago. Several months ago I had a dream that made me understand that she went BEFORE this all happened, because she wanted to keep the situation away from us. She had cancer. I am sure they would have convinced her to take the shot (and all around her!) to keep her safe. I am also sure that, in the end, she knew that Chemo and radiation Therapy on the brain killed her. My mom and I never had a good relationship, so I was surprised this dream came. We have to take life as it comes...

'Nord Stream 2 vs US' Europe warmongering agenda.'

3 hours ago

By Ilya Tsukanov - 2 hours ago

Back
Top Bottom