Anti-Candida, Inflammation, Heavy Metals Detox and Diet

Stranger said:
- Enzymes
- Alpa-Lipoic-Acid
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine
- Minerals (Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, etc.)
- Magnesium chloride oil
- Melatonin
- DMSA

Is there anything listed I don't need or something additional I need? So far this seems to be the optimal list regarding detox and healing but maybe the low-carb diet makes some of them unnecessary.

I deleted the ones that are usually supplied by a high fatty meat diet. If you are already doing 20g of carbs per day and are adjusting just fine, then most of the supplements are not really that necessary.

Melatonin in case you can't sleep well even when sleeping in total darkness. But notice that for the DMSA, it's best to follow the heavy metal chelation protocol that we publish on the DMSA thread, which is basically the above plus some vitamins and taurine to counteract anxiety problems that might arise.

Psyche said:
Stranger said:
- Enzymes
- Alpa-Lipoic-Acid
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine
- Minerals (Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, etc.)
- Magnesium chloride oil
- Melatonin
- DMSA

Is there anything listed I don't need or something additional I need? So far this seems to be the optimal list regarding detox and healing but maybe the low-carb diet makes some of them unnecessary.

I deleted the ones that are usually supplied by a high fatty meat diet. If you are already doing 20g of carbs per day and are adjusting just fine, then most of the supplements are not really that necessary.

Melatonin in case you can't sleep well even when sleeping in total darkness. But notice that for the DMSA, it's best to follow the heavy metal chelation protocol that we publish on the DMSA thread, which is basically the above plus some vitamins and taurine to counteract anxiety problems that might arise.

Yes, its kinda 0-20 g carbs and the fatigue I experienced the first days is completely gone. I will write more about that in the Low-Carb thread.

I know the DMSA protocol from Baker's book. He adds also zinc, selen, vitamin E, B6 and reduced glutathione. I will have a look at the DMSA thread to compare both protocols.

I don't have sleep problems, but can't sleep in total darkness due to circumstances. (too hot and stiffling in the room if window is completely darkened)

From reading both his book and Detoxify or Die I got the impression that it is important to enhance the liver detox pathway with glutathione boosting supplements and take vitamin and mineral supplements to replenish those lost through detoxification. Also healing the gut with Glutamin, Cat's Claw, N-Acetyl-Glucosamine, Probiotics seems to be a good idea.

I feel like I miss something if I don't "take everyting". Though, the whole regimen would be quite expensive - 700 € / 1000 $ for 2-3 months. But after reading all those books it seems to be worth it. Especially because I don't know where my weak points are, so only applying the therapy partially can hamper results.

Stranger said:
From reading both his book and Detoxify or Die I got the impression that it is important to enhance the liver detox pathway with glutathione boosting supplements and take vitamin and mineral supplements to replenish those lost through detoxification. Also healing the gut with Glutamin, Cat's Claw, N-Acetyl-Glucosamine, Probiotics seems to be a good idea.

Keep in mind that these supplements is basically raw material that is supplemented in a high fat protein diet. NAG (glucosamine) is basically to neutralize lectins that you are no longer having. Probiotics helps the gut of those on a carb diet. Those on a low carb diet have different gut bacteria and don't need the usual probiotics anymore. Glutamine is to heal leaky gut. But I've seen people taking glutamine and not get the proper healing that a low carb diet gives.

You might want to try the heavy metal detox protocol, but make sure to read our latest research before investing on supplements. You might save money.

Don't forget vitamin C and magnesium and potassium. :)

Plus, stay low carb for a few months until things heal up before you even start to try detoxing. You may find that your body does a lot on its own with the right fuel.

Psyche said:
Glutamine is to heal leaky gut. But I've seen people taking glutamine and not get the proper healing that a low carb diet gives.

Having bone broth will heal your intestines equally as well (if not better), and provide most of the minerals you need. It also stimulates digestion, and provides the nutrients needed to produce digestive enzymes.
You can get B vitamins (and many others) and most likely glutamine or a derivative from eating liver.

Laura said:
Plus, stay low carb for a few months until things heal up before you even start to try detoxing. You may find that your body does a lot on its own with the right fuel.
I was thinking about this . Is this including DMSA or FIR Sauna ?. Infact, I did sauna today, hoping to pickup some slack during recent months.

Psyche said:
Keep in mind that these supplements is basically raw material that is supplemented in a high fat protein diet. NAG (glucosamine) is basically to neutralize lectins that you are no longer having. Probiotics helps the gut of those on a carb diet. Those on a low carb diet have different gut bacteria and don't need the usual probiotics anymore. Glutamine is to heal leaky gut. But I've seen people taking glutamine and not get the proper healing that a low carb diet gives.

You might want to try the heavy metal detox protocol, but make sure to read our latest research before investing on supplements. You might save money.

Don't forget vitamin C and magnesium and potassium. :)

Yeah, I will do the protocol with some other supplements added for experimentation and those from your list. Thanks for your help. :) I think in the long term few supplements are needed on a good diet so the costs will be reduced after the detox.

Laura said:

I will see. At least my acne, migraine and cravings are gone. You are right with the DMSA, I should wait until my digestive system is healed but I will start with all the other healing supplements a few weeks before additional to the diet to accelerate things.

RedFox said:
Having bone broth will heal your intestines equally as well (if not better), and provide most of the minerals you need. It also stimulates digestion, and provides the nutrients needed to produce digestive enzymes.
You can get B vitamins (and many others) and most likely glutamine or a derivative from eating liver.

Indeed, both bone broth and liver are important complementations to the diet. Especially liver is delicious and nutritious like no other animal food.

Thanks for this thread. Having read a good amount of posts here, I am going to start up the detox diet.

A little back story, for a good part of a year, I have been having bowel issues, frequent movement, etc. I didn't think anything of it until I started having bloody stool (sorry, I know it is gross), so I decided to go to the gastroenterologist, and finally had a bunch of tests done, eventually a Colonoscopy. As it turns out, I have been diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis in the left descending colon. I am 31, and young to have this condition according to the Doc. I am now on my 4th week of "recovery", have been prescribed to take 9 pills of Asacol (3 x 3/day) and a Corticosteroid (3 x 1/day with 1/2 pill dose dropping down every week). The doc is telling me that I will have to take the Asacol for the rest of my life, which is something that is troubling, considering that I do not like taking pills (vitamins are fine). The goal of taking the drugs is to make sure my colon does not get inflamed, as it was, but the major issue now is that I am not sure if the Asacol is working as it should, in that the Corticosteroid is what is making me feel better, not the Asacol yet, and the Doc is not even sure if it will work. Eventually, I will be stopping the Corticosteroid, and I will see what the status is. IF Asacol does not work, I will have to take Immune system suppressor, which might have very bad side effects, including lymphoma in rare cases.

This has been quite the eye-opening experience for me, and I have already made some major changes, but I still have not identified WHY my colon is inflamed, but I am thinking the answer has been right here the whole time (Candida, Gluten). I have gone and ordered the vitamins and supplements from Laura's list, and I am thinking about getting a personal Infra-red Sauna. I do go to the gym 4-5 days a week already, so I thinking that this will help with the detox. I have stopped drinking completely thinking that alcohol could be a big cause, but I never really drank that much anyways. I don't smoke except for [deleted by moderator], and try to eat "healthy". As it seems though, eating "healthy".....might not be enough, I need to take it to the next level.

Any feedback is welcomed, thanks again.

-D

GMFaudio, I'm sorry for your situation. It must be hard to live with this disease. Please read "Life Without Bread" by Wolfgang Lutz and the thread about it here on the forum about low-carb diets. It is the most important step with Ulcerative Colitis. Apparently it's also mercury poisoning with is connected to this disease, because mercury seems to attack the body cells which then provoke an immune response or weaken the immune system. Where you ever exposed to mercury (amalgam, deep-sea fish, mother, vaccines)?

But Lutz healed patients with Colitis quite succesfully. Usually 20 - 30% of those suffering from Ulcerative Colitis have to get a artificial rectum someday. Lutz had 600 Colitis-patients, only 2 had to be undergo surgery - which is remarkable. 60 % of his patients were without symptoms after only 2 years on a low-cabohydrate diet, after 8 years almost everyone was healed.

So this is really something which can safe your life.

I think sauna and detoxing additionally to the diet helps also. How is your diet at the moment?

*Edit: Spelling

Stranger said:
GMFaudo, I'm sorry for your situation. It must be hard to live with this disease. Please read "Life Without Bread" by Wolfgang Lutz and the thread about it here on the forum about low-carb diets. It is the most important step with Ulcerative Colitis.

I have not read the book, but I have seen it mentioned here many times. I was not aware that Lutz had so many patients, and even parents, that had it. I will order the book and get to reading.

Stranger said:
Apparently it's also mercury poisoning with is connected to this disease, because mercury seems to attack the body cells which then provoke an immune response or weaken the immune system. Where you ever exposed to mercury (amalgam, deep-sea fish, mother, vaccines)?

That is very interesting about mercury. As far is I know, I have not been exposed to major amounts of it, out of what would considered the "norm". I have had my share of Sushi, but nothing that would be considered huge amounts. I have had vaccines, only when I was a child, or when it was required to play sports, but nothing in adulthood. I am not sure about other types of exposure, although I did go through an "experimentation" phase with all sorts of substances, when I was a teenager, perhaps that might have something to do with it. For the last 5 years or so, I have been much more aware of my health and eating better + lots of exercise, which is why the disease came to me as a surprise.

Stranger said:
But Lutz healed parents with Colitis quite successfully. Usually 20 - 30% of those suffering from Ulcerative Colitis have to get a artificial rectum someday. Lutz had 600 Colitis-patients, only 2 had to be undergo surgery. 60 % of his patients were without symptoms after only 2 years on a low-cabohydrate diet.

With regards to getting surgery, that is what I DO NOT want to happen. My doctor has said that if they find precancerous cells, they would strongly recommend it, but as of yet, I am in the clear for that. The main thing I need to do is to keep the inflammation down and gone.

Stranger said:
I think sauna and detoxing additionally to the diet helps also. How is your diet at the moment?

I am thinking about getting a personal Sauna, found a few that are not too expensive, so I can try that a few nights a week, or how it is recommended. I am going to start to follow the diet plan posted here today. As for my diet currently, I usually eat really well (my perception of eating well, not what is considered eating well on here); no fast food, no refined sugars (candy/cookies, etc), lots of veggies (steamed/raw), lots of chicken/turkey, red meat every now and then. I have been eating pasta, but as it seems, that could be part of the issue. I am now going to combine this with an anti-gluten diet and see it has any effect. I know that this is going to be very difficult to make this huge change in my diet, but I am 100% up to the challenge.

I still have lots of reading and working to do left.

Thanks again for the reply and the support.

Excuse me, I didn't mean parents, but patients. Spelling mistake. :scared:

Interesting to know that you were not exposed to major mercury sources. There are some people claiming Colitis is only caused by mercury, but I already suspected that the carbs are the likely culprit.

For the last 5 years or so, I have been much more aware of my health and eating better + lots of exercise, which is why the disease came to me as a surprise

If eating better means eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables (carbs), it is the certain way to disease with people susceptible for colon problems.

With regards to getting surgery, that is what I DO NOT want to happen. My doctor has said that if they find precancerous cells, they would strongly recommend it, but as of yet, I am in the clear for that. The main thing I need to do is to keep the inflammation down and gone.

You will love the book! Do something as long as you can. I would love to see your doctor seing you after a few years on Lutz' Diet, since Colitis is considered as incurable today.

no fast food, no refined sugars (candy/cookies, etc), lots of veggies (steamed/raw), lots of chicken/turkey, red meat every now and then. I have been eating pasta, but as it seems, that could be part of the issue. I am now going to combine this with an anti-gluten diet and see it has any effect. I know that this is going to be very difficult to make this huge change in my diet, but I am 100% up to the challenge.

Doesn't sound bad for starting. Gluten seems to be a problem for colitis sufferers, but real healing can't occur until a gluten free diet is combined with low-carb. (Carbs irritate the intestines, basically)

Here's the thread.

Stranger said:
Doesn't sound bad for starting. Gluten seems to be a problem for colitis sufferers, but real healing can't occur until a gluten free diet is combined with low-carb. (Carbs irritate the intestines, basically)

Here's the thread.

Big Thanks, I have ordered the book and should be getting it by Wensday. I the meantime, I will be reading up on the thread that you have sent. I am curious about the Mercury, I will have to ask my parents about that, but in my adult hood, nothing comes to mind. Now I need to get these heavy metals out of me ASAP.

Well, I wouldn't start with DMSA detox unless your bowel movements have stabilized on a low-carb diet. Otherwise the heavy-metals maybe get reabsorbed in the colon and poison you. Changing the diet first is probably the best you can do for your disease.

Stranger said:
Well, I wouldn't start with DMSA detox unless your bowel movements have stabilized on a low-carb diet. Otherwise the heavy-metals maybe get reabsorbed in the colon and poison you. Changing the diet first is probably the best you can do for your disease.

I got the book today, started reading it, and it will not take long to finish. I have already change my diet to low-carb, holding to the rule of "less than 72". I feel like I am having a slight "flare-up", but I think that could be my body adjusting to the diet. How long do you think I should wait for my body to be adjusted in order to start the detox? BTW, I also ordered the personal Infra-red sauna, and it should be here by the end of the week. Any suggestions on how to start with the sauna? 10 min, 3 times a week?

Thanks

I am far from being a professional on detox and sauna but what was suggested to me, was the following schedule:

Begin with 5-10 minutes and over one to two weeks slowly increase length and heat up to 45-60 minutes and observe your reaction. If you don't feel well, decrease time. Use it 3-6 times a week. Take vitamins and minerals after to replenish your body.

Did you read Life Without Bread? How is the diet going? Please read the thread too so you can avoid common mistakes, maybe just share your diet and experiences there.

You can just begin with the sauna treatment independently from your diet. I think Laura was commenting on DMSA for detox, not sauna.

Back
Top Bottom