Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

the last two nights I slept with the light - I could not sleep, I woke up rested and not a little nervous. Probably already lost the habit of sleeping with any light what :cool2:

have you noticed something similar at home?

Lukas said:
the last two nights I slept with the light - I could not sleep, I woke up rested and not a little nervous. Probably already lost the habit of sleeping with any light what :cool2:

Do you mean that the last two nights you slept without any light?

The info in this thread has helped my sleep quite a bit. My bedroom is east-facing, with a large window, so it was basically brightly lit when the sun came up - even with blinds. It's totally blacked-out and dark now. I've noticed, since I made the change, I have much more vivid dreams and have no problem sleeping 8 hours or more. I've never had problems sleeping, but the quality of the sleep now seems much better :D Thanks for the very useful information! I'm passing it on to others ;)

anart said:
Lukas said:

Do you mean that the last two nights you slept without any light?

No.

The last two night I sleep with the light - and have trouble to sleep.

I'm sleeping without light from about 1,5 month as topic about light start. But last two night I dont have choice to make room without light then I was slept with light and noticed above negative symptoms.

Lukas said:

I had a similar experience when I didn't sleep at home two days ago, I felt uncomfortable and wondered a lot of times, when someone is switching of the light. :)
So there is really a difference when you got used to it.

Legolas said:
Lukas said:

I had a similar experience when I didn't sleep at home two days ago, I felt uncomfortable and wondered a lot of times, when someone is switching of the light. :)
So there is really a difference when you got used to it.

Indeed. I had two nights recently when I simply fell asleep without switching off the lights and was feeling low on energy the next day.

Since sleeping in the dark I feel much better physically and thus psyche and emotions are better, too; in short: a general improvement of energy levels. I didn't have to cut down on 5-htp or melatonin, because those aren't allowed in my state anyway. So I'm quite glad about that vital info on proper sleep, thank you for alerting us to this, Laura.

When I stay up longer than ten or eleven I feel a craving for that soothing darkness of my bed room. It's such a pleasure to be lying down in my bed in total darkness! :)

Only thing left to do for me is going to bed earlier in general.

Odyssey said:
Thanks for the article on 8 Uninterrupted Hours of Sleep, Psyche.

I've been waking up in the middle of the night lately (not sure of what time it is what with the BatCave and all). I lie there and think for a while but I know I have to get up for work so I figure I'd better hurry and get back to sleep so I've been doing the POTS to help. If I lie there and think for too long I'll drift off to sleep eventually but then my alarm will go off sooner than I'm ready and I really don't want that. If I didn't have to get up for work this broken sleep would be most excellent as I enjoy the quiet, dark nothingness of just being in the dark and relaxing.

Yeah. Even tho my room is about dark as it's gonna get, I still wake up multiple times during the night, and use the bathroom. I agree that knowing that waking up is "normal" (as told to those with sleep problems in the article excerpt) would make me feel better about it than reading how everybody else here is sleeping right through the night like a log. :P

Mrs. Peel said:
Yeah. Even tho my room is about dark as it's gonna get, I still wake up multiple times during the night, and use the bathroom. I agree that knowing that waking up is "normal" (as told to those with sleep problems in the article excerpt) would make me feel better about it than reading how everybody else here is sleeping right through the night like a log. :P
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I also wake up in the middle of the night periodically. This has been happening for quite a while. I do usually do POTS at these times and eventually fall back asleep. Sometimes I sleep straight through. It seems as if it comes in cycles. I think you're probably fine. :) The only other thing I can think of is that you're concerned about something and it keeps you awake or there's some nutritional deficiency.

truth seeker said:
Mrs. Peel said:
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I also wake up in the middle of the night periodically. This has been happening for quite a while. I do usually do POTS at these times and eventually fall back asleep. Sometimes I sleep straight through. It seems as if it comes in cycles. I think you're probably fine. :) The only other thing I can think of is that you're concerned about something and it keeps you awake or there's some nutritional deficiency.

FWIW, I usually wake up at least once in the middle of the night as well, and I have been sleeping in total darkness my whole life. Even when I lived in the "city" during my college years I put up heavy blinds to keep out the street lights.

What usually wakes me up is a particularly intense dream, or the need to go to the bathroom.

Mrs. Peel said:

Mrs. Peel,

My room is darkened but I wake up during the night too. I live near the center of town and because of all the snow we've had this winter, they do most of the snow removal during the night. Some nights if I wake up, I can't get back to sleep for quite some time due to the constant "beeping" of the trucks backing up. It was getting pretty annoying there for a while. I'd probably only wake once - for a bathroom run - if it weren't for the outside noise. Not much I can do about that though. I do find that I dream alot more and feel refreshed when I am able to sleep through the night (even with the bathroom run!!!).

I agree with the comments of more vivid dreams and restful sleep. I had a backache from stress and nothing could calm (magnesium, dmso, EE, etc etc) but after three nights sleeping in total darkness I woke up each time with a lot less hassle to almost nothing .... really it is amazing the effect of darkness. Thank you for this!! :D

Echo Blue said:
Mrs. Peel,

My room is darkened but I wake up during the night too. I live near the center of town and because of all the snow we've had this winter, they do most of the snow removal during the night. Some nights if I wake up, I can't get back to sleep for quite some time due to the constant "beeping" of the trucks backing up. It was getting pretty annoying there for a while. I'd probably only wake once - for a bathroom run - if it weren't for the outside noise. Not much I can do about that though. I do find that I dream alot more and feel refreshed when I am able to sleep through the night (even with the bathroom run!!!).

Have you considered using some form of a white noise generator like a small fan to possibly drown out outside noises?

Heimdallr said:
Echo Blue said:
Mrs. Peel,

Have you considered using some form of a white noise generator like a small fan to possibly drown out outside noises?

The idea of a fan completely escaped me. And I do have a fan in my room. Usually use it in the warmer months. But I'll give it a try tonight!! Thanks for the idea Heimdallr.

I usually wake up at least once during the night to go to the bathroom. If I have trouble falling back asleep I sit on my rocking chair and rock and practice EE.
We live downtown so both my daughter and myself have used fans to provide white noise. It helps.

Wow, just finished reading this book, it is just mind blowing. So much to absorb. Really interesting data about insulin and carbs and weight gain,explains a lot and back up the diet section of the forum.

Actually, I travel a lot for work and one of the things I have always appreciated about the hotels I stay in is that they generally have really good blackout curtains. You really can sleep in the absolute dark. Supposedly this is because these types of hotels have a lot of aircrews coming through at all hours of the day and night and they need to be able to sleep properly. Nice side benefit though

Now I need to get my wife to read the book and come onboard about making the bedroom pitch black as well.

Back
Top Bottom