Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

drygol said:
Question is , is it really ascorbic acid that you are taking.
Thats why I did my research about standard Vir C supplements. Almost all of them are covered with lipids or wax , therefore it is not dissolving in water that easly , therefore you will not get a diarrhea.

I'm taking C-complex from Now Foods:
This C-Complex Powder is formulated with buffered Calcium Ascorbate for acid-sensitive individuals. Acerola and Rose Hips are natural sources of Ascorbic Acid. Bioflavonoids are usually found in Vitamin C-rich foods.
Ingredients listed are:
Vitamin C (from Calcium Ascorbate) 500 mg 833%
Calcium (from Calcium Ascorbate) 60 mg 6%
Citrus Bioflavonoids (37% total bioflavonoids as Hesperidin) 200 mg
Rose Hips Powder (Rosa canina) (Fruit) 100 mg
Acerola Powder

Hildegarda said:
oh yes! My dental health took a nosedive after my second pregnancy. I figured out eventually that it was due to having sucked on vit C lozenges to fight sore throats.

When I first started brusing with ascorbic acid, I also had some sensitivity. When I switched to magnesium ascorbate, that problem went away and it seemed to work much better. It also seems that the magnesium is good for my teeth.

Now I am using a toothpaste containing xylitol and without fluoride. I sprinkle the magnesium ascorbate on top before starting to brush. I believe it is really helping my teeth stay healthy. I have had a lifetime of dental problems and many root canals, and now things are a lot better.

I would also recommend magnesium ascorbate as an alternative to plain ascorbic acid. It is a little more expensive, but has a lot less acid flavor, and provides some magnesium at the same time. (Magnesium sulfate is a very cheap source of magnesium, but it tastes horrible and is a laxative.)

Thanks Bohort and others for further hints

Bohort (Namaste) said:
I read somewhere (can not remember where) that as soon as you have finished taking your dose of ascorbic acid, it is a good idea to rinse your teeth because it can attack the enamel of your teeth. So, i am not sure it is a good idea to take it in a bottle for a long period of time unless you rinse your month after each time.

Yes, i think that the diarrhea is the red light that you are taking too much.

I heard something similar a couple of days or weeks ago.
Here is a link that I found on a quick search:

_http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=a1e6eee1-2cb9-4246-96ad-d344518ca42d

An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but dentists now say it could also leave you wearing dentures.

The high acid content of fizzy drinks, fruits, vegetables and other healthy snacks actually wears away tooth enamel and many Canadian dentists report the recent trend toward healthy eating means nearly all of their patients are showing signs of wear on their teeth.

And further I heard the following, to wait maybe half an hour before brushing teeth after eating an apple (or in our case something that contained acid), because it would further stress the enamel of the teeth.

So in my opinion just to rinse the teeth with water seems like an good advice to me and as well to take ascorbic acid in another way to me, maybe in the morning 6 gr. and again 8 gr. in the evening for example.

Well ingredients look fine , but try dissolving it in water , if it dissolves fast and perfectly then it should be OK.
On the other hand I am not sure about other stuff there

Acerola Powder

Thing is that i am not sure how good these things dissolve in water , so this may be wrong approach/test.

What I am 99% sure is (never say never :P that's why 99 not 100 :P ) that pure Ascorbic Acid dissolves easily in water.
Also I am pretty sure that majority of stuff sold as Vit C source are covered with wax on purpose , to slow down absorption in gut.
That's why i chose to take Ascorbic Acid in pure form in small portions.
I hope this helps and clarifies a little but :)

Lúthien said:
This C-Complex Powder is formulated with buffered Calcium Ascorbate for acid-sensitive individuals. Acerola and Rose Hips are natural sources of Ascorbic Acid. Bioflavonoids are usually found in Vitamin C-rich foods.
Ingredients listed are:
Vitamin C (from Calcium Ascorbate) 500 mg 833%
Acerola Powder
Recently I bought my 3 lb's now food's vitamin C and I kept it outside ( outside the refrigerator ) and with in 10 days started smelling bad . There is no instructions saying keep it in refrigerator, It only says "store in cool , dry place" , so I kept it outside. I thought may some sunlight might have fallen and threw this and bought another set of 3lb's , this kept it in the closet and I keep my house at 74F and new batch started smelling too with in a week. I need to threw this also,as my previous attempt to use the smelled one's ended up vomiting in sauna. so, what is the temperature, if it says "cool' ?. Did any body had similar type of problems with now foods vitmain C ?. It didn't got expired since it is still 'best by 03/2012'.

seek10 said:
Recently I bought my 3 lb's now food's vitamin C and I kept it outside ( outside the refrigerator ) and with in 10 days started smelling bad . There is no instructions saying keep it in refrigerator, It only says "store in cool , dry place" , so I kept it outside. I thought may some sunlight might have fallen and threw this and bought another set of 3lb's , this kept it in the closet and I keep my house at 74F and new batch started smelling too with in a week. I need to threw this also,as my previous attempt to use the smelled one's ended up vomiting in sauna. so, what is the temperature, if it says "cool' ?. Did any body had similar type of problems with now foods vitmain C ?. It didn't got expired since it is still 'best by 03/2012'.

It sounds like the products you purchased were defective in some way. Ascorbic Acid is actually added to many foods as a preservative. In my experience, it doesn’t spoil even after years of storage. Now Foods generally has quality products. I’ve purchased Now Foods Vitamin C in several different forms and never had any problems with it.

My advice would be to return the product and get a refund, though it sounds like you may have already thrown the product in the trash. You should be able to store Ascorbic Acid at room temperature without any problems up to and even past the expiration date. Perhaps look into purchasing the product from a different distributor. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your recent purchases.

Justin said:
You should be able to store Ascorbic Acid at room temperature without any problems up to and even past the expiration date. Perhaps look into purchasing the product from a different distributor. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your recent purchases.

I keep mine at room temperature and i do not have any problems.

Justin said:
My advice would be to return the product and get a refund, though it sounds like you may have already thrown the product in the trash. You should be able to store Ascorbic Acid at room temperature without any problems up to and even past the expiration date. Perhaps look into purchasing the product from a different distributor. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your recent purchases.

thank you for the sharing your experience. that is what I thought of doing . I will call them .

seek10 said:
Recently I bought my 3 lb's now food's vitamin C and I kept it outside ( outside the refrigerator ) and with in 10 days started smelling bad .
My experience has been the same as Justin and Bohort. I have bought the 3 pound and the 8 ounce bottles for about a year and a half and never had this problem. I keep them in a cardboard box in the laundry room where the temperature is usually in the 50's to 70's.

I have noticed that my magnesium ascorbate (which I keep in the bathroom for brushing my teeth) is very hydroscopic (water absorbing) and sensitive to light. It turns a light yellow after sitting in the window for a while. But I have never noticed any taste, smell, or any other difference.

I need to threw this also,as my previous attempt to use the smelled one's ended up vomiting in sauna.
I think there was something seriously wrong with the batch you got. Something bad must have happened in the factory or packaging plant.

Here is an example that you can laugh at if you wish. Some years back, I bought two packages of frozen snack "pizza rolls". I heated one of them in the microwave and ate them as a snack. I thought there was an odd "off flavor" but I did not give it much thought at the time. Later that night, I got the worst gut cramps ever and when I finally got diahrea and ejected the mess, it was a welcome relief. Some time later, I figured out what the "off flavor" was. It was dishwashing soap. I think that the factory must have cleaned their equipment with that soap and forgot to wash it out before mixing the food ingredients. It was probably an honest mistake, but it cost me one night of hellish gut cramps. To this day, I still call them "Jeno Gut Cramp Rolls".

curious_richard said:
seek10 said:
Recently I bought my 3 lb's now food's vitamin C and I kept it outside ( outside the refrigerator ) and with in 10 days started smelling bad .
My experience has been the same as Justin and Bohort. I have bought the 3 pound and the 8 ounce bottles for about a year and a half and never had this problem. I keep them in a cardboard box in the laundry room where the temperature is usually in the 50's to 70's.

I never had any problem either. I just keep the bottle in a cupboard in the kitchen.

Likewise, I have never had a problem with storing ascorbic acid. I keep it in an airtight Kilner Jar, in a cupboard in the kitchen.

curious_richard said:
seek10 said:

I have noticed that my magnesium ascorbate (which I keep in the bathroom for brushing my teeth) is very hydroscopic (water absorbing) and sensitive to light. It turns a light yellow after sitting in the window for a while. But I have never noticed any taste, smell, or any other difference.

I need to threw this also,as my previous attempt to use the smelled one's ended up vomiting in sauna.
I think there was something seriously wrong with the batch you got. Something bad must have happened in the factory or packaging plant.

Here is an example that you can laugh at if you wish. Some years back, I bought two packages of frozen snack "pizza rolls". I heated one of them in the microwave and ate them as a snack. I thought there was an odd "off flavor" but I did not give it much thought at the time. Later that night, I got the worst gut cramps ever and when I finally got diahrea and ejected the mess, it was a welcome relief. Some time later, I figured out what the "off flavor" was. It was dishwashing soap. I think that the factory must have cleaned their equipment with that soap and forgot to wash it out before mixing the food ingredients. It was probably an honest mistake, but it cost me one night of hellish gut cramps. To this day, I still call them "Jeno Gut Cramp Rolls".
thanks for sharing your experience. :lol: :lol: .
I called the seller and they haven't had any complaints about this, they talked to manufacturer to get the same message, but offered to give money back. This leaves the puzzle , some thing in my house creating this ?. How ?. I have no clue . I bought new one today and let us see what will happen to that.

New research on Vitamin C, from British Heart Foundation (http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=10651):

Vitamin C’s surprising tonic for arteries

BHF scientists in Cardiff have lifted the lid on an unusual way in which vitamin C acts on arteries.
Although vitamin C is a well-known antioxidant, in this instance it works as a ‘pro-oxidant’ – a revelation that could help to treat several heart and circulatory conditions.

The discovery is surprising to scientists since pro-oxidant activities are usually seen as bad for health, while antioxidants are credited with many of the healthy effects of fruit and vegetables.

Research has shown that taking vitamin C supplements doesn’t reduce the chances of suffering a heart attack or stroke, but injections of vitamin C are known to help arteries to relax in people with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and heart failure.

In people with these conditions, the arteries often stay tightly constricted, placing strain on the heart. Vitamin C can help the arteries relax and widen, but until now it wasn’t fully understood how this process worked.

The new research, from the School of Medicine at the University of Cardiff, has revealed that the effect is partly due to vitamin C acting as a pro-oxidant. It generates a potentially harmful chemical called hydrogen peroxide, which boosts signals telling the artery to relax.

“The reactive chemicals targeted by antioxidants can be damaging if we have too many of them, but we’re now finding out that they’re not always bad,” said Professor Tudor Griffith, who led the research.

Professor Jeremy Pearson, Associate Medical Director at the BHF, said the research opened up new possibilities for the treatment of conditions in which the artery lining is faulty, such as diabetes and heart failure.

“It suggests that pro-oxidant strategies might be effective at helping arteries to relax and reducing strain on the heart.”

Prof Griffith warned that although vitamin C is a vital part of our diet, the results do not suggest that dietary vitamin C can lower blood pressure.

“Taking vitamin C orally probably can’t achieve the high blood concentrations necessary to have these beneficial effects on arteries because it quickly gets filtered out by the kidneys,” he said. “But we’re hoping that other pro-oxidants might be effective orally to lower blood pressure.”
Further media enquiries

For more information please call the BHF press office on 020 7554 0164 or 07764 290381 (out of office hours) or email newsdesk@bhf.org.uk

The full study is: Garry et al. 'Ascorbic acid and tetrahydrobiopterin potentiate the EDHF phenomenon by generating hydrogen peroxide', Cardiovascular Research, vol. 84 no. 2 (November 2009), pp. 218-226. doi:10.1093/cvr/cvp235.

Btw, hi to everyone. That's my first post in the forum. I'm going to change my username and find an avatar but after a few years of participation in the groups and (only) reading the forum I thought I would get the ball rolling at last. And as you can guess, English is not my mother tongue.

Hi machinemole,

Glad to see you getting your feet wet. Looking forward to your intro in the Newbies section. :)

Possibility of Being said:
Btw, hi to everyone. That's my first post in the forum. I'm going to change my username and find an avatar but after a few years of participation in the groups and (only) reading the forum I thought I would get the ball rolling at last. And as you can guess, English is not my mother tongue.

Hi and welcome, P.O.B.! Your English seems perfectly fine to me! You've got the acronym 'btw' down pat! :)

Back
Top Bottom