Astrology

[quote author=Palinurus above]
"The art of astrology lies within the interpretations of the astrologer, and if accurate, it is because of psychic talents. [/quote]

Actually Miss.K, I see possible coherence here with the idea of Astrology being valued as one of many pattern languages, or context-specific pattern collections.

Here's a few more useful categories:

Your native language; mathematics (the notion of generic grammars); logic; systems theory (The Fifth Discipline); self-other psychology (all our recommended reading books as well as Games People Play by Eric Berne) and the QFG's work on psychopathology; Body language (read about recurring patterns in Body Language by Julian Fast), computer programming (Design Patterns and some also called Idioms), Nature's fractals (they're everywhere); architecture (The Timeless Way Of Building, followed by A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings Construction by Christopher Alexander) and much more, including music. There are also the patterns you can learn to see in yourself by self-observation and interacting with a network such as this.

Astrology, when viewed this way, is one part of the Set and Setting of any given 'Now'. More formally known as 'Initial Conditions' in Chaos Theory, the 'Set' refers to your mindset, intentions and expectations while the 'Setting' describes what's going on in your local and near-local environments, including astrological configurations.

If you know your 'Initial Conditions' at any given moment and you have built your own pattern collection, then, why wouldn't you, metaphorically speaking, be able to 'name any tune' within the first few notes and immediately intuit what 'song' is about to play?

Buddy said:
[quote author=Palinurus above]
"The art of astrology lies within the interpretations of the astrologer, and if accurate, it is because of psychic talents.

Actually Miss.K, I see possible coherence here with the idea of Astrology being valued as one of many pattern languages, or context-specific pattern collections.

Here's a few more useful categories:

Your native language; mathematics (the notion of generic grammars); logic; systems theory (The Fifth Discipline); self-other psychology (all our recommended reading books as well as Games People Play by Eric Berne) and the QFG's work on psychopathology; Body language (read about recurring patterns in Body Language by Julian Fast), computer programming (Design Patterns and some also called Idioms), Nature's fractals (they're everywhere); architecture (The Timeless Way Of Building, followed by A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings Construction by Christopher Alexander) and much more, including music. There are also the patterns you can learn to see in yourself by self-observation and interacting with a network such as this.

Astrology, when viewed this way, is one part of the Set and Setting of any given 'Now'. More formally known as 'Initial Conditions' in Chaos Theory, the 'Set' refers to your mindset, intentions and expectations while the 'Setting' describes what's going on in your local and near-local environments, including astrological configurations.

If you know your 'Initial Conditions' at any given moment and you have built your own pattern collection, then, why wouldn't you, metaphorically speaking, be able to 'name any tune' within the first few notes and immediately intuit what 'song' is about to play?
[/quote]

Very interesting! But do you think you can explain it in "human" as what I think I you say, touch a part of what I want to have a conversation about (some sparks in the brain appear, when I read it) , but I'm not really sure what you saying, when I try to translate it to "human"
Perhaps it could also be a good exercise if you one day are you in the future, and have to communicate with humans like me, so they have a chance of understanding :)

I still am too busy to continue, hope next week is better, but I'm thinking on, and I'll be back :flowers:

Thanks for the feedback, Miss.K. Always nice to read suggestions from humans. :)

Firstly, I'll come right to the point:

Is there any possibility you may be subtly adjusting your perceptions so that configurations of stars, planets and life 'events' match up? Do 'Events' exist or are they just conceptual entities since they seem more interpretation than fact. Don't we have to imagine a 'begin' and 'end' and pick and choose what we include and leave out of the description? Would any writers on astrology have any idea what 'events' people of today would be trying to 'foresee'?

Secondly, I will try and clarify 'patterns' with a few replies:

Miss.K said:
By useful I mean like a weather report, to know when to expect to have to put on a raincoat in order not to be wet figuratively.

Of course, weather reports are sometimes wrong. Farmers, Seafarers, and anyone whose lives depend on knowing weather is proof enough that one can get better and better at interpreting 'signs' from actual observations and experience of weather patterns and no longer have to rely on an external source if such source is available.

Miss.K said:
I find that it (astrology) is actually quite accurate, but just a little difficult to read, as all is written in symbols, (and each symbol has several meanings) and one has to be careful not to apply wishful thinking, (but that goes with anything)

What do you really know about the time periods and lives of the authors of the books from which you've learned 'interpretation'? Maybe some 'magical compendiums' of some historical periods influenced some writers and some of this stuff worked its way into the astrology literature? These 'compendiums' were certainly forbidden by the Roman Catholic Church and for all we know, astrology, in some form, may just be a private language - just a means of talking code among certain people afraid of being 'outed', harmed or killed. Perhaps it was once a form of Gnostic teaching, but due influences of many writers, began to be burdened with so many "either/or" thinking patterns, it became less and less possible to view reality as mutually inclusive possibilities.

Plus, there's that little issue of Romans seeing 'the flock' as idiots (Dennett calls them "helpless innocents") who were incapable of reading, let alone interpreting, gospels. Romans nearly accomplished burning all non 'certified' gospels and texts. Roman Catholicism (bishops and popes) literally killed all Gnostics they could find and perjure. It took them over 40 years to wipe out France's Cathars, including women and children. Nag Hammadi Gospels seem to be thought of as part of what is left and many of those are Gnostic, Essene.

What's the connection between astrology and religion? Maybe one connection is William James' book "Varieties of Religious Experience". The point here being that new students coming to esoteric studies generally wouldn't know whether their texts are poisoned with ponerology, whether they should be interpreted literally, whether they should be interpreted gnostically or that such possibilities exist.

Miss.K said:
I started studying Astrology because I figured out that I was ruled by those influences, and don't like to be ruled (at least not by such inconsiderate rulers)

"inconsiderate" is a sort of value judgement, no? Maybe we don't always know what's 'best' for us.

Miss.K said:
I thought I better study them to see if I could find a way out. I have not been able to find a way out yet, but find it very practical when I can see a certain problem I have, is mirrored (don't know if it's the right word to use) by a hard transit,

Could you provide an example?

Miss.K said:
Like knowing how hormones work, can help one coping with the emotional effect of hormones.

I agree that emotional effects attend hormone activity and vice versa, but maybe 'cause' lies elsewhere?

Miss.K said:
So the only thing I can think of that would make it not smart to use, would be if it somehow tricks one, and if it is the case, I want to understand how it tricks.

Well, are there any astrological interpretations to help with dependency on astrology?

At this point, I think it would be good to re-post this:

obyvatel said:
The appeal to geometry by the Greeks, then, is associated with the emergence during the fourth century before Christ of a totally new form of physical astronomy now known as horoscopic astrology'. This revolutionary development was based, in fact, on the completely false premise that planets exerted a distant influence on terrestrial affairs. However, unlike either judicial or zodiacal astrology, which as we have seen might have had a proper physical basis involving a direct contact between astronomical objects and the earth, horoscopic astrology, being specifically related to an imagined, remote influence of the planets (i.e. 'action at a distance'), is entirely spurious.

A direct consequence of this new theory was that other-wise unimportant planetary conjunctions or alignments were now perceived as having great significance. Here again we are dealing with a contrived, yet false transformation of ideas, for in the original judicial astrology there is some evidence that a catastrophe was widely associated with the aftermath of a conference or gathering of the gods (Butterfield 1981). Times of acute crisis might originally have been associated quite plausibly with conjunctions of cometary bodies or extended swarms of fireballs, but the later association attributing significance to the conjunction of planets is patently absurd.

Miss.K said:
But that it has changed and developed over time, is not proof to me that it is not useful.

Nor to me, but from an evolutionary standpoint, would a better question be: as a system, is astrology more or less useful for a certain purpose than, say, I Ching?

I guess being a natural skeptic I tend to want to discredit everything. Having investment in only one tool prevents one from being able to choose whatever may be situationally appropriate.

Hi Buddy, Thanks for translating :)
Buddy said:
Is there any possibility you may be subtly adjusting your perceptions so that configurations of stars, planets and life 'events' match up?

Not probable, I'd say
Why would I want to use a tool that doesn't do the job?, If just to make up predictions, and then alter my experience of events (magically in other peoples experiences of events in their lives as well) to make my predictions fit, why spend time learning to use the tool? Why not just be psychic?

If one wants the joy of inventing stuff there's much faster access to pleasant brain chemicals, by for example writing fiction, (Really! -nicest experiment ever! totally worked! -for a while I thought I'd never want a real life again)

Anyways, I think I know the difference, and have since youngster been fascinated by experiments with human mind, showing how we fool our selves, remember totally selectively, and even turn everything upside down in our minds, if we are just hanged head down for a day or 2, -type Alice in Wonderland.
Though have not read "your not so smart" from what I can tell from the thread, it is not the kind of thinking that is new to me.

Taking into account what I know about the human mind, I still don't think I "create Astrology".

Buddy said:
Do 'Events' exist or are they just conceptual entities since they seem more interpretation than fact. Don't we have to imagine a 'begin' and 'end' and pick and choose what we include and leave out of the description?

Yes "events" start and end, at other points than one might be aware, or perhaps everything is cyclical so there is no start or end of anything.

but the different "events" as we see them, culminate in life at some point,
Like a disease in the body, might have been a long time coming, but there is a point where one realize that one is sick, and if one manages to fight the disease there is a point when one is well again.
Or a divorce, same thing, long time coming usually, but there is the point where it happens, ,
Or the start of a relationship, might have been an accident waiting to happen ;) , but there is the point where it starts,.
Or the point when one radically changes diet, might have been thoughts from years before, that started the process, but there is the point where one says, Holy Pig! Now is the time, -no more wheat and dairy.
etc.

These points are in my experience always shown by transits, and/or progressions (and I'd say that looking closely, one would be able to tell the long coming that leads up to event as well)
Most big things are pretty easy to spot, (though one can miss the obvious, just like when looking at other signs like Swallows, the physical evidence of an event, or inside one self.)

But what I find really interesting is what that implies
If you can tell in advance what will happen from the point of birth, and all your life, then the future is a lot less open, than what I thought before I saw the "map"

Buddy said:
Would any writers on astrology have any idea what 'events' people of today would be trying to 'foresee'?
I don't use so much the writings. I learn to recognise archetypes.

Understanding archetypal "energies" is like understanding colours I think.
It is like if you want to paint with colours, then once you realise that all colours are made up from mixing red, blue and yellow, you don't need a textbook description of what purple is, or having to buy a purple paint, because you already know (at least after a little practice) that purple is a mix of blue and red.
Just like colours are the same no matter if you are painting a scene from the stone age, or from modern life. Archetypal "energies" are timeless.

Just as once you can recognise a certain colour, you can recognise it everywhere you see it, and don't need someone to tell you, all specific things that can have this colour, or anyone to confirm for you that the colour you are looking at is really purple.

The more you practice looking at colours, the more you will notice, what mix of colours, the colour of skin is made of, and that some people have a green shade to their skin, some red, (some green and red at the same time) some purple, some orange, etc. that makes the almost same coloured skin, (in a box of paint there would be only one skin colour) quite different when looking closely at it. After a while you might even notice that the light coming through your window has different colours, and that the colours of the light changes the colour of the walls, and all the different coloured things in your room.

"Events" people, feelings, sounds, etc. of a certain colour/archetype or certain mixes of colours/archetypal "energies" becomes apparent after observing for a while. I think

After learning the very basics, many years ago (this planet comes with this sign and this house, that roughly represents this body part, and this area of life, and is roughly represented by this archetype from Mythology, or these mythological tales, this test of Hercules, etc.)
I have mostly been observing own and friends, colleagues, family members charts, and seen what happened in life, when something big happened in the cart.
Then mixing the archetypal stories from mythology, with archetypes from other teachings, other tales, and real life stories I've experienced or heard about.
I think about anything that seem connected to a certain archetype. Until I can see it and recognise it. Until I know why the textbook descriptions say what they do, instead of them telling me how it is.
This way it is easier to see what textbook descriptions have something to them, and what is for example sexist propaganda, or new age infections.I think

Buddy said:
Secondly, I will try and clarify 'patterns' with a few replies:

Miss.K said:
By useful I mean like a weather report, to know when to expect to have to put on a raincoat in order not to be wet figuratively.

Of course, weather reports are sometimes wrong. Farmers, Seafarers, and anyone whose lives depend on knowing weather is proof enough that one can get better and better at interpreting 'signs' from actual observations and experience of weather patterns and no longer have to rely on an external source if such source is available.

I think that to watch the Swallows fly low, and knowing from experience that that means that it will rain , and watch when the horoscope shows some archetypal energy to enter life, and knowing from experience what kind of weather that archetype is, is the same principal. It is all watching the signs of the times so to speak.
(just like communicating by telephone or computer is still communicating, though different set up than talking face to face)

To learn to recognise the archetypes, I can only do by actual observation and experience.
I think that Astrology has more trained my ability to note the signs all around me, than it has made me notice them less.(one sees a lot of colours when looking around the room to see how much one can see that is purple)

The fake map does tell the archetypal energies that is the make up of ones 3D existence to my experience (both internally and externally) but is useless, unless one learns to see those archetypes in real life. (a map can tell you where to find Barcelona, but you need to be able to recognise the city, or read the city sign, to know if you really are in Barcelona when you get there)

Buddy said:
Miss.K said:
I find that it (astrology) is actually quite accurate, but just a little difficult to read, as all is written in symbols, (and each symbol has several meanings) and one has to be careful not to apply wishful thinking, (but that goes with anything)

What do you really know about the time periods and lives of the authors of the books from which you've learned 'interpretation'? Maybe some 'magical compendiums' of some historical periods influenced some writers and some of this stuff worked its way into the astrology literature? These 'compendiums' were certainly forbidden by the Roman Catholic Church and for all we know, astrology, in some form, may just be a private language - just a means of talking code among certain people afraid of being 'outed', harmed or killed. Perhaps it was once a form of Gnostic teaching, but due influences of many writers, began to be burdened with so many "either/or" thinking patterns, it became less and less possible to view reality as mutually inclusive possibilities.

Plus, there's that little issue of Romans seeing 'the flock' as idiots (Dennett calls them "helpless innocents") who were incapable of reading, let alone interpreting, gospels. Romans nearly accomplished burning all non 'certified' gospels and texts. Roman Catholicism (bishops and popes) literally killed all Gnostics they could find and perjure. It took them over 40 years to wipe out France's Cathars, including women and children. Nag Hammadi Gospels seem to be thought of as part of what is left and many of those are Gnostic, Essene.

What's the connection between astrology and religion? Maybe one connection is William James' book "Varieties of Religious Experience". The point here being that new students coming to esoteric studies generally wouldn't know whether their texts are poisoned with ponerology, whether they should be interpreted literally, whether they should be interpreted gnostically or that such possibilities exist.
I agree completely that the texts are just like religion, poisoned with ponerology, (beautifully said)
This is partly why I prefer to learn by observing more than reading.
Also as in history, and many other places one can search, old (and new) texts are for example extremely sexist, so any female "energy" is labeled weak or bad, or removed entirely, which makes kind of half of the picture missing.
I think, that the ability to think and make connections one self is very important, when studying, or one might end up thinking, that women won't have the ability to reach higher spiritual states, unless she has a man to take her with him, or that only one way leads to Rome, or something like that.

Buddy said:
Miss.K said:
I started studying Astrology because I figured out that I was ruled by those influences, and don't like to be ruled (at least not by such inconsiderate rulers)

"inconsiderate" is a sort of value judgement, no? Maybe we don't always know what's 'best' for us.
You are absolutely right, bad explanation on my part, You know the joke "If you wanna make God laugh, tell him about your plans"
(I find it quite clever, and also funny)

God might be rolling on the floor holding his stomach in uncontrollable laughter spasms right now, but I want to understand what is my Free Will, by understanding better what is this elephant called Fate/Destiny/The universe knows what it's doing/We know what will happen cause it already happened.

Once understanding that the map of destiny/fate elephant is there, not looking at it, is about as difficult, as for Eve not to eat that apple. I'd say (perhaps this is why one is warned not to look)

-I'm not sure though, that ignorance of what will come is always a bliss, so perhaps it is good to look. If the universe knows what it's doing, then I'd like to corporate, which I can better do if I'm in on the plan. (the whole big plan would probably take very long to be able to see, if possible at all, any ways)
As to the danger of screwing up the plan by doing something because knowing about it, this could as well happen by doing something because not knowing about it.
-Besides, changing a colour does not become easy, just because you learn to recognise it. Just try to make the trees bloom blue, instead of green, and you will know what I mean.

Buddy said:
Miss.K said:
I thought I better study them to see if I could find a way out. I have not been able to find a way out yet, but find it very practical when I can see a certain problem I have, is mirrored (don't know if it's the right word to use) by a hard transit,

Could you provide an example?
I think it can be explained by the more one understands the archetypal energies at work in a situation, the better one can navigate in the situation, same as understanding how human psyche works, can help to navigate. Or better understanding of the situation one is in, generally helps navigate, Knowledge protects I guess. One practical thing when looking at transits and progressions, is knowing when the tension will be over, as if one has something happening for a month, it is a different approach that is proper, than if it last 10 years. (or 40)

The alcoholics have this saying of finding the strength to change what they can, accept what they cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference, and though much can be said about alcoholics, I find that that this saying is not so dumb.

If one wants to save enough energy, to be able to be remotely useful, (and there's maybe something about, that once the energy comes over the big toe, it cannot be eaten so easily anymore) -one has to be practical. Spending energy on trying to use ones Free Will to alter what cannot be changed (the elephant), is usually just pouring out energy, with no result, or even escalating disaster, and thus it makes it more difficult to reach the place where one has the chance of saving enough energy to be remotely useful.

So there one needs the wisdom to know the difference.

And this wisdom to know the difference, I think might be found in knowledge of what cannot be changed, so that one can better know what CAN be changed by understanding what cannot.
Like understanding what gravity is so that one doesn't put the cup of (baad) coffee in the air, instead of on the table, all the time, and thus having to spend much time and energy, cleaning up. (it's so annoying when that happens!)

Buddy said:
Miss.K said:
Like knowing how hormones work, can help one coping with the emotional effect of hormones.

I agree that emotional effects attend hormone activity and vice versa, but maybe 'cause' lies elsewhere?
I don't know where cause lies, my thoughts point to the elephant Destiny/Fate/"We know what will happen, cause it already happened", as opposed to Free will/"the future is open"/"you will do what you will do"
As I've said I don't know why fate/destiny is shown in the chart. As far as I can tell Free Will is not shown, as it can't be "future is open" if it is already shown

Buddy said:
Miss.K said:
So the only thing I can think of that would make it not smart to use, would be if it somehow tricks one, and if it is the case, I want to understand how it tricks.

Well, are there any astrological interpretations to help with dependency on astrology?

Dependency issues would be shown I'd say, and Astrology interest as well, I guess,
-but dependency is a thing on it's own I think, as it is the same principle if one is dependent on Astrology, or on ones mother, or anything else.
Astrology doesn't make one dependent, any more than looking at physical evidence, makes one dependent on physical evidence, or understanding the principles of realizing one is deeply mechanical, and try to get that machine clean, and getting the little I's to agree, makes one dependent on Gurdjieff. Or thinking about what really happened at 9/11 makes one dependent on conspiracy theories. Though people with dependency issues would be able to become dependant on all those things.

Buddy said:
At this point, I think it would be good to re-post this:

obyvatel said:
The appeal to geometry by the Greeks, then, is associated with the emergence during the fourth century before Christ of a totally new form of physical astronomy now known as horoscopic astrology'. This revolutionary development was based, in fact, on the completely false premise that planets exerted a distant influence on terrestrial affairs. However, unlike either judicial or zodiacal astrology, which as we have seen might have had a proper physical basis involving a direct contact between astronomical objects and the earth, horoscopic astrology, being specifically related to an imagined, remote influence of the planets (i.e. 'action at a distance'), is entirely spurious.

A direct consequence of this new theory was that other-wise unimportant planetary conjunctions or alignments were now perceived as having great significance. Here again we are dealing with a contrived, yet false transformation of ideas, for in the original judicial astrology there is some evidence that a catastrophe was widely associated with the aftermath of a conference or gathering of the gods (Butterfield 1981). Times of acute crisis might originally have been associated quite plausibly with conjunctions of cometary bodies or extended swarms of fireballs, but the later association attributing significance to the conjunction of planets is patently absurd.

I know it is not supposed to work, but if you get a scientific report pointing out that the colour purple don't exist, because someone made it up, and that so, it is not possible for purple to exist.
What are you going to do with all the purple you still see everyday, and that is in your head from memories of purple things you've seen, even if you think the argument would be valid, if it just wasn't for all those purple things in the world.
Would you be interested in finding out why so much is purple, if purple don't exist?

Buddy said:
Miss.K said:
But that it has changed and developed over time, is not proof to me that it is not useful.

Nor to me, but from an evolutionary standpoint, would a better question be: as a system, is astrology more or less useful for a certain purpose than, say, I Ching?

Yes this I think I have asked something like that too, as it is exactly why I don't understand arguments of subtle ego traps, and danger of becoming obsessed, or identifying with ones study to appear special, as I see those dangers with other tools, or studies as well, and not Astrology specifically.

Buddy said:
I guess being a natural skeptic I tend to want to discredit everything. Having investment in only one tool prevents one from being able to choose whatever may be situationally appropriate.

Me too! I started studying Astrology, because I didn't like the thought that the future was less open than I thought, so I thought I better check it out, and hoped that there wouldn't be any truth to it, so that I could make my own film instead of playing main actress in someone elses film.

I have never before the conversation in this thread, heard of that Astrology should make one not use any other tools, or skills than one has.

It is not a religion, and there is no Astro God, who ask one to only pray to him. It is more like a calender, anybody no matter what other interests or beliefs, are free to check what date it is, no one who doesn't want to, have to, but the calender still says what date it is no matter if one looks or not.

I also use other tools than Astrology, (like looking at the clock when I have to catch the train) like watching the "events", Physical evidence, Knowledge of psychology, Common sense, I Ching, Tarot, What I read here, the Swallows flying low, A sentence someone says, that answers a question I have been thinking about earlier, Dreams, Intuition, Looking inside for answers, and life in general.

I just understand the Astrology language better than for example the I Ching, or find it more direct.

I can be thinking "aaahhhh but if I keep the car just a little while longer, just to drive to the station, what would happen?" and I look up the horary chart, and the Asc (representing me) on the chart is in exact square (tension aspect) to Uranus (among other things, the archetype of things happening suddenly, and thus accidents), from 3rd house (short trips, and traffic among other things), (totally textbook by the way), and it is easier for me to understand, than that I should not marry a woman who is bold and strong, and keep my toes cut off. (even though it says the same thing, I guess)

Miss.K said:
Though have not read "your not so smart" from what I can tell from the thread, it is not the kind of thinking that is new to me.

It would me much wiser to actually read it before coming to such a conclusion.

anart said:
Miss.K said:

I don't mean to say that I will know what is in the book before reading it, so it is not meant to conclude that I know all it's about. More to explain that I'm not unfamiliar with how the mind tricks, and that I have thought about that possibility. (sometimes I read a thread going wauw I never thought of that before, and sometimes I go oh yes that is like this and that thing I read/heard about in other place, and this was one of the last)

As I don't know all there is to know, I can't be a 100% sure that anything I perceive is correct, so it was meant to explain where I am, before answering the question, as if I were completely unfamiliar with the possibility of tricking myself, it is a little different, than if I have thought about similar things before.

(as the question was if it was possible that I'm tricking myself)

-better? :)

Miss.K said:
anart said:
Miss.K said:

I don't mean to say that I will know what is in the book before reading it, so it is not meant to conclude that I know all it's about. More to explain that I'm not unfamiliar with how the mind tricks, and that I have thought about that possibility. (sometimes I read a thread going wauw I never thought of that before, and sometimes I go oh yes that is like this and that thing I read/heard about in other place, and this was one of the last)

As I don't know all there is to know, I can't be a 100% sure that anything I perceive is correct, so it was meant to explain where I am, before answering the question, as if I were completely unfamiliar with the possibility of tricking myself, it is a little different, than if I have thought about similar things before.

-better? :)

Not only possible, but probable :)

Daenerys said:
Not only possible, but probable :)

Hi folks,

The reason I ask, and keep asking, is not that I didn't get what the opinion is of those, who points to that I must be deceiving myself, if I see that anything can be seen from astrology, (no need to keep repeating) but because I'm trying to figure out what the caution is about.

I think it is rather futile to spend my energy to try to prove anything, as there is no way I could prove that it is as I say, without having you do the study and see for yourselves, and it is rather futile for the ones of you who are certain that I must be deceiving myself, to try to prove anything, as even if you watched me read every book you think I should read instead of wasting my time on my discoveries, that still wouldn't prove anything, as no book in the world has the guarantee of people not being delusional after reading it.

It seems that the answer the question (why the caution) is not so simple. And it seems like not many actually really know, as the answers are not very clear.
I find that when one is sure what one is talking about, it is not difficult to answer a simple question.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one out there who has come to a similar observation, that the 3D existence can be seen from watching the "sky" and wonder why, as it is part of 3D existence that the sky can be read, why is that not part of knowing all there is to know about 3D?, but I'd imagine that most wouldn't want to ask, as not many people enjoy being interrogated by strangers about their psychological state, pressured to stop their study, and instead do what someone else decides serve them best, and clearly be seen as someone who are delusional, and end up not having the question answered any ways, so it was all for nothing.

If it is so, that the belief is, that anybody who have ever noticed that things can be seen in the "sky", and have been able to use astrology, are believing in their own suggestions, and really only want to appear special, then that is very simple to reply to the question as to why the caution. No need for all the rest.

I was wondering, as it seems to me that the ones who are certain that I must be deceiving myself, are not themselves familiar with astrology, and thus it ultimately will come down to opinion, which won't serve anything, except perhaps scaring others from asking the same question,

-Is there anybody who are familiar with astrology, enough to be able to tell the condition of a car before buying it, and enough to have observed how transits and progressions always tell the story of what happens in life, who have then come to the conclusion, that they had been deceiving themselves all those years, and now that they are cured from this condition, they have realized that nothing can be seen, and they just tricked themselves to think so, as they wanted to appear special?

Or anybody who are familiar with astrology as said above, who after doing all suggested things to cure them, still can tell the condition of a car before buying it by astrology, but have understood why this knowledge should not be touched?

Miss K, I am VERY familiar with astrology. I began my study of it in my teens. I'm now 60. In my early 20s, I studied with a professional and learned how to cast charts by hand, exact to the minute in terms of rectified time zone ascendants. Can you do that?

One thing that doing this hands-on mathematical work does is that it brings a really clear awareness of exactly what it is that astrology is mapping and how. Because you do have to learn the orbits of the planets, things like apparent retrograde motion, precession, etc. If you are a curious person, as I am, this will then lead you to studying astronomy proper and spending a lot of time looking at the sky, identifying the constellations by sight, the important stars, keeping track of where the planets are, and so forth.

Then, if you are a curious person, as I was, you will also study mythology to understand the stories behind the figures allegedly portrayed in the constellations. You will want to know the earliest stories, and earlier one, and sources and origins. I'm still working on a lot of that and actually working on a book that reveals a lot more than my last book, The Secret History of the World.

That's just the platform side.

On the "casting and interpreting charts" side, I spent years (over 25, close to 30), playing around with different theories, reading other people's work/charts/predictions/interpretations and more. I did thousands of charts. (I was glad when computer programs would do them, but for a long time I didn't trust them and still checked the time-zone rectifications). Not only did I do those charts, over that almost 30 year period, I had the opportunity to personally observe the life experiences of the individuals the charts were done for. I also did charts for people I knew about in the past to see if there were real indicators in their charts of the events of their lives that had already happened. With a few other astrology inclined friends, we tested things by giving each other un-named charts of someone whose history one of us knew, asking for an interpretation by one who did not know the history (like my grandmother's cousin or something like that, not famous people), and so on and so forth.

At the end of these many years, what I can tell you is this: Using pure astrological theory, the most you can do is derive general tendencies or trends. And even that can be pretty iffy, more like 50-50. I do a better job interpreting a chart by forgetting everything I know about astrology, just staring at the pattern and going into a semi-altered state and start talking about what impressions I get that usually have very little to do with formal theory. I could do the same thing with a random lay-out of playing cards.

There's a lot more that could be said, but I have other things to do. Hope this helps.

Thank you Laura for taking the time to reply, :flowers:

Laura said:
Miss K, I am VERY familiar with astrology. I began my study of it in my teens. I'm now 60. In my early 20s, I studied with a professional and learned how to cast charts by hand, exact to the minute in terms of rectified time zone ascendants. Can you do that?

No, I think I explained that earlier. I have never learned from professionals, and I've never learned the mathematical part.
As Astrology classes are usually expensive, and it has been in the hobby category, other things has always been more urgent to spend money on.

Laura said:
One thing that doing this hands-on mathematical work does is that it brings a really clear awareness of exactly what it is that astrology is mapping and how. Because you do have to learn the orbits of the planets, things like apparent retrograde motion, precession, etc. If you are a curious person, as I am, this will then lead you to studying astronomy proper and spending a lot of time looking at the sky, identifying the constellations by sight, the important stars, keeping track of where the planets are, and so forth.

I have thought that I would like to know Astronomy, but it is very difficult for me to understand the language of mathematicians.
I keep track of the positions of planets on the "fake map" on my computer though, and I have started to be able to identify the constellations by sight, and by that knowing that, that "star" is Mars, and that "star" is Venus.

Laura said:
Then, if you are a curious person, as I was, you will also study mythology to understand the stories behind the figures allegedly portrayed in the constellations. You will want to know the earliest stories, and earlier one, and sources and origins. I'm still working on a lot of that and actually working on a book that reveals a lot more than my last book, The Secret History of the World.
I do study the stories from the Mythology, more than textbook Astrology, but not at all, as deep as you go. (Alice Bailey - The Labors of Hercules will probably be the level of going deep, so only touching the water you dive in) Partly lack of time to read ("day"job requires hands and eyes, and most waken hours, but leaves plenty of time to think) And partly as it is hobby category, so many other things (like reading your books that I'm slowly chewing through) come before, when I have time. (also only started looking at it 10 years ago, and only the last few years have I been able to see when I get the next job and so, -tertiary progressions are good for that, I find) So a short search about a specific archetype, and then a lot of time thinking about what the archetype means and how it shows in "real life" and what it really means (I'm not claiming to know what anything really means, but I can still think a lot about it)

Laura said:
That's just the platform side.

On the "casting and interpreting charts" side, I spent years (over 25, close to 30), playing around with different theories, reading other people's work/charts/predictions/interpretations and more. I did thousands of charts. (I was glad when computer programs would do them, but for a long time I didn't trust them and still checked the time-zone rectifications). Not only did I do those charts, over that almost 30 year period, I had the opportunity to personally observe the life experiences of the individuals the charts were done for. I also did charts for people I knew about in the past to see if there were real indicators in their charts of the events of their lives that had already happened. With a few other astrology inclined friends, we tested things by giving each other un-named charts of someone whose history one of us knew, asking for an interpretation by one who did not know the history (like my grandmother's cousin or something like that, not famous people), and so on and so forth.

At the end of these many years, what I can tell you is this: Using pure astrological theory, the most you can do is derive general tendencies or trends. And even that can be pretty iffy, more like 50-50. I do a better job interpreting a chart by forgetting everything I know about astrology, just staring at the pattern and going into a semi-altered state and start talking about what impressions I get that usually have very little to do with formal theory. I could do the same thing with a random lay-out of playing cards.

There's a lot more that could be said, but I have other things to do. Hope this helps.

I do stare at the chart, looking at the patterns, (I don't know if it is in a semi altered state, never thought about that) sometimes it only takes a moment, and sometimes a while, before meaning emerges. (perhaps it works because I don't know that much about astrology, so there's not much to forget)
I have not at all the same amount of research to see from, as you, but I´d say I have a higher than 50-50, more like 80-20 accuracy in predicting when friends/family start or end relationships, start education, or new job, get very sad about something, or have financial trouble. (often I find that when I'm wrong it is because I overlooked something happening at the same time)
The reason I find it hard to believe that it is due to psychic abilities, is that it is things that are in the chart, and can be explained by the chart, like when Pluto transits 7th house, and people have a relationship that is not very functional, that is usually the time they divorce, (same goes with Uranus, -Neptune can drag on forever, in slow dissolve)
-I know 3 Cancer rising, 2 got divorced (after 12, and 35 years marriage) when Pluto hit their 7th house,(both not very functional marriages) the last one I don't know well, the marriage seems to be fine, but have always seemed very functional, and as I don't know the person that well, I don't know what happens under the surface, or if that person have a new partner at work, with Plutonian qualities.
The last time I got "divorced" I had progressed Venus squaring Pluto (natal, and progressed, as have not moved much)
(of cause it could have been something else than divorce that could have happened instead, but still I find that events will stay within the category of Pluto and 7th house, when Pluto transits 7th house for example) I don't think I'd be able to see that in a deck of cards.

Do you really find by your research, that big things like that are totally random? Have you had times of big changes in your life, where there was no activity to be seen, by transits and progressions?

I think also that one has to take into consideration that not all events are visible. A friend of mine was taking care of a dying family member, who told her shortly before she died, that she had been raped twice in her own home, (by the landlord I think) but had been to embarrassed to ever tell anyone.

I first heard the Wave mentioned, and started looking into Astrology, when transit Uranus entered my natal 9th house, and it's pretty textbook to start new studies that turns everything upside down. But no one except people who know me very well, knows that I have taken up those two studies at that time, and that they turned my life around in many ways, because it is not something I talk about so much, and so someone who knows me like a cousin, might not be able to tell any significance to that in my chart, as I have not travelled or started visible education otherwise in that time.
I have also had "inner events" with no "outside events" that no one knows about, (thoughts/feelings) but have been significant, and are shown by transits and progressions.

Also I'm fairly good at "guessing" (I'd say seeing) dominant energies in peoples birth charts before seeing their chart, I might go "there's something very Venus/Cancer about that person", and it turns out to be a Libra rising, with Moon conjunct Asc. Or something like that, so I'm right though I'm wrong if you understand what I mean.
This I also find hard to believe is random. I don't mean to doubt your research, and as said I've only touched the waters you have dived in, but where as I would agree that Tarot and I Ching are dependent on the state of mind of the caster or the reader (at least for me, they make perfect sense at times and not at all at other times) I find that Astrology works too well for me to grasp how it cannot work. (especially the "when" something happens, as the "what" happens is more open) But it is never at times that nothing big is happening in my chart, that something big happens in my life, or visa versa.
No matter how hard I try, I can't get it down to 50-50 (not knowing exactly what will happen, but roughly within what category, and pretty exactly when)

I'm sorry to drag on, but I'm having some thoughts about why life seem to be mirrored by the "sky" that are embarrassing unscientific, and talking in symbols (or dream language). that I wanted to ask about, now that I'm at it.

When the C's say "we know what will happen cause it already happened" it sounds like everything is a film already recorded, and also cyclical.
This I could imagine is not only all humans, but also each individual (in a way I don't quite grasp). The drawing of an atom, looks a lot like a drawing of the solar system, and it can look like that the reason one can predict by looking at the sky, as well as anything else (like animals in the woods, or cup of coffee, or anything) is that this huge cyclical system (that is apparently much bigger than solar system, if there is this twin Sun, and who knows if that cyclical system, is part of even bigger cyclical system) This cyclical system duplicates parts of it self in smaller and smaller cyclical systems, and this is why "everything" can be seen in "everything" if one looks closely enough. So as something that has already happened is easy to "predict" it is fairly easy to predict that part.
This part is what i call Fate/Destiny (they are the same word in my native language, so I'm not sure what the difference is)

Then we have "the future is open", and "you will do what you will do" and here we have the Free Will that is not so easy to predict, as it has not happened already. And when I saw the youtube video someone posted a while ago, with the theory of the sun moving as well with the planets in a spinning tail after it, (that to me, makes perfect sense, as it both explains the twin Sun theory, and the moving Zodiac.) Then all becomes a spiral instead of a circle, so instead of being locked in a circle, where nothing new can happen, because all have already happened. Then the Free Will slightly changes the cycle so it becomes a spiral.

Taking into consideration that it is kind of symbolic language, and not to be taken literarily , does this sound like something, or complete nonsense?

Miss.K said:
The reason I find it hard to believe that it is due to psychic abilities, is that it is things that are in the chart, and can be explained by the chart, like when Pluto transits 7th house, and people have a relationship that is not very functional, that is usually the time they divorce, (same goes with Uranus, -Neptune can drag on forever, in slow dissolve)

I think you better stick to the psychic abilities explanation because those transits (as well as all the rest) can mean any of several things. And it's usually a coin toss as to which will happen (if there are only two choices). And when none of them happen, then what?

There's a study recounted in "Thinking fast and slow..." where he talks about how our minds really do make up narratives to explain things after the fact and we really, REALLY do, forget what we thought or how we perceived before we suddenly "discovered" that our predictions didn't come true and now we notice that transit or whatever. I think it would do you a lot of good to read that book and take it to heart.

Miss.K said:
-I know 3 Cancer rising, 2 got divorced (after 12, and 35 years marriage) when Pluto hit their 7th house,(both not very functional marriages) the last one I don't know well, the marriage seems to be fine, but have always seemed very functional, and as I don't know the person that well, I don't know what happens under the surface, or if that person have a new partner at work, with Plutonian qualities.

And how many do you know where none of those things happened (even if you do not know their charts)??? You can learn a lot about statistics in "Thinking fast and slow..."

Miss.K said:
The last time I got "divorced" I had progressed Venus squaring Pluto (natal, and progressed, as have not moved much)
(of cause it could have been something else than divorce that could have happened instead, but still I find that events will stay within the category of Pluto and 7th house, when Pluto transits 7th house for example) I don't think I'd be able to see that in a deck of cards.

Pluto is so slow that it transits over years and years. By traditional interpretation, that could also mean relations with the public. What if it is a person in the public eye? Will have an altogether different interpretation. It can also represent recreating the self, the public image, recreating the marriage, blah blah. So which one you gonna pick?

Miss.K said:
Do you really find by your research, that big things like that are totally random? Have you had times of big changes in your life, where there was no activity to be seen, by transits and progressions?

The main things that seem to be operative, and only in a limited sense, are the moon sign and ascendant, sun sign, Jupiter, mercury, in that order, the last being weakest, the first strongest. The Ascendant effect even has some scientific evidence to back it up as being predictive of career.

But these things seem to only affect emotional states. What a person who is awake and aware does, experiences, etc is totally dependent on their own control of state. And if you can control state, you can shape reality. My husband likes to say that every morning he "writes his horoscope for the day" by deciding what he is going to do and what attitude he is going to take. And it's true.

Miss.K said:
I think also that one has to take into consideration that not all events are visible. A friend of mine was taking care of a dying family member, who told her shortly before she died, that she had been raped twice in her own home, (by the landlord I think) but had been to embarrassed to ever tell anyone.

But you have so small a statistical sample and you undoubtedly know many, many people whose chart you do not know and never will know whose lives and experiences will affect the statistical spread of events and "confirmations."

Miss.K said:
<snip>

I'm sorry to drag on, but I'm having some thoughts about why life seem to be mirrored by the "sky" that are embarrassing unscientific, and talking in symbols (or dream language). that I wanted to ask about, now that I'm at it.

You are busy creating narratives. Spend some time reading "Thinking fast and slow..." and "Strangers to ourselves."

Miss.K said:
Taking into consideration that it is kind of symbolic language, and not to be taken literarily , does this sound like something, or complete nonsense?

Have you read the Cs comments on astrology? Have you considered the fact that the numbers of houses has been change, arbitrarily, more than once? What about the fact that the constellations have had different stories attached at different points in history? That planetary placements have had different interpretations at different points in history, all acclaimed as amazingly accurate without taking into account the hundreds, thousands, or millions of people experiencing the exact same influences, transits, placements, etc, which do NOT have the apparent effects you are seeing thinking/explaining after-the-fact?

Astrology originated as the science of predicting whether or not a comet was on an earth crossing orbit and whether or not it would hit, and where. It really is that simple. When comet activity began to die down, but people still believed in "gods in the skies", they began to interpret everything in esoteric terms and astrology as we now know it was created to take the place of formerly very accurate predictions that were life or death matters.

I did horoscopes for all my FIVE children when they were born. They are now all grown and I've observed things their entire lives; kind of a living laboratory for astrology. I have to tell you that I could just as easily have tossed coins.

Thank you Laura, very much.

I have many questions to your reply, but I'll follow suggestions to see which will be answered by doing so first.

Thank you again for your time

Something about astrology and comets I just found.

The Book Of Silk.

_http://the16century.blogspot.com.ar/2009/05/book-of-silk-1st-atlas-of-comets.html

[picture: _http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jzVK41xAUmE/ShluJQEttLI/AAAAAAAAEJw/ZOWFGKX2mA0/s1600-h/main_comets_silk-lg.jpg ]

The Book of Silk is an ancient astronomy book compiled by Chinese astronomers of the Western Han Dynasty (202 BC – 9 AD) and found in the Mawangdui tomb of China in 1973. It lists 29 comets that appeared over a period of about 300 years.

The Book of Silk contains what archaeologists claim is the first definitive atlas of comets. There are roughly 2 dozen renderings of comets, some in fold out/pop-up format. In some cases the pages of the document roll out to be 5 feet long.

Each comet's picture has a caption which describes an event its appearance corresponded to, for example, "the death of the prince," "the coming of the plague," or "the 3 year drought."

And from wiki: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Silk (text almost same as above)

Images from the Chinese astronomers are reproduced in the works of Baillie, Bailey, Clube and Napier.

Laura said:
Images from the Chinese astronomers are reproduced in the works of Baillie, Bailey, Clube and Napier.

Thanks, that's interesting. I couldn't buy those books yet, though I just could read fragments posted in articles.

Back
Top Bottom