Cancer: causes and cures

A lack of sufficient amounts of folic acid to accomplish this task implies a dual threat to your organism.

Thank goodness i've been taking a B-complex, that sounds like it's no bueno.

Re: Electromagnetic radiation and its effect on the brain

There's a new wireless internet that uses visible light instead of microwave electromagnetic spectrum:
_http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/17/chinese-scientists-demonstrate-2mbps-internet-connection-over-le/

LED data transmission used to be all the rage -- we fondly remember beaming Palm Pilot contacts via IrDA. Then we got omni-directional Bluetooth and building-penetrating WiFi, and put all that caveman stuff behind us. But now, scientists the world over are looking to bring back line-of-sight networking, and the latest demonstration has Chinese researchers streaming video to a laptop with naught but ceiling-mounted blue LEDs. The Chinese Academy of Sciences claims to have realized a 2Mbit per second internet connection that transmits data simply by modulating the flicker of the little diodes, and imperceptibly enough to have them serve as room lighting as well. Like Boston University before them, the Chinese scholars see short-range LED networks controlling smart appliances. It's not quite the gigabit speed you'd get from laser diodes, but this way you'll get more mileage out of those expensive new bulbs, eh?

Sure they strobe and that in and of itself could be bad in terms of it being a hypnotic opener, but to those aware of this, it may be a good alternative to wifi and similar brain-frying electromagnetic technologies.

Something interesting Dr. Carolyn Dean recently wrote:

In my study of Total Biology, I learned that cancer can be the
body's attempt to "solve a problem". Usually the problem is some
huge stress that is too much for the mind to "fix", so the solution
is sought in the body. I know that may sound like a lot of
gobbledygook but the premise is that our bodies are highly
intelligent and they've been solving problems for eons.

If a mother is worried about a child who is extremely ill, then her
breast tissue can respond. The breast wants to "nurture the
problem" by increasing milk production (even if the child is long
past weaning). When the danger to her child passes, the breast
tissue breaks down - that's the time when allopathic medicine calls
it cancer. There is obviously much more to it than this simple
explanation but it helps me understand the dynamics of cancer.

So, for all you folks out there, look into ways of reducing your
chemicals and reducing your stress,

I'm thinking that EE will help also with the fight against cancer.

Study: Many Sunscreens May Be Accelerating Cancer

This article also gives a link to the top rated sunscreens for safety and let's just say that mine did NOT fair well!! YIKES!!

One question which I have not researched yet is that our bodies require UVB rays to manufacture Vitamin D correct? If so, would a sunscreen that blocks UVA rays only be better?

http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/19488158

WASHINGTON (May 24) -- Almost half of the 500 most popular sunscreen products may actually increase the speed at which malignant cells develop and spread skin cancer because they contain vitamin A or its derivatives, according to an evaluation of those products released today.

AOL News also has learned through documents and interviews that the Food and Drug Administration has known of the potential danger for as long as a decade without alerting the public, which the FDA denies.

The study was released with Memorial Day weekend approaching. Store shelves throughout the country are already crammed with tubes, jars, bottles and spray cans of sunscreen.

The white goop, creams and ointments might prevent sunburn. But don't count on them to keep the ultraviolet light from destroying your skin cells and causing tumors and lesions, according to researchers at Environmental Working Group.

In their annual report to consumers on sunscreen, they say that only 39 of the 500 products they examined were considered safe and effective to use.

The report cites these problems with bogus sun protection factor (SPF) numbers:
The use of the hormone-disrupting chemical oxybenzone, which penetrates the skin and enters the bloodstream.
Overstated claims about performance.
The lack of needed regulations and oversight by the Food and Drug Administration.

But the most alarming disclosure in this year's report is the finding that vitamin A and its derivatives, retinol and retinyl palmitate, may speed up the cancer that sunscreen is used to prevent.

Re: Sunlight and cancer - turnabout?

Hi suelarue,

I merged your topic to this thread since there is also a discussion of sunscreens here. :)

Odyssey said:
hnd said:
Having a negative opinion about video games, I didn't know what to think about this game at first, but here is a quote from wikipedia:

Study results indicated that playing Re-Mission led to more consistent treatment adherence, faster rate of increase in cancer knowledge, and faster rate of increase in self-efficacy in young cancer patients. These findings were published in August 2008 in the peer-reviewed medical journal Pediatrics. Notably, to ascertain treatment compliance, researches used objective blood tests to measure levels of prescribed chemotherapy in the bodies of study participants rather than subjective self-report questionnaires, and electronic pill-cap monitors were used to determine utilization of prescribed antibiotics. Researches concluded that a carefully designed video game can have a positive impact on health behavior in young people with chronic illness and that video-game–based interventions may constitute a component of a broader integrative approach to healthcare that synergistically combines rationally targeted biological and behavioral interventions to aid patients in the prevention, detection, treatment, and recovery from disease.

And the related link to AAP:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/122/2/e305

Looks like an inventive way to get youngsters to comply with a toxic treatment. The study says it improves behavioral outcomes in the patients but what about their health?

edit: spelling

You may be right,Odyssey. I'm not informed much about the subject, but having had a ex- coworker who overcame cancer after having chemotherapy and led by the impression that it is most of the time an indispensible way to treat the disease, no matter how harmful it is, I thought the project can be a good idea for some people, but you may be right.

I am in a state of panic.

I dont know if you guys remember reading this in the wave.

The next excerpt is the most interesting. It is a from a Bioelectromagnetics Research Laboratory,paper first presented at a workshop to discuss possible biological and health effects of Radio Frequency Electromagnetic waves. The workshop was held by the Department of Bioengineering at the University of Washington, Seattle. The paper was later presented to "Mobile Phones and Health, Symposium," October 25-28, 1998, University of Vienna, Austria. What they are talking about here is the effects of cell phone towers and the use of cell phones and pagers, etc:

...We carried out a series of experiments to investigate the effect of RFR exposure on neurotransmitters in the brain of the rat. The main neurotransmitter we investigated was acetylcholine, a ubiquitous chemical in the brain involved in numerous physiological and behavioral functions.

We found that exposure to RFR for 45 min decreased the activity of acetylcholine in various regions of the brain of the rat, particularly in the frontal cortex and hippocampus. Further study showed that the response depends on the duration of exposure. Shorter exposure time (20 min) actually increased, rather than decreasing the activity. Different brain areas have different sensitivities to RFR with respect to cholinergic responses [Lai et al., 1987b, 1988b, 1989a,b].

In addition, repeated exposure can lead to some rather long lasting changes in the system: the number of acetylcholine receptors increase or decrease after repeated exposure to RFR to 45 min and 20 min sessions, respectively [Lai et al., 1989a].

Changes in acetylcholine receptors are generally considered to be a compensatory response to repeated disturbance of acetylcholine activity in the brain. Such changes alter the response characteristic of the nervous system. Other studies have shown that endogenous opioids are also involved in the effect of RFR on acetylcholine [Lai et al., 1986b, 1991, 1992b, 1996].

Since acetylcholine in the frontal cortex and hippocampus is involved in learning and memory functions, we carried out experiments to study whether exposure to RFR affects these behavioral functions in the rat. Two types of memory functions: spatial 'working' and 'reference' memories were investigated.

Acetylcholine in the brain, especially in the hippocampus, is known to play an important role in these behavioral functions. In the first experiment, 'working' memory (short-term memory) was studied using the 'radial arm maze'. This test is very easy to understand. Just imagine you are shopping in a grocery store with a list of items to buy in your mind. After picking up the items, at the check out stand, you find that there is one chicken at the top and another one at the bottom of your shopping cart. You had forgotten that you had already picked up a chicken at the beginning of your shopping spree and picked up another one later. This is a failure in short-term memory and is actually very common in daily life and generally not considered as being pathological. A distraction or a lapse in attention can affect short-term memory.

This analogy is similar to the task in the radial-arm maze experiment. The maze consists of a circular center hub with arms radiating out like the spokes of a wheel. Rats are allowed to pick up food pellets at the end of each arm of the maze. There are 12 arms in our maze, and each rat in each testing session is allowed to make 12 arm entries. Reentering an arm is considered to be a memory deficit. The results of our experiment showed that after exposure to RFR, rats made significantly more arm re-entries than unexposed rats [Lai et al., 1994].

This is like finding two chickens, three boxes of table salt, and two bags of potatoes in your shopping cart.

In another experiment, we studied the effect of RFR exposure on 'reference' memory (long-term memory) [Wang and Lai, submitted for publication]. Performance in a water maze was investigated. In this test, a rat is required to locate a submerged platform in a circular water pool. It is released into the pool, and the time taken for it to land on the platform is recorded. Rats were trained in several sessions to learn the location of the platform. The learning rate of RFR-exposed rats was slower, but, after several learning trials, they finally caught up with the control (unexposed) rats (found the platform as fast). However, the story did not end here. After the rats had learned to locate the platform, in a last session, the platform was removed and rats were released one at a time into the pool. We observed that unexposed rats, after being released into the pool, would swim around circling the area where the platform was once located, whereas RFR-exposed rats showed more random swimming patterns.

To understand this, let us consider another analogy. If I am going to sail from the west coast of the United States to Australia. I can learn to read a map and use instruments to locate my position, in latitude and longitude, etc. However, there is an apparently easier way: just keep sailing southwest. But, imagine, if I sailed and missed Australia. In the first case, if I had sailed using maps and instruments, I would keep on sailing in the area that I thought where Australia would be located hoping that I would see land. On the other hand, if I sailed by the strategy of keeping going southwest, and missed Australia, I would not know what to do. Very soon, I would find myself circumnavigating the globe.

Thus, it seems that unexposed rats learned to locate the platform using cues in the environment (like using a map from memory), whereas RFR-exposed rats used a different strategy (perhaps, something called 'praxis learning', i.e., learning of a certain sequence of movements in the environment to reach a certain location. It is less flexible and does not involve cholinergic systems in the brain).

Thus, RFR exposure can completely alter the behavioral strategy of an animal in finding its way in the environment.

...What is significant is that the effects persist for sometime after RFR exposure. If I am reading a book and receive a call from a mobile phone, it probably will not matter if I cannot remember what I has just read. However, the consequence would be much serious, if I am an airplane technician responsible for putting screws and nuts on airplane parts. A phone call in the middle of my work can make me forget and miss several screws. Another adverse scenario of short-term memory deficit is that a person may overdose himself on medication because he has forgotten that he has already taken the medicine.

Lastly, I like to briefly describe the experiments we carried out to investigate the effects of RFR on DNA in brain cells of the rat. We [Lai and Singh 1995, 1996; Lai et al., 1997] reported an increase in DNA single and double strand breaks, two forms of DNA damage, in brain cells of rats after exposure to RFR. DNA damages in cells could have an important implication on health because they are cumulative. Normally, DNA is capable of repairing itself efficiently. Through a homeostatic mechanism, cells maintain a delicate balance between spontaneous and induced DNA damage. DNA damage accumulates if such a balance is altered. Most cells have considerable ability to repair DNA strand breaks; for example, some cells can repair as many as 200,000 breaks in one hour. However, nerve cells have a low capability for DNA repair and DNA breaks could accumulate. Thus, the effect of RFR on DNA could conceivably be more significant on nerve cells than on other cell types of the body.

Cumulative damages in DNA may in turn affect cell functions. DNA damage that accumulates in cells over a period of time may be the cause of slow onset diseases, such as cancer. ...Cumulative damage in DNA in cells also has been shown during aging. Particularly, cumulative DNA damage in nerve cells of the brain has been associated with neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and Parkinson's diseases.

Since nerve cells do not divide and are not likely to become cancerous, more likely consequences of DNA damage in nerve cells are changes in functions and cell death, which could either lead to or accelerate the development of neurodegenerative diseases. Double strand breaks, if not properly repaired, are known to lead to cell death. Indeed, we have observed an increase in apoptosis (a form of cell death) in cells exposed to RFR (unpublished results).

However, another type of brain cells, the glial cells, can become cancerous, resulting from DNA damage. This type of response, i.e., genotoxicity at low and medium cumulative doses and cell death at higher doses, would lead to an inverted-U response function in cancer development and may explain recent reports of increase [Repacholi et al., 1997], decrease [Adey et al., 1996], and no significant effect [Adey et al., 1997] on cancer rate of animals exposed to RFR.

Understandably, it is very difficult to define and judge what constitute low, medium, and high cumulative doses of RFR exposure, since the conditions of exposure are so variable and complex in real life situations.

Interestingly, RFR-induced increases in single and double strand DNA breaks in rat brain cells can be blocked by treating the rats with melatonin ... [Lai and Singh, 1997]. Since it is a potent free radical scavenger, this data suggest that free radicals may play a role in the genetic effect of RFR. [Lai and Singh, 1998].

Ok, I have a wireless router in my room. It has been there all year long so when I come home and when I am in my room I am always within acouple of meters of it.

Of late I realised I am having short term memory issues. I forget what I read pretty quick. Ok, this might be normal. What is not normal is that, acouple of days ago, whilst I was eating my daily meals, I kept on picking 2 forks. So I pick the 1st fork, I forget, pick the 2nd fork. Go to the table, start eating then notice I have 2 forks instead of one. Ok, this happened twice.... Also, friends have noticed that I have a tendency to zone out. I can be there, but not there. This happens almost involuntarily. Like for example acouple of weeks ago, I am watching a movie with a friend, something is said in the movie and my friend asks me about it. I am surprised I dont remember this being said. He stops the DVD goes back acouple of seconds to the end of the last scene and there it is, being said. Also in conversations, sometimes they have to say the same thing a number of times for me to register it in my mind.

This was not at home. This was when I was away. Ok, so I have a longstanding, shortterm memory issue that pops up from time to time. Should I be worried? What are the implications of this?

Also the Cs say this

Q: (L) What do these microwaves do to the individual?
A: Contour brain cell structure.
Q: (L) Do they emit a signal continuously, or only when they are being used?
A: Wave cycle low to high.
Q: (L) Well, that's not good. How close does the pager have to be to you to have this effect?
A: Four meters. Cell phones too and television and computer screens can be transmitted through thusly.
Q: (L) When you say 'contouring brain cell structure,' what would be evidence or results of such effects?
A: Increasingly narrow outlooks and being unable to employ discriminatory thinking. Q: (L) Confusion?
A: No. Just lack of depth and breadth to one's mental and psychic abilities.
Q: (A) Now, about pagers... we were told that pagers emit some radiation which can be detrimental up to a distance of four meters. As far as I understand a pager is a passive device, a receiver. It is not emitting anything. How can a pager be detrimental?
A: Microwave "bounce effect."
Q: (A) So, they bounce from the receiver... I see.
A: Cell phones too.
Q: (L) Is there any kind of device that we can build or purchase that can emit a blocking signal?
A: Knowledge protects.

Ok ontop of the wireless router, I also have some other techno gizmos like a cellphone, not to mention the computer..

So I notice the bolded effect on me. Not recent, but long term. I realize m body is suffering on a cellular level because of all of this gadgets. What do they mean by knowledge protects in this instance? What can I do to protect myself?

I cannot remove the wireless router from my room as well that will be an all-mighty battle ground with the parents... There is no other place in the house for it. My room is used as a study when I am not in, which is the case for nearly half the year.

No use fretting over what you can't control... I don't know where you live, but in lots of big cities there is nowhere you can go where you aren't in a wifi zone.

Turn your cell phone off when you are not using it, and start working on the parts of your machine you have some control over, i.e., dietary changes, EE breathing, healthy mental input such as the books from the recommended reading list.

Ok, sorry I just realised something else with relation to what the Cs say.

"Increasingly narrow outlooks and being unable to employ discriminatory thinking.".

When I was back in highschool. I used to be amongst the best in my year in mathematics. I never saw a grade less than 70%.

Occassionally the school would give us critical thnking maths based tests which were not compulsary. Ok, the nature of the test is not to examine you on how good you are on implementing a particular maths technique. It is more testing how critically you can think. So the nature of the problems are simple but they are designed in such a way as to deceive so the test is in critical thinking to spot this deception and come up with the right answer. I did this test right before I left highschool just as a game.. A joke.

Ok, when the results come out. I notice everyone is pretty much where they are expected to be. The guys who were good at maths in the normal sense, did ok in the test. The guys that sucked at maths did badly. Ok so there is a correlation between ones maths ability and how they perform in the test. Ok, this was not my case. I completely and totally flanked the test - I think I did the 2nd worst in my whole class. So much so that my maths teacher was at a loss to explain it. What happened is I and she shoved it under the rag and I continued as if nothing was the matter. Anyways I was good at what counted, what was examinable.

Ok, so I clearly lack this ability that the Cs describe. I am just surprised that I am an anomoly compared to where others are. This was like 3 yrs ago that I did this test. Ok, I also did another one, for a company, and I did not do to good. They said they didnt think I was at an acceptable level. Ok, weird, I do maths, I understand the techniques, I can apply them. I do exams and I am not a failure in the exams. Ok, when it comes to this critical thinking side exams and I am for a lack of a better word, illiterate.

Is this something to do with diet, exposure to damaging signals eg mobile phones or something totally different??

I have the same exposure to this signals as pretty much everyone else and I think my diet throughout my life has been average. Pretty much same as those around me. So why is there such a huge discrepancy on my part?? Why am I such an anomoly in that my patterns dont correlate, my ability to do maths and my critical thinking capabilities? They are like opposite. One is ok if not above average while the other is well below the acceptable line.

Ok I have also done multiple IQ tests and my IQ is between the 120-130 range which is pretty average. So why is it that I am cursed with below average, almost illiterate abilities when it comes to critical thinking???????? Something is wrong and I dont know the implications. Where can I get answers?

Edit: IQ tests.

Patience said:
No use fretting over what you can't control... I don't know where you live, but in lots of big cities there is nowhere you can go where you aren't in a wifi zone.

Turn your cell phone off when you are not using it, and start working on the parts of your machine you have some control over, i.e., dietary changes, EE breathing, healthy mental input such as the books from the recommended reading list.

Luke,

Patience makes a good point here, there is no sense worrying about something you can't control. He's right, the C's have suggested (in some recent session, I believe) that detox is one of the best ways to avoid some of the biggest damages from EMF radiation. On top of that, they've also mentioned that wearing silk can be of help in some cases too. If you do a forum search on "silk" you should turn up some info on that.

As far as the wifi in your immediate surroundings, just turn off your cell phone when you're not using it (in some cases removing the battery might be necessary). If you use a laptop with a cat-5 jack, you can likely run a line from your router to the laptop directly and then disable the wifi in the settings on the router. It might be possible to just bypass the router entirely and plug directly into your modem (or however you get internet). If you do this, be sure to disable wireless on your laptop too.

There's some great suggestions here. On the note of silk, you could consider a silk doona/duvet, which would offer some protection while sleeping. Perhaps you can place the router as far from your bed as possible, and the bed as far as possible.

Is the wifi used by the entire family? You could print out the interview mentioned at the beginning of this thread and show your family. If the info is coming from a retired British military scientist, they're more likely to take it seriously than if it were from a conspiracy theorist blogger, for example.

luke wilson said:
Ok I have also done multiple IQ tests and my IQ is between the 120-130 range which is pretty average. So why is it that I am cursed with below average, almost illiterate abilities when it comes to critical thinking???????? Something is wrong and I dont know the implications. Where can I get answers?

Edit: IQ tests.

Wow Luke. You really do get worked up easy. I'm sitting beside a wireless router at home right now, and I sit in a wi-fi enabled building nine hours a day, five days a week. As others said, don't worry about things you have no control over. As for your critical thinking skills, well shoot, you never had to use them, remember? Your parents made all your decisions and you were always told what to do, so it's no wonder you can't think for yourself. Chill out dude. :cool2:

Not to rub salt in a wound, but you're asking other people to give you answers again. I can't back a car up in a straight line to save my soul, nor can I seem to grasp, no matter how many people explain it to me, the rules of football. Do I have below average intellilgence? OMG!! :scared:

Now you see how silly this sounds. Have you read any Gurdjieff? He encourages people to practice self-remembering which could help you deal with your dissociation. And, are you working on your diet, doing the detox? Could be a big factor there.

Bottom line Luke, nobody can give you hard and fast answers to questions about why-am-I-this and how-can-I-stop being-that. Why don't you stop worrying about yourself and start to try and make a difference to/about someone/thing else outside of you. Volunteer your time for something. Go read to old people (just kidding, I remember you don't like to read).

You may just find some of that fear going away as you get more confidence in yourself.

Thanks mrs peel.

mrs p said:
Why don't you stop worrying about yourself and start to try and make a difference to/about someone/thing else outside of you. Volunteer your time for something.

Oh, I'd love to do this.....

Am I self-centered??? No, ok maybe alittle bit! I just worry alot! I should stop doing this. I worry about other things outside myself also! :-[

mrs p said:
nor can I seem to grasp, no matter how many people explain it to me, the rules of football.

If you mean american football. You are not alone. I do not understand the rules to that aswell. They have way to many rules in that game in my opinion.

luke wilson said:
Ok ontop of the wireless router, I also have some other techno gizmos like a cellphone, not to mention the computer..

So I notice the bolded effect on me. Not recent, but long term. I realize m body is suffering on a cellular level because of all of this gadgets. What do they mean by knowledge protects in this instance? What can I do to protect myself?

I cannot remove the wireless router from my room as well that will be an all-mighty battle ground with the parents... There is no other place in the house for it. My room is used as a study when I am not in, which is the case for nearly half the year.

There are a few things you can do to protect yourself. In my humble opinion, I wouldn't flat out say "Don't worry about it" but perhaps "Don't panic." :)

For your cell phone, you can use a hands free *wired* headset (no bluetooth obviously), and keep the phone resting on a table while you talk, instead of in contact with your skull. Whenever my phone is not in use, I toss it to the far end of my room instead of in my pocket next to the reproductive organs. My phone stays on at night for emergencies, but I keep it in the farthest corner of the room possible from my head.

As for the wifi router - I am wondering if you have both a wifi router & a modem (sometimes they come as all-in-one box). If they are separate, you could consider getting a long ethernet cable to be able to put the wifi somewhere else (even a bathroom cupboard or mounted on a hall ceiling perhaps?). No need to start war with the parents, but a little creativity can go a long ways in these situations. :)

3D Student said:
Thank you for the podcast E, I listened to it yesterday on my way to work. What is shocking is when Barrie said that you are in essence cooking yourself in a microwave if you make a call in a car :shock:. It's kind of ironic because I made a call in my car as I was listening to the podcast, and a few minutes later he said that. I left my phone in my car instead of carrying it around in my pocket like usual.

But I'm not sure about this:

dant said:
I seem to recall that it is not enough to turn off
the cell or some devices, as some devices are
still running while the battery is still in place?

Because Barrie seemed to say that if it's not transmitting or receiving calls it's ok:

JCW:

Really, so if you switch off that cell phone, not put it on silent, but if you switch it off, presumably, then it’s okay because it’s switched off?

BT:

Yes.

and:

JCW:

My three year old boy plays games on my cell phone daily. Is it safe for him to continue or should I stop him?

BT:

If the cell phone is just being used like a simple calculator for games, there is no problem. If it is transmitting somewhere then there is a problem.

I also didn't understand the part about the radio. I listen to my car radio usually. But aren't radio waves less harmful than microwaves? How does a radio wave turn into a microwave when in a car? :huh:

JCW:

Will car radios have the same effect on you, turning a car into a microwave, if I turn on my car radio? Is that a problem?

BT:
You should never , ever have microwave radiation inside a car, not ever. Never ever.

I've always carried my cell phone in my pocket. But for some months now I have it turned off. But if it's true that only when transmitting or receiving does it produce radiation then it shouldn't be a problem, osit. I really only use it as a clock, and infrequent calls if I need to contact home or someone at work.

I believe all references to the "radio in the car" were about bluetooth enabled cell phones. Many modern car radios are equipped with integrated bluetooth capability for ease of use. So, I'm guessing it is likely that in many cases, simply turning on the radio could activate bluetooth in the car, which according to the author is the worst possible place to do so.

As for satellite radio also mentioned earlier, I don't know, but isn't it a subscription only service? Doesn't the base unit in the car have to send a signal all the way to the satellite to communicate that you are an authorized user, which channels are allowed, etc.?

Also, in the interview, it was mentioned:
JCW:

Barrie, just a quick question, is it safer not to keep your cell phone next to your bed when you go to sleep at night?

BT:

Oh, absolutely! What happens, if you have your cell phone next to your bed, it is emitting microwaves if it is on standby. The microwaves go into the body and they influence a chemical known as melatonin. The melatonin goes around the body at night mopping up cancer cells that we can produce every day, so if your cell phone is on beside your bed when you are sleeping, which is the most dangerous time of the day, when you wake up, your immune system can be 40% less effective than when you went to bed.

This to me is a direct contradiction to "It's ok for kids to play games on cell phones." Because certainly, the cell phone is doing such things as it is doing even while games are being played. Many cell phones, even the cheaper ones, now have an "airplane mode" which disable the radio chips from operating. I would suggest only letting children play games when that mode is enabled. I did find the contradiction rather strange though.

Vulcan59 said:
Thanks for the explanation drygol. :) By the way, if you haven't read it yet, below is an article about Wifi utility meters. Was surprised to find out that it had been implemented in New Zealand as well. :scared:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/207400-The-Scandal-of-PG-E-s-New-Meters

I live in California, and PG&E has been hassling me about smart meters for over 6 months now. There is a large resistance to their installation in this area. In fact, the guy that they sent to my door to install it was telling me not to and that it was OK! I couldn't believe it, so I said, "OK, I say No." He told me that on some days, only 5 or 6 people total would allow him to switch them out. Since then, I have received 1 automated phone call a month reminding me, and several mailings - but nowhere does it ever say that I *must* do this. Only that they will stop reading the meter (I'll gladly phone it in lol).

Also, I don't believe the smart meters operate on wifi frequencies. The literature I received referred to "regular cellular transmissions to PG&E"

I did a little research, and found some interesting info:

_http://planetthrive.com/2010/06/smart-meters/

In this article, a lady in my part of the country also went around with an RF detector, and found that smart meters were giving off dangerously high levels of radiation every few seconds. She later brings up a good related point:

Along with the Smart Meter roll-out, which provides a great deal of income for PG&E and its computer industry partners, Wi-Max (high-powered wi-fi antennas that reach across 38 square miles) and Broadband Over Power (wi-fi that comes in on your housing electrical wiring, and makes your entire home a strong field of RF radiation) are also being rolled out across the country. Wi-Max is a multi-billion dollar collaboration between Sprint, Clearwire, Time Warner, Cable, Google and others which would blanket the country in a dangerously high level of radiation.

Wi-max has been in the works for 15 years now - it is touted as the ultimately broadband solution for rural areas, and is being use in many markets already around the world. Intel started building Wimax capability into all it's processors 10 years ago iirc.

Broadband over power made me think of my own low level research into RF frequencies when I lived in Cincinnati. I too, had a very basic detector, and what I found was really odd. Quite literally, in a 5-7 mile section of central Cincinnati, *everything* gave off maximum detection levels. Every wall I touched in my apartment, even tables and chairs. First I thought I was bugged, then I thought it was malfunctioning, then I set out on a mission to replicate the results. And I couldn't do it - anywhere I went. Yet everywhere in that particular part of the city, every solid object (even my car!) was emanating something to make the meter go nuts.

So just now I googled "Broadband over Power" and "Cincinnati" and sure enough...from 2004: _http://www.slate.com/id/2097131

Slate said:
[...]Current Communications figured out a way to transmit Internet signals along another frequency—it won't disclose which, other than to say it's somewhere between 1.7 megahertz and 30 megahertz—and to comply with FCC regulations that the signal not interfere with other transmissions. And last month, the FCC ruled that BPL systems could go forward, clearing a major regulatory hurdle.

[...]Current Communications and Cinergy, the Cincinnati utility that's providing the electrical grid for the service, tested the system for a year in 100 of the city's households. In addition to the 16,000 homes currently eligible for the service, they plan to offer it to 55,000 homes by the end of the year.

So it just makes me wonder if the two things are related somehow, or what frequency pollution effects Wimax and BOP may really have with their pervasive and long reaching signals.

As for the actual frequencies of the Smart meters, it was hard to track down. This is from the EMF Safety Network

_http://emfsafetynetwork.org/?page_id=872
[...]Smart Meters are radio transmitters, sending radiofrequency radiation (RF) signals from both electric and gas meters. The electric meter has two transmitters. One RF signal is sent directly into your home (or business), and the other to a neighborhood data collector, which could be located on a lamppost, telephone pole, building or a home. Homes will also be used as repeaters for neighborhood RF signals.

[...]PG&E has been unable to give us a consistent, believable, straight answer about how often the meters transmit RF, or what the instantaneous peak power of the RF signal is at certain distances. They do not know what the RF exposure levels will be for a home with multiple meters installed. They claim the meters transmit RF six times a day, or they say once an hour. Other RF experts have measured RF transmissions every 45 seconds. Why is PG&E hiding the numbers? Do they know what they are doing?

This article expounds a little more on the RF dangers of Smart Meters and how it may add unwanted frequencies to all the wiring throughout your entire house:

_http://www.teensturninggreen.org/get-involved/say-no-to-smart-meters.html
ut by far the most dangerous aspect is the way these wireless meters put our health at risk! This kind of microwave pulsing works differently than more-continuous cell phone radiation, and it’s much more dangerous.

[...]The transmitting smart meters also typically add additional high frequencies directly onto home and building wiring. This additional high-frequency load is then re-radiated throughout the interior space. Scientific studies are finding that such high frequencies on building wiring are related to a host of health problems

And then finally I found the actual frequency the meters are using from _http://www.justaskholly.com/?p=125

Smart Meters will be sending a strong signal into our homes at frequencies in two bandwidths of 900-915 megahertz. These wireless signals penetrate walls and pervade our entire home environment, traveling along electrical wiring, metal plumbing, metal fencing, box springs, and so on. Besides communicating with your appliances, they will be communicating with the outside network of meters and a cell site or wireless antenna in your neighborhood.

I believe that 900 Mhz is similar to older GSM cell phone frequencies, as well as older cordless phones, iirc. I also found that the GE Smart Meters are going up in Michigan this year, using solely WiMax for transmission. The last article I was able to find seemed to indicate that there is an ongoing debate between whether or not to use RF or cellular to transmit the data.

_http://www.smartgridnews.com/artman/publish/Technologies_Communications_News/Smart-Grid-Technology-Cellular-Emerges-As-Viable-Communications-Choice-2300.html

Last fall, it installed 10,000 smart meters in various parts of its service territory (including many different terrains). The meters were from GE and Elster. The communications modules were from SmartSynch. The cellular service was provided by AT&T. The system reads the meters at 15-minute intervals, provides remote connect and disconnect, and makes real-time notification of outages...

[...]Some of you may be wondering how cellular meters provide near 100% success, while cellular phones still suffer from spotty coverage. A typical smart meter communications module has a larger, more sophisticated antenna, and at least twice the power of a cell phone.

[...]In talking to the cellular carriers themselves, they seem to have aspirations to eventually compete with ZigBee, allowing direct cellular connections to a variety of devices inside the home. That latter scenario seems unlikely in the next couple of years, but watch this space. With cellular carriers set to roll out next-generation technologies next year, and to manufacture hundreds of millions of cell phones with the new chips, prices could eventually come down so low that it will make financial sense to build a tiny cell receiver inside smart appliances.

No signs of slowing down, that's for sure! If anyone is interested more in the companies behind SmartMeters, I don't know what to do with it, but I found a complete list: _http://www.abiresearch.com/research/1002878-Smart+Meters+for+Smart+Grids

SAO said:
There's a new wireless internet that uses visible light instead of microwave electromagnetic spectrum:
_http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/17/chinese-scientists-demonstrate-2mbps-internet-connection-over-le/

LED data transmission used to be all the rage -- we fondly remember beaming Palm Pilot contacts via IrDA. Then we got omni-directional Bluetooth and building-penetrating WiFi, and put all that caveman stuff behind us. But now, scientists the world over are looking to bring back line-of-sight networking, and the latest demonstration has Chinese researchers streaming video to a laptop with naught but ceiling-mounted blue LEDs. The Chinese Academy of Sciences claims to have realized a 2Mbit per second internet connection that transmits data simply by modulating the flicker of the little diodes, and imperceptibly enough to have them serve as room lighting as well. Like Boston University before them, the Chinese scholars see short-range LED networks controlling smart appliances. It's not quite the gigabit speed you'd get from laser diodes, but this way you'll get more mileage out of those expensive new bulbs, eh?

Sure they strobe and that in and of itself could be bad in terms of it being a hypnotic opener, but to those aware of this, it may be a good alternative to wifi and similar brain-frying electromagnetic technologies.

My instincts tell me that for some reason this may not be any better. Millions of mini strobe lights blinking thousands of times per second...it does sound like an interesting way to "visualize" a live data stream, but if the CFLs and other artificial lights give off harmful frequencies, one could only imagine how our brains would interpret that many strobes a second...or what state it would be put into...or more importantly - whether or not anyone will bother to check before releasing this as a publicly available technology. Honestly the first thing I thought of was the recent TV series Dollhouse, in which they use ultra-high pulsed blue beams of light to literally "upload" a personality or "wipe and replace" memories from the subject. Pure fiction I know, but it was just too weird to see that they are now actually using pulses of blue beams of light for data transmission. :D

I think it's time to go put silk on my shopping wish list lol.

Lastly, I found some really interesting videos on these types of radiation as it relates to DNA alteration and other topics. They seem well done, but I haven't had time to watch them all the way through yet. Here is one quote about one of them from an article released just 2 weeks ago, and how it relates to the "Smart Meters":

_http://www.ptreyeslight.com/Point_Reyes_Light/Home/Entries/2010/7/1_Smart_meter_concerns_PG&E_says_wattever.html
Smart meters, which look similar to older power meters, will form a mesh network, relaying data from one house to the next until the signal reaches an access point, typically mounted on a utility pole. One house could be the conduit for data from thousands of homes in the neighborhood before it reaches the access point, which Brangan claims creates enough cumulative radiation to pose a serious health risk. “When those frequencies pass through your cells, they disrupt them on the DNA level and you see double-strand breaks, which are impossible for the body to repair,” she said. Brangan produced “Public Exposure: DNA, Democracy and the Wireless Revolution”, a documentary about the effects of radio and electromagnetic frequencies on human beings.

The University of Washington, Seattle conducted a study in 1996 that showed DNA disruption in rat brain cells after exposure to massive doses of radiofrequency and electromagnetic radiation. These DNA disruptions, which break apart the double-helix, can cause brain tumors to form.

“The concern is that these things equate to cell phone towers times ten, and that the ambient electromagnetic and radio wave fields that will come out as a result of having these things at every house running constantly is an unforeseen health risk,” said Fairfax Mayor Lew Tremaine in an interview last month. “For people who are sensitive to electromagnetic radiation, it’s going to be a living nightmare.” Tremaine supports the Fairfax Town Council’s request for a statewide moratorium on the installation of smart meters.

The documentary mentioned can be viewed here in two parts: _http://electromagnetichealth.org/watch-videos/

Talk about a frequency fence...sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom