Candida- The Silent Epidemic

Actually, it looks like when you switch over to fat-burning (lipolysis, or "nutritional ketosis"), yeast overgrowth issues may resolve themselves. I am sure it would depend to some degree on the individual, and it might not work if you retain dairy in your diet. It would appear that the underlying cause of yeast overgrowth could very well be overconsumption of carbohydrates. I don't know if we have any references for this yet, but it seems to be working for people here that have changed their diet.

I guess we didn't really discuss that here in this topic. The discussion moved over to the "Life without bread" topic instead, sometime in mid-2011.

This may not be the most appropriate place to post this on the forum. If not, then I apologize for sticking my query on here.

However, I was looking for some guidance and advice about the Candida diet. I have been navigating the immense amount of information and plans online and there is quite a lot of contradictory information about certain aspects of the do's and don'ts.

I did undertake the Candida diet 22 years ago. There was no internet then and not a lot of information about it. I followed the plan given to me by a homeopath/osteopath I was seeing at the time. However, I remember that then I was able to eat soda bread and other wholemeal flour products provided there was no additional sugar or yeast added. I also switched form normal milk to unsweetened soya milk etc. I was on it for about 6 months and of course felt amazing after the initial detox and withdrawal from sugar had been completed.

I feel that I need to go on it again after all this time because I have been having ongoing hospital treatment/operations and antibiotics for a gynecological problem. My thyroid functioning has now become compromised and is now 'sub-clinical under-active' as a result of all the hormone treatment.

However, I am now a bit daunted as to where to start as its all changed now and seems to be more like the Atkins diet with an elimination of all carbohydrates and gluton. I have also read about the two week elimination phase to start the diet which is even stricter, which I did not do before. Some information also says that in the non strict phase, you can have soya milk as an alternative to dairy and some do not. There is also speculation about lactose free cows milk and cheese and whether this can be used as an alternative in the diet.

It is all confusing me now and I thought I could just follow my old diet plan from 20 odd years ago as this worked for me then. Either way, it is not going to be easy, as I am a pescatarian anyway and eat no animal meat.

Can anyone offer any definitive guidance on this, It would be most appreciated.

Debworthy said:
Can anyone offer any definitive guidance on this, It would be most appreciated.

Hi Debworthy,

There is a thread in this forum called "Life Without Bread". I think you will find it very useful and informative.

I am new to this website and think I am suffering from candida in my esoph and lungs. My voice has been hoarse now for three weeks. My right lung now hurts, sore throat, coughing. I just KNOW that I have systemic candida and maybe low thyroid. Where do I start? GI or Pulmonologist or none since they always poo poo the candida issue. I am in Tampa.
Thanks

didi768 said:

I am new to this website and think I am suffering from candida in my esoph and lungs. My voice has been hoarse now for three weeks. My right lung now hurts, sore throat, coughing. I just KNOW that I have systemic candida and maybe low thyroid. Where do I start? GI or Pulmonologist or none since they always poo poo the candida issue. I am in Tampa.
Thanks

You could start with the two posts prior to yours, here in this topic. Diet appears to play a huge role in all sorts of health problems, although the only way you can know how it affects you personally is to change yours.

Debworthy and didi768, have you both read this entire thread? If not, it would probably be a good place for both of you to start. As Psyche mentioned, the Life Without Bread thread is another good resource, and the Ketogenic Diet thread is an expansion of that.

Also, welcome to both of you to the forum :) If you decide to stick around, it would be great if you could give a short, general introduction on the Newbies board!

I have fought candida for 35 years researching and going to so many docs and spending huge amounts of money for a cure. 2 months of diflucan really made my candida better but coming off it has been worse since. I am now on Nystatin 1/8 3x daily and see some progress. I am also still taking my oregano oil and ADP pills at meal time. I alternate that with GSE. For die off I am taking bi-carb and it works. I am following my docs suggestions. Fortunately she does not like diflucan. In my case, diflucan caused me a lot of issues, sick, digestion was a real issue, and pain in my right side. All blood tests came back negative. My new doc wants me to do a metagenics test to see if I still have a whip worm. I did take Vermox twice to kill it. No more chinese resturants. I am doing the detox sauna, coffee enemas and phyllium with bentonite. Doc does approve of all the things I am doing and I am fortunate.
Question, does taking oregano oil de-activate Nystatin in any way of help it. My doc okd the use and loves Nystatin and has had huge success. I still have a coated tongue. I am persisting on the quest to get well with the Lords help.
Any suggestion

happy jeeper said:
I have fought candida for 35 years researching and going to so many docs and spending huge amounts of money for a cure. 2 months of diflucan really made my candida better but coming off it has been worse since. I am now on Nystatin 1/8 3x daily and see some progress. I am also still taking my oregano oil and ADP pills at meal time. I alternate that with GSE. For die off I am taking bi-carb and it works. I am following my docs suggestions. Fortunately she does not like diflucan. In my case, diflucan caused me a lot of issues, sick, digestion was a real issue, and pain in my right side. All blood tests came back negative. My new doc wants me to do a metagenics test to see if I still have a whip worm. I did take Vermox twice to kill it. No more chinese resturants. I am doing the detox sauna, coffee enemas and phyllium with bentonite. Doc does approve of all the things I am doing and I am fortunate.
Question, does taking oregano oil de-activate Nystatin in any way of help it. My doc okd the use and loves Nystatin and has had huge success. I still have a coated tongue. I am persisting on the quest to get well with the Lords help.
Any suggestion

Paleo diet and then moving into keto diet. It starves the candida. There are two threads on those topics in the diet and health section: "Life Without Bread" and "Ketogenic Diet..." Read LWB first and then to KD. You will learn about the experiences of many people changing their diet, what glitches or problems to watch out for, how to solve tricky situations. In short, read it before you do it - you can skim through a lot and just focus on the meaty posts with lots of info.

There's an older gentleman in my office who has been feeling under the weather for months. He's been to doctor after doctor trying to discover the root of his ailment. They've pumped him full of antibiotics of all different strengths and purposes to no avail. The other day, he started talking to me about his symptoms and that since his doctors can't figure out what's wrong with him, they're starting to assume cancer. After spending so much time reading about Candida, I offered: "Maybe you have a yeast infection." He laughed at me and began to make comments about how he wasn't a woman, etc. I sent him a couple links to information, and he took the information to his doctor. Guess what? It's Candida. I couldn't believe that I "diagnosed" him, where his doctors couldn't. He admitted that he "eats like a 9-year-old," often noshing down on potato chips and sugary items. He's now on the road to recovery, changing his diet and and not laughing at my health tips anymore. Knowledge is power.

cerogers said:
I couldn't believe that I "diagnosed" him, where his doctors couldn't.

He's lucky you did, since this will probably spare him a number of unnecessary procedures and additional bills. It's also a sad statement about the state of modern medicine, because they should know to look for these things. But you're right, it's a good example of how knowledge protects and why it's worth it to try to share what we've learned with the people around us.

I suffered with candida for at-least 5 years from now. I was in painful condition. I used candida diet plan of _http://candidacuretips.com. Candida diet is much effective in candida treatment.

Since this topic has just been "revived", I thought I'd mention that apparently, coconut oil can help kill candida:

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

The Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil Can Kill Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi, Helping to Stave Off Infections

Almost 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil is the 12-carbon Lauric Acid.

When coconut oil is enzymatically digested, it also forms a monoglyceride called monolaurin.

Both lauric acid and monolaurin can kill harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi (8).

For example, these substances have been shown to kill the bacteria Staphylococcus Aureus (a very dangerous pathogen) and the yeast Candida Albicans, a common source of yeast infections in humans (9, 10).

Bottom Line: The fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, potentially helping to prevent infections.

If anyone is interested, you can find some yummy recipes with lots of healthy fats here. If tolerated, it can add some variety to both the paleo and ketogenic diet.

And it's not just lauric acid in coconut oil, but also caprylic acid that's a very potent anti fungal.

Caprylic Acid is one of the three fatty acids (along with capric acid and lauric acid) that are found in coconut oil. It is a potent antifungal that kills Candida cells, as well as restoring your stomach acidity to its normal levels. It is available in gel capsules, which allow the caprylic acid to get to your intestinal tract and start killing Candida cells.

Natural antifungals like caprylic acid work best in combination, as this prevents the Candida yeast from adapting to a single treatment. So you can combine caprylic acid with other natural antifungals like oregano oil, garlic and grapefruit seed extract. If your treatment is killing the Candida cells, there is a chance that you may experience a Candida Die-Off reaction. To reduce the chance of this happening, you can take a liver-protective supplement like Detox Drops or Molybdenum.

How does Caprylic Acid help with a Candida overgrowth?
Like other antifungals, caprylic acid works by interfering with the cell walls of the Candida yeast. Repeated studies have shown its effectiveness against Candida. According to a study conducted by Japan’s Niigata University, “the fungicidal effect of caprylic acid on Candida Albicans was exceedingly powerful”.

How do you take Caprylic Acid?
You can buy Caprylic Acid in capsules. Gel capsules are particularly effective because they slow the release of the caprylic acid, allowing its antifungal properties to take effect in your intestinal tract. Studies have shown that when caprylic acid is taken in a liquid form (without the gel capsules), it goes straight to the liver and has little antifungal effect where it is needed.

Alternatively, you can take antifungal supplements like Candida Support, which contains caprylic acid as one of its main ingredients. It is always a good idea to take two or three antifungals at the same time, to prevent the Candida yeast building resistance to any one product. With this in mind, Candida Support contains caprylic acid along with several other antifungals like oregano oil and black walnut.

Lastly, you can get your dose of caprylic acid straight from the natural source. Coconut oil contains caprylic acid, lauric acid and capric acid, three potent antifungals that work great in combination. You can start with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil each morning, then build up your dosage to 5 tablespoons per day if you don’t experience any Die-Off symptoms.

Who should not take Caprylic Acid?
Pregnant or breastfeeding women, children and those prone to stomach upsets should not take Caprylic Acid. Caprylic acid may sometimes cause mild gastrointestinal complaints, like nausea or diarrhea. If you are in any doubt, consult your doctor.
_http://www.thecandidadiet.com/caprylicacid.htm

Chu said:
Since this topic has just been "revived", I thought I'd mention that apparently, coconut oil can help kill candida:

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

The Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil Can Kill Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi, Helping to Stave Off Infections

Almost 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil is the 12-carbon Lauric Acid.

When coconut oil is enzymatically digested, it also forms a monoglyceride called monolaurin.

Both lauric acid and monolaurin can kill harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi (8).

For example, these substances have been shown to kill the bacteria Staphylococcus Aureus (a very dangerous pathogen) and the yeast Candida Albicans, a common source of yeast infections in humans (9, 10).

Bottom Line: The fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens, potentially helping to prevent infections.

Indeed, coconut oil is very good for that but to before thinking eliminating candida you must do a heavy metal detox. If you don't do it, you won't be able to control your candida.

Back
Top Bottom