Candida- The Silent Epidemic

Here's a video on candida (and sugar, sweeteners and preservatives):

http://thekeybiotics.com/video_toon.html

Hi all,

I thought I'd revive this thread because it has recently become clear to me that ketogenic diets are not a solution to candida. In particular, there is a lot of information out there on how ketogenic diets can actually make things worse.

See this for more details: http://chriskresser.com/is-a-low-carb-diet-ruining-your-health/
(Duck Dodgers' long comment down at the bottom of the page
AUGUST 26, 2014 AT 10:20 AM)
http://www.gestaltreality.com/2013/09/16/how-to-eliminate-candida-biofilms/

The long and short of it is that candida can also feed and and thrive on ketones, and ketogenic diets also starve the good bacteria which keep fungus in check.

For this reason I am going back to standard Paleo and initiating a proper candida treatment. In the past 6 months or so I have had symptoms that have not got better despite diet and various unorganized supplements. It could be something else, but signs and symptoms correlate very well to what are commonly known as candida symptoms.
These include constant itchiness, thrush, rashes on knees and legs, constipation, brain fog/ADD and chronic, never-ending sinus issues.

I am trying to put together a decent protocol for this, with up to date information.

So far I've got:

Break down the biofilms
Enzymes (Interfase Plus), EDTA, NAC, Xylitol.

Kill the Fungus:
Lactoferrin, Berberine, Coconut oil. Also have access to Fluconazole (diflucan) but I'm not sure of the ideal dose yet.
Saccharomyces boulardii
Repopulate the gut:
Probiotics - Including Soil Based PrescriptAssist which is regarded as very effective.

Would anyone recommend anything else? I would very much like to get hold of Nystatin, however it is only available on prescription in the UK and doctors are oblivious to intestinal yest problems. I am considering ordering Nystatin powder despite the enormous delivery costs from Fludan. Would this be a worthy investment?

Nystatin is available from fludan.com. Are you able to get it from them? They are in Canada.

Carl said:
Hi all,

I thought I'd revive this thread because it has recently become clear to me that ketogenic diets are not a solution to candida. In particular, there is a lot of information out there on how ketogenic diets can actually make things worse.

See this for more details: http://chriskresser.com/is-a-low-carb-diet-ruining-your-health/

Iv been listening to a lot of chris kresser's stuff recently and have also upped my carbs to a more paleo suited diet since hearing his take on candida, eating a lot more green veg and sweet potato. Feel alot better in myself eating the veg and not feeling as fatigued as before when I was purely eating meat and fat. Perhaps this has something to do with candida. Thanks for sharing both of those articles anyway.

For healing the gut, Cholostrum could be added to the list and perhaps even fresh Camel's milk.

Keyhole said:
Iv been listening to a lot of chris kresser's stuff recently and have also upped my carbs to a more paleo suited diet since hearing his take on candida, eating a lot more green veg and sweet potato. Feel alot better in myself eating the veg and not feeling as fatigued as before when I was purely eating meat and fat. Perhaps this has something to do with candida. Thanks for sharing both of those articles anyway.

For healing the gut, Cholostrum could be added to the list and perhaps even fresh Camel's milk.

Same here, Keyhole. Although i feel alot clearer in the mind when im on keto, my body feels alot better while upping the carbs. Still havnt found a way to get the best of both worlds, nor figured out what is the problem.

Carl said:
Hi all,

The long and short of it is that candida can also feed and and thrive on ketones, and ketogenic diets also starve the good bacteria which keep fungus in check.

For this reason I am going back to standard Paleo and initiating a proper candida treatment. In the past 6 months or so I have had symptoms that have not got better despite diet and various unorganized supplements. It could be something else, but signs and symptoms correlate very well to what are commonly known as candida symptoms.
These include constant itchiness, thrush, rashes on knees and legs, constipation, brain fog/ADD and chronic, never-ending sinus issues.

I am trying to put together a decent protocol for this, with up to date information.

So far I've got:

Break down the biofilms
Enzymes (Interfase Plus), EDTA, NAC, Xylitol.

Kill the Fungus:
Lactoferrin, Berberine, Coconut oil. Also have access to Fluconazole (diflucan) but I'm not sure of the ideal dose yet.
Saccharomyces boulardii
Repopulate the gut:
Probiotics - Including Soil Based PrescriptAssist which is regarded as very effective.

Would anyone recommend anything else? I would very much like to get hold of Nystatin, however it is only available on prescription in the UK and doctors are oblivious to intestinal yest problems. I am considering ordering Nystatin powder despite the enormous delivery costs from Fludan. Would this be a worthy investment?

Supplements to Combat Biofilm

This 3 part supplement protocol suggestion for combating biofilms is pretty much on key for what you have already researched into it. So it seems you've got the biofilm nuke sorted.

As for cleaning up the biofilm residents, then you have an array of anti-fungal's to choose from such as oregano oil, black walnut, uva ursi, berberine and olive leaf etc.

I recall Dr Rostenberg reccomending
Metagenics - CandiBactin - BR.
Metagenics - CandiBactin - AR
Though they are quite pricey.

This along with nystatin, diflucan and S.boulardii should make sure that theyre always getting flushed out.

Huxley said:
Keyhole said:

Same here, Keyhole. Although i feel alot clearer in the mind when im on keto, my body feels alot better while upping the carbs. Still havnt found a way to get the best of both worlds, nor figured out what is the problem.

Ditto that, working on this one too.

Carl said:

In my opinion, from my experience, the hypothesis that fungus can feed on ketones is accurate.

I personally had great results with using neem, which is quite reasonably priced. Neem is absorbed systemically while Nystatin is not, so it'll also potentially clear out any kind of fungal overgrowth that's outside of the digestive tract (and it is possible to have such an overgrowth and it can be really, really nasty).

There was an article up on SOTT recently about neem: http://www.sott.net/article/302210-Neem-The-miraculous-blood-purifying-herb

I used this brand: http://www.amazon.com/Himalaya-Organic-Caplets-Healthy-600mg/dp/B001GCTTPS/

and took 2 pills, 2 or 3 times a day for a month. I think some may need to take it for longer (like 2 months), depending upon their specific situation.

There were also a couple of articles up recently about fungal overgrowths:

http://www.sott.net/article/302770-Could-a-hidden-fungal-overgrowth-be-making-you-ill
http://www.sott.net/article/302211-A-primal-primer-on-Candida-Diagnosing-and-treating-a-fungal-overgrowth

I also used activated charcoal powder (1 teaspoon at a time if I wasn't feeling good and at least once a day) to mop up the toxins it released when dying off, to stave off herxheimer reactions.

According to some sources, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is contraindicated in a fungal overgrowth, however I took large amounts of it (1.2 GRAMS) while treating the fungal overgrowth and had only positive results with it.

Keyhole said:

I also think that in the case of fungal overgrowths, there may be low stomach acid (HCL) present and possibly still a really persistent leaky gut, so those are worth experimenting with too. There's an article about colostrum on SOTT here: http://www.sott.net/article/301278-How-Colostrum-can-help-heal-leaky-gut-syndrome

Foxx said:
Carl said:

In my opinion, from my experience, the hypothesis that fungus can feed on ketones is accurate.

I personally had great results with using neem, which is quite reasonably priced. Neem is absorbed systemically while Nystatin is not, so it'll also potentially clear out any kind of fungal overgrowth that's outside of the digestive tract (and it is possible to have such an overgrowth and it can be really, really nasty).

There was an article up on SOTT recently about neem: http://www.sott.net/article/302210-Neem-The-miraculous-blood-purifying-herb

I used this brand: http://www.amazon.com/Himalaya-Organic-Caplets-Healthy-600mg/dp/B001GCTTPS/

and took 2 pills, 2 or 3 times a day for a month. I think some may need to take it for longer (like 2 months), depending upon their specific situation.

There were also a couple of articles up recently about fungal overgrowths:

http://www.sott.net/article/302770-Could-a-hidden-fungal-overgrowth-be-making-you-ill
http://www.sott.net/article/302211-A-primal-primer-on-Candida-Diagnosing-and-treating-a-fungal-overgrowth

I also used activated charcoal powder (1 teaspoon at a time if I wasn't feeling good and at least once a day) to mop up the toxins it released when dying off, to stave off herxheimer reactions.

According to some sources, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is contraindicated in a fungal overgrowth, however I took large amounts of it (1.2 GRAMS) while treating the fungal overgrowth and had only positive results with it.

Keyhole said:

I also think that in the case of fungal overgrowths, there may be low stomach acid (HCL) present and possibly still a really persistent leaky gut, so those are worth experimenting with too. There's an article about colostrum on SOTT here: http://www.sott.net/article/301278-How-Colostrum-can-help-heal-leaky-gut-syndrome
I'm the same guys, I'm finding a little extra carbs aren't affecting me so long as I don't touch foods high in sulphur. I've been adding a little rice/veg back in.
I also second the advise on colostrum, my runny stools went away immediately after I did a 10 day stint (half a tsp morning and night).
I would include oregano oil to the list of anti fungals.
I did the Hulda Clark parasite cleanse along with a month of oregano oil as I react to coconut oil.

The vitamins I took were as follows:
Morning:
EDTA, NAC, Bromelain
Afternoon:
Oregano oil, clove, wormwood and black walnut (according to the chart on the Hulda Clark Website)
2 hours after:
Vitamin C, B, D, probiotic, Chlorella and Spirulina
Night time:
Vitamin E, ALA, NAC, Bromelain, magnesium, trace minerals (without iron), Milk Thistle, Fish oil and probiotics.

My memory is a lot better than it was and I have buckets of energy, I mean buckets which is really helping me keep up with college and work and going to the gym.
My job in the stockroom is very active so it's a good channel for all this excess energy I have. I feel like I've been achieving more than ever in terms of balance and my thoughts for the most part are calm and focused.
I've been going to yoga regularly and my favourite is yin yoga where you hold restorative poses for 5 minutes, it has been beneficial for helping to release any locked up frustrations that I had. (They say women carry anger in their hips)

Here is a link to the Hulda Clark site with the chart
http://www.drclark.net/cleanses/beginners/herbal-parasite-cleanse/parasite-chart-for-adults

You can also try out this:

http://www.dhu-globuli.de/homoeopathische-mittel/c/candida-albicans/

Hello all,

I am still eating low carb paleo but have bumped up my carb intake to 125-150 total carbs. But at times I eat too much fructose(20-30 grams a day because of all dark chocolate and fruit I eat, need to cut down on it! Add green veggies!

I have started to rebound again, I swear I think I am having some sort of detox/herx reactions. Probably some of the nasty critters do not like the way I am eating now.

Candida mostly is a problem for me as well. I have eaten high carb(like 400-500 carbs a day)/straight junk for most of my life. Will be using Nystatin, oregano oil, garlic, and breberine to eradicate the fungi. I am hoping this will help me put on much needed weight.

Also been having problems with having wet flatulence/mild diarrhea? Probably not digesting all of the fat properly. I am also constipated at times but when I pass stool it is solid. I have tried three different enzyme brands(Now Super enzymes, Source Natural, Throne bio digest) I think the Now Foods one was the best maybe because it had more HCI and ox bile? I will try to take more enzymes with fatty foods and try to spread the fat out more though out the day. Kind of worried maybe my body is not getting enough nutrients/energy because its not processing all the fat I eat properly. Any advice on this problem. Hopefully this will go away with the anti candida treatment and other changes I will do.

Hi AD, I misunderstood, how many grams of carbohydrates eaten daily, and how many grams of fat you eat each day? I think there may be a problem, diet high in carbohydrates and high in fat can be deadly, you have read the thread of the ketogenic diet?

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,28799.0.html

AD said:
Also been having problems with having wet flatulence/mild diarrhea? Probably not digesting all of the fat properly. I am also constipated at times but when I pass stool it is solid. I have tried three different enzyme brands(Now Super enzymes, Source Natural, Throne bio digest) I think the Now Foods one was the best maybe because it had more HCI and ox bile? I will try to take more enzymes with fatty foods and try to spread the fat out more though out the day. Kind of worried maybe my body is not getting enough nutrients/energy because its not processing all the fat I eat properly. Any advice on this problem. Hopefully this will go away with the anti candida treatment and other changes I will do.

How much fat are you having with your meals? And in what form, i.e with carbs or with protein alone?

From my experience, the liquid stool is a case of inadequate digestion of the fat. So its running straight through. This would also lead to a guess that you have some malabsorbtion issues. How long does it take for your meals to pass through you? Also, are you getting much energy while you are on a higher fat diet?
Ive found that if i have the fat poured on top of my meat, so it is still liquid and warm, it doesnt digest aswell. But when it soaks into some eggs or carbs it doesnt cause as much distress and i can tolerate it alot better.

For some more info on malabsorbtion have a look at:
Oleic Acid (weight loss, CFS, malabsorption - small intestinal motility)

I have experienced the same problems that you have mentioned through the ketogenic diet. Afew things that helped where L-Glutamine and Slippery elm pre-meals. These sooth and relax the gut. And a mix of pancreatic enzymes, ox bile and Betain HCl with food which help digest the food itself.

Are you taking any pro-biotics at the moment? It could also be a sign of SIBO (small intestine bacteia overgrowth), where your bacteria is basically in the wrong place so your food is not digested properly.

I have been looking into this for awhile, as i am also unable to put on any weight at all and dont seem to get much effect from taking a variety of supplements, apart from the ones that assist in digestion.

AD said:
Hello all,

I am still eating low carb paleo but have bumped up my carb intake to 125-150 total carbs. But at times I eat too much fructose(20-30 grams a day because of all dark chocolate and fruit I eat, need to cut down on it! Add green veggies!

Cutting down on fructose drastically sounds like a good plan. I think your carb intake will go down to 75-100 and you'll still have quite a lot to eat in the forms of carrots, beet roots, sweet potatoes and so forth. Those are safer sources of carbs.

If you have a problem digesting fat, choosing your carbs from safe sources will help.

Huxley said:
How much fat are you having with your meals? And in what form, i.e with carbs or with protein alone?

My daily average for marcros are 70-125 grams total carbs/60-90 grams protein/ 200-300 grams of fat a day. I usually have most of my fat alone fat bombs, straight butter and cup of coconut milk. Whenever I have a lot of fat, I take my digestive enzyme.

Huxley said:
From my experience, the liquid stool is a case of inadequate digestion of the fat. So its running straight through. This would also lead to a guess that you have some malabsorbtion issues. How long does it take for your meals to pass through you? Also, are you getting much energy while you are on a higher fat diet?
Ive found that if i have the fat poured on top of my meat, so it is still liquid and warm, it doesnt digest aswell. But when it soaks into some eggs or carbs it doesnt cause as much distress and i can tolerate it alot better.

I would say that it takes at least 6-8 hours or more for a meal to pass though me.

I have noticed that when I eat a lot fat at once, like a serving of fat bomb my heart rate jumps and I get some mild heart palpitations. Energy wise I would say I am lacking and sometimes I feel tired/sleepy after eating too much fat. Maybe I should have more of my fat with some of my protein or carbs meals?
Huxley said:
I have experienced the same problems that you have mentioned through the ketogenic diet. Afew things that helped where L-Glutamine and Slippery elm pre-meals. These sooth and relax the gut. And a mix of pancreatic enzymes, ox bile and Betain HCl with food which help digest the food itself.

Are you taking any pro-biotics at the moment? It could also be a sign of SIBO (small intestine bacteia overgrowth), where your bacteria is basically in the wrong place so your food is not digested properly.

I have been looking into this for awhile, as i am also unable to put on any weight at all and dont seem to get much effect from taking a variety of supplements, apart from the ones that assist in digestion.
I will add pro biotics and already have some slippery elm laying around. Dont want too add to many more supplements because I am already taking quite of few supplements and it getting pricey.

Gaby said:
Cutting down on fructose drastically sounds like a good plan. I think your carb intake will go down to 75-100 and you'll still have quite a lot to eat in the forms of carrots, beet roots, sweet potatoes and so forth. Those are safer sources of carbs.

If you have a problem digesting fat, choosing your carbs from safe sources will help.

OK I will cut out most of the fructose/sugary foods

I am thinking that after I make these changes and do the anti fungi treatment and I am not still doing well on low carb. Then maybe it is just not for me? Maybe go back to eating high carb, take care of other problems and try low carb again? More and more I am thinking my main problems are chronic infections and heavy metal toxicity? Need to troubleshoot and be patient with the diet but do not want to be stuck in limbo for too long it its not working well?!

AD said:
My daily average for marcros are 70-125 grams total carbs/60-90 grams protein/ 200-300 grams of fat a day. I usually have most of my fat alone fat bombs, straight butter and cup of coconut milk. Whenever I have a lot of fat, I take my digestive enzyme.

I have noticed that when I eat a lot fat at once, like a serving of fat bomb my heart rate jumps and I get some mild heart palpitations. Energy wise I would say I am lacking and sometimes I feel tired/sleepy after eating too much fat. Maybe I should have more of my fat with some of my protein or carbs meals?

So you are getting the majority of fat from butter and coconut milk? Assuming you are making fat bombs with butter?
When i cut down on the fatbomb and added more animal fat's, pork lard/beef dripping, my energy went up and my sluggishness after meals went down. My amount of calories from fat dropped, but i felt like i was absorbing and making alot more use out of it because i wasnt guzzling down a bowl full of hard to digest fat bomb after i just ate a meal.
Have you spent some time off coconut milk and butter, to see if they react well with you?

Its not the best sign that you get a racing heart, but feel lethargic after your fat bomb. You are most likely having too much, or are reacting too it. I would say ease off on the fat bomb, and try some more of the animal fats to make sure your not only burning butter.

Back
Top Bottom