Caricature of Love

Divide By Zero said:
Here's an OCR version that can be searched for text and is quite smaller (1.7 MB).

http://sharesend.com/1ps4t6gz

Unfortunately the file is damaged and can't be opened.

Also, Laura's original link at the beginning of the post points to something that does not exist any longer. :(

It's also now available at the Hathitrust Digital Library:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015011299339;view=1up;seq=4

Andrian said:
Thank you for uploading this book it will be the next on my reading list,i heard about the book but kept ignoring it even if i knew that it's an important piece of work, i decided to read this book as soon as possible because of an article that I've read recently, a couples of week ago I've read an article about that the psychologists have found that most of women who have read the new bestseller 50 shades of grey trilogy may have suffered abuse or are more prone to suffer/tolerate abuse or to be more prone to tolerate promiscuity,an abusive partner etc. in a relationship( the link to the article :Danger of normalizing and glorifying psychopathic perception of reality: Reading 'Fifty Shades' linked to unhealthy behaviors ).

I wonder if there is a similar study about women who love Twilight...?

I just read that the author of 50 Shades of Grey was such a Twilight fan that she rewrote it into this BDSM-Environment. Watch the success of this movie! It just entered cinemas here in Germany - people come in large herds to watch it, Magazines are full of Ads and Articles about bondage "games" (sometimes thinly veiled as "that's how I seduce my husband" stories of celeb wives), DIY stores brief employees how to deal with intimidated women who ask for zip ties - and which ones to recommend....

Twilight is about vampires, right?

I would say Twilight is about women who fall in love with vampires which seems to be a symbol for psychopaths. In that sense it is about what Sandra Brown writes about in Women who love psychopaths - but Twilight seems to glorify that kind of love instead of telling women to stay as far as possible away from this kind of creeps.

Jeremy F Kreuz said:

I would say Twilight is about women who fall in love with vampires which seems to be a symbol for psychopaths. In that sense it is about what Sandra Brown writes about in Women who love psychopaths - but Twilight seems to glorify that kind of love instead of telling women to stay as far as possible away from this kind of creeps.

I'm not personally a Twilight fan, I saw it to see what the fuzz was about, and was very bored.
But as I remember it, that vampire guy she was in love with, seemed to care for her, and not want to hurt her, and I would imagine that the teenagers that love it, likes to imagine that a hot guy, who is also invincible, and can fly, and is really strong, but really gentle, happen to be in love (I want to marry you kind of love) with her, and look at her deeply and longingly, and has a sad James Dean like presence that makes her want to comfort him and make him happy, and also shows her that he understands her sadness and her not feeling like she belongs in this world, and by being with him she can become a vampire and be forever young and beautiful, and in love...(they are also vampires that don't kill humans but live on animal blood as far as I remember)

I might be wrong though...

Miss.K said:
But as I remember it, that vampire guy she was in love with, seemed to care for her, and not want to hurt her, and I would imagine that the teenagers that love it, likes to imagine that a hot guy, who is also invincible, and can fly, and is really strong, but really gentle, happen to be in love (I want to marry you kind of love) with her, and look at her deeply and longingly, and has a sad James Dean like presence that makes her want to comfort him and make him happy, and also shows her that he understands her sadness and her not feeling like she belongs in this world, and by being with him she can become a vampire and be forever young and beautiful, and in love...(they are also vampires that don't kill humans but live on animal blood as far as I remember)

I might be wrong though...

Yeah, it's pretty twisted, and what you wrote above (imo) a ploy to at the same time disguise the real pathology, make it easily digestible for teenagers - and present it as the good, real thing that you want for yourself.

The guy is so sweet and considerate and he only drinks animal blood :rolleyes: The whole vampire clan is shown as an elite (in contrast to the more organic kind of Native American wolf clan her other friend belongs to), and an elite every schoolgirl wants to be part of since everyone is so cool ... wears the right clothes, drives the fancy cars and has all these supernatural powers...

I wandered into the first Twilight by chance in 2008 and husband and me wondered how the trilogy would end... I said: "She will save him and he will become human again" Best case scenario for my dumb older mind...What happens? She wants nothing more than to become a vampire herself ... :O

M.T.

Regarding the twilight movie, this satirical video, despite some obvious offensive language (warning) makes some points nevertheless: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gugBiEkLwU
Especially the parts bout keeping tabs on each other every moment, and the creepy stalking.

Minas Tirith said:
I wandered into the first Twilight by chance in 2008 and husband and me wondered how the trilogy would end... I said: "She will save him and he will become human again" Best case scenario for my dumb older mind...What happens? She wants nothing more than to become a vampire herself ... :O

M.T.

I personally like the fantasy of being a vampire, not in order to be a psycho, but to live forever (or a very long time) so that I would have time to do all the things I'd like to do, like learning to play the piano, or to learn mathematics, or whatever I think would be cool to learn, but don't have time to in the short lifespan of a human. (and also never get sick or physically weak)

Though Groundhog Day works as well for the fantasy....just saying that I understand that people would want it if given the chance...and when no other downside is given that the burden having seen so much is heavy, and psychological issues for having screwed up more times due to longer life, then it still seems like a pretty good deal to me, as I already have those , and with living forever I could have time to solve those as well as learning how to play the piano..

mkrnhr said:
Regarding the twilight movie, this satirical video, despite some obvious offensive language (warning) makes some points nevertheless: _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gugBiEkLwU
Especially the parts bout keeping tabs on each other every moment, and the creepy stalking.

Hehehe it was funny.
And yes, it makes some good points. It's true, he's totally stalker creepy.

Miss.K said:
I personally like the fantasy of being a vampire, not in order to be a psycho, but to live forever (or a very long time) so that I would have time to do all the things I'd like to do, like learning to play the piano, or to learn mathematics, or whatever I think would be cool to learn, but don't have time to in the short lifespan of a human. (and also never get sick or physically weak)

Believe me, after living just this long, the thought of living a long, long time, horrifies me.

Laura said:
Miss.K said:

Believe me, after living just this long, the thought of living a long, long time, horrifies me.

Yes OK, I think I maybe understand. I have days too where I would prefer a peaceful non physical existence, and the mechanicalness and suffering of human existence seems unbearable to have to endure for just this lifetime.
But when thinking of learning crafts, like playing instruments really well, or painting, or mathematics, or dancing flamengo, or even martial arts, then I think life is too short. It's difficult to learn how to do something really well in that time, and so one can only choose 1 or 2 things to try to get really good at, and there are so many things that would be nice to experience how to do..

Miss.K said:
Laura said:
Miss.K said:

Yes OK, I think I maybe understand. I have days too where I would prefer a peaceful non physical existence, and the mechanicalness and suffering of human existence seems unbearable to have to endure for just this lifetime.
But when thinking of learning crafts, like playing instruments really well, or painting, or mathematics, or dancing flamengo, or even martial arts, then I think life is too short. It's difficult to learn how to do something really well in that time, and so one can only choose 1 or 2 things to try to get really good at, and there are so many things that would be nice to experience how to do..

Perhaps these thoughts are born of having experienced these disciplines sometime in your "prior existences". It would be unfortunate if this would be detrimental to soul growth.

It is the awareness (conscious or not) of our mortality that pushes us, as individuals or as a species, to do things, to make choices, to make plans, etc. An immortal person with our level of consciousness would be eternally postponing things (no rush at all) and I'm not even sure a soul would be interested in experiencing nothing through such an incarnation, which is why it is interesting that vampires have no reflections in mirrors (knowledge of the self). In some aspects, it is this awareness of mortality that defines humans.

Thaigrr said:
Miss.K said:

Perhaps these thoughts are born of having experienced these disciplines sometime in your "prior existences". It would be unfortunate if this would be detrimental to soul growth.

I don't understand. Why would it be detrimental to my soul growth if I had experienced those disciplines in a prior existence?

mkrnhr said:
It is the awareness (conscious or not) of our mortality that pushes us, as individuals or as a species, to do things, to make choices, to make plans, etc. An immortal person with our level of consciousness would be eternally postponing things (no rush at all) and I'm not even sure a soul would be interested in experiencing nothing through such an incarnation, which is why it is interesting that vampires have no reflections in mirrors (knowledge of the self). In some aspects, it is this awareness of mortality that defines humans.

I do agree that our mortality is (at least part of) what makes the short time we have so precious, and knowing that we will lose the people we love sooner or later, makes us (at least if we think about it) treasure them more.
But haven't the C's talked about that people used to live longer once? I remember something like 900 years. That would be more fitting IMO. It takes maybe 10.000 hours to learn something really well, and there is just no time to learn much in 70 or 80 years, specially given that one is a kid for the first 20 years, and then the last 20 years the body might not be able to keep up. which leaves only 30 or 40 years in which one has to spend the majority of the time making money to just be able to survive, and if one has a little time after also washing clothes and cleaning and cooking, then one is usually too tired to start dancing flamengo...

I don't think I would postpone more if I had more time, I think that I would aim to learn more than now, because as it is now I know that I won't be able to fit more into the time I have, and so if I want to keep up with politics, it means that I won't be able to learn how to tango, or visa versa. And there is so many things I would like to fit in..

MY question is, if you really lived that long, what would be the ratio of years lived to years forgotten? If you are worried about having a long lifetime, the next natural step is to think about having a good memory. Our memory is hardly sufficient for the number of years we have even now.

Back
Top Bottom