Comet Elenin

Nope, I don't know if this is the "one".
I just think of possibilities so as not to be too surprised. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

novi said:
Comet nuclei are known to range from about 100 meters to more than 40 kilometres across.
not sure 500 km ...

Two things: First of all, on the session thread Laura mentioned that there was a slight hesitation on the second zero, so it's possible the Cs intended 50 km as the correct figure. However, James McCanney mentions in his books that according to "inside info", the comet nucleus of Hale-Bopp was actually similar to the size of our moon, i.e. close to 3500 km, but this data was covered up by NASA. So, anything's possible.

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F2010%20X1;orb=1;cov=1;log=0;cad=1

Can someone confirm my assumptios..

It will only be visible at dusk or dawn at the horizon, in August
It will appear to block out the sun in September
It will make it's closest approach on Oct 16/11, take a look at the close approach data!!!
Earth will pass through the comet's tail in November

Any thoughts on what we're in for passing so soon through the comet's tail.

Hi sublmnlcrimnl,

While I can't answer your questions, perhaps someone else will be able to. In the meantime, I'd like to invite you to post an intro in the newbies section. It doesn't have to be long, just a little something about yourself and how you found the forum. :)

Comet Elenin Update!

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/225704-Comet-Elenin-Update-

For those who do not have read the comments, a link was posted to a GLP video apparently done to debunk the article. The existence of a such video sound like something have been hit again :cool2:.

Re: Comet Elenin Update!

Since yesterday i was unable to view the GLP video, it looks a little new-agy! usually i avoid such videos but i will take a look finally :)

Edit: Goodness! Any amateur astronomer will LOL at these arguments! The only thing he's right about is that there will be no pole shift. The rest is garbage. I see now where V3-Exceed got his misunderstandings!

I knew there was a reason the name "Elenin" rang a bell with me. Although I understand the comet was named after Leonid Elenin (Is this a real person?), I thought the similar names were interesting: Check out Carolyn Wise's articles on "Elen of the Ways" at www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles and let me know what you think. Also, I looked at the graphs on Elenin and looked at Elenin's trajectory, but does anyone know where Elenin originated, i.e. which constellation?

Slow Motion Mary said:
I knew there was a reason the name "Elenin" rang a bell with me. Although I understand the comet was named after Leonid Elenin (Is this a real person?)

Yes Mr. L. Elenin exists.

Slow Motion Mary said:
Also, I looked at the graphs on Elenin and looked at Elenin's trajectory, but does anyone know where Elenin originated, i.e. which constellation?

The comet appeared first in Virgo and it is moving to Leo. It is just where it appears in the sky of course.

I deal with amateur astronomy. With my telescope is currently impossible to see the comet because it is still a small magnitude (magnitude is a measure of brightness). I might be able to see it in May or June. Only with a large telescope can be seen now.

As mentioned in Laura's updates about comet Elenin, there will be a Sun-new Moon-Earth-Elenin alignment on September 27. When the moon is new, it blocks the electron stream hitting the earth from the Sun, and when it moves out of the way, the earth receives a blast of solar energy, compressing the ionosphere and producing storms. As this will be hurricane season, it could produce some storm activity, as happened in 1999 with the Sun-Venus-Earth-Lee alignment which produced Hurricane Floyd (and which McCanney predicted). The alignment occurred on September 6, Floyd formed on the 8th and the new moon was the 9th. The inclusion of Venus most likely increased the energy hitting earth, so, barring any unseen factors, hopefully things aren't as bad this time around.

NASA's buzz about comet Elenin: http://beforeitsnews.com/story/513/009/NASAs_buzz_about_comet_Elenin.html

the video from the article "Comet Elenin is coming (2011):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xsFhHmoK_d8

mkrnhr said:
apparently it's not a video made by nasa

yes in the article stands why:

"NASA’s put a video up in their Buzzroom about Elenin, but it is not there anymore [it is on YouTube]. It was probably pulled down more due to its amateur nature rather than as part of any grand conspiracy theory, but the relative silence by NASA and the mainstream media regarding Elenin has the Armageddon chatrooms abuzz with theories of doom and gloom."

16 January 2011
Comet Elenin Update! http://laura-knight-jadczyk.blogspot.com/2011/01/comet-elenin-update.html

I hope you can make out the yellow line of Elenin's orbit. (Click the image to see it larger.) In the image, Astronomical Insider has included the position of the asteroid belt as a big circle. He has also noted the position of the member of that belt, Schiela which is the asteroid that began to develop a comet-like coma back in December . The blue ellipse is an approximation of the southern Taurid meteor stream. Something may change, of course, when the comet crosses the asteroid belt in March/April.

So that could create a bowling alley effect scatting pins, almost any where, or every where? :huh:...............Wow!

Attachments

• discobowling[1].gif
    discobowling[1].gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 231
The orbit didn't seem to have changed so nothing of that sort happened imho. Disturbances could be expected to be electrical and chemical though as explained by Approaching Infinity.

Back
Top Bottom