Creating a New World

Wow, I am struggling to keep up with this thread that I don't even get time to respond with my own thoughts.

This does make for interesting reading, not to mention contemplating possibilities. Over the weekend I watched a movie (Blindness), it was depressing but I thought it might fit in nicely with this topic since the movie is about the world changing; everyone becoming blind (or rather see light instead of darkness) except for one woman. It tells of how they survived, how people changed and how a small group together made it through the whole thing: http://www.blindness-themovie.com/

Has anyone else seen this movie?

I would like to offer a view of shamanism in relation to my experience in the theatre and what I have learned from the several years of reading what all of you have offered through the amazing efforts of Laura, Ark and all those who toil in this Quantum Future arena.

My most memorable and meaningful theatre experiences come out of ensemble effort. It is usually thought that modern theatre is an exercise of the ego, and judging from what many witness on Broadway, that line of thinking is certainly true. However, when a production is mounted without the intrusion of individual egos competing for some kind of selfish "stardom", when everyone connected with producing a play is there out of the love of what they do as an individual contributor, with an eye to making a whole, then everyone witnesses the fact that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The play that is mounted achieves an energy of its own, it becomes that which is beyond us, and the audience achieves what they paid for their tickets...not just entertainment but also purgation and release—catharsis.

Everyone working on that kind of production brings their knowledge, their skill, and their heart, knowing that the paycheck is slim, if at all. It is truly an STO attitude...creativity is its own reward. The payoff comes with the applause when the curtain comes down. I know I'm sounding a bit saccharine, but stick with me. How does the shaman tie in?

It is the actor's job to pretend to be someone they are not. They are asked to use their imagination to convey a series of emotions that they wouldn't ordinarily feel if they were simply being themselves. But they willingly have subjected themselves to the process of bringing to life, a being that lives in imagination. The audience comes to witness this imagination, and if the actor succeeds, the imagination is accepted as truth and the audience walks away enriched. In fact, the audience paid money to willingly suspend their disbelief in order to share in the emotional life of what they witness onstage.

This cultural phenomenon is a pale comparison to what the shaman does. The shaman lifts the veil to the other world, journeys through unknown dangers on a quest, and brings back those things designed to benefit his/her tribe. I would guess that both an actor and a shaman require a dramatic imagination to enter the realm of emotions in order to get to certain truths. It seems to me that the shaman has higher stakes, namely his or her life. As an actor, I know that it is exhausting sometimes to portray a role onstage. I’ve been inside enough sweaty costumes to realize how much energy is invested “just to get a laugh…or a tear”.

The shaman carries a deep investment. They carry the investment of their community, and they carry back the investment of their gods with the answers returned or the healing given. The shaman has trained, gained knowledge and trusted the unknown to take a risk and benefit their community. A true actor does much the same. The truth is realized not by how ably an actor lies, but how ably an actor can be honest. The price of that honesty is borne by all who witness it, and those who work in the theatre must toil with that outlook in everything they do, be it creating costumes, painting sets, sweeping the stage or showing the audience to their seats. It comes back to being an ensemble.

I daresay that the shaman needs their community to invest in that same kind of energy. The energy of ensemble needed to reach the truth. And when the truth is reached, there is light, and when there is light there is love and there is knowledge.

StandingOnTheEdge said:
This cultural phenomenon is a pale comparison to what the shaman does. The shaman lifts the veil to the other world, journeys through unknown dangers on a quest, and brings back those things designed to benefit his/her tribe. I would guess that both an actor and a shaman require a dramatic imagination to enter the realm of emotions in order to get to certain truths. It seems to me that the shaman has higher stakes, namely his or her life. As an actor, I know that it is exhausting sometimes to portray a role onstage. I’ve been inside enough sweaty costumes to realize how much energy is invested “just to get a laugh…or a tear”.

Interesting comparison, but I'm curious how you reconcile the fact that an actor expends energy on creating illusion, while a shaman expends energy on discovering and disseminating Truth?

anart said:
Interesting comparison, but I'm curious how you reconcile the fact that an actor expends energy on creating illusion, while a shaman expends energy on discovering and disseminating Truth?

An actor might expend energy on creating illusion, but it depends on what kind of illusion and how this illusion can benefit others. I don´t think an act should merely be about getting someone to cry or laugh, it should be about telling a story. And how, perhaps, children can learn from this story and act.

And to tell a story in the ''right'' way, thinking and being creative as to how to do so as best as possible so that the children, who have a different ''way of thinking'', might learn and enjoy from the act the best. By doing so, I think the actor will learn a lot as well. Serving yourself by serving others?

Not only could the actor ''tell'' stories to children, but also to adults of course.
The shaman or other people with different roles could go to the actor, share some ideas, share their experiences and so forth and maybe even ask the actor if he/she could come up with a nice act to present these experiences? Many possibilities imo. Just like my brother said earlier this day: it's all about intent, and I think that is also the case here.

anart said:

Hi Anart,

I guess what I am trying to discover about a shaman is whether or not their path to truth takes them on a similar journey that an actor takes: first to imagination and then to emotion and then to truth.

Last Saturday we watched a friend perform a one-woman show. She portrayed herself as a cleaning lady in an opera company, and she interpreted the opera "Carmen" using only her cleaning supplies, she sang Bizet's music and used a minimum of language that was mostly "Euro-gibberish". She was able to fully convey the story of Carmen and the emotions involved in the story. At one point, she used clothes pins to represent cigars, being smoked by 2 men in a dark seedy bistro. She was the 2 men and you could practically smell the smoke. Her imagination brought us into this world, we felt what the characters were experiencing and we witnessed the truth as if it happened before our eyes.

I have a feeling that a shaman needs to journey to the place of emotion, ie the shaman's own emotional center to get to that which is creative/eternal, to bring back to his/her tribe, the benefits of being in touch with the eternal, ie in terms of healing or knowledge.

When we do the Work, the breathing exercises, and other methods of esoteric practice, we seem to be clearing the emotional center to get to that which is eternal/creative. Therefore, we may be taking on an aspect of what it would be like to become a shaman.

StandingOnTheEdge said:
Hi Anart,

I guess what I am trying to discover about a shaman is whether or not their path to truth takes them on a similar journey that an actor takes: first to imagination and then to emotion and then to truth.

I think I understand your point, I'm just suggesting that you might trying to equate two things that are not equal or even similar. Actors become things/characters that are not real - shamans connect to the Real - there is a fundamental difference here that you seem to be missing or glossing over in trying to make a connection with something that you are emotionally invested in - or so it seems to me and I could certainly be mistaken.

sote said:
Last Saturday we watched a friend perform a one-woman show. She portrayed herself as a cleaning lady in an opera company, and she interpreted the opera "Carmen" using only her cleaning supplies, she sang Bizet's music and used a minimum of language that was mostly "Euro-gibberish". She was able to fully convey the story of Carmen and the emotions involved in the story. At one point, she used clothes pins to represent cigars, being smoked by 2 men in a dark seedy bistro. She was the 2 men and you could practically smell the smoke. Her imagination brought us into this world, we felt what the characters were experiencing and we witnessed the truth as if it happened before our eyes.

Actually, your imagination brought you into her imaginary world - she may have made it easier for you by acting in a way that allowed you to follow, but it is imagination - it is illusion - it is not real. What a shaman does, at the core, is connect to the Real. I know I'm not being very clear, but can you consider that difference?

sote said:
I have a feeling that a shaman needs to journey to the place of emotion, ie the shaman's own emotional center to get to that which is creative/eternal, to bring back to his/her tribe, the benefits of being in touch with the eternal, ie in terms of healing or knowledge.

I would agree that that is certainly a key aspect, but, again, it is Real - actors deal in illusion, not in what is real; at least not Real in the objective, Shamanistic sense, at least to my understanding.

sote said:
When we do the Work, the breathing exercises, and other methods of esoteric practice, we seem to be clearing the emotional center to get to that which is eternal/creative. Therefore, we may be taking on an aspect of what it would be like to become a shaman.

Yep, I would agree, we are definitely clearing the emotional center in order to make potential contact with the higher emotional center and what is real, and I think it can certainly be linked to the beginnings of a shamanic journey, as it were. At least that's my current understanding.

Laura said:
We have had a few clues about Stonehenge, but a recent session provided a bit more insight:

28 July 2009

Q: (A***) I was gonna ask about Chaco Canyon. What was it built for?

A: Gathering place for those of unusual abilities.

Q: (A***) Did anybody actually live there?

A: More like a "conference center."

Q: (A***) So what happened to the people that used it?

A: Change of cosmic environment followed by earthly difficulties such as famine, climate etc.

Q: (J) What kind of things did those people with unusual abilities do when they gathered together?

A: Well, levitate, for one; direct manifestation for another; and "travel".

Q: (Al***) So, could they travel from one spot on the planet to another?

A: Yes.

Q: (A***l) Could they teleport?

A: Yes.

Q: (J) Teleport... These weren't your average human beings then. (laughter)

A: No not exactly, but it wasn't the same environment you currently enjoy either.

Then, it was referenced again:

5 August 2008
Q: (L) Okay, next question: Who built the Hypogeum in Malta?

A: Ancient "circle people".

Q: (L) And for what purpose?

A: Rebirth, healing, manifestation. See answers previously given about Chaco Canyon.

In trying to understand what the role of the shaman was, we may consider these gatherings as a clue. We have a "conference center" for "those of unusual abilities". What would be the purpose of this conference? We have levitation, direct manifestation, teleportation, rebirth, and healing given as examples of what happened at these events.

RflctnOfU said:
Laura said:
After writing all of the above, it occurs to me that we might want to consider the role of the shaman/bard in an STO society?

On reading this I am reminded of the inner/esoteric circle of which Gurdjieff spoke. Macrobiologically perhaps the pituitary/pineal section of the "brain" (Cs mentioned the pituitary being the link to 4D, if I remember correctly). If this analogy holds, the shaman/bard would be the 'regulator of the "hormones"' of the body/group. Hormones in this case of the body/group would be certain ideas perhaps? Shared in the form of stories/songs (Bard! :)) The image keeps coming up in my head of an 'elder'/group of elders.

::::muses to self - 'how would it be decided who is to be the shaman/bard? Certainly not by politic-king'::::

Kris

I was thinking about this too, but I think that there may be no choosing to do. Someone that is able to take on this role seems hard to come by. Where does one get this knowledge and how is one even able to tell if one is capable of being a shaman? I vote for the levitating guy...(joke) The descriptions of events taking place at these "conference centers" (also calling them "conference centers") seem to imply some sort of networking between those with this knowledge (or "unusual ability"). I can't think of any other useful reason to teleport or manifest, other than networking with others that are not nearby. Still don't see any practical use for levitation though.

Lúthien said:
Here's an extract from Eliade's Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy (quoted in the Wave), which might give clues about one of the Shaman's (many) roles:

... Only the shaman can undertake a cure of this kind. For only he ‘sees’ the spirits and knows how to exorcise them; only he recognizes that the soul has fled, and is able to overtake it, in ecstasy, and return it to its body.
...Everything that concerns the soul and its adventure, here on earth and in the beyond, is the exclusive province of the shaman. Through his own preinitiatory and initiatory experiences, he knows the drama of the human soul, its instability, and its precariousness; in addition, he knows the forces that threaten it and the regions to which it can be carried away. If shamanic cure involves ecstasy, it is precisely because illness is regarded as a corruption or alienation of the soul.
...Aside from the rare cases of ‘infernal specialization’ (confined to descents to the underworld), the Siberian shamans are equally capable of celestial ascents and descents to the nether regions... This two-fold technique derives in a manner from their initiation itself, and for the initiatory dreams of future shamans include both descents (ritual sufferings and death) and ascents (resurrection). In this context we can understand that, after battling the evil spirits or descending to the underworld to recover the patient’s soul, the shaman feels the need to reestablish his own spiritual equilibrium by repeating the ascent to the sky.

It seems apparent that some sort of "initiatory experience" or "death and rebirth" is required in becoming a shaman. But if this tradition predates Native American cultures that have already "lost" too much of this knowledge to have even useful remnants of it, how do we learn it again?

C's said:
Q: (A***) So what happened to the people that used it?

A: Change of cosmic environment followed by earthly difficulties such as famine, climate etc.

Q: (J) Teleport... These weren't your average human beings then. (laughter)

A: No not exactly, but it wasn't the same environment you currently enjoy either.

Is it even possible to access the realms that were useful to the shamans in their time? Has a change of cosmic environment put new restrictions on access to these realms? This makes me think of the remarks about living in a 'frequency fence', in the United States.

I see the value in considering the role of the shaman. But I can't seem to see how one becomes a shaman. I was initially concerned with the idea of a clever trickster fooling people into believing he has shamanic capabilities. But in a small group, I think this kind of charlatan would be easier to spot because if there are no beneficial results of his efforts, there is no point in trusting him in this role. However, we do have the sort of televangelist type now that seems to be pretty adept at tricking people into thinking they are serving them in a semi-shamanic manner (healing, etc.), but I attribute a lot of that to a sort of mob-mentality or mass hypnosis frenzy - hopefully it could be averted with careful attention from within a small group.

But even if we are able to keep our group from being tricked by a charlatan, what if we never have someone that is capable of filling that role? Or what if we do have people that are capable, how do they become initiated?
Looking back over what I have written, it seems rather pessimistic. I think I may be making some undue assumptions about this "lost knowledge" and methods of learning it, but I'm not quite sure what they are.

Dynamic systems tend to self-organize. In the STS systems, self-organization materializes in the pyramidal chain of command with the leader, the elite, the wannabes, the executors, the slaves...
Maybe the STO mode of interaction induces the natural emergence of a shaman as a result of group's stucturation? The shamanic initiation could be carried out by an individual's higher-self IMHO.

mkrnhr said:
Dynamic systems tend to self-organize. In the STS systems, self-organization materializes in the pyramidal chain of command with the leader, the elite, the wannabes, the executors, the slaves...

This self-organization might be part of the problem though. The mechanical nature of the structure leads to this pyramidal STS dynamic. As Laura suggested before, maybe a system needs continuous conscious contribution or it becomes entropic:

Laura said:
... I'll tell you something that came to me not too long ago: any technology that does not require human interface to make it work is entropic. That is, any machine that you can set to work by turning on a switch (and loading it up first), that does not require matching actions by a human being, or numbers of them, is entropic to humanity. It increases the mechanization of society and takes it on a downward spiral. ...

What is bothering me is this, and I think part of the problem is that I'm confined to 3D thinking: So there were these groups that had an "inner circle" that performed spiritual functions that were beneficial for the whole society. The nature of these groups seems to include that to be "initiated" to the "inner circle", one needs the help of someone who has done it before. This creates the whole chicken and egg paradox, and I'm stuck wondering that if there is no "inner circle" now, how do we go about establishing one. Perhaps this is only an issue because of my narrow conception of time, or perhaps these initiates still do exist and it is a matter of finding them (or maybe just because in "the past", "they did" exist, contact can be made with the "past" groups for guidance or initiation).

mkrnhr said:
Maybe the STO mode of interaction induces the natural emergence of a shaman as a result of group's stucturation? The shamanic initiation could be carried out by an individual's higher-self IMHO.

Hmm... future/past/higher self maybe? Maybe recreating this structure is like a cycle where the past and future are linked. What structure would promote the natural emergence of a shaman though? I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out here. I doubt he/she is going to just pop out of a trans-dimensional window when the time is right though.

StandingOnTheEdge said:

Can it be said that the actor's primary function is to mimic or imitate? Seems that the actor is mimicking physical movements and also emotions which are pertinent to the specific role he is playing. Mimicking does need imagination and also a degree of empathy. But at the core, acting (at its best) is about recreating the totality of some experience which is already present in the minds of the audience - perhaps in a subconscious or unconscious state.
A shaman's role is to look behind the veil, see the unseen, and bring back something which does not essentially belong to this world. In Work terminology, this would need the seating of the higher centers which is not needed for an actor creating an illusion.
So I doubt whether the path of the actor leads him to truth which I tend to interpret as objective reality. Also true shamanic visions are perhaps not imagination in the commonly understood sense of the term but actual visions of a different world that lies beyond the veil.

I am not an expert, but I have done some reading about the shaman in Native American, Central and South American, Asian and African old world cultures, and I conclude that a shaman is born that way. The people and the elder shamans recognize the potential early on, when the candidate is still a child, and training is done which promotes the potential shaman's connection with his higher centers. There is almost always a very dramatic shift in perceptual awareness which follows a tremendous amount of painful personal suffering which makes him or her a shaman. All accounts I have seen involve an elder/ teacher shaman who is able to recognize the potential and then take a serious hand in guidance and training, which then results in the breakthrough and a dramatic new awareness. The role of the shaman in these cultures is pretty much selfless. The shaman does not pursue a life for himself. He serves the people and suffers greatly for it. From what I understand, one does not decide at some point that it would be cool to be a shaman. It is an arduous process that cannot really be undertaken except by a rare few humans who come already equipped for the role from the start. That's my take, anyway, from the literature on indigenous cultures.

thevenusian said:
I am not an expert, but I have done some reading about the shaman in Native American, Central and South American, Asian and African old world cultures, and I conclude that a shaman is born that way. The people and the elder shamans recognize the potential early on, when the candidate is still a child, and training is done which promotes the potential shaman's connection with his higher centers. There is almost always a very dramatic shift in perceptual awareness which follows a tremendous amount of painful personal suffering which makes him or her a shaman. All accounts I have seen involve an elder/ teacher shaman who is able to recognize the potential and then take a serious hand in guidance and training, which then results in the breakthrough and a dramatic new awareness. The role of the shaman in these cultures is pretty much selfless. The shaman does not pursue a life for himself. He serves the people and suffers greatly for it. From what I understand, one does not decide at some point that it would be cool to be a shaman. It is an arduous process that cannot really be undertaken except by a rare few humans who come already equipped for the role from the start. That's my take, anyway, from the literature on indigenous cultures.

Seems like that process involves a risk of violating a poor child's free will doesn't it? I'm left to wonder if they were always chosen from a young age due to some recognizable (by the elders) potential? If so, then first, what is that potential and how to recognize it? And second, just because you are born with the potential you are made to suffer for the sake of others? It is hard to believe that this process is STO, although the specific role of the shaman may seem selfless.

Or maybe they are left with the option of not becoming a shaman, as Castanada was able to 'opt out' of his training, and did a couple times. Still seems as if a young child wouldn't be able to make this decision, and may end up suffering against his/her will.

combsbt said:
[
mkrnhr said:

Hmm... future/past/higher self maybe? Maybe recreating this structure is like a cycle where the past and future are linked. What structure would promote the natural emergence of a shaman though? I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out here. I doubt he/she is going to just pop out of a trans-dimensional window when the time is right though.
My understanding is that the shaman's calling is a natural one. Society cannot make a shaman but can help with identifying, training and assisting the shaman in his/her natural function. And the STO mode of interaction would help in this way as mkrnhr said. Shamans perhaps exist in today's world as well - but they are unable to perform their natural function due to the lack of knowledge in society.
I was reading "Man And His Symbols" by C.G. Jung and associates where Jung mentions receiving a hand-written booklet from a psychiatrist who received it as a Christmas present from his 10 year old daughter. It contained a series of dreams she had had when she was 8 years old. According to Jung " It was the weirdest series of dreams that I have ever seen and I could well understand why her father was just more than puzzled by them ". He goes on to describe the "motifs" from the dreams and they included among others
- An ascent into heaven where pagan dances are being celebrated; and a descent into hell, where angels are doing good deeds.
- Symbolisms of the Tree of Life
- Dreams where the girl is dangerously ill and birds suddenly come out of her skin and cover her completely
and others. Jung says 9 of the 12 dreams were influenced by the theme of destruction and restoration. Jung knew the girl's family and they had a "superficial acquaintance with the Christian tradition". He was puzzled by the obvious reversal of accepted values in the "pagan dances in heaven, and angels doing good deeds in hell" but concludes that the "symbol suggests a relativity of moral values ". He goes on to say that the girl died of an infectious disease a year later.
The girl's dreams seem to indicate that she was perhaps one with shamanic capabilities - osit. In a society which has the knowledge of such things, she would perhaps have been identified and trained to perform the natural functions of her calling.

Laurentien said:
Monetary systems are, of course, delusional and therefore entropic: "stuff" is better. If you want something or a service, you should trade something or a service of equal value in exchange. But is giving someone a chicken the same as giving someone a sculpture? Probably not, so some system of establishing value of time/goods has to be in place. It could be based on assessing not only the amount of time that goes into something, but the amount of skill - the time it took to acquire the skill -
and perhaps even a valuation placed on talent/ability which is sort of a cosmic element.

For me a valuation of talent sound a lot like a class system.

Did you watch "The Trap"? Do you realize that the ideas of "democracy" and "equality" - AS THEY ARE PROMULGATED - are a trap? A means of setting the stage for dog-eat-dog-no-gov-interference-capitalism?

See: http://dropout50394.yuku.com/topic/1287

I took "Political Science" in college, and what I learned there does not support the notion that modern "Conservatism", the kind that sucks up to corporations, is anything new. Actually, it derives from an early version of Liberalism.

Originally, as feudalism was dying, conservatives were people who supported the concept of an aristocracy with special rights but also special responsibilities, and liberals were people who wanted to overturn that system, having people regarded as intrinsically equal. These liberals, led primarily by an emerging non-noble merchant class who had become wealthier than the nobility and wanted respect for that achievement, basically won.

At this point, the early liberals just assumed that they were on the same side with people who were neither wealthy nor noble. But under the first draft of these liberal rules, inequalities remained and socialist critiques followed. It became noted that the classic liberal freedoms were in practice worthless to the poor, since while they could now exercise them without fear of government punishment, in practice they had to waive them to hold a job. The only difference between the old aristocracy and the new bourgeoisie was that the latter had a lesser sense of noblesse oblige.

A schism then developed. One branch, the classic liberals, clung to the original liberal values as moral axioms, no matter the pain to the poor. Another branch, the reform liberals, responded to socialist critiques by changing the goal to promulgation of effective freedom, and revising policy accordingly. Thus, they are willing to infringe theoretical freedoms, in order to increase the amount of effective freedom to the poor. Welfare is an example -- taxes on the rich get a few percent higher, but the poor hopefully get more freedom to not be prostitutes....

Today, "liberalism" now means reform liberalism. Modern "conservatism" is just an alliance between classic liberals and a separate political movement that has odd notions regarding non-economic issues. Modern people who like classic liberalism and don't like the other conservative baggage are "libertarians".

One annoying situation for (reform) liberals today is that many governments are shifting to a situation where the libertarians are the left and the conservatives are the right. In this situation, the left wing insists that it has "grown up" and accepted that welfare is infeasible, but still offers to fight for relative trivialities like gay rights. Then, you can choose whether to salute the GBLT lobby or salute the Church, but you can't choose not to salute the corporations.

It seems obvious to me that if we are trying to think of humanity as a body, that some parts of the body are crucial to the life of the body, while some parts can be removed with the body continuing to survive. It may not be optimal, but it is possible. That is also true in social structures.

As has also been pointed out - maybe you missed that part - it seems obvious that when all the parts of the body are aware that all the other parts ARE parts and have a contribution to make for OPTIMAL health, then all parts of the body will try to see that all other parts are served in the ways that optimize their function!

But yes, in the body, and in nature, there ARE classes, it just isn't what we have been taught to think of, nor should it be, and like everything else in our world, our ideas have been shaped for the benefit of pathologicals.

Laurentien said:
Let say that we create a new society where O.P (soulless)are muscle and bone and count for 50% of the population and the rest souled human. Now let say that we kill a cow to feed everyone, could someone tell me who get what. My idea, is that we make a big stew and every thing is share in equal quantity i.e. no one get the filet mignon because he or she is of "higher" standing.

I agree somewhat. I would suggest that if there are individuals in the tribe who have higher nutritional needs, they should get extra portions. Need determines apportionment of essentials of life. Pregnant and nursing women, the ill and elderly may have special and higher nutritional needs. Some people who perform very hard work may have higher nutritional needs. It is a fact that people who perform intellectual work have higher nutritional needs right along with those who perform hard physical labor. I sweat more and get exhausted faster researching and writing than I do working out in the gym.

So, it's not a class system as you are thinking, but definitely, there has to be classifications of people because it is NOT true that all people are created equal, though it IS true that all people are part of the body and have a right to having their basic needs met, even if that means that they benefit from the work of others and do little work themselves because they have neither the ability nor capacity.

A social structure based on needs is not a "class system" based on "ranking" as in "social class" as you are thinking.

Laurentien said:
You see I can not imagine a world where one is placed by it skill on a podium,

Nobody is talking about being placed on a podium though, certainly, there may be individuals in a society who hold a position of honor and centrality in the circle by virtue of their abilities and contribution to the whole group.

Again, think of a body... think of the brain, the eyes, the ears, the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, and so forth... they are not on a podium, but they play a central role in the survival of the rest of the body. And, of course, the limbs, bones, muscles, and so forth play a role too, but it is true that you could amputate the limbs and the rest of the body would survive... you can even remove SOME organs. But it is not a very nice way to survive and a good brain knows this and will do all it can to direct that every part of the body is properly cared for and nourished. After all, the organs are carried and fed by the limbs... with the hands having a very important role.

Laurentien said:
those who possess a soul should give the proper mirror image to the O.P and classifying the society may only enhance the division.

Why are you assuming that the classification is based on whether one is souled or not? That's not the issue though whether one is souled or not may have metaphorical relationship to whether one acts in the society as a brain or as a hand. But as I noted above, the hand is very important and it behooves the brain to take very good care of those hands, and every other part of the body as well.

Laurentien said:
The souled must realize that there goal is to move to the upper realm and to do so he doesn't need to be feed filet mignon, he must be a example.

Exactly. So, where did you get the idea that I was suggesting otherwise? Have you read all the posts in this thread? Have you been paying attention?

Laurentien said:
Soulless must be show the way and then realize what is the advantage of following it. If the soulless do not understand what a musician or a sculptor mean, he wouldn't trade a chicken for a piece of wood or a song after a thought day harvesting the field. He will keep the chicken and eat it.

That's not what we are talking about. We are talking about exchanges between people that result from economic surplus, AFTER everyone's basic needs are met.

Food, decent shelter that is equitably distributed/constructed, medical care and educational opportunity are the things that a good brain would ensure for its body. Every part of the body needs good nutrition, good rest, and training to function optimally for their own best life and the best life of the group. Finding what each individual does best and helping them to get set up to do it is also optimal for the body.

I've been doing some heavy reading on the topic and I'll have some ideas to share shortly (and hopefully, I'll have the bandwidth to do so soon!)

anart said:
StandingOnTheEdge said:
Hi Anart,

I think I understand your point, I'm just suggesting that you might trying to equate two things that are not equal or even similar. Actors become things/characters that are not real - shamans connect to the Real - there is a fundamental difference here that you seem to be missing or glossing over in trying to make a connection with something that you are emotionally invested in - or so it seems to me and I could certainly be mistaken.

I think I understand what SOTE is trying to convey: the dramatization of another world. And that is surely what Shaman's do for their "tribe." The tribe cannot see or know what the Shaman sees and knows, and so the Shaman must dramatize it.

anart said:
sote said:

Actually, your imagination brought you into her imaginary world - she may have made it easier for you by acting in a way that allowed you to follow, but it is imagination - it is illusion - it is not real. What a shaman does, at the core, is connect to the Real. I know I'm not being very clear, but can you consider that difference?

Well, if you think about it, it is very much the same thing in its dynamics. The Shaman dramatizes which then utilizes the spiritual abilities of the individual or tribe - which are present, but not so developed as to be able to imagine the other realms - to draw them into imagining and understanding the spirit realms.

Ibn al-Arabi talks about the "Imaginal Realms." He, of course, makes it clear that this does not mean they are "imagined" in the sense of "made up", but that it requires the imaginal capacity of the human being, trapped in matter, to enter them. The Shaman may enter them in reality - see them, hear them, and so on - but the tribe members, individuals, do not have this capacity and so the Shaman must dramatize it to help them understand it. It is a teaching process.

anart said:
sote said:

I would agree that that is certainly a key aspect, but, again, it is Real - actors deal in illusion, not in what is real; at least not Real in the objective, Shamanistic sense, at least to my understanding.

Yes, you are right, but still the point is that the dynamic is the same.

The Shaman is, after all, on one side, a normal human being who has another side, the Shamanic capacity. It requires that they walk between two worlds and try to help those in this world see and understand that other world. At the most basic level, this is done by a kind of sacred drama.

anart said:
sote said:

Yep, I would agree, we are definitely clearing the emotional center in order to make potential contact with the higher emotional center and what is real, and I think it can certainly be linked to the beginnings of a shamanic journey, as it were. At least that's my current understanding.

Years ago when I was doing hypnotherapy regularly, another therapist sat in on one of my sessions with me. It was a pretty dramatic one with the individual going through some seriously cathartic stuff which required my total, undivided attention, creative direction and thinking to help that person through this process.

For example, when the person began to cry and moan about a particularly horrible event, it was my job to help them get some distance by suggesting a scenario where they could look at the situation in new ways. I took them through several such mini-dramas to make the point, and then we went back to the situation and the person was a lot calmer and was able to process and metabolize the event.

When the session was finished, this other therapist said to me: "Wow, I could almost see you wearing the Shaman's mask and shaking rattles and beating drums ..." her point being that my interaction with the client were similar to that process. And she was right. Whenever I did hypnotherapy, I felt a sort of higher self descend into me, a kind of Divine Grace, that gave me super sharp senses so that I could see the elements behind the troubles of the client and know how best to direct their attention. My voice changes, my entire persona BECOMES something more than I am when I'm just wife and mother and friend. The same thing happens when I am teaching... I may start out as just myself, but something "descends onto me" and contact is made with that creative center, and I find myself seeing and hearing on more than one level, walking between two worlds, and looking for ways to convey that to others in a way that most effective. So, indeed, it becomes a sort of Divine Drama - I am, at one and the same time, myself and myself in the future.

So, in a way, that is indeed like the cleaning woman who created the illusion of Carmen. The main difference is that one is done for entertainment, the other is a conveying of spiritual verities. But the dynamics of the process are quite similar.

Back
Top Bottom