Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Re: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

Mrs. Peel said:
I can't take the cold at all, I feel it from the inside out, with just a breeze. It's freezing in our building, so if exposing oneself to cold should help to reset something, I've been doing that for a decade without success. ;) According to blood work, my thyroid is "within normal limits."

I've been thinking about cold adaptation through cold showers, but the problem is, that my immune system is not in the best of shape. So wonder what is optimal to do in such situations. There is probably a lingering virus/inflammation/infection (with a constant low level of discomfort), and it was enough for the temperatures to lower a bit (coupled with a chronic lack of sleep or bad sleep), and symptoms of cold/mild bronchitis and gallbladder or stomach inflammation would come back with a vengeance.

It's a vicious circle, and clearly my system would benefit from a boost (thought about maybe going swimming once a week), so getting invigorated and strengthening the immune system sounds like a good idea.

So I started with washing the face with cold water. :) Tried taking a hot shower and then in the end to switch to the cold one (like in a sauna, when after sitting in a heat one jumps into a cold swimming pool), but it turned out to be not that pleasant as swimming :) , so switched back to the hot water almost immediately. I kept repeating that will have to wait for the summer with such experiments. :D Will try doing it again, but really hesitate at this point to do more than quick wash, because had a situation in the past when hot water was cut off during a shower and had no choice but to continue, after it shivered for a while and got a cold on the next day. Maybe will have to strengthen my immune system in some other ways first, deal with the inflammation and then try again. {scratching head}

I had written an update that got lost with the server crash, but, basically I finished my first 'two sessions in one day' experience and I fell asleep like a rock at 8 pm that night. The usual jittery adrenaline rush after the 3 minute sessions, followed by a deep calm that lasted the rest of the day. I have experienced no frost bite at all, which is good - and have stuck with the full three minute sessions, after my initial 2.5 minute session. My mood is really good after each session (likely due to endorphins). I lost two pounds in one day with doing two sessions, which was interesting. My last session is this afternoon. Overall, I'd definitely say that my energy level has been very good in general - it almost feels like I have extra physical reserve. My digestion has been better (as evidenced by less discomfort/more normality in bowels) and I've benefited from an over-all feeling of well-being despite going through an extremely stressful period regarding work/life of late.

I've also noticed a slight (but noticeable) improvement in my skin tone and the texture of my skin on certain parts of my body.

It's been a very interesting experience and I can say without question that I feel better now, in general, than I did before starting this experiment, which is very interesting.

Gawan said:
And since three days I'm having cold showers (I went straight cold), but must admit it is every time pretty hard to take that shower and not to follow the comfort zone (I only need to adjust the lever to the left side… :)), the water temperature is 10°C (50°F) and it takes me after the shower some time to adjust my boddy-temperature again, so I also thought a combination of cold shower and fir-sauna could be a good combination.

I also thought that the FIR sauna would be good after a cold bath or shower but after reading many comments on Kruse's blogs this combo would be counterintuitive. The whole point is to train your body to warm itself up after cold exposure. Getting into the sauna or taking a warm shower after the cold exposure would be "cheating" and you'd miss out on the results.

It may take you a while but you'll get there. I did. I used to shiver for hours after a cold bath -- it was like torture -- but now my shivering is short lived (maybe @30mins but not bothersome at all now) and low intensity. Having a better omega 6/3 ratio makes this easier so if you are not already eating lots of cold water fish and/or supplementing with krill or fish oil you should do so. There are home tests for omega 6/3 ratio that can be done to see where you are if you can't get your doc to order one. But generally, if you're having a really hard time adapting to the cold address the omega 6/3 ratio. Also, depending upon the individual and their health variables some people take longer than others to adapt. fwiw

Laura said:
What to Wear

Because of the exposure to extremely cold temperatures, there are mandatory requirements for apparel to be worn in the chamber. You should arrive in or bring the following gym attire: Men recommended: (swimsuit or shorts, T-shirt, socks, and gym shoes). Women recommended: (swimsuit or shorts and top, socks and gym shoes). If you do not have gym shoes or socks, US Cryotherapy provides Kloggs and socks in various sizes for your use. US Cryotherapy will also provide a complimentary pair of gloves for your use at the chamber. You will be provided a headband to cover your ears, and a respiratory mask to cover your mouth and nose. If desired, you will be offered forearm and calf sleeve covers for hyper-sensitive skin. You will have covering for your (fingers, toes, nose & ears) which is simply precautionary. Please avoid wearing jeans, slacks, or other loose fitting clothing as they have a tendency to harden immediately, making walking more difficult. Shirts, shorts, and custom headbands are available for purchase at the Roseville center.

This short duration of exposure would be safe even without the protective apparel. However, US Cryotherapy insists that you wear the mandatory cover for your skin and respiratory protection and to maximize the benefits of your experience.
Interesting that they allow shoes and bathing suits. My technician said it's super important to have direct skin contact with the cold since that's the whole point, thus, the "only wearing tiny footies on my feet and cotton gloves on my hands"... Maybe this is a different type of chamber.

Keit said:
Mrs. Peel said:
I can't take the cold at all, I feel it from the inside out, with just a breeze. It's freezing in our building, so if exposing oneself to cold should help to reset something, I've been doing that for a decade without success. ;) According to blood work, my thyroid is "within normal limits."

I've been thinking about cold adaptation through cold showers, but the problem is, that my immune system is not in the best of shape. So wonder what is optimal to do in such situations. There is probably a lingering virus/inflammation/infection (with a constant low level of discomfort), and it was enough for the temperatures to lower a bit (coupled with a chronic lack of sleep or bad sleep), and symptoms of cold/mild bronchitis and gallbladder or stomach inflammation would come back with a vengeance.

I would also suggest that you do it slowly especially when you have health issues.
It is quite a shocking experience for your brain and your body when you shower cold and when you have those kind of health issues it may be to much for your system.

I think it is generally a good advice for everyone to do it slowly if your body is not fully upright.

anart said:
Interesting that they allow shoes and bathing suits. My technician said it's super important to have direct skin contact with the cold since that's the whole point, thus, the "only wearing tiny footies on my feet and cotton gloves on my hands"... Maybe this is a different type of chamber.

My tech said the same thing about the clothing. Socks were required on the feet and if I wanted to leave my hands inside I had to add a pair of socks to cover them. That was the only other clothing requirement. As well, she said she wasn't worried about frost bite, but rather chilblain, which apparently is different than frost bite.

It may be a chamber difference, as you said. I'll see if I can get the specs on the unit I have used.

the hardest thing when you do cold showers is the overcoming.
my strategy is to not think about the situation beforehand to much and just do it.
remember how good you will feel afterwards.

now is the time for the next one :shock: :clap:

Oxajil said:
Laura said:
Have you tried a dilute DMSO solution?

We use it at 25% for eyes and ears.

Yes I have, I diluted it to 25% with saline solution. But because it stressed my eye, and the virus started acting agressive, I stopped using it. It didn't work for me, unfortunately. Maybe I did something wrong while diluting it, but I'm afraid to try again.

If the virus is currently in- active, I don't think I would use DMSO on a regular basis. In the past, I also noted an increase in the aggressiveness of the herpes virus with just diluted DMSO. You may consider trying 25%DMSO/saline combined with a few drops of your anti-viral med. I have crushed acyclovir tabs & saturated 50%DMSO for use on cold sores. That was much more effective than DMSO alone.

I hate this damn virus! It seems it will never be irradicated, just kept under control. Maybe freezing it will work! Keep us posted, Oxajil.

As for dealing with cold showers, I'm reminded of my younger years going to the beach on Lake Michigan. It was always hot and humid, but the lake never really got warm enough to swim in for very long. Before I ever went for a swim, I would get a good sweat going playing frisbee or volleyball. That always made the shock of the cold easier to tackle. I also took cold showers every summer in my 20s when I worked outdoors. After working outside in the heat and humidity all day, I couldn't wait to take a cold shower.

I've gotta imagine doing a little cardio or workout before taking a cold shower will help with easing the transition from hot to cold showers for some of ya'll. Get a good sweat going, then jump in the shower.

Odyssey said:
Gawan said:
And since three days I'm having cold showers (I went straight cold), but must admit it is every time pretty hard to take that shower and not to follow the comfort zone (I only need to adjust the lever to the left side… :)), the water temperature is 10°C (50°F) and it takes me after the shower some time to adjust my boddy-temperature again, so I also thought a combination of cold shower and fir-sauna could be a good combination.

I also thought that the FIR sauna would be good after a cold bath or shower but after reading many comments on Kruse's blogs this combo would be counterintuitive. The whole point is to train your body to warm itself up after cold exposure. Getting into the sauna or taking a warm shower after the cold exposure would be "cheating" and you'd miss out on the results.

It may take you a while but you'll get there. I did. I used to shiver for hours after a cold bath -- it was like torture -- but now my shivering is short lived (maybe @30mins but not bothersome at all now) and low intensity. Having a better omega 6/3 ratio makes this easier so if you are not already eating lots of cold water fish and/or supplementing with krill or fish oil you should do so. There are home tests for omega 6/3 ratio that can be done to see where you are if you can't get your doc to order one. But generally, if you're having a really hard time adapting to the cold address the omega 6/3 ratio. Also, depending upon the individual and their health variables some people take longer than others to adapt. fwiw

Thank you! That's a good point. So far I'm eating about two times salmon a week, unfortunately only aqua culture and lots of organic eggs, but as soon I have money again, I go for some fish oil again.

Lilou said:
If the virus is currently in- active, I don't think I would use DMSO on a regular basis. In the past, I also noted an increase in the aggressiveness of the herpes virus with just diluted DMSO. You may consider trying 25%DMSO/saline combined with a few drops of your anti-viral med. I have crushed acyclovir tabs & saturated 50%DMSO for use on cold sores. That was much more effective than DMSO alone.

I use acyclovir ointment, I don't take the pills because of their nasty side-effects :( It seems that combining the meds with DMSO might help, but I'm not quite sure how I'd go about that. I'll try the cryotherapy, with no expectations, for all I know it'll stay the same!
I'll be doing some more research on this though.

Lilou said:
I hate this damn virus! It seems it will never be irradicated, just kept under control. Maybe freezing it will work! Keep us posted, Oxajil.

Yea, it's a nasty one! From observing the virus condition and the (dietary) changes I've made, I can see clearly what affects it negatively and what doesn't. Carbs feed it, sunlight, stress and lack of enough sleep affect it negatively as well. So in a way, it does help me act more disciplinary with the choices I make in taking care of myself.

Thanks Lilou, I'm glad your method works for you, and hopefully the cold sores come back less frequently :flowers:

oxajil said:
Even though it's still not quite certain if that's the virus I'm dealing with, but since the medication I get does help in a little way (indicating that it is a herpes virus), and since the description of herpes simplex keratitis fits what I'm going through (decreased vision among others), I'd say the chance is high that I'm dealing with keratitis.

The amino acid l-lysine is very effective against herpes. It inhibits replication of the virus, while the amino acid arginine does the opposite. Taking l-lysine as a daily supplement is effective, as one wants to shift the body's ration of these amino acids in favour of l-lysine. A basic introduction to l-lysine and its use against herpes can be found here. The dose, if memory serves, is in the region of 3 – 5 grams daily, in divided doses.

pashalis said:
the hardest thing when you do cold showers is the overcoming.
my strategy is to not think about the situation beforehand to much and just do it.
remember how good you will feel afterwards.

Yeah . . . overcoming (or ignoring) the anticipation of the coldness of it! I start with cool water and spray first my feet and work my way up my legs and arms before spraying my torso. Once I've done that I can get completely under the water and turn the temperature down as low as I can tolerate. Every day I find I can stay under the cold shower for longer. Also my breathing is stabilising, changing from a strong gasp reflex to smoother and more easily controlled breathing.

I've been trying the (not yet completely) cold showers as well. I didn't think I would bring myself to trying it just yet, but I'd figure what the heck, why not?

I have been starting with warm water for about 3 seconds, and gradually lower it until close to completely cold. I can't tolerate total cold yet, but slowly but surely, I will get there.

I have been doing it for 3 days and, I'm not sure whether it is my imagination, but seem to be feeling even more energetic. Today, for example, I had a really bad night where my digestion stopped (will post about it in the Life without bread thread), and only got about 4 hours of sleep with an interval of terrible nausea. Having a full working day ahead of me seemed quite an ordeal. Well, I don't know if it was the shower but I actually felt very good and energetic throughout the day, and still am now.

anart said:
I've also noticed a slight (but noticeable) improvement in my skin tone and the texture of my skin on certain parts of my body.

I have noticed that as well with the showers, and quite visibly. My body and face have gained a new luminosity and tone that lasts for the entire day. A nice unexpected side effect.

1984 said:
anart said:
I did my first cryogenic chamber therapy session today. It was quite an experience (and very cold!). I was in a single person unit, so it wasn't very big, and you remain standing for the 2.5 to 3 minutes while the nitrogen jets blast intermittently. The jets are fairly close to the skin so the blasts are the most uncomfortable part. I started to shiver pretty much right away and threw some G-rated expletives out as the time wore on. ;) In hindsight, it was over pretty quickly, though my fight or flight response did kick in! They had me turn every ten seconds or so to make sure the blasts don't always hit the same area of skin. When I first got out I was very jittery from the adrenaline, hands were shaking, and my blood pressure had gone up about ten points, but after 20 or so minutes I became really calm. At this point (about an hour and a half after) my mood is very good and I physically feel very good, though more hungry than usual. The only other things I've noticed so far is that my hearing was super clear when I walked out of there and it still is, which is a little bizarre actually, and that the slight neck ache I had going in there is gone completely.

Background: I have OA (Osteoarthritis) in my neck, entire spine and left shoulder (from a severe auto accident 30+ years ago and plantar fascitis in my right foot (really painful inflammation).

I had my first session yesterday and can compare my experience to Anart's almost exactly. One exception is that this chamber's jets actually rotated around the body so you didn't need to turn. My head was completely out of the chamber so I didn't feel claustrophobic or contained. It was cold, yes, but not as bad as I thought it would be (I think I had visions of being in a meat locker!) :) I wore socks on my hands and feet and otherwise bare skin elsewhere. When the jets would release the nitrogen I was told to look up so as to not breathe in the nitrogen. The therapist chatted with me as the session wore on making me feel very comfortable as the minutes ticked by. It was over before I knew it.

In addition to the effects Anart mentions (adrenaline kicking in, etc.) my OA pain areas had subsided significantly! I kept waiting all afternoon for the pain to slowly start returning but as of this morning, it is still the pain level it was almost immediately after the session.

Although the diet changes and herb (Devil's Claw Root) that I take for the OA have helped immensely with inflammation, I cannot believe how much less pain I have in just one session. I look forward to the next ones! I have a session tomorrow and 3 next week so I will post again next week on my progression. (I purchased a package of 10 at $597, otherwise individual sessions were $87 each).

One (good) note of caution:
As Anart mentioned (as did the therapist when I was scheduling the appt) you will feel energized. Do try to make the appts as early in the day as possible. Mine was at 11:15am and at 10:00pm last night I had to force myself to sleep! Well, some pipe breathing, POS and melatonin helped! ;) It was hard to wake up this morning but don't recall any major dreaming.

Thanks for these updates. Very interesting! I would give it a try, but there's no place in the area, or state for that matter.

The people doing cold showers have given me some courage:) I guess I bite the bullet and give cold showers a try. eeek!

Been doing the cold shower thing for five days now. The first two were with a bit of hot in them although the second one didn't feel like it at all! From the third one on, I figured that I would never be completely ready and just decided to go for it - I even washed my hair in that one.

While the initial cold was shocking, my current opinion is that it's really just a matter of wrapping your head around it for the most part. I can't say that I completely look forward to it yet but try to go into it with the frame of mind that I'm just going to do it - not much different from making myself do a lot of things I don't want to. For me, there's almost a subtle shift in my brain/thinking (?) while I'm in there where it really becomes okay over time meaning that I (sort of) relax into it but at the same time am completely aware of everything that's going on. That said, I might well feel differently if I were to try the cryo machine. ;)

I don't have the shivering that others have reported which is strange for me as I'm not a cold water person at all and have had terrible shakes from being in a pool/ocean in the past. If I can find a cryo place out here, I think it would be interesting to give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom