Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Re: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

Unfortunately there are none of these chambers in the Netherlands, atleast, not as far as I can tell.

The closest one to me is the Cryo Sauna Center in Antwerp. They charge 35E for people with chronic diseases and 50E for others.

Next month, another Cryo Sauna Center will open in Zottegem (also, Belgium) but this one will have a closed cabine. Which would be, I think, better for me, since then my head won't be out, and the cold air could reach my eye better.

Thing is, the virus is still present in my right eye, though the status is stable. It's not getting worse, but it isn't getting any better as well. I've read an article on the positive effects of cryotherapy on those with herpes simplex keratitis: _http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/727631

Twenty-one cases of epithelial herpetic keratitis were treated with cryotherapy and 14 cases were treated with Iodoxouridine (IDU). Cryotherapy was found statistically superior to IDU. The average healing time was 2.4 days for cryotherapy and 6.2 days for IDU. The advantages of cryotherapy are emphasized.

Even though it's still not quite certain if that's the virus I'm dealing with, but since the medication I get does help in a little way (indicating that it is a herpes virus), and since the description of herpes simplex keratitis fits what I'm going through (decreased vision among others), I'd say the chance is high that I'm dealing with keratitis.

I'll probably try it out once I have more time off, because I am rather busy with my internship. But I thought I'd bring this up for those in Belgium or nearby. Fwiw.

Oxajil, have you tried colloidal silver for your eye? Might be worth looking into. Rabelais has a site _lifesilver.com you may want to check out. You could also ask him his opinion about how to best attack your problem. Just a thought. Good luck with finding (and finding the time as well) a place for Cryogenic Chamber Therapy. :)

anart said:
I did my first cryogenic chamber therapy session today. It was quite an experience (and very cold!). I was in a single person unit, so it wasn't very big, and you remain standing for the 2.5 to 3 minutes while the nitrogen jets blast intermittently. The jets are fairly close to the skin so the blasts are the most uncomfortable part. I started to shiver pretty much right away and threw some G-rated expletives out as the time wore on. ;) In hindsight, it was over pretty quickly, though my fight or flight response did kick in! They had me turn every ten seconds or so to make sure the blasts don't always hit the same area of skin. When I first got out I was very jittery from the adrenaline, hands were shaking, and my blood pressure had gone up about ten points, but after 20 or so minutes I became really calm. At this point (about an hour and a half after) my mood is very good and I physically feel very good, though more hungry than usual. The only other things I've noticed so far is that my hearing was super clear when I walked out of there and it still is, which is a little bizarre actually, and that the slight neck ache I had going in there is gone completely.

Background: I have OA (Osteoarthritis) in my neck, entire spine and left shoulder (from a severe auto accident 30+ years ago and plantar fascitis in my right foot (really painful inflammation).

I had my first session yesterday and can compare my experience to Anart's almost exactly. One exception is that this chamber's jets actually rotated around the body so you didn't need to turn. My head was completely out of the chamber so I didn't feel claustrophobic or contained. It was cold, yes, but not as bad as I thought it would be (I think I had visions of being in a meat locker!) :) I wore socks on my hands and feet and otherwise bare skin elsewhere. When the jets would release the nitrogen I was told to look up so as to not breathe in the nitrogen. The therapist chatted with me as the session wore on making me feel very comfortable as the minutes ticked by. It was over before I knew it.

In addition to the effects Anart mentions (adrenaline kicking in, etc.) my OA pain areas had subsided significantly! I kept waiting all afternoon for the pain to slowly start returning but as of this morning, it is still the pain level it was almost immediately after the session.

Although the diet changes and herb (Devil's Claw Root) that I take for the OA have helped immensely with inflammation, I cannot believe how much less pain I have in just one session. I look forward to the next ones! I have a session tomorrow and 3 next week so I will post again next week on my progression. (I purchased a package of 10 at $597, otherwise individual sessions were $87 each).

One (good) note of caution:
As Anart mentioned (as did the therapist when I was scheduling the appt) you will feel energized. Do try to make the appts as early in the day as possible. Mine was at 11:15am and at 10:00pm last night I had to force myself to sleep! Well, some pipe breathing, POS and melatonin helped! ;) It was hard to wake up this morning but don't recall any major dreaming.

Yes, SeekinTruth I did try the colloidal silver, but it didn't really have that much of an effect. And I'll probably go to one of the centers in Belgium :)

1984 said:
my OA pain areas had subsided significantly!

Thanks for sharing 1984, that's amazing!

Thanks for posting your experiences, 1984. Great to hear you benefited so much. As more and more information is coming in from this experiment, more and more benefits are being logged. :)

Oxajil said:
Yes, SeekinTruth I did try the colloidal silver, but it didn't really have that much of an effect. And I'll probably go to one of the centers in Belgium :)

1984 said:
my OA pain areas had subsided significantly!

Thanks for sharing 1984, that's amazing!

OK. Was it the silver sols from lifesilver or some other colloidal silver. Because it seems the lifesilver products have some advantages to other silver colloids. FWIW.

I've been having bigger, higher-protein meals - and no snacking at all - for a while now, experimentally following Kruse's ideas.

In addition, I've begun having cold showers - some posts from others reporting on their experiences with this are missing after the server failure, I think - in any case, as for me I couldn't bring myself to do it at first - but trying out at first a gradual, step-by-step temperature reduction, it was doable - I had it a bit colder each time, and after a few times I could go straight to a fairly cool shower and decrease the temperature to the maximum, now barely bothered by it.

I do feel different - hard to be more specific at this time, but it feels like an increase in clarity. But since changing my meal proportions, frequencies and timings, I also sometimes get very tired for a while, typically once a day - and sometimes have a nap of up to about two hours. The cold shower is energizing, though.

SeekinTruth said:
Oxajil said:

OK. Was it the silver sols from lifesilver or some other colloidal silver. Because it seems the lifesilver products have some advantages to other silver colloids. FWIW.

If the problem is viral, I don't think it matters - silver (and antibiotics) kill bacteria, not viruses.

Oxajil said:
Thing is, the virus is still present in my right eye, though the status is stable. It's not getting worse, but it isn't getting any better as well. I've read an article on the positive effects of cryotherapy on those with herpes simplex keratitis: _http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/727631

Have you tried a dilute DMSO solution?

We use it at 25% for eyes and ears.

Laura said:
We've discussed the protein reduction factor that Gedgaudas suggests as the means to go into "repair" mode, but it seems that in order to do this naturally, one needs to deal with the leptin factor. And if the leptin mechanism is damaged, how to challenge the body to fix the mechanism that fixes the rest of the body? For some it may be easier because there is less damage to the systems, but for a good handful of us here, the damage was severe and early.

So, that's the deal here. We are hoping that this cryo therapy is going to do a bit more than just give us a cold rush and stop a bit of pain.

Interesting. I've probably had candida and the resulting autoimmune problems from leaky gut from my teen years, so there's quite a bit of damage to undo first. I can't take the cold at all, I feel it from the inside out, with just a breeze. It's freezing in our building, so if exposing oneself to cold should help to reset something, I've been doing that for a decade without success. ;) According to blood work, my thyroid is "within normal limits."

I've started sporadically getting the burning in my lower legs, I think it's from lots of spider veins, and having to sit all day for decades at work. If one of these cryo places was close by, I'd be willing to give it a try but I think I need to work towards getting in better shape via diet first.

Mrs. Peel said:
Interesting. I've probably had candida and the resulting autoimmune problems from leaky gut from my teen years, so there's quite a bit of damage to undo first. I can't take the cold at all, I feel it from the inside out, with just a breeze. It's freezing in our building, so if exposing oneself to cold should help to reset something, I've been doing that for a decade without success. ;) According to blood work, my thyroid is "within normal limits."

I've started sporadically getting the burning in my lower legs, I think it's from lots of spider veins, and having to sit all day for decades at work. If one of these cryo places was close by, I'd be willing to give it a try but I think I need to work towards getting in better shape via diet first.

Yeah. I'm just glad that I've been really good and working on this for 4 years now, so I think I'm ready. But I'm going to wear my support socks in there anyway and start out a bit slower than the young'ns.

Have you ever seen those poor people who have legs swelled so bad they spill out over their shoes? Well, that's where I was headed and I know it. And having feet that looked like that just horrified me. Thank goodness the swelling in my legs went away after 10 days on detox diet and using the FAR infrared sauna. Now I'm ready to repair the damage.

Psalehesost said:
I've been having bigger, higher-protein meals - and no snacking at all - for a while now, experimentally following Kruse's ideas.

In addition, I've begun having cold showers - some posts from others reporting on their experiences with this are missing after the server failure, I think - in any case, as for me I couldn't bring myself to do it at first - but trying out at first a gradual, step-by-step temperature reduction, it was doable - I had it a bit colder each time, and after a few times I could go straight to a fairly cool shower and decrease the temperature to the maximum, now barely bothered by it.

I do feel different - hard to be more specific at this time, but it feels like an increase in clarity. But since changing my meal proportions, frequencies and timings, I also sometimes get very tired for a while, typically once a day - and sometimes have a nap of up to about two hours. The cold shower is energizing, though.

My experiences are similar (i.e. taking naps and tiredness), yesterday I could also skip lunch, which I never could do and now normally I'm eating only a bit for lunch.

And since three days I'm having cold showers (I went straight cold), but must admit it is every time pretty hard to take that shower and not to follow the comfort zone (I only need to adjust the lever to the left side… :)), the water temperature is 10°C (50°F) and it takes me after the shower some time to adjust my boddy-temperature again, so I also thought a combination of cold shower and fir-sauna could be a good combination.

And as I posted in the lost post in this topic: it saves water and gas ;).

Effects of Whole-Body Cryotherapy vs. Far-Infrared vs. Passive Modalities on Recovery from Exercise-Induced
Muscle Damage in Highly-Trained Runners

Christophe Hausswirth1*, Julien Louis1,2, Franc¸ois Bieuzen1, Herve´ Pournot1,2, Jean Fournier1, Jean-
Robert Filliard3, Jeanick Brisswalter21 Research Department, National Institute of Sport, Expertise and Performance (INSEP), Paris, France, 2 Laboratory of Human Motricity, Education and Health, University of
Nice Sophia-Antipolis, Nice, France, 3 Medical Department, National Institute of Sport, Expertise and Performance (INSEP), Paris, France

http://www.uscryotherapy.com/assets/studies/hausswirth.pdf

Abstract

Enhanced recovery following physical activity and exercise-induced muscle damage (EIMD) has become a priority for athletes. Consequently, a number of post-exercise recovery strategies are used, often without scientific evidence of their benefits. Within this framework, the purpose of this study was to test the efficacy of whole body cryotherapy (WBC), far infrared (FIR) or passive (PAS) modalities in hastening muscular recovery within the 48 hours after a simulated trail running race. In 3 non-adjoining weeks, 9 well-trained runners performed 3 repetitions of a simulated trail run on a motorized treadmill, designed to induce muscle damage. Immediately (post), post 24 h, and post 48 h after exercise, all participants tested three different recovery modalities (WBC, FIR, PAS) in a random order over the three separate weeks. Markers of muscle damage (maximal isometric muscle strength, plasma creatine kinase [CK] activity and perceived sensations [i.e. pain, tiredness, well-being]) were recorded before, immediately after (post), post 1 h, post 24 h, and post 48 h after exercise. In all testing sessions, the simulated 48 min trail run induced a similar, significant amount of muscle damage. Maximal muscle strength and perceived sensations were recovered after the first WBC session (post 1 h), while recovery took 24 h with FIR, and was not attained through the PAS recovery modality. No differences in plasma CK activity were recorded between conditions. Three WBC sessions performed within the 48 hours after a damaging running exercise accelerate recovery from EIMD to a greater extent than FIR or PAS modalities.

Comparison of Cryo5 Air Cooling, Crushed Ice Packs, Ice Massage, and Ice Water Immersion for Tissue Cooling and Numbness

http://www.uscryotherapy.com/assets/studies/knight.pdf

Time-Course of Changes in Inflammatory Response after Whole-Body Cryotherapy Multi Exposures following
Severe Exercise

http://www.uscryotherapy.com/assets/studies/pournot.pdf

http://www.uscryotherapy.com/expect/

What to Expect

The first step toward faster recovery and better health is to ensure you have completed the Physical Readiness Questionnaire at our touch screen computer kiosks. The process takes less than 5 minutes, and is important in identifying any health conditions which may preclude you from using our whole body cryotherapy chamber.

After completing the questionnaire, our receptionist will review the various US Cryotherapy service offerings which include: whole body cryotherapy, localized cryotherapy, hydro message, and wellness drink options. You will be given a treatment card that will be handed to our technician instructing them of your selected options. If needed, you can change into proper attire (see What to Wear page) using our full amenities bathrooms which includes personal lockers and private shower rooms.

Once you are ready to begin treatment, you will be given safety instructions by a US Cryotherapy staff member and our US Cryotherapy safety video which reviews important instructions to ensure an enjoyable experience. Prior to chamber entry, you will be provided with necessary protective wear (see What to Wear page).

Our whole body cryotherapy chamber can accommodate up to four people at one time, so bring family members or friends to share your experience. Cold air therapy in the whole body chamber is a dry air -- due to the lack of moisture (humidity) or wind chill, and is not painful like an ice bath or immersion. During the treatment, your skin temperature will decrease more than 30°F over 3 minutes (or less) inside the chamber; however, your core temperature will only lower slightly. You will immediately warm after exiting the chamber, with full range of motion in your muscles and joints, unlike water or ice treatments, where the joints remain stiff for hours.

During your experience you will listen to music to pass the time and an attendant will be monitoring your every movement through a large glass window at the technician station outside the chamber. The chamber doors are incapable of locking, so if you feel uncomfortable, you can easily exit the chamber at any time. If you are intimidated about going alone, no worries, our friendly staff is always available to go in with you!

What to Wear

Because of the exposure to extremely cold temperatures, there are mandatory requirements for apparel to be worn in the chamber. You should arrive in or bring the following gym attire: Men recommended: (swimsuit or shorts, T-shirt, socks, and gym shoes). Women recommended: (swimsuit or shorts and top, socks and gym shoes). If you do not have gym shoes or socks, US Cryotherapy provides Kloggs and socks in various sizes for your use. US Cryotherapy will also provide a complimentary pair of gloves for your use at the chamber. You will be provided a headband to cover your ears, and a respiratory mask to cover your mouth and nose. If desired, you will be offered forearm and calf sleeve covers for hyper-sensitive skin. You will have covering for your (fingers, toes, nose & ears) which is simply precautionary. Please avoid wearing jeans, slacks, or other loose fitting clothing as they have a tendency to harden immediately, making walking more difficult. Shirts, shorts, and custom headbands are available for purchase at the Roseville center.

This short duration of exposure would be safe even without the protective apparel. However, US Cryotherapy insists that you wear the mandatory cover for your skin and respiratory protection and to maximize the benefits of your experience.

You should not exercise or shower prior to the chamber treatment. Any type of body condensation will freeze during exposure. It is recommended that you pat yourself dry with a towel before leaving the locker room, and do not apply lotions, oils, cologne or any alcohol based products prior to treatment.

Laura said:
Have you tried a dilute DMSO solution?

We use it at 25% for eyes and ears.

Yes I have, I diluted it to 25% with saline solution. But because it stressed my eye, and the virus started acting agressive, I stopped using it. It didn't work for me, unfortunately. Maybe I did something wrong while diluting it, but I'm afraid to try again.

Back
Top Bottom