DMSA for heavy metal detox - how long available?

hlat said:
For DMSA and other supplements that are to be taken multiple times a day, how far apart in time during the day do they need to be spread? Can I just take the full daily dosage all at once instead?

I want to start the first cycle tonight after mercury removal or tomorrow.

The protocol for DMSA suggests spacing it out. The first in the morning, the second in the afternoon and the last one in the evening. Ideally, all of them should be taken on an empty stomach. If it makes it easier just take one before each meal. I usually try and take most of my supplements in the morning and magnesium and Vit C in the evening time.

Today is my 4th day of cycle 1, and now that the DMSA portion is done I do feel better. No gas, loose stool, or gurgling stomach. Still somewhat tired, though patience seems increased and irritability decreased.

I have been sticking exactly to the protocol that I confirmed here. I have not been combining doses, and having been trying my best to take the DMSA and zinc on an empty stomach. I use an electronic scale that measures out to 0.01g for the powdered supplements ALA, NAC, and taurine. The scale was a couple dollars on ebay. I've been taking 4 tablespoons of liposomal vitamin C per dose as a rough estimate; I figured it was over 3g.

Some gassy symptoms returned. It seemed to return when I took the supplements on an empty stomach.

I've slipped on the timing yesterday and today, so the spacing of the twice a day supplements was reduced to only 4 hours yesterday and probably 6 hours later today.

I am glad to be done with the first cycle. In the last 2 days, I had to overcome some mental resistance to taking the supplements. I think it was because I had to measure out and I didn't like the taste of the powder supplements. If I could do it over again, I would try to find a good pill form of ALA, NAC, and taurine.

I will start the second cycle after my next mercury removal.

Five years ago the doctors wanted for our autistic son his first so called 'provoked metals urine test'.
The tests main purpose is to get an idea about the heavy metal toxicity of the body tissues, to provoke the toxins out of the body tissues they gave an oral DMSA before they collect the urine sample. A typical test result looks like the one at below :
_http://www.healthlinkpartners.com/testkits/images/test-pdf/Metals%20-%20Urine.pdf

After they test our son with this 'provoked metals urine test' protocol they found out elevated levels of both mercury and lead. So his doctor started an IV chelation therapy. The protocol of the therapy was like this:
Odd weeks:
EDTA-Ca (*) (is a better chelator for lead toxicity)
NAC
Glutathion
Vitamin C
B12
(*) : as normal EDTA is dangeourus for IV application the doctor used EDTA-Ca instead.

Even weeks:
DMSP (is a better chelator for mercury toxicity)
NAC
Glutathion
Vitamin C
B12

After a couple of months we had visited another DAN doctor and he switched our son’s IV chelation protocol with an oral chelation protocol which includes only DMSA pills. We stayed bit on this oral chelation protocol a little bit, but this oral protocol had leaded to candida overgrowth. Our son’s diet at that time was gluten-free, casein-free and excito-toxin-free but not carb-free.

Leo the Thracian said:
After a couple of months we had visited another DAN doctor and he switched our son’s IV chelation protocol with an oral chelation protocol which includes only DMSA pills. We stayed bit on this oral chelation protocol a little bit, but this oral protocol had leaded to candida overgrowth. Our son’s diet at that time was gluten-free, casein-free and excito-toxin-free but not carb-free.

IV bypasses the gut so it is safer in that regard. It is a reassurance that someone is guiding this treatment. The protocol for the oral chelation requires a significant gut healing preparation, sometimes one year or more. This is described in the Autism Research Institute documents and other functional medicine guidelines which base their data on them.

A dietary intake of carbs could be the setback, but it could also mean the gut was not healed before the DMSA protocol. You can check the Life Without Bread thread for some idea of what other members tried to heal their guts. Also searching "leaky gut" and related keywords.

Taking care of the gut is rather a long-term process and one has to keep in mind that even a molecule of gluten could trigger a reaction that will take at least 6 months to calm down.

Thank you Psyche

Psyche said:
IV bypasses the gut so it is safer in that regard. It is a reassurance that someone is guiding this treatment. The protocol for the oral chelation requires a significant gut healing preparation, sometimes one year or more. This is described in the Autism Research Institute documents and other functional medicine guidelines which base their data on them.

A dietary intake of carbs could be the setback, but it could also mean the gut was not healed before the DMSA protocol. You can check the Life Without Bread thread for some idea of what other members tried to heal their guts. Also searching "leaky gut" and related keywords.

Taking care of the gut is rather a long-term process and one has to keep in mind that even a molecule of gluten could trigger a reaction that will take at least 6 months to calm down.

Had another visit to the dentist 2 days ago for mercury removal, so I'm almost done with day 2 of the second DMSA cycle. I seem to be doing better than the first cycle. No loose stool, and barely any gas. I've only had an empty stomach for the DMSA and zinc. The rest of the supplements I am taking after I eat, and I think that is helping prevent upset or gurgling stomach. Also, for the powder supplements that I have to measure out, I've made the taste more tolerable. I put a bit of water in my mouth before pouring the powder in my mouth, and then I chug it down with more water. The water seems to lessen the taste of the powder on my tongue.

Had a bad day today. It was the last day of DMSA for this cycle. I was exhausted so I took a nap around noon. When I woke up, I had a headache. I had some lunch and did the full EE, which I hadn't done I over a week. I was cold during EE, which is unusual for me. I felt a better for a little while, before having the headache return stronger, feeling feverish, and feeling so sluggish and tired that at times it was difficult to move. I told my spouse I was suddenly getting sick. Apparently something is going around in my area, as my child started having cough and diaherrea 2 days ago and several nearby relatives also got sick. I was pretty miserable until late night, when I had diaherrea for a very long time. I took a shower and then had a little more diaherrea afterwards. However, now I feel better, like the headache and fever has reduced and I am feel less tired. So hopefully my body got rid of some bad stuff.

I am asking for help. I would like recommendations for great brands of ALA, NAC, and taurine in pill capsule form. Or any other feedback you would like to give.

I cannot stand the bad taste of the powdered form of ALA, NAC, and taurine. I tried putting water in my mouth before putting the powder in my mouth. I tried mixing the powder in vitamin C and drinking. Those didn't work. The bad taste is creating resistance that I look forward to the detox cycle ending tomorrow, and cannot imagine having back to back cycles because I need a break from the bad taste.

For the next cycle, I already switched the brand of zinc from Vitamin Code to Thorne Research. So Thorne Research is my default at the moment.

All of those things are available in capsule form on amazon.

I've received my supplements and I'm going to start my first DMSA round this friday. So, let me reformulate what hlat posted earlier so I'm sure I'm not gonna do anything stupid. My changes and comments are in blue.

###

DMSA round : 14 days

Every days :

NAC 600mg, taking this amount 2 times per day.

Homemade liposomal Vitamin C, 3 times per day.

Vitamin B-Complex, 1 time per day.

Vitamin E 1000 IU, taking this amount 1 time per day.

Melatonin 6mg, taking this amount 1 time per day. Take before bedtime.

Taurine 200mg, taking this amount 2 times per day.

First three days :

DMSA 200mg, taking this amount 3 times per day, for only the first 3 days. Take on empty stomach 30 minutes before eating. Take alone without any other supplements.

ALA 100mg, taking this amount 2 times per day. (maybe not during the first two or three rounds !)

Last eleven days :

If I've understand correctly, you're not supposed to take mineral supplements the days you're taking DMSA.

Zinc 50mg, taking this amount 1 time per day. Take on empty stomach.

Magnesium Malate / Glycinate : 100mg, three times per day

Multi-Minerals supplements (Calcium, Phosphorus, Iodine, Selenium, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Potassium) : 1 time per day ?

###

Comments and modifications are welcome !

I took everything everyday, except DMSA. I think the part about taking DMSA alone means that you space it out versus the other supplements, so that taking DMSA is separated by a few hours from taking the other supplements.

Tomek said:
First three days :

DMSA 200mg, taking this amount 3 times per day, for only the first 3 days. Take on empty stomach 30 minutes before eating. Take alone without any other supplements.

ALA 100mg, taking this amount 2 times per day. (maybe not during the first two or three rounds !)

I might be in the left field but I think that you have to take ALA every day.

From my understanding, ALA is a very powerful antioxydant that crosses the blood-brain barrier, and you don't want to mess with whatever might be inside your brain unless you've done a few DMSA rounds without ALA, to lower the load of heavy metals inside the rest of your body. But you might be right : once you started your first DMSA / ALA round, maybe you should take ALA every days. Also, I'm pretty sure that you're NOT suppose to take any mineral supplements on the DMSA days. Anyone can confirm that, regarding ALA and mineral supplements ?

Edit : from the DMSA protocol I've received when I ordered my capsules from dmsachelation.com

DMSAProtocol2012.pdf said:
Alpha-Lipoic Acid - ALA
After your 4th cycle, your “body burden” of heavy metals should be low enough to allow you to
begin chelating the heavy metals from your brain. Heavy Metals in your brain cause many
symptoms and serious illnesses and MUST be removed to improve health and wellness and
prevent diseases later in life.
You should now introduce Alpha-Lipoic Acid (powdered ALA) to your treatment protocol. ALA
allows mercury and other heavy metals to cross the blood-brain barrier and allow them to be
excreted from the body. Mercury has a particular affinity for the brain and ALA combined with
DMSA Synergy is the only way you can safely remove mercury from your brain.
While chelating with DMSA Synergy, simply take 100mg ALA at the same time you take your
DMSA Synergy capsules - a total of 3 doses ALA per day. Alpha-Lipoic Acid is readily
available over the counter at virtually any pharmacy or health food store, no prescription is
required. A pure pharmaceutical grade ALA powder can also be purchased for $23.95
(shipping included) - Click Here for ALA

Back
Top Bottom