DMSA for heavy metal detox - how long available?

I wasn't going to bring this up, but you mentioned the protocol from dmsachelation.com. I would not rely on what they say in figuring out the protocol for DMSA. I ordered DMSA, ALA, and NAC from dmsachelation.com, and received the bottles in November 2013. The NAC bottles had an expiration date of February 2014. I told them that was unacceptable, and asked for replacements. They said they forgot to update the expiration dates and that the NAC was bottled in October 2013. I could not take their word for it and disregard the printed expiration date. On their approval, I mailed back the bottles, and they mailed me bottles with correct February 2015 dates and refunded me my shipping cost.

I will not be buying from dmsachelation.com anymore. I will be researching the suggestions from Jason (ocean59) on particular brands of DMSA, ALA, NAC, and taurine in capsule form.

I relied on the protocol discussed in this thread.

Selenium question. I have 2 kinds to choose from: Selenium (citrate) or Selenium (selenomethionine). Which one is better?

I am in the process of buying new brands of supplements. I really like the brand Pure Encapsulations, and I am trying to change most of my detox supplements to that brand.

hlat said:
Selenium question. I have 2 kinds to choose from: Selenium (citrate) or Selenium (selenomethionine). Which one is better?

I would choose the second one. Citrate is good to prevent kidney stones and stuff like that, but usually there is magnesium citrate and potassium citrate. If you don't have kidney stone problems to begin with, then it is better to go for selenomethionine.

It looks like the FDA is responsible for DMSA disappearing from the US.

_http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcementactions/warningletters/2008/ucm1048065.htm

RHG & Company, Inc., dba Vital Nutrients 18-Nov-08

Public Health Service
Food and Drug Administration

New England District
One Montvale Avenue
Stoneham, Massachusetts 02180
(781) 596-7700
FAX: (781) 596-7896

WARNING LETTER

NWE-03-09W

VIA FEDERAL EXPRESS

November 18, 2008

Mr. Enrico Liva, President
RHG & Company, Inc., dba Vital Nutrients
45 Kenneth Dooley Drive
Middletown, CT 06457

Dear Mr. Liva:

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Investigators conducted an inspection of your manufacturing facility located at 45 Kenneth Dooley Drive, Middletown, CT, on April 23 - 24, 2008, and again on June 20, and 25 - 26, 2008. Our inspections revealed that your firm manufactures and distributes products under the Vital Nutrients label and markets them as dietary supplements. This letter concerns your firm's marketing of DMSA (meso-2, 3-dimercaptosuccinic acid) 100mg and 250mg capsules, as well as other products, on your website, www.vitalnutrients.net. According to the information on your website these products are intended to cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent diseases, or to affect the structure or function of the body. Examples of statements on your website that document these intended uses include, but are not limited to, the following:

DMSA

• "*DMSA (meso-2, 3-dimercaptosuccinic acid) supports the natural mobilization of heavy metals, primarily from soft tissue, especially the blood, brain, kidney, and liver. DMSA is recommended as a single oral chelating agent, supporting normal detoxification of a number of heavy metals."

• "DMSA is recommended as a single oral agent or in combination with other chelating agents for the detoxification of a number of heavy metals, including mercury, lead, cadmium, and arsenic."

• "DMSA reverses some of the lead-induced immunotoxicity."

• "DMSA increases the excretion of zinc and copper."

Your website also included a "DMSA (meso-2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid) monograph prepared by Herb Joiner-Bay, N.D. and updated by Enrico Liva, RPH, ND," which cites a number of scientific references regarding the use of DMSA as a chelating agent. Furthermore, your product catalog provides a scientific reference "Safety and efficacy of meso-2, 3-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) in children with elevated blood lead concentrations. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2000;38(4):365-75".

DMSA is a drug, as defined in section 201(g)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act); 21 U.S.C. § 321(g)(l), because it is intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease. Further, Vital Nutrients' DMSA product is a new drug as defined by section 201(p) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 321(p), because it is not generally recognized as safe and effective for its labeled uses. Under sections 301(d) and 505(a) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 331(d) and 355(a), a new drug may not be introduced or delivered for introduction into interstate commerce unless an FDA-approved application is in effect for it. There is no approved new drug application (NDA) for Vital Nutrients' DMSA product under either section 505(b) or (j) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 355(b) or (j). Thus, your sale of DMSA without an approved application violates these provisions of the Act.

DMSA is labeled and marketed on your website as a dietary supplement. However, section 201(ff)(3)(B) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 321(ff)(3)(B), specifically excludes from the dietary supplement definition articles that are approved as new drugs under section 505 of the Act (21 U.S.C. § 355), unless the article in question was marketed as a dietary supplement or food before its approval as a drug. FDA approved new drug applications for products containing meso-2,3 dimercaptosuccinic acid on January 30, 1991 (marketed under the name "CHEMET," for the treatment of lead poisoning in pediatric patients) and on May 18, 1982 (marketed under the name "DMSA Kit for the Preparation of Technetium TC-99M Succimer for Injection," for use as an aid in the scintigraphic evaluation of renal parenchymal disorders). To the best of our knowledge, DMSA was not marketed as a dietary supplement or a food before those dates; therefore, regardless of its intended uses, your DMSA product is excluded from the dietary supplement definition.

Furthermore, because this product is offered for conditions that are not amenable to self-diagnosis and treatment by individuals who are not medical practitioners, adequate directions cannot be written so that a layman can use it safely for it its intended uses. Thus, DMSA's labeling fails to bear adequate directions for its intended uses, causing it to be misbranded under section 502(f)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 352(f)(1).

While reviewing your website, we noticed that you were promoting other products for disease treatment and/or prevention. The unlawful disease treatment and prevention claims on your website were too numerous to list in this letter. Two examples of violative products, however, are your Co-enzyme Q10 and Glucosamine products. Statements on your website that document that these products are intended to be used to prevent, treat, or cure disease conditions include, but are not limited to, the following:

Co-enzyme Q10

CLINICAL APPLICATIONS

• "Congestive Heart Failure"
• "Angina pectoris"
• "Breast Cancer"
• "Muscular dystrophy"
• "Studies indicate usefulness in treatment of cardiovascular disorders, breast cancer, and muscular dystrophy."

Glucosamine

INDICATIONS

• "Osteoarthritis"
• "Rheumatoid arthritis with structural complications"
• "Decreases pain, reduces tenderness, improves mobility and function in osteoarthritis."
• "Should be considered basic therapy for the management of primary or secondary degenerative osteoarthrosis disorders."

Co-enzyme Q10 and Glucosamine are drugs, as defined by section 201(g)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 321(g)(1), because they are intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease. Moreover, these products are new drugs, as defined by section 201(p) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 321(p), because they are not generally recognized as safe and effective for the labeled uses. Under Sections 301(d) and 505(a) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 331(d) and 355(a), a new drug may not be introduced or delivered for introduction into interstate commerce unless an FDA-approved application is in effect for it. There are no approved new drug applications for Vital Nutrients' Co-enzyme Q10 or Glucosamine products as required by Section 505(b) or (j) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 355(b) or (j). Your sale of Co-enzyme Q10 and Glucosamine without approved applications violates these provisions of the Act.

Additionally, because these products are offered for conditions that are not amendable to self-diagnosis and treatment by individuals who are not medical practitioners, adequate directions cannot be written so that a layman can use these products safely for the intended uses. Thus, the Co-enzyme Q10 and Glucosamine labeling fails to bear adequate directions for their intended uses, causing them to be misbranded under section 502(f)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 342(a)(1).

The issues and violations cited in this letter are not intended to be an all-inclusive statement of violations that exist in connection with your products. You are responsible for investigating and determining the causes of the violations identified above and for preventing their recurrence or the occurrence of other violations. It is your responsibility to assure that your firm complies with all requirements of federal law and FDA regulations.

You should take prompt action to correct the violations cited in this letter. Failure to promptly correct these violations may result in legal action without further notice, including, without limitation, seizure and injunction. Other federal agencies may take this Warning Letter into account when considering the award of contracts.

Within fifteen working days of receipt of this letter, please notify this office in writing of the specific steps that you have taken to correct violations. Include an explanation of each step being taken to prevent the recurrence of violations, as well as copies of related documentation. If you cannot complete corrective action within fifteen working days, state the reason for the delay and the time within which you will complete the correction. If you no longer manufacture or market the aforementioned products, your response should so indicate, including the reasons that, and the date on which, you ceased production. Additionally, if another firm manufactures these products, identified above, your reply should include the name and address of the manufacturer. If the firm from which you receive these products is not the manufacturer, please include the name of your supplier in addition to the manufacturer.

Address your reply to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, One Montvale Avenue, Stoneham, MA 02180, Attention: Amber G. Wardwell, Compliance Officer. You may reach Ms. Wardwell at (718) 596-7823.

Sincerely,

/S/

Anne P. Reid
Acting New England District Director

The last of my mercury fillings was removed today, so I started a detox cycle. This will be my third cycle, and I plan on finishing 6 cycles very soon.

I made changes to the brands of supplements I am using. The brand I am using most is Pure Encapsulations, because they have less fillers. I also recommending a different brand of DMSA.

Thank you to everyone for their recommendations and input.

Supplement amounts for 1 cycle which consists of 14 days. 6 cycles needed.

DMSA 200mg, taking this amount 3 times per day, for only the first 3 days. Take on empty stomach 30 minutes before eating. Take alone without any other supplements.
I am switching to this for my next cycle.
_http://www.vrp.com/dmsa-100-mg-45-caps

ALA 100mg, taking this amount 2 times per day.
_http://www.vitacost.com/pure-encapsulations-alpha-lipoic-acid-100-mg-120-capsules

NAC 600mg, taking this amount 2 times per day.
_http://www.vitacost.com/pure-encapsulations-nac-600-mg-180-capsules-1

Vitamin C 3g, taking this amount 2 times per day.
I am taking 3 tablespoons of liposomal vitamin C that I make myself with these ingredients.
_https://inteligentvitaminc.com//cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_11&products_id=39
_http://healthforce.com/longevity-immunity/non-gmo-lecithin-powder

Zinc 50mg, taking this amount 1 time per day. Take on empty stomach.
_http://www.pureformulas.com/zinc-30-60-vegetable-capsules-by-pure-encapsulations.html

Selenium 200 mcg, taking this amount 1 time per day.
_http://www.pureformulas.com/selenium-selenomethionine-60-vegetable-capsules-by-pure-encapsulations.html

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxal phosphate) 50mg, taking this amount 1 time per day.
I am taking 2 of these.
_http://www.vitacost.com/thorne-research-pyridoxal-5-phosphate-180-vegetarian-capsules-1

Vitamin E 1000 IU, taking this amount 1 time per day.
I am taking 3 of these.
_http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-natural-vitamin-e-400-iu-250-liquid-capsules-4

Melatonin 6mg, taking this amount 1 time per day. Take before bedtime.
_http://www.pureformulas.com/melatonin-3-mg-60-vegetable-capsules-by-pure-encapsulations.html
(I am finishing what I have of these before I switch to Pure Encapsulations. _http://www.vitacost.com/mrm-melatonin-3-mg-60-vegetarian-capsules-1)

Taurine 200mg, taking this amount 2 times per day.
_http://pureformulas.com/taurine-500-mg-60-vegetable-capsules-by-pure-encapsulations.html

I did 5 full cycles, and I decided to stop for now. Each cycle was more disabling than the previous one. I suffered from anxiety, nervousness, irritabiliy, and chest pains. It's been a little more than two weeks since the last cycle and I'm feeling better now. But I don't notice any significant health changes, compared to before the chelation.

Gaby said:
hlat said:

I would choose the second one. Citrate is good to prevent kidney stones and stuff like that, but usually there is magnesium citrate and potassium citrate. If you don't have kidney stone problems to begin with, then it is better to go for selenomethionine.

Should one be taking selenium if one drinks a lot of bone broth?

davey72 said:

Not necessarily, unless you are following a specific protocol for detox. Bone broth is good stuff, rich in minerals and other nutrients:

Top 5 reasons why bone broth is the bomb
http://www.sott.net/article/256246-Top-5-reasons-why-bone-broth-is-the-bomb

Stock vs Broth - Are You Confused?
http://www.sott.net/article/257416-Stock-vs-Broth-Are-You-Confused

Gaby said:
davey72 said:

Not necessarily, unless you are following a specific protocol for detox. Bone broth is good stuff, rich in minerals and other nutrients:

Top 5 reasons why bone broth is the bomb
http://www.sott.net/article/256246-Top-5-reasons-why-bone-broth-is-the-bomb

Stock vs Broth - Are You Confused?
http://www.sott.net/article/257416-Stock-vs-Broth-Are-You-Confused

The reason i ask is that i always see warnings not to take more than 200 micrograms/day. How dangerous is it to overload, and can one drink too much broth, or overload in any other minerals?

davey72 said:
The reason i ask is that i always see warnings not to take more than 200 micrograms/day. How dangerous is it to overload, and can one drink too much broth, or overload in any other minerals?

I would not worry about loading too much on broth, your body will tell you when it doesn't want more. The warnings are mostly for supplements like selenium, zinc and potassium, but for the most part, if you take too much minerals... the surplus will be excreted (i.e. the laxative effect).

Tomek said:
I did 5 full cycles, and I decided to stop for now. Each cycle was more disabling than the previous one. I suffered from anxiety, nervousness, irritabiliy, and chest pains. It's been a little more than two weeks since the last cycle and I'm feeling better now. But I don't notice any significant health changes, compared to before the chelation.

I'm sorry to hear the cycles becoming more disabling for you. I hope the next one is better for you.

I'm getting to the end of day 2 of this cycle, and I've been feeling pretty good overall. No upset stomach or diaherrea. Mood is fine. My back is a little sore right now, though I think that's from yard work and putting together two bed frames and homemade mattresses for my children today. If anything, I feel a sense of accomplishment for finally getting their beds done after it had been postponed for a couple weeks. I don't feel like loading the dishwasher, though I feel like that frequently.

Finished the last cycle of the DMSA protocol.
The three first cycles was the most challenging ones, experiencing feverish symptoms, feeling very lethargic and toxic.
The third cycle was the hardest and I had to cancel the third day due to a the worst headache since my migraine attacks
which luckily has disappeared since the implementation of the ketogenic diet.

The last three cycles went without any problems and the strong smell after being to the bathroom had almost diminished.
I implemented ALA to the protocol in the fourth cycle but did not notice any worsening symptoms due to this and tested the
tolerance by inreasing the DMSA pr serving from 200 mg to 300 mg the two last cycles experiencing no change in symptoms.

In the three first cycles I used the DMSA from Thorne supplements and with the 3 last cycles I used the DMSA synergy from dmsachelation.
The other supplements was taken according to the protocol in Detoxification and Healing, but using NAC instead of Glutathione.
I also used the FIR blanket every three days and coffee enema every second day on average.

The beginning was very hard and I think I maybe increased the detox reaction too much at the beginning by using the FIR blanket and coffee enema
at too high a frequency in conjunction with the supplementation in the first cycles.

I am currently on the 4th DMSA cycle and have noticed some changes. Since starting the heavy metal detox regime from Detoxification and Healing by Sidney Baker, I have noticed my thinking has become more clear and I can focus more. I have more energy and generally feel better.

I have not had too many difficulties with DMSA. Sometimes I will feel nauseous for a couple of minutes and then it goes away. During the first two cycles I experienced muscle twitches all over my body, especially in my right foot, but these have lessened a lot, and I also had some brain fog going on. I still experience a strong smell after using the bathroom, almost like something from a tire shop, overpowering chemical smell.

During this cycle I am noticing a bit more body aches, especially in my shoulders and upper back, but the aches are very reduced after using the FIR sauna and taking vitamin C, but I really have been feeling better, more focused, and motivated.

Another change that I have noticed, is after ending the third detox cycle, I started to develop three small white bumps under and around my right eye. I don't think it's ache, they don't hurt or anything, they just showed up one day and are not going away. I don't know what they are. :huh:

mimimari said:
Another change that I have noticed, is after ending the third detox cycle, I started to develop three small white bumps under and around my right eye. I don't think it's ache, they don't hurt or anything, they just showed up one day and are not going away. I don't know what they are. :huh:

Weird, that is the first time I read something of the kind. A strange coincidence? Can you find a pic on the net that is similar?

Gaby said:
mimimari said:

Weird, that is the first time I read something of the kind. A strange coincidence? Can you find a pic on the net that is similar?

Only thing I can think of is it might be related to xanthelasma - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthelasma

Back
Top Bottom