Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

Aragorn said:
While doing the breathing try NOT to SWALLOW. Swallowing is the defence mechanism, or the distracting "outer barrier" of the emotional armouring. If you must swallow do it, but try to keep it to a minimum.

Wow, that is news to me. I was swallowing a lot because I found my mouth was full of mucus from all the swift exhaling during the ba-haa portion of the exercise. Why is it that swallowing is a defense mechanism, and where has this idea originated?

I have not been able to get the videos, bandwidth caps on my end, but I have spent a few days getting the breathing exercises to work with my tai chi form. i just can't sit still, if any of ya know what I mean.

I think "WOW" is the only way to sum it up. quite a trick at first to actually learn to work those muscles in and around the neck and still keep the shoulders and chest relax, but that is finally working itself out. i managed to get past just circling this morning and actually work through the form.

Colors got really vivid, the greens and browns of the forest seemed to just burst out, sounds were weird sorta like tunnel hearing? i heard less over all static noises but what i was hearing was far clearer. I didn't get that sitting down holding an asana, i think my mind just wanders too much if I am just trying to sit and breath.

What if you do these exercises while listening to the sound of water ? for example a river or something , the sound of water passing by? would that make the effect more powerfull?

One can for example put up youtube or something with the sound of water that passes by.

I will be experimenting with that, unless if its not adviced.

- Bo

Just yesterday I got a really strong burst of ear ringing when driving my car in an underground car park, slowed down to a crawl and avoided an accident. Can't explain it, sometimes these things just happen. Smiley
I experienced the same three days ago when I was resting on the bed and I felt a stabbing sensation in my right ear.
Yesterday at night, after do the breathing with the prayer on the bed too, for second time in my life I felt a sound very clearly in my head, a sort of toc toc toc toc toc very fast similar to a sound of tomograph with a constant frequency. I didn´t feel afraid but something that doesn´t like me was that I had nightmares with vampires that night.

To Laura and those involved in making the video and audio productions:

Thank you very much! All of the parts of this project are professionally done and the quality is excellent. I look forward to working these exercises into my daily routine.

Seamas

Approaching Infinity said:
I'll try to explain better. When I do belly breathing, my gut extends naturally, as a result of being forced out by the lowering diaphragm. I don't force it out using abdominal muscles. However, with chest breathing, I find that I can do it naturally, which extends the ribs a bit, but I can also force my chest out a bit to help get more air in. So my question is, should the shoulders/back extend as a result of the deep breathing, as the belly expands as a result of diaphragmatic breathing, naturally and without effort? Or are you supposed to push your arms out a bit, arch your back a bit, to create more volume in your chest cavity for lung expansion? Thanks!

It might help to remember that your lungs are three dimensional, so feeling your back expand is the right sensation. The arching cat stretch in the video is about giving room to the lungs all around. When I get to the chest breathing, I feel my back expanding as well as my fingers moving apart in the front as a balloon would when filling with air.

Doing the upper chest breathing tonight, I was again visualizing balloons filling up under my collar bones to create enough space to fill the count. I got this lovely "floaty" feeling after. It like the bones were sitting gently in place instead of being locked at the throat and shoulder. It stayed all the rest of the meditation, although I had to be aware of not tensing them up during the Warrior breath. Even more interesting, on the third round of the BaHa, there was an impulse to jiggle my head just a bit. There was a snap, and my skull repositioned itself on the neck bones. It feels much more at ease now.

Lastly since it was sunset and I was outside (birds make a great soundtrack!) I tried spinning after the meditation, when it is just music. Did a full 33 spins counterclockwise, not my natural direction, without the least dizziness.

This is wonderful stuff!!

Herondancer

I've converted the video to iPod format (mp4, H264, 320x240). Its size is 42 MB instead of 186 MB of the original, but still reasonable quality. If it is useful, it could be uploaded as a low bandwidth alternative.

Thank you very much for this breathing and meditation program!

Data said:
I've converted the video to iPod format (mp4, H264, 320x240). Its size is 42 MB instead of 186 MB of the original, but still reasonable quality. If it is useful, it could be uploaded as a low bandwidth alternative.
That would be great to have! I'm transferring as much as possible to my iTouch, so that it's always available (running the video on the computer in my exercise area is not very convenient). If the above could be made available as a download, that would be much appreciated.

foofighter said:
That would be great to have! I'm transferring as much as possible to my iTouch, so that it's always available (running the video on the computer in my exercise area is not very convenient). If the above could be made available as a download, that would be much appreciated.

This video plays also normally on computers and web pages. Further, I've removed the black borders in the video. But I don't know if this version is desired by the QFG. Please let me know if it is.

Thank you all for the video and audio files. Downloaded and watched the video and listened to the audio once so far. Can't wait to try the whole exercise today.

I have a question about the pipe breathing, I think I understand how it should feel on the exhale but how should it feel on the inhale? Like the way I'm doing it now is in through the nose and trying to do the constriction so it feels like the air is running down the back of my throat . If thats clear enough. Like if I try to over do it I'll start making whistling noises with the back of my throat. Is that right? Then on the exhale the air passes up the back of my throat and mostly running across the top palette of my mouth with the haaaaa sound.

Laura said:
BUT, the prayer/meditation can easily be done without paying attention to me at all except as a "background voice." You can pace your repetitions as you like and feel comfortable. You can also turn the audio off and continue that part completely on your own.

When I am in deep meditation, I hardly breath at all, so I know what you mean.

Heart-felt thanks for the program, Laura. I had a question regarding the prayer. After doing bio-energetic breathing, when I lie down to rest, my breathing naturally becomes very slow in the sense that there are very short inhalations and exhalations with long gaps between breaths. When you say that we can pace the repetitions , does it still mean that the prayer is supposed to be synchronized with the in-breath and out-breath only and not in the gaps between the breaths? Before I saw the instructions, I had tried to incorporate the prayer in a way that I would say the phrases mentally in all the 4 components in the breath cycle ( in-breath - gap - out-breath - gap). This way it takes 1 breath cycle to complete the prayer when I do it after the bioenergetic breathing. I changed it after listening to the instructions to only in-breath and out breath so that now it takes 9 breath cycles to complete. My tendency to zone out in the prayer part is much greater if I allow the natural very slow breathing compared to following the relatively faster breaths with the prayer synchronized to the inhalations and exhalations only.
BTW, the breathing out through the mouth rather than the nose (Aol method) is much more comfortable in the bio-energetic part . The fast breath cycle in the nose method naturally slows down somewhat when I use the mouth for exhalation.
TIA

Pinkerton said:
Aragorn said:
While doing the breathing try NOT to SWALLOW. Swallowing is the defence mechanism, or the distracting "outer barrier" of the emotional armouring. If you must swallow do it, but try to keep it to a minimum.

Wow, that is news to me. I was swallowing a lot because I found my mouth was full of mucus from all the swift exhaling during the ba-haa portion of the exercise. Why is it that swallowing is a defense mechanism, and where has this idea originated?

I'll try to get in touch with my teacher to ask him about
this. I've sent him a SMS to ask if he has returned from
his holidays, no answer yet. I have vague memory of reading
about this swallowing thing also in some of the books by
Alexander Lowen-not able to check that out now,sorry.

I'd like to add that the way I've been instructed to do
the BE-breathing is try not to have any, not even a
microscopic, pause between the shift of in/out-out/in breath.
That's why it's also called round breathing.

foofighter said:
Data said:
Since I have not intenet access at home, it will be great to have it in mp4 format. I have still not been able to upload the video for 3 days now as it taking too long (59h!!!). Have tried to leave my computer running all the night, but seems like our server connection is reset every morning so the operations is always interrupted. So above solution can really help.

blindpsychic said:
Like the way I'm doing it now is in through the nose and trying to do the constriction so it feels like the air is running down the back of my throat .
Yeah, it sounds familiar. The air feels like running down through the back of your throat, and it feels like there is less air being drawn through your nose. When you breath normally through your nose, there is much more "air noise" coming from your nose. I hope that made sense.

Back
Top Bottom