Faces of Caesar

Thanks for posting that link 3DStudent, never would have thought to search for something like that - very cool 👍

I agree, pretty cool!

I did a search to see if I can get the Arles bust, but as others said, it's difficult to get one. So, with Caesar's birthday coming up, I ordered a small size picture of the Arles bust and a nice frame to go with it! If anyone would like to do the same, I used this picture and changed it to 600 dpi in Photoshop.

What a lovely tribute Oxajil, I’d never thought of that 😊

Such a bloody shame about the damaged nose...

Well, the Vatican bust has a complete nose and it sure looks like it matches the upper part of the broken nose of the Arles bust.

Also, the Vatican bust looks like it is only slightly idealized and might very much look like Caesar as he was getting older and more tired. His image on coins from the latest period of his life is also similar. It looked like he had become very wiry or had lost a great deal of weight. Based on a comment in one of Cicero's letters, about Caesar taking some sort of cure, plus a couple instances where he apparently had dizzy spells, I suspect he was ill when he died.

What do you think about Rufus Sewell like image? Slightly curly black hair, green eyes, you notice him when he enters. I'm not a fan but it came to my mind. One more question about dating, I was thinking Halley's comet dates(374-451) about our Lords life span?
.RS.jpg

I've been playing with a website that used a computer magic called cycleGAN neural networks (you can use this architecture to turn daytime images to nightime images for instance, among many other possibilities). I used a picture of a marble statue of suposedly Cleopatra? and I obtained something like this
cleopatr.jpeg
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good picture of the bust of Arles to try something similar. Maybe others with a more artistic touch can do something. The website is artbreeder(dot)com

I've been playing with a website that used a computer magic called cycleGAN neural networks (you can use this architecture to turn daytime images to nightime images for instance, among many other possibilities). I used a picture of a marble statue of suposedly Cleopatra? and I obtained something like this
View attachment 37561
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good picture of the bust of Arles to try something similar. Maybe others with a more artistic touch can do something. The website is artbreeder(dot)com

Cool! Just curious, what counts as a "good picture" for use?

Cool! Just curious, what counts as a "good picture" for use?
I would say the closest to the type of photos the system is trained on, like an ID portrait photo with smooth illumination. And maybe some artificial coloring beforehand (the skin, eyes, and hair). It would be nice also to "photoshop" the ears and the nose where most of the damage to the statue is apparent. Things like that but it's only a guess.

I would say the closest to the type of photos the system is trained on, like an ID portrait photo with smooth illumination. And maybe some artificial coloring beforehand (the skin, eyes, and hair). It would be nice also to "photoshop" the ears and the nose where most of the damage to the statue is apparent. Things like that but it's only a guess.
Yeah, after logging in, I see what you mean. This is the closest I could get using one of the hi-res images on Wiki. Because of the lack of eye details, it thought his eyes were closed, so this is it with a bit of tweaking to open the eyes.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 4.24.31 PM.png

Last edited:
I think that there is a tool on the same website were on can merge two images and create a transition between them. Didn't try it though.

Back
Top Bottom