Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I work as a Personal Assistant for a lady with Fibromyalgia. I can share some things that provide her some relief. She has ME too, but that has been completely controlled by taking about 2 teaspoons of Himalayan rock dissolved in water over the course of each day. When she really decends into Fibrofog, some salt water usually works wonders. Having her legs up in an elevated position for 20 minutes a day helps with dizziness, as does wearing compression stockings when she goes out.

She takes Manganum once a week, which has really made a difference (particularly in reducing migraines), and she has just started taking Ignatia too, she has a newspaper article about a woman who recovered from FMS with the help of Ignatia. Guaifenisin is unfortunately not available in the UK except in cough mixture, her only option would be to buy it online at extortionate prices!

SAM-E, when taken with ATP, Folic Acid and B12 is said to greatly alleiviate the fatigue and depression associated with FMS, but again, it is expensive.

One thing she's looking into is the Lightning Process. She was sent a DVD about it from her local ME self-help group. It's a short course that examines your beliefs about your body and illness, draws on NLP and postural techniques, and teaches you ways of managing your symptoms in a preventative fashion, and aligning with your full potential for wellness. It requires commitment, but among those that stick at it there is an 80% success rate.

A friend of mine attended the Psychedelics Forum in Geneva earlier this year, where one speaker (I've looked on the website but can't find his name) described a FMS patient who managed her pain entirely by taking a quarter of a "dose" of MDMA over the course of each day. No dopiates required. My friend has since set up a focus group for FMS, and one person in the group takes Kratom daily, which keeps pain and anxiety at bay, and imroves concentration.

The lady I work for had been taking Amitriptyline for years, prescribed to help with sleeplessness and depression, that is until the abovementioned friend (a Phamacologist and Herbologist) told me how dangerous it is. It is highly toxic, and has actually been found to increase suicide rates. http://biopsychiatry.com/dothamit.htm

I dread to think how many people are on this nasty piece of work, and really fear what the Pharma companies are going to churn out in the near future.

She steers clear of MSG and other additives, so its not as simple as that. She was eating lots of soya products until I warned her of its dangers. As advised by my friend, she has substituted it with Maca root, for its hormone balancing effects.

Fibromyalgia is a tragic illness, I really do feel for people suffering it. There is somewhat of a stigma that still lingers (enforced by the medical establishment of course) from the days it was branded a psychosomatic illness. Doctors here is Edinburgh are reluctant to even diagnose it, it is usually through the support groups that sufferers (lucky enough to find them) really come to understand their condition.

As tragic as it is, it also fascinates me a great deal. I am presently unable to find any studies to back this up, I'll ask my employer, she told me about a survey that was done that found that a very high proportion of FMS sufferers have strong psychic ability (as does the lady I work for) and look a great deal younger than their years (ditto). Nienna and Jane, is this true for you too?

Meanwhile, as I reported on another thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=8813.new#new

Last night we recorded an interview with Mark Givert of www.get-fitt.com which is where I got my FAR infrared blanket. We'll be getting it up on sott asap and I'll be writing a short article about it to go with the podcast.

Mark flew down and stayed with us a couple of days and we were able to ask all our questions about the FAR infrared treatment. Mark, himself, came to it because of serious health problems and he was doing it long before it was "on the radar" and has since done a LOT of research. He is also involved with a number of professional researchers who are using the therapy for people with serious, debilitating illnesses, including Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, etc. He told us about many cases that, unfortunately, did not make it onto the podcast but will later be included in a book that we are urging him to write.

When Mark began his therapy, the FAR infrared devices did not have temperature controls so it was basically a low level of heat. Apparently, this low heat is extremely effective all by itself. He told us about a woman who was in terminal stages of cancer who got in her FAR infrared sauna and stayed in it all day following which, she had a deep "detox reaction" and her cancer went into remission.

Since the FAR infrared acts directly on the mitochondrial energy production mechanism in the body, there are some people who can only tolerate a little of it because of their toxic overload. The minute their body gets a little energy from the infrared, the body starts detoxing and they have the Herxheimer reaction pretty severely, so they have to go slow and easy.

While cranking up the heat until you sweat is an added benefit, I'm glad to know that the lower temps are as beneficial because that means I can spend more time in the sauna which I am going to start doing today!

Another point about detoxing is that it is important to alkalinize the body. Sherry Rogers discusses this in her books, but Mark told us that one of the easiest ways to do this is to have a glass of water (or cup of hot water) with fresh lemon juice in the morning, and eat at least 50% green, leafy vegetables every day. He says that candida and other parasites cannot survive in an alkaline environment. The other 50% of your diet should be divided 30% grains (brown rice, quinoa, etc) and 20% protein. This is kind of a transition diet while detoxing with the sauna. He claims that once you detox sufficiently, you will naturally move to 75% green leafy vegetables (part of which he takes as fresh juices).

You also need oils and the best ones are Hemp, Flax, pumpkin, olive and some nut oils. NEVER vegetable oils!

You also need nuts for magnesium, Brazils, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia, cashews, etc. You also can eat avocados as they are an important omega 3 source.

Then he said that the best way to get probiotics is to eat them fresh and live and the way to do that is to make your own fresh sauerkraut and also a water made from quinoa. You wash the quinoa, then put a cup of it in a jar with two LITERS (corrected) of water, cover with a cloth and let sit in a warm place for a couple of days until it is foamy on the top. When the liquid goes cloudy and tastes like lemon water, it is right. Drink the water and add two more LITERS of water and do the same thing. You can do this twice with the same cup of quinoa.

A really good short version of the whole problem:

http://www.vitaminlady.com/Articles/candida_albicans.asp
CANDIDALLY SPEAKING
by Lynn Hinderliter CN, LDN

Candida Albicans brings a mind-boggling list of of health problems in its wake.

Candida, a form of yeast cell, (more than 150 different strains have been isolated) is naturally present in our bodies at all times, and therefore its mere presence cannot identify it as an enemy: if you fall sick, there are few tests your Doctor can do which will definitely fix it as the cause.

If you have taken antibiotics frequently or for lengthy periods of time, have suffered from fungal infections of the nails, digestive tract or genitals, feel sick all over with no explanation, are bothered by memory problems, have taken birth control pills for more than 2 years, are really bothered by exposure to cigarette smoke or chemicals, feel worse on damp, muggy days, - consider Candida as the cause.

An imbalance, a state of dysbiosis caused by yeast overgrowth, brings about a disturbance in the natural order where the friendly organisms in our gut designed to control the level of Candida organisms in our body fail in their task.

This disturbance can be caused by

* antibiotic use
* chemicals
* faulty diet,
* allergies
* tobacco
* nutritional deficiencies
* steroids
* poor liver function
* birth control pills*
* stress

or a combination of any of these.

* (Estrogen/ progesterone imbalances increase Candida's tendency to attach to the cells lining the vagina, and therefore both pregnancy and oral contraceptives can increase one's risk. Oral contraceptives containing 75-150 micrograms of estrogen are most likely to cause the problem; low-dose products are seldom implicated.)

Antibiotics,may be the worst villains, since they cannot tell the difference between the friendly bacteria our internal balance requires, and the bad ones they have been taken to fight: they kill them all. The situation is aggravated by high carbohydrate diets, which feed the yeast organisms, allowing a population explosion.. When overgrowth occurs, several things happen:

* Firstly, C. Albicans is a highly allergenic bacterium. Clinical studies have shown that its presence in the intestinal tract can lead to "leaky gut" syndrome, where food antigens and toxins can be absorbed directly into the blood stream, leading to that "sick all over" feeling. This happens because over time, Candida can behave like a fungus, developing rhizoids that can grow into the wall of the intestine, and contribute to its gradual weakening and permeability: it is possible that this highly toxic state of affairs can contribute to conditions as diverse as asthma and CFS through its effect on the immune system..

* Secondly, the toxins produced (among them ethanol, acetaldehyde - which can damage organs, cause emotional disturbances, memory loss and mood swings, and formaldehyde) may act as immunosuppressants to prevent your defenses from doing their job. This may mean not only that you are rendered susceptible to re-infection by Candida itself, but also that auto-antibodies may form, and hormonal dysfunctions may follow (Witkin, Ph.D. Cornell Univ. Med. Coll 1985) together with a medley of seemingly unrelated health problems.

* Thirdly, the Candida may become systemic in nature. Having breached the intestinal lining, it now has access to the bloodstream and from there any part of your body, where it can set up its home and multiply. Some of the symptoms of systemic Candida are digestive problems, muscle aches and pains, fatigue, skin eruptions and rashes, and recurrent urinary tract infections.

Fortunately, there is now an inexpensive stool laboratory test (see bottom of page) which will determine the balance between yeast roganaisms and good bacteria, and can also determine parasite infestation.

The following are some serious illnesses which have sometimes responded favorably to treatment for Candida: they include MS, lupus, myasthenia gravis, multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome, Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis and cystitis, and endometriosis.

I hasten to add that I am not suggesting that they are cured by this means, but that some of the symptoms lessen in intensity.

Nor is it my intention to suggest that the serious diseases mentioned above such as MS, lupus, CFS, etc., are caused by Candida. What I see happening here, (and much of my information comes not only from my own clients, but also from Dr. Crook's wonderful books, The Yeast Connection and The Yeast Connection and the Woman) is an accumulation of insults to the body which result in illness.

Consider the changes that have occurred in our life styles over the past 50 years - increased exposure to chemicals and toxins, the almost casual intake of antibiotics and synthetic hormones, the decrease in healthy nourishing food and the increase in pesticides, preservatives, sugar, hydrogenated fats, food colorings - the list goes on and on.

How can we not expect our bodies to pay a toll? Lowered immune systems, alkaline/acid imbalance, and digestive disorders are high on the list of first responses to these health stressors, and Candida feels right at home in these conditions: once an imbalance starts, the body reacts in many different negative ways.

What does this mean? When a scientist reaches a destination, he needs to know the road he traveled by, and that it leads only from there to here. It is difficult for a trained scientist to accept that one road can lead to many destinations, or that one destination can be reached by many roads. Dr. Truss in his book The Missing Diagnosis says: " you may seem neurotic ... but do you experience ... depression, anxiety, irrational irritability, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, indigestion, loss of self-confidence, inability to cope, lethargy, symptoms from contact with food and chemical odors, acne, migraine, headaches ... urethritis, cystitis, repeated vaginal yeast infections, premenstrual tension, and menstrual problems? .. These may be symptoms of a treatable illness."

It can be hard for an allopathic Doctor to accept not only that Candida can cause so many and such diverse health problems, but that its cause and correction are also multi-faceted.

Treatment of Candidiasis is truly not simple, but the first step is the proper diet avoiding sugars in all forms, even limiting complex carbohydrates usually thought to be good for you, (see bottom of page for a detailed list).

Candida is a yeast, and anything that might feed it must be avoided; this means cutting out all sugars (even honey), fruits, starches, vinegar and alcohol. No more maple syrup, corn syrup, white bread, soft drinks, or cereals. They should be replaced with vegetables and lean proteins. No more dried or fresh fruits, mushrooms, pizza or pastries. As and when the condition improves, some of these things may be added back in - but many people feel so much better without them, they want to keep the improvement permanently!

An interesting exception to this rule is Xylitol. Dr. Ward Dean states that this sweetener is not metabolized by humans OR yeast: "Yeast gobble it up, thinking they're getting sugar, and die". He considers it one of the best anti-candida strategies!

The next steps are detoxification, enhancement of digestive and immune function, balanced nutritional supplementation and herbal and medicinal anti-fungal agents . I usually recommend the following protocol:

* First, cleansing and detoxing.

* Second, attacking the yeast with a selection of herbs that have natural anti-fungal activity, such as Olive Leaf, Garlic, Pau d'Arco, Grapefruit Seed Extract and Oregano.

The more diverse your weapons, the better your chance of success.

* The wall of the Candida yeast cell is composed largely of cellulose, and it is vulnerable to digestion by Cellulase enzymes. It has no defense - it cannot change the structure of its cell wall. These enzymes should always be used between meals, otherwise they will be wasted digesting the cellulose in your food. IT IS ESSENTIAL TO TAKE THEM SEPARATE FROM FOOD . For more information about Candex, see Resources at right.

* Saccharomyces Boulardii is in effect a friendly yeast that fights Candida: it is much used in France, where they refer to it as the yeast- fighting yeast. If your Candida is connected to food allergies, this may be especially helpful for you; it releases IgA which helps heal the lining of the gut. Saccharomyces is helpful to prevent and relieve diarrhea, particularly when medication related.

* Third, rebuilding the colon and repopulating it with friendly bacteria such as Bifidus and Lactobacillus .

* Fourth, maintenance. I recommend HSOs/ Primal Defense, continued use of probiotics, and cyclical use of Candex.

* Fifth - aiding digestion: deficiencies of HCL or pancreatic enzymes can mean that you are not absorbing your foods properly. Improve your absorption, and there will be less to feed the yeast.

* There is also a connection with Gallbladder malfunction, since a healthy supply of bile helps keep Candida Albicans in check. Generally, there is some reason to suspect that Candida impairs the digestion of fats. This is why it may be a good idea either to limit diary, or to add a LIPASE enzyme as well. If you have Candida, and have had your gallbladder removed, and NOTHING seems to control the infection, consider adding a source of ox bile.

* Sixth - balance acid/alkaline. Interestingly, while many Candida sufferers have very acid pHs, some people suffering from recurrent Candida infections are found to have a highly alkaline body chemistry: this is usually in conjunction with a low metabolic rate, and can occur even if the diet is high in acid foods.

An acid pH in the body can also cause excessive alkalinity in the colon, which encourages the growth of yeast. In fact, one of the means by which acidophilus controls yeast overgrowth is by acidifying the large intestine.
In other words, disturbance of the pH balance IN EITHER DIRECTION, whether acid or alkaline, can facilitate opportunistic Candida overgrowth.

However, Candida is absolutely happiest when the acid environment of the body means that the stomach is paradoxically LOW in acid, or HCL. and the bowel is alkaline.

... Homeostasis is a state of balance, when the entire body is in harmony and functioning perfectly. Disturbance of this homeostasis leads to disease.

* Each step should be supported and enhanced by proper diet and supplements to support the immune system such as Moducare, Colostrum, OPCs, and B Vitamins. Add also a multi-vitamin and mineral, since many Candida sufferers compound their problem by not absorbing the nutrients they need for basic good health.

* Determine the cause of the Candida: whether it be diet, allergy, stress, hormones, medications - unless you find out what caused it and eliminate that cause, the problem WILL RETURN!!

Some people manifest their yeast problems not only internally, but by overgrowths of thrush in the mouth, disfiguration of the nails on hand or foot, and sometimes even malodorous rashes on the skin, under the breasts and around the genitals being favorite sites . I have come across a solution of Silver which is proving to be very helpful for such problems, as a gargle, or as a topical application.

I am amazed, too, at the frequency with which I find that people with really intractable Candida also have parasites. I would recommend testing for this (see the UroKeep Test for Candida and parasites) .

Dr. Morton Walker's book about Olive Leaf Extract points out that hospital acquired infections from pathogenic fungi, mainly Candida Albicans, increased from 6 to 11 percent between 1980 and 1990. Most anti-fungal drugs work by inhibiting the growth of fungi: this means some fungal cells survive in the body, becoming resistant to the drug treatment. Olive Leaf is a fungicidal substance which kills the invading fungus rather than just slowing it down - this means that fewer of the cells survive, and resistant mutations are also fewer. It also means less risk of relapse after ceasing treatment with the Olive Leaf.

There is a mistaken belief that people with Candida overgrowth need to adhere to a yeast free diet. In fact, there does not appear to be any connection between the consumption of food yeasts ( Saccharomyces Cerevisiae) and the overgrowth of Candida yeast. Dr. Jack Sobel, who has a list a yard long of qualifications to speak on the subject, says "There is no association between Saccharomyces in the diet and systemic Candidiasis .... I never put patients on yeast free diets, as they are painful, non-nutritional, extremely difficult to comply with, and ill-advised in my opinion". (my italics) (Interviewed by Dr. Passwater, Whole Foods Magazine July 99 p. 60)

If the Candida still persists, consider an elimination/ rotation diet to spot possible food allergies or intolerances, which may play a large role in this scenario. The Coca Pulse Test can be very helpful. The most common offenders are yeast, (and if yeast is an allergen for you, then it should be avoided) milk, wheat, corn, eggs and citrus.

Candida overgrowth is definitely an under-diagnosed problem in allopathic circles. Most nutritionally oriented Doctors who are addressing this imbalance have concluded that the way to diagnose Candida, is to treat the symptoms, and determine from the results whether or not the diagnosis was correct. This might seem an irrational approach, were we talking about strong drugs that could be harmful to the patient, but Candida can be tackled. and often conquered, using measures which actually contribute to overall health.

The advantage of the natural approach is that you are not only much more likely to control the yeast permanently, but you will also put your immune system back on track, able to help you resist other problems that may come your way.

Avoiding carbohydrates:

* Breads, pastas, baked goods, sauces soups and dressings thickened with flour, and/or sweetened with sugar, candy, chewing gum, and sugar in all forms (fructose, sucrose, honey, maple syrup)

* Dairy products such as milk and ice cream. Unsweetened yogurt, without fruits, is acceptable, some cheese and cottage cheese is OK.

* Fruits and berries

* Sweet vegetables such as corn, yams, sweet potatoes, peas, beans, carrots, beets.

* Many prepared foods. Read the labels! Even canned hams and imitation seafood can be a carbohydrate problem.

YOU MAY SUSPECT, BUT DO YOU KNOW? There is a simple test that can be done to determine whether you have a Candida problem: we have the kits here. The cost of the kit is $15.96 plus shipping, and you then send a stool sample off to the lab. You are personally responsible for the lab fee of $80.00. The results are sent directly to the Health Care Provider you select. I have often found that those with the most serious Candida problems also have parasites,

The article is, of course, promoting certain products. There are many good ones on the market.

http://intelegen.com/nutrients/malic_acid_energy__fibromyalgia.htm

Malic Acid, Energy, & Fibromyalgia

Primary fibromyalgia (FM) is a condition affecting principally middle-aged women, characterized by a syndrome of generalized musculoskeletal pain, aches, stiffness, and tenderness at specific anatomical sites. This condition is considered primary when there are no obvious causes. Since it was first described, FM has become recognized as a fairly common rheumatic complaint with a clinical prevalence of 6 to 20 percent. Additionally, FM has been associated with irritable bowel syndrome, tension headache, mitral valve prolapse, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Numerous treatment modalities have been attempted to treat patients with FM, but unfortunately the results have usually been poor. The primary reason for this lack of success was undoubtedly due to our lack of understanding FMs etiology.

In recent years, evidence has accumulated to suggest that FM is the result of local hypoxia in the muscles. For instance, patients with FM have low muscle-tissue oxygen pressure in affected muscles, and to a lesser degree the same was found in other tissues. Muscle biopsies from affected areas showed muscle tissue breakdown and mitochondrial damage. Additionally, low levels of the high energy phosphates ATP, ADP, and phosphocreatine were found. It has been hypothesized that in hypoxic muscle tissues glycolysis is inhibited, reducing ATP synthesis. This stimulates the process of gluconeogenesis, which results in the breakdown of muscle proteins to amino acids that can be utilized as substrates for ATP synthesis. This muscle tissue breakdown, which has been observed in muscle biopsies taken from FM patients, is hypothesized to result in the muscle pain characteristic of FM.

Malic acid is both derived from food sources and synthesized in the body through the citric acid (Krebs) cycle. Its importance to the production of energy in the body during both aerobic and anaerobic conditions is well established. Under aerobic conditions, the oxidation of malate to oxaloacetate provides reducing equivalents to the mitochondria through the malate-aspartate redox shuttle. During anaerobic conditions, where a buildup of excess of reducing equivalents inhibits glycolysis, malic acids simultaneous reduction to succinate and oxidation to oxaloacetate is capable of removing the accumulating reducing equivalents. This allows malic acid to reverse hypoxias inhibition of glycolysis and energy production. This may allow malic acid to improve energy production in FM, reversing the negative effect of the relative hypoxia that has been found in these patients.

Because of its obvious relationship to energy depletion during exercise, malic acid may be of benefit to healthy individuals interested in maximizing their energy production, as well as those with FM. In the rat it has been found that only tissue malate is depleted following exhaustive physical activity. Other key metabolites from the citric acid cycle needed for energy production were found to be unchanged. Because of this, a deficiency of malic acid has been hypothesized to be a major cause of physical exhaustion. The administration of malic acid to rats has been shown to elevate mitochondrial malate and increase mitochondrial respiration and energy production. Surprisingly, relatively small amounts of exogenous malic acid were required to increase mitochondrial energy production and ATP formation. Under hypoxic conditions there is an increased demand and utilization of malic acid, and this demand is normally met by increasing the synthesis of malic acid through gluconeogenesis and muscle protein
breakdown. This ultimately results in muscle breakdown and damage.

In a study on the effect of the oral administration of malic acid to rats, a significant increase in anaerobic endurance was found. Interestingly, the improvement in endurance was not accompanied by an increase in
carbohydrate and oxygen utilization, suggesting that malic acid has carbohydrate and oxygen-sparing effects. In addition, malic acid is the only metabolite of the citric acid cycle positively correlated with physical activity. It has also been demonstrated that exercise-induced mitochondrial respiration is associated with an accumulation of malic acid. In humans, endurance training is associated with a significant increase in the enzymes involved with malic acid metabolism.

Because of the compelling evidence that malic acid plays a central role in energy production, especially during hypoxic conditions, malic acid supplements have been examined for their effects on FM. Subjective improvement in pain was observed within 48 hours of supplementation with 1200 - 2400 milligrams of malic acid, and this improvement was lost following the discontinuation of malic acid for 48 hours. While these studies also used magnesium supplements, due to the fact that magnesium is often low in FM patients, the rapid improvement following malic acid, as well as the rapid deterioration after discontinuation, suggests that malic acid is the most important component. This interesting theory of localized hypoxia in FM, and the ability of malic acid to overcome the block in energy production that this causes, should provide hope for those afflicted with FM. The potential for malic acid supplements, however, reaches much farther than FM. In light of malic acids ability to improve animal exercise performance, its potential for human athletes is particularly exciting.

Additionally, many hypoxia related conditions, such as respiratory and circulatory insufficiency, are associated with deficient energy production. Therefore, malic acid supplements may be of benefit in these conditions. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has also been found to be associated with FM, and malic acid supplementation may be of use in improving energy production in this condition as well. Lastly, malic acid may be of use as a general supplement aimed at ensuring an optimal level of malic acid within the cells, and thus, maintaining an optimal level of
energy production.

I've been trying the following supplement for fatigue and have had good results:

http://www.needs.com/product/American_Biologics_Ultra_NeuroRecovery_90/b_American_Biologics

Its called NeuroRecovery, and includes a number of antioxidants that also detoxify. Its worked wonders as far as fatigue goes, though I've been doing Sherry Rogers detox cocktail for some time now, and I'm sure that's helped too.

Here is the list from the needs page:

Suggested Use: As a dietary supplement, three (3) capsules daily with meals, or higher intake as directed by a physician. For best results, six (6) may be taken daily for the first month or until the desired effect is achieved.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 3 Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving

Vitamin B6, (as Pyridoxine HCL) 50 mg

Vitamin B12, Activated (as Methylcobalamin) 1,000 mcg

Vitmain B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 1,000 mcg

Folic Acid 900 mcg

Alpha-Lipoic (ALA) 300 mg

N-Acetyl-l-Cysteine (NAC) 100 mg

L-Glutathione, (Reduced Glutathione) 25 mg

Inositiol 200 mg

L-Glutamine 300 mg

Cost: $24.63 usd

Note: I started with three a day, but now only need one cap a week. :)

Needs also carries several malic acid supplements that are inexpensive here: http://www.needs.com/prod_detail_list/htc_Malic_Acid

Laura said:
http://intelegen.com/nutrients/malic_acid_energy__fibromyalgia.htm

Malic Acid, Energy, & Fibromyalgia

Because of the compelling evidence that malic acid plays a central role in energy production, especially during hypoxic conditions, malic acid supplements have been examined for their effects on FM. Subjective improvement in pain was observed within 48 hours of supplementation with 1200 - 2400 milligrams of malic acid, and this improvement was lost following the discontinuation of malic acid for 48 hours. While these studies also used magnesium supplements, due to the fact that magnesium is often low in FM patients, the rapid improvement following malic acid, as well as the rapid deterioration after discontinuation, suggests that malic acid is the most important component. This interesting theory of localized hypoxia in FM, and the ability of malic acid to overcome the block in energy production that this causes, should provide hope for those afflicted with FM. The potential for malic acid supplements, however, reaches much farther than FM. In light of malic acids ability to improve animal exercise performance, its potential for human athletes is particularly exciting.

I've only been taking 800 mg a day, I'm going to start doubling (or tripling) up.

FIBROMYALGIA AND CHRONIC FATIGUE Questionnaire

This is from Rodger Murphree's manual that accompanies his book "Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome." It's an excellent book with good explanations of what these conditions are and up-to-date ideas about what causes them AND ways to beat them! See here: http://www.treatingandbeating.com/ to order the book. (You can get an ebook and start reading right away!) This material adds a bit more to the health puzzles many of us deal with. (Some of his ideas are significant additions!)

FIBROMYALGIA AND CHRONIC FATIGUE
NEW PATIENT INTAKE FORM

(WITH COMMENTS IN ITALICS)

What medications are you taking? Please list them here: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most CFS/FMS patients are on at least six prescription medications. These medications may cause all sorts of side-effects: anti-depressants can cause anxiety; benzodiazepines (anxiety medications like Xanax or Klonpin) can cause amnesia and depression; NSAIDs (Celebrex, Alleve, Mobic, etc.) can cause intestinal permeability; cholesterol medications (Lipitor, Zocor, and others) can cause diffuse muscle pain; etc. There are dozens of prescription medications that will make your CFS/FMS worse.

Specific medications and their side effects are discussed in detail in Chapter 4, Conventional Medical Therapies.

Do you have trouble falling asleep? ___Yes ___No

Do you have trouble staying asleep? ___Yes ___No

When did you first start having trouble sleeping (months, years ago)?

These are perhaps the three most important questions on this intake form. If a person is having problems with sleep (can’t fall asleep and stay asleep without medication) and has diffuse pain, it is a good bet that she has FMS.

If she does consistently sleep through the night without medications (or naturals) but complains that she just doesn’t have any energy, gets sick a lot, and has achy pain, she most likely has CFS ( a person can have both illnesses).

These are important clues. Both illnesses are treated with high doses of nutritional supplements. However, I’m always relieved to see that patients have checked that they are having trouble with their sleep. I know if I can get them going into deep sleep (and I usually can) and build up their serotonin levels (with 5HTP), these individuals will feel better in only a couple of weeks. I find that the classic symptoms associated with FMS—insomnia, depression, pain, fatigue, anxiety, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)—respond quickly to restored serotonin levels.

It takes longer and is harder to get these same results in true CFS patient. I define a true CFS patient as having a severely compromised immune system and having normal serotonin levels. These individuals usually have a sluggish liver (indicated by funny reactions to medications, odor aversions, and chemical sensitivities), catch every cold or flu that comes around, suffer from chronic infections, and have zero tolerance to stress. But they don’t have any trouble sleeping.

An in-depth discussion on sleep concerns is covered in chapter 5, Sleep Disorders.

What over-the-counter or prescription medications have you taken for sleep?

___ Ambien ___ Zanaflex ___ Trazadone ___ Sonata ___ Tylenol PM ___ Elavil ___ Neurontin ___ Xanax ___ Flexeril ___ Doxepin ___ Klonopin ___ Ativan ___ Benadryl Other:______________________________________

If you’re on sleep medications, I suspect you have a serotonin deficiency. Some of these drugs promote deep, restorative sleep (the key to getting well) and some don’t. Those in bold promote deep, restorative sleep. Those in regular type, don’t. All of these medications have potential unwanted side effects. These side effects could be making your condition worse.

If you’re taking any of the above medications, then please read about them in chapter 4, Conventional Medical Therapies, and chapter 5, Sleep Disorders.

NEUROTRANSMITTERS/MOOD DISORDERS (BRAIN CHEMICALS)

Are you taking one or more antidepressants? ___Yes ___No

If so, please list them here: _________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________ Have you taken other antidepressants in the past?

___Yes___ No

If so, which ones? ___Prozac ___ Paxil ___ Celexa ___ Lexapr ___ Wellbutrin ___ Effexor ___ Zoloft

Were they helpful? Please describe in detail (didn’t help, had side-effects, stopped working, etc.):

Do you crave carbohydrates, starches, and/or sugar?

___Yes ___No

A positive answer suggests a serotonin deficiency. This may also point to a yeast overgrowth problem. The amino acid tryptophan (5HTP) is best absorbed when combined with carbohydrates (sugar). Sugar or starches act as sedatives. This may be why people under stress attempt to self medicate through over eating (especially starches). Sugar feeds yeast, and those with a yeast overgrowth will often have sugar cravings.

Do you get white spots on your fingernails? ___Yes ___No ___Not sure

White spots on the nails are a sign of a zinc deficiency. A zinc deficiency leads to elevated copper levels. Excess copper can create anxiety, nervousness, insomnia, and fatigue. Long-term elevated copper levels lead to depression.

BOWEL FUNCTION

Do you have normal, daily bowel movements (at least one bowel movement a day)? ___Yes ___No

Do you have loose bowels (diarrhea), constipation, or perhaps both? Please describe:

If a patient is constipated, it usually means he is deficient in magnesium. Once he starts taking 600–700 mg of magnesium, normal bowel function will return. The CFS/Fibromyalgia Formula has 700 mg of magnesium.

Have you been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?

___Yes ___No

IBS usually goes away after one to two weeks on my program. There are more serotonin receptors in the intestinal tract than in the brain! Serotonin helps control the speed at which food is broken down and moved through the intestinal tract. A serotonin deficiency causes IBS. Restoring normal serotonin levels with 5HTP usually cures IBS once and for all.

Do you ever have floating stools (floats on top of toilet water)?

___Yes ___No

Floating stools are a sign that a person is not breaking down the fats in her diet. She might have problems with her gallbladder (or no gallbladder). This person should take pancreatic digestive enzymes or bile salts with each meal.

IMMUNE FUNCTION

Check all that apply to you:

___ Chronic Sinus Congestion

___ Chronic Sinus Infections (2 or more a year)

___ Chronic Sore Throat

___ Chronic Colds or Flu infections each year

___ Chronic Upper Respiratory Infections (Bronchitis, Pneumonia)

Chronic means a minimum of 3–4 times a year.

These items will be checked by true CFS patients. Those with FMS may also have chronic infections. Chronic sinusitis is a common complaint seen in those with CFS and FMS. I always suspect a low thyroid if someone suffers from chronic sinus infections.

. LIVER FUNCTION

Have you ever had elevated (high) liver enzymes on laboratory blood work? __Yes __ No __Not Sure

A “yes” could possibly mean a sluggish liver, usually from taking prescription medications. It could also be due to a fatty liver or hepatitis .

Do you have any funny reactions when you drink alcohol (a little goes a long way, can’t drink red wine, etc.)? If so, please describe:

A positive answer suggests you may have a sluggish liver.

Do you have any problems eating raw onions? ___ Yes ___No

Raw onion can cause problems in individuals with a sluggish liver. The sulphur in raw onions is the culprit.

The day after eating asparagus, do you get a very strong odor when urinating?

___ Yes ___No

This is a sign of a molybdenum deficiency. It is also a sign that a person may be allergic to sulphites.

Do you have hepatitis? ___Yes ___ No

Do you have a fatty liver? __ Yes __ No

Do you have funny/strange reactions to medications? ___Yes ___No

Do strong odors (such as gasoline, smoke, cleaning supplies, perfume, etc.) bother you? ___Yes ___No

Answering yes to any of these questions suggests you may have a sluggish liver. Remember that smells are nothing more than invisible chemicals floating in the air. These foreign chemicals must be processed by the liver. The longer you’ve had the illness, the less your tolerance to certain odors.

ADRENAL FUNCTION

If you skip a meal, do you feel bad (have headaches, become irritable, get jittery, tired, etc.)? ___ Yes __No

This is a sign of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and adrenal dysfunction. Many of the patients I see aren’t hungry in the morning, and instead of eating breakfast, they rely on caffeine to get them going. However, if they don’t eat lunch or skip dinner, they become very irritable.

Do you have low blood pressure? ___Yes ___ No __Don’t Know

This is a sign of low adrenal function. It can also occur when taking certain prescription medications (beta-blockers, Topamax, etc.). Low blood pressure causes fatigue and lethargy. Blood helps deliver vital nutrients and oxygen to all the cells in the body, including those in the brain. A normal blood pressure is between 100–120 systolic (top number) over 60–80 diastolic (bottom number). Individuals with low blood pressure need to be drinking 70 ounces (at least) of water a day and using plenty of salt. This will improve their energy.

Do you crave salty foods? ___Yes ___No

A “yes” is a sure sign of adrenal stress. Salt increases the production of certain adrenal hormones. Individuals with low adrenal function will be drawn towards salty snack foods.

Does an increase in stress or stressful situations make your symptoms worse?

___Yes ____No

A “yes” is a sign that a patient’s stress coping account and adrenal glands are severely challenged.

How's your energy level? Choose 1 to 5, with 5 being the best. ______

Low energy (3 or lower) suggests low adrenal function and perhaps low thyroid.

How’s your concentration and memory, on the same scale? ________

Individuals who are low in norepinephrine (adrenal hormone) will have poor mental clarity.

How do you feel in the morning?

___ Refreshed ___ Hung over ___ Exhausted ___ Nauseated ___ Achy All Over

Are you hungry in the morning? ___Yes ___No

Low adrenaline levels (norepinephrine) will cause decreased mental clarity.

Nausea and a lack of appetite first thing in the morning is a sign of poor adrenal function. People with adrenal deficiency will prefer to skip breakfast. This artificially raises their normally low adrenal cortisol levels and gives them a false boost of energy. They will often use caffeine in ever increasing doses to jumpstart their adrenal glands. The digestion of food requires energy and puts the breaks on fasting cortisol levels, so they skip breakfast.

Nausea in the morning is an indication of low blood sugar levels. It is also a sign (along with not dreaming at night) of a vitamin B6 deficiency.

Please eat breakfast—even something as light as a handful of cashews and an apple. Avoid simple sugars (as we all should) in the morning. You should avoid milk, cereals, fruit juices, muffins, doughnuts, pastries, and other high glycemic foods (simple carbohydrates or starches and sugar laden foods).

DIGESTION

Do you experience any of these?

Bloating: ___ Yes ___ No

Gas: ___ Yes ___ No

Indigestion: ___ Yes ___ No

A “yes” is a sign that you need to be taking digestive enzymes (one with each meal).

Are there certain foods that give you problems (sugar, spicy foods, fruits, meats, fats, dairy, etc.)? If so, please list: __________________________________________________________

. DIET

What do you eat for breakfast? Please (honestly) describe here: ______________________________________________________________________

What do you eat for lunch?________________________________________________

What do you eat for dinner?_______________________________________________

What are your usual snack foods (popcorn, ice cream, cookies, potato chips, candies)? Please be honest and specific:______________________________________________

Do you drink coffee? If so, how many cups a day and when?________

Do you drink sodas? If so, how many?___________________________

Do you drink tea? If so, how many glasses and when?______________

I recommend you review your answers above. The most potent drug we put into our body is the food we eat. Our food turns into the chemicals, hormones (thyroid, serotonin, estrogen, testosterone, etc.), enzymes, and nutrients the body needs on a moment to moment basis. Poor food choices increase the rate of degeneration and poor health.

We all know that eating doughnuts and drinking diet coke can’t be healthy. I strongly encourage you to clean up your diet. Reduce or eliminate all white foods: sugar, milk, white potatoes, and white bread. Reduce or eliminate caffeine (avoid all sodas like the plague), fried foods, sweets, and processed foods. Try to eat at least 2 fruits and 2 vegetables each day (fresh salads with raw vegetables: broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc.).

To lose weight, reduce or avoid the high glycemic foods (see appendix). Try to eat fewer processed foods and more natural foods. Shop the outside aisles in grocery stores where you find unprocessed cheeses, meats, vegetables, and fruits. Skip the middle aisles that are stocked with processed foods: potato and corn chips, cereals, sweets, and snacks.

PAIN

Where do you have pain?
___ Joints
___ Muscles
___ Neck
___ Hands
___ Mid Back
___ Low Back
___ Chest
___ Hips
___ Arms
___ Back of Legs
___ Front of Legs
___ Knees
___ Feet
___ Ankles
___ Fingers
___Head
___ Shoulder

Most of the pain associated with FMS goes away once you boost your serotonin levels and begin to consistently go into deep, restorative sleep each night.

The high doses of magnesium (which naturally relaxes muscles), malic acid (which blocks pain), and essential fatty acids (which decrease inflammation) contained in the CFS/Fibro formula (ordering information given at the end of this chapter) also help to quickly reduce the pains associated with FMS and CFS.

I also recommend you get chiropractic adjustments (by a doctor familiar with gentle therapies), physiotherapy (electrical muscle stim, moist heat, and myofascial percussion), and massage therapy. If you suffer from chronic pain, pay special attention to the Chronic Pain Protocol in chapter 9, Chronic Pain and Inflammation.

INTESTINAL DYSBIOSIS

Have you ever been on long-term (more than 2 weeks) antibiotic therapy? ___Yes ___No

Have you ever had vaginal yeast infections? ___Yes ___No

If yes, when was your most recent infection? ________________

Do you have chronic vaginal yeast infections (more than two a year)? ___Yes ___No

A “yes” strongly suggests a problem with yeast overgrowth.

Are you bothered by memory or concentration problems? Do you sometimes feel “spaced out?” ___Yes ___No

Do you feel “sick all over,” yet in spite of visits to different physicians, the causes haven’t been found? ______

Have you been pregnant two or more times? ______________

Have you taken birth control pills? ___ For more than 2 years? ___ for more than 1 year? ___ For 6 months to 1 year?

Are your pain symptoms worse on damp, muggy days or in moldy places? ___Yes ___No

Do you ever have itchy ears? ___Yes ___No

Itchy nose? ___Yes ___No

Rectal Itching? ___Yes ___No

Do you crave sugar? ___Yes ___No

Does eating sugar make your symptoms worse? ___Yes ___No

Do you have rectal itching after eating sugar, fruit, or a lot of starches? ___Yes ___No

Positive answers strongly suggest a problem with yeast overgrowth. Yeast which live in the intestinal tract, including the colon (rectum), feed off of sugar.

Have you ever been on long-term (weeks) steroid therapy (prednisone, cortisone)? ___Yes ___No

These promote yeast overgrowth.

Have you ever been on long-term (month or more) nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications (Such as Vioxx, Celebrex, Naprosyn, Advil, Bextra, Mobic, etc.)? ___Yes ___No

If “yes,” suspect intestinal permeability. Intestinal permeability leads to yeast overgrowth. Please see chapter 7, Intestinal Permeability.

For more information on yeast overgrowth, please see chapter 13.

YEAST QUESTIONNAIRE

Please mark your symptoms as follows: MI: mild M: moderate S: severe

_____ feeling of being “drained”
_____ abdominal pain
_____ constipation and/or diarrhea
_____ bloating, belching, or intestinal gas
_____ indigestion or heartburn
_____ prostatitis
_____ endometriosis or infertility
_____ cramps and/or menstrual irregularities
_____ premenstrual tension (PMS)
_____ sore throat
_____ recurrent sinus infections
_____ chronic hives
_____ recurrent cough or bronchitis
_____ nasal congestion or postnasal drip
_____ nasal itching
_____ eczema
_____ psoriasis
_____ cystitis or interstitial cystitis
_____ pressure in the ears
_____ troublesome vaginal burning, itching, or discharge
_____ rectal itching
_____ dry mouth or throat
_____ mouth rashes, including “white tongue”
_____ bad breath
_____ foot, hair, or body odor not relieved by washing
_____ wheezing or shortness of breath
_____ urinary frequency or urgency
_____ burning on urination
_____ burning or tearing eyes

I pay particular attention to the highlighted statements. See Yeast Overgrowth Protocol in chapter 13, Yeast Overgrowth.

THYROID

Symptoms Checklist

___ fatigue
___ high cholesterol
___ headaches
___ cold hands/feet
___ migraines
___ changes in skin pigmentation
___ PMS
___ irritability
___ irregular periods
___ hypoglycemia
___ fluid retention
___ severe menstrual cramps
___ dry hair
___ low blood pressure
___ dry skin
___ frequent colds/sore throats
___ hair loss
___ heat and/or cold intolerance
___ depression
___ lightheadedness
___ decreased memory
___ ringing in the ears
___ decreased concentration
___ infertility
___ decreased sex drive
___ Irritable Bowel Syndrome
___ unhealthy nails
___ low motivation
___ constipation
___ frequent infections
___ asthma
___ inappropriate weight gain
___ allergies
___ difficulty falling asleep

This questionnaire is helpful but not essential. I pay more attention to blood work (TSH above 3) and low body temperature (below 98 degrees). All of the above can suggest low thyroid. I pay particular attention to the statements in bold above. If you suspect you have hypothyroid (low thyroid function), then please see chapter 11, Thyroid Dysfunction.

BRAIN FUNCTION QUESTIONNAIRE

The Brain Function Questionnaire will help show which brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) you’ve depleted.

The "O" Group

Do any of these apply to your present feelings?

___ Your life seems incomplete.
___ You feel shy with all but your close friends.
___ You have feelings of insecurity.
___ You often feel unequal to others.
___ When things go right, you sometimes feel undeserving.
___ You feel something is missing in your life.
___ You occasionally feel low self-worth or self-esteem.
___ You feel inadequate as a person.
___ You frequently feel fearful when there is nothing to fear.

If three or more of the above apply, then see chapter 12, Mood Disorders.

The “G” Group

___ You often feel anxious for no reason.
___ You sometimes feel "free floating" anxiety.
___ You frequently feel "edgy" and it’s difficult to relax.
___ You often feel a "knot" in your stomach.
___ Falling asleep is sometimes difficult.
___ It’s hard to turn your mind off when you want to relax.
___ You occasionally experience feelings of panic for no reason.
___ You often use alcohol or other sedatives to calm down.

If three or more of the above apply, then see chapter 12.

The "D" Group

___ You lack pleasure in life.
___ You feel there are no real rewards in life.
___ You have unexplained lack of concern for others, even loved ones.
___ You experience decreased parental feelings.
___ Life seems less "colorful" or "flavorful".
___ Things that used to be fun aren’t any longer enjoyable.
___ You have become a less spiritual or socially concerned person.

If three or more of the above apply, then see chapter 12.

The "N" Group

___ You suffer from a lack of energy.
___ You often find it difficult to "get going."
___ You suffer from decreased drive.
___ You often start projects and then don't finish them.
___ You frequently feel a need to sleep or "hibernate."
___ You feel depressed a good deal of the time.
___ You occasionally feel paranoid.
___ Your survival seems threatened.
___ You are bored a great deal of the time.

The "S" Group

___ It’s hard for you to go to sleep.
___ You can't stay asleep.
___ You often find yourself irritable.
___ Your emotions often lack rationality.
___ You occasionally experience unexplained tears.
___ Noise bothers you more than it used to; seems louder than normal.
___ You "flare up" at others more easily than you used to.
___ You experience unprovoked anger.
___ You feel depressed much of the time.
___ You find you are more susceptible to pain.
___ You prefer to be left alone.

Re: FIBROMYALGIA AND CHRONIC FATIGUE Questionnaire

Thanks for that Laura!

Floating stools are a sign that a person is not breaking down the fats in her diet. She might have problems with her gallbladder (or no gallbladder). This person should take pancreatic digestive enzymes or bile salts with each meal.

I'm interested in these pancreatic digestive enzymes or bile salts by now, anyone knows anything more about them?

Recently I've got an odd pressure on the gallbladder area, on the left side along the rib-cage line, halfway form the navel and sternum in height, and wondering what it might be?

Recently I've reintroduced fruit in my diet, peaches and bananas mainly. Just quit again from todays and on.

Another one:

The day after eating asparagus, do you get a very strong odor when urinating?

___ Yes ___No

This is a sign of a molybdenum deficiency. It is also a sign that a person may be allergic to sulphites.

I've never heard a person in my life not having a strong odor when urinating after eating asparagus, especially the wild ones picked up in the woods. I'm not an asparagus fan at all, but it sounded a bit odd as far as this molybdenum/sulphite issue isn't a mass spread 'illness' comparable to magnesium deficiency.

dantem said:
I'm interested in these pancreatic digestive enzymes or bile salts by now, anyone knows anything more about them?

Highly recommended in case of inflammation, digestive problems. Here is an excerpt from "Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome":

Digestive Enzymes

Most digestion and absorption takes place in the small intestine
and is regulated by pancreatic enzymes and bile. The pancreas
aids in digestion by releasing proteolytic enzymes, which help
break proteins down into amino acids.

These enzymes break down food stuff and allow the smaller molecules
and nutrients to be absorbed into the bloodstream. The
enzymes may become deficient for a variety of reasons, including
advancing age, excess sugar, deficient essential fatty acids, excessive
trans-fatty acids, and overeating. Eating processed food also
depletes normal pancreatic enzymes.

Raw, unprocessed foods contain their own digestive enzymes.
When we eat these foods, we help spare our own pancreatic
enzymes. However, eating processed foods requires our body to
secrete extra amounts of pancreatic enzymes. Over time,
processed foods deplete a persons own pancreatic enzyme stores.

Proteolytic enzymes also help regulate inflammatory reactions by
reducing the amount of kinins in the body. Kinin is a tissue hormone
capable of causing severe and painful inflammatory reactions.
It is triggered by allergic foods or chemicals and can cause
inflammation anywhere in the body, including the brain.

Other info at:
_http://www.yourbodycanheal.com/enzymes.html
_http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/the-importance-of-digestive-enzymes-194952.html
_http://www.enzymeessentials.com/HTML/enzyme_index.html

dantem said:
Recently I've got an odd pressure on the gallbladder area, on the left side along the rib-cage line, halfway form the navel and sternum in height, and wondering what it might be?

The right side you mean? Anyhow, it could be digestive.

Psyche said:
dantem said:

Highly recommended in case of inflammation, digestive problems. Here is an excerpt from "Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome":

Digestive Enzymes

Most digestion and absorption takes place in the small intestine
and is regulated by pancreatic enzymes and bile. The pancreas
aids in digestion by releasing proteolytic enzymes, which help
break proteins down into amino acids.

These enzymes break down food stuff and allow the smaller molecules
and nutrients to be absorbed into the bloodstream. The
enzymes may become deficient for a variety of reasons, including
advancing age, excess sugar, deficient essential fatty acids, excessive
trans-fatty acids, and overeating. Eating processed food also
depletes normal pancreatic enzymes.

-snip

Other info at:
_http://www.yourbodycanheal.com/enzymes.html
_http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/the-importance-of-digestive-enzymes-194952.html
_http://www.enzymeessentials.com/HTML/enzyme_index.html

dantem said:

The right side you mean? Anyhow, it could be digestive.

Thanks for the links Psyche, and yes, I always confuse, my left side is the right side on a body organs chart, isn't it?

Today the pain has intensified a bit, and now it seems very likely stomach acidity that sometimes grows up once or twice during the year. Odd that it started so mildly this time lasting for about two weeks, it felt like a totally different symptom to me. But anyhow, it could be a mix of both digestive problems and stomach acidity, don't know really.

Reading the above article about the reactions to certain foods, can it open a new can of worms regarding dietary adjustments here? If ingesting a certain food gives certain reactions it could be also that your body lack essential enzymes or is still toxic - the food in question is not 'bad for you' or that you're allergic to it, but instead it's a reaction caused by lack of certain minerals, vitamins, enzymes that aren't there at the moment.

So, given the symptoms, one can work by implementing supplements and wait for any metabolic changes. Then if nothing works out it may be the food itself, an allergy, or a bit more detoxing is needed and so on.

In the mean while, trying some supplements like OxiCellZyme, DigestZyme or GastroZyme as described at

_http://www.enzymeessentials.com/HTML/order_enzymes.html

could be of help.

dantem said:
Thanks for the links Psyche, and yes, I always confuse, my left side is the right side on a body organs chart, isn't it?

Yeah, anatomy charts are not mirrors. It was always confusing for me too :P. I had to use my right hand and place it on the left side of an anatomic book in order to get situated. After awhile it became automatic and I was starting to give directions incorrectly, turn to the right, I mean to the left...

dantem said:
Today the pain has intensified a bit, and now it seems very likely stomach acidity that sometimes grows up once or twice during the year.

DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) also is very helpful in this case. I've felt immediate relief with it, you can chew it 15 min before eating, 1 or 2 tablets.

Psyche said:
DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) also is very helpful in this case. I've felt immediate relief with it, you can chew it 15 min before eating, 1 or 2 tablets.

Doh! My last order was for NAC at supersmart.com and forgot to add DGL, again! I'll order a Kilo next time :lol:

Thanks!!

dantem said:

Today the pain has intensified a bit, and now it seems very likely stomach acidity that sometimes grows up once or twice during the year. Odd that it started so mildly this time lasting for about two weeks, it felt like a totally different symptom to me. But anyhow, it could be a mix of both digestive problems and stomach acidity, don't know really.

Just a note that might or might not be relevant, but when I had gall bladder issues, 13 yrs ago, I thought it was stomach acidity. It might be worthwhile to keep an eye on it - a non-invasive ultra sound can usually tell if you have gall stones (if it comes to that). Hopefully it is just your stomach acidity that recurs.

anart said:
Just a note that might or might not be relevant, but when I had gall bladder issues, 13 yrs ago, I thought it was stomach acidity. It might be worthwhile to keep an eye on it - a non-invasive ultra sound can usually tell if you have gall stones (if it comes to that). Hopefully it is just your stomach acidity that recurs.

Thanks for that Anart! Laura has linked this thread from DoD Cookbook and I've just poked in there again.

According to Gallbladderattack site, it is better to avoid eggs and onions, two foods I may have abused of recently.

So it may be gallstones in my case, as this pressure on the right side is mild but won't go away; I'll keep an eye on it. Foods helpful for gallstones would be:

USE ORGANIC FOODS
Fresh vegetable juices as mentioned above (beet and cucumber especially)
Drink lots of water - very important
Garlic and garlic oil (garlic, again ;) )
Avocados
Artichokes
Ginger root
Coconuts
Grapes and freshly pressed grape juice (organic grapes only) are especially helpful
Apples, apricots, berries, casaba melons, currants, figs, guavas, lemons, pears, prunes
Tumeric (organic)
Cottage cheese - lowfat

Foods to Avoid for Gallstones:

Same list above for general gallbladder problems above. Take special note of the foods most likely to cause gallbladder attacks:

eggs, pork, onion, fowl, milk, coffee, grapefruit, oranges, corn, beans and nuts, alcohol

NOTE: green beans are not classified as beans.

Fats to Avoid and Fats to Include (we already know that, in any case):

Most important is to avoid fried foods, fatty foods and particular types of fats like trans fats, hydrogenated fats, partially-hydrogenated fats (read your labels) and saturated fats. (Order my newsletter on Good Fats vs Bad Fats for more in-depth information.)

Include essential fatty acids such as flax oil or borage oil. Depending on how severe or acute your gallbladder problem is at the moment, even this may not be possible for you. Experiment slowly. You may have to do a gallbladder starter kit or gallbladder attack kit or gallbladder stone kit before you can add these. Most people, however, are able to eat small amounts. It shouldn't take more than a week on the products before you feel relief enough to try this. If you have used the beet recipe, you have found that those three ingredients in combination do not cause problems but help to move the stagnation in the gallbladder. I generally advise adding a teaspoon of flax oil with vinegar or lemon juice to salads as a dressing. If you are in pain, you may be able to eat only the green soup recipe for a few days.

I think the factor that the following "experts" are missing is the blood type factor. Of course, individual genetics will also make things more variable, but it does seem that there is a broad blood factor variable.

Fibromyalgia: The Diet Connection

Find out what experts say really matters about the foods you eat -- and why staying away from certain foods might help your fibromyalgia symptoms.

By Colette Bouchez
WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Matthew Hoffman, MD

The condition is called fibromyalgia. It consists of a complex array of symptoms that include widespread muscle and joint pain along with overwhelming fatigue. And none of it goes away, no matter how much rest you get.

Fibromyalgia affects up to 4% of the population -- mostly women. And there is still no known cause or recognized treatment that works for everyone. That's one reason, say experts, that so many people have turned to diet as a way to relieve some of the symptoms.

The fact is there's little scientific evidence to support any single eating plan as a way to deal with fibromyalgia. Nevertheless, a trip around the Internet will show that dietary approaches to fibromyalgia abound. The variety is so diverse it's hard to imagine they are all aimed at treating the same disease.

Eat more whole grains. Don't eat any whole grains. All fruit is good. Some fruit is bad. Tomatoes are healthy. Tomatoes are harmful. Sugar is bad. Sugar has no impact. Avoid meat. Eat. . . .

Confused? Don't be. Experts say diversity is another hallmark of fibromyalgia.

"This is because fibromyalgia is not a specific illness," says Michael McNett, MD. McNett directs the Fibromyalgia Treatment Centers of America, headquartered in Chicago. "Fibromyalgia is more like a symptom complex, and different people appear to have different reasons why they get this symptom complex," he says. "So what works for one person very frequently does not work for another."

And this, say experts, includes dietary measures.

Kent Holtorf, MD, is the medical director of the Holtorf Medical Group Center for Endocrine, Neurological and Infection Related Illness in Torrance, California. He says, "We're at the point now where we know diet plays a role in this disease -- it's just not the same diet for everybody. And not everybody is helped in the same way."

Rheumatology experts like Alex Shikhman, MD, believe the diversity of dietary approaches may have less to do with the impact on fibromyalgia, and more to do with treating a secondary, possibly undiagnosed illness. "When patients are helped by a specific dietary measure," says Shikhman, who is director and founder of the Institute for Specialized Medicine in San Diego, "it is often because of the presence of a secondary condition that does have a recognized response to diet. And when you take care of that, you do get some relief from all the symptoms. You feel better overall."

There are a number of co-existing health conditions that have a tendency to occur in people with fibromyalgia. Many of these have overlapping symptoms. These include gluten intolerance, gout (a form of arthritis), and restless legs syndrome. Some doctors believe food sensitivity itself could sometimes be responsible for some of the pain and fatigue of fibromyalgia.

Moreover, Holtorf points out that because each of these secondary conditions responds to a different dietary approach, it's not hard to understand why "different dietary recommendations are reported to work."

Shikhman believes that sometimes fibromyalgia may even be the wrong diagnosis. That's another reason, he says, we can sometimes see such dramatic and immediate response to so many different dietary measures.

"Sometimes, if you carefully note which foods a patient responds to," Shikhman says, "you can actually get a significant clue as to the true nature of their underlying health problems. And it might not always be fibromyalgia."

SEVEN FOODS TO AVOID

While there may not be a single set of dietary guidelines that are right for all fibromyalgia patients, there are certain foods, or food groups, that appear to make a difference for a significant number of people. But remember, avoiding these foods is not a guarantee that your symptoms will change. Also, avoiding one group may offer benefit while another may make no difference at all. Nevertheless, the experts WebMD talked to agree that eliminating at least some of these foods is worth a try.

1. Aspartame (NutraSweet). All the experts WebMD talked to agree that for a large majority of people with fibromyalgia, foods sweetened with aspartame could exacerbate fibromyalgia symptoms.

"There is a pain receptor in the nervous system known as NMDA," says McNett. "When pain turns from acute to chronic, it involves opening the NMDA pain receptor. Aspartame, which is classified as an excitotoxin, helps to stimulate this event." He also says people with fibromyalgia appear to already have overly active NMDA pain receptors, making them more susceptible to the stimulation.

In one study published in the Journal of Rheumatology in 2006, experts found patients with fibromyalgia did have an increased expression of NMDA receptors in their skin. This indicated a general increase in activity of peripheral nerves.

Holtorf says aspartame may play a role in stimulating those nerve pathways. Then he adds that for some people, "cutting it out of their diet can have a dramatic impact on pain."

That appeared to be the case for patients in one small study published in the Annals of Pharmacotherapy in 2001. Researchers found that, when patients with fibromyalgia avoided aspartame as well as the flavor enhancer MSG, they felt better overall.

Other artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, saccharin, and stevia do not appear to have the same effect as aspartame.

2. Food additives including MSG (monosodium glutamine) and nitrates. MSG is an additive or flavor enhancer that's found in many processed and frozen foods and in some Asian cuisines. Experts say it can intensify pain symptoms in many individuals. Like aspartame, MSG is classified as an excitotoxin and has the same potential for affecting NMDA receptors.

The same is true, says McNett, for foods containing preservatives such as nitrates, commonly found in lunchmeats like ham or bologna or in bacon.

"A lot of people who don't have fibromyalgia can't tolerate nitrates or MSG very well. But one of the hallmarks of this condition is that it amplifies unpleasant reactions," McNett says. "So a stimulus that some people would find mildly unpleasant becomes very unpleasant in those who have fibromyalgia." Cutting these ingredients out of the diet, he adds, usually helps.

3. Sugar, fructose, and simple carbohydrates. There is no clear evidence that cutting out simple carbohydrates -- like sugar, cake, or white bread -- will have an impact on fibromyalgia. What it can do, though, is reduce symptoms of chronic yeast infection -- a fungus that thrives on sugars and may be a secondary condition contributing to the pain of fibromyalgia. This theory, however, is still being debated by experts.

"Cutting out sugary foods, particularly high fructose corn syrup, can make a difference in these patients," says Holtorf. "And that's independent of any weight loss that might occur when they stop eating these foods."

Shikhman adds that cutting out carbonated beverages sweetened with fructose may yield even more noticeable results. That's because the carbonation, he says, causes a metabolic reaction. This reaction results in much more sugar pouring into the blood much more quickly.

"It's this quick rise in blood sugar," Shikhman says, "followed by the subsequent fall that exacerbates the fatigue element of fibromyalgia. That, in turn, creates more cravings for sugar, followed by still more fatigue -- allowing a vicious cycle to develop." Cutting out the sugar, he says, particularly soda, can result in better, more even control of blood sugar. Better control will help reduce fatigue and at least some of the related pain.

4. Caffeine -- including coffee, tea, colas, and chocolate. Because it is considered a stimulant, many fibromyalgia patients turn to caffeine-rich beverages as a source of energy. But McNett says the boost you get is false -- and can quickly exacerbate fatigue.

"The problem with caffeine is that the 'up' is relatively brief and transient," he says. "And it's followed by substantially longer and deeper sedative effect."

Because people with fibromyalgia are already tired, McNett cautions, those sedative effects can be much more powerful. "They are starting off from a point of fatigue, so the sedative qualities are amplified -- leading to a much deeper and long lasting sense of fatigue."

The good news is that cutting out caffeine can make a difference within less than a week. "Most patients begin to see a difference in their fatigue level almost right away," he says.

5. Yeast and gluten. Although these are two separate food substances, they frequently appear together -- particularly in baked goods like cake, donuts, and bread. For this reason, cutting out one, usually means you are cutting out both. That can actually yield two separate benefits for people with fibromyalgia.

In the case of yeast, some doctors say it fosters the overgrowth of the yeast fungus in the body. This overgrowth may cause or exacerbate much of the joint and muscle pain experienced by people with fibromyalgia. Research, though, has yet to confirm this link.

Gluten can exacerbate a condition known as gluten intolerance. Gluten intolerance, Shikhman says, frequently results in a variety of stomach ailments and other digestive problems. It also is associated with fatigue in patients with fibromyalgia.

"I have seen people with and without fibromyalgia experience enormous positive changes in their health by simply cutting out gluten products," Shikhman says.

6. Dairy. Be they low fat or high fat, some experts say, dairy products -- particularly, milk -- have been known to drive the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Avoiding these products may help some people turn their health around.

On the other hand, if you feel as if milk is doing your body some good, keep chugging a glass or two of skim milk a day. It's got calcium to build bones and protein to build muscle, and it's fat free.

7. Nightshade Plants: Tomatoes, chili and bell peppers, potatoes, and eggplant. There are over 2,000 species of plants that that can be listed under the category of "nightshade." Those which are edible comprise a group that some say can trigger flares of various types of arthritis, including fibromyalgia.

"I have seen patients who do much better when they cut these foods out of their diet," says Holtorf. We're not sure why, but it seems to work in a significant percentage of fibromyalgia patients." At the same time, these vegetables are among the most nutritious. So if they don't trigger your fibro pain, don't ban them from your fridge.

A final word - Nutrients and the power of a healthy diet

Avoiding certain foods may help individual patients better cope with their disease. Nutritionist Samantha Heller, MS, RD, says, however, that most can also benefit from an overall heart-healthy approach to good eating.

"When you are eating a heart-healthy diet - one low in saturated fat, lean meats, and poultry and high in the fresh fruits and vegetables that don't cause you problems, your body is going to work in a more healthful way, " Heller says.

And while, she says, this won't necessarily reduce your fibromyalgia symptoms, it can help to reduce the risk of other ailments that can only compound your health issues.

"When your body is healthier overall," says Heller, "you may be better able to cope with any disease, and better able to respond to even small changes you make."

One small study published in the journal Complementary and Alternative Medicine in 2001 found that patients who ate a vegetarian diet consisting of mostly raw whole foods did see a reduction in their fibromyalgia symptoms.

Holtorf also believes that sticking to a heart-healthy diet may yield some specific helpful effects. "Patients with fibromyalgia have documented mitochondria dysfunction," he says. "This is the area of the cell where energy is made. Consequently, it's necessary to have high levels of nutrients to get the mitochondria to work and for energy to be produced." So, Holtorf adds, the higher your level of dietary nutrients, at least theoretically, the better off you might be.

What can also help, he says, is a high potency vitamin supplement as well as supplements containing omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids -- which are also found in foods such as fish oil, flax seed, walnuts, some fortified cereals, and eggs -- are the "good fats" that have been shown to have an impact on inflammation.

"For some fibromyalgia patients," Holtorf says, "they work extremely well." Then he adds, "It is definitely worth a try."

Back
Top Bottom