Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Re: FIBROMYALGIA AND CHRONIC FATIGUE Questionnaire

beetlemaniac said:
I can concur with you about the fuzziness. It usually happens whenever I take the full 3 mg dose of melatonin before sleeping. What was your dose like? Also, what about the serotonin increasing effects of 5HTP. Did you feel any better with 5HTP taken during the day?
I started with 3 mg and then later tried taking 1/2 tablet to see if that helped (it didn't).

5-HTP acted as a mild "mood lifter," after I took it for a while. When I read Lights Out though, I realized how complex the hormone/neurotransmitter interactions really are (something I already knew but wasn't thinking about) and I decided to leave it all alone.

The only reason I was taking these supplements was to see if it helped my gut which, according to Dr. Murphree, was the first step in dealing with FMS. They didn't help me at all. What did help was reducing dietary fiber (it ferments in th gut) and darkening the bedroom at night (to improve the seratonin/melatonin levels) so I did that instead. 5-HTP was also supposed to help with falling asleep, but I have no problem with that. Supplemental melatonin was supposed to help with deep sleep, and it didn't do that. So I concluded that the information in the book didn't work for me and left it at that.

One other supplement that is said to help with FMS is the sugar D-ribose. I don't think it is mentioned in the book either, but I include a teaspoon or so every day in something I eat or drink. It is discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Re: FIBROMYALGIA AND CHRONIC FATIGUE Questionnaire

Megan said:
What did help was reducing dietary fiber (it ferments in th gut) and darkening the bedroom at night (to improve the seratonin/melatonin levels) so I did that instead.

I still haven't got around to getting the room nice and dark. You are right, sleep influences overall mood through the serotonin/melatonin balance in a very significant way. Maybe it would be better to try fixing the imbalances through adjustments in our daily routine rather than too much focus on supplementation. Supplements are expensive, and I have to wait for it to get shipped as well. It would be good to reserve supplements for times when we need quick fixes, emergency situations. I know some forumers have received positive effects from supplementation, but if overdone it seems to have a reverse effect. It's all about balance, after all.

Wanted to add an article I found whilst tracking down my particular health problems/struggles with the paleo diet.

_http://ediver.be/ediver/latest%20news/CFS,%20oxidative%20stress,%20Maes%20M.pdf
Chronic fatigue syndrome is accompanied by an IgM-related immune response directed against neoepitopes formed by oxidative or nitrosative damage to lipids and proteins.

Abstract

There is now some evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is accompanied by signs of oxidative stress and by a decreased antioxidant status.
The aim of the present study was to examine whether CFS is accompanied by an immune response to neoepitopes of a variety of modified lipids and proteins indicating damage caused by oxidative and nitrosative stress.
Toward this end we examined serum antibodies to fatty acids (oleic, palmitic and myristic acid), by- products of lipid peroxidation, i.e. azelaic acid and malondialdehyde (MDA), acetylcholine, S- farnesyl-L-cysteine, and N-oxide modified amino-acids in 14 patients with CFS, 14 subjects with partial CFS and 11 normal controls.
We found that the prevalences and mean values for the serum IgM levels directed against oleic, palmitic and myristic acid, MDA, azelaic acid, S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, and the N-oxide derivates, nitro-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan, and nitro-cysteinyl were significantly greater in CFS patients than in normal controls, whereas patients with partial CFS took up an intermediate position. There were significant and positive correlations between the serum IgM levels directed against fatty acids, MDA and azelaic acid and the above N-oxide-derivates and the severity of illness (as measured by the FibroFatigue scale) and symptoms, such as aches and pain, muscular tension and fatigue.
The results show that CFS is characterized by an IgM-related immune response directed against disrupted lipid membrane components, by-products of lipid peroxidation, S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, and NO-modified amino-acids, which are normally not detected by the immune system but due to oxidative and nitrosative damage have become immunogenic.

Key words: Chronic fatigue syndrome, immunity, oxidative stress, lipids, peroxidation, fatigue, pain, azelaic acid, S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, malondialdehyde.

Introduction.

There is now some evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is accompanied by an imbalance between pro-oxidants and antioxidants causing a pro-oxidant status [1]. The presence of increased oxidative stress in CFS is supported by the following findings: a) higher LDL thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) [2]; b) increased isoprostane levels and oxidized low density lipoproteins (LDL), two gold standard measures of in vivo oxidative stress [3]; c) elevated protein carbonyl levels, a measure of protein oxidation [4]; d) an increased response to incremental exercise, which is associated with a lengthened and accentuated oxidative stress [5]; and e) increased oxidative stress in animal models of CFS [6]. These findings suggest that - in CFS - lipid peroxidation has occurred, which has generated a variety of oxidatively modified lipids and lipid-protein adducts that are proinflammatory and immunogenic [7]. Decreases in antioxidants in CFS are reported by Vesschiet et al [2], who found a significant inverse relationship between vitamin E and fatigue and by Maes et al., who found significantly lower serum levels of zinc, a strong antioxidant [8], and dehydroepiendrosterone-sulfate, a hormone with strong antioxidant properties [9].
Besides increased oxidation there is also an immune-inflammatory response in CFS as shown by the following results: a) increased plasma concentrations of the alpha2 globulin fraction obtained by electrophoresis and decreased serum zinc levels [8]; b) immune activation, characterized by an increased expression of T lymphocyte activation markers, such as CD26 and CD38 [10] and alterations in cytokine production [11-13]; and c) signs of decreased cellular immunity, such as decreased mitogen–induced lymphocyte responses and defects in early T cell activation, i.e. a diminished mitogen-induced expression of the early activation marker CD69 [10, 14-16].

It is well established that following inflammatory stimuli, the production of oxygen radicals is increased with an increased production of H2O2 (peroxides) and 2O2- (superoxide). In inflammatory responses the immune system will - through the production of oxygen radicals - damage lipid membranes and thus brain, muscle, and nerve cells [1]. In addition, inflammation is often accompanied by nitrosative stress whereby endogens nitrogen monoxide (NO) or peroxynitrite (ONOO-) are formed by activated neutrophils and monocytes. Nitration may occur whereby chemical modifications occur of self-proteins with the formation of, for example, nitro- tyrosine, another strongly immunogenic substance [17]. During this process, oxidative and nitrosative stress may have changed the natural structures of otherwise ubiquitous molecules to generate a variety of modified new epitopes (neoepitopes) which are highly immunogenic [18]. The latter can generate an immunoglobulin (Ig)-mediated immune response directed against these neoepitopes. The detection of circulating antibodies to these neoepitopes provides indirect evidence for damage and disruption of endogenous lipids and proteins by oxidation and nitration. However, until now no research in CFS has examined whether an Ig-related immune response is mounted against lipid or amino-acid neoepitopes.
The aim of the present study was to examine serum IgM antibodies to a panel of membrane fatty acids, i.e. oleic, palmitic, and myristic acid, byproducts of lipid peroxidation, i.e. malondialdehyde (MDA) and azelaic acid, acetylcholine (Ach), S-farnesyl-L-cysteine and; and NO modified amino-acids in order to determine whether CFS is accompanied by an IgM-related immune response directed against modifications in the structure of the above substances caused by oxidative stress and nitrosative stress.

Subjects and Methods

Subjects

Thirty-nine subjects participated in the present study, 11 unrelated controls (staff or their family members), and 28 patients admitted to the M-Care4U Outpatient Clinics, Belgium. We made the diagnosis of CFS by means of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) criteria [19]: a) the patient must have a severe chronic fatigue of six months or longer, while there is no other known medical condition which can explain the fatigue; and b) the patient must have four or more of the following symptoms: substantial impairment in short-term memory or concentration, sore throat, tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, multi-joint pain without swelling or redness, headache of a new type, pattern or severity, unrefreshing sleep, and post-exertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours. Patients presenting with criterion a) but who did not fulfill criterion b) were rated as partial CFS. The total sum of the FibroFatigue scale, i.e. the Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Rating Scale [20, 21] was used to compute the severity of illness. This scale measures 12 items reminiscent for CFS (and fibromyalgia): pain, muscular tension, fatigue, concentration difficulties, failing memory, irritability, sadness, sleep disturbances, autonomic disturbances, irritable bowel, headache, and subjective experience of infection.
We have excluded: a) subjects with life-time diagnosis of psychiatric DSM IV disorders, such as bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, substance use disorders and organic mental disorders; b) subjects with other medical illness, such as diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, essential hypertension, and arteriosclerosis; c) subjects who ever had been treated with anti-psychotic drugs, anticonvulsants or mood stabilizers and subjects who had been taking psychotropic drugs during the last year prior to the studies; d) subjects with abnormal values for routine blood tests, such as alanine aminotransferase (ALT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), blood urea nitrogen (BUN), calcium, creatinine, electrolytes, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), total protein, and iron or transferrin saturation; and f) subjects with acute inflammatory and allergic reactions for at least 2 months prior to the study. Patients and controls gave written informed consent after the study protocol was fully explained. The study has been approved by the local ethical committee.

Methods.

The serum IgM values directed against a number of neoepitopes were analyzed by means of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) methods as described before [22, 23]. Each plasma sample was measured in duplicate and tested simultaneously with three standard solutions. The optical densities (OD) of the three standards are expressed as Z values and from this the reference linear curve is calculated as Z = f(OD) with Z = a OD + b. Thus, the Z value of the lowest standard can be negative. This curve allows to deduce the mean values of the duplicate measurements of the OD values. The biological interassay CV values were < 10%. Table 1 shows the circulating antibodies identified in the present study: a) autoantibodies directed against lipid membrane components, such as oleic, palmitic and myristic acid, byproducts of lipid peroxidation, i.e. azelaic acid and MDA, S-farnesyl-L-cysteine and acetylcholine; and b) autoantibodies to nitric oxide (NO)- modified amino acids and creatine.

Statistics

Relationships between variables were assessed by means of Spearman’s rank order correlation coefficients. Group mean differences were examined by means of analysis of variance (ANOVA) or covariance (ANCOVA) and by means of the Kruskal Wallis test. Post-hoc contrasts between multiple group means were ascertained by means of the Dunn test. The independence of classification systems was ascertained by means of analysis of contingence tables (P2-test) and Fisher’s exact probability test. The significance was set at "=0.05 (two tailed).

Results

There were no significant differences in age (F=0.4, df=2/36, p=0.7) between normal controls (mean age ±SD=41.4 ±8.7 years), patients with partial CFS (41.4 ±10.9 years) and patients with CFS (44.6 ±12.2 years). There were no significant differences (X²=0.00, df=2, p=0.99) in gender distribution between normal controls (male/female ratio = 3/8), patients with partial CFS (4/10) and patients with CFS (4/10). There were no significant correlations (even at the p=0.05 level) between age and any of the IgM values. There were no significant differences between men and women (even at the p=0.05 level) in any of the serum IgM levels.
Table 2 shows that the anti-oleoyl, palmitoyl and myristolyl IgM antibodies were significantly different between the study groups. Dunn tests showed that the anti-oleoyl (t1=5.81, p=0.00002, t2=4.44, p=0.0002), anti-palmitoyl (t1=5.48, p=0.00004; t2=4.16, p=0.0004) and anti- myristoyl (t1=5.23, p=0.00005, t2=3.79, p=0.0006) antibodies were significantly greater in CFS patients than in normal controls (t1) and patients with partial CFS (t2). The anti-azelaoyl antibodies were significantly higher (t=2.86, p=0.007) in CFS patients than in normal controls. The anti-MDA (t1=3.17, p=0.003; t2=2.15, p=0.04) IgM titers were significantly higher in CFS patients than in normal controls and patients with partial CFS, respectively. No significant differences were found in acetylcholine IgM antibodies between normal controls and CFS patients or those with partial CFS. The anti-S-farnesyl-L-cysteine (t1=5.31, p=0.00004; t2=3.71, p=0.001) IgM titers were significantly higher in CFS patients than in normal controls and patients with partial CFS, respectively.
Table 2 shows that the serum IgM antibodies directed against nitro-tyrosine (t1=2.59, p=0.01; t2=2.48, p=0.017), nitro-phenylalanine (t1=2.78, p=0.009; t2=2.46, p=002), nitro- tryptophan (t1=2.88, p=0.007; t2=2.54, p=0.01), and nitro-cysteinyl (t1=2.87, p=0.007; t2=2.85, p=0.007) were significantly greater in CFS than in normal controls (t1) and patients with partial CFS (t2). We found that the serum IgM antibodies directed against nitro-arginine (t=0.009) were significantly higher in CFS patients than in normal controls.
By means of Fisher’s exact probability test we found a significantly greater number of CFS patients (9/14) with abnormally increased IgM antibodies directed against oleic acid, palmitic acid, myristic acid, azelaic acid or MDA (i.e. anyone of the IgM values > 3 Z values) than in controls (0/11; R=0.66, p=0.0009) and patients with partial CFS (2/14; R=0.51, p=0.009), while there were no significant differences between normal controls and patients with partial CFS (R=0.26, p=0.3). By means of Fisher’s exact probability test we found a significantly greater number of CFS patients with abnormally increased IgM antibodies directed against the N-oxide-aminoacids (i.e. anyone of the IgM values > 3 Z values) (8/14; R=0.50, p=0.02) than in normal controls (1/11) but not between CFS patients and those with partial CFS (5/14; Q=0.21, p=0.2) and between normal controls and those with partial CFS (R=0.31, p=0.1).

As an integrative index for the IgM responses to the fatty acids and the byproducts of lipid peroxidation, we computed the peak values of the serum IgM antibodies directed against oleic acid, palmitic acid, myristic acid, MDA and azelaic acid (peak OS), and as an index for the damage caused by nitrosative stress we computed the peak values for the IgM antibodies directed against nitro-tyrosine, NO2-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-histidine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan, nitro-methionine, nitro-cysteinyl, nitro-asparagine, and nitro-creatine (peak NS). We found that the peak OS values were significantly correlated to the total score on the FibroFatigue scale (r=0.59, p=0.001), aches and pain (r=0.65, p=0.0003), muscular tension (r=0.55, p=0.003), and fatigue (r=0.53, p=0.004). The peak NS values were correlated to the total score on the FibroFatigue scale (r=045, p=0.02), aches and pain (r=0.64, p=0.0004) and muscular tension (r=52, p=0.005).

Discussion

The results of the present study show that CFS is accompanied by increased mean levels and increased prevalences of IgM antibodies directed against fatty acids, by-products of lipid peroxidation (MDA and azelaic acid), and anti-S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, and NO derivates, such as nitro-tyrosine, nitro-phenylalanine, nitro-arginine, nitro-tryptophan and nitro-cysteine. The above disorders are highly pronounced in full blown CFS, while patients with partial CFS take up an intermediate position. The are significant and positive correlations between serum IgM levels and the severity of illness as measured by the FibroFatigue scale. The intergroup differences in serum IgM directed against the fatty acids and the by-products of lipid peroxidation are far more significant than those directed against the N-oxide derivates of the amino-acids. Thus, in CFS there is an IgM-mediated immune response directed against autoepitopes, which are normally hidden from the immune system. The latter may be recognized since a) oxidative stress may have damaged or disrupted the lipid membrane components and formed by-products of lipid peroxidation; and b) nitrosative stress (NO and peroxynitrite) may have modified endogenous proteins resulting in the formation of neoantigens. Phrased differently, the latter may have changed otherwise inactive autoepitopes to antigens which have acquired immunogenicity and thus may serve as a trigger to impair or bypass immunological tolerance leading to autoantibody production.
Thus, the results of the present study confirm those of previous research (see Introduction) that CFS is accompanied by increased oxidative stress [2-5] and a decreased anti-oxidant status [2, 8, 9]. The results also support previous reports that CFS is characterized by signs of damage to lipid components or proteins [2, 3]. However, the present study shows that in CFS an autoimmune response is mounted, which appears to be directed against multivarious lipid and protein neoepitopes.
The increased IgM antibodies directed against fatty acids (anti palmitoyl, myristoyl and oleoyl) indicate that in CFS the natural lipid structures have been modified to generate a variety of modified lipids with immunogenic determinants. Previously, it has been found that autoantibody titers to epitopes of oxidized LDL are correlated to the severity of disorders, such as atherosclerosis [18]. Antibodies directed against lipids have also been detected in remitting-relapsing multiple sclerosis (MS) [22, 24]. The circulating IgM antibody titers in MS appear to be related to the presence of inflammation because they increase during relapses and decrease during remissions [25].
We also detected increased serum IgM directed against by-products of lipid peroxidation, i.e. MDA and azelaic acid. MDA is one of the most frequently used indicators of lipid peroxidation [26, 27]. MDA is a highly reactive three carbon dialdehyde produced as a byproduct of polyunsaturated fatty acid peroxidation and arachidonic acid metabolism. MDA readily combines with several functional groups on molecules including proteins, lipoproteins, and DNA, which in turn may show an altered physico-chemical behavior and antigenicity and may acquire immunogenic properties. The antibody titre against MDA-protein adducts may be considered as a marker of lipoperoxidative protein damage in vivo. Lipid peroxidation with increased IgM antibody formation to MDA can be observed in other disorders, such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) [28]. Azelaic acid is a saturated C9 dicarboxylic acid, which can be derived from fatty acids, such as oleic acid, by oxidation. Azelaic acid possesses significant biologic properties, e.g. it markedly decreases neutrophil-generated ROS leading to a reduction in oxidative tissue injury at sites of inflammation [29]; and it inhibits both bacterial DNA polymerase and multienzyme complexes isolated from cultured melanoma cells and keratinocytes [30]. Increased antibody titers against azelaic acid indicate increased oxidation of fatty acids [22] and may be observed in patients with acute relapsing MS [31].
In patients with CFS we also found increased IgM levels to S-farnesyl-L-cysteine. S- farnesyl-L-cysteine plays a key role in regulating cell growth, differentiation and apoptosis through RAS protein activity. The latter depends on their anchorage to the inner surface of the plasma membrane, which is promoted by their common carboxy-terminal S-farnesyl-cysteine [32]. The presence of antibodies to S-farnesyl-L-cysteine suggest that RAS functions may have undergone damage by oxidative / nitrosative stress, causing disturbed functional activity in the regulation of cell growth.
In the present study we found that CFS was accompanied by significantly increased serum IgM antibodies to nitrated products of amino-acids, such as tyrosine and other amino-acids. Nitro- tyrosine has been revealed as a relevant inflammatory biomarker of NO-dependent nitrosative stress and NO-mediated tissue damage [17, 33, 34]. Tyrosine nitration is mediated by RNS such as peroxynitrite anion (ONOO–), and nitrogen dioxide (NO ), and nitryl chloride formed as secondary products of oxidants including superoxide radicals, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) [33]. The extent of protein nitro-tyrosine formation provides an index of the production of reactive nitrogen species (RNS) and potential cell damage over a period of time. For example, in coeliac disease elevated nitro-tyrosine levels are parallelled by an increase in plasma concentrations of NO-oxidation products (NOx), nitrite and nitrate [34]. Both nitro-tyrosine and NOx levels decline when the patients are on a gluten-free diet, suggesting a relation between intestinal inflammation and plasma nitro-tyrosine and NOx levels [34]. The post-translational modification of self-proteins gives rise to the generation of new nitro-tyrosine (or other amino-acids) epitopes to which T and B lymphocytes are not rendered tolerant and thus may serve as a trigger to impair or bypass immunological tolerance [17].
Another question is why CFS is accompanied by oxidative and nitrosative stress with eventually causes damage to lipid and protein structures and which in turn may mount an IgM- related autoimmune response to the neoepitopes. As explained elsewhere, there are many trigger factors which may induce CFS, e.g. causes of inflammatory reactions, such as bacterial and viral infections; trauma and injuries; food allergies type IV; heavy metal allergies type IV; and gut hyperpermeability [1, 35]. In addition, also psychological stress and sustained strenuous exercise, which are other established trigger factors for CFS [1] may generate oxidative and nitrosative stress. Emotional stress not only induces inflammatory reactions with an increased production of pro- inflammatory cytokines [36], but also a prooxidant state and lipid peroxidation. There is a vast Russian literature on the effects of emotional stress on lipid peroxidation [37-39]. Sivonova et al. [40] found that, in university students, examination stress was accompanied by oxidative damage to DNA, sensitivity to lipid oxidation and a significantly decreased plasma antioxidant activity. In female subjects, the levels of 8-OH-desoxyguanosine, another marker of oxidative damage to DNA, were significantly related to the perceived workload, the perceived psychological stress, and the impossibility of alleviating stress [41]. Also, exercise training may cause increased urinary excretion of lipid, protein and DNA oxidation products [42]. In soccer players, high titres of antibodies against oxLDL could be accounted for by their higher in vivo susceptibility of LDL to structural modification under conditions of intensive training-induced oxidative stress [43]. Thus, the trigger factors which may cause CFS can also induce oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation.
Another major finding of this study is that the IgM response mounted to the above neoepitopes is significantly correlated to the key symptoms of CFS, i.e. aches and pain, muscular tension and fatigue. These results extent those of Vecchiet et al. [2] who found that - in CFS - increased oxidative stress and decreased antioxidant defences are related to the extent of fatigue. The results also extent those of Kennedy et al. [3] who found that CFS symptoms, such as joint pain and postexertional malaise correlated well with isoprostane levels. Moreover, other research implicates a causal role for oxidative stress in those symptoms. Thus, Jammes et al. [5] found that the response of CFS patients to incremental exercise associates a lengthened and accentuated oxidative stress together with marked alterations of the muscle membrane excitability. These two objective signs of muscle dysfunction are sufficient to explain muscle pain and postexertional malaise reported by CFS patients. Matuszczak et al. [44] report that administration of NAC, a strong antioxidant, supports glutathione homeostasis in exercising humans and may delay muscle fatigue during repetitive handgrip exercise, supporting the hypothesis that oxidative stress is a causal factor in human muscle fatigue.
In summary, we may hypothesize that CFS is an immune disorder with increased oxidative and nitrosative stress, which has caused damage to lipids and proteins which, in turn, a) may cause disturbed functional activity in a number of important functions (cell-membrane related, cell proliferation through S-farnesyl-L-cysteine); and b) may become immunogenic and consequently may mount an IgM-related autoimmune response to neoepitopes. Oxidative and nitrosative stress are probably etiopathophysiological factors in the key symptoms of CFS, i.e. fatigue, muscular tension and aches and pain, through damage to important cell components and a subsequent autoimmune response.

Acknowledgements

The research reported was supported by a NARSAD Distinguished researcher award to M.Maes and by M-CARE4U and CRC-MH, Antwerp, Belgium. The secretarial assistance of Indra Corten is greatly appreciated.

References.

1. Maes M. From Freud to Omega-3. 2005: Brussels, Standaard Uitgeverij.

2. Vecchiet J, Cipollone F, Falasca K, Mezzetti A, Pizzigallo E, Bucciarelli T, De Laurentis S, Affaitati G, De Cesare D, Giamberardino MA. Relationship between musculoskeletal symptoms and blood markers of oxidative stress in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Neurosci Lett.
2003 Jan 2; 335(3): 151-4.

3. Kennedy G, Spence VA, McLaren M, Hill A, Underwood C, Belch JJ. Oxidative stress levels are raised in chronic fatigue syndrome and are associated with clinical symptoms. Free Radic Biol Med. 2005 Sep 1; 39(5): 584-9.

4. Smirnova IV, Pall ML. Elevated levels of protein carbonyls in sera of chronic fatigue syndrome patients. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003 Jun; 248(1-2): 93-5.

5. Jammes Y, Steinberg JG, Mambrini O, Bregeon F, Delliaux S. Chronic fatigue syndrome: assessment of increased oxidative stress and altered muscle excitability in response to incremental exercise. J Intern Med. 2005 Mar; 257(3): 299-310.

6. Singal A, Kaur S, Tirkey N, Chopra K. Green tea extract and catechin ameliorate chronic fatigue- induced oxidative stress in mice. J Med Food. 2005 Spring; 8(1): 47-52.

7. Chang MK, Binder CJ, Miller YI, Subbanagounder G, Silverman GJ, Berliner JA, Witztum JL. Apoptotic cells with oxidation-specific epitopes are immunogenic and proinflammatory. J Exp Med. 2004 Dec 6; 200(11): 1359-70.

8. Maes M, Mihaylova I, De Ruyter M. Lower serum zinc in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): Relationships to immune dysfunctions and relevance for the oxidative stress status in CFS. J Affect Disord. 2005 Dec 7; [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 16338007

9. Maes M, Mihaylova I, De Ruyter M. Decreased dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate but normal insulin-like growth factor in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS): Relevance for the inflammatory response in CFS. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2005 Oct; 26(5): 87-492.

10. Klimas NG, Salvato FR, Morgan R, Fletcher MA. Immunologic abnormalities in chronic fatigue syndrome. J Clin Microbiol. 1990 Jun; 28(6): 1403-10.

11. Visser J, Blauw B, Hinloopen B, Brommer E, de Kloet ER, Kluft C, Nagelkerken L. CD4 T lymphocytes from patients with chronic fatigue syndrome have decreased interferon-gamma production and increased sensitivity to dexamethasone. J Infect Dis. 1998 Feb; 177(2): 451-4.

12. Patarca R, Klimas NG, Lugtendorf S, Antoni M, Fletcher MA. Dysregulated expression of tumor necrosis factor in chronic fatigue syndrome: interrelations with cellular sources and patterns of soluble immune mediator expression. Clin Infect Dis. 1994 Jan; 18 Suppl 1: S147-53.

13. Linde A, Andersson B, Svenson SB, Ahrne H, Carlsson M, Forsberg P, Hugo H, Karstorp A, Lenkei R, Lindwall A, et al. Serum levels of lymphokines and soluble cellular receptors in primary Epstein-Barr virus infection and in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. J Infect Dis. 1992 Jun;
165(6): 994-1000.

14. Lloyd A, Hickie I, Hickie C, Dwyer J, Wakefield D. Cell-mediated immunity in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, healthy control subjects and patients with major depression. Clin Exp Immunol. 1992 Jan; 87(1): 76-9.

15. Barker E, Fujimura SF, Fadem MB, Landay AL, Levy JA. Immunologic abnormalities associated with chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Infect Dis. 1994 Jan; 18 Suppl 1: S136-41.

16. Mihaylova I, Bosmans Em Maes M. Deceased expression of CD69 in chronic fatigue syndrome in relation to inflammatory markers: evidence for a severe disorder in the early activation of T lymphocytes and natural killer cells. Submitted.

17. Ohmori H, Kanayama N. Immunogenicity of an inflammation-associated product, tyrosine nitrated self-proteins. Autoimmun Rev. 2005 Apr; 4(4): 224-9.

18. Shaw PX. Rethinking oxidized low-density lipoprotein, its role in atherogenesis and the immune responses associated with it. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2004 Jul-Aug; 52(4): 225-39.

19. Fukuda K, Straus SE, Hickie I, Sharpe MC, Dobbins JG, Komaroff A. The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group. Ann Intern Med. 1994 Dec 15; 121(12): 953-9.

20. Zachrisson O, Regland B, Jahreskog M, Kron M, Gottfries CG. A rating scale for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (the FibroFatigue scale). J Psychosom Res. 2002 Jun; 52(6): 501-9.

21. Shapiro CM, Moller HJ. Chronic fatigue: listen and measure. J Psychosom Res. 2002 Jun; 52(6): 427-36.

22. Geffard CM, Bodet D, Martinet Y, Dabadie M-P. Detection of the specific IgM and IgA circulating in sera of multiple sclerosis patients: interest and perspectives. Immuno-Analyse & Biol Spec 2002; 17: 302-10.

23. Geffard M, Bodet D, Dabadie MP, Arnould L. Identification of antibodies in sera of breast cancer patients. Immuno-Analyse & Biol Spec 2003; 18: 248-53.

24. Boullerne A, Petry KG, Geffard M. Circulating antibodies directed against conjugated fatty acids in sera of patients with multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol 1996 Mar; 65(1): 75-81.

25. Bodet D, Glaize G, Dabadie MP, Geffard M. Immunological follow-up for multiple slerosis. Immuno-Analyse & Biol Specialise 2004; 19: 138-47.

26. Bonnes-Taourel D, Guerin MC, Torreilles J. Is malonaldehyde a valuable indicator of lipid peroxidation? Biochem Pharmacol. 1992 Sep 1;44(5):985-8.

27. Nielsen F, Mikkelsen BB, Nielsen JB, Andersen HR, Grandjean P. Plasma malondialdehyde as biomarker for oxidative stress: reference interval and effects of life-style factors. Clin Chem. 1997 Jul; 43(7): 1209-14.

28. Frostegard J, Svenungsson E, Wu R, Gunnarsson I, Lundberg IE, Klareskog L, Horkko S, Witztum JL. Lipid peroxidation is enhanced in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and is associated with arterial and renal disease manifestations. Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Jan; 52(1): 192-200.

29. Akamatsu H, Komura J, Asada Y, Miyachi Y, Niwa Y. Inhibitory effect of azelaic acid on neutrophil functions: a possible cause for its efficacy in treating pathogenetically unrelated diseases. Arch Dermatol Res. 1991; 283(3): 162-6.

30. Galhaup I. Azelaic acid: mode of action at cellular and subcellular levels. Acta Derm Venereol Suppl (Stockh). 1989; 143: 75-82.

31. Daverat P, Geffard M, Orgogozo JM. Identification and characterization of anti-conjugated azelaic acid antibodies in multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 1989 Apr; 22(2): 129-34.

32. Elad G, Paz A, Haklai R, Marciano D, Cox A, Kloog Y. Targeting of K-Ras 4B by S- trans,trans-farnesyl thiosalicylic acid. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999 Dec 9; 1452(3): 228-42.

33. Radi R. Nitric oxide, oxidants, and protein tyrosine nitration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Mar 23; 101(12): 4003-8.

34. ter Steege JC, Koster-Kamphuis L, van Straaten EA, Forget PP, Buurman WA. Nitrotyrosine in plasma of celiac disease patients as detected by a new sandwich ELISA. Free Radic Biol Med. 1998 Nov 15; 25(8): 953-63.

35. Maes M, Mihaylova I, Ategis J-C. Increased serum IgA and IgM against LPS of enterobacteria in Chronic fatigue Syndrome (CFS): indication for the involvement of gram-negative enterobacteria in the etiology of CFS and for the presence of increased gut-intestinal permeability. J Affect Disord, 2006.

36. Maes M, Song C, Lin A, De Jongh R, Van Gastel A, Kenis G, Bosmans E, De Meester I, Benoy I, Neels H, Demedts P, Janca A, Scharpe S, Smith RS. The effects of psychological stress on humans: increased production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and a Th1-like response in stress- induced anxiety. Cytokine. 1998 Apr;10(4):313-8.

37. Aleksandrovskii IuA, Poiurovskii MV, Neznamov GG, Seredeniia SB, Krasova EA. [Lipid peroxidation in emotional stress and neurotic disorders] Zh Nevropatol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 1988; 88(11): 95-101.

38. Pertsov SS, Balashova TS, Kubatieva AA, Sosnovskii AS, Pirogova GV, Abramov VM. [Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in rat brain in acute emotional stress: effect of interleukin-1beta] Biull Eksp Biol Med. 1995 Sep; 120(9): 244-7.

39. Sosnovskii AS, Kozlov AV. [Increased lipid peroxidation in the rat hypothalamus after short- term emotional stress] Biull Eksp Biol Med. 1992 May; 113(5):486-8.

40. Sivonova M, Zitnanova I, Hlincikova L, Skodacek I, Trebaticka J, Durackova Z. Oxidative stress in university students during examinations. Stress. 2004 Sep; 7(3): 183-8.

41. Irie M, Asami S, Nagata S, Miyata M, Kasai H. Relationships between perceived workload, stress and oxidative DNA damage. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2001 Mar; 74(2): 153-7.

42. Orhan H, van Holland B, Krab B, Moeken J, Vermeulen NP, Hollander P, Meerman JH. Evaluation of a multi-parameter biomarker set for oxidative damage in man: increased urinary excretion of lipid, protein and DNA oxidation products after one hour of exercise. Free Radic Res. 2004 Dec; 38(12): 1269-79.

43. Klapcinska B, Kempa K, Sobczak A, Sadowska-Krepa E, Jagsz S, Szoltysek I. Evaluation of autoantibodies against oxidized LDL (oLAB) and blood antioxidant status in professional soccer players. Int J Sports Med. 2005 Jan-Feb; 26(1): 71-8.

44. Matuszczak Y, Farid M, Jones J, Lansdowne S, Smith MA, Taylor AA, Reid MB. Effects of N- acetylcysteine on glutathione oxidation and fatigue during handgrip exercise. Muscle Nerve. 2005 Nov; 32(5): 633-8.

I just finished reading a book, Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: its mitochondria, not hypochondria by Sarah Myhill, which Gaby had recommended to me several months ago but I hadn't been able to get to until recently. Now that I have, I highly recommend it -- it's a very good overview of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, why it happens, and how it can be treated. Since CFS often results from the drain of chronic infection on our body's resources, it's particularly relevant to the discussion underway on the autoimmune/infection thread as well.

I wanted to briefly quote a few sections from the book -- I'm unfortunately unable to include the full text for now, but I want to provide a few highlights in case anyone would like to follow up in more detail with their own copy:

pp. 6-8 said:
The causes of mitochondrial malfunction

1. Genetic
2. Direct damage by viral [this could also include other microorganisms] or toxic stress
3. Inability to resist viral or toxic stress because of poor nutrition and antioxidant status
4. Nutritional deficiencies
5. The natural aging process
6. No time for healing/repair

These problems can result in:

• Acquired metabolic dyslexias
• Damage to DNA
• Toxins that block mitochondrial function
• Damage from free radicals
• Hormonal imbalances
• Poor energy supply
• Inflammation

pp. 24-25 said:
The basis of treatment

1. Pace (use 80% of the actual energy you feel you have on reserve)
2. Feed your mitochondria
3. Address the underlying causes:
(i) Pacing activities to avoid undue stress to mitochondria
(ii) Getting plenty of sleep so mitochondria can repair
(iii) Receiving excellent nutrition
(iv) Detoxifying
(v) Optimizing gut function
(vi) Addressing the common problem of hypervigilance which often leads to hyperventilation
4. Address the secondary damage

Daily regime of nutritional supplements (p. 65-66, 85)

Standard: Multi-mineral mix, Igennus Vegepa, Hemp oil, Multivitamin, Vitamin C (to bowel tolerance)
Mitochondrial support: Acetyl-L-Carnitine, D-Ribose, CoQ10, B3 (Niacinamide), Magnesium sulphate
Extra antioxidants: Copper, L-Glutathione, B12 (methylcobalamin), Manganese, Zinc, Selenium

Note that the supplements she recommends for mitochondrial support overlap to a great extent with those recommended by Garth Nicolson in his paper that Gaby posted on the autoimmune/infection thread, "Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Chronic Disease: Treatment with Natural Supplements". He also recommends ALA and NADH, and I would also add Oak Wood Extract. I think this regimen can be a useful stopgap for boosting energy until underlying issues like infection and toxicity are taken care of. I've been adding these to my own supplement schedule (with the exception of NADH, which I can't find locally and need to order), and I feel that they've been helpful in ameliorating some of my own fatigue.

p. 105 said:
Reasons why a Stone Age [Paleo] diet may not be working

• A major problem with hypoglycemia
• Upper fermenting gut (parasites, bacterial or yeast overgrowth)
• Poor digestion due to hypochlorhydia (low stomach acid)
• Poor digestion due to pancreatic dysfunction
• Triggering a detox reaction
• Multiple allergies to foods

pp. 176-78 said:
The order of importance

1. Rest
2. Nutritional supplements
3. Sleep
4. Stone Age [Paleo] diet
5. Treat the mitochondrial dysfunction
6. Correct hormonal lesions
7. Detox
8. Avoid infections [given recent research, this should probably be moved higher in the list]

pp. 179-81 said:
What to consider if things get worse

• Gut problems
• Hyperventilation
• Multiple food allergies (single food diet: 5 meals a day made up of single foods)
• Autoimmune problems
• Chronic low-grade infections

The single food diet mentioned above is similar to part of Dr. Rostenberg's gut-healing program that Carl mentioned a few days ago:

http://beyondmthfr.com/10-day-gut-repair/

Eat only lean, organic meat and organic vegetables for 10 days. During this 10 day program, eat MONO MEALS by eating only one food at a time. That means each time you eat, you are only eating one type of food. For example, you eat only eggs for breakfast, green beans for a mid-morning snack, grass-fed steak for lunch, asparagus for an afternoon snack, and grilled salmon for dinner. Do this for the entire 10 days. Don’t be surprised if you experience some healthy weight loss on this program also!

Under "Chronic low-grade infections", Dr. Myhill says this:

This is difficult because the tests are not reliable and often one has to resort to a trial of antibiotics. Antibiotics are a two-edged sword because of the risk of making a yeast problem flare up. Mycoplasma (Lyme disease, caught from tick bites) may be much more common than is believed, but at present I do not know how to diagnose it reliably or treat it reliably. I have a few patients with a typical history who have responded well to high-dose long-term doxycycline. It may be that the problem we are dealing with is not infection but allergy to microbes. Meanwhile, chronic Epstein-Barr virus and other human herpes viruses may be a cause of long-term symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome. Treatment with anti-virals is effective in restoring some sufferers to health.

Dr. Myhill has a very extensive wiki-site which appears to be updated frequently -- I recommend using the search engine to find information on specific topics:

http://www.doctormyhill.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

A couple of entries which are relevant to infection:

http://www.doctormyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_can_be_caused_by_chronic_infection

http://www.doctormyhill.co.uk/wiki/Chronic_infection_–_Life_is_an_arms_race_–_how_to_tackle_with_natural_remedies

One line from the second entry which I found interesting is this:

Nishihara has shown that fermenting microbes in the gut can be present in the brain with the potential to ferment neurotransmitters and cause psychiatric disease [with linked reference].

This has been a common theme in my life with those I love.

So I've been scouring the material posted. It is my opinion that doctors often diagnose you with Lupus or FM/CF when they aren't sure what you have. Which begs the question if Lupus is in fact a legitimate disease that can have a specific etiology. The general consensus is that it's the body attacking itself. However, I've recently become close to someone who is on the journey of seeking answers and they, like so many loved ones in my life, have been diagnosed with this affliction.

(Odd note: my mother has "chronic fatigue," leaning towards Fibromyalgia, with some of the highest numbers of marker cells on record anywhere. My friend, Tina, who has similar symptoms, has her birthday ONE day before my mother's. I thought this was interesting.)

Tina has tested positive for double-stranded anti-DNA. This is often a dead-giveaway for Lupus, though, testing positive does not necessarily mean that you do have Lupus.
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/anti-dsdna/tab/test/

She has the standard Lupus symptoms, pain in muscles, while breathing, anemia, fatigue, anxiety, headache, extreme depression, sensitivity to light... however, shows no swelling, edema, water retention, nor does she present with rashes and major skin disturbances.

I was ready to chalk this up to microbial problems and tell her to get some iodine, however, her kidneys are also in bad shape and I cannot guarantee that she'll drink enough water to handle the resulting Herxheimer's. There are also outlying symptoms besides simple depression/body aches.

She cannot bear children naturally.

She was previously diagnosed with Syndrome X, and produces more Androgens and male hormones than most girls do.

(Note: I attempted distance Reiki a few months ago, just for pain relief, and she said it was the only good night's sleep she's gotten. During the session- honestly her energy felt extremely masculine to me. If I hadn't known it was Tina, I would have thought I was working on a dude.)

Is it possible, just possible, that Tina's past lives as a boy (if she has them) are so strong for her, that her Soul Matrix itself is actually wreaking havoc with her body, which was born as a woman?

She is having an MRI done today on her brain and I will find out more, but she has tested negative for true "Lupus" via bloodwork just yesterday. This leaves me to believe this has it's origin in her spiritual makeup as her physical makeup is yielding no positive results.

As for my mother, she honestly has more true Lupus symptoms than Tina does. Including extreme edema and high blood pressure. So I'm going to try and get her to get herself tested.

Any light anyone can shed on Tina's issues might just save her life.

Thanks for reading.

Back
Top Bottom