Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I just wanted to thank everyone for the info. I've avoided doing the shake and attempting to do the diet for several months. Being a more hands on person I wanted someone to come along and do the lifting for me. What I've found out is, is that a blender is not as complicated as I first thought. Always fearful of screwing things up.

Yesterday I had my first and today my second. Of course learning a new thing I found out that I probably want to make a fresh one instead of, as I did, make to much and leave the leftovers for the next day. It wasn't as good having a 24 hour old shake. So now I have a question, to see if I'm getting this right.

Laura Wrote:
Morning: Take probiotics first. Get a good one, enteric coated. Take one or two.

Then make Shake consisting of:
Berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, mix, etc. I buy them
frozen and keep a variety in the freezer. You can use them frozen or warmed
up. I warm mine up in the nuker.)
Alternative milk (oat, rice, almond - if you tolerate dairy well (blood type
B) then you can use milk)
1 TBSP Vit C powder - we get it in 1 pound containers from NOW foods)
1 TBSP Spirulina or Chlorella (we get it in 4 pound containers from NOW
foods)
1 TBSP Flax seed oil (we buy this from a livestock feed supplier in a five
liter container. If it is good enough for horses, it's good enough for us.)
Stevia if wanted - and you probably will want it. I use about 5 drops

Blend and drink with:
two capsules Alpha Lipoic Acid
1 capsule reduced Glutathione,
one tablet high potency B vitamins,
high potency mineral supplement (which is usually three capsules but depends
on which product you buy),
and one or two dimagnesium malate or magnesium citrate ( You need 6 to 10 mg
MG per kilo of bodyweight per day. If your bowels get too loose, back the
magnesium down a tad until everything is flowing smoothly, but not too
loose.)

My question is "Blend and drink with" did that mean to put the pills into the shake? I actually did do that. :)

No, it does not mean to put the pills in the shake unless you want to. It just means drink the shake and, at the same time, take the supplements. I generally down my supplements with water because my shake is too thick to take pills with it.

Thanks Laura, sounds like it will even be more palatable without the pills in it. Think I'll even able to skip the Stevia too, being that I had no Stevia in it with the pills and was able to drink it down. I'll know for certain tomorrow.

I don't recommend setting aside fresh juice overnight FWIW. It was much harder to stomach.

Myself and my sisters all had the illness. I am the youngest of the three. My middle sister began the symptoms in 1977 after a bout of lung cancer which was supposed to be cured or in remission. Mine started in 1989 and trips to the doctors and tests were inconclusive as to what was ailing me. Then in 1990 there was an article in the Toronto Star, front page of the Lifestyle section outlining my illness. Chronic Fatugue System. It was becoming an new epidemic. Armed with the article, I returned to my doctor to point out the info. Further tests were still showed nothing. The Rolling Stone Magazine then produced, what was at the time, the most comprehensive information available at the time. The only applicable information from the article was that anti depressants seemed to help some people. That didn't work well for me. Didn't like the side effects. I was having recurring Mononuceosis, sometimes referred to Epstien Barr Virus. which is supposed to be a one shot deal like the chickenpox. Exhausted all the time, very sensitive do hot and cold temperatures, body joints aching and losing cognitive functions. I would swing from high anxiety, which usually made me faint, to crushing depressions. I couldn't work. I was broke. I had no support, and I was losing my mind. I was sent for psychological testing from which they deducted nothing really wrong with me on that score. I changed jobs from blue collar to white collar to being a cab driver, Could only work in spurts. But I was an excellent cab driver and even drove for the most prestigious limousine company in Canada. Left the system for good then and never returned. Never had a pay stub with deduction since 1990. After about 3 or 4 years, it went away. Now my eldest sister contacted the same thing around 1995 and she was not able to shake it, or it was misdiagnosed because she ended up dead with a very rare form of bone cancer that usually only afflicts the very elderly. She was 58 at the time. What's worse is that in many ways it wasn't the cancer that killed her but the doctors treatments and ineptitude that were responsible. The doctors said that they would be taking her as close as death as one could be taken while extracting and reintroducing some T cells. New Cancer Clinic, new hospital, new procedure but all of my sisters systems failed during the operatiom. Only problem-no emergency department to handle her body collapse of heart. liver, etc. I watched her die in front of me at another hospital in intensive care. I was unable to cry at that moment or at her funeral. I was still fuming mad. Or still stunned from my mothers death five weeks previously. It was really too much!

The anger story was given because it was that very anger that saved me. When you are in a crushing depression, and have a perception of no hope or future, there is almost no longer any emotional sensations. Luckily, it was my anger that drove me out of that state to DO something when provoked usually by human stupidity-otherwise it would have been suicide. Doing or death. It will always be a protected state in me, whether that is STS or not. Anger can lead to aggression but it doesn't have to manifest in say violence, but can create constructive change. I came to realize later that the illness, sometimes called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia came from years of suppressed emotions about what I thought I should be doing with my life and the subsequent fear of change. Talk about blocked chakras! Once my attitude adjusted to a more flexible future path combined with less self criticism, I went my own way. The physical problems went away. Life still sucks but there has been no further depressions since those times.

There was also a large upside to all of this. Having CFS and being unemployed, I had time to read Seth and Carlos Castaneda. Began to meditate. And then I had terrifying dreams and premonitions as I developed some psychic abilities. Sometimes in my dreams there were aliens involved, invasions and battles. In 1998 I bought my first computer, and looked endlessly for answers to what I experienced in my dreams. It was around 2001/2 that I found Laura's site, her yahoo group and the answers to my questions. Been here ever since.

Now that may explain me to some degree, but one wonders why did Laura get this? If I had to guess, it would be a conflict hidden in her subconscious revolving around her establishing The Fellowship. On some level, she knew what needed to be done, but after an agonizing past, there was great apprehension about establishing something that could be labeled a "cult". Just a guess mind you.

And, if you wish to make the body more alkaline , drink a glass of water with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with it. Simple and effective.

ziggystarlust said:
Now that may explain me to some degree, but one wonders why did Laura get this? If I had to guess, it would be a conflict hidden in her subconscious revolving around her establishing The Fellowship. On some level, she knew what needed to be done, but after an agonizing past, there was great apprehension about establishing something that could be labeled a "cult". Just a guess mind you.

And, if you wish to make the body more alkaline , drink a glass of water with a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with it. Simple and effective.

Sad story, ZSL, you have my condolences.

There is a book called "Treating and Beating Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" that you can find here: http://www.treatingandbeating.com/ or on amazon.

My own condition began when I was 9 years old following a severe flu like illness that nearly killed me. That's typical for sufferers of Fibromyalgia and CFS. There is a strong genetic component and, unfortunately, my children have inherited the "tendency". But fortunately, we now know what it is and they don't have to suffer their whole lives as I did. We now know many ways to get around the genetic/toxic environment issues.

You don't have to put so much baking soda in your water to alkalinize... just a pinch or two in all the water you drink will do the trick. If, for some reason, you need to alkalinize stronger and faster, of course you will want to use more, but for general purposes, you don't need so much and won't even taste it!

Laura said:
[You don't have to put so much baking soda in your water to alkalinize... just a pinch or two in all the water you drink will do the trick. If, for some reason, you need to alkalinize stronger and faster, of course you will want to use more, but for general purposes, you don't need so much and won't even taste it!

Talking about baking soda, here's an article form Dr Mercola's website:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/15/Baking-Soda-Used-to-Treat-Swine-Flu-85-Years-Ago.aspx

I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2006. I am now dangerously close to 53. As most know, it is primarily an overactive nervous system. After researching and plotting my own history, I felt I probably have had it to a greater or lesser degree my entire life. I have tried many different things and do the following: Supplement of calcium/magnesium/zinc every day. Vitamin D supplement in the winter (spring, summer and fall I am outside). Herbal supplement called Zyflamend from New Chapter. I take the daytime version which has rosemary, turmeric, ginger, holy basil, green tea, hu zhang, Chinese goldthread, barberry, oregano, and Baikal skullcap. The nighttime version includes valerian. I have always grown my own herbs and vegetables, and in the last two years my own grass-fed beef, in the last 13 years my own eggs. I have always avoided processed foods and fast food. I don't "eat out" more than once every two weeks or so. In the last year our local grocery started carrying an antibiotic- and hormone-free local milk, but I limit my dairy to a glass of milk a couple of times a week and some cheese. I can do some things others with Fibro may not or want not to do, like wearing longjohns on my legs in the winter, and I had to quit my extremely stressful job (family law paralegal) but I am not without an income. I obviously get quite a bit of exercise outside, and use yoga and massage to stay limber. So much for the physical. I still have cognitive and memory problems. It's tough to go from being sharper than a tack to dumber than a doornail. I have to reread everything a few times before it "sticks" and then that doesn't always work. What I can remember, I can't remember the source. I looked into guafenesin but the info says to avoid salicyclates because they will block the clearing action of the guafenesin, and plants are loaded with them and I like my vegetables (the nightshade family doesn't seem to affect me). I will research malic acid. I am generally happy, not depressed, anxious, etc. Anyone have any other ideas on how to clear the fog?

Slow Motion Mary said:
I am generally happy, not depressed, anxious, etc. Anyone have any other ideas on how to clear the fog?

What did for me (and many others i know) was the change in diet: a COMPLETE elimination of dairy, gluten sugar, alcohol and certain spices from my foods. Doing the Detox Diet as described in the link, and following with testing each food, you will be able to identify which foods are inflammatory for you. Fibromyalgia IS inflamation. After i followed the detox diet protocol, pains in my body disappeared and my brain came out of the fog. Try it out Slow Motion Mary and i am sure it will help you too. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your results :)

Thanks, Alana! Gluten has been such a hot topic recently I decided just this week to forego gluten. So I will report on results later. Aw, giving up my couple of glasses of milk a week is gonna hurt. So far it doesn't bother me. I'll think on it while I see how the gluten thing works. Also looked up malic acid. Just three weeks or so ago I decided to eat an apple a day instead of every once in a while (I like veggies more than fruit), and guess what? Fruits are a good source of malic acid! I'm also detoxing from fluoride and aluminum, about 6 months and one month, respectively. Oh, and I smoke, about 15 a day. Did you notice I take things slowly? :cool2:

Alana said:
What did for me (and many others i know) was the change in diet: a COMPLETE elimination of dairy, gluten sugar, alcohol and certain spices from my foods. Doing the Detox Diet as described in the link, and following with testing each food, you will be able to identify which foods are inflammatory for you. Fibromyalgia IS inflamation. After i followed the detox diet protocol, pains in my body disappeared and my brain came out of the fog. Try it out Slow Motion Mary and i am sure it will help you too. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your results :)

Absolutely. Also, no need to take calcium until you are certain that your magnesium levels are where they should be. This thread has more info - but pretty much everyone is deficient in magnesium and it can take a year or more of supplementation (magnesium citrate, magnesium malate) to remedy it - until you do, your body can't even utilize calcium.

Hi all from another sufferer of CFS (started 1996),

I wonder how many forum participants have either FM or CFS !! There were quite a few super moderators replies in this thread and Laura's of course. Maybe a bit of a subliminal pattern there between folks who have these conditions and a tendency to become more "awake"????? Coincidence or logical progression?

Anyway, great tip about the baking soda. I have spent SOOOO much money on all sorts of stuff I should be taking in recent months and to learn there are some terribly cheap and effective "grandmother's remedies" is great.

The comments about a higher prevalence amongst FM/CFS sufferers as looking much longer than their real age and increased psychic ability is also very interesting - are there any references to chase on that? Most people routinely guess my age as ten years younger than it really is. Psychic? - well, I've had some experiences that certainly would fall into that realm but I would not say I was very psychic - I go to experienced readers to get messages (I don't trust what comes into my head).

Also found the articles that mycoplasma as a weaponised pathogen to be VERY interesting. I was diagnosed with mycoplasma in Jan 96; from there I picked up mono (gladular fever) and after that, Epstein Barr - all between Jan and June. Never been the same since the mycoplasma and after that, my previously low chlorestorol went up a point a year until I reached almost ten (in Australian measurement - normal is below 5)) and was put on Lipitor. I also learned somewhere that mycop. feeds on chlorestorol, so what better way for a pathogen to survive is to influence the body to produce more of what it feeds on.

What has always struck me since the diagnosis of mycop. was made is how did I possibly pick this up??? At the time, I lived in Sydney and had stepped on some powerful toes in the PTB group. I was extroardinarily stressed and had made arrangements to get out and move interstate. The move was postponed for a week because I was too ill to travel. However, I lived in the US until the end of 1989. Has anyone accessed a copy of the report referenced in the article which mentions that this pathogen dispersal was conducted over 32 American cities? I'd like to find out which cities those were.

I am still very prone to really unsusual diseases such as viral meningitis, psitticosis twice, helicobacter, Peudomonas and invasive strep, plus cardiovascular issues, etc. - haven't had a cold or flu since I stopped eating meat in 1974 but I have had a bewildering array of other things which provides some diversion and interest to my GP! After I had a stroke in July 2010, my weight started to skyrocket. I finally went for an iridology session and have implemented some drastic diet changes since.

Since the end of October, I have had to eliminate all gluten and dairy and take a myriad of supplements and amino acids including magnesium, B's, calcium, flax, liver tonics, probiotics, etc. I also picked up oxygen tablets to help cleanse/detox the colon which are helpful (I think). All that was fine but apparently that wasn't enough.

Also been told since to eliminate rice, corn, potatoes, anything starchy, all fruit, all grains, all carbs as much as possible.
I also have to include insulin resistance in this diet so where I do have any kind of carb, I have to have protein.
Basically, my diet has been reduced to almost entirely eggs, nuts, beans, the occasional fish and vegetables. I've refused to eliminate all fruit though as I can't see how this will help. I'm eating pomegranites, berries, tomatoes and avocados. I have the occasional carrot juice with nuts.

I also have been trying to detox the colon and liver but really, when you add the focus of all these diets together, it is completely disorienting because one says "no fruit" while the other says "eat lots of fruit". I'm not really sure of what to eat anymore, but after four months, any further limitations will send me over the cliff. I have lost at least a little weight so far (6 kilos/13 pounds) so something is better. Is this all just healing crisis (Herxheimer reaction)?

After four months of special diets and lots of supplements, I really feel like crap. The supplements seem to aggravate my liver rather than heal it (feels sore and inflamed after taking the supplements.). My CFS brain fog and fatigue is worse now than when I first picked up the disease. I do volunteer work from home and my productivity with that is substantially reduced to the point where I don't want to continue this work anymore, despite how important is for the environment. I'm cranky and feeling morose. I don't know how to sort out all this advice or which types of "detox" should be done in what order! Does anybody have any suggestions what might be a better way to procede? :(

Thanks and cheers.

New Yorker,

Have you considered adding meat to your diet? You may want to check out this thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=20771.0. Your diet seems to be lacking in essential fats that are needed for cell integrity, proper brain function and "lubrication" to all parts of the body. See this article for starters: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/06/06/saturated-fat/

Also since you are on Lipitor, you may want to look up the side effects which include liver toxicity and muscle pain and weakness.

My 2 cents...

Odyssey said:
New Yorker,

Have you considered adding meat to your diet? You may want to check out this thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=20771.0. Your diet seems to be lacking in essential fats that are needed for cell integrity, proper brain function and "lubrication" to all parts of the body. See this article for starters: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/06/06/saturated-fat/

Also since you are on Lipitor, you may want to look up the side effects which include liver toxicity and muscle pain and weakness.

My 2 cents...

Yes. Let me stress that ALL of my fibromyalgia symptoms disappeared when I changed my diet to no gluten, no dairy, no soy, no additives, no processed food and no pharmaceuticals!!! (and I added meat for high quality fat intake after 23 years of being a vegetarian) I can't stress this enough - what one ingests causes those symptoms (at least my own experience is evidence of that, as is the experience of many others on this forum).

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. Yes, I have been learning a lot more lately about some of the things I had been eating previously and have been taking drastic steps to try to change these things.

I was a meat eater up until I was 17 and still used to get sick, although my problems then were more respiratory with a constant succession of chronic bronchitis, sinus infections, respiratory infections, ear infections, Strep throat, and colds (which seems to fly in the face of the fourhour site's comments about greater respiratory health - my respiratory health was far worse as a meat eater!). All those problems practically stopped when I gave up meat for ethical reasons.

Despite the majority of comments in the forum which seem to take the stance that there are 'no excuses for being a vegetarian' - and I don't want to offend anyone that eats meat - I personally still find the concept of eating animals to be barbaric and repulsive, something undignified of a compassionate species. But I understand that most others find nothing wrong with it. It's no different a stance to me than my not wanting to be a member of the Klan, or my not wanting to join the army or my not wanting to become a ballet dancer - I'm not interested in those things and wouldn't want to participate in them.

When I became a veggie, I suddenly began to crave fish immensely and, after five years, I began to include fish in my diet. When I lived in NYC in the early 80's, I used to eat in Japanese restaurants at least 3 times a week and I didn't get sick at all during that time - except for a really bad ear infection in 1984 that required surgery (the last one I ever had, thankfully). I still eat fish and, at least in this part of the world, the fish is caught from clean waters adjoining the World Heritage Area so it doesn't have the pollution issues dominant in some other parts of the world. But even eating fish makes me neauseous sometimes.

However, I do - or at least was - eating a lot more animal byproducts such as tons of dairy until I was told that I need to "clear out all this mucous because I'm not absorbing my food properly" and had to go off it. I had cheese, yoghurt, and milk daily (and the occasional ice cream or a recipe that uses heavy cream), often multiple times per day. (As it turned out, that was a response to the insulin resistence issue - I was also eating a lot of carbs and craved the protein to balance out the carbs!).

from the fourhourworkweek site:

"You see with just a glance at [our suggested meal plans] that we’ve included fatty cuts of meat, chicken with the skin, bacon, eggs, butter, coconut oil, organic lard, and heavy cream in the plan"

Contrary to recent suggestions about what to eliminate from my diet, I am still eating all the butter I want, and coconut cream, and eggs. I would be happy to put some dairy back into my diet. Is there anything in particular that could be added that would still provide the saturated fats that are talked about with meat?

Yes, I understand that the drugs aren't helping the matter any. I'm presently down to one - even tolerating pain to avoid taking any pain killers.

With the lipitor, I was taken off that about 7 months ago because even the highest dose wasn't bring my chlor. down. I was switched to crestor which definitely lowered the chlor but also caused my liver to fail two enzyme tests. I lowered the dose myself but, because I have been knocking out the carbs (and some weight), I have voluntarily gone off crestor entirely. I shall know after the next blood test if all is good now. Turns out the carbs were feeding the high chlor (SOTT article on that in the past week).

I am on aspirin daily though to thin the blood because of the stroke and I can't cease that for the time being. This wasn't the usual "arteries are clogged so now you'll have a stroke" situation. The cane farmers here went ballistic with burning this year which covers the region in a blanket of heavy smoke and volatile organic compounds (which the PTB will do nothing about). I became ill from the smoke and coughed for weeks. The coughing fits tore the lining of my carotid and then the artery collapsed entirely (it takes major brain surgery to repair the vein). The common manifestation of a leak out of the carotid lining is a blood clot which gets carried somewhere smaller and thus, the stroke. I can't get surgery to repair the carotid which can leak again and cause another clot, thus the aspirin. This should seal over in time but for now, aspirin is still on the table.

If the inclusion of saturated fat is the key, I hope that there are some dairy products I can go back to eating that contain this. Of course, I'd be happy to increase my intake of butter! Thanks kindly for your time.

NewYorker said:
With the lipitor, I was taken off that about 7 months ago because even the highest dose wasn't bring my chlor. down. I was switched to crestor which definitely lowered the chlor but also caused my liver to fail two enzyme tests. I lowered the dose myself but, because I have been knocking out the carbs (and some weight), I have voluntarily gone off crestor entirely. I shall know after the next blood test if all is good now. Turns out the carbs were feeding the high chlor (SOTT article on that in the past week).

I am on aspirin daily though to thin the blood because of the stroke and I can't cease that for the time being. This wasn't the usual "arteries are clogged so now you'll have a stroke" situation. The cane farmers here went ballistic with burning this year which covers the region in a blanket of heavy smoke and volatile organic compounds (which the PTB will do nothing about). I became ill from the smoke and coughed for weeks. The coughing fits tore the lining of my carotid and then the artery collapsed entirely (it takes major brain surgery to repair the vein). The common manifestation of a leak out of the carotid lining is a blood clot which gets carried somewhere smaller and thus, the stroke. I can't get surgery to repair the carotid which can leak again and cause another clot, thus the aspirin. This should seal over in time but for now, aspirin is still on the table.

Oh! Dear Lord! Please look into taking ascorbic acid (vitamin C) for this. If I remember my reading of Pauling right, ascorbic acid is the primary agent for the health and well-being of your blood vessels. When you don't have enough ascorbic acid (maybe two to ten grams per day), your body will use its emergency backup -- cholestorol, which has its long term problems but is better than dying in the short term.

If you are getting enough ascorbic acid, then forget about your cholestorol levels. Your body NEEDS cholesterol. Let your body do its thing.

There is a lot more you can do for your health, but I think this is probably the best way you can start. TAKE ASCORBIC ACID. Start at one or two grams per day and increase until your body says ENOUGH! (Usually painless diahrea.) Then back off a trifle and you know how much to take.

Back
Top Bottom