Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Hello again

funny think with "Paul the Deacon" ;)

I want to start with new author ( I like Gothic history ) as I want to read "Jordanes" write about it.

I haven't seen up-to-date list with author ?

Polybius Shane
Diodorus of Sicily
Dionysius of Halicarnassus seeking truth
Livy Laura
Marcus Velleius Paterculus
Flavius Josephus
Plutarch
Gaius Cornelius Tacitus
Suetonius
Dio Cassius
Herodian
Eusebius of Caesarea
Ammianus Marcellinus
Theodoret
Priscus
Sozomen
Salvian
John Malalas Laura
Zosimus Zadius Sky
Procopius Laura (next)
Jordanes Icedesert (now)
Nennius Bear
Gregory of Tours Laura (Done)
Bede
Paul the Deacon Icedesert (dropped) Laura (Done)
Michael the syrian( french) pierre
ice core data mkrhr
Pliny the Elder Laura

Laura said:
Well, maybe we should do just what you had initially done: change to Kronk's date for the entry, note the 1 year possible variation, and put note in that Kronk's dating is used. Might make it easier in the long run.

Oops -- I actually went through yesterday and changed all the dates back to Yeomans, adding the 1 year variation. My thinking is that this will help to keep things consistent, since Kronk doesn't seem to include anything that's not in Yeomans (that I've seen yet, at least), but Yeomans sometimes has entries that aren't included in Kronk. If we stick with Yeomans' dating, at least everything will be consistent, so if we find out Kronk was right we just need to shift everything forward one year (I think there should be an easy computational way to do that?).

Let me know if that sounds good -- if not, I can go back and switch the dates again.

Dirgni said:
@Laura and Shijing: I removed my duplicates and updated appropriate events (107, 122, 123, 205, 209, 212, 213, 217, 219, 222, 225, 902, 896, 899, 900, 901, 905, 924).
There are still some of my entries left. :cool2:

Thanks dirgni, it's much appreciated. I'll also be going in as I'm able and double-checking. I'm only at -83 BC right now, but I hope to do more today and/or tomorrow.

Shijing said:
Laura said:
Well, maybe we should do just what you had initially done: change to Kronk's date for the entry, note the 1 year possible variation, and put note in that Kronk's dating is used. Might make it easier in the long run.

Oops -- I actually went through yesterday and changed all the dates back to Yeomans, adding the 1 year variation. My thinking is that this will help to keep things consistent, since Kronk doesn't seem to include anything that's not in Yeomans (that I've seen yet, at least), but Yeomans sometimes has entries that aren't included in Kronk. If we stick with Yeomans' dating, at least everything will be consistent, so if we find out Kronk was right we just need to shift everything forward one year (I think there should be an easy computational way to do that?).

Let me know if that sounds good -- if not, I can go back and switch the dates again.

Dirgni said:
@Laura and Shijing: I removed my duplicates and updated appropriate events (107, 122, 123, 205, 209, 212, 213, 217, 219, 222, 225, 902, 896, 899, 900, 901, 905, 924).
There are still some of my entries left. :cool2:

Thanks dirgni, it's much appreciated. I'll also be going in as I'm able and double-checking. I'm only at -83 BC right now, but I hope to do more today and/or tomorrow.

There were some Kronk entries I did not find Yeomans or Archeoastronomy equivalents. The difference of 1 year were in the earlier entries (BC) but it seems not in the later entries (5xx). I found Kronk much more detailed than the other two.

Thank you Shijing for double-checking. Four eyes see more than two. (And I do not like to be the source of additional work for you. So you are very welcome.) Thank you for taking care.

Icedesert said:
Hello again

funny think with "Paul the Deacon" ;)

I want to start with new author ( I like Gothic history ) as I want to read "Jordanes" write about it.

If you are going to do Jordanes, be sure that you cross check every entry with other sources. Jordanes is highly unreliable - basically, a "written on command" history that was designed to make it appear that the Goths had some connection to Romans/Christians.

Dirgni said:
There were some Kronk entries I did not find Yeomans or Archeoastronomy equivalents. The difference of 1 year were in the earlier entries (BC) but it seems not in the later entries (5xx). I found Kronk much more detailed than the other two.

Thank you Shijing for double-checking. Four eyes see more than two. (And I do not like to be the source of additional work for you. So you are very welcome.) Thank you for taking care.

If that's the case then let's leave it as Shijing has it and just make sure to make notes going forward. Data is going to make a special field for me so that when I start to try to sort out the dating issues, I will have a place to enter the "probable date" as opposed to the given dates. That might produce some very interesting results.

Zadig, there are entries from "Carolingian Chronicles: Royal Frankish Annals and Nithard's Histories" you included. Are they from this source _http://www.amazon.com/Carolingian-Chronicles-Frankish-Histories-Paperbacks/dp/0472061860/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396348796&sr=8-1&keywords=Carolingian+Chronicles ?

Yes.

Maybe you should consider to add more content at source part to make it easier to identify the source?

There is no overlapping of the sources. Nithard is only useful around the years of the Treaty of Verdun. But I will specify it, when I will quote from Nithard.

I am doing "The Annals of Fulda: Ninth-Century Histories, Volume II" and "The Annals of St-Bertin: Ninth-Century Histories, Volume I", which include the same year at least in the beginning as "Carolingian Chronicles".

If you have time to do it, read also Regino of Prüm, it's the other major chronicler for the 9th century.

There is an english translation but if you understand German you can find it for free in the MGH. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regino_of_Pr%C3%BCm

By the way, are you really sure that the Annals of Fulda and Saint-Bertin don’t talk about the Halley’s comet of 837?

I use Francia, West Francia, East Francia, (Middle Francia) for the Frankish Kingdoms in the ninth century (please refer to _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francia). You take France, Germany and sometimes Carolingian empire for location past, which did not exist during that time as far as I know. Maybe we should use the same names for the location to make it more consistent?

Yes, it would be better. I use modern names because it's easier for us.

For example, people will seek Spain not Marca Hispanica.

Zadig said:
Zadig, there are entries from "Carolingian Chronicles: Royal Frankish Annals and Nithard's Histories" you included. Are they from this source _http://www.amazon.com/Carolingian-Chronicles-Frankish-Histories-Paperbacks/dp/0472061860/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396348796&sr=8-1&keywords=Carolingian+Chronicles ?

Yes.

Maybe you should consider to add more content at source part to make it easier to identify the source?

There is no overlapping of the sources. Nithard is only useful around the years of the Treaty of Verdun. But I will specify it, when I will quote from Nithard.

Thank you for confirmation. Is Nithard only talking about "the usual things" or is the text considered unreliable during that time?

I am doing "The Annals of Fulda: Ninth-Century Histories, Volume II" and "The Annals of St-Bertin: Ninth-Century Histories, Volume I", which include the same year at least in the beginning as "Carolingian Chronicles".

If you have time to do it, read also Regino of Prüm, it's the other major chronicler for the 9th century.

There is an english translation but if you understand German you can find it for free in the MGH. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regino_of_Pr%C3%BCm

By the way, are you really sure that the Annals of Fulda and Saint-Bertin don’t talk about the Halley’s comet of 837?

I may check Regino of Prüm when I finished the other two. Thank you for your recommendation. I do understand German but if there is something to include in this database, maybe I should just take the English version...

There is no comet mentioned in Annals of Saint-Bertin and no unusual event the whole year. My copy of Annals of Fulda starts with translation of 838. I found a translation in Kronk for the 837 comet and a latin text. I included the latin text with the translation of Kronk.

In 838/839 there is a comet, a couple of fireballs, red sky and a flood where land was lost to sea forever. The description of these events were more extensive that the 837 comet. But I ask myself how reliable the dates of these annals really are. :/

I use Francia, West Francia, East Francia, (Middle Francia) for the Frankish Kingdoms in the ninth century (please refer to _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francia). You take France, Germany and sometimes Carolingian empire for location past, which did not exist during that time as far as I know. Maybe we should use the same names for the location to make it more consistent?

Yes, it would be better. I use modern names because it's easier for us.

For example, people will seek Spain not Marca Hispanica.
I remembered "Frankenreich" (Francia) from my history lessons. Francia included besides France and Germany also Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria and parts of Italy. So maybe Europeans would check for Francia as this is more accurate.
I would include Spain in "present location" and "Marca Hispanica" in past location. If you prefer to skip "Marca Hispanica" I would include Spain in present location and not past location. Just my 2 cents. :-[

I just made my first entry of an earthquake in Klaudioupolis (modern Bolu) as described by Leo the Deacon in the english translation of his work "The history of Leo the Deacon: Byzantine military expansion in the tenth century" by Talbot and Sullivan. Can you check it out if it's done right?

It appears from the authors' notes (and ckecking with wiki and other google searches) that Leo is prone to errors, so instead of going with 965 as the year of the event, I went with 967. See my notes for that. There's a few more events I'd be including from this book.

Alana, you did your first entry fine. You should include your other entries IMHO.

Here is my feedback (and I am still a beginner with this, too :/):

If Leo provided a year I would mention it in the quote box. I would also include Leos year in the occurrence year box with appropriate uncertainty - 2 years. But you could also choose the authors year and mark uncertainty. Then you put in a remark in other notes box to explain this - you already did this extensively.

I am still struggling with keywords myself. For keywords I sometimes search for entries with the same event type and check the keywords especially at Laura's entries. My choice for your entry would be maybe: "city/towns destroyed, people killed and buried under ruins, God's wrath". Keywords are for searching so they should be general. And they could be used to find potential doubles. Therefore they have to be general, short but descriptive.

You could also read this thread to check Laura's comments how to include entries in the database. And I think that at least I will sometimes go over my own entries to check if I could improve them in keywords, etc... :)

When you have got a question about database entries you could include your quote and other information in this thread. This makes it easier to answer it...

Entry 1404
Occurrence Year: 967

Quote:
During the same year, when summer was just turning to autumn, God shook the earth greatly, so that buildings and towns were destroyed. It happened then that Klaudioupolis, the most prosperous town of the Galatians, was demolished by the irresistible quaking and trembling,and became a sudden grave for its inhabitants, and many visitors who happened to be there were also killed instantly.

[...]

In any case, all Klaudioupolis was at that time destroyed from its foundations by the force of the earthquake, and obliterated, draining the cup of God's untempered wrath.

Keywords:
city demolished,people buried under ruins,inhabitants and visitors killed instantly,

Just my 2 cents :-[

I just made my first entry of an earthquake in Klaudioupolis (modern Bolu) as described by Leo the Deacon in the english translation of his work "The history of Leo the Deacon: Byzantine military expansion in the tenth century" by Talbot and Sullivan. Can you check it out if it's done right?

Yes it’s good. But can you put the name of the author, not the name of the translator?

Is Nithard only talking about "the usual things" or is the text considered unreliable during that time?

Because ¾ of his book is about the period between 838-843.

I remembered "Frankenreich" (Francia) from my history lessons. Francia included besides France and Germany also Belgium, the Netherlands, Austria and parts of Italy. So maybe Europeans would check for Francia as this is more accurate.

I would include Spain in "present location" and "Marca Hispanica" in past location. If you prefer to skip "Marca Hispanica" I would include Spain in present location and not past location. Just my 2 cents.

Ok, I will put past and present locations.

Icedesert said:
I haven't seen up-to-date list with author ?

I reviewed through the entire thread, focusing on the authors, and updated the "initial" table:

Ancient AuthorVolunteer
Polybius Renaissance
Diodorus of Sicily
Dionysius of Halicarnassus SeekinTruth
Livy Laura
Marcus Velleius Paterculus
Flavius Josephus Palinurus
Plutarch Shijing
Gaius Cornelius Tacitus
Suetonius Shijing
Dio Cassius Eboard10
Herodian Eboard10 (done)
Eusebius of Caesarea
Ammianus Marcellinus Zadius Sky
Theodoret
Priscus
Sozomen
Salvian
John Malalas Laura
Zosimus Zadius Sky (done)
Procopius Zadius Sky (five entries initially) ∞ Laura
Jordanes Icedesert
Nennius Bear
Gregory of Tours Laura (done)
Bede
Paul the Deacon Icedesert (dropped) ∞ Laura (done)
Michael the Syrian (French) Pierre
Ice Core Data mkrhr
------------

All of the above is what I have found so far, with several members saying that they'll do or they're done or dropped. If any of the above is incorrect, that's because it had not been stated in this thread.

I had thought about adding other ancient authors to the list that several members were working on, but a few members were working several authors at once and moving on without finishing their entire works (i.e., one entry of one ancient author was inputted but not his entire work were read and so on). Zadig even made over 458 entries from 35+ sources, so I couldn't include him in the list above.

Eboard10,
you mentioned you are looking at the cassius Dio Books 71-80; I made some entries from Dio Cassius remaining books, though it was not in my initial plan. I have some entries from book 71-80 too, if you want me to enter them, I will enter.

I added in additional fields for 'corrected dates'. I copied all 'given dates' to the 'corrected dates' as a starting point. If you change a 'corrected date', it will appear in red color on the listings page. The graphs now also support displaying/filtering by 'corrected dates'.

Here's a little example of how things can go:

Take a look at entries: 1421, 1422, 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1429

I was finishing off Pliny and came across this:

LXXXVIII. New lands are also formed in another way, and suddenly emerge in a different sea, nature as it were balancing accounts with herself and restoring in another place what an earthquake has engulfed.

LXXXIX. The famous islands of Delos and Rhodes are recorded in history as having been born from the sea long ago, and subsequently smaller ones, Anaphe beyond Melos, Neae between Lemnos and the Dardanelles, Halone between Lebedos and Teos, Thera and Therasia among the Cyclades in the 4th year of the 145th Olympiad; also in the same group Hiera, which is the same as Automate, 130 years later; and 2 stades from Hiera, Thia 110 years later, in our age, on July 8 in the year of the consulship of Marcus Junius Silanus and Lucius Balbus. Before our time also among the Aeolian Islands near Italy, as well as near Crete, there emerged from the sea one island 2500 paces long, with hot springs, and another in the 3rd year of Olympiad 163 in the Bay of Tuscany, this one burning with a violent blast of air; and it is recorded that a great quantity of fish were floating round it, and that people who ate of them immediately expired. So also the Monkey Islands are said to have risen in the bay of Campania, and later one among them, Mount Epopos, is said to have suddenly shot up a great flame and then to have been levelled with the surface of the plain. In the same plain also a town was sucked down into the depths, and another earthquake caused a swamp to emerge, and another overturned mountains and threw up the island of Procida.

Obviously, with a little research, I was able to date the items with Olympiad and consular dating (the footnote dating in translations is not always correct, I found, also.)

But that last bit about Mount Epopos made me wonder. I did a quick check and found the following:

The peak is now Monte Epomeo and Pliny refers to it as Mount Epopos.

my notes said:
Mount Epomeo (Italian: Monte Epomeo) is the highest mountain on the volcanic island of Ischia, in the Gulf of Naples, Italy. Epomeo is believed to be a volcanic horst, reaching a height of 789 metres (2,589 ft). (A horst is the raised fault block bounded by normal faults. A horst is formed from extension of the Earth's crust. The raised block is a portion of the crust that generally remains stationary or is uplifted while the land has dropped on either side.

Strabo records that Timaeus quite clearly says that Mount Epopos disaster occurred not too long before his own time. (Possibly 474-470 BC, see below.)

(Timaeus of Tauromenium (350–260 BC) wrote the authoritative work on the Greeks in the Western Mediterranean and was important through his research into chronology and his influence on Roman historiography. Like almost all the Hellenistic historians, however, his work survives only in fragments. For Timaeus, much of our evidence is preserved in the polemical context of Polybius' Book 12.) Also, in Strabo.

Scientific discussion:

Mount Epomeo is interpreted as an entire raised block (volcanic horst). The uplift is dated between 33000 and 28000 years ago, and was possibly due to the intrusion of magma at shallow depth. The pressure increase caused the formation of fractures representing the sliding planes along which the block was raised. The uplifting block was tilted to the south as a result of a differential movement, and, as a consequence, the northern side was raised more than the southern side. On the northern side there are several fractures feeding the thermal springs of Casamicciola and La Rita and a lineament of fumaroles along a fracture cutting Monte Cito. The southern part of Epomeo was raised less and was more affected by a sequence of landslide and mudflows occurring along the inclined surface of the block.

The natural history of Ischia island has been characterized, since long time, by natural catastrophes caused by eruptions and earthquakes. A pre-historical site of iron-age is buried under the ashes of an eruption occurred in the area between Ischia Porto and Casamicciola. The first greek colony of southern Italy (called Pithecusa) was settled in Ischia in the VIII century BC. The greek colonists arrived around 770 BC from Eubea and settled on the Promontory of Mount Vico at the north-western side of the island. Earthquakes and eruptions compelled the colonists to leave the island and settle on the coast of Campania where they founded the colony of Cuma which caused the economic decline of the island. Around 600 BC, the eruption of Monte Rotaro caused the final decline of the colony in Ischia. In 476 BC the island is occupied by the Syracusans, which were driven off the island by a new eruption occurred between 474 and 470 BC. This eruption possibly occured where now is sited the Porto d'Ischia. After some time the island was occupied again by colonists coming from Naples (possibly the same that left the island before).

Volcanic activity occurred also during roman time. There are evidences of an eruption occurred in 91 BC and another one during the emperorship of Augustus who gave back the island to the neapolitans and got in change Capri! There are other evidences of eruptions under the emperors Titus, Antoninus and Diocletian.

The last eruption occurred in 1302 when a vent opened in the area of Flaiano and emitted a lava flow which lasted for two months. The lava flow is between 500 and 100 m wide and is presently called Arso (once it was called "Le Cremate"). It reached the beach between Porto d'Ischia and Ischia Ponte and destroyed the old village of Geronda. The eruption caused much panic and compelled the escape of many people to the nearby islands and continental coast. Since then, the only volcanic activity are the fumarolic emissions all over the island.

Numerous destructive earthquakes occurred on the Island. In the last period we recall those of 1881 and 1883. The quake of 1881 was felt for 7 seconds and had an higher intensity in the territory of Casamicciola. There were 129 casualties (124 in Casamicciola and 5 in Lacco Ameno). The wounded were 100 in Casamicciola. 290 buildings were destroyed in Casamicciola and 159 were damaged. In Lacco Ameno there was the destruction of 194 buildings (among these the church of S.Giuseppe al Fango). Also most of the buildings of Forio were damaged.

The earthquake of 28 July 1883 was felt for 16 seconds and was localized in Casamicciola where there were 1784 casualties over 4300 inhabitants. 448 people were wounded. Of the 672 buildings of the village, 572 collapsed and 134 were damaged. In Lacco Ameno there were 146 dead and 93 wounded over 1800 inhabitants. 269 buildings collapsed and 102 were damaged out of 389. The church of Santa maria del Rosario was destroyed. In Forio there were 345 casualties and 190 wounded , out of 6800 inhabitants.1344 buildings were destroyed and 977 damaged out of a total 2713. The church of S. Sebastiano also was destroyed. At Serrara-Fontana there were 28 dead and 21 wounded . At Barano there were 10 dead and 10 wounded. At Ischia the quake was barely felt and a few buildings were damaged. The quake caused a total of 2313 casualties.
http://vulcan.fis.uniroma3.it/ischia/ischia_engtext.html

I then found an extract from Strabo:
(Strabo 5.4.9 (Radt). And Timaeus says, concerning Pithecusae, that many marvelous stories are told by the ancients, and that a little before his own time the crest of Epomea in the middle of the island, shaken by an earthquake, shot forth fire, and pushed the land between itself and the coast completely into the sea. Having been burnt to ashes and thrown high into the air, it fell upon the island again like a whirlwind, and the sea receded three stades but, having done so, after a short time turned back and submerged the island under its reverse current, thus extinguishing the fire there. Those on the mainland fled from the shore into Campania on account of the noise.

And so, I was able to get entry 1425 directly from Strabo AND include Pliny's notes, and 1426 was Pliny derived from Timaeus via Strabo.

What was cool was being able to get an approximate date for this eruption/earthquake/tsunami.

I have been trying to get access to the database website the last couple of hours but was repeatedly confronted with the following message:

We're sorry, but something went wrong.

I can't think of anything going wrong at my side, so I was wondering what might be going on: some maintenance, perhaps?

I got access yesterday evening without any trouble, and now this. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom