Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Mikel said:
Hi Mandatory Intellectomy,
Yeap. I think solution is 5% not 10%, my mistake but see below how I made it:

I will show You how I calculated it:
I made it myself so: 10g of crystalline Iodine + 20 g KI + 200ml of distilled water.

10g = 200ml //:10
1000mg=20ml //:20
50mg = 1ml

Any comments?

Two things:

1. You have about 230 ml of solution, not 200, as you dissolved the 10g Iodine + 20g KI in the 200ml. So it's something like 4.35%, but that's close enough to 5.

2. "10g = 200ml" is only counting the elemental Iodine and not the KI. I don't remember the calculation for Iodine amount in KI, but I remember 5% solution has 130mg/ml (total Iodine content), so your 4.35% would be about 113mg/ml, so still quite a bit more than 50.

If you're taking 1ml, then based on how you made the solution, you'd be getting about 113 mg of total Iodine in that dose.
That's quite a bit more than most people have been taking, but if you have no detox symptoms (like me), then that should be no problem. I've gone up to 1000mg without any symptoms.

For those taking chlorella you may want to check the source of your product. The main producers are in Taiwan, China, Japan and South Korea.
The first three are grown in open air pools and with Fukishima in mind you may want to be careful. The South Koreans grow Chlorella Vulgaris in indoor tanks which does have less toxin binding qualities but is more easily digested and is what I've gone with.

If anyones interested the article below gives a good run down of the different sources, it is somewhat promotional for the authors product and does dismiss Fukishima radiation as an issue though. Personally I'm not willing to risk it but I may be being pedantic.

http://www.naturalnews.com/039145_chlorella_heavy_metals_lab_tests.html

I've searched the forum and could'nt find any mention of this so just thought I'd bring it up just in case

Hey all. Just a quick update. Just recently some results of sorts have started. I haven't had any detox reactions so far. My dosage has been 4 drops of 5% once a day for a week then a couple days off for three weeks, and this last week was 5 drops once a day. Over the last few days I have been having very vivid dreams, it seems as if my bladder is the size of the pea (that is from bromide removal, correct?), and out of the blue my willpower has strengthened - as suggested in a recent C's session - though I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg. My playing (trumpet) has never been better and my passion for it is returning quite strongly...I feel like a teenager again (mainly in this regard, but in other ways as well).

Kris

I'd like to update too.
My desire to smoke is coming back slowly the past couple of days. Also I have noticed it is easier to observe myself. I've discovered a certain flavour of my words if I say something totally mechanical and/or silly. Like they don't sound right coming out of my mouth. It's making it easier to stop myself from making unnecessary comments.
Particularly when writing on social media, it's like I can taste the thoughts before I write them down and I can discern much better when something is unnecessary. I've found it saves energy which is really helpful.

Mandatory Intellectomy said:
Mikel said:
Hi Mandatory Intellectomy,
Yeap. I think solution is 5% not 10%, my mistake but see below how I made it:

I will show You how I calculated it:
I made it myself so: 10g of crystalline Iodine + 20 g KI + 200ml of distilled water.

10g = 200ml //:10
1000mg=20ml //:20
50mg = 1ml

Any comments?

Two things:

1. You have about 230 ml of solution, not 200, as you dissolved the 10g Iodine + 20g KI in the 200ml. So it's something like 4.35%, but that's close enough to 5.

2. "10g = 200ml" is only counting the elemental Iodine and not the KI. I don't remember the calculation for Iodine amount in KI, but I remember 5% solution has 130mg/ml (total Iodine content), so your 4.35% would be about 113mg/ml, so still quite a bit more than 50.

If you're taking 1ml, then based on how you made the solution, you'd be getting about 113 mg of total Iodine in that dose.
That's quite a bit more than most people have been taking, but if you have no detox symptoms (like me), then that should be no problem. I've gone up to 1000mg without any symptoms.

Hey Mikel,

I agree with MI in that you need to calculate your percentage against the total weight of solution with all of its constituents. And to calculate the amount of Iodine coming from KI you take 76% of the amount (weight) of KI. We are assuming that 1 drop is approximately 50mg (a metric drop) of solution which is much less than 1ml like you have stated here.

50mg = 1ml

So just keep in mind 1 drop from a dropper is assumed to be around 50mg of solution. Because you have made a 4.35% solution. The 50mg drop contains 4.35% of Iodine crystals which translates to 2.18mg (50mg x 0.0435 = 2.18mg). You have twice the amount of KI than that of the Iodine crystals. So you also have 4.36mg of KI which contributes 3.31mg of Iodine (76% of KI weight is Iodine or 4.36mg x 0.76 = 3.31mg). In total each drop of your solution will be about 5.50mg of Iodine.

lainey said:
I've discovered a certain flavour of my words if I say something totally mechanical and/or silly. Like they don't sound right coming out of my mouth. It's making it easier to stop myself from making unnecessary comments.
Particularly when writing on social media, it's like I can taste the thoughts before I write them down and I can discern much better when something is unnecessary. I've found it saves energy which is really helpful.

I've lived with this all my life and sometimes it drives me nuts. At the same time I see how others would benefit quite a lot from this sensitivity.

Last week i used only 2.7mg lugol's iodine per day with co-factors, and daily nasal cleaning with neti pot to clear out excess mucus caused by detoxing (i've recently started having flu like detox symptoms). That seemed to help and now i'm having super energetic feeling at the moment: I'm feeling very positive and determined, full of energy with no detox symptoms. I've had this same feeling few times during the protocol, but once the iodine dosing goes too high, the detox symptoms start to take over. So i'm still testing and adjusting to find the optimal dosage for me, which seems to be relatively low, compared to what some others are taking here.

quick iodine supplimentation questions

Been reading through the main thread to get caught up and educated before I begin delving into it. Have Brownstein's book awaiting with some lugols. I have bought a bunch of the supplements so far but still lacking a few.
I got them all from the nature's truth brand since they seemed to have the most variety I was looking for and had a nice bogo deal going on. Does this seem to be a decent brand for starters? Have a question about a few of them.

1. Magnesium as mag oxide. Heard there are better options but will this be fine?
2. Flush free niacin is as inositol hexanicontinate. It is recommended as niacinamide in the thread so far.(at around the 50th page atm) would this be ok to work with?
3. Vit C is 1000mgplus bioflavonoids and wild rose hips. would this seem ok as well?

Thanks for any quick responses. trying to limit the noise on the main thread. thanks

Re: quick iodine supplimentation questions

Magnesium oxide is not a good choice. It has very low bioavailability (something like 4% only). Better to use a chelated magnesium, such as glycinate or orotate, which has around 30% bioavailability. Magnesium citrate is also a pretty good option and not expensive.

Lilou said:
Magnesium oxide is not a good choice. It has very low bioavailability (something like 4% only). Better to use a chelated magnesium, such as glycinate or orotate, which has around 30% bioavailability. Magnesium citrate is also a pretty good option and not expensive.

You can also try magnesium malate.
ok on the niacinamide.
Vit c is fine up to tolerance, which is usually felt as gurgling in the stomach or diarrhea. Try 1gram and then add more to see how much you need.

I avoid magneisum oxide since it's already oxidized and not as useful to the body as magnesium citrate or glycinate. We get magnesium glycinate in powder form since the raw powder is more economical, plus it's easier to digest and less likely to send you to the bathroom.

thanks for the quick supplies. Will try and get out some more tomorrow on a day off to upgrade to a better magnesium. As for the niacin, I wonder if there was a misunderstanding when you responded Joe. The niacin I bought was Flush free niacin as inositol hexanicontinate, not niacinamide. Not sure what the difference between the 2 are or if it was recommended as a sub option. Just want to make sure we were on the same page with the response.

Bobby said:
thanks for the quick supplies. Will try and get out some more tomorrow on a day off to upgrade to a better magnesium. As for the niacin, I wonder if there was a misunderstanding when you responded Joe. The niacin I bought was Flush free niacin as inositol hexanicontinate, not niacinamide. Not sure what the difference between the 2 are or if it was recommended as a sub option. Just want to make sure we were on the same page with the response.

Hi Bobby, sorry, my bad. Seems that no flush niacin works just as well as the normal stuff, although you might have to take a bit more. Just follow the suggested dose on the bottle if taking as part of the overall protocol. Haven't tried nature's truth, but looks like a decent brand.

I've taken 68,4 mg without detox reactions. So far I don't see noticeable changes that I can report. I'll continue with the protocol and see how things progress from now on.

Hi all.
It has been really interesting to follow this thread, great to read all the experiences you share. Thought I would share my experiences with the iodine protocol.
For the first 3 weeks I had only mild reactions. Mainly the pain I have had for a long time in my right shoulder went away.
During week 4 I started getting some reaction in my left arm, mild pain.
During week 5 this pain increased daily and gradually made it harder to sleep at night, where the symptoms would get worse.
I finally did one day with 18 drops, which again increased the symptoms.
From there on I lowered the dose gradually, and now I have paused the intake of iodine, as I believe I must be experiencing detox symptoms.
Now I focus on salt water intake as well as C vitamine and multi-mineral tablets and fish oil.

As another forum member noticed, it is as if my left arm has become a dumping site for the detoxed stuff. Currently I have a hard time sleeping at night, so I guess I did a too agressive detox.

Would you recommend DMSA in pill form or as a cream applied externally?

Intake per week:
4 drops (25 mg)
6 drops (37.5 mg)
8 drops (50 mg)
10 drops (62.5 mg)
12 drops (75 mg)

Back
Top Bottom