Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Thank you Laura.
I am whole heartily believe your good judgement, and now, I 'm relief to know that I don't need to worry about anyone since you are here to watch over us for a safe course.

Kay Kim said:
Thank you Laura.
I am whole heartily believe your good judgement, and now, I 'm relief to know that I don't need to worry about anyone since you are here to watch over us for a safe course.

Just read the book! Brownstein talks about exactly what you described!

Laura, OK, some day I will read Brownstein's book.
But right now I have to read all of your books and have to go over all the transcripts again. It will take some times. I like to do what is interest me most, I never do for just polite for others that is including my children and I don't want to lie to you or anybody nowadays. Love you and Thank You.

I think plain ascorbic acid is better, reserving liposomal for special cases. Ascorbic acid doesn't interfere with your stomach acidity and curiously, some people feel more energetic and better with it

Thanks Gaby that helps alot I wanted to take a break from making the liposomal for awhile. Btw its a superhuman effort that you manage a 24 hour shift, that must be really rough on the body.

I've not yet had any gastrointestinal problems after taking the higher doses

Thanks Timótheos that gives me a better idea of whether it'l be safe to switch over to Lugols in the future.

Kay Kim said:
Laura, OK, some day I will read Brownstein's book.
But right now I have to read all of your books and have to go over all the transcripts again. It will take some times. I like to do what is interest me most, I never do for just polite for others that is including my children and I don't want to lie to you or anybody nowadays. Love you and Thank You.

I think I would put Brownsteins at the top of the list otherwise you may not have the life force to grok anything else.

Thank you Laura!!!
Your persistent suggestion appears this Brownstein's book is very important to read. So I decide to get it. But I don't know which one to buy. Could you help me to pick?

Amazon list

1, Iodine why you need it, why you can't live without it.
2, The iodine crisis: What you don't know about iodine can wreck your life.
3, Overcoming Thyroid Disorders.
4, Iodine- Bringing Back the Universal Medicine.
5, Drugs that don't work and natural therapies that do.
6, Breast cancer and iodine: How to prevent and How to survive breast cancer.
7, The miracle of natural hormones overcoming arthritis.
8, The guide to healthy Eating.

Laura said:
This book finally arrived today (three weeks for delivery!)

Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
by David Brownstein

Much more comprehensive than "The Iodine Crisis" And a must read.

Kay Kim,

It should be this one.

I think I spoke too soon! Having bromide detox symptoms of fatigue, dark thoughts, emotional instability, feeling really weak, depression and a giant headache today. It has been an awful day! I even fell asleep mid afternoon. Will Benadryl help at all? I know it can help herx reactions, but not quite sure if it's the same.

Lilyalic said:
I think I spoke too soon! Having bromide detox symptoms of fatigue, dark thoughts, emotional instability, feeling really weak, depression and a giant headache today. It has been an awful day! I even fell asleep mid afternoon. Will Benadryl help at all? I know it can help herx reactions, but not quite sure if it's the same.

Big glass of salt water and the co-factors are very important. 1000 mg of niacinamide and 200 mg of riboflavin and 200 mcg of selenium. Plus, Vitamin C

Laura said:
Lilyalic said:

Big glass of salt water and the co-factors are very important. 1000 mg of niacinamide and 200 mg of riboflavin and 200 mcg of selenium. Plus, Vitamin C

Thank you, Laura- I'm taking more salt water than usual today. Think all the B vits and selenium have kicked this detox off! I have all the supplements now, VERY powerful!

Bear said:
Laura said:
This book finally arrived today (three weeks for delivery!)

Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
by David Brownstein

Much more comprehensive than "The Iodine Crisis" And a must read.

Kay Kim,

It should be this one.

Thanks for your help Bear.

I have ordered a bottle of J Crow %5 Lugol but have started using the Nascent Iodine that I have until it arrives. Take about 2mg of it a day and I think I might be already experiencing some detox symptoms! Will also order the support supplements. From my understanding the nascent iodine is not superior to Lugol or regular iodine but there's nothing inherently bad about it like Colloidal gold or something, right?

For children, this is the formula I'm using for now. This is taken from a blog post by David Brownstein in 2011. The formula (0.08mg I/pound) is probably on the low end, and I wouldn't be surprised if a better level is 5 times higher.

_http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html
4. Do children need iodine?
A: Yes, children need iodine just as adults need it. However, children need lower doses. They need to be dosed down for their size. A good rule of thumb for children is 0.08mg I/pound. I am not suggesting that anyone supplement a child without seeking care from their health care provider (that also holds for adults).

I was wondering, if iodine or Lugol could be applied intravenously, if you happen to have someone (or yourself) being very sick and unable to swallow or absorb the iodine. Apparently it is quite safe:

Dr. David Derry said, “Lugol's solution is an iodine-in-water solution used by the medical profession for 200 years. One drop (6.5 mg per drop) of Lugol's daily in water, orange juice or milk will gradually eliminate the first phase of the cancer development namely fibrocystic disease of the breast so no new cancers can start. It also will kill abnormal cells floating around in the body at remote sites from the original cancer. Of course this approach appears to work for prostate cancer as prostate cancer is similar to breast cancer in many respects. Indeed, it likely will help with most cancers. Also higher doses of iodine are required for inflammatory breast cancer. As well we know that large doses of intravenous iodine are harmless which makes one wonder what effect this would have on cancer growth.

The website can be found here.

I didn't know the website at all, so I had a bit of a brows. It seems that it is run by a Walter Last, who has published a number of books about health and spirituality. His website shows this bio of his:

Walter Last combines the training and work experience of Research Chemist, Biochemist and Toxicologist with that of Pacticing Nutritionist and Natural Therapist.

He was born and grew up in Germany and has held positions in medical institutions at the Universities of Greifswald, Cologne and Munich, working in research and toxicological investigations. He was Chief Forensic Chemist at Cologne and worked at Bio-Science Laboratories in Los Angeles.

In 1970 he settled in New Zealand and dissatisfied with drug-based medicine practiced as a Natural Therapist. He has lived in Queensland since 1981 and has investigated and experimented with a wide range of natural therapies to improve the effectiveness of natural medicine in treating serious and medically incurable diseases.

So at least he seems to have some credentials ...

He mentioned the work of Dr. David Derry. Having heard neither of this guy, that's what I found out about him:

June 2002 -- On June 11, 2002, the College of Physicians & Surgeons of British Columbia removed the medical license of Dr. David Derry, a popular physician well-known for his success with thyroid patients.

The Victoria, British Columbia doctor has been practicing for 30 years, helping thyroid patients mainly via prescribing desiccated thyroid at doses he determined to be appropriate for relief of symptoms in each patient. His ability to help patients with hypothyroidism after other doctors had failed has earned him an international reputation, and patients traveled from all over North America to see him, and patients and doctors from various countries consulted him for thyroid treatment advice.

[...]

According to Dr. Derry, "When the TSH test [the test that most doctors use to diagnose hypothyroidism] was introduced in 1975, no comparisons were done with the old method of following clinical signs and symptoms. The TSH test does not have evidence-based medicine behind it. The endocrinologists and thyroidologists just had the general opinion that this was the way to go--no proof, no studies, nothing. This has led to a decrease in the dosage given to every low thyroid person to one-third of the known and proven clinically effective dose."

In July 2001, an endocrinologist whose patient had left him and gotten better on Dr. Derry's treatment complained to the College about Dr. Derry. The patient complained about the endocrinologist, but the College investigated only the complaint against Dr. Derry.

The College gave Dr. Derry one week's notice to prepare for an October 31, 2001 hearing. In the week prior to the hearing, the College received numerous letters supporting Dr. Derry's treatment. About 50 supporters came to attend the hearing, but the College would not admit them, or talk to the patients whose medical records they were examining. The College Executive Committee rejected the evidence that Dr. Derry presented supporting his treatment protocol, and on November 2, 2001, they removed his thyroid prescribing privileges.

"Desiccated thyroid was used by all clinicians for the first eighty years of thyroid treatment...it is cheap, effective, and well standardized."
-- David Derry, MD

Dr. Derry sought to have the ban lifted at a December 18, 2001 Supreme Court hearing. The lawyer for the College, David Martin, assured the judge at the hearing that early the next year, the College would hold an inquiry into Dr. Derry's approach to treating hypothyroidism. He also promised that the College would allow Dr. Derry to call expert witnesses to defend his approach. In part because of this promise, the court declined to lift the temporary ban. This inquiry has not taken place, however.

In addition, though Dr. Derry presented 18 volumes of material in support of his position, the College failed to present even a single medical study or expert to counteract this evidence. The 18 volumes included classic medical literature from all over the world showing that Dr. Derry's treatment is backed by medical expertise, and that it works.

"Desiccated thyroid was used by all clinicians for the first eighty years of thyroid treatment," says Dr. Derry. "It is cheap, effective, and well standardized. Old treatments that are replaced by new approaches should have clinical studies to prove that the new methods are better."

Instead of investigating Dr. Derry's treatment protocol, the College went through medical files of Dr. Derry's patients, suggested correlations between his treatment and the deaths of two patients not related to thyroid medication, and suspended his medical license on June 11, 2002. His lawyer, Kevin Doyle, has filed an appeal, which is scheduled to be heard in Supreme Court in Victoria on June 24 and 25. 2002.

Sounds like another alternative medical practitioner got into the crosshairs of the medical mafia and bit the dust ... but apparently he got his medical license reinstated at a certain point in time, because I read a recent interview, which is very interesting to read in it's entirety. I just want to quote one passage about TSH - his claim is that it's use is overrated and not based on scientific evidence, but rather by medical consensus:

The TSH had a ring of scientific rigor for those who have a smattering of knowledge about thyroid metabolism. It was part of the pituitary feed back mechanism for monitoring the output of the thyroid gland. There is no doubt that it does accomplish this job. But unfortunately the TSH value has no clinical correlation except at absolute extremes with the clinical signs or symptoms of the patient. The reasons for this are complex and I only want to discuss one aspect but there are other important factors.

To start with the thyroid metabolism is controlled locally in the tissue by each organ. That is the brain has one mechanism for controlling the amount of thyroid available to the brain but it is different from other tissues such as the liver. There are many mechanisms by which each tissue controls the amount of thyroid hormone which gets into the tissues. But to discuss one: there is an enzyme in the tissue which deiodinates (takes one iodine off the thyroxine T4) and makes T3 or triiodothyronine. These enzymes are called deiodinases. Every tissue has different types of deiodinases. To just give you one example: If you starve animals and study the deiodinases in the brain and liver you find that the activity in of the brain deiodinases go up by 10 times while at the same time the liver deiodinases go down--not up. This mechanism is obviously meant to preserve the functioning of the brain under starvation conditions and not metabolize too much thyroid hormone in the liver. Therefore the control of thyroid metabolism is in every individual tissue. The problem with this is-- if a tissue needs more (such as the brain with depression) there is no way for the brain to signal the thyroid that it needs more sent up to it. The thyroid merrily goes on putting out the same amount of thyroid hormone. So the patient can have symptoms related to low thyroid in the brain (for example) but the thyroid doesn't do anything about it. But if you give thyroid hormones in an adequate dose the brain symptoms will disappear. Meanwhile the other tissues and organs adapt to the increased circulating hormones that you have used to fix the brain with. The adaptation of the tissues to different levels of circulating hormones has been shown in the literature.

The whole interview can be read here.

So both doctors seem to be very knowledgable, and based on their work and expertise I am inclined to take their word at face value, given that there is hardly any mention in the medical literature. The only reference I found dates back to 1952 (sic!):

Cardiologia 1952;21:757–762 (DOI:10.1159/000165255)
Further Experiences with Intravenous Iodine Therapy in Thyrotoxic Crisis with Special Reference to the Cardiac Type of Case
Grewin K.E. · von Reis G. · Wijnbladh H.

I wasn't able to get the article (not even the abstract), as my library access is restricted back to 1998. I wasn't even able to buy the article, as this is restricted to the US - go figure! But if anyone in the states is able to buy it, I would be happy to refund the money - generally they cost around 30-50 USD. The link to the article is here. If you are willing to do that give me a PM and we'll sort things out. If no-one is able to get it, I might be able to do it via the hospital interlibrary service, but this will likely take 6 months from now ...

Another interesting article - somewhat peripheral to this thread, but nonetheless very interesting, talks about TSH, and what alternative you have to diagnose subclinical hypothyroidism in people whose TSH test is normal, but still have clinical symptoms consistent with hypothyroidsm:

Dr. Derry evidently used a thyroid test subtler in nature than is common in the medical profession. I continually get people who feel they may have an under-active thyroid, but have tested okay by the conventional medical thyroid test. Unfortunately, the conventional thyroid test appears to reveal only serious problems, leading inevitably to the prescription for synthetic iodine, for life. The test for detecting subtle thyroid malfunction involves placing a thermometer under your arm first thing in the morning, without getting up or moving about much. Remain quiet and still for 15 minutes. 97.6 degrees Fahrenheit [35.9 deg C] or lower, consistently for 5 days indicates an under-active thyroid.

The article is called IODINE MADNESS and - although the title is a bit misplaced, in my opinion - well worth a read too.

So in summary: I think that intravenous Lugol seems a safe alternative for people to sick to swallow/ absorb oral Lugol. I will try that out on myself when I have access to the required "hardware" and will report back (not until the end of January) - if I survive to tell the tale!
;)

Hi,

Thank you for everybody's input.

I also tried the iodine and I feel better - my joints are less tender, also my memory seems improved.
What I added was a teaspoonful of Chlorella to protect the kidneys and better discard of heavy metals (inspired by dr Klinghardt). As soon as I got the Cilantro tincture, I will add that too.

I thought to mention some videos of dr Brownstein about iodine and this book Iodine-why do you need it...
So for those who don't have the book, these videos could come handy:

Dr Brownstein’s presentation on iodine, and his books:
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj-dwWsm8D0 nr.1
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ_Ls6lJBQU nr.2
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0gFs1FevYQ nr.3
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzng7ddZEGs nr. 4
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ZvmuCwk2o nr. 5

May you all benefit!

Back
Top Bottom