Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Hi Laura, yes I've heard and read some about it. Just a few things: why "prescription only-probiotics"? What is that? We don't have it here in Sweden as far as I'm concerned. And "low-volume retention enema"? What does it mean? And my Safari can't open the overview link...

I use Innate Response probiotics. Just counting number of bacteria it is easy to come up to 1 trillion, but I don't know which ones or if it is possible to just open the capsules and pour them in the water. Seems like it, but I have to check it out.

I've done a couple of CDSAs at Genova Diagnostics 10 years ago but right now it is to much money...

http://www.innateresponse.com/category-s/1.htm

Thanks for the info

Hi Hiat: Thanks for the link, right now it's just to much and as I said in my first post, I am so fed up with trying different methods, therapies and supplements etc, I still do but as of now I need something more than just guessing. There are so many different things out there, and time is not on my side if you know what I mean, but I will look in to it.

Oh, by the way. From time to time my responses may take a few days, depending on how I feel.

Martin

worldbridger said:
Hi Laura, yes I've heard and read some about it. Just a few things: why "prescription only-probiotics"? What is that? We don't have it here in Sweden as far as I'm concerned. And "low-volume retention enema"? What does it mean? And my Safari can't open the overview link...

I just used a couple capsules from each of three kinds we had in the fridge. Worked for me!

worldbridger said:
I've done a couple of CDSAs at Genova Diagnostics 10 years ago but right now it is to much money...

What is a CDSA? A coffee enema? You can't do it yourself? Heck, I just used the coffee machine in the kitchen, let it cool, and in the bag it went. Presto.

:) Sorry Laura for the acronym! Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis...they check a lot of stuff, but cost 3-400 euros. No option right now.

Ok, a few capsules. With Innate you can reach 1 trillion, but it will cost you 50 euros a pop so to speak. Innate seem to have a different philosophy when it comes to supplements, they count potency instead of mg, seems they have some science behind. I sent them a question about using their probiotics to do enemas.

Enemas: I've done it before, so I know how to do it. I've even tried herbs and other things, even tea tree oil, but I don't recommend it, my large intestine went on fire...

Vince Black said:
I wanted to report a possible detox symptom that a few people have been experiencing. About 2 weeks ago, before I started my iodine protocol, I was using a drop of Lugol's on a finger wart (I heard it could help get rid of it). After about 4-5 days of this, I began to have light pains in my neck/salivary glands with slight enlargement on one side and increased sinus pressure. Realizing that it could possibly be from the iodine entering through the skin, I stopped because I wasn't taking selenium or chlorella at the time (only salt water and B vitamins). This has continued since I started the full iodine protocol last Saturday (using full cofactors, 4 drops of Lugol's 5%). The slight pain has lessened, but the glands are still mildly enlarged and I feel some pressure in my ears/sinuses. I'm not experiencing any dry mouth with this; quite the opposite in fact. I seem to be salivating more than usual. This is getting extremely annoying and of course I'm thinking about it 24/7 which probably makes it worse.

If these are detox symptoms, maybe you could take it easy with the iodine. You could try going back to just one drop, this time on the back heel of your foot, and see how that goes for a couple weeks.

Boy oh boy, just had a coffee enema & am feeling so much better. I have had pretty bad brain fog over the last couple of weeks & this has helped tremendously. Have been battling candida/sibo & leaky gut. My most recent blood test revealed that I am lacking in vitamin D, am anemic & have very low white blood cell count. Have been referred to a gastroenterologist as my naturopath thinks I have have IBD. Hopefully the coffee enemas will help turn things around.

Just a short update on how it’s going with the iodine protocol. I’ve been taking it regularly since November of last year. I am taking 3-4 drops of 5% Lugol's every couple of days with a day or two break in between. I’ve upped it to 5 drops a few times with no problems. Aside from the cofactors, I’ve been taking a drop of DMSO in water 1-2 times a week and coffee enemas 1-2 times per week. The coffee enemas have been a life saver. Some articles from SOTT:

Big Pharma does not want you to know the health benefits of coffee enema therapy
Use coffee enemas for detoxification
Detoxing protocols: Coffee enema
Glutathione recycling for autoimmune disease

Due to menopausal hormone fluctuations, I have experienced a lot of hair loss. The last time I had my hair cut, about 9 months ago, my hair dresser pointed out some really thins spots on my head, it was worse on the right side. I went yesterday for a haircut and she was amazed at the new hairs growing all over my head. Her jaw was open. It was about 6 months worth of new growth all over.

When I was 15 years old, I developed white hairs in my left eyebrow and the white grew to cover half my eyebrow. It’s been that way ever since. When I checked yesterday, there are some darker hairs right in the middle of the white patch. Something not seen before! :) My eyebrows are bushier on the whole, too. The iodine treatment seems to have really balanced my hormones. Menopausal symptoms are much better, too.

I think I’ve experienced a a few rounds of die off from critters. I’ve had aches and pains in various places, flu-like symptoms off and on. Overall, I feel much better than I did last November. :cool2:

worldbridger said:
:) Sorry Laura for the acronym! Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis...they check a lot of stuff, but cost 3-400 euros. No option right now.

Ok, a few capsules. With Innate you can reach 1 trillion, but it will cost you 50 euros a pop so to speak. Innate seem to have a different philosophy when it comes to supplements, they count potency instead of mg, seems they have some science behind. I sent them a question about using their probiotics to do enemas.

Enemas: I've done it before, so I know how to do it. I've even tried herbs and other things, even tea tree oil, but I don't recommend it, my large intestine went on fire...

In case you haven't read them, there are a couple of books that could help when you are trying to fight such a hard-to-detect problem. One is When the Body Says No, by Gabor Maté (and here is a thread with videos by the author and a discussion about the book), and the other Love, Medicine and Miracles, by Dr. Siegel. From your account, it sounds like you have been under A LOT of stress, and stress can cause inflammation and autoinmune reactions. Even when there is a physical component, a heavy medical history, etc., the stress factor (and/or any unresolved emotional traumas) can play a big role. So, maybe this can help.

Menrva said:
Just a short update on how it’s going with the iodine protocol. I’ve been taking it regularly since November of last year. I am taking 3-4 drops of 5% Lugol's every couple of days with a day or two break in between. I’ve upped it to 5 drops a few times with no problems. Aside from the cofactors, I’ve been taking a drop of DMSO in water 1-2 times a week and coffee enemas 1-2 times per week. The coffee enemas have been a life saver. Some articles from SOTT:

Big Pharma does not want you to know the health benefits of coffee enema therapy
Use coffee enemas for detoxification
Detoxing protocols: Coffee enema
Glutathione recycling for autoimmune disease

Due to menopausal hormone fluctuations, I have experienced a lot of hair loss. The last time I had my hair cut, about 9 months ago, my hair dresser pointed out some really thins spots on my head, it was worse on the right side. I went yesterday for a haircut and she was amazed at the new hairs growing all over my head. Her jaw was open. It was about 6 months worth of new growth all over.

When I was 15 years old, I developed white hairs in my left eyebrow and the white grew to cover half my eyebrow. It’s been that way ever since. When I checked yesterday, there are some darker hairs right in the middle of the white patch. Something not seen before! :) My eyebrows are bushier on the whole, too. The iodine treatment seems to have really balanced my hormones. Menopausal symptoms are much better, too.

I think I’ve experienced a a few rounds of die off from critters. I’ve had aches and pains in various places, flu-like symptoms off and on. Overall, I feel much better than I did last November. :cool2:

Great to hear your progress with the protocol. Was your stylist curious about why the change?

I have been on iodine for half a year so I think it is good time for a little summary of my experience.

I have started my protocol with one month of regular supplementation of vitamin c, magnesium, milk thistle and b complex (earlier I took them only when I felt the need).
In the second month I have added a little salted water in the morning to see how my body would react. There was one reaction. After 3 days I observed that white coating on the both sides of my tongue disappeared (according to Chinese traditional medicine these are zones reflecting liver and gallbladder so I am not sure if it was thanks to salt, maybe rather a month of milk thistle supplementation).

After two months I introduced iodine (lugol 5%) along with cofactors (b2, b3, selenium on the iodine days). At first I decided to test my reaction so I put one drop of lugol on the skin. The liquid was absorbed after 3 hours. The only negative reaction of my body was slight dizziness almost immediately after application. I decided to do the same test next day and the reaction was light headache. The positive effect was very good sleep during both nights. Then I took a weekly break to observe any possible symptoms. There were none so I started with one drop of lugol diluted in water on alternative days (except weekends and occasional breaks when traveling). On the first day I had light headache, a little runny nose and a lot of energy during first few hours. Later all symptoms receded. On the second day I also had weak headache and a weird feeling of being extremely hot for about 5 minutes. On the other days, mainly there were no reactions at all but sometimes some negative symptoms were present. These were interchangeably: light headache (a few times more severe but then I took second glass of salted water and it helped after just half an hour or so), a bit of running nose, slight sore throat and light dizziness. One positive symptom that I observed was better sleep at night after iodine intake(but not at all nights).

There was also one interesting reaction and very surprising for me. I was more cold sensitive on the lugol days. So when iodine day and cold shower day overlapped I had a problem to force myself to take the shower. It was strange because normally I prefer lower temperatures over higher. I am convinced this reaction was caused by iodine and fortunately it's over now.

There were also a couple of times when I observed some emotional reactions such as general bad mood, irritability and loss of concentration in situations where normally it does not happen.

I also successfully treated a small wart with just 3 topical lugol applications.

It is possible that iodine contributes to growing of new hair as Menrva writes in her post. I observed many new hairs growing on my head but they started to grow much earlier - about 8 months before iodine, when I started using homemade shampoo. I think this is the main reason in my case but it is indeed possible that iodine strengthens the effect.

worldbridger said:
And "low-volume retention enema"? What does it mean?
I take it to mean that you would not use as much liquid, perhaps a two thirds of what you would be used to, then you would hold it in (retain) for say 20 minutes or so instead of a quick flush.

Today four books arrived in the post and all of them were about the brain and its relationship with all kinds of disorders including autoimmune, lyme's infections, general decline, etc. One thing that came up in TWO of these books (haven't skimmed the other two yet) was enemas. In one, the coffee enema was recommended for sorting out the vagus nerve. In the other, probiotic retention enemas were recommended for straightening out autoimmune conditions usually caused by taking antibiotics early in life.

Here is a site that talks about this:
http://wholehealthchicago.com/2015/05/18/on-good-bacteria-enemas-and-your-health/

Which books were those out of curiosity? :)

herondancer said:
Great to hear your progress with the protocol. Was your stylist curious about why the change?

She was. I told her a had starting taking iodine for menopause hormonal symptoms and it was obviously working. She didn't inquire further, but maybe a seed was planted.

lainey said:
I had trouble with the probiotics powder from the capsule either floating on the top of the water and sticking to the sides of the bucket when the level of the water dropped or just sinking to the bottom under the line of the funnel. Do you think I just need to give it a longer stir?

Only now I saw your question, lainey. When I was doing my online research on the subject of probiotic retention enemas, I read somewhere (and for the life of me, I can't find it again!) that it is best to add your probiotics in water and leave them for about 8 hours, before doing the retention thing. I haven't done it myself yet, but maybe that makes a difference?

Alana said:
lainey said:
I had trouble with the probiotics powder from the capsule either floating on the top of the water and sticking to the sides of the bucket when the level of the water dropped or just sinking to the bottom under the line of the funnel. Do you think I just need to give it a longer stir?

Only now I saw your question, lainey. When I was doing my online research on the subject of probiotic retention enemas, I read somewhere (and for the life of me, I can't find it again!) that it is best to add your probiotics in water and leave them for about 8 hours, before doing the retention thing. I haven't done it myself yet, but maybe that makes a difference?

fwiw

http://pronutrics.net/probiotic-enema-benefits/

Here’s a step by step guide on how you can self-administer a probiotic enema, ensuring that there are no lumps in your enema mixture:

Step 1. Fill a glass or bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of water

Step 2. Depending on your need, pop open two or three probiotic capsules. Add them to the water and mix with a spoon. Crush and squash lumps against the side of the bowl or glass to form a smooth paste.

Step 3. Add two more tablespoons water, stir again until the capsules dissolves. Set aside for at least eight hours.

Step 4. Get a clean enema bag, pour in the probiotic mixture and clamp the enema firmly into place. Shake the enema bag from time to time to keep lumps from sinking on the bottom.

It’s advisable to perform a probiotic enema in the morning. Prepare the mixture the night before (this is where Step 3 comes in) and set aside overnight at room temperature.

Find a clear, disposable enema bag with no rubber smell. A disposable enema bag is thinner than the traditional ones. This feature makes it great for people with an inflamed or sensitive rectum. Don’t get intimidated, though. Any probiotics transferred to your colon are better than none. Give yourself some time to adjust to this procedure.

birk said:
Alana said:
lainey said:

fwiw

http://pronutrics.net/probiotic-enema-benefits/

Here’s a step by step guide on how you can self-administer a probiotic enema, ensuring that there are no lumps in your enema mixture:

Thank you, birk, for finding this! Reading it feels familiar, so it might have been my source of information.

Back
Top Bottom