Iodine and Potassium Iodide

drygol said:
[...] I am currently thinking about a mix of Iodine+something that would work with e-cigarette. [...]
That's probably not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. If you're not careful, you might harm or even kill yourself.

An e-cigarette is actually what's called a nebulizer, which vaporizes a liquid into a fog, that then can be inhaled into the lungs. Like smoking, breathing nebulizer vapors efficiently delivers the substances directly into the bloodstream.

You shouldn't put Lugol's solution into a nebulizer, because Lugol's solution contains potassium iodide in addition to iodine. Potassium chloride is a powerful cardiac poison that's used in lethal injections, and chlorine can replace iodine in potassium iodide to produce potassium chloride. If you ingest potassium chloride, that can stop the heart and you will die.

Aside from that, iodine is caustic. If you breathe in a strong vapor of iodine solution it's possible that you'll burn your lungs. Should you burn your lungs badly enough, you won't be able to breathe and you might die.

Yup , It is exactly as you wrote. Thanks for pointing that out.
I was rather thinking about developing this idea to make it more secure and effective.
Tiny doses of pure Iodine in small amounts of ethyl alcohol mixed with glycerine - that was my initial idea.
I didnt mean to inhale sublimating Iodine :D no worries :D
So like I asked in previous post , is this idea worth developing ? Or is it plainly blind corner ?

Quality shortcuts on products

USP – United States Pharmacopeia
BP – British Pharmacopoeia
EP – European Pharmacopoeia
JP – Japanese Pharmacopoeia
P.A – pro analysis

Several pharmacists told me that P.A grade can be even more purified than pharmacopoeia grade but can also be more expensive. Both are foreseen for human consumption.

Links
Meaning of USP, BP, EP, JP
_http://specialitychemicals.pharmaceutical-business-review.com/suppliers/spectrum-chemical/products/usp-bp-ep-jp-nf-chemicals

Other purity grades, NOT foreseen for human consumption: technical grade, synthesis reagents…
_http://www.advtechind.com/grade.htm

Konstantin said:
As i can see, if the seller " cant tell you the purity ant other details" about solution then its best to avoid it.Either they know its not for a human consumption bit they want to sell it, or they have get it from some other supplier the same way and they are just selling it. I`ll stay away from them.
That would be the best thing to do.

I took this test and get 27 score what is according to test Severe Iodine Deficiency

Foxx said:
Here's a quiz to potentially determine whether one is iodine deficient and, if so, how much:
_http://www.joannebrophy.com/assessments/thyroidiodinedef.htm
HYROID & IODINE DEFICIENCY QUIZ

Which of these apply to you?

Fibroids or cysts in uterus or ovaries
Fibrocystic breasts
Severe menstrual cramps
Heavy menstrual bleeding
Slow speech
Hoarse speech
Thick tongue
Facial swelling
Eyelid swelling
Muscle aches and pains or Fibromyalgia
Lack of stomach acid
Tremors
Depression, irritability or nervousness
Feeling of fullness in throat
Neck pain, swelling, or sore throat
Heightened susceptibility to infectious disease, especially bronchitis, pneumonia, ear infections, and/or strep throat
Chronic fatigue or lethargy
Morning fatigue improving as the day proceeds
Chronic skin infections (boils, acne, fungal infections, etc) or itchy skin
Excess mucous and/or thick mucous in the throat
Stuffy sinuses
Cold hands and feet or cold intolerance
Muscular fatigue and/or cramps
Low morning body temperature
Mental sluggishness
Do you avoid consuming fish or seafood on a regular basis?
Do you have a low libido (sluggish sex drive)?

1 to 6 points Mild Iodine Deficiency: Increase the consumption of iodine-rich foods. Use sea salt in all recipes. Get further tested for Iodine Deficiency.
See Iodine Deficiency Loading Test.

7 to 14 points Moderate Iodine Deficiency: Iodine deficiency impairs thyroid function and weakens immunity. Eat iodine-rich fish and seafood. Take kelp or iodine tablets as a source of iodine. Use sea salt with all meals and recipes. Get further tested for Iodine deficiency. See Iodine Deficiency Loading Test.

15 and above Severe Iodine Deficiency: Crab, lobster, salmon, cod, mackerel, halibut, and shrimp should be regular items in your diet. However, try to purchase seafood from areas with less pollution such as Alaskan and Icelandic waters. Add seaweed and/or kelp to your salads and soups. Purchase iodine tablets or drops from your health food store. Use sea salt with all foods. Additionally, be sure to avoid iodine antagonists. These substances, known as goitrogens, are found in certain foods, notably rapeseed, beans, peanuts, cabbage, spinach, turnips, carrots (and carrot juice), beets, broccoli, cauliflower, peaches, pears, flax, and kale. However, cooking {de}activates these iodine antagonists and, thus only raw forms of these foods must be avoided. Get further tested for Iodine deficiency. See Iodine Deficiency Loading Test.

so, I was so relieve when I read last session with this miracles recommendations from C's. Now I expect that all my problems with will be easily resolve ;). I know, maybe I expect too much.

I bought Lugol Jodoral Forte on Internet but unfortunately there is nothing on the box that says about iodine percentage.

I have only this:
Net content: 30 ml
Ingredients: Purified water, vegetable glycerin, potassium iodide
Recommendation: 1 drop of potassium iodide 1 time daily (total of 225 mcg iodine or 150%RDA), dissolved in water or juice after meal.

Today I took twice 7 drops of Lugol in 2dcl water. I must admit that I have already feeling better, but that is maybe just a placebo feeling.

Also: I'm on keto diet a month and half and still dreaming about pasta and snacks. I didn't feel real hunger for a year. Also, I don't remember when was the last time when I was really enjoying in the food. It is not like I'm gonna drop of the keto diet, because I know that this feelings are not mine. And my "friends" in me really don't like all the fat that I'm feeding my self.

Dakota said:
I bought Lugol Jodoral Forte on Internet but unfortunately there is nothing on the box that says about iodine percentage.

Your Lugol doesn't have iodine, only potassium iodide. You should buy different product.

Christine said:
I have the fibromyalgia for more than 16 years, I read practically all the articles and the comments on the iodine and the complements in vitamins but I begin to get lost there. I need help, I do not want to make of error in the protocol.
Is this correct for me?:

Christine, you need vitamin C (ascorbic acid), riboflavin, niacinamide, magnesium, selenium and N-acetylcysteine or milk thistle to protect the liver. Alpha lipoic acid also protects the liver. In addition, you'll need unrefined salt to make your salted water.

The B complex contains some of the vitamins (B2,B3) you need, but not in the correct dose.

Moderating your sugar intake and eliminating gluten are first steps to recover your health. Too much sugar and gluten are very inflammatory for your body.

It is important to have the other supplements at hand. You don't know what you will get in terms of detox reactions and if you are eating inflammatory food, it could be much more significant. Here is a good review as to why eliminating gluten is important:

_http://www.contrepoints.org/2012/05/26/84591-nutrition-et-obesite-wheat-belly-du-docteur-william-davis

DougEE said:
A week ago my wife, whose taking 3 drops of 5% Iodine, had a bout of diarrhea and also fainting. After taking some electrolytes she has perked right up and now takes the Iodine in a small glass of water plus the powdered electrolytes. The fainting is gone but the diarrhea still is intermittent; possibly something else going on in her GI.

I would cut to one drop and keep taking the cofactors. She is taking all the other things: selenium, vitamin C, etc? Even if the dose is low, there might be the possibility that it is too much for her right now?

I started taking 8 drops of Lugol's 5% 4 days ago, which amounts to 50mg of Iodine.

During the first two days, I felt very positive and with a lot of energy, but then it got a bit disturbing because it was a little too much energy and it was being difficult to sleep at night, even though I took the Lugol's very early in the morning. It seemed like a hyperactivity that was annoying. I also had headaches and mild sinus inflammation.

So I lowered the dose to 4 drops and today I'm feeling lethargy, brain fog, some irritability and anxiety, and the metallic taste in the mouth, as well as a mild burning sensation in the mouth and throat (Bromide detox symptoms).

I've been drinking salt water as recommended (it's sea salt but it isn't unrefined), and lots of water throughout the day, along with B vitamins (a B-Complex), Magnesium Malate, NAC, RALA, Vit C, Krill Oil and a good iron-free multimineral, which I had already bought.

I ordered B2, B3, a good salt and Selenium, and it should arrive next week, so I'm thinking of lowering the dose to one drop x day, or even stop it completely, until that arrives.

I bought the Ebook Iodine. Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It and started reading now. I agree that even though this protocol seems to be quite "safe", it's best to be well-informed about it. Also, I would like to be able to recommend it to my family, so, in that case, it is even more important to do all the reading I can.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and all the research done so far!

Galaxia2002 said:
I added an excel sheet for those who want to prepare their own Lugol's solution. It's easy to use, just put the % strength and volume you want to prepare and it will tell you how much KI and iodine you will need. It also calculate the total iodine per drop. Play with the % and volume to have the mg/drop you want.

It also works if you have an already prepared solution, just put the % and volume and it will tell how many mg of total iodine/drop.

It is based in % mass/volume that is the easiest and more practical way to use it. The use of mass/mass percentage is uncommon in preparative chemistry and for our purposes it is not justified in my opinion.

Thanks Galaxia2002, that's very useful!

I've been watching lots of videos on how to make Lugol's because I'm planning to do it myself after I've read some more. It seems quite easy and cheap. And a good way to have some "emergency Lugol's" for when it's needed. ;)

Gaby said:
I'm getting mild acne-like lesions in my skin. Will cut down the dose to see if it clears up, then slowly build up again.

I had the same thing pop up on my face. It's not like normal acne, more like you said, a lesion. It was oozing out some kind of liquid/pus for half a day. I was doing 4 drops of 12%, then cut that down to 2 drops. Today it just looks like a small, half-inch scrape that's scabbed over.

Gaby said:
Laura said:
Worth reading:

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1990492
Strange detox symptoms from iodine protocol

:shock:

I'm getting mild acne-like lesions in my skin. Will cut down the dose to see if it clears up, then slowly build up again.

Yikes, sounds like that bromoderma stuff. :shock: Wonder if more salt will help too, since salt is supposed to flush bromine out through the kidneys, rather than through the skin. Or perhaps there is something wrong with the detox pathways, maybe the kidneys?

One of the first things that happens when we start our Iodine tablets (we use Iodoral) is the release of bromine from the body. Bromine is a big problem since it is a toxic substance and is present in our food and environment in large quantities. Without realizing it, we have been ingesting various forms of bromine our entire lives.

Excessive accumulation of bromine is called Bromism, so the adverse effects of Iodine tablets, which are in reality due to bromine release, are similar to the symptoms of bromism.

One way to avoid these symptoms is to start the Iodoral with a low dose, such as half tablet every other day, to allow the body time to release the bromine. Another method is the addition of unrefined sea salt, half teaspoon in water once or twice a day) which provides the Sodium and Chloride ions for renal excretion of the bromine. Otherwise the bromine is excreted by the skin and accumulates in the oil glands at the base of the hair follicles. This leads to the Bromo-derma symptoms of acne and hair loss which are reported to me rarely in a few of my patients who actually have bromism symptoms after starting Iodoral.

Taken from: _http://jeffreydachmd.com/2014/03/iodine-unrefined-sea-salt-part-two-jeffrey-dach-md/

I searched some iodine forums today and it seems my observation was correct, that my insulin level gets lowered:

Iodine Research said:
In the Type 1 diabetics that we have been following we have noted that if C-peptide is
measurable, this would suggest that the individual is making their own insulin. I have been able
to help this group of patients to get off insulin or to greatly reduce the amount they need for
good glucose control with Iodoral at 4 tablets/day (50 mg)
. If C-peptide is absent, then we feel
there is no insulin being produced and we have not been able to help this particular group of
patients to get off their insulin. We have been able to help these patients lower the total amount
of insulin needed to control their glucose.

_http://www.iodineresearch.com/disease_diabetes.html

I will continue to search these sites if other experiences are shared.

bjorn said:
[quote author=Bo]For dutch people: You can get Lugol 5% (1 drop ~ 6,25 mg) here for a cheap price:

https://www.ergomax.nl/medisca-lugols-jodium-iodine-oplossing

Thanks Bo,

It contains the 3 essential ingredients, distilled water, iodine and potassium idoide

The warning states: Verplichte melding van de VWA: Let op! Dit product is vanwege de hoge jodiumconcentraties niet geschikt voor inname (Obligatory notification: Be aware: Because of the high percentage of iodine not meant for consumption.)

I suppose they always have to notify people with that warning when symptoms can occur. The ingredients and the percentage match. So it should be the right medicine.

Here you can buy 5 kilo of unrefined sea salt. You probable have to crush it before drinking.

https://www.vitaminstore.eu/health/algemeen/speciale-voeding/Celtic-Sea-Salt-Grof-voordeelverpakking/P260283?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-NqyBRC905irsrLr-LUBEiQAWJFYTj7ppCo10T9DeTyyIWyXJwvR-ZtKzNtiFxy-A89TTSsaAtCH8P8HAQ
[/quote]

My Lugol's 5% from ergomax has arrived today. They have also got a certificate of analysis on their website:

_https://www.ergomax.nl/media/x/lugols-certificaat-medisca.pdf

I buy my Celtic Salt from pit-pit.com, and I have bought salt in bulk (20 kilos), which makes it cheaper.

_https://www.pit-pit.com/keltisch-zeezout.html

I have bought supplements from vitamin store before, but I think they are quite expensive.
I don't think you have to crush the salt, bjorn, if you just put your salt in some hot water (first thing in the morning).

I have bought Brownstein's ebook today, but I can't seem to open it on my computer. :rolleyes:

I'm on my sixth day now, here are a few observations:

• First day: 2x5 drops 12% Lugol, standard Vit B complex, 2 cups of salt water (maybe half a teaspoon per cup) - felt very good and energized and much more stable emotionally, very slight detox syndroms (a slight headache, a bit of a "funny" feeling)
  • Second day: same things, same feeling
  • Third day: 5 drops in the morning, about 2 tsp. salt an hour later - I felt more detox syndromes in the early afternoon, so didn't take the second dose; drank more salt water + some Vit C - didn't help either.
  • Fourth day: 4 drops in the morning (+ B complex, salt water after an hour), quite some detox syndroms in the afternoon (headache, brain fog, mild pain at various places in the body - nothing really severe, but I felt quite uncomfortable); took another Vit B complex and I think it helped somewhat with the syndromes.
  • Fifth day: 3 drops in the morning, salt water etc., same syndroms in the afternoon - but then I took 2 drops Lugol anyway, and after an hour, the syndromes got WAY better!
  • Sixth day (today): 3 drops in the morning, salt water only in the afternoon, no Vit B, but 200 micro gram Selenium (arrived today), later (afternoon) two drops lugol, Vit B - so far, practically NO syndromes (except very slightly after the second dose), but an even higher energy! Also, I feel like I can breathe much better, the air feels "lighter", if that makes sense...

Conclusions for me so far: Brownstein seems to be right that Selenium is an important co-factor, I guess I'm deficient there. The vitamin B complex didn't seem to do very much, but it's just a run-of-the-mill complex and the dosage is probably too low. Since neither the salt water nor a reduction of the iodine dosage relieved the syndromes, I suspect that there may be something to nuke there. However, I will continue with 1x3 and 1x2 drops right now and see how it goes, and then adjust the dosage as necessary, if the Selenium doesn't do the trick and the symptoms are strictly related to that. I'm also thinking that it may be worth a try to reverse the dosages: taking a lower dose in the morning and a higher dose in the afternoon. Could it be that this way, you kind of "stalk" the critters and make 'em come out, and then once the symptoms start you "nuke" 'em? Anyway, splitting the dosages seems to be very important in my case.

My wife did the same protocol, with very similar results (but less symptoms than I). Interestingly, she didn't take the high dose of 2x2 tsp salt very well (unrefined Himalaya salt), it was probably too much for her, and I also felt slightly worse after the second glass. So I guess it's important to not exaggerate there... (or do we have the wrong salt?)

The bottom line is, I think, that Laura and others are right to point out the importance of the co-factors and that the required dosage varies individually (I may have started with too high a dosage, which was okay for me it seems, but wouldn't be right necessarily for others). It's worth experimenting with different combinations I think and see what happens (writing it down would be useful, as of course is knowledge about what iodine, salt and the co-factors do in the body). Since the co-factors can be expensive, maybe a good strategy would be to start with small dosages of lugol and a little salt, observe closely, experiment with dosages, and then add the co-factors, especially Selenium, if the results don't come/if there are problems?

So while iodine may be a 'miracle cure', I think we still have to approach it with a curious mindset to make it work, connect some dots and gather both practical knowledge (experimentation) and theoretical knowledge (understanding what's going on).

Gaby said:
Laura said:
Worth reading:

http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1990492
Strange detox symptoms from iodine protocol

:shock:

I was getting mild acne on my lower legs and small mosquito bite like rashes on my back. I had worked my way up to 4 drops of 10% Lugols at the time. I backed off by two drops and did 2 rounds of salt loading for 2 days. The acne and rash cleared up pretty quick. It was noticeable the next day. I am up to 7 drops a day now and do the salt loading at least twice a day along with salted water during the day. The salt loading really works well.

Back
Top Bottom