Iodine and Potassium Iodide

As things have progressed it seems that the most likely cause of my symptoms and those of some others is iodine detox of heavy metals, in particular mercury (for me). Mercury appears to be one of the most evil heavy metals around.

It leaks through the blood-brain barrier and reduces nerve conduction velocity and denervates nerve fibers. It basically stops the growth of neurons.

It prevents dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine from binding to neurons, damaging our molecules of emotion. This can make us lack zip, enthusiasm, joy, and creativity and make him anxious, insomniac, and terribly tense. This is precisely how I have been feeling, and others have also reported depression.

Mercury is also a major undiagnosed cause of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia.

Mercury can create peripheral neuropathy, auto-immunity and interferes with synapse transmission, decreasing infection control so the unsuspecting victim gets recurrent sinusitis, prostate or gum infections; as examples.

Hidden mercury toxicity can also be at the root of a resistant Candida infection. Sometimes you just cannot clear Candida symptoms until you get rid of the mercury.

Given that it seems the iodine I took dumped a bunch of mercury (and other metals) out of my organs and glands and into my bloodstream, I decided I needed some kind of flush to speed up the removal of it. So yesterday I took about 5grams of activated charcoal in water. Within an hour or two I felt pretty discombobulated but a few hours after that I felt much better. Repeating the process today. Apparently activated charcoal does not rob the body of good minerals, to there isn't any specific need to remineralize. It may be limited though in the extent to which it chelates metals from organs etc. so I also think I'll start a 3 day EDTA protocol, which does however requires remineralization.

Chlorella is also apparently another good binder of heavy metals.

Merry Christmas! :shock: :hug2:

Perceval said:
Apparently activated charcoal does not rob the body of good minerals, to there isn't any specific need to remineralize. It may be limited though in the extent to which it chelates metals from organs etc. so I also think I'll start a 3 day EDTA protocol, which does however requires remineralization.

Another experiment is to add 100-200mg of DMSA every 2 nights like Richard Horowitz suggested for those who are very sick. It also requires remineralization, but it is more specific for mercury. The dose is low enough to be very well tolerated by people. If the mercury was mobilized by iodine and is already in circulation, DMSA should dump it out through the urine much quicker.

My 2 cents!

:hug: :flowers:

Mr.Cyan said:
On a final note, ... i no longer have fatigue, and my previous chronic fatigue issues now are almost gone. For that alone Iodine has been a great revelation, ...

I like to address briefly one's frame of mind (beliefs) in all this if I may.

It's understood that often, a patient's inner beliefs influences greatly the course of illnesses, treatments, medication, or even the prevention of diseases. Those that survived the Great Plague for example (with help from tobacco -- but much more from their belief system.)

While that's extreme, the phenomenon is known to medicine. And it makes sense. When viewed within context of "most power to alter reality stems from the belief centers of the mind". This cryptically from C's. Seth explained a great deal more (in "The Way Toward Health"), all revolving around the same principle.

When I took my supplement, there was little anticipation. But after carefully reading that session, I went in with a natural positive frame of mind, and a sense that YES, this is probably good for me. But it wasn't blind faith. And there was an absence of fear (very important I think.)

I also LISTENED with great care what my body was telling me. (In case changes were needed.)

The effects overall have been "good" (though I think it's still WAY too early to conclude.) After reading the responses on this thread, I began to wonder whether this inner belief factor played any role (if at all) in some cases.

I could be very wrong.

FWIW.

sitting said:
After reading the responses on this thread, I began to wonder whether this inner belief factor played any role (if at all) in some cases.

To a certain extent I was a "control" in this process. When first taking iodine I hadn't read the books on it and hadn't read much of the thread. The only thing that was in my mind about iodine was that it was an effect anti-viral. So I had little expectations, except perhaps some 'die off' reactions. So my reaction was fairly 'clean' from any expectations that could have contributed to it. Certainly I had no expectations at all that the effect could have been so dramatic for me.

Gaby said:
Perceval said:
Apparently activated charcoal does not rob the body of good minerals, to there isn't any specific need to remineralize. It may be limited though in the extent to which it chelates metals from organs etc. so I also think I'll start a 3 day EDTA protocol, which does however requires remineralization.

Another experiment is to add 100-200mg of DMSA every 2 nights like Richard Horowitz suggested for those who are very sick. It also requires remineralization, but it is more specific for mercury. The dose is low enough to be very well tolerated by people. If the mercury was mobilized by iodine and is already in circulation, DMSA should dump it out through the urine much quicker.

My 2 cents!

:hug: :flowers:

Thanks. Gonna start on that tonight. :hug2:

Perceval said:
To a certain extent I was a "control" in this process. When first taking iodine I hadn't read the books on it and hadn't read much of the thread. The only thing that was in my mind about iodine was that it was an effect anti-viral. So I had little expectations, except perhaps some 'die off' reactions. So my reaction was fairly 'clean' from any expectations that could have contributed to it. Certainly I had no expectations at all that the effect could have been so dramatic for me.

Same here, I had little expectations going into it. I didn't have the intense reaction you did but I couldn't believe how fast the effects of the iodine were, within in minutes I would get a head ache or neck pain that wouldn't go away, also I'd get the shakes and emotional mood swings. I started with 4 drops then cut back to 1, with 1 drop I haven't had any reactions except deep sleeping and dreams so I think I'll bump it up a drop and see what happens.

Well, after taking a second dose (5grams) of activated charcoal this morning, within a few hours I seem to have moved on to a chest infection of some sort: burning sensation in the chest when coughing. I'll be glad when all of this is over. :(

Perceval said:
Well, after taking a second dose (5grams) of activated charcoal this morning, within a few hours I seem to have moved on to a chest infection of some sort: burning sensation in the chest when coughing. I'll be glad when all of this is over. :(

Sorry to hear about your new health 'crisis'.

Take care and Merry Christmas :hug2:

Perceval said:

This is crazy! Hopefully some vitamin C and NAC will help heal the chest infection.

Gaby said:
Perceval said:

This is crazy! Hopefully some vitamin C and NAC will help heal the chest infection.

Crazy indeed! What is interesting, that apparently what you describe is one of the symptoms of mercury poisoning. So maybe in your case it goes in reverse? Maybe continuing with the treatment may help with alleviating the pain? Don't know. By the way, another substance that can bind with mercury and render it harmless, and then remove it from the body is sulfur.

Wish you rapid and pain free healing. :hug2:

Mandatory Intellectomy said:
Mr.Cyan said:
About 2 weeks ago, all was seemingly well with Iodine and energy levels, and i was taking up to 2 doses a day of 8 drops of 12% Lugols. Each drop had 5.5mg of Iodine hence that was like almost 90mg a day.

Since this % labeling keeps causing confusion for people, I'd like to comment on this.

We've been mostly using this chart for per-drop content, consistent with Lugol's original labeling:
2% - 2.50mg
3% - 3.75mg
5% - 6.25mg
7% - 8.75mg
10% - 12.50mg
12% - 15mg
15% - 18.75mg

You said before you "have the Health Leads 12% lugol solution", so I looked it up.

http://www.healthleadsuk.com/supplements/liquid-concentrates-solutions-etc/lugols-iodine-solution-12-per-cent.html

It turns out they specifically say they count the percentage differently, counting both the elemental Iodine and the Iodide into it, while normally the percentage is derived from the elemental Iodine only. What is "correct" is somewhat beside the point. The point is that the chart I posted above has been by far more common in this thread and in the labeling of most of the products mentioned here, so using a different system could be confusing for some people.
So according to the standard system, your Lugol's solution is actually 4.4%, based on the (rather detailed) info on their website.
It says at the bottom: Lugol's High strength (4% iodine; 8% Potassium iodide content).

They rounded it to 4 here, but the really relevant part is this:

Health Leads makes Lugol's solution according to the Dr Hulda Clark recipe. Lugol's contains iodine (I2) and potassium iodide (KI). For a 1000ml amount: 44g of iodine and 88g of potassium iodide are added to 750ml and when dissolved this is topped up to make 1000ml of distilled water.
I agree that it is confusing as has been mentioned several times throughout the thread. To justify the reason for calling it 12% they say:

Our Lugol's formula is the one recommended by Dr. Hulda Clark. According to Wikipedia a "5% solution consists of 5% (wt/v) iodine (I2) and 10% (wt/v) potassium iodide (KI) mixed in distilled water." However, the convention for naming Lugols Solution this way is misleading. The Potassium Iodide also contains iodine. In fact, 76% of the weight of each KI molecule is the iodine atom. Therefore, in order to understand the full amount of iodine in a solution add: the amount of pure iodine (I2) PLUS (.76 x potassium iodide). For our solution the quantities are: 44g + (.76 x 88g) = 111g. Rounding up this gives you our 12% solution. (as calculated by a weight/volume measurement)

The problem is that they use the metric drop of 20drops/ml, which is why it says 5,54mg per drop on the bottle as (111/20=5.55). The only thing is that according to their own measurements there are only 15 drops per ml and not 20 drops:
Other factors need to be considered that contribute to the strength of the solution. For example, how much is a "drop"? In providing the above information, we have decided to follow the standard metric description that 1 drop = 1/20 of 1ml. (You may be interested to know that we measured 15 vertical drops from the actual pipette as equal to 1ml). Plus whether the drop is a vertical or horizontal drop also factors in to the quantity.
:huh:
So it means that one drop from the pipette contains 111/15 = 7.4mg

If one uses muscle testing to determine the dosage or if one determines it based on reactions to a slowly increasing dosage then in a sense, it doesn't matter. Otherwise it can be useful for reference in the future, especially if one uses a different strength.

Perceval said:

Hi Joe,

I must say this troubles me.

Your reliance should be on those closest to you, who know your habits & history, and not on some running diagnostics over the internet. I'm sorry to be blunt, but this does not seem to be going in the right direction. This cycle of new symptoms -- new remedies -- more symptoms -- further remedies over the net can be dangerous (without full knowledge of your medical background and history.)

It goes without saying that on-hand medical expertise should be kept near.

Also please remember that you are one of the prime targets -- of you know who. Either to hit you directly ... or to hit Laura indirectly. Think through this carefully. The situation may be more complex than you realize.

But I could be wrong.

FWIW.

Hi Perceval... after reading your saga with charcoal, here are some points that got my attention...

1- Medical uses
Activated carbon is used to treat poisonings and overdoses following oral ingestion. It is not effective for a number of poisonings including strong acids or alkali, cyanide, iron, lithium, arsenic, methanol, ethanol or ethylene glycol.

Tablets or capsules of activated carbon are used in many countries as an over-the-counter drug to treat diarrhea, indigestion, and flatulence.

2- Adverse effects

Incorrect application (e.g., into the lungs) results in pulmonary aspiration which can sometimes be fatal if immediate medical treatment is not initiated. The use of activated carbon is contraindicated when the ingested substance is an acid, an alkali, or a petroleum product.

3- Gastrointestinal tract-related issues

Charcoal biscuits were sold in England starting in the early 19th century, originally as remedy to flatulence and stomach trouble.

Tablets or capsules of activated carbon are used in many countries as an over-the-counter drug to treat diarrhea, indigestion, and flatulence. There is some evidence of its effectiveness to prevent diarrhea in cancer patients who have received irinotecan. It can interfere with the absorption of some medications, and lead to unreliable readings in medical tests such as the guaiac card test. Activated carbon is also used for bowel preparation by reducing intestinal gas content before abdominal radiography to visualize bile and pancreatic and renal stones. A type of charcoal biscuit has also been marketed as a pet care product.

4- Physically, activated carbon binds materials by van der Waals force or London dispersion force.

Activated carbon does not bind well to certain chemicals, including alcohols, diols, strong acids and bases, metals and most inorganics, such as lithium, sodium, iron, lead, arsenic, fluorine, and boric acid.

Activated carbon adsorbs iodine very well. The iodine capacity, mg/g, (ASTM D28 Standard Method test) may be used as an indication of total surface area.

5- Iodine number

Many carbons preferentially adsorb small molecules. Iodine number is the most fundamental parameter used to characterize activated carbon performance. It is a measure of activity level (higher number indicates higher degree of activation-needs citation), often reported in mg/g (typical range 500–1200 mg/g). It is a measure of the micropore content of the activated carbon (0 to 20 Å, or up to 2 nm) by adsorption of iodine from solution. It is equivalent to surface area of carbon between 900 m²/g and 1100 m²/g. It is the standard measure for liquid phase applications.

Iodine number is defined as the milligrams of iodine adsorbed by one gram of carbon when the iodine concentration in the residual filtrate is 0.02 normal. Basically, iodine number is a measure of the iodine adsorbed in the pores and, as such, is an indication of the pore volume available in the activated carbon of interest. Typically, water treatment carbons have iodine numbers ranging from 600 to 1100. Frequently, this parameter is used to determine the degree of exhaustion of a carbon in use. However, this practice should be viewed with caution as chemical interactions with the adsorbate may affect the iodine uptake giving false results. Thus, the use of iodine number as a measure of the degree of exhaustion of a carbon bed can only be recommended if it has been shown to be free of chemical interactions with adsorbates and if an experimental correlation between iodine number and the degree of exhaustion has been determined for the particular application.

6- Adsorption:

Is the adhesion of atoms, ions, or molecules from a gas, liquid, or dissolved solid to a surface.

Carbon-based compounds – Are typically hydrophobic and non-polar, including materials such as activated carbon and graphite.

a) Adsorption in viruses

Adsorption is the first step in the viral life cycle. The next steps are penetration, uncoating, synthesis (transcription if needed, and translation), and release. The virus replication cycle, in this respect, is similar for all types of viruses. Factors such as transcription may or may not be needed if the virus is able to integrate its genomic information in the cell's nucleus, or if the virus can replicate itself directly within the cell's cytoplasm.

Sources:

_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon
_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal_%28medication%29
_https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsorption

Well after pondering all the above information it is possible that a Strong CRITTER is fighting for survival in your case...
That maybe will explain your Chest Infection...

Causes of chest infections
The main causes include:

A virus
Bacteria
Mycoplasma (a special kind of bacteria).

_https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/chest-infections

and second a lot of care is needed when dealing with Charcoal... Specially int the Alkaline department.

Cheers!!! be well Perceval...

Just my two cents... :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Pss. Aditional info added that was forgot.

sitting said:
Perceval said:

Hi Joe,

I must say this troubles me.

Your reliance should be on those closest to you, who know your habits & history, and not on some running diagnostics over the internet. I'm sorry to be blunt, but this does not seem to be going in the right direction. This cycle of new symptoms -- new remedies -- more symptoms -- further remedies over the net can be dangerous (without full knowledge of your medical background and history.)

It goes without saying that on-hand medical expertise should be kept near.

Also please remember that you are one of the prime targets -- of you know who. Either to hit you directly ... or to hit Laura indirectly. Think through this carefully. The situation may be more complex than you realize.

But I could be wrong.

FWIW.

Hi Sitting, I'm not too concerned about the chest problem because it is more in line with the milder symptoms that others have been having from iodine. My major symptoms appear to be closely linked to mercury toxicity. I had an MRI of my liver two years ago because of my high ferritine, and while it was normal enough, the doc. did say that my liver was slightly enlarged. Oxajil just mentioned to me that she remembers reading somewhere that for people will low body fat (like me) toxins are more likely to be stored in the organs. So I'm wondering if my slightly enlarged liver wasn't evidence of this. If so, when I took fairly high doses of iodine, it might have precipitated a mobilization of metals out of my liver and other organs etc. resulting in my symptoms.

In that case, what I should have done before now is realise that it was likely a mercury problem rather than any thyroid issue and begun a heavy metal detox straight away. I am slowly getting better, although there are ups and downs along the way. The heavy metal detox protocol that I'm going to follow now isn't something that should cause any additional problems and should actually (or ideally) help.

Just a question for those who might know while I try to find the answer myself, but if iodine is effective at removing metals from the organs/cells etc. does it actually help to eliminate them, or does it just remove them from the organs/cells and dump them in the bloodstream or somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom