Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Hello!

After following this thread for some years now and I have finally started taking Iodin. I currently have the Lugols Solution 2%.

I am drinking 1/4 of a teaspoon of sea salt when I wake up, eat breakfast, and then take four drops(started with one). Wait about two hours I then take about 3g of vitamin C. Before I go to bed I take 600mg of magnesium.

So far I have not had any other reactions than; more intense dreams, dryness and itching in the right eye and a changed sleeping pattern. I have trouble falling to sleep and have to sleep a bit in the day. I also seem to feel a bit calmer in a strange way.

I should know the answer to my question after following this subject for so long, but somehow I can't find back to it. I remember reading that to get the most out of this Iodin cure you have to take enough to "nuke" the critters and that taking too little can make it worse. I remember reading that some had to take very large doses to get this done. I don't want to take too much or too little and therefore need some help. What is the ideal daily intake that I should be working towards?

Thank you for reading and for any advice given :D

Hello Odin,

As you might be aware, Iodine can trigger many detox reactions and it's better to use it with caution when it comes to high doses. Generally speaking, most people will do fine with just a maintenance dose while following other protocols that help the process of detoxing and healing. The co-factors mentioned throughout the thread are a good example of what to do in this regard.

It very important to stress this factor about helping the body to detox because many of the symptoms people experience are usually related to the fact that the body starts moving all these toxins around and sometimes our bodies are slow in removing all of that from the body, so we get symptoms related to toxicity.

I use higher doses of Iodine only for a couple of days when I notice symptoms of viral infection. Then I just go on with the maintenance doses every now and then.

Here are some posts from this thread I collected regarding the "nuking" option:

I want to again encourage everyone to read the book (Brownstein's) because he cites a lot of cases and if you find one that is similar to your own, you can see how he treated it, the amounts and so forth. And of course, it would be really good if you could find a doctor who is "iodine literate" to monitor things. You have to be observant of your body and know when to increase or decrease. Probably best for peeps to just start on the normal maintenance dose and stay there unless something unusual happens, like the activation of a critter/microbe/virus, which you then want to nuke, but only for a few days and then go back to the normal dosing schedule.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I used the "nuking" method to combat a virus. Today was going to be my 10th day, and I was going to start taking a much lower dose. But it seems that I've done one day too many. SO, WARNING!! Detox reactions can be strong!!

Yesterday evening I noticed a small lump behind my ears. They were itchy and gave me a bit of a burning sensation, but nothing else. Before going to bed, I noticed a tiny lump on both my eyelids. Well, this morning I woke up with very swollen eyelids, and they've gotten worse as the day goes by. I also got bumps in my legs, lower back and forearms. Nothing hurts, but it's itchy and "burning".

It seems to be a case of having a too strong detox reaction. I had no idea that I may have so much bromine in my body, but that's what it looks like. So, be careful, and go slowly.

Here is what I found. There are different kinds of "bumps" or skin symptoms you can get when your body is struggling to flush bromine/fluoride/chlorine/heavy metals out. If you get any of these, you want to skip the iodine, take some liver support supplements (milk thistle, NAC, vit C.), increase the salted water intake, and restart after the symptoms have subsided, with lower doses than before. BUT, hopefully, you don't need to get to this point if you take smaller doses every time.

And this tells me that for a virus, perhaps it's better to "nuke" it for just about a week only.

We discussed potential anti-viral doses in this thread. Some people have increased their iodine dose for a few days in order to nuke the bugs [added: they have done this at the first sign of viral infection], then they go back to the "low" maintenance dose.

BUT if you were not sure what was going on and if you haven't read the entire thread, then don't do anything rashly.

In your case, I'd say that if you aren't dealing with a specific infection, there's no need to try the "nuke" approach. Maybe just focusing on getting your detox pathways to work better and improve your health in general will be enough? Is there a particular health issue you're dealing with that you're trying to address with this high doses?

My 2 cents...

Hello Odin,

As you might be aware, Iodine can trigger many detox reactions and it's better to use it with caution when it comes to high doses. Generally speaking, most people will do fine with just a maintenance dose while following other protocols that help the process of detoxing and healing. The co-factors mentioned throughout the thread are a good example of what to do in this regard.

It is very important to stress this factor about helping the body to detox because many of the symptoms people experience are usually related to the fact that the body starts moving all these toxins around and sometimes our bodies are slow in removing all of that from the body, so we get symptoms related to toxicity.

I use higher doses of Iodine only for a couple of days when I notice symptoms of viral infection. Then I just go on with the maintenance doses every now and then.

In your case, I'd say that if you aren't dealing with a specific infection, there's no need to try the "nuke" approach. Maybe just focusing on getting your detox pathways to work better and improve your health in general will be enough? Is there a particular health issue you're dealing with that you're trying to address with this high doses?

My 2 cents...
From my personal experience, I can't say I can overdose iodine. It's a bit intricate statement because, from one side, I would like to recommend experimenting with high doses (when you are healthy). On the other hand, I know that it can be unfavorable for some. So, finally, the one safe recommendation is to use iodine. little by little to get higher doses.

I am wondering about the bold statement. I think your attitude @Yas could be perfectly correct. However, I share my own logic, which you may want to consider or not. I generally get little doses when I am healthy, just for health, the same as getting a few grams of Vit C or magnesium. But sometimes I get (when I am healthy) I get a VERY high dose. When I am ill, I stop take iodine and get VERY high doses of Vit C. I could consider taking a HIGH dose of iodine, but only then, when Vit C and struggle of my own organism to get rid of infection do not work, I didn't have such situation, but maybe sometime I use iodine then.

Apart from the good advice that Gaby gave and the exercises there is a very good product in Homeopathy against vertigo that I myself used once a few years ago when I had vertigo: VERTIGOHEEL of the Heel brand.

When I was young I was dizzy for a long time and finally a doctor found the problem: one of my eardrums was opening. This was due to an ear infection. It was a long time ago, I was barely 19 years old, but the dizziness was terrible. The doctor who found the solution was a good doctor, which is rare.
I have had Vertigo (comes and goes) for the last 7 years. It has been really bad at times, have to crawl to a chair after sleeping a couple of times and sit for a half hour before I dare stand up. I ruptured my right ear drum some years ago In a scuba diving accident (emergency ascent), had a typanectomy and ear drum replacement (from my fascia) and it worked for a while, then ruptured 50+%. I have the vertigo that Gaby talked about:
That sounds like Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo which is very easily treated with maneuvers:
I had a series of 4 epley maneuvers done over 2 1/2 months at physical therapist specializing in Vertigo, each time it returned within 2 weeks but not as bad. I am going to try a method described below the next time it gets bad, it is always with me especially if I get my head below waist level or stand up quickly. Hope it works, perhaps I will give it a try before it does get bad and see the results.

Hi people,

I bought Lugol's solution 2,5%, Vit C and sodium bicarbonate (i hope that is a good translation).
Could someone suggest me the dosage of these per day? I've been looking through forum and i see people use different dosages plus i got confused on the Lugol's % so yeah..

Thank you very much.

Hello Odin,

It very important to stress this factor about helping the body to detox because many of the symptoms people experience are usually related to the fact that the body starts moving all these toxins around and sometimes our bodies are slow in removing all of that from the body, so we get symptoms related to toxicity.

My 2 cents...
Hello. Yas.

Thank you so much for your input! I am sorry for not replying back to you before, something must be wrong with my notifications.

I have been taking it slowly and have had very little discomfort. What I have been noticing is that if I am not able to take the drops straight after breakfast I will get a headache but this quickly goes away after I take my Iodine. Also I feel so awake and alert after taking the Iodine, but this might be some sort of placebo.

I have been reading the "The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine" by Stephanie Burst which I thought was good.

On dosage she wrights:

3.How much Iodine do I need to take?
There are no amounts that can be given as a blanket recommendation. Everyone needs different amounts based on their body’s ability to utilize the nutrients as well as the level of toxic halide exposure they have each day. If you are dealing with a severe health condition then your dosages would need to be higher than those trying to maintain good health.

a.Maintenance–It was once believed that a good maintenance dose is 25 mgs per day. But with more information being gained about the exposures to halides bombarding our systems (bromides, fluorides, chlorine) as well as mercury, etc., maintenance of health may require higher doses of iodine. The iodine doctors are now beginning to believe that 50 mgs may be the minimum required dose.

b.Cancer–Cancer is a result of mutated cells. Iodine is absolutely critical for something called P53 gene which is known as the “keeper of the genetic code”. Without iodine and seleniumit will not function to eliminate abnormal cells from the body such as cancer. Cancer patients have taken anywhere from 50 –300

The Guide to Supplementing with IodineRev 12/115| P a g emgs / day successfully. Here is a good article on how P53 works with the mdm2 in cancer http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071015215101.htmFor information on the P53 and Iodine see the Minerals for the Genetic Code book.

Currently I am taking 8 drops of the Lugols 2% = 20mgs and the plan is to work my way up to 50mgs nice and slow.

I will take your advice to heart and take it slow and pay good attention to my body and different reactions. And since I dont have any serious health conditions I will not go for the full "nuking".

Again, thanks and sorry for my late replay :)

Hi!

Today I had a followup appointment with my otolaryngologist regarding my right cheek. It has been a bit swollen and red for about two years now and although it does not bring me any physical discomfort it is annoying and I want to find a solution to it. I have tried chiropractor and acupuncture witch seems to help some, but it keeps coming back. My personal take has been that it is a stress reaction of some sort and that I need to find a way to let my body heal naturally.

The appointment today was to go over the results of my MRI. The results from my head, neck, and jaw were good, but he saw that the right salivary gland was swollen. He kept saying that this was nothing to worry about but that he wanted to get a biopsy just to make sure.

I told him about my Iodine protocol and he was not negative but did not have much input either.

On my way back I was a bit stressed, to be honest. The reason he wanted me to take the biopsy is to check for cancers so my first reaction was that I have to start to take more Iodine.

What do you guys think(I will not take this as medical advice, I just want to get some input), should I increase my dosage of Iodine or stay on track and wait for the biopsy results?

Thank you ;-)

This iodine protocol is one of my "best friends".
At this point, a heartfelt thank you to Gaby and all others who have shared their thoughts and experience.

I started about 4 years ago with 50mg. By the way, I noticed that a birthmark, which I had been worried about from time to time (it got bigger, thicker, darker, and in a way humid), changed for the better. So I increased the dose to 100mg and a few days later I increased it again to 150mg.
The birthmark disappeared forever - only a small white spot, hardly visible, remained. (I kept "this miracle" to myself for now.)

A few weeks ago I decided to go back to 150mg - again because of a birthmark.
This time I showed it to my partner and told him, that this birthmark will be history in about 10 days.

Already after 2 days, the itching started - the same itching as after a bloody wound on the skin, when the crust has formed over the injury. From the 5th day on, you could see it shrinking.
After 14 days the birthmark has disappeared.

Now I am back to 50mg. ...(and, what makes me especially happy, my partner also started with it - with 12,5mg.
Now he has increased to 25mg).

Maybe I have to mention that I have tried lower doses in between. But for me this is nothing. I felt like a good process was stopped. Maybe not stopped, maybe slow-motion is a better expression.
This state made me nervous - so I went back up to 50mg.

Now I hope that DeepL did a good job and my message is understandable.

It took me quite long to write this post.
I started taking iodine in February after lots of reading.
First of all many thanks to all the forum members who contributed to this thread. It has been the greatest learning tool.

I suffered from a varied collection of chronic conditions as so many human beings, some from early on in my life and others that developed over the years and it seemed as if one placed itself on top of the other and so on, so in order of appearance:
- recurring candida infections since my teenage years. I don't know how many kilos of antifungal cremes I've applied in my life.
- recurring herpes infections. Much later I learned that candida triggers herpes and vice versa. They live a happy companionship.
- 2012 fibromyalgia
- various back related problems
- hayfever
- lately guttate psoriasis
- menopause issues
Some years ago I began with daily exercises plus stretching for my back and to keep the fibromyalgia in check.
About a year ago I started to take MSM. It helped immensly with pain and stiffness. After a while I was up to 16g of MSM daily and since MSM also detoxes the body I might have done a good load of detox before even starting with iodine.

I take all the accompanying supplements- salt, Vit C, selen, magnesia, vit B2, B3 in the recommended doses plus vit D3.
The times I'm taking my supplements are unorthodox since my circadian rhythm is as well but I always take vitC away from iodine.
Higher doses of iodine I take with milk or oat milk.

I started the protocol:
February- 1 drop Lugol's 5% and went up to 8 drops (50mg) in the run of 2 weeks.

I had some mild reactions like feeling 'super awake', 'super tired', mild diarrhea, slight headaches, eyes twitching, neck pain, some itchiness, mental alertness, running nose....
Nothing serious but I did get a bit agitated anyway after reading about some personal experiences of others here in this thread and after 3 weeks I cut it down to 1 drop again for about 2 weeks, then up again because it didn't 'feel' right.
I write down every dose on my calender and usually go with my feeling about how much to take each day.

March- between 4-8 drops with occasional breaks for 2 days.
April 3-8 drops, but mostly 8 drops- occasional 2-day-breaks
May - mostly 8 drops- occasional breaks

I started to fell better pretty quickly concerning every single problem:
- not one new psoriaris patch since February- the old ones diappeared with external application of Lugol's 7,5% over the time of ~2weeks
- no candida
- herpes only once in the beginning (triggered by iodine?), since then nothing
- hayfever almost not existent
- pains from fibromyalgia almost non existent, sometimes none.
- msm down to 5 g/daily

Middle of June I had some appointments with a dentist and the guy triggered trouble- teeth, gum, maxillary and mandibular problems arised, inflammatory processes were triggered.
The dentist offered antibiotics but I decided to 'nuke' it with iodine.
I increased the dose in quick steps for June and July:
8°- 10°- 20°- 32° (200mg)- back to 21°- 32°- up to 48 drops (300mg).
So I took high doses for about 7 weeks without any herx reactions or other side effects although I'm having dark thoughts at times. I must take iodine into consideration here but mainly I blame it on the horrfifying state of this world.
I've cut down on it now since I don't feel as if the problem still exists and will take about 12 drops (75mg) for now.

I will do another iodine loading test soon.
I did one 5 weeks after starting the protocol- result was 49% excretion.
That is after morning urine, intake of 50 mg Lugol's and then collecting your urine for 24hours. They say when your iodine level is saturated you eliminate about 93% of the iodine via your urine. So 49% showed a very low iodine level.
I will keep you posted how the next loading test turns out.
I will also have some blood tests done with my doctor in October (if our overlords allow though) to check whether all other parameters are fine with my approach of self treatment. ;)

It is just sooo great to not being bothered anymore with all these symptoms that I've gotten used to live with.
Thanks to this forum because I suffered from 'iodine anxiety' before. :cool2:
And there is still room for improvement because all my life I've avoided to change my diet. I'm still having coffee with sugar, eat cake and bread when at work. So there is a lot still to accomplish...

What do you guys think(I will not take this as medical advice, I just want to get some input), should I increase my dosage of Iodine or stay on track and wait for the biopsy results?
My advice would be to stay on your track and listen to your body. I wouldn't increase the dose just because your doctor wants to make a biopsy.

Iodoral, 50mg .... and now also with 12,5mg - you can get it through iHerb.
This kind of medication is easier for me, but I meant that it is more expensive than liquid Lugol. (?)
Yes, I am currently taking Iodoral too. I buy it from Dr. David Brownstein to support him.

I find that Lugol's is more difficult to take all at once when I get around 75mg and higher. I rarely go that high, and it's when I'm trying to nuke something.

I find that Lugol's is more difficult to take all at once when I get around 75mg and higher. I rarely go that high, and it's when I'm trying to nuke something.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but one could put Lugol's iodine in gelatine capsules, wash them down with water and bypass the acerbic taste this way. The capsules come in several sizes: for example with the largest one (size 000), it takes about 23 drops of fill it. You can buy them from various sellers: Amazon, eBay, etc.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but one could put Lugol's iodine in gelatine capsules, wash them down with water and bypass the acerbic taste this way. The capsules come in several sizes: for example with the largest one (size 000), it takes about 23 drops of fill it. You can buy them from various sellers: Amazon, eBay, etc.

Thanks. What I did was multiple separate doses. If I was normally taking 10 drops of 2% Lugol's (25mg) in a bit of water, then I would just repeat 2 more times to get to 75mg.

It took me quite long to write this post.
I started taking iodine in February after lots of reading.
First of all many thanks to all the forum members who contributed to this thread. It has been the greatest learning tool.

I suffered from a varied collection of chronic conditions as so many human beings, some from early on in my life and others that developed over the years and it seemed as if one placed itself on top of the other and so on, so in order of appearance:
- recurring candida infections since my teenage years. I don't know how many kilos of antifungal cremes I've applied in my life.
- recurring herpes infections. Much later I learned that candida triggers herpes and vice versa. They live a happy companionship.
- 2012 fibromyalgia
- various back related problems
- hayfever
- lately guttate psoriasis
- menopause issues
Some years ago I began with daily exercises plus stretching for my back and to keep the fibromyalgia in check.
About a year ago I started to take MSM. It helped immensly with pain and stiffness. After a while I was up to 16g of MSM daily and since MSM also detoxes the body I might have done a good load of detox before even starting with iodine.

I take all the accompanying supplements- salt, Vit C, selen, magnesia, vit B2, B3 in the recommended doses plus vit D3.
The times I'm taking my supplements are unorthodox since my circadian rhythm is as well but I always take vitC away from iodine.
Higher doses of iodine I take with milk or oat milk.

I started the protocol:
February- 1 drop Lugol's 5% and went up to 8 drops (50mg) in the run of 2 weeks.

I had some mild reactions like feeling 'super awake', 'super tired', mild diarrhea, slight headaches, eyes twitching, neck pain, some itchiness, mental alertness, running nose....
Nothing serious but I did get a bit agitated anyway after reading about some personal experiences of others here in this thread and after 3 weeks I cut it down to 1 drop again for about 2 weeks, then up again because it didn't 'feel' right.
I write down every dose on my calender and usually go with my feeling about how much to take each day.

March- between 4-8 drops with occasional breaks for 2 days.
April 3-8 drops, but mostly 8 drops- occasional 2-day-breaks
May - mostly 8 drops- occasional breaks

I started to fell better pretty quickly concerning every single problem:
- not one new psoriaris patch since February- the old ones diappeared with external application of Lugol's 7,5% over the time of ~2weeks
- no candida
- herpes only once in the beginning (triggered by iodine?), since then nothing
- hayfever almost not existent
- pains from fibromyalgia almost non existent, sometimes none.
- msm down to 5 g/daily

Middle of June I had some appointments with a dentist and the guy triggered trouble- teeth, gum, maxillary and mandibular problems arised, inflammatory processes were triggered.
The dentist offered antibiotics but I decided to 'nuke' it with iodine.
I increased the dose in quick steps for June and July:
8°- 10°- 20°- 32° (200mg)- back to 21°- 32°- up to 48 drops (300mg).
So I took high doses for about 7 weeks without any herx reactions or other side effects although I'm having dark thoughts at times. I must take iodine into consideration here but mainly I blame it on the horrfifying state of this world.
I've cut down on it now since I don't feel as if the problem still exists and will take about 12 drops (75mg) for now.

I will do another iodine loading test soon.
I did one 5 weeks after starting the protocol- result was 49% excretion.
That is after morning urine, intake of 50 mg Lugol's and then collecting your urine for 24hours. They say when your iodine level is saturated you eliminate about 93% of the iodine via your urine. So 49% showed a very low iodine level.
I will keep you posted how the next loading test turns out.
I will also have some blood tests done with my doctor in October (if our overlords allow though) to check whether all other parameters are fine with my approach of self treatment. ;)

It is just sooo great to not being bothered anymore with all these symptoms that I've gotten used to live with.
Thanks to this forum because I suffered from 'iodine anxiety' before. :cool2:
And there is still room for improvement because all my life I've avoided to change my diet. I'm still having coffee with sugar, eat cake and bread when at work. So there is a lot still to accomplish...

My advice would be to stay on your track and listen to your body. I wouldn't increase the dose just because your doctor wants to make a biopsy.
Hi Tauriel!

Thanks for your informative post; very helpful. I noticed that we live in the same country. Where do you get your iodine loading tests done? I’ve been trying to find somewhere that offers this, so at the moment I’m playing guessing games. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom