Is Coffee Good or Bad for you?

This is a very interesting topic. Every time I drink black or green tea I get nauseous, but herbal tea and Yerba Mate are fine. I usually drink a bit of coffee everyday. It does not seem to be a problem for me, only if I drink it after 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

I have tried coffee brewed several different ways and my favorite is as espresso, using a french press, and sometimes using the pour-over method. I think, using a paper filter when brewing coffee takes a lot of the oils out that makes it so tasty. I also like to mix coffee or espresso with Roobios tea, or mint tea, butter, and stevia, and blend it up. As lostinself was saying, cold brew coffee or Toddy is another way to brew coffee that has sprung up recently. Some customers I meet say that hot coffee hurts their stomach, but cold brew does not and that the coffee is less bitter.

I have been using organic whole been, single origin coffee that is medium roasted and roasted no later then about five days prior to drinking. In the past, I have found that dark roasted coffee (French roast, Italian roast, or City-plus roast) upset my stomach, but a medium roasted coffee seems fine.

lostinself said:
Coffee is definitely more than just caffeine. If prepared "correctly", it can give a very tangible mood lift which caffeine on its own is unable to produce. These effects vary greatly with the variety of beans being used. Perhaps it's due to beta-carbolines (same as those in tobacco smoke) or some essential oils.

Negative inflamatory-like effects also seem to depend on the variety. I've noticed that strains with an intense aroma, which often happen to be those more "euphoric", are much more likely to produce headaches, mental fog etc., especially when prepared turkish-style. On the other hand, there are coffees i'm totally OK with, even when drinking 2 cups a day. It does not seem to depend on the quality alone and i don't think mold is the only culprit.

Buttered bulletproof coffee is awesome but the stimulation is more pronounced and can last too long for me. I guess with a "bad" strain of beans the negative effects will last much longer too.

For coffee lovers who find the negative effects overwhelming there's always a last restort - cold brew coffee. Cold water extracts a narrower spectrum of compounds, minimizing the amount of undesirable stuff (acids etc.). Caffeine does get extracted though. The taste is different but not bad at all.

I have wondered if inflammatory-like effects depend on the variety of bean. I know that when I drink Yirgacheffe coffee I start getting some symptoms (gas, aches, ect), but coffees from Central and South America don't seem to have that effect. I think it's very interesting.

I did an experiment. After reading yet another article about flouride levels in tea, I decided to eliminate tea for a while and replace it with coffee. After several weeks I found I was gradually feeling worse and worse, particularly mentally. I thought by stopping tea completely, I might notice some benefit from less flouride, but no. So this week I eliminated coffee and replaced it with tea and I feel a lot better. So I think there is definitely something to this gluten cross-reactivity thing.

Mr. Premise said:
I did an experiment. After reading yet another article about flouride levels in tea, I decided to eliminate tea for a while and replace it with coffee. After several weeks I found I was gradually feeling worse and worse, particularly mentally. I thought by stopping tea completely, I might notice some benefit from less flouride, but no. So this week I eliminated coffee and replaced it with tea and I feel a lot better. So I think there is definitely something to this gluten cross-reactivity thing.

Ive recently done quite the opposite - quicking coffee and turning to Tea. Mainly Oolong and green.
Instantly the inflammation in my shoulders that i got from coffee vanished. Also the effects of tea are not accompanied with a crash or craving for more caffeine.
A week ago, having the weekend off i treated myself to a coffee, and instantly i got a mild mood kick but my body just dropped. My gut turned, and my shoulders ached. Yet i wanted another :scared:
I cannot handle much black tea, as it just doesnt taste right to the lips in comparison to Green or Yerba Maté. Ive found these to sit on my stomach alot easier, regardless of how much i drink.

Huxley said:
Mr. Premise said:

Ive recently done quite the opposite - quicking coffee and turning to Tea. Mainly Oolong and green.
Instantly the inflammation in my shoulders that i got from coffee vanished. Also the effects of tea are not accompanied with a crash or craving for more caffeine.
A week ago, having the weekend off i treated myself to a coffee, and instantly i got a mild mood kick but my body just dropped. My gut turned, and my shoulders ached. Yet i wanted another :scared:
I cannot handle much black tea, as it just doesnt taste right to the lips in comparison to Green or Yerba Maté. Ive found these to sit on my stomach alot easier, regardless of how much i drink.

Talking about experiments since I'm a huge drinker of tea (2 to 3 liters a day), I have decided after reading a couple of times that tea can get rid of your minerals if you drink while you are eating and that the best way to avoid that is to drink your tea at least 30 minutes after a meal.

So I have been doing that for the last week and so far my level of energy is quite better.

Gandalf said:
Huxley said:
Mr. Premise said:

Talking about experiments since I'm a huge drinker of tea (2 to 3 liters a day), I have decided after reading a couple of times that tea can get rid of your minerals if you drink while you are eating and that the best way to avoid that is to drink your tea at least 30 minutes after a meal.

So I have been doing that for the last week and so far my level of energy is quite better.

I always wait 30+ minutes before and after eating to drink anything because I believe digestion is impaired by the dilution of acids, but I could be totally wrong.

Yeah it states in the keto adapted book not to eat whilst eating as it prevents proper digestion.

Lilyalic said:
Yeah it states in the keto adapted book not to eat whilst eating as it prevents proper digestion.

I've noticed that if I have a very fatty meal I will feel lethargic, but after a few sips of water I'm much more energetic. Not sure if it messes with my digestion, but it is an observation.

Bringing this anecdote back to topic, I don't seem to do well with ANY kind of tea or coffee. Coffee makes me VERY anxious, and every tea I've tried lately has at least made me 'nervous'.

OK so after cutting coffee out for around 3-4 months, I recently thought I'd try some. I had a few sips the other day and all was fine and dandy, but then a day afterwards I had a full cup. I actually felt "high" like I was on some sort of stimulant drug, it felt as if my thoughts were running quicker and my anxiety could have easily been stimulated. My eyes became very widened and heavy, and then it effected my gut A LOT, the coffee literally ran through me more than once. The next day I woke up with a hell of a headache, took some NAC and VitC and was OK after a few hours.

I NEVER thought it could cause so many effects

This is about tea so it may be more to do with the caffeine. I've not tested coffee in years but still drink tea. I drank a cup of particularly strong tea around 7:30-8 last night. I usually have a final cup around 5:30 and it's usually an herbal tea. This was a black tea I let brew stronger than normal.

I got a bad frontal and side headache that lasted for about an hour. I think it was too much caffeine, as I had had a cup of black tea around 5:30 too. So I think the general idea to not drink caffeine in the late evenings is a good idea, at least for me. Fwiw.

2 years ago I had to stop drinking coffee and I felt much better then:
1) no headaches
2) no heartaches
3) better sleep

Under the strain of workload I went back to drinking coffee to have "Energy".

Yesterday I started reading again about coffee and came across this thread, although it is not mentioned in the
Summaries of our health and diet research and it is not pinned as a topic in main diet and health
I think it would be worth listing it in those threads or at least pinning it.
Maybe it will help more people to find out what to drink and what not to drink.

All in all not only what we eat but also what we drink affects our body and soul.:halo:

From tomorrow I will give up drinking coffee, so far I have been drinking different types of tea, for example I like the white one "Touch of an Angel" it also gives a lot of energy.

Touches of an Angel in Fujian White tea base
White tea from Fujian province in China grows on tea bushes of the Dabai and Shui Xian Bai varieties. It is harvested in early spring. When the tea stems consist of one bud and two very young buds that have not yet developed. The leaves are then covered with a silver tinsel. The shoots are picked in this way and handed over for further tea processing, which results in one of the most classic and healthy offerings among white teas.

Ingredients: Fujian White tea, jasmine, rose petals.

Bouquet: Delicate taste of white tea with delicate jasmine and rose flower. The name Touches of an Angel speaks for itself.

Country of origin: China

Properties of white tea:

- first of all, it contains a large amount of antioxidants that delay cell aging and reduce the risk of cancer, which is why it is often called the "elixir of youth",

- it also lowers cholesterol levels, (I have been drinking it for 2 years and I confirm its effects, I have generally had blood tests every month for 2 years and have seen it work.)

- it also helps concentration, refreshes and stimulates, (It gives a lot of energy and has different flavours depending on the time of drinking after brewing.)

- improves blood circulation,

- in addition, it contains vitamin C,

- moisturises and brightens the skin.

Brewing:

Pour one teaspoon of dried tea into a cup and, depending on whether you want a mild, mellow flavour or a more pronounced one, brew in water at 65 to 75 for 2 to 5 minutes.

By the way, thank you for networking here, I can find information e.g. about coffee or other threads, even after 6 years since the last post in this thread and implement it in my life.🙏

After reading this thread again a week ago i decided to do an experiment and stop drinking coffee (i am a coffee lover, 15 years ago and even 4 cups a day). The first 2 days were difficult for me, started drinking tea, i clarify that it cost me a lot to try not to immerse myself in my partner's cup of coffee. But on the third day it was completely different, i said to myself "a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt" the problem came when taking the first sip felt some incredible nausea, and I'm not nauseous person ,often 4 times a year is A lot. So for the moment (an exact week) i am more than happy with my cup of tea and butter. In the morning feel lighter and more calm and during the day also feel more stable energy and not those ups and downs.

I found great videos on CaffeineFreeLife on Reddit : r/CaffeineFreeLife
Here they are below.

I also want to remind people that caffeine can be found in : coffee, tea, ice tea, chocolate, cocoa, matcha, guarana, caffeine powders, energy drinks (such as monster or red bull), sports pre-workout, ...

And those threes are from Paul Saladino on youtube, a MD :

Is tea BS??

This might break some hearts

Why I don't drink Coffee!

And one from Anthony Chaffee on youtube, he is also a MD :

What About Coffee, Tea, and Caffeine on a Keto/Carnivore Diet?

Yesterday i decided to stop to drink coffee, just that ! :wow:

@hiker posted the following "eye opener" article in the EMF Exposure thread, and i finally spent almost all of the afternoon reading it + watching the couple of videos in it, here is the article :

My story is a bit funny because it's like if i prepared it without knowing i would arrive to this decision. Early December, 4 months before (exactly it was the 9/12/23 because i talked about on TG and found the first time i mentionned it) i used chicory instead of coffee, i remembered that my mother used to drink some chicory instead of coffee when i was young (a known belgian named Pacha, brand which was bought by a french one - here is a wiki link to the story, but it's in french)
It's not perfect because as the chicory is roasted it lost almost all its benefits but anyway, i found that i had an old pack of chicory here in my cuboard and used it.

Here's a french article i read the day after comparing chicory with coffee :
Quelles sont les différences entre la chicorée et le café ?
... and for those who want to read it in english, here's the link to its auto-translation to english :)

Thus, from this date, i started to mix coffee and chicory, starting first wich a cup of coffee, then the second cup is chicory. During the afternoon i sometimes made a mix of both and avoided to drink coffee the evening. I did not notice a special change and from what i read on the article it's normal because i was still daily drinking at least one cup of coffee per day, sometimes 2.

But this i what i find funny to consider, that it was done in 2 steps without any plan made. Even if the decision to stop to drink coffee is from today, the first day i started to drink chicory i knew i would stick on it, and today, i know that i'll stick on my decision to stop coffee (I'm not saying this to be pretentious, just a kind of inner feeling).

In fact yesterday i was a little bit "amazed" that i did not figure it out yet, i was unable to work, like if i was puzzled by understanding that the coffee is bad for me (and bad in general for anyone i would say).

I also searched a little bit on thread with "coffee" in the title. Finally found this thread which is the biggest one.
Side note : if one admin has the time, there are a couple of "coffee threads" that could be consolidated under this thread in order to avoid the subject to be scattered on the forum.

Here are 2 quotes from @Laura in the thread named "A question for coffee lovers" :
I'm a coffee lover but I can't drink it anymore because of the ill effects it has on me. After years of running on coffee, I found that giving it up was a good thing. My brain power was more steady, stable, and persistent.

It's amazing to me how much better my brain works without it.

This gave me hope when i read that yesterday, not that i'm unhappy of how my brain functions, but i feel i could do better if i would pay more attention to my habits (generally spoken) and the article linked above on coffee was, as written above, an "eye opener" ... like the final step of a demonstration or a theorem.

Now i'll "discover" if it changes things within me during the coming days & weeks - i'll also try to avoid anything that contains caffeine too and will continue to search for alternative because i do not think that the actual "Pacha" chicory i use as replacement is the best and as it's a daily habit, I prefer to keep digging into the subject and introduce a new good habit and drink something which is good for my body - for instance I like the one named "Brothee", based on gelatinised bone broth that was posted in a 2016 thread and i already found where i could order such gelatinised bone broth (found one link/farmer in France/Normandie, for those who are interrested)

And who knows, maybe the final step will be to drink ... water ! :lol:

That's all so far - the last step was to come here and testimony about, that is done too :-)

Last edited:
That's all so far - the last step was to come here and testimony about, that is done too :-)
Welcome to the club.

I have been on an off coffee for a long time.

I quit for a month in last October. Then on again, limiting it to two cups. And I'm off again since January the 13th.
I too feel that this time it's for good. It really makes me to much tired when I'm on it.

Back
Top Bottom