The Living Force
Q: (Joe) Another question from the forum about Kantek: There's a generally held view by most people that the asteroid belt is a planet that exploded. The problem is that there isn't enough material in the asteroid belt to explain the mass of the planet. It's like only 2 or 3% of the planet. So people on the forum have been discussing how there could be so little material left. Where did the other 97% of the material go?
A: Much of it was disintegrated into dust and ejected from the solar system.
Q: (Joe) Somebody also did calculations on the amount of energy released from the explosion of a planet and it should have had catastrophic effects on most of the other planets in the solar system...
A: It did.
@Joe, thanks for including this question in the latest session! That answers that, then. Kantek was absolutely pulverized, and radiation pressure ejected the vast majority of the dust from the solar system.
So much dust being produced at once would presumably have had an impact on the Earth's climate. Even though it was ultimately removed from the solar system, initially it would have been ejected at high velocity, and some fraction would presumably have found its way to the inner solar system. Might be interesting to look for a sudden global cooling event 309k years ago.
I also wonder if such events happen elsewhere. An exploding planet is energetic enough that it would be detectable with modern astronomical instrumentation. Even if we don't catch the event itself, the after-effects - a giant dust ring forming around the star - would certainly be detectable. Tabby's Star, for instance, has been a real head-scratcher for astronomers due to what looks like a giant, asymmetrical debris cloud occulting the star in a very weird way.