Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I know some have already mentioned the need for less sleep, but it's odd... I still feel alert with few hours of sleep. Or have two sleeps in one night.

monotonic said:
Well, I've gotten up to 10 capsules per meal and I have to wonder whether I will recover from stomach acid deficiency before my two 90-capsule bottles are out. Half of one is already gone. At this rate they may both be gone in less than a week! I haven't found out how long it usually takes to get over this.

I topped out at 9-648 mg capsules. All I tolerate now is about 1 capsule per 20g of protein. I can't say that I really understand what that was all about, but my brain is still working better. (My GI tract is another story - I hope you don't have the problems I am having.)

I did find this however which links HCl deficiency to histamine sensitivity:

Gastric analysis with histamine stimulation was performed on 40 patients with chronic hives (urticaria). Approximately 65% of the patients had either hypochlorhydria or achlorhydria. Of the patients with reduced acid output, 65% obtained almost complete or partial relief of symptoms with hydrochloric acid (HCl) therapy. These patients previously had been unresponsive to all other forms of treatment. The best results were obtained in the 22 patients with achlorhydria. In this group, 18 patients (82%) were almost completely relieved by HCl therapy. In another report, administration of dilute HCl altered the putrefactive flora ordinarily present in the small intestine of achlorhydric individuals.

According to the second report, therapeutic use of dilute HCl has fallen into disrepute, largely on theoretical grounds. However, many capable internists and dermatologists remain convinced, on the basis of clinical experience, that acid therapy is beneficial. [Rawls WB, Ancona VC. Chronic urticaria associated with hypochlorhydria or achlorhydria. Rev Gastroenterol 1951;18:267]

I'm a little confused. Betaine HCL (hydrochloride) is a salt. Were these experimenters actually using dilute HCL? Wow.

I was thinking of how I would find research material for this issue and I noticed that that quotation was from 1951. Procedures back then probably were called something different. So I did a search on "hydrochloric acid therapy" and found this interesting collection of articles from the 30's:

http://www.alternativewholistichealth.com/files/Hydrochloric_Acid_Therapy_1_.pdf

monotonic said:
I was thinking of how I would find research material for this issue and I noticed that that quotation was from 1951. Procedures back then probably were called something different. So I did a search on "hydrochloric acid therapy" and found this interesting collection of articles from the 30's:

http://www.alternativewholistichealth.com/files/Hydrochloric_Acid_Therapy_1_.pdf

Interesting. Looking at the first article, this piece was actually written as well-crafted English prose. I don't see much of that these days in the scientific world. It's rather scary to read, too. It is also interesting how we have gone from an understanding of the critical role of stomach acid to, today, "the age of antacids." One might almost begin to suspect that this change might have been by design.

But sure enough, they were using dilute hydrochloric acid, with other things thrown in. I'll stick with my betaine HCL, thank you.

Gertrudes said:
Gawan said:
Positive update . Now everything is back to normal:

Very good to hear that!

Gawan said:
What I forgot to mention I took some days back also black tea out of my diet, since this is what I never tested after testing again butter and eggs.

I had a really bad experience with black tea...I don't even want to get near caffeine again.
A few years ago, when I started to change my diet with the first elimination protocols from the forum, I cut out coffee and black tea. Although up until then I didn't want to admit it, I somehow knew that they both messed up with my system making me jittery, nervous, and irritable. Basically, they would help trigger too many emotional ups and downs.

Two years ago I drank a cup of black tea and fell into the temptation of going back to it. Thing is, I love coffee and black tea. One cup of black tea a day turned into two, then three, and so on.... it got to a point where I felt that my emotional balance was seriously being affected.
Due to several life stressors, this May my health crashed and I did a cortisol then test that came up as very high. This was a big wake up call because I could barely function, on all levels. What I did notice then, is how whenever I drank black tea all symptoms became aggravated, and the only thing I could do was to lie down on my bed.

It is true that black tea wasn't the sole responsible for this, there were many other emotional and physical stressors that caused me to go downhill, but the truth is that I experienced how in my body black tea simply exacerbated everything.

Maybe you aren't as sensitive to caffeine as I am, but I do feel uneasy knowing that you are diabetic, and that caffeine may potentially be destabilising your blood sugar. Just a thought, fwiw.

Gawan said:
I really don't know, but I don't like lard. Fat needs always to be packed into something: be it tea or in the meat.

It may take a little of getting used to :) in Portugal we cook everything with olive oil, and oil, and my husband was very attached to their taste. Since we learned how oil, and olive oil when heated, can do so much damage to your health, we introduced lard, beef dripping, duck fat, goose fat, ghee, butter, and some occasional coconut oil. I loved it from the beginning, but my husband struggled. At first, he'd eat while squeezing his face into a grimace, but now, he doesn't want anything but animal fat!

There are several different sources of fat, maybe you could carry on adding butter, or even ghee or coconut oil to your tea, but start introducing other sources for cooking? Besides, out of all sources of solid fat, butter is the least ideal since it reaches its burning point sooner than all others.

ADDED: I do understand your love for butter though, I could eat a whole stick of it every day! In fact, I have done it in the past, but noticed, trough changes in my skin, that it was not such a good fat source for me, unfortunately. But do I love its taste...

Thank you for your input Gertrudes! As soon as I get a chance I like to try lard and test it and to use different fat for cooking does sound good too.

Psyche said:
Hi Ariadna,

If you are repeating your blood tests, make sure to add (or ask) for ferritin, Total Iron Binding Capacity, iron and transferrin.

Getting off prescription drugs might add some more stress, but I think once you are adjusted, you might see that is was worth it. Also, night shifts are particularly stressful on the body.

If body iron levels are high, then vitamin C will have to be removed. But I hope it comes back normal!

Was there "nitrates" in your urine test? Might be worth correlating that with urinary symptoms like a burning sensation when you pee or stuff like that.

I think some extra magnesium (around 800mg throughout the day) will help you with the symptoms. Anyway, glad you feel better!

Hi, Psyche!
I have my blood tests:

Cholesterol 232 mg / dl
Triglycerides: 63
HDL Cholesterol: 63
LDL Cholesterol: 156
Uric Acid: 4.7
Creatinine: 0.85
Bilirubin: 1.10

Erythrocytes: 4.69
Hemoglobin: 14
Hematocrit: 42
Proteinogram: 6.50g/dl
Iron: 95
Transferrin: 283
Ferritin: 65
Iron Binding Capacity: 23.8%

The other indicators are similar to the above, I think.
How do you see?
Cholesterol is significantly higher than two months ago, I think. Besides fat intake in July and August have not gone to my swimming lessons, this might be the main cause.
I worry a bit these cholesterol oxidation and it alleged. There is always some degree of stress for some reason or another.
Thanks you very much! :hug2:

Ariadna said:
Cholesterol is significantly higher than two months ago, I think. Besides fat intake in July and August have not gone to my swimming lessons, this might be the main cause.
I worry a bit these cholesterol oxidation and it alleged. There is always some degree of stress for some reason or another.

I think your cholesterol looks pretty good. Yeah, some might argue that the LDL is high, but your triglycerides are low and HDL is relatively high. That is a very good indication. That means that there is a good chance that your LDL cholesterol is composed of "hard to oxidize" compounds. It is also reassuring to see that you don't have iron overload, so there is less chance for your cholesterol to get oxidized. All in all, I think you are doing good chemical/lab wise. I hope you are feeling better as you transition. :flowers:

Yes, thanks, I feel better. Now I braked a little animal fat, and getting some more carbohydrates (instant mashed potatoes, cassava, rice) and take more fish, and large jets virgin olive oil, avocado. I'll gradually introducing animal fats again and buckwheat crackers with butter. Let's see if "cooled a bit this liver". When I become more stabilized and begins to eat more ... now I a little hungry and almost always I have at the nape that feeling of lack of food. I have apple cider vinegar and homemade fermented vegetables prepared to accompany my meals fat. I also try milk thistle.
Thank you again for your help! ;)

Ariadna said:
Yes, thanks, I feel better. Now I braked a little animal fat, and getting some more carbohydrates (instant mashed potatoes, cassava, rice) and take more fish, and large jets virgin olive oil, avocado. I'll gradually introducing animal fats again and buckwheat crackers with butter. Let's see if "cooled a bit this liver". When I become more stabilized and begins to eat more ... now I a little hungry and almost always I have at the nape that feeling of lack of food. I have apple cider vinegar and homemade fermented vegetables prepared to accompany my meals fat. I also try milk thistle.
Thank you again for your help! ;)

You might want to drop the rice, Ariadna, if you can. Or at least, the first thing to change when stabilize and adapt. Not sure about cassava, either. But see how it all goes.

By the way, I agree with Psyche, your blood test looks pretty good, especially your triglycerides.

@Gawan:
I think I've mentioned it before, probably the main thing you need to look out for is not to do intermittent fasting too much, compared to the rest of us, as you have Type 1 diabetes. In other words, you need to keep aware and eat as you need when the signs tell you. I, and many others, only eat two meals a day, for example, but this would probably be a bad idea for you. I've been eating two meals for about two years and I'm never hungry - I just eat because I have to - and I'm not sure how long I would have to go without eating to actually get hungry. But your situation is completely different, so that's one of the main things you have to keep in mind, I think, is that you eat enough meals. Just wanted to put that out again.

I had some coffee this weekend. I ground it myself and brewed it in an Aeropress brewing machine. Sadly it is made of plastic but I was too curious to try the contraption (they say it's BPA free and heat resistant :/). 1 cup on Saturday morning and 1 cup in the morning and another in the afternoon on Sunday.

I did NOT feel any boost in energy whatsoever. I drank it slowly and purposefully thus maybe any negative effects on cognition were reduced by the conscious awareness. I noted a difficulty in concentrating on reading, which frustrated me as well. Salivary glands were overactive as well throughout the day. That's always a sign that it may be a problem food for me. I might consider having coffee on days when I work out or do more physical activity, but I feel for productive mental activity it's a no-go. Will see how I fare next weekend without it.

On the high-fat diet everything seems to be going well, I'm doing quite alright with 2 meals a day. My taste experience of lard has improved exponentially. It just tastes wonderful now, especially if it's rendered at low heat and not allowed to burn. Morning meals are as usual 2 eggs and some bacon or sausage, at night I have some broth or a bit of meat with fat. I have breakfast around 6-7 am on workdays. On weekends I don't have a fixed time for breakfast, maybe eating a little later in the morning instead. Eat dinner as early as I can, before 8 at night but on work days I sometimes eat at 8 or 9 pm. I reduce my portions (I may not be getting "adequate" protein on some days) when I eat that late as too much food leads to an uncomfortable feeling of food sitting in the stomach.

Also, I still have some excess fat on the belly I'd like to reduce but I'm not to concerned with that.

monotonic said:
Well, I've gotten up to 10 capsules per meal and I have to wonder whether I will recover from stomach acid deficiency before my two 90-capsule bottles are out. Half of one is already gone. At this rate they may both be gone in less than a week! I haven't found out how long it usually takes to get over this. I did find this however which links HCl deficiency to histamine sensitivity:

I started taking Betaine HCL in 2007 after it being recommended to me by a 114 year old man(self proclaimed). I asked him how long I would need to take the pills. He said I would know when to stop. I have tried a couple of times finding out that there is still a need to take some. I am at one pill a day now, taken with breakfast.(7/8 strips of fatty bacon cooked in two tablespoons of ghee, turmeric, black pepper, add 1 egg near the end and salt to taste.) I have gone all day with no snacks and not felt any hunger, many times on this diet. Have lost 110 lbs and have been stable weight wise since 2009.

It has been the last two/three years, going very low carbs, which has brought the greatest healing to my physical body. Before that I was doing the paleo style of eating..... no processed foods....

I firmly believe it to be a life long choice of eating VLCKD. I only wish I could have started this diet 60 years ago!

Relatives who have not seen me since before 2005/stroke have no idea who I am, at family gatherings.

There has been no need for hand lotion these days and my skin looks very shiny/glowing.

The flushing action has turned to a more normal situation unless I ingest too many carbs. Due to having my appendices removed it doesn't take much to throw the balance out(gut bacteria).

The aspirin was blocking my body's ability to produce the chemicals which it uses to control blood pressure. Dropping taking 1-81mg aspirin a day(June 24, 2013) has allowed me to quit taking the statin drugs as my BP can once again be controlled by my system.

A wise/knowledgeable person can understand that what we are taught to believe as truth is nothing more than a pack of lies promoted by self serving corporate interests. Going forward from this position makes one question all current health and diet recommendations put out by any official or worker within that system.

I went to the Dr in 2003. He advised me to take a baby aspirin a day as I was getting on in years. In 2005 my BP was out of control and I suffered a paralyzing stroke. I then had to take statin drugs to control the BP as well as an aspirin a day. Today I am free from all those lies.

Do not trust that authoritative figures like Doctors have the best information for you, healthy eating wise.

PS: on a side note, I was sitting in the dark the other day and noticed the blood veins in my arms seemed to have a glow to them. I had to take a second look and yes, I could see the veins clear as day. Now sitting in daylight my arms look normal. They get somewhat like that in the dark now, but no where near as defined or bright as that one evening.

Since going no to almost no-carb I have, unbelievably, gained some fat in between my ribs. My cheeks have rounded out and my wrists aren't so bony. My skin is still terribly dry and my lips still peel constantly like old paint, but they don't bleed and sting most of the time like they used to. I think getting my stomach acid under control is a big step towards healing my most difficult problems. I think my stomach acid deficiency may have been the reason I had such a terrible time. My symptoms had already started before I reduced my carbs. Digestive enzymes did not work well because they simply didn't have enough HCI. Until now I've been getting along by using strong antioxidants (Vitamin C, magnesium) as laxatives, where conventional laxatives were surprisingly ineffective. So, I would strongly urge anyone going into the diet to get their stomach acid up BEFORE going low-carb. The stress of that in my case actually seems to have driven my acid even lower and made the problem worse.

I've found that since taking all this HCI I've become much thirstier. Maybe a chloride deficiency was preventing my body from absorbing water.

I think I will run out of HCI tomorrow and I'm still on 10 capsules a day. I think I will divide it up so it will last longer. I got up to 13 capsules with no obvious issues, but I decided to go back to 10 because it seemed to be affecting my brain and I also wanted the HCI to last longer.

Since I have cut out all carbs sticking with broth, meats, pure butter and animal fats with the occasional fig, date or banana. I have had little desire for veggies. I have gone from around 105lbs/106lbs down to around 90lbs in a couple of weeks. :O :shock:
I am not liking this new look of mine. As I feel I look even more like 'easy prey'. :scared:

I had such high hopes for curves! :( Though, I feel I have more energy and am clearer in thinking. :)

I have had always a hard time keeping and gaining weight my whole life, the heaviest I have weighed was when I ran cross country in H.S. and was at 107lbs -108lbs.

I am wondering how I can gain back what I have lost. I have tryed to adjust the fat to protein I am in taking without any success. If anyone has any ideas that I can try, I am open!

NinaMosi said:
Since I have cut out all carbs sticking with broth, meats, pure butter and animal fats with the occasional fig, date or banana. I have had little desire for veggies. I have gone from around 105lbs/106lbs down to around 90lbs in a couple of weeks. :O :shock:
I am not liking this new look of mine. As I feel I look even more like 'easy prey'. :scared:

I had such high hopes for curves! :( Though, I feel I have more energy and am clearer in thinking. :)

I have had always a hard time keeping and gaining weight my whole life, the heaviest I have weighed was when I ran cross country in H.S. and was at 107lbs -108lbs.

I am wondering how I can gain back what I have lost. I have tryed to adjust the fat to protein I am in taking without any success. If anyone has any ideas that I can try, I am open!

Hi NinaMosi,

I wouldn't worry too much about your weight - let the body do its own thing. Over time you will settle where your body needs to be. You already realized that your body feels better now - I think that is the main thing!

As to be an "easy prey" - I don't think that this correlates well with body weight! It is more an internal state of mind: If you don't want to be prey, you will prepare/ behave in a way conducive to that goal and thus you won't be. To be prey is a choice, to which you can say no and do the appropriate things to minimize that.

Hope that helps!

One other thing - I've noticed that after taking HCI, my body really seems to like black tea.

Back
Top Bottom