Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

I absolutely understand, and appreciate what you are saying. And I am acting on your advice.

Like those others mentioned, I have always jumped into everything. In certain situations in the distant past I think it probably helped me e.g. going into a religion, gaining fanatical adherent or evangelic status, then seeing the illusion crumble before me, and getting out. To me that's like rushing into a negative building through the front door, searching every room so there can be no mistake, then rushing straight out the back door, never to return. If perhaps I had lingered in the lobby,enjoying the pictures on the wall, or sat down in the dining room for a meal, I might have stayed in the house too long - long enough for the less desirable forces to anchor themselves in me.

That sounded, to me, like a really effective metaphor until I typed it :/

It has always been about running out of time for me. Now I don't feel the need to rush so much.

I can't recall exactly what book in The Wave series it is, and I apologise if my paraphrase isn't as accurate as it might be, but Ark expressed concern over whether him and Laura would have enough time to fulfill their mission. Should they move the transmission location etc. The Cs answer, how I interpreted it, was to say that if you want to complete the mission then you will have plenty of time to do so. In other words forget about time, just let it unfold.

That spoke to me. That's why I have stopped reading the KD thread, have started reading the LWB thread, and will return to KD after LWB. I've also bought the LWB, and Primal Mind ... books. It will all take me weeks, if not months, but I would be a fool not to take that route.

I haven't exactly mastered the fear of running out of time - far from it - but I am able to listen to you all and act on your advice. I am helped to do that by the fact that clearly you live by example. That's easy to see in what you all say, and how you say it, in your posts.

I appreciate this.

Hello Vic -

At the risk of being repetitive, I would like to chime in on the 'go slow' theme. If I remember rightly you're in your 50s? Just think that for all those 50-odd years your body has been used to getting its energy from carbs. The metabolic pathways are pretty firmly entrenched! Not to mention that a carb-based diet takes its toll on the body. That isn't going to change overnight - far from it.

In that age group the general recommendation (if memory serves) is to reduce your carbs slowly over a period of 6-8 weeks. Even then there may be a period of low energy before the fat metabolism really comes on-line. I know that quite a few people experienced that.

I'd like to add that going paleo is really worth it. Switching to a paleo diet saved me from post-viral fatigue - it was the only thing that did. The doc wanted me to take anti-depressants! I've been eating paleo now since December 2011. There's been a few hiccups along the way, but every time I've found that I feel so much better when going back to a basic paleo diet.

My diet now is essentially bacon, eggs and butter. I'm not weighing everything but I guess I'm eating around 200g butter every day, in three servings. My largest meal is breakfast, which consists of bacon and eggs and butter and some of the lard the eggs were cooked in. Carbs are very low, maybe a few grams: a bit at breakfast and a bit at lunch. One has to experiment to find the right amount of carbs for the individual situation. Some do well on zero carbs, some on more. It's an individual thing.

Please really take the time to thoroughly read the big three paleo books as recommended and study the experiences of others who have done it. Having the knowledge of what to look out for and how to deal with issues that may arise will really help you in the long run.

I'm enjoying reading Life Without Bread, Endymion. Learning really is fun :)

I think your cholesterol looks pretty good. Yeah, some might argue that the LDL is high, but your triglycerides are low and HDL is relatively high. That is a very good indication. That means that there is a good chance that your LDL cholesterol is composed of "hard to oxidize" compounds. It is also reassuring to see that you don't have iron overload, so there is less chance for your cholesterol to get oxidized. All in all, I think you are doing good chemical/lab wise. I hope you are feeling better as you transition. :flowers:
[/quote]

Hello friends,
I feel better, stronger. I spent the pothole. Although I keep losing weight ( 61.5kg last ). That worries me a little. My height is 1.64 cms and I weighed 73 kgr in the last 12 years.
At this time, I back up more fats in the diet, today for example :

-Breakfast : 1 egg fried and strips of bacon , tea with little rice milk (30cl). A small piece of sweet potato. 1 to 2 buckwheat crackers with butter and blackberries.
-Lunch: A piece of fatty meat, braised cabbage, mashed potatoes, green beans. Everything cooked with butter and olive oil. One small piece of fruit.
-Afternoon : Green tea. Sometimes 1 or 2 buckwheat crackers and butter. A piece of coconut.
-Night : Salmon cooked in butter, fried cassava (few), olives, green beans with olive oil and a small piece of fruit .

Often there is also bone broth at lunch or dinner.

Although it seems these are many carbohydrates, I care not to take more than 5 or 6 servings of carbohydrates a day .
Mainly I want to go safe , because I do not want to hurt my body . Now, when it comes time to eat and I feel upset (headache , moodiness ... ) if I'm late. I wonder if my body is working with ketones or lives of those 6 servings of carbohydrates. I don't lack strength with activity that I have , but in winter this activity increases.
Also, my skin is more hydrated and brighter and my brain seems to be more active, at least I have no memory lapses that appeared occasionally before ...names of people, for example.
My mood has been a bit low the last few days , but today I feel well, vital .

I took one capsule of milk thistle, 380mgr, for each meal. Vit C 1500mgr in capsule (I will increase doses 2.5 to 3 g ). Alpha lipoic acid, 250mgr. Magnesium lactate 4-6 capsules (400mgr x caps.). Glutathione 50 mgr 1 a day (sometimes I forget ). My stomach is better too.
I have at home spirulina and chlorella. I don't know if it would be a good time to take them and whether to follow the manufacturer's recommendation . It would be a good time to start coffee enemas?.

Thanks for taking my input and greetings to all! :)

Ariadna said:
Although it seems these are many carbohydrates, I care not to take more than 5 or 6 servings of carbohydrates a day .
Mainly I want to go safe , because I do not want to hurt my body . Now, when it comes time to eat and I feel upset (headache , moodiness ... ) if I'm late. I wonder if my body is working with ketones or lives of those 6 servings of carbohydrates. I don't lack strength with activity that I have , but in winter this activity increases.

I would think if you were in ketosis, you wouldn't get hungry. This is my experience (as well as quite a few others' on the forum and the literature). For over two and half years since being in nutritional ketosis, I can't remember ever feeling hungry. I eat two meals a day (about 70 to 80% of calories as saturated fat usually) just because I have to eat. I'd probably have to go a couple of days without eating to actually FEEL hungry, but I'm not sure, not having tried it. So, to answer your question, I would say it's very likely that you are in glucose burning metabolism and don't use much ketones. FWIW.

SeekinTruth said:
Ariadna said:

I would think if you were in ketosis, you wouldn't get hungry. This is my experience (as well as quite a few others' on the forum and the literature). For over two and half years since being in nutritional ketosis, I can't remember ever feeling hungry. I eat two meals a day (about 70 to 80% of calories as saturated fat usually) just because I have to eat. I'd probably have to go a couple of days without eating to actually FEEL hungry, but I'm not sure, not having tried it. So, to answer your question, I would say it's very likely that you are in glucose burning metabolism and don't use much ketones. FWIW.

I've felt hungry while being in ketosis. Granted, it can be @10 hours or more after my last meal, but hunger nonetheless. It's not the crazy, I'm gonna die if I don't eat right now feeling I would get during the high carb days. It's just a little stomach grumble and thoughts that it would be nice to have some food now type of thing. Also, I feel the need to eat more on days when I exercise.

Odyssey said:
SeekinTruth said:
Ariadna said:

I've felt hungry while being in ketosis. Granted, it can be @10 hours or more after my last meal, but hunger nonetheless. It's not the crazy, I'm gonna die if I don't eat right now feeling I would get during the high carb days. It's just a little stomach grumble and thoughts that it would be nice to have some food now type of thing. Also, I feel the need to eat more on days when I exercise.

What's mainly gone are the cravings ... as Odyssey pointed out the feeling that you need to raid the fridge. I also feel sort of hungry sometimes, a low-grade "could use some food soon", but it could well be that this is a programmed response because it tends to happen around traditional meal hours. On the other side I can go on for hours (24h if need be), if I don't have immediate access to reasonable food.

nicklebleu said:
Odyssey said:
SeekinTruth said:
Ariadna said:

What's mainly gone are the cravings ... as Odyssey pointed out the feeling that you need to raid the fridge. I also feel sort of hungry sometimes, a low-grade "could use some food soon", but it could well be that this is a programmed response because it tends to happen around traditional meal hours. On the other side I can go on for hours (24h if need be), if I don't have immediate access to reasonable food.

Thanks for your answers. Looks like I'm on that path, I will be attentive to the responses of my body. It is true that I have no craving for bread, rolls and sweet things. I thought this was going through awareness of the diet.
I also think that feeling of "hunger" also comes after a peak emotional stress or something similar. Because it's not so much the feeling of an empty stomach, but in the head, mouth (may be early signs of low blood sugar), however I did not lower blood glucose test, 80 mgr / dl. I hope I have explained well, more or less. :huh: :) :)

Earlier this week, I finally got HCl capsules. While (still) waiting for Betaine HCl to arrive, I got L-Glutamic acid-HCL which was available locally. Not optimal, I guess, but it works. I'd noticed vague signs pointing to poor digestion for a long time, but for some reason put off trying HCl for way too long. It makes a difference, and I think I begin to notice having a bit more energy.

At present I use two capsules (a bit over 1g) per meal, except one capsule for the evening bone broth.

Rhythmik said:
Is it possible to have too much sodium/salt while on KD?
I don't think so, it's been said that you excrete excess minerals at a much higher rate compared to being on a carbohydrate-based metabolism. When supplementing with salt water I usually just go by taste. I'm don't know what would happen if you went seriously overboard with the salt, but I don't understand how you could do that :huh: If it tastes too salty I've probably reached my salt requirement. You'll want to look at your potassium intake as well as they go hand in hand. I just did a search; you can check out our previous discussions on this topic: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=28799.300

Large amounts of saltwater are used to flush out the bowels in what is called a saltwater flush. The only symptom I've ever had was diarrhea.

Rhythmik said:
Is it possible to have too much sodium/salt while on KD?

Even though I sprinkle liberally salt over everything I eat and drink salt in water too, I sometimes don't get enough - I get muscle cramps. So my problem is not too much salt, but too little.

There has been much hype in mainstream medicine about salt intake being unhealthy - there are two things to mention here:

One is that there is a big difference between natural unprocessed sea salt (celtic sea salt for instance) and the commercially available "table salt" - the latter consists of sodium chloride only and has additional chemicals that prevent caking etc (some of them on a basis of aluminium, which is neurotoxic), whereas unprocessed sea salt is a "full spectrum salt" with the right balance of minerals (magnesium, potassium, trace minerals) to balance out the sodium chloride.

The other thing to mention is that even mainstream medicine has recently relaxed their low-salt recommendations after recent studies failed to show that it made a big difference ... but until that filters through to your local medicine man it probably will take a decade or two!

So my advice would be to only use unprocessed sea salt - and plenty of it!

I've started adding a handful of shredded coconut to my green tea right after the water heats up. This seems to extract the oil from the coconut and it seems to be extremely energizing for me. This way you don't have the eat the fiber, which becomes tasteless afterwards anyways. I get a similar effect eating the coconut itself, and not if I drink the tea alone. I've used black tea, green tea tips and oolong (all sweetened with Stevia) so far and they all taste great, though the greener ones are more fruity and less earthy than my preference. After I had some tea this morning I was full of energy and wrote 3 or 4 pages in my sketchbook-size journal that I may post, inspired by ISOTM that I'm reading currently, along with the resonance and impressions stuff that I'm always on about. What was most interesting though was the shift in attitude. After drinking the tea, reading more suddenly seemed to be a very interesting and fun thing to do. I have a lot of exciting ideas when reading this specific book which I think is because of all the unique ideas G gives and the no-nonsense way they are presented.

I don't think it's the caffeine, because I've only started drinking tea this way recently and usually only one glass a day.

I wonder if the oil in shredded coconut is not the best way, since in that form for me it does wonders. At the same time it has me questioning whether I can thrive at all on butter as my dietary fat that I've had so far.

I'm still taking 10 capsules of HCI.

I eat arround 20 g of salt per day. Recently, I had a blood test. I don't remenber the numbers but it was in what they call the normal range.

FWIW

Back
Top Bottom