Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Vic said:
Thanks for the tips, Win52. That swollen, stuffed feeling has plagued me most of my life. Right from a kid eating cornflakes I have had stomach problems. Three months ago I stopped eating wheat and gluten. It worked to a large degree. A particular pain I always had stopped happening. I still get the swollen gut syndrome though - after I have eaten carbs. I have reduced them a lot, but don't think I am down to the recommended maximum yet.

It's great to hear that you don't have that anymore. Living proof.

Thanks again.
Take you time Vic, allow your body to acclimatise to the newly arriving situation. And, move forward slowly. As has been said before, those of us that went through the transition did so over a long period of time, moving from one learning to the next learning to arrive at we are we are now.

Will do, PS. The fear of running out of time has been very much reduced since arriving here. That's impacting not only on my dietary transition, but in other aspects of my daily activities. My wife is reaping the benefits too - I always justified my hyperactivity by saying that we have different paces - I, born a Londoner, and she born out in the sticks, meant that my pace is much quicker. Looking back I can see it was, I was, draining her, poor love :) I apologised to her this morning.

And the hyperactive, quick-paced, high-energy, go-get-'em-tiger, edgy london boy, was mere anxiety - fear.

Just cooking some organic chicken with added butter and coconut oil. Yummie.

Research about sirtuins was mentioned earlier in this thread and in Life Without Bread and Longevity and Nicotinamide riboside. Some of the health books go into more detail including Primal Body, Primal Mind.

The sirtuin family of genes works by protecting and improving the health and function of mitochondria. They are positively influenced by a diet that is non-glycating, i.e. a low carb diet since a high carb diet induces mitochondrial dysfunction and formation of reactive oxygen species.

Here is an update from Cell Research (2013) 23:1073–1074 which further supports the concept that a ketogenic diet enhances sirtuin activity.

_http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v23/n9/full/cr201394a.html?WT.ec_id=CR-201309

Sirtuins have received a lot of attention in biological functions associated with metabolism, survival development, and most recently, neurodegeneration. The versatile role of sirtuins can be readily redirected for drug discovery studies for novel treatment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), as presented in this highlight, by sirtuin-mediated ketogenic responses influencing mitochondrial function.

Modulation of sirtuin activity has been shown to impact the course of several aggregate-forming neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer's disease (AD), Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and spinal and bulbar muscular atrophy. Sirtuin proteins possess either mono-ribosyltransferase or deacetylase activity. Sirtuins have been linked with caloric restriction (CR) and aging by modulating energy metabolism, genomic stability and stress resistance. [...]

Mammals contain seven sirtuins (SIRT1-7) that occupy different subcellular compartments [...] Mitochondrial sirtuins (SIRT3, 4 and 5) play an important role in cellular ROS defense and mitochondrial energy metabolism. Moreover, SIRT3 has been shown to be regulated by PGC-1α, which can promote mitochondrial biogenesis and is associated with ROS suppression and neuroprotection2,3.

Although the effect of sirtuin proteins on aging has been challenged4, sirtuin enzymes are still potential therapeutic targets in a variety of human diseases including cancer, diabetes, inflammatory disorders and neurodegenerative diseases, including ALS. ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Mutations in SOD1, TDP43, FUS, UBPLN2 and C9ORF72 have been identified in familial ALS cases, although the majority (~90%) of ALS cases are sporadic. ALS patients have been documented to have impaired energy balance. This defect in energy metabolism has been linked to lower activities of mitochondrial electron transport chain enzymes in ALS spinal cord5, and improving mitochondrial function may represent a therapeutic approach for ALS. Our recent findings suggest that medium chain triglyceride (MCT) treatment could lead to an increased blood ketone level, protect motor neuron loss and attenuate ALS-type motor impairment, possibly through promoting oxygen consumption rate6.

Altered sirtuin levels have been observed in both SOD1-G93A mouse models7 and patient tissue [8], suggesting that the sirtuin family may be a disease target both in ALS mouse models and humans. Although treatment with dietary resveratrol, a SIRT1 activator, was not sufficient to exert any impact on disease outcomes, intraperitoneal injection of resveratrol led to a significant improvement in both symptoms and survival in the SOD1-G93A mouse model of ALS [7]. These different findings may be due to the short half-life of resveratrol as well as different routes of administration. Recent studies identified SIRT3 as a relevant player in ALS pathogenesis using a cell-based model. SIRT3 was shown to protect against mitochondrial fragmentation and neuronal cell death induced by SOD1-G93A overexpression9. Moreover, PGC-1α, which has been shown to promote SIRT32, showed the same effect as SIRT3 in this model. Interestingly, SIRT3 was also shown to regulate ketone body production by deacetylating mitochondrial 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA synthase 2 (HMGCS2)10. This evidence may be consistent with our recent pilot study showing the elevation of mitochondrial sirtuin expression in MCT-treated primary motor neuron cultures and in the spinal cord of SOD1-G93A mice following MCT treatment (Pasinetti lab, unpublished data). Based on the above information, we hypothesize that MCT might regulate mitochondrial activity and cell survival through sirtuin-mediated responses. The mechanisms that we are proposing for targeting sirtuins in ALS pathogenesis are diagrammed in Figure 1. [...]

cr201394f1.jpg

Scheme of targeting sirtuins in ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) pathogenesis. Sirtuins inhibit mitochondrial fragmentation and promote ketone body level. Medium chain triglyceride increases both sirtuin expression and ketone body level in SOD1-G93A mouse model of ALS.

More info at _http://www.nature.com/cr/journal/v23/n9/full/cr201394a.html?WT.ec_id=CR-201309

Hello,
I think I need a little help, or at least share.
I'm following the adaptation to the ketogenic diet, now less carbohydrate consumption, approximately 3-4 servings per day. I no longer feel hunger pangs despite having not eaten in 6 or 7 hours. I feel no weakness.
But now I have stomach pain after eating and sometimes before the next meal. Sometimes I feel like a weight or a ball into my stomach and I generates lots of gas. Sometimes the pain radiates to the back and scapula .. I guess it will be gas pressure.
I think that besides fat intake could be compressed intake of Vit C (1500g), seem pretty hard, or magnesium. Now I am also taking milk thistle.
I've thought about buying Betaine HCl. But in the meantime I get to start taking a little sauerkraut with every meal.
I would not want to turn back again. I do not know if I should do something more or different.
Thanks for your advice and help.
A greeting and a hug.

Ariadna said:
I've thought about buying Betaine HCl.

Sounds like you are low on stomach acid, so I think that Betaine HCl would be a good idea, maybe with some ox bile to go with it. Another thing is to avoid lots of fluid during the meal - I usually have a big glass of water around 30 min before I'm eating. If you take fluid with your meals you further dilute your stomach acid and reduce acidity. This way your lower stomach muscle doesn't open and can't let the food pass through into the intestine.

Sauerkraut is probably helpful as well - just give it a go and see what happens.

The other thing is time - the transition can take quite some time. I am now around 18 months in Ketosis, and have been doing the low-carb thing for close to three years, and I still have problems with indigestion sometimes. I regularly use Betaine with every meal. Leg cramps took around 24 months to disappear.

So you can see ... steady as she goes!

nicklebleu said:
Sounds like you are low on stomach acid, so I think that Betaine HCl would be a good idea, maybe with some ox bile to go with it.

Another trick is to add some apple cider vinegar to meals, it helps to digest food when there is low stomach acidity. Hope it helps.

Thanks for your advice Nickleblue and Psyche! I put into practice in the next meal. :D

I've been into bodybuilding and I never thought I was able to find, one expert that agree with these type of diet. Ben Pakulski one of the top 5 bodybuilders in the world, has a nutritional plan where he explains very simply things about insulin, cortisol and the effects of carbs on diet.

Just passing by, if any of you are interested into resistance training and having a low carb diet:

_http://youtu.be/q4e5NhUCAJE
is the best breakfast low carb?

_http://youtu.be/WPIWsQhZ9CM
what to eat before, during, after workout?

_http://youtu.be/zt9LW_FmP88
gluten free bodybuilding

_http://youtu.be/sBBf-iEVy7A
the paleo diet in bodybuilding

Found this interresting article - animal research, but nevertheless revealing ...

Inter-relationships among Diet, Obesity and Hippocampal-dependent Cognitive Function.

Davidson TL, et al.
Neuroscience. 2013 Aug 30. pii: S0306-4522(13)00732-X. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2013.08.044. [Epub ahead of print]

Affiliation
Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, American University, Washington, DC. Electronic address: terryd@american.edu.

Abstract
Intake of a Western diet (WD), which is high in saturated fat and sugar, is associated with deficits in hippocampal-dependent learning and memory processes as well as with markers of hippocampal pathology. In the present study, rats were trained to asymptote on hippocampal-dependent serial feature negative (FN) and hippocampal-independent simple discrimination problems. Performance was then assessed following 7 days on ad libitum chow and after 10, 24, 40, 60, and 90 days of maintenance on WD, on ketogenic (KETO) diet which is high in saturated fat and low in sugar and other carbohydrates, or continued maintenance on chow (CHOW). Confirming and extending previous findings, diet-induced obese (DIO) rats fed WD showed impaired FN performance, increased BBB permeability, and increased fasting blood glucose levels compared to CHOW controls and to diet resistant (DR) rats that did not become obese when maintained on WD. For rats fed the KETO diet, FN performance and BBB integrity was more closely associated with level of circulating ketone bodies than with obesity phenotype (DR or DIO) with higher levels of ketones appearing to provide a protective effect. The evidence also indicated that FN deficits preceded and predicted increased body weight and adiposity. This research (a) further substantiates previous findings of WD-induced deficits in hippocampal-dependent feature negative discriminations, (b) suggests that ketones may be protective against diet-induced cognitive impairment, and (c) provides evidence that diet-induced cognitive impairment precedes weight gain and obesity.

Added: BBB = blood brain barrier

Prometeo said:
I've been into bodybuilding and I never thought I was able to find, one expert that agree with these type of diet. Ben Pakulski one of the top 5 bodybuilders in the world, has a nutritional plan where he explains very simply things about insulin, cortisol and the effects of carbs on diet.

Just passing by, if any of you are interested into resistance training and having a low carb diet:

gluten free bodybuilding

r/ketogains has a really good thread/FAQ on the ketogenic diet as well as it pertains to muscle gains and weight loss.

_http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_how_to_set_up_your_macros_.28with_the_ketogains_calculator.29

whitecoast said:
Prometeo said:

gluten free bodybuilding

r/ketogains has a really good thread/FAQ on the ketogenic diet as well as it pertains to muscle gains and weight loss.

_http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_how_to_set_up_your_macros_.28with_the_ketogains_calculator.29
Thanks for the links, I was wondering about how this diet could be adapted for bodybuilding.

So far since I started going really high-fat again, I've tapered fat down quite a bit, probably by 50% or so from the original 180 grams -- as I did the last time I went high-fat. I've just been eating according to feeling rather than being strict about it. I think I just felt like I didn't need that much fat. Thing is, I haven't replaced those calories with something else, but probably increased my protein intake by a bit more (haven't been totally strict on that). I've also been incorporating some green leafy stuff, mostly in hopes of helping with constipation, but it does not seem to do much good in that area. I think magnesium helps much more. I find that my blood sugar is always around 3 mmol/L and they have jumped to 5 after exercise, presumably due to glycogen stores being released. Ketone levels, the last time I tested after eating was 3.3 and the highest being 6.6 -- which was after work (a close to 12 hour fast).

One thing that may be an issue is the time I eat dinner -- my second meal of the day, which is usually around 7-9 pm depending on when I get back from work. I've been thinking making dinner as light as possible, but it's hard to overcome the urge to eat something substantially protein-rich. I don't know if my blood sugar levels are causing this urge. Maybe they are dipping too low. I also can eat 5-6 brazil nuts at dinner which doesn't sit too well with my tummy. They aren't very carb-heavy though.

Other than that I'm feeling quite well most of the time, and I am feeling increasingly able to approach self-work. I'm thinking that the approach of having a fat fast at intervals may be a good way of doing this diet instead of eating high-fat all the time. I've done a bit of bodyweight exercises recently and my muscles were very sore for the 3 or 4 days after. I will continue to do them and see how I fare.

I am unclear about caloric requirements, as I seem to be eating way less than what the standard formula seems to indicate, since I have taken out a lot of the fat. I'm not really losing any body fat either, it seems to be going up and down from what I see in the mirror.

Psyche said:
nicklebleu said:
Sounds like you are low on stomach acid, so I think that Betaine HCl would be a good idea, maybe with some ox bile to go with it.

Another trick is to add some apple cider vinegar to meals, it helps to digest food when there is low stomach acidity. Hope it helps.

Hello!
Your advice worked!. My stomach is better, and I have no pain. I got Betaine HCL and it works. Now I'm starting to take more fat again.
There is one thing that worries me. Many times I feel some tension in the jaw and I observe I usually keep jaws clenched, I thought it may be due to some level of toxicity or lack of some nutritional element.?? Or maybe the stress accumulated from previous crises in the diet and emotional think.

Again I incorporate all supplements, I did not dare to take the pill with stomach pain:
Vit C, 2 to 3 g
Magnesium
Milk Thistle
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Glutathione
Vit E
Vit B Complex 75mg
Hyaluronic acid

I have VitD3, drops, Chlorella and spirulina. I wonder if now is a good time to start taking them too. Furthermore month ago I stopped taking Tibolone and do not know if I should incorporate some extra supplements. I would appreciate your recommendation in this regard, as well as more convenient dosing.
Thank you wholeheartedly, without the help of forum members I could not carry it out. :) :hug2:

Ariadna said:
I have VitD3, drops, Chlorella and spirulina. I wonder if now is a good time to start taking them too. Furthermore month ago I stopped taking Tibolone and do not know if I should incorporate some extra supplements. I would appreciate your recommendation in this regard, as well as more convenient dosing.
Thank you wholeheartedly, without the help of forum members I could not carry it out. :) :hug2:

The jaw thing should be helped with magnesium and perhaps some potassium which we often lose in these diets. If you are drinking your bone broth, you should not be too low on it. Even though you already take magnesium, I think that night shifts are a risk for added needs. If you can't absorb more Magnesium of what you take, you could try yoga exercises for the jaw.

I managed to dislocate my temporomandibular joint due to so much jaw tension throughout the years. A Rolf massage did helped a lot. It released tension in the inner mouth and the whole jaw area. My entire face felt different after that. He recommended yoga exercises for the jaw, where you basically open your mouth widely and stick your tongue out as out as possible. It looks quite funny and I can't seem to find anything on the web right now, except perhaps for this: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giglpNB0iWA

It really helps releasing tension and it is fun to do :)

There is low dose progesterone from natural sources which addresses many symptoms for which you were taking Tibolone. You can get it without prescription, but if you live within the EU, do look for a EU source.

I tried to get some into Spain and it got rejected at the border just because they shipped it from Switzerland, a non-Shengen country.

Here is some info I synthesized not too long ago:

For severe PMS problems, adrenal fatigue, very irregular cycles such as heavy bleeding or light bleeding, uterine fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, premenstrual migrains, peri or menopausal symptoms. Please note that most issues stabilize on the diet and by minimizing toxicity, since a high carb diet and xenoestrogens (BPA, phtalates, pesticides) are at the root.

Low dose progesterone therapy which was pioneered by Dr. John R. Lee. You can check the website (Johnleemd.com) for a list of reliable creams. The protocol is as follows:

- Pre-menopause or PMS problems: from day 12 to day 26: 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon once or twice per day.

- Menopause and post-menopause: 24 to 26 days a month, 1/4 to 1/2 of teaspoon once or twice per day. It is important to have some days off as some spotting may occur (if this happens, use the PMS/Pre-menopause schedule and after 3 to 4 months of no spotting, you can resume the post-menopause schedule).

After ovulation on day 14 (that is, if we ovulate) we are supposed to produce around 20 to 30 mg of progesterone per day. The progesterone cream is usually a 2% natural progesterone, so 1/4 gives around 20mg per day. A normal low progesterone dose is of 20-60mg/day (100mg per day maximum).

You can use progesterone cream for about 2 to 3 months for experimenting purposes and then take a break or stop using it.

If you can get it, I think it will help you during this stage. :)

I know this is internal considering, but I have not so much time to read the whole thread but is someone able to give a little summarize on why to go from the paleo diet to the ketogenic diet? So I can start from there.

Ariadna said:
Many times I feel some tension in the jaw and I observe I usually keep jaws clenched, I thought it may be due to some level of toxicity or lack of some nutritional element.?? Or maybe the stress accumulated from previous crises in the diet and emotional think.

You might be what is referred to in dentistry as a "grinder" - someone who clenches his/er teeth awake and during sleep, which over time leads to teeth being ground down and it may eventually expose the inner vulnerable part (dentin) of the tooth.

I am a grinder ... :(

There are basically two strategies - a symptomatic one and a curative one.

The symptomatic consists in wearing a spint at night that 1) prevents grinding of your teeth together and thus doesn't damage them, but also changes occlusion, so that your jaw is unable to generate the same amount of force to clench your jaw together. This generally leads to less tension in the morning and kind of reduces the cycle of clenching.

The cure consists in visiting an oromyofacial therapist (which might be hard to find, depending on where you live), but they will teach you correct biting and swallowing techniques, which will eventually change the shape of your jaw (jaw bone is of a different kind than most of the other bones in your body - it will change shape during your whole life given changing forces). Myotherapists claim that grinding and teeth clenching is due - at least in part, and next to psychological issues - to a wrong shape of your jaw and incongruent biting mechanics, which they aim to correct. I had planned to take a training course on that, but haven't been able to do so far.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom