Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Hello Ariadna. I am sorry to hear of your struggles. I know conviction in one's beliefs can be hard in the face of opposition. Hang in there. :)

I have a question concerning eggs, and sausage. I have recently come to the conclusion that i am sensitive to eggs. I started to think back, and now remember that when i was little, i could not eat a lot of eggs, or sausages (store bought), as they gave me a headache, and a bad feeling. I am wondering what would be the common ingredient in them?

So I have started by eliminating all grains. Will do so for 3 weeks, before eliminating dairy (I don't have that much anyway). Got some stevia to replace sugar in my tea. Still having a coffee once every 2 days, and tea maybe 3 cups a day. Bone broth thrown in but not regularly. I am eating eggs and bacon with as much butter as I can throw in there, and about 5 pm - 6 pm I have meat with as much grizzle and fat that my local butchers will leave on my cuts of meat.
The only supplements I am taking is Magnesium powder (1 tsp twice a day) which has the following:
Active ingredients

Magnesium citrate (Magnesium 310 mg) 2 g
Taurine 500 mg
Glutamine 500 mg
Levocarnitine tartrate (Levocarnitine 100 mg) 147 mg
Calcium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous (Calcium 65 mg) 223.4 mg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 100 mg
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine nitrate) 25 mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 5 mg
Nicotinamide 25 mg
Vitamin B5
(Pantothenic acid from calcium pantothenate 50 mg) 45.8 mg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine hydrochloride) 50 mg
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 20 µg
Folic acid 150 µg
Selenomethionine (as Selenium 25 µg) 62.5 µg
Potassium aspartate (Potassium 75 mg) 362.3 mg
Chromium nicotinate (Chromium 50 µg) 400 mcg

It seems to keep the leg cramps & headaches at bay. I've felt quite tired, lethargic, a bit moody at times and yes, I am craving carbs at present, but I am holding my own (I probably haven't eaten as much fat, hence the cravings). I have noticed that my belly isn't bloated like it normally is. I am thirsty much more and I have a task trying to find where to purchase distilled water as suggested here (the supermarkets here don't have any).

davey72 said:
I have a question concerning eggs, and sausage. I have recently come to the conclusion that i am sensitive to eggs. I started to think back, and now remember that when i was little, i could not eat a lot of eggs, or sausages (store bought), as they gave me a headache, and a bad feeling. I am wondering what would be the common ingredient in them?

The only common ingredient I think it could be, is a protein. Some people are sensitive to the protein in eggs, and some store bought sausages may contain gluten, also a protein. Although with store bought sausage, it could a lot of things - food colorings, preservatives, spices, or even MSG. that cause sensitivity.

It's best to make your own sausage, with spices you are known to tolerate and ingredients you can trust. I do sometimes eat sausage in restaurants and I've never had any bad reactions, but it is a like a russian roulette.

Hello again!

Ariadna said:
Hi Friends, here again looking for advice and help to recover as soon as possible ... because sometimes I feel sad, somewhat depressed and not want to get in that circle of despair and weakness.
My flu has not been such. I'm actually recovering from Epstein Barr virus. I has been extremely weak. Absolute loss of appetite.

I'm sorry to hear this. I spent the best part of two decades fighting this & when others talk about it, those memories return, along with the feelings of that time & I just want the gloom & despair gone. Don't worry, you have options & help is at hand. Other members may lend their voice regarding the specifics of what I will say, if wrong, but I think that bone broth may be the best thing to use to address the loss of appetite. Some people try to accelerate their transition period into paleo or KD & cause damage, if you're not one of those then "tightening" your paleo diet should be your priority. The same is true if you ARE one of the above people, I just wouldn't be able to advise you as good.

Also bare in mind that there are differences between bone broth & stock, similar to the way paleo & KD are. One leads into the other, that other being the more optimal diet. If you're unsure &/or haven't already, then try this for starters: http://www.sott.net/article/257416-Stock-vs-Broth-Are-You-Confused

There are A LOT of articles on this - mainly broth - just type in "bone broth" in the search box on SOTT, or this BOARD. The crux of the matter is to strengthen & heal the gut, this can take years & people vary in the length of time. I would say just keep sipping on you're drink second thing in the morning rather than first, & depending on your fat tolerance, you just repeat as you like throughout the day. Here's why I said second rather than first thing in the morning...

Electrolytes. Noting what Gaby has posted, here's an older entry of hers & I think that what's listed is very relevant in one way or another: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,488.msg78255.html#msg78255 as well as that, all of these processes described on the forum where diet & psychology are concerned are relatively easy to forget or overlook at times. So EVERYBODY needs to re-acquaint themselves with the information periodically - I'm doing so now! - "knowledge input on a daily basis", will help HUGELY from the short-term to long-term.

A short thread but still on the topic of salt... http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=9259.0

Personally as one of those who rushed into paleo I tried to compensate by "throwing the kitchen sink" at the diet. In other words, I found everything that was pertinent to the diet & used them all together. So herbs were included even though I felt that they wouldn't do much, I read what I could & did it anyway. I don't know how much good they did - it would be in a range, subtle in some people & more noticeable in others - but I'm not in the same place as I was six months ago. Turmeric, coriander, thyme, cloves, ginger, parsley, oregano.. http://www.sott.net/article/267008-Better-than-big-pharma-5-herbs-you-cant-do-without the same applies, search this BOARD and SOTT.

I too had heart palpitations, breathing trouble & then some, but they've long since disappeared - on paleo - & that was just in the beginning of the transition. Follow Gaby's advice & those by her & Laura in the link she provided on the "heart problems" thread, you'll see why. Lastly, here's page 13 of the magnesium thread regarding electrolytes http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,2354.msg402092.html#msg402092 as always, the whole thread is worth reading & reviewing.

This might interest you http://learningherbs.com with a free e-book too!

Lilou said:
davey72 said:

The only common ingredient I think it could be, is a protein. Some people are sensitive to the protein in eggs, and some store bought sausages may contain gluten, also a protein. Although with store bought sausage, it could a lot of things - food colorings, preservatives, spices, or even MSG. that cause sensitivity.

It's best to make your own sausage, with spices you are known to tolerate and ingredients you can trust. I do sometimes eat sausage in restaurants and I've never had any bad reactions, but it is a like a russian roulette.

This is true. I have never had a problem with homemade sausage. Perhaps i am assuming that it is the same ingredient in the two because of the exactly similar reactions i got from the two of them.

I should add that i have been doing paleo for awhile now. It is only recently that i have noticed that i get a kind of fever feeling in my head, and my eyes burn from eggs. I must have gotten used to the two of them as a young adult, but now i am again noticing this sensitivity although not quite as pronounced as when i was young.
The only other concern i have is making chocolate. Most of the cocoa i get says may contain milk ingredients. I figure that butter does also, so it should be negligible depending on the person? Superstore's brand only says cocoa, and sodium bicarbonate. I have also seen fair trade cocoa from a health food store with a big list of possible trace ingredients including wheat, eggs, dairy, and soy, so i wonder if these just aren't listed in the mainstream cocoas?

Altair said:
As reader Tuscoyote noted in the forum a few months ago, researchers have found that egg protein is more bioavailable when heated. (Thanks for the NPR link, Tuscoyote!) Here’s the study referenced in that interview. The study showed that egg protein is more digestible (94% versus 55-64%) when heated, probably due to alteration of the protein’s structure and the ability of digestive enzymes to infiltrate peptide bonds.
As for drawbacks, there’s the well-circulated salmonella risk, which isn’t the dire prospect it’s often made out to be. The risk has been estimated as 1 in 10,000 (CDC) or 1 in 30,000 (Risk Analysis journal).
As you mention, eating raw eggs carries the eventual risk of a biotin deficiency. Although egg yolk is actually a rich source of biotin, the white contains avidin, a glycoprotein that bonds with biotin, preventing the nutrient’s absorption. Avidin is generally inactivated when cooked, which makes the biotin in the yolk fully available for absorption by the body.

Thanks Foxx,

I just thought that heated protein is more bioavailable. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

It IS more bioavailable when cooked. That's what the quoted text is saying. I don't know why you understood the opposite.

Altair said:
Yesterday I read articles about anti-nutrients in vegetables. It looks not so good. So my question is: which vegetables do you eat and how do you prepare them?

Thanks

Altair

Only ones we eat are green beans, lettuce, occasional beets and/or carrots, lettuce. Once in awhile, english peas. We make our own pickles and sauerkraut. We stay away from broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, etc.

Laura said:
Altair said:
As reader Tuscoyote noted in the forum a few months ago, researchers have found that egg protein is more bioavailable when heated. (Thanks for the NPR link, Tuscoyote!) Here’s the study referenced in that interview. The study showed that egg protein is more digestible (94% versus 55-64%) when heated, probably due to alteration of the protein’s structure and the ability of digestive enzymes to infiltrate peptide bonds.
As for drawbacks, there’s the well-circulated salmonella risk, which isn’t the dire prospect it’s often made out to be. The risk has been estimated as 1 in 10,000 (CDC) or 1 in 30,000 (Risk Analysis journal).
As you mention, eating raw eggs carries the eventual risk of a biotin deficiency. Although egg yolk is actually a rich source of biotin, the white contains avidin, a glycoprotein that bonds with biotin, preventing the nutrient’s absorption. Avidin is generally inactivated when cooked, which makes the biotin in the yolk fully available for absorption by the body.

Thanks Foxx,

I just thought that heated protein is more bioavailable. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

It IS more bioavailable when cooked. That's what the quoted text is saying. I don't know why you understood the opposite.

Oh, sorry... :(I meant raw protein (from raw eggs)

Laura said:
Altair said:
Yesterday I read articles about anti-nutrients in vegetables. It looks not so good. So my question is: which vegetables do you eat and how do you prepare them?

Thanks

Altair

Only ones we eat are green beans, lettuce, occasional beets and/or carrots, lettuce. Once in awhile, english peas. We make our own pickles and sauerkraut. We stay away from broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, etc.

Thanks Laura :)
Why should broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, etc. be avoided? Too much anti-nutrients? I've seen a couple of posts where forums members explicitly mentioned that they cook broccoli and kale.

Altair said:
Why should broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale, etc. be avoided? Too much anti-nutrients? I've seen a couple of posts where forums members explicitly mentioned that they cook broccoli and kale.

Here is an article on the crucifers family, will help clarify more:

_http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/07/should-we-eat-raw-crucifers.html

This thread is also relevant:

The Role of Oxalates in Autism and Chronic Disorders
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,18824.msg179170.html#msg179170

Thing is, of all the green veggies, I really liked spinach and kale and bok choy the most. But they sure don't like me!

Gaby said:
Ariadna said:
Hi Friends, here again looking for advice and help to recover as soon as possible ... because sometimes I feel sad, somewhat depressed and not want to get in that circle of despair and weakness.
My flu has not been such. I'm actually recovering from Epstein Barr virus. I has been extremely weak. Absolute loss of appetite. It started with flu symptoms on 13 January and continues with ups and downs until today. Twice I have gone to the hospital with episodes of palpitations and weakness. Two weeks ago my doctor prescribed Alprazolam 0.25 but I have not taken up to two days ago, because before I did not feel needed it . Last Friday Doctor prescribed me Propranolol 20 mgr at night, but I started to take it day too.

In the mornings until noon is when I feel worse without strength, my heart pounding. Then I 'm feeling better, more natural.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. Keep in mind that you just went through a very weakening illness and it can take months to recover from that. Chronic fatigue syndrome typically starts after flu like these ones.

Epstein Barr virus infections are usually diseases that increase your necessity of vitamin C, it is the "100 grams flu" so to speak. So if you were taking 4 grams or so and suddenly your body goes through a disease that requires 100 grams... then you know you were really hit hard and that your adrenals got shot. Have you read about adrenal fatigue?

Propanolol could certainly slow down heart rate, the bad news is that weakness, fatigue and depression are common side effects.

Sometimes a generous dose of potassium and magnesium will help a lot with heart palpitations. It is frequent to have palpitations when there is electrolyte imbalances, but also when there is a lack of nutrients like CoQ10, magnesium and omega 3s which promote a healthy heart rhythm. Once the electrical activity of the heart is vulnerable, it can be set off track by anything: stress, an infection, being hot, dehydration, etc. Vagal maneuvers are usually helpful to calm the heart's rhythm.

You will find this thread interesting:

Heart problems - advice appreciated
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16924.0

It has recommended supplementation. It is important to do the diet as well, as vulnerable people can have heart palpitations when they have evil additives like MSG, but also food intolerances.

Regarding diet, I started taking bread, and try to do the closest thing to Paleo diet.

I think this is a very bad idea. Anti-nutrients contained in bread behave like viruses. It could only compound the problem and further create havoc in your immune system. See for instance these articles (in Spanish):

El glúten ataca el cerebro y daña el sistema nervioso
http://es.sott.net/article/20129-El-gluten-ataca-el-cerebro-y-dana-el-sistema-nervioso

Abriendo la caja de Pandora: el rol crítico de la lectina de trigo en la enfermedad humana
http://es.sott.net/article/11292-Abriendo-la-caja-de-Pandora-el-rol-critico-de-la-lectina-de-trigo-en-la-enfermedad-humana

I think it is a good idea to just stick to 3 stage breathing and the Prayer of the Soul for the time being. You can resume beatha later as you feel stronger. How about re-watching some of the videos, for instance The Knowledge and Being videos? They are very inspiring :)

I would go through "Life Without Bread" thread instead of this one so you can get more ideas of what people ate at the initial stages of the diet. For instance blinis made out of buckwheat flour. There is also cassava flour which could substitute bread.

I think it is unfair for people to blame your diet for symptoms that are frequent after diseases like the one you just had :flowers:

Gaby Thanks for your help! You're always there.
Just read the replies from forum members makes me feel much more comforted and encouraged!
I am already taking Omega 3s ​​/ EPA 450mg / DHA 300mg. Chelated Magnesium 600 mg guess. okay? I'll ask Dr. Mercona CoQ10 (Ubinquinol).
Blinis have come out delicious (eggs, cream, buckwheat, stevia and a pinch of salt). I am attentive to all your instructions and suggestions.

:hug2: :)

H-kqge said:
Hello again!

Ariadna said:
My flu has not been such. I'm actually recovering from Epstein Barr virus. I has been extremely weak. Absolute loss of appetite.

I'm sorry to hear this. I spent the best part of two decades fighting this & when others talk about it, those memories return, along with the feelings of that time & I just want the gloom & despair gone. Don't worry, you have options & help is at hand. Other members may lend their voice regarding the specifics of what I will say, if wrong, but I think that bone broth may be the best thing to use to address the loss of appetite. Some people try to accelerate their transition period into paleo or KD & cause damage, if you're not one of those then "tightening" your paleo diet should be your priority. The same is true if you ARE one of the above people, I just wouldn't be able to advise you as good.

Also bare in mind that there are differences between bone broth & stock, similar to the way paleo & KD are. One leads into the other, that other being the more optimal diet. If you're unsure &/or haven't already, then try this for starters: http://www.sott.net/article/257416-Stock-vs-Broth-Are-You-Confused

There are A LOT of articles on this - mainly broth - just type in "bone broth" in the search box on SOTT, or this BOARD. The crux of the matter is to strengthen & heal the gut, this can take years & people vary in the length of time. I would say just keep sipping on you're drink second thing in the morning rather than first, & depending on your fat tolerance, you just repeat as you like throughout the day. Here's why I said second rather than first thing in the morning...

Electrolytes. Noting what Gaby has posted, here's an older entry of hers & I think that what's listed is very relevant in one way or another: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,488.msg78255.html#msg78255 as well as that, all of these processes described on the forum where diet & psychology are concerned are relatively easy to forget or overlook at times. So EVERYBODY needs to re-acquaint themselves with the information periodically - I'm doing so now! - "knowledge input on a daily basis", will help HUGELY from the short-term to long-term.

A short thread but still on the topic of salt... http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=9259.0

Personally as one of those who rushed into paleo I tried to compensate by "throwing the kitchen sink" at the diet. In other words, I found everything that was pertinent to the diet & used them all together. So herbs were included even though I felt that they wouldn't do much, I read what I could & did it anyway. I don't know how much good they did - it would be in a range, subtle in some people & more noticeable in others - but I'm not in the same place as I was six months ago. Turmeric, coriander, thyme, cloves, ginger, parsley, oregano.. http://www.sott.net/article/267008-Better-than-big-pharma-5-herbs-you-cant-do-without the same applies, search this BOARD and SOTT.

I too had heart palpitations, breathing trouble & then some, but they've long since disappeared - on paleo - & that was just in the beginning of the transition. Follow Gaby's advice & those by her & Laura in the link she provided on the "heart problems" thread, you'll see why. Lastly, here's page 13 of the magnesium thread regarding electrolytes http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,2354.msg402092.html#msg402092 as always, the whole thread is worth reading & reviewing.

This might interest you http://learningherbs.com with a free e-book too!

H-kqge Thanks! Extensive and interesting information!
Previous to this post talked of as anti-caking agent magnesium stearate. I have checked all the different brands of supplements and virtually all include it! It is difficult to avoid.
:hug2:

Gaby said:
Altair said:

Here is an article on the crucifers family, will help clarify more:

_http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/07/should-we-eat-raw-crucifers.html

This thread is also relevant:

The Role of Oxalates in Autism and Chronic Disorders
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,18824.msg179170.html#msg179170

Thanks Gaby,

it looks like plants and vegetables are not for 3D "consciousness reading units" but rather for the smaller 2D ones. :)

Altair said:
Thanks Gaby,

it looks like plants and vegetables are not for 3D "consciousness reading units" but rather for the smaller 2D ones. :)

Funny they are called cruciferous, they'll crucify you! ;P

I think the most benign veggies are green beans. I can't remember anybody saying that it inflamed them. There are always exceptions, but most people seem tolerate them pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom