Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Something that's interesting to me is that with ketones in the blood, the brain should be able to survive longer if oxygen or blood flow is stopped. For instance drowning, or cardiac arrest. Neuroprotective indeed!

I got this from a research study where they performed the experiment on mice, but I expect it would apply to humans as well.

I have news. I added the intermittent fasting idea based and inspired on sott articles. I already watched a documentary about it and some sort of protein or hormone with a weird name, but I didn't think it was useful. I still think the idea is getting a good bunch of micronutrients without the high calorie input, but I still need to study more to understand how it works. I plan to fast once a month 1 day, based on the articles you can fast after 8 hour or something, I try to go 12 hours.

And the fatigue is gone, I don't feel sleepy at 3 pm. If I do it is because I didn't sleep properly, but i've been cured halleluya. I don't know what happened, but I'm good. My sleep improves just leaving some tobacco leaves burning in a cigarette like incense ;D

A good way to do intermittent fasting is to eat only during a 6 to 8 hour period during the day (e.g. 9AM to 4PM) and eat nothing until the next day at the same time window (this way you have 16 to 18 hours of fasting every day). FWIW.

I would like to share some observations about sweet cravings. Please take them with a grain of salt (or more - you need the sodium :D), they are just subjective musings, and suggestions are welcome, of course.

When starting with the diet, I didn't have any cravings, probably owing to the novelty of the "new lifestyle", and the excitement about it, but now, a couple of months into it, they are hitting me hard. I found these strategies helpful:

1. Smoke a cigarette
2. Keep a batch of Chateau chocolates around, if you crave chocolate, you can actually have it, and there are no second thoughts of running to the next store and getting a Kitkat bar
3. Work on your emotional background: Are you having the cravings in particular situations? Are they connected to specific feelings? Depression, sadness, filling a void? Boredom or "rewarding yourself"?
4. Work on your hormonal issues - are the cravings hitting during a particular time in your cycle? (I recently started to use Progesterone cream again, but cannot yet report results)
5. Ponder the consequences: If you give in, you will feel very sick. And you've been there before, haven't you? And you want to be there again? Think about it, really?
6. Eat a couple of slices of red or green chilli peppers (in my case this kills the craving immediately). Chilli peppers are nightshades, but compared to running to the next store and buying the aforementioned Kitkat bar, maybe the better option for people without sensitivities

M.T.

I thought cravings for sweets would be gone after a few months of a proper ketogenic diet.

Lately I've been snacking on organic pickles.

hlat said:
I thought cravings for sweets would be gone after a few months of a proper ketogenic diet.

Lately I've been snacking on organic pickles.

Maybe after a while - and after some initial excitement about the positive effects - on the KD the old programs kick in again. I don't have a lot of cravings, but found, that the fat bomb is a good way of "treating" that. And one piece of chocolate a day ...

I think I need to...bulk order these and experiment. O_O 768g of dairy fat, mostly saturated, with 0 carbs...
_http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cream/heavy-whipping-cream/pasteurized-64-oz-4/

I tired of pan-cooking all the time in May and April (solar-only here, food processors take too much electricity, no freezer, etc.)...

My cravings for sweet things have pretty much gone entirely, the thing is, i had reasonable control before but always had to eat chocolate after my main meal. (It was probably quite related to blood sugar, it continued even when i ate Paleo).

Appreciate the heads up M.T! I'm about 3 weeks in and totally understand your comments that it may be triggered by emotional discomfort, and even funnier, 'rewards'. I did supplement a mad craving the other day - i was so tired i felt drunk- with a cocoa fat bomb, it tasted like the fanciest hot chocolate ever. It took most of my energy to do that. So as you say, best to have some reserves close by!

Actually, speaking of reserves. I find smoked mackerel is super cheap, keeps for a while and so makes a great emergency savoury snack. You can just tear pieces of and go! ;)

The sweet cravings only really got to me when I was eating cashews semi-regularly. That led to more cravings which I tried to temper with blackberries. Dropping one for the other resulted in either constipation, (cashews) or loose stools (blackberries). The fat bomb keto-cake-cum-ice cream has curbed those cravings completely. I use slightly above what I need for the xylitol in the keto recipe (one batch for 3 days) and after a day or two of ever too sweet ice cream, my next batch is down by a tablespoon. Smoking definitely does help for me although, I feel hungry for about an hour or two. I'm upping my fat intake slowly every week to compensate.

Whenever I get cravings it's a pretty good indication that I've gone overboard on carbs or protein. Usually getting everything back under control, even fasting for the morning, gets rid of the cravings entirely.

Skyalmian said:
I think I need to...bulk order these and experiment. O_O 768g of dairy fat, mostly saturated, with 0 carbs...
_http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cream/heavy-whipping-cream/pasteurized-64-oz-4/

I tired of pan-cooking all the time in May and April (solar-only here, food processors take too much electricity, no freezer, etc.)...

It sounds like great product for the carb count, but you are still ingesting casein protein, which a practically a twin to gluten protein and therefore a big no-no. See here, here and here, just a few of the many posts on why casein is bad news. Gaby wrote a great article on the same subject.

Other than butter or ghee, if it comes from a cow, goat, sheep, whatever, I'd avoid it like the plague. :scared:

dugdeep said:
Whenever I get cravings it's a pretty good indication that I've gone overboard on carbs or protein. Usually getting everything back under control, even fasting for the morning, gets rid of the cravings entirely.

Yeah. Cravings get triggered internally, and one main reason is not getting enough fat. The fat bombs should fix it. Also, proper digestion so that the body is actually getting the nutrients/fat energy. Try Betaine HCl when eating fats.

One interesting thing I noted with the fat bomb is, that now my bowel movements are much more regularly and softer ... Seems to me that this is the food that the gut just loves. Before the fat bomb I needed regular magnesium to keep things going, but now I take magnesium solely for the magnesium.

Pretty darn good thing, the fat bomb ...

Just for what it's worth, I don't get cravings since being in ketosis, except for eating cashews, which is hard to stop eating once I start. I think in my case, I would have to go below around 65% of daily calories from fat to have cravings be triggered from lack of fat (which hasn't happened). Or REALLY eating WAY to much protein - only happened a couple of times. But I only eat pretty much fatty meat/bacon/liver, butter, and eggs exclusively and try to keep in the range of of 75% to 85% of calories from fat.

For another quick fat supplement idea, I have hot cocoa with a bit of stevia, cocoa butter and lots of butter (get about 80 grams of fat per cup).

Back
Top Bottom